[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 307 KB, 393x550, la.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
819962 No.819962 [Reply] [Original]

Link's Awakening thread. Let's talk about how great this game is.

My favorite songs are probably The Ghost's House and Southern Shrine, for those who have the same soundtrack as me. Really great songs. I love Tal Tal Heights, of course, as well as the throwback of Color Dungeon (for those who have the DX version, as well as the original Zelda on NES), but I still love the songs I mentioned the most. It's a great soundtrack no matter how you slice it.

Anyway, let's just talk about gameboy Zelda for a while. Link's Awakening, Oracle, or Minish Cap welcome. As long as it's a handheld Zelda, it belongs in this thread.

>> No.819976

I did buy the Oracle games when they went on sale on the 3DS eshop. I'm about to beat Seasons and about to start Ages.

If I have one complaint about the Oracle games so far, it's that for everything they fixed from LA, they fucked something else up. They're good games, but I'd still rather play Link's Awakening. Call me a nostalgia fag, but I think it's a better game.

Maybe Oracle of Ages will prove me wrong, but I doubt it. Eh. It's a personal preference.

>> No.819990

C'mon, /vr/, I know you guys like this game. Let's get some discussion going.

We can at least talk about the other handheld Zeldas.

>> No.820023

The first Link's Awakening romhack has been released a few days ago. I haven't tried it yet but there are some reviews
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1188/

there will probably be more in the future since an editor for it has been made

>> No.820028

>>819962
was this the one that was on the gameboy?

>> No.820086
File: 431 KB, 546x375, Legend_of_the_Wind_Fish.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>819976
i wouldn't hesitate to describe link's awakening as being better than the oracle games. It's been a long time since i played the oracles, but they never grabbed me the way LA did. Dungeons design wasn't as thoughtful, characters weren't as memorable, overall story was lackluster. Although I suppose it's unfair to compare oracles and LA in terms of story / character. When Koholint disappeared I had all kinds of feels

>> No.820152

>>820023
Somebody please upload a patched ROM, I'm on my phone. No IPS Patcher for me.

>> No.820238

Oracle of Ages was probably my favourite handheld Zelda game, even moreso than LA Dx, the harp adds some fun puzzle solving elements with quite a few that were actually prettydam challenging playing as a kid. Heard Oracle of Seasons is more action based but i've yet to play that, probably will on 3DS after ages.

>> No.820267

Southern Shrine cover
youtu.be/jKGVvTBEGJw

>> No.820446

I fucking love Kazumi Totaka's music work on this game. It, For the Frog the Bell Tolls and SML2 6 Golden Coins.
He did some pretty awesome music on the Game Boy.

>> No.820468

>>820152
http://wwwdotmediafire.com/?t6z1nuahy7ct6a9

>> No.820469

>>820468
Well that didnt work as expected,

http://www.mediafire.com/?t6z1nuahy7ct6a9

here ya go

>> No.820482

>>820469
Thank you, man. You are why I love /vr/.

>> No.820536

If I were to compose a list of my top 50 games, Seasons and Ages would both definitely get a spot.

The music, the stories...I loved everything about them. I liked the two world thing they did in Seasons, but Ages was the one that really stuck out to me. I think Ages is the perfect example of what portable Zelda should be like.

Geez, Game Boy Color really was like the highest point in handheld gaming.

>> No.820540

I love Link's Awakening. I had 2 older brothers who had an NES when I was little. I was born in 84 and would watch them play LOZ and AOL and then fail miserably at playing them until i got a little older. I was in fifth grade when I first played Link's Awakening and I remember loving every second of it. I was a little disappointed with the DX version because I was hoping that the color palette was going to be a little better, but maybe I just set my hopes too high. I love playing the original Link's Awakening on my Advance SP, I love using the sepia color scheme.

I like the oracle games mainly because it is just more handheld LOZ to play. I'm about 50/50 on what I like and dislike about it but overall instead of playing Link's Awakening over and over again, it's nice to play the oracles and then go back to link's awakening and be like 'ahhhhhh.'

One of my biggest Legend of Zelda wet dreams is for a link's awakening remake in the style of twilight princess. or even a style of lesser quality but more free roaming.

I like Minish Cap too, there are times where I just don't give a shit about it but every once in awhile I crave it.

And, since you said this thread can be about any handheld Zelda, I have to ask... what are your thoughts on A Link To The Past - A Link Between Worlds or whatever they are calling it. I have yet to ever be genuinely displeased with a Zelda game, yeah each one has different ups and downs but I honestly enjoy them all. I'm looking forward to this one but the demo footage that is circulating is pissing me off because so far all I have seen is stuff that was in ALttP.

>> No.820558
File: 229 KB, 960x640, Photo May 16, 10 50 37 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]