[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 142 KB, 256x372, Dragon_Warrior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7854936 No.7854936 [Reply] [Original]

So I'm playing Dragon Warrior for the first time and I'm already stuck.

I got Erdrick's tablet and I'm level 6 but I don't know what to do next. The dungeons I go to seem to be too high level for me. I got the Fighter's Ring in one of the dungeons.

>> No.7854996

>>7854936
Level grind for a bit and find Garan's tomb.

>> No.7855035

>>7854936
Get the magic keys

>> No.7855040

>>7854936
The grind is very real in this game. As a general rule, each time you cross a bridge in the overworld, the monsters get one tier more powerful. If you're having trouble in a dungeon, go to the highest tier area you can access on the overworld and grind next to a town for safety.

>> No.7855461

>>7854936
>The dungeons I go to seem to be too high level for me.

Haha there's one simple way to fix that, and Dragon Warrior expects you to make use of it.

>> No.7855760

thanks everyone, luckily it's e3 so i'll grind and watch

>> No.7856169

Loto is a tranny.

>> No.7856707

Im level 10 and i cant find the tomb

>> No.7856781

>>7855040
It's only real near the end of the game. It's very comfy and easygoing, until you have to go to the desert town. still refuse to play any of the later Erdrick/Loto saga games until beating this one, please tell me they fixed these balance problems in II and III

>> No.7856872
File: 153 KB, 400x300, jlNmx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Prepare to see a screen like this a LOT.

>> No.7856894

>>7854936
>The dungeons I go to seem to be too high level for me.

The game was grind by design. Go slime hunting for an hour.

>> No.7856969

I think most JRPGs are genuinely flawed and Dragon Quest is an awful game. The only JRPGs worth playing are ones that allow a high degree of party composition choice by the player, things like FF1 and DQ3. I really don't know why someone would subject themselves to most JRPGs, Miyamoto accurately pointed out their critical flaw 35 years ago

>> No.7857304
File: 74 KB, 1280x720, 3558873-gameplay_dqb2opening_20190710_embargo_july11_6ampt_site.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7856781
>fix balance problems
>DQII

*Laughs in Cave of Rhone*
Good luck, kid.

>> No.7857353

>>7856707
There is a town called Garinham in the northwest corner of the continent. Just keep exploring the continent OP this game is super straightforward.

>> No.7857393

>>7857304
Based on the interviews I wouldnt be surprised if they didn't even playtest that part.

Also fuck them for placing the Thunder Sword at some random searchable spot at the bottom of a 100x100 grid.

>> No.7857404

>>7857393
Isn't that the item that inspired the creator of Pokemon put trading into the game?

>> No.7857420

>>7857393
Honest question, what is even the appeal of the first two when 3 is such a giant leap forward? I'm not trying to be an asshole, and as I said earlier JRPGs with static characters really aren't my thing, but man even among those I look at the first couple Dragon Quests as just bad games. (I'm not a believer that games age, just think some games like Dragon Quest are only remembered fondly for supposedly being the "first" to do something)

>> No.7857458
File: 262 KB, 256x240, 1467230151062.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7857420
It's very much an "you had to be there" sort of thing. Here in the future (and in the West at that) where console JRPGs have existed for over 30 years, the first two DQ are almost embarrassingly antique. But when they came out, they really were wildly different.

DQ1 was a particularly revolutionary sort of "first", though. It was basically for RPGs what Halo was for FPS: it was the first to take the concepts and actually adapt them well to consoles. And in a world where most Famicom games only took an hour or so to beat, having a full fledged ADVENTURE was something revolutionary. Doubly so when you realize that it "dumbed" it down enough for kids to easily play.

DQII is only amazing when compared to DQ1; Take that mindblowingly big adventure, then add two more characters to you party, expand the world map so large that the last game's world map is just a little stop on your new adventure, and reward players for exploring on their own, and you've got the makings of a hit.

>> No.7857594

>>7857420

Man I remember Dragon Quest fondly for appearing to me as Dragon Warrior when I was a kid and blowing my mind. Nothing could be so fun as it, for me, right then. I had never imagined that such a game could exist. I was young enough for this to happen, but old enough to get somewhere in the game (not that that's saying much, since it's so simple). I had this actual personal experience. I don't know a lot about Wizardry or whatever else was behind this game's conception. I can't think much about how it was the first game in the world to do this or that, because I haven't studied up on that history so I don't know it. I certainly wasn't thinking about such things then. I just loved playing it, because it was the first to do a particular super-fun thing in MY house while the controller was in MY hands. That is why I feel positively about the game today.

Sometimes people do, in fact, enjoy games.

...And the second game was more of the same, plus lots of new complexity. So naturally I liked that a lot too. I also loved Final Fantasy and was highly interested in any other games of this sort that I could get my hands on.

By the time Dragon Warrior III reached me, I was old enough, and experienced enough with JRPGs, to no longer be highly impressed by such things. I was still interested, but I didn't actually bother to buy the game; I only played partway through it on a rental. I own a copy now, but I still haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Then, finally, some years subsequent to ALL of the above, I became a sufficiently sophisticated player that I could actually properly appreciate the value that a build-your-own-party scheme holds and that a premade-party scheme lacks. So now maybe I'd consider that a major reason to prefer DQ3 to DQ2. (There are probably other reasons too of course.) But like I said, I'm too jaded to love new JRPG experiences anymore, so... I still haven't finished it. One day. Until then, I like DW2 more, because I've played it.

>> No.7857617
File: 642 KB, 750x751, 1623277153721.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7857458
>>7857594
I respect that there are some things that Nostalgia just can't let you impartially judge. But I also actually enjoy games I just find some to be bad and pretty hard to find any enjoyment in.

I'll give the first DQ games the nod that at least they are very charmingly beautiful games from an aesthetic point. That gameplay though just always kills any ability of me to enjoy it. I will say I doubt we ever get the Legend of Zelda series without Dragon Quest, because I think the first Zelda game is Miyamoto's "Fuck you" letter to the JRPG craze

>> No.7857636

>>7857617
Nevermind, I'm a retard, Zelda came out before Dragon Quest but I know I've heard quotes supposedly from Miyamoto criticizing RPGs

>> No.7857639

>>7857393
They didn't. Horii himself said he stopped playing after he reached the boat part. They fix the balance problems only at the beginning of the game(less monsters since you start with one character, second character's castle changed location to a closer one since first character can't use cure spells and so on).

>> No.7857648

>>7857636
>Miyamoto criticizing RPGs
>—Miyamoto, have you played all four Dragon Quest games?
>Miyamoto: I have, but… it’s hard for me to play for long periods of time. In DQIV, I stopped at chapter 3 with Torneko. (laughs) But I can say without any exaggeration that I think it’s a great game, Dragon Quest IV.

>—What’s your opinion of the series?
>Miyamoto: They’re simply amazing. In the DQ1/DQ2 era, I think everyone was looking for a way to make a game feel like a real adventure, despite only having numbers and stats to deal with. Then with DQ3 and DQ4, the dialogue really made the characters feel real and alive, and along with all the other improvements, it’s like enjoying an excellent, refined wine.

>—It’s interesting… you’ve played all the games without clearing any of them, and yet I bet you’ll almost certainly play the next installment, won’t you? That’s kind of rare for a person, I think.
Miyamoto: Yeah, I definitely don’t finish a lot of video games, even Mario and Zelda. Making it to the end does give you a whole new appreciation for the game, though.

>> No.7857653

>>7857648
Hey, you proved me wrong. I thought Miyamoto had been quoted as criticizing JRPGs for requiring 0 skill from the player. I will say though that if he were critical of JRPGs or any genre really I doubt that he would come out and say it publicly due to how that might damage Nintendo trying to market that genre

>> No.7857681

What is with a lot these rumors posted lately about Miyamoto hating beloved games and genres?

>> No.7857701
File: 324 KB, 1200x1570, Miyamoto+on+rpgs_179c91_7766691.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7857681
Actually with RPGs I'm going to again say it's not just rumor

https://earthboundcentral.com/2010/02/miyamotos-thoughts-on-mother-2/

>> No.7857716

>>7857404
That was the Mad Cap in Dragon Warrior 2. It's like a 1% drop from a really powerful late-game mob. He got mad because his friend got two of the damn things, but there was no mechanic where he could trade away his extra.

>> No.7857729

>>7857701
Why even post a screencap of a shitpost when you posted the interview it's mangling?

>> No.7857738

>>7857729
Mostly because the article I linked mentioned it being something that Miyamoto has said before so I wonder if he hasn't made several statements to this effect. Also the post said why do people claim Miyamoto hates certain games or genres that are "beloved" and in my opinion at least on JRPGs and maybe RPGs in general there is probably some fire to that smoke.

>> No.7857745

>>7857701
>–Lastly, what do you feel an RPG should be like?
>Miyamoto: Let’s say you tie someone completely up – even their individual fingers – and then wait a while. Then, if you start to untie the ropes one by one, they’ll of course be happy. Anyone would. The method of sticking someone in an incredibly tight situation then untightening it little by little and then saying, “There! Aren’t you happy now?” becomes very boring as soon as it becomes evident. So, instead of that, my personal theme when making RPG-like games is, “What can I do?” I don’t think creating happiness comes from starting from a negative and returning to zero. It’s starting from zero and ending at one hundred, and I try to think of ways to allow that.

>> No.7857765

>>7854936
DQ gets good with III,,, much like the Ultima series that inspired it.

>> No.7857791
File: 237 KB, 734x1100, incel run.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7854936
Stop!!! Please...

Play the GBC remake, it may not be as "classic" as the NES version of Dragon Warrior but it sure is a hell of a lot better.

I beat it the other day. I know I'm going to get a TON of shit for using speedup at times (especially walking back to places before repel) and using a walkthrough. But I just wanted to clear it quickly, I guess.

Anyway, I had a really crazy amount of fun playing the game besides those two things. Battles are just so fast and satisfying, but having only one character makes it so tense.

>> No.7858293

>>7857420
You can't compare no-party JRPGs with party based JRPGs. DQ1 is still king in its niche.

DQ2 is completely overshadowed by DQ3 though, in that you are right.