[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 180x215, leisure suit larry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
795634 No.795634 [Reply] [Original]

Do I have to play Leisure Suit Larry 1, 2, and 3 to understand the stories of 5 and 6 and their deep and intricate lore?

>> No.795656

Not really, but they're all fun anyway.

>> No.795969

>deep and intricate lore

My sides, OP.

But no, you don't.

Original 1987 version of LSL 1 is best LSL. Although the 1991 VGA version with its MIDI music and hooked up to a Roland SC88-pro module is really nice, too.

>> No.796868

>>795634
A new version of Leisure Larry 1 has already been successfully Kickstarted and is coming out...as soon as some legal matters are resolved.

>> No.796885

No, but LSL 1,2 and 3 are a trilogy on their own, LSL5 is a stand alone title with some returning characters (Patty), but I guess you can consider LSL6 and 7 as another series since they are loosely connected.

>> No.796893

You can really play them in any order. There's no overarching storyline, and the most you get at the beginning of the next game is "Larry gets dumped and has to start anew."

LSL4, of course, doesn't exist. This is because they wrote themselves in to a corner with LSL3's airtight fairy tale ending and didn't know how to continue it, so they simply skipped 4 so they could return things to the status quo in 5 without having to explain it. That means that you don't have to understand anything to jump in to 5 either.

>> No.796896

>>795634
Nope. And I advise you don't play 2 without a walkthrough because it pulls some severe bitch moves.

>> No.796908

>>796896
This.

You can fuck up and make the game unwinnable, and the game literally won't let you know until a hour or two later and it's way too late to do anything about it.

>> No.796913

>>796893
>There's no overarching storyline

I agree there, but Larry's humor is self referential as fuck.

Also they didnt skip 4, the fourth one was supposed to be an online game, but they had a lot of troubles back then with such and ambicious project. There are details on Al Lowe's site.

>> No.796923

>>796913
They did skip it, for various reasons. They couldn't get online going like you said, but also because the storyline was wrapped up too neatly at the end LSL3.