[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 136 KB, 1280x800, mgstitle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
796218 No.796218 [Reply] [Original]

MGS2 was always one of my favorite games, but I never played the first one that much. With the MGSV stuff recently I wanted to go back and play it so I'm emulating.
First holy shit. I really forgot how much stuff was in mgs2 but not the first. It's kind of hard to play now because of all the things I'm used to (looking and popping around corners). Would it really be that much of a sin to play TTS?
Also how should I configure the plugins to work best?

>> No.796236

bump

>> No.796245

Think of MGS as a puzzle game if that helps, Twin Snakes is goo goo babby easy modo + dragonball z

>> No.796246

>>796218
I played the shit out of the first mgs and mgs twin snakes and I suggest playing mgs for ps and beating it. I did replay it a while back and I had to adjust to the controls and other works of the game. I prefer to play the mgs for ps over twin snakes because of the cut scenes. Twin snakes action in the cut scenes made me feel like I was watching a cheesy 80s action film and the voice work isn't as strong as the voices in the original mgs. If you want to try Twin Snakes, try it after completing mgs for ps

>> No.796249

>>796218

That's not a question you're gonna get a straight answer on. TS is reviled for a multitiude of reasons, and defended for just as many reasons. All that question does is bring out hate.

Personally, the game's a sin because it's TOO easy thanks to the MGS2 controls! For an MGS game to be too easy, that's saying something. I can forgive the wacky cutscenes, the VA changes, and numerous other things, but...yeah. Anyway, stick with the original if you want the barest hint of a challenge(even with the missing controls you refer to, it's still pretty easy).

>> No.796254

Play the original version then play TS.
Form your own opinion over the matter, because there's no objective reason one is better than the other.

Also, it's an amazing game regardless of version.

>> No.796259

>>796218
The Twin Snakes is TERRIBLE. The new mechanics make it way too easy and the cutscenes are full of stupid animu shit.

Play on PCSX. Use Pete's drivers for everything (they're pretty good out of the box, you don't need to fuck with the options much except to set the resolution). Make sure to go into the sound plugin's options and enable the MGS fix.

>> No.796262

>>796259
The default sound plugin a shit.

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_PSX_Plugins

This has some good info. Get the sound plugins there. They should work very nicely.

>> No.796267
File: 1.18 MB, 1920x1080, pcsxr 2013-01-30 20-18-16-52.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>796262

>> No.796274

Can't help you with the emulator, MGS 1 used to be kinda problematic for me too.

About the game itself, the stealth mechanics of Metal Gear Solid were always simplistic and somehow broken, and that's something that, being myself a fan of the first 3 MGS (and Ghost Babel), was hard to see until very recently. But somehow the series manages to be adictive sometimes.

The sequel has a concept directly related to this game, but you probably already know this. I'm talking about the S3 program, the Shadow Moses simulation, etc. Give it a try, it has flaws, yes, but it's still a masterpiece.

>> No.796276

Play MGS VR Missions. You'll be a stealth master when you go back to MGS. Wall knock mother fucker, do you use it? Use your items and weapons to full effect.

As for playing TTS play it after MGS. It removes some of the best lines and breaks the game.

>> No.796302

>>796276

Vr Missions is even more "tactial espionage action" than the real game.

>> No.796329

>>796302
>>796276
Aw yeah homies! I fucking LOVED VR Missions more than the actual MGS. So much fucking gameplay!

Even after my friend lost my first disc, I couldn't get enough and had to go buy another one.

>> No.796338

>>796236
Stay alert, OP.

He'll be through here. I know it.

I've got to go swat down a couple of bothersome flies.

>> No.798452

>>796302
>>796329
Yeah when I played MGS after 100%ing VR Missions I was a fucking monster. VR Missions does a good job of explaining all the ways items and weapons can be used.

I almost never wall knocked but after VR Missions (and Substance's VR Missions) that's my go to move in all MGS games. Instead of abusing the tranq guns I just disrupt enemy patterns and slip by.

>> No.798495

>>796276
The best advice in this thread. I'm rather put off by Kojima's lack of story-telling sense, but VR missions always get down to what I enjoy the most in these games.

>> No.798516

>Would it really be that much of a sin to play TTS?
The thing about it is, TTS doesn't do a very good job of implementing mechanics from MGS1 into MGS2. Features like hanging, caution mode, first-person shooting, holding-up guards etc, work with the enclosed and packed style of MGS2 because they were built with it from the ground up. TTS is still enjoyable 'cause it's based on a great game, but it was just features from one game shoehorned onto another, it just doesn't fit with the style. Add to that minor missteps like a lack of VR missions and dog tags that do nothing, MGS1 is just a clear winner. All things being the same, the only reason you'd go for the other game is if you don't like the original's graphics.

>> No.798517

Twin Snakes actually has a good in-lore explanation for being wacky as shit and super easy: it's MGS as recounted by Mei Ling (or Meryl? I forget) . Solid Snake doing shit like backflipping off of missiles is how she imagined it, and the easiness being how OP he is to her.

>> No.798769

>>798517
Holy shit

That's also why meiling speaks perfect English with no perceived accent

>> No.798806

>>796218
>Would it really be that much of a sin to play TTS?

Yes, because it's a cheap half-assed remake by some 3rd party. The music is completely different, and far worse. The textures are pretty bland. The whole game feels very lifeless.

>> No.798879

they re-did all the voices for the twin snakes and all the actors just read their lines blankly with no emotion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gx1A3wf1ug

Snake's ok but Naomi and Campbell are awful

>> No.799005

>>798879
But that's the same voice Paul Eiding used in the rest of the games.

>> No.801042

>>798879
Uhh they sound exactly the same, twin snakes just sounds higher quality.