[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 53 KB, 640x480, external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8205524 No.8205524 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished pic related as the dude and played a bit as the girl. Any other games like this? Real-time characters on a pre-rendered background like RE, but with a focus on melee combat?
>Soul of the Samurai (pic related)
>Onimusha
>Vampire Hunter D
>T.R.A.G.
>Time Commando

>> No.8205539

>>8205524
>Are there any games like this?
>lists games like this
Just talk to a mirror, dude.

>> No.8205556

>>8205539
I meant besides those, since I already know about them...

>> No.8205652
File: 1.68 MB, 640x480, doh.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8205524
>Resident Evil if he samurai
I enjoyed this game a lot, but the concept was a bit on the nose. Still, the setting, rhythm-based combat and weapon/technique collecting is tons of fun.

Galerians: basically Akira meets Dark City. ESP-based combat and generally charming japanese-style adolescent angst and edginess.

Parasite Eve II: mixes some jRPG elements but otherwise it was the series' hard swerve towards RE territory. Pretty deep and challenging and story-wise you don't even need to play the first game really, but you might also enjoy it (I like it better).

Alone in the Dark: despite Capcom's bullshit corporate-mandated story about Sweet Home being the inspiration for RE, this game is almost painfully obvious as the real template for the genre. It's light on combat and generally pretty comfy, but has lots of point-and-click adventure-style puzzles and instakill situations. The second and third game are more combat-based (specially the second), but design-wise they are all over the place. The fourth game (The New Nightmare) converges into the Resident Evil template in turn.

>> No.8205672

>>8205652
Sweet Home was the original inspiration for the game as Fujiwara told Mikami's team to make a spiritual successor to the game. Mikami says the game and team went through different versions, and was moved to the PlayStation. One version had ghosts and they thought about first person game as well. I can easily see an alternate version resembling the King's Field series instead. But it was after Mikami found Alone in the Dark (possibly 3D0 version given the timing) that he decided to base the game on that. There's still a lot of Sweet Home DNA in the final game though, like each character having special skillsets that allows them to traverse the mansion.

>> No.8205721
File: 499 KB, 400x198, AHOOOOOGA.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8205524
Can't go wrong with Fear Effect 1/2 probably

>>8205672
I see Sweet Home as the prompt more than the "inspiration", but honestly there's not much point in defending or criticizing the process given the outcome is undeniably a classic; not saying that the end justifies the means, but either side of the argument tends to be too hung up on the be-all and end-all role of vacuum originality, which is a bit childish. It's kind of a Kimba the White Lion/The Lion King situation.

>> No.8205734

>>8205721
Alone in the Dark is a very interseting ground-breaking game, but Resident Evil is made by a bigger team with more advanced tech on more advanced hardware with more polish. 4 years was a million years in 90's tech era.

>> No.8205971
File: 390 KB, 1414x1380, 81Tz+spg21L._SL1414_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

give this a look