[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 74 KB, 1258x819, Screenshot_15-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7841084 No.7841084 [Reply] [Original]

I dunno if this really counts as retro, but I wonder why there hasn't been any light-gun type games for virtual reality yet?

It must take so little to port HotD or Time Crisis or Area 51 to VR, and it seems like on-rail shooters should fit VR extremely well, yet there's literally zero games like them for the platform.

>> No.7841091

>>7841084
Super Hot VR may be what you’re looking for. Or hell, even Rush of Blood.

>> No.7841093

You can use EmuVR to emulate lightgun games with a virtual TV and gun, if you're interested in specifically playing those games

>> No.7841110

>>7841091
While I do love Superhot, it's a bit disjointed and not the same style. What I'd love to see is something like Time Crisis where it's a sequence of shooting galleries with ducking and reloading and cover.

>> No.7841142

>>7841084
Probably because despite it actually working well, without full 360 degree environments it would be pretty dull for VR enthusiasts. Being dragged along with no real ability to influence where you go or even to look around wouldn't interest that niche.

>> No.7841367 [DELETED] 

>>7841084
>I dunno if this really counts as retro,
It doesn't. Self deport back to le reddit.

>> No.7841595

>>7841110
What do you think of Blood and Truth?

>> No.7841604

>>7841367
Nah it's retro because it relates to a retro gaming style.

>> No.7841606

>>7841084
>I dunno if this really counts as retro, but I wonder why there hasn't been any light-gun type games for virtual reality yet?
Plenty. What rock are you under?

>> No.7842043

>>7841606
There's a distinction between shooter and light-gun game.

>> No.7842381

Probably because VR is shit, and indies can't actually produce decent arcade games because they don't have anywhere near the required skill. The closest thing to light gun games in VR is Pistol Whip, but you have to disable the "john wick" autoaim, the gun sights are very poor, and the music and rhythm based gameplay is terrible. But dodging bullets like you're playing Police 911 is fun.

What's funny is that it'd be pretty easy to port a lot of the dozens of PC light gun titles to VR. And even if you couldn't be bothered doing that, if anyone with half a braincell gave a shit about VR, it'd be very easy to rig up some gun sights for a lighthouse based controller, define your screen size, and use your wand/knuckles as a virtual mouse, creating what could possibly be the best LCD light gun solution given how every other option has major issues with distance.

But, nobody with half a braincell does care about VR. So the best you're going to get is dogshit and mediocre FPS titles that barely work given VR kiddies haven't even figured out that you have to tie movement to your waist, not your head or your hand.

>> No.7842456

isnt there a game that places a big CRT in front of you and you play a person playing time crisis?

>> No.7842470

>>7841084
Operation Warcade, it’s basically operation wolf in VR. It starts as you’re playing the arcade cabinet then in some levels you enter it.

Crisis VRigade is pretty much time crisis mixed with virtual cop.

>> No.7842509

OP I think the problem is that compared to VR, lightgun games don't feel immersive. That is to say, when you play a real lightgun game, you feel like you're in it, but when you play a VR game, your expectations are higher due to what other games demonstrate, and so something like time crisis, presented as-is, feels too limiting. I think that games like superhot vr are ultimately what you get when people have the exact idea of "I want to make a lightgun game in VR" but then realize that lightgun games as they are in an arcade just don't feel quite right as a VR game. Ironically, you can emulate lightgun arcade shooters well in VR, so that's a plus. I just hope that as support becomes more widespread that lightgun games do get their renaissance in VR. I also hope that Namco and Sega put out lightgun collections on VR. I'd love to see M2 put their master's touch on VR design. I could see PSVR getting it, assuming Sony does a good job pushing for it on PS5.

I also think that there are problems

>> No.7842513

>>7842509
Oops, didn't check my work. Oh well.

>> No.7843037

>>7841595
It is a videogame.

>> No.7843260

>>7842456
Ultrawings is kind of similar to that

>> No.7843273

I am deeply disappointed at the lack of Ghoul Panic VR

>> No.7843278
File: 2.92 MB, 854x720, light_gun.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7841084
>>7842381

>> No.7845376

After the last time I played with a VR headset the idea of a duck and cover shooter like Time Crisis in VR sounds nauseating.

>> No.7846502

>>7842509
Lightgun games in their classic form feel more immersive than VR shooters do now because with lightgun games you're holding a real gun shaped object and the gameplay is tight enough that you get mentally invested in the action whereas with VR everything is twitchy and jank and not quite there and you're usually holding some dildo wand thing.

>> No.7848443

>>7842513
It's true, though. There are problems