[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 145 KB, 500x585, 1365839806088.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
796440 No.796440 [Reply] [Original]

Wanna know why I don't care much for the newest gaming hype? Because in my mind I always think to myself that if I dropped out of the next gen of gaming (take this upcoming 8th, for example) I have a fucking - PLETHORA - of backlogged older gen consoles/games to play. Now don't misunderstand: I may buy the new gen whatever, but... well again take this 8th gen. If, for whatever reason, I decide to not get a WiiU, PS4, or CrossBOne, I would have every console that came before them, and every game thereon, to play. There's not enough time in my life to go through a formidable portion of that enormous of a backlog to satiate me. I have the NES and its entire library, the PS1 and its entire library, the Genesis and its entire library, the XBox and its entire library, the GameBoy Advance and its entire library etc etc etc. There is a palpable wealth of gaming in all that. So, not to say I won't buy any new gen thing, but if I decided not to, I have quite enough to keep me busy til my dying days, LITERALLY.

Anyone else think this way? Anyone else find comfort in these thoughts, like I do? I guess for those who just HAVE to have the new stuff (the new innovations and all) then this doesn't apply to you. But if this does, then I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

>> No.796463

I've never been an early adopter for any console. I didn't even get a PS3 til 2009. I agree with you for the most part. There will always be an endless supply for old games for you to check out or re-visit, and there's comfort to be had in that. However, if you're a true fan of video games as a whole, you shouldn't turn a blind eye to what the future holds.

>> No.796523

The only 7th generation console I don't own yet is a PS3. I will in time. But honestly, I think this is the last console generation for me. I agree OP: gaming is getting too money hungry for my taste. Getting watered down. I'll stick with what I have, and be fine til my later years.

>> No.796562
File: 42 KB, 800x720, gfs_38539_1_9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I agree with you entirely. I'm still thoroughly enjoying the PS2 and that's beyond being "retro" enough that I can enjoy its library like any modern system. That's not even mentioning all of the games and JRPGs I can play that have translations available on the internet or any of the obscure titles available on older computer platforms (such as the Japanese ones like the MSX, pc-88, etc.)

>>796523

I keep thinking that if a generation of game consoles come out that ruin gaming like a corporatist Xbox One reality then I can easily and safely drop out of it all and retreat to the safety of my backlog "bomb shelter" and enjoy playing retro games for the rest of my life. Fortunately, the latest generation seems like it might work out so I'm gonna keep posted on it still for the time being.

>> No.796581

I do play a lot on my Xbox 360. But I bought it in 2007 just for Dead Rising back then.

and I will wait a loong time before I even touch the PS4 - XBOXNONE is a no-go anyway.

I have like 600 games - I could play till I die with all the retro stuff...

>> No.797872

The 'new' generations are bringing in features and idioms that I just cannot stand, so good riddance.

>> No.797890

I don't give a fuck anymore either. upcoming consoles are friggin terrible even though I like the PS4 for the most part and what Mark Cerny does.

but you know, I'd rather emulate my ass off. costs nothing and you have tons of games. I think it's insane how fast the years go by and then suddenly all the systems and the games with it ALL vanish from the stores, just to be picked up later by collectors or whatever and never be played again if it wasn't for emulation.

>> No.797898

YES, I mean the modern consoles look like shit anyway and I'm not intersted in the slightest but it's true, there are so many great games already, just being an RPG fan makes it impossible to play them all.
I spent half a year just on the Might and Magic series alone, and I keep discovering new stuff.
I wish I could finish them all to properly talk about it but fuck, there's just not enough time.
Which is a shame when genuinely good stuff comes out (kickstarter wave) and you just have to add it to your stockpile.

>> No.800692

I'm just tired of the money-hungry race that gaming has become. I have a wealth of retro games in my library to keep me comfortable forever. Does that entail me replaying several titles over and over again? Yes. And I am quite happy with that, because older games seemed to be about fun, so the replay value is high.

>> No.800719

>>796440
I work at a retro store so I never see the rush to upgrade but that's because stuff is coming to us all the time. As for the 8th generation the Xone is the only system I think I won't own/play but again, that's more to the fact people will be able to trade in the PS4 and I eventually borrow it on my time off and get to experience stuff that way.
Also OP this mind set tends to pop up in a lot of us when the heels of a new system launch is upon us. I think it's to drive out/protect us form all the marketing hype.

>> No.800740

that's assuming that the majority of each of those console's ibrary is worth playing, which I can safely say is not true for the NES, PSX, XBOX, GBA, etc.

>> No.800803

The new generation took the excitement of waiting for a new console away from me. Everyone's got incredibly subpar entries.

>> No.800815
File: 104 KB, 400x320, d7d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>800740

>> No.800873

>>800815
it's not an opinion? Do you really have a desire to pick through each and every shovelware game for the nes? Let alone those other consoles mentioned? Realistically speaking, there's a low, low chance you're going to even like 30-50 games from those consoles, and settle on fully playing even fewer

>> No.803690

A backlog won't do you any good when your friends and family are playing the newest and greatest experiences in gaming evolution, OP.

>> No.803759

>mfw I made a post just like OP's a couple of days ago

I totally get what you're saying. I'm 25 and actually had a chance to live through a lot of great consoles, but there's still so many titles that I never even touched from back then.

The games out there are finite, but there are so damn many I will never run out of great games to play. There's even entire consoles I've never tapped in to.

>> No.807079

People say this, until a beloved retro franchise is rebooted or HD-remade then they eventually cave.You might not want ALL of the latest and greatest, but something will spark your interest, whether it's retro-related or not.

>> No.809974

Can't agree more OP. Even if you strike out the games that are bad, you still have an over abundance of titles to play through.

>> No.811219

This is what happens when you create a thread with a good point, OP. Little to no discussion.

>> No.813726

bump

>> No.813826

Quite frankly I think 8-bit games are a load of shit, and with few exceptions are so riddled with bad design choices I can't imagine people much fun with them lacking nostalgia.

I've been thinking similar thoughts as the OP lately, basically getting all my playtime done through RetroArch. Wasn't planning on getting any new consoles as I only recently got on the PS3 boat and haven't found time to play a tenth of the games I've got for it.

Nintendo will once again trick me into buying their crap hardware again now that a new Donkey Kong Country has been announced. No plans to get the PS4 though, and definitely not the fucking Xbox One.

>> No.815164

>>813826
>Quite frankly I think 8-bit games are a load of shit
Meh, even if you think that, still PLENTY of consoles to play through.