[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.28 MB, 443x288, 1583461978748.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7907397 No.7907397[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Our rationale for choosing the fifth-generation systems as a cut-off is not based on age, but instead on what we deem to be particular technical attributes of these consoles compared to the sixth-generation and subsequent consoles. Specifically, we believe that there is enough of a style difference between the fifth- and sixth-generation consoles in a way we do not believe exists to the same extent for the sixth- and seventh-generation consoles or beyond that there is a benefit to focusing on the former (and earlier).

The sixth generation was the first full generation of consoles where the use of bitmap-based 2D in games was purely for the purposes of style rather than technological expedience. The sixth generation also saw the rise of certain styles of games which still dictate the games we play today, including Halo, which presaged an era where first-person shooters would be designed with consoles as first-class citizens, changing from Quake-influenced twitch shooters to slower games with limited weapon carrying and also popularising the use of vehicles in FPS games beyond just replicating rail shooter mechanics; Grand Theft Auto III and its sequels, which crystallised the attributes of the open-world third-person action-adventure; The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which saw the first signs of the series becoming a mainstream success, with a tighter scope over its sprawling predecessor; RE4 set the standard for all modern third person shooters, along with the start of what have become gargantuan series such as Call of Duty and Battlefield. There are precedents in other fields in maintaining strict characterisation based on style that does not progress simply because of age.

Prove me wrong without the use of time as an argument.

>> No.7907449

Nigga I ain't reading all that. Also cry more why don't you

>> No.7907462

>>7907397
I won't, because I think the whole 'generation' stuff is autistic and always has been. It's never been clear to me where I'm supposed to start counting. Standalone devices like home Pong machines? The Atari 2600? I'm supposed to automatically remember how many generations there have been since then?
>>7907449
>Also cry more why don't you
Retard alert.

>> No.7907464
File: 2.49 MB, 518x276, 1599161328713.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7907449
>zoomer attention span cant read two paragraphs

>> No.7907470

>>7907462
Sounds like OP is not the only one crying

>> No.7907493
File: 198 KB, 778x783, zx spectrum enthusiasts off to play a cheeky round of manic miner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7907397
Based anon, here's my two cents, copypasted from an earlier thread:

He's my logic concerning the 6th generation, it's probably flawed but this is my reasoning:
>6th generation saw the solidification of the modern console market - Nintendo vs Xbox vs Playstation, which continues to this day (5th gen was Nintendo vs Sega vs Playstation, 4th was Nintendo vs Sega)
>Several franchises changed/died/were introduced. Fire Emblem came to the West, the Sonic vs Mario rivalry became more of a joke than anything, Pokemon hit its' stride, GTA became a household name, Halo and 'modern' FPS exploded in popularity)
>JRPGs became truly mainstream (a process starting with FFVII, but it wasn't really solidified until the 6th gen)
>Hardware wise, there were no more CDs or cartridges (for consoles), it was all DVDs or those manlet discs Nintendo uses, Analog sticks became standard
>The death of arcades
>Online gaming becoming mainstream (well maybe this is more 7th gen, but as I remember there was A LOT more online gaming in the 6th gen than the 5th gen)
>Gaming in general becoming mainstream
>Emulators began to take off

There's more to "retro" gaming than the age of hardware relative to the current year, there's also the culture etc surrounding it. I propose that /v2k/ is made to help make this board slightly less shit. Of course back before 6th gen was allowed /vr/ had its' problems stemming from how slow and small it was, i.e. a few anons spamming their personal retarded pet memes but that's better than becoming /v/.

>> No.7907494

>>7907397
Cool copy pasta but 3D games should have never been considered retro. 3D is futuristic star trek shit

>> No.7907501

>>7907397
While I agree that 5th should be the cut-off, your argument is just dumb.
>6th was so influential man! that's why it's not retro
Literally the same could apply to 5th
>dude mario 64 and tomb raider set the standards man! far out man, like they dictated the way we play games now, y'know?

>> No.7907507

>>7907470
Little zoom zoom seethes and moans
His faggot mouth frothing with foam
Choking back tears, he types some lies
Claims that OP's the one who cries
Zoomer can't fit in a phone booth
But we care not, we know the truth
I'll shout it near and shout it far
6th gen has no place on /vr/

>> No.7907526

>>7907501
>6th was so influential man! that's why it's not retro
Not him, but I think the argument is that 6th gen is not retro because the only difference between 6th gen and 7th gen+ is graphics, while core gameplay remains the same.

>> No.7907545

>>7907507
Unfathomably based

>> No.7907550

movie-like games, muh open world, online FPS cancer and general abundance of Western kusoge started in 7th gen.
6th gen, while a step closer to modern era, still was predominantly Japanese games. no online, no open world, still focused on gameplay enough not to become a movie, less handholding, etc.
you may say Xbox was all of that, but I see maybe 1-2 Xbox threads a week, so fuck em. GC deserves to be called retro, PS2 has enough fitting titles in its library to be called that too, and GBA is retro by definition.

>> No.7907551

I didn't read past the first sentence

>> No.7907557

>>7907397
/v/ is garbage and I’d much rather discuss gen 6 with the better quality posters on this board.

>> No.7907575

>>7907550
>no online
6th gen is literally when console online started
>no open world
GTA 3, VC, and SA disagree.

>> No.7907592

>>7907507
That's really gay man. You do realize that it's been almost a year since boomers ate shit on this topic, right? You lost. The rule is never getting changed back and /v2k/ is never getting made

>> No.7907631

>>7907592
We can still shitpost and ruin the board for you though, so there is that.

>> No.7907634

>>7907592
Sad, but true. We're now the designated Gamecube general board.

>> No.7907640

>>7907470
>Sounds like OP is not the only one crying
He's not crying about anything, you illiterate fuck. Go back to /v/.