[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.48 MB, 3150x2175, saturn_fighters_megamix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8134894 No.8134894 [Reply] [Original]

Hard to believe that this game's almost 25 years old...

Though I wonder, how come this game was only a Saturn exclusive and wasn't released in the arcades? I'm sure it would have made money. Also, for those who've played it, who are your mains? And would you forward to a remaster of this game?

>> No.8135224

Fuck you

>> No.8135796
File: 253 KB, 1200x900, C0NQfC-W8AAbunM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.8135846

>>8134894
I played so much of this back in the day -- lovely memories of running kicks, exploding armour, and shattering gates as bodies flew for miles. Shooting people with Jane was also an amusing touch.

>> No.8135970

>>8135796
Holy typos. Copy/paste is a thing Sega wagie.

>> No.8137090

Sega refuse to port anything Saturn related like they choose to ignore it existed.

>> No.8137146
File: 132 KB, 595x800, Eok8AM3W8AEVGS8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8134894
Loved this game... along with KoF, the responsible of kickstarting the crossover fighter craze.

>> No.8137604

>>8137090
>Sega refuse to port anything Saturn related like they choose to ignore it existed.

That's not entirely true. Sega ported a lot of Saturn games directly to the PC between 1995 - 1998, or so. Image related is a port of the Saturn version of Last Bronx. Almost all of their PC ports were either ports of genesis games to PC or Saturn to PC (with some enhancements). Sega would port the odd Saturn game like NiGHTs or Panzer Dragoon. But, outside of that, most are still on the Saturn. Including Fighters MegaMix. MegaMix is a game that I really only rented a few times, and never put much time into. I did own Fighting Vipers, VF 1 and 2 for the Saturn. Fighters MegaMix does play mostly like Fighting Vipers, as it uses the same game engine. But has a Virtua Fighter 2.5 character roster with the 3D dodge game play of VF3. There were lots of talk of Virtua Fighter 3 being ported to the Saturn. There were even some claims that the Saturn port would have used either a RAM cartridge or a "64x" upgrade for the console. But Virtua Fighter 3 was using Sega's latest Model 3 arcade board (for the time), and a direct port really wasn't possible. Maybe the VF characters in this game with their partial VF3 move list was leftover from that? The character that I used the most was Janet from Virtua Cop 2.

>>8137146
>the responsible of kickstarting the crossover fighter craze.

King of Fighters did it first though. By the time Fighters MegaMix came out in 1996, there was already a KOF '94, KOF '95 and KOF '96. King of Fighters was used as a sampler for all of SNk's fighting games. Fighters MegaMix was used for the same purpose. Get players acquainted with both of AM2's main fighting franchises. But it was meant to be more of a fun party game, and not meant to be taken as serious competitive game.

>> No.8137609
File: 926 KB, 1440x1979, 097.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ultimate Fighting Universe was better

>> No.8137671

It came out near the very end of the Saturn's life.
Sega weren't going to put money into this as an arcade title first, then release it on the saturn.

It would have looked worse than it already did had it been released in the arcades on the FV engine THEN released on the saturn looking very downgraded.

The game was meant to be running on the FV saturn engine but when you compare FV to FM you can see that FM took more of a downgrade because its stages had all been lowered in quality.

The cages were now just solid walls, the foreground was now fully flat 2d, some objects had been removed, shadows looked more blockish.

Fighters megamix is a good game and one which could have been epic but you can tell sega were cutting SO many corners with it.

The hidden characters are the worst of any roster. You have great characters like the muslim guy from vf1 who got cut, Janet from vc2.....then the rest are total shite like the daytona car, palm tree.
They should of added characters like sor axel, the rider from panzer dragoon, sonic, shinobi, the chicken guy from alien soilder. They had so many options but instead gave us shit

>> No.8137726

>>8137671
>The hidden characters are the worst of any roster. You have great characters like the muslim guy from vf1 who got cut, Janet from vc2.....then the rest are total shite like the daytona car, palm tree.

AM2 were only using their own characters, and not Sega's characters. Bean and Bark from Sonic the Fighters were created by AM2. Rent-A-Hero was directed by Yu Suzuki. Virtua Cop 2, Daytona USA are AM2's games as well. Daytona USA is AM2's most successful game, overall. It was great to see them add the Hornet car as a hidden fighter. Unused character from Virtua Fighter was a nice addition.

But I agree that the characters like the Palm Tree and non-animated bear thing were bad.

>> No.8137802

>>8137671
>total shit like the daytona car
Man, your asshole is so tight from your serious gamer cynicism.

>> No.8138221

>>8137604
Wow you only had to go back 23 years the find the last time Sega ported Saturn games.

>> No.8138239

>>8138221
>Wow you only had to go back 23 years the find the last time Sega ported Saturn games.

In recent years, Saturn games have generally been ignored by Sega. Outside of NiGHT's, Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2, and something like Guardian Heroes. But otherwise, Sega generally bypasses Saturn for Dreamcast, as the Dreamcast is actually easier to emulate.

>> No.8138272

My first experience with the Saturn was the port of Sonic R in the Gems collection. I thought it was really cool, because at the time I only knew of their Genesis and Dreamcast eras. Seeing a Sega game that looked like an N64 era game was shocking at the time.

Out of all the never to be ported games, one that surprises me the most is Saturn Bomberman. It's considered a fan classic, it's a highly sought after Saturn title, Hudson (now Konami) re-releases and compiles a lot of Bomberman titles, but that one is forever locked on the Saturn. Imagine a remake with online support today. I suspect they won't ever do it because it would take players away from Super Bomberman R, their current online game.

>> No.8138337
File: 433 KB, 1133x1255, SonicSpeedPack_PC_US_Box_Expert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8138239

here's a list of every Saturn to PC port that I can come up with. I may still be missing a couple titles. Most of them are Sega arcade games that were ported to Saturn, then the Saturn Versions were ported to PC with varying degrees of enhancements. The majority of these games were published by a group called Expert Software. I'd like to see some of these get released on GOG.

> Virtua Fighter PC (1996) - Port of Virtua Fighter Remix with additional options)
> Virtua Fighter 2 (1997) - Port of the Saturn Virtua Fighter 2, but has D3D rendering and option to use arcade game models.
> Daytona USA (1996) - Port of the Saturn game. has 640x480, but runs at 20fps.
> Panzer Dragoon (1997) - Saturn port
> Sega Rally Championship (1997) - Saturn Port. had D3D rendering.
> The House of the Dead (1998) Saturn Port - but has option for arcade meshes and I think has D3D rendering.
> Daytona USA Deluxe (1998) Saturn port of Daytona: CE/ SCE, has a bunch of extra features and D3D rendering.
> Last Bronx (1998) Saturn port of the arcade game. Also contains options for arcade models,and has D3D rendering.
> Manx TT Super Bike (1998) - Saturn port
> Sega Touring Car Championship - Saturn port
> Sonic R (1998) - saturn port with D3D.
> Sonic 3D Blast (port of the saturn game, but doesn't have the Saturn bonus stages).
> Bug! (1997) - (Saturn port)
> Bug Too! (Saturn port) - This one was released by SegaSoft and not Expert Software.
> Virtua Squad 1 and 2 - These are the Virtua Cop Saturn ports renamed to Virtua Squad, for whatever reason.
> NBA Action - Port of the Sega Saturn basketball game
> Sega WorldWide Soccer (PC) - Saturn port
> Cyber Troopers Virtual-On - Saturn port
> SCUD: Disposable Assassin - Saturn Port, released by SegaSoft
> Three Dirty Dwarfs - Saturn Port, and released by Sega Soft

>> No.8138350
File: 185 KB, 1280x892, fmm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8134894
i fucking love this game but really it was just vf2 + fv1 + extras.
graphically its way worse than vf2 for some reason. models are noticeably lower poly.
the selling point back then besides the merging of both games was that the vf2 characters have some vf3 moves.

sega probably saw it as a filler release before vf3 saturn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

>> No.8138365

>>8138337
I remember when I was 10 and finding like 12 discs of Sega games I've literally never heard of on PC-ROM discs at his house. Being in Europe I had literally no idea the Saturn ever existed.

I'm staring at these weird fucking orange discs for Sonic Racing and Sega Rally and Virtua On thinking this has to be fake. Like as if Sega would make games for PC.

>> No.8138386

>>8138365
>I remember when I was 10 and finding like 12 discs of Sega games I've literally never heard of on PC-ROM discs at his house. Being in Europe I had literally no idea the Saturn ever existed.

I owned quite a few of those Saturn to PC ports for my Windows 98 machine. I would pick them up for $5.99 or so, from discount bargain bins. They were generally treated like shovel ware releases. Virtua Fighter 2 was quite good for a Saturn port that was not based on the arcade game. Some of the ports were pretty good, while others were too close to their Saturn counterparts. Sega also released quite a few PC games during the Dreamcast era as well. Sega Rally 2 was a port of the Dreamcast game.

>> No.8138387

Is Bahn literally just Jotaro?

>> No.8138408

>>8138387
Yes.
Also, Jane is Private Vasquez from Aliens.

>> No.8138423 [DELETED] 

>>8138350
>graphically its way worse than vf2 for some reason. models are noticeably lower poly.

Fighting Vipers (Saturn):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaOCCZLwykw

Fighters MegaMix:
https://youtu.be/QIIrAKUSXDY?t=150

Fighters MegaMix uses the Fighting Vipers engine. So, the poly count and resolution is pretty equal to that. Though Fighters MegaMix adds gourad shading.

>> No.8138434

>>8138350
>graphically its way worse than vf2 for some reason. models are noticeably lower poly.

Fighting Vipers (Saturn):
https://youtu.be/QIIrAKUSXDY?t=150

Fighters MegaMix:
https://youtu.be/GaOCCZLwykw?t=1875

Fighters MegaMix uses the Fighting Vipers engine. So, the poly count and resolution is pretty equal to that. Though Fighters MegaMix adds gourad shading.

>> No.8138497

>>8138434
It's based on a different engine.

>> No.8138506

>>8138497
I heard somewhere that it was based on a different engine.

>> No.8138520

Don't know what engine it uses but it's based

>> No.8140492
File: 52 KB, 680x659, if only you knew how NICE things really are.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8138520
>>8138506
>>8138497

>> No.8140503
File: 1.32 MB, 640x490, 1595885032291.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw they sampled the life alert commercial for one of the tracks for fighting vipers
>mfw shit still slaps too
https://youtu.be/VMH4v9PZxSg

>> No.8140714

There's nothing that angers me more in all of videogames than playing an old fighter and it has no command list in the game. Like fuck you dude.

That shit probably takes literally 2 hours to program too.

>> No.8141287

>>8140714
it has command training

>> No.8142185

>>8141287
>it has command training

I was going to say the same thing. For it's time, Fighters Megamix had one of the better training modes for its time. Complete with moves list and examples to show the timings. It was rare to find a 16 bit fighting game with a moves list menu. Where there any?

>> No.8142240
File: 149 KB, 906x721, kuma.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8142185
>examples to show the timings
i don't remember this? i had to do a lot of mashing back in the day to figure out exactly when they wanted some inputs.
also for awhile it was rare for fighting games to even have training mode. idk what game made it a standard