[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 168 KB, 300x300, 1310514055618.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
813910 No.813910 [Reply] [Original]

Is quality ps1 emulation possible on a hacked Wii? I'm really wanting to play Symphony of the Night through a TV and using WiiSX is slow as balls. Is there anything better?
Also through some emulators the opening cutscene in SotN has no sound?

>> No.813965

Also at the beginning of the game there is a secret room with several weapons. What are these here for? As far as I can tell they don't carry over when you begin the game as Alucard.

>> No.813971

Maybe when the guys from retroarch code a PowerPC dynarec, otherwise you're stuck with WiiSX.

>> No.813973

You could get SotN on Xbox Live if you have an Xbox.

Those items *might* influence your starting stats slightly. I remember some things during the Richter part will do that, but I think most of it is related to fighting Dracula. Taking no damage, not having to be revived, beating him quickly, stuff like that.

>> No.813983

>>813973
Yeah I think the only thing to affect stats is taking no damage and not using Items against him. Both of which are incredibly difficult.

>> No.813987

>>813971
>retroarch
That would be badass. I love using Retroarch for pretty much all other emulation needs. Setting it to snes resolution looks phenomenal on my tv.

>> No.814001

The only console available that can do quality PS1 emulation is a PS2 or PS3. PS2 is far easier to modify to read burned discs. Or if you could hook your phone up via HDMI to your television, maybe you could play games that way too.

>> No.814098

Alright. So i updated the WiiSX version that I was using to the unofficial beta 2.1 mod 2. and with dynarec, frame skip and limit on the game runs pretty damn well. I hope it does for the remainder of the game.

>> No.814154

>>814098
Glad that worked out for you, but do not expect this to hold up for other PS1 games. You're lucky SotN is a fairly simple 2D game. The Wii just isn't strong enough to handle PS1 emulation in general, unless someone wrote an emulator built from the ground up around the Wii's architecture, and even then I would not expect anything but the simpler games with a ton of speedhacks and frameskip to work well.

I really suggest you look elsewhere for your PS1 fix in the future.

>> No.814170

>>814154
Yeah I definitely understood SotN was probably going to be the only game that would work properly but I just really didn't want to sit and stare at my laptop for several hours at a time, and besides this game looks much better on a television.

>> No.814195

>>814154
It's not the Wii's hardware or architecture (which is just run of the mill PowerPC, not specialized like the 360 or PS3) It's just the guys who were writing the emulator were more interested in working on the 64 emulator than this one. PS1 is a really straightforward and somewhat simple device to emulate, even a Dreamcast can run Playstation 1 games at 60 frames and double resolution.

Also SotN has some complex 3D tricks going on to render the 2D graphics, which leads it to be more demanding than it lets on. Actual 2D games like Tomba! and Alundra run perfectly.

>> No.814212

>>814195
As well as all the other things Isn't Alucard's cape 3D? If it isn't then damn that's some sexy animation.

>> No.814268

>>814170
Actually a lot of games work properly
>http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compatibility_list_(beta_2)
>http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiSX/Compatibility