[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 724 KB, 1680x1050, System-Shock-2-HD-Wallpaper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.8003419 [Reply] [Original]

It's incomplete because of time constraints right? It just seems like they're jerking the gherkin at this point. "Oops, we need to finish the game now."

>> No.8003468

>>8003419
I used to play system shock 2 very frequently. I love the game, I love fps rpgs, and I have an autistic obsession with thematic character builds.
However, my system shock 2 "playthroughs" would always end at the Body Of The Many and never pick back up. Eventually I had a playthrough where I forced myself to play the BofM for the first time since the first time I beat SS2. It was awful, a totally painful experience. Even with a fully upgraded grenade launcher and assault rifle, it was just a never ending mess of pain. I cannot fathom doing the level with an intentionally suboptimal build or anything less than the two very best weapons in the game.

>> No.8003521

>>8003468
>However, my system shock 2 "playthroughs" would always end at the Body Of The Many and never pick back up.
Same for me in Thief except it's "Haunted Cathedral". At that point I just skip to Thief 2.

>> No.8003792

>>8003419
Nibba just save the 4 ICEpicks for the last moment like I did as a dumb kid once :)

>> No.8003821

>>8003419
>It's incomplete because of time constraints right?
the game or the area (which one?)
the streamlined levels towards the end were mostly done by Irrational, while the exploratory levels that are the meat of the game were done by LGS. in a sense that's appropriate, since by the late game your character is done and scrounging around for a couple modules is pointless.
Body of the Many is, uh, experimental. I don't really mind it aside from platforming. Rickenbacker is much worse.

>>8003521
that's like a quarter in. do you mean Return to the Cathedral?

>> No.8003946

You're all whining zoomers. The endgame of SS2 is not that bad. Recently replayed the game, Body of the Many was easy and short. The last fight against the "brain" is the best of the whole game, finally got the opportunity to set the assault rifle to full auto mode and unload on the opposition. Much better than the actual final boss.

>> No.8003971

>>8003419
The last part is straightforward, depending on your build I guess. I left one run somewhere around the body of the many, but most runs I finish the job because at that point why not. I agree that the early game is the interesting part, the last part is just tying up loose ends and enjoying your build.

>> No.8004075

I just cheat everytime. Who cares, it's boring as fuck and if you end up with no ammo for the last fight, you're fucked. Shodan in cyberspace is mad easy though.

>> No.8004109

>>8003946
Agreed. I think people complain just because it's a little more difficult than prior sections.

Wrecking everything with the assault rifle makes you realize how far you've come since the beginning and it has that feeling like you've truly beaten a boss

>> No.8004114

>>8003946
/thread
OP's a retard

>> No.8004292
File: 35 KB, 640x640, mr_brain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>8003521
>Same for me in Thief except it's "Haunted Cathedral". At that point I just skip to Thief 2.

>> No.8004386

>>8003946
It's one of those situations where people are using bad design as a euphemism for difficulty. If they experience the least bit of frustration, oh this is incomplete, this is rushed, this isn't as good (as the parts I didn't struggle on).

>> No.8004397

>>8003419
It'll close up the story and it takes about five minutes, just finish the game.

>> No.8004423

>>8003946
The whole game you’re saving ammo and hypos for “later”. The BotM IS that “later”, don’t bother saving anything anymore, bring your most powerful guns and fire away with abandon, using as many hypos as needed. No need to be “careful” at that point, the game is almost over. Shitters have trouble understanding this

>> No.8004482

>>8003946
The whole game you’re saving ammo and hypos for “later”. The BotM IS that “later”, don’t bother saving anything anymore, bring your most powerful guns and fire away with abandon, using as many hypos as needed. No need to be “careful” at that point, the game is almost over. Shitters have trouble understanding this

>> No.8004590
File: 1.65 MB, 200x150, lookatthisshit.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>8003521
>Same for me in Thief except it's "Haunted Cathedral". At that point I just skip to Thief 2.

>> No.8005062

>>8003821
>that's like a quarter in. do you mean Return to the Cathedral?
Halfway point. Aside from Thieve's Guild, all the shitty levels are after that one so I just quit.

The Mage Towers - Cool concept awful level
The Lost City - Not a fan
Song of the Caverns -- It's ok
Undercover -- Cool the first time you play
Return to the Cathedral -- Real good
Escape! -- Awful
Strange Bedfellows -- Awful
Into the Maw of Chaos -- Awful

I don't enjoy Return so much that I would want to slog through 4 levels I don't like to get to it. I do all the objectives besides picking the 2k gold out of trash and move on. Last time I played I got to Escape and just quit right there because I knew all the good levels were over. I don't have infinite time to play shit I don't enjoy for gamer cred.

>> No.8005504

>>8003419
You can skip it but it also mean you didn't beat the game. The game should be really easy by the last 4th anyway since your stats and weapons should be fully developed by that point so it's confusing as to what's stopping you at that point. Especially with quicksaves.