[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 38 KB, 630x630, 48eb134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7913376 No.7913376 [Reply] [Original]

I've never played c64 before but I would like to get into it. what are some games to get started with? is it even possible to emulate via retro arch on the switch? you still need to enter commands to start a game or do emulators jump straight into games with you having to enter commands lines?

>> No.7913395

https://www.lemon64.com/games/votes_list.php

And most games can just be started by mounting the disk image in VICE and typing LOAD"*",8,1 followed by RUN.

Also beware that /vr/ is very bad at discussing retro computer games.

>> No.7913398

>>7913395
>Also beware that /vr/ is very bad at discussing retro computer games.
It's like that due to the board retaliating against the obnoxious Australian faggot. He ruined it for all of you

>> No.7913405 [DELETED] 

The Lemon64 top 100 list is a good place to start if you excuse a few meme Euro games; do note many of them are slow-placed sit down strategy and RPG titles that require you to read the manual.

>> No.7913419

The Lemon64 top 100 list is a good place to start if you excuse a few meme Euro games; do note many of them are slow-placed sit down strategy and RPG titles that require you to read the manual. For several years in the 80s the C64 was often the best way to play a multiplat game as PCs were still CGA shit and Amiga support from North American devs was dodgy. For example the C64 has the best versions of Cinemaware games, although load times can be annoying. The Amiga versions look far nicer but aren't programmed as well and the PC ones are CGA/bleeper sound.

>> No.7913467 [DELETED] 

>>7913395
>Also beware that /vr/ is very bad at discussing retro computer games.

yeh unfortunately and sadly I've already noticed this in the past.
i believe the reason for this is simply because this is an American board.
Americans want things to be easy, maybe they even lack the brains for computers. so consoles are easier for them to run. i believe consoles were more popular in the 80s in the USA than Europe. I'm European and literally everyone had a c64 or later some other computer.
I also had a c64, I got it in like 1998 from my cousin as a gift and I wish i would have kept it. i was a stupid kid. maybe it was also a few years earlier but we only had 1 TV and my mother didn't allow me to connect a c64 to the TV. that's why i wasn't allowed to have a console too. nothing gets connected to the TV. i watch too much TV anyway. so I had a c64 lying around boxed, collecting dust and I just couldn't play it that i went like
>fuck it
and sold it. i had a cd with a complete c64 ROM set (some German pc gaming magazine actually sold their magazine with the full ROM set and an emulator) and i was like
>what good is a computer I'm not allowed to use. I better make some money

i fucking regret having sold it so badly. i was just stupid and didn't know any better. I should have waited just 16 more years until i got my own TV but who would have known?
but yeh seems like computers were more a thing in the EU but i might be totally wrong, I'm not American so i know jack shit. i can only talk about my European experience but we didn't have any video game crash thing where i still don't know if this really happened or it gets memed about.

>> No.7913482

>>7913419
so load times suck dick, i remember that but emulation should fix that one

>> No.7913569

>>7913467
Oh, shut the fuck up, you obnoxious nationalist windbag. Paragraph after paragraph of whiny nonsense. You need to unplug.

>> No.7913650

>>7913569
i didn't mean to whine
let me know when I'm wrong
I'm just speculating why you can't talk about old computera here and it SEEMS like Americans aren't into old computers and they weren't such a big thing in the USA then they were in Europe but like i said let me know
educate me
I'm here to talk about retro games and find out about retro gaming from all over the world
one could shit on Europe and be like they didn't play on consoles or they loved sega more or whatever

>> No.7913672

>>7913650
>I'm just speculating why you can't talk about old computera here and it SEEMS like Americans aren't into old computers and they weren't such a big thing in the USA then they were in Europe but like i said let me know
>educate me
This isn't really true but the American computer market in the 8/16-bit era was definitely a bit different from Europe's and the kinds of games that were popular in particular weren't the same.

>> No.7913682 [DELETED] 

>>7913467
Uh oh, /pol/'s leaking again.

>> No.7913693 [DELETED] 

>>7913419
>>7913482
By the mid 80s everyone had a fastloader though. Emulation is still much faster but fastloaders weren't bad for 80s standards either.

>>7913682
>hating americans
>pol
Americans are the living proof that intelligence is cultural, not racial.

>> No.7913874

Many games had a built-in fastloader but a lot of the time it got stripped out in the process of removing the copy protection.

>> No.7913916

Americans went for slow multiload RPGs and strategy titles on home computers back then, games weren't arcade-focused so much and there wasn't a demoscene.

>> No.7914742
File: 2.22 MB, 600x450, International Karate + (C64).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7913376
I haven't tried Retroarch on the Switch, but it has a C64 core called Vice, yes. It has a mapped virtual keyboard to one of the gamepad buttons, so it shouldn't be a problem to run any of the games.
As for recommended titles, I'd skip games like The Last Ninja trilogy for instance. It's a good showcase what the C64 is capable of, but the gameplay isn't the best in my opinion.

Pirates!
Impossible Mission
Ultimate Wizard/Jumpman (although the former requires keyboard during the game, mainly spacebar, to launch a spell. Go with Jumpman)
Heavy Metal Paradroid
Super Pipeline II
Montezuma's Revenge
International Karate +
Crossroads II: Pandemonium
Mayhem in Monsterland
Bruce Lee

The library is vast and it really depends on what you're looking for.

>> No.7915296

Avoid meme Euro games like Turrican and Flimbo's Quest though.

>> No.7915715
File: 390 KB, 724x494, Below The Root 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

try out below the root it's a solid 2d platformer with a huge map and some good mechanics for the time