[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 170 KB, 1000x666, earthbound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7834807 No.7834807 [Reply] [Original]

What retro games do you regret not buying back when they were cheap? Did you ever sell anything that went on to become absurdly valuable? What currently cheap games from the last 20 years could you see becoming valuable in the next few years?

>> No.7834817

In 2008 I got Silent Hill 2 and 3 from Gamestop for 4 or 6 bucks each. Like a fucking tard I sold them instead of keeping them and I live with my mistake ever since.

>> No.7834830

Videogames are not an investment, no one is buying a snes cart for $200.

>> No.7834838

>>7834807
Yes. Earthbound in my case.

>>7834830
Yes, they do.

>> No.7834851

>>7834830
Maybe not in 20 years, but they are now

>> No.7834860

>>7834807
>What retro games do you regret not buying back when they were cheap
none. fuck the PCB and plastic fetishism.
you want to play the game? then go play it, don't fetishize it. emulate, burn the disc or use a flashcart. there's no point in buying a cart that has exchanged so many hands and might have been in somebody's ass, at the price 10-20x higher than it should be, with NONE of your money going to the game company and all of it going to some reseller jew who probably got it for $5 from some poor unassuming fella.

>> No.7834875
File: 46 KB, 780x1000, w4z.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What retro games do you regret not buying back when they were cheap?
All rare GBA games like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Aladdin, Ninja Cop, Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and so on
>Did you ever sell anything that went on to become absurdly valuable
Hagane for the SNES, I sold it back in 2005 for 5€ in a pawn shop so i could buy food from mc donalds
>What currently cheap games from the last 20 years could you see becoming valuable in the next few years?
All the good stuff from Nintendo like Wind Waker HD, OoT 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Twilight Princess HD and so on

>> No.7834926

>>7834830
videogames have unironically performed better than most stocks as an investment vehicle over the last decade. cope with that however you will

>> No.7834935

>>7834860
>at the price 10-20x higher than it should be
Ah yes, some random fuck on 4chan, the arbiter of second hand video game markets.

>> No.7834964

>>7834807
all of them
>Did you ever sell anything that went on to become absurdly valuable?
of course not i'm /biz/
>What zoom zoom reseller zoom cringe zooom
kwab

>> No.7834968

>>7834807
had all my pokemon gen 1 & 2 games CiB sold before things got ridiculous to pay an emergency expense

i no longer collect cardboard and just care about being able to play

>> No.7834970

>>7834830
what are completed ebay listings
>its all a conspiracy somehow lmao

mercari is even worse for gouging bc the money is often tied up within the app so normies are likely to overspend

>> No.7834971
File: 224 KB, 2128x792, Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 16.10.05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7834935
dude, i get your point. i'm just one guy in a free market, and there's millions of other people, what matters is supply and demand, bla bla bla. but that doesn't make the price somehow good or "objectively correct".
if you go to Steam, you can get old games from the '90s for around $5-10 bucks, sometimes free. yeah i know, it's just digital. but $5-20 bucks is what you usually pay for a used old game in a market that still hasnt been fucked by normie nostalgia fucks. and that's what games like SH2 used to cost before they've exploded.
i'm not saying "they must sell it at X price". i'm just saying that this price is completely fucked up and deranged.
if you want to listen to an old album, you dont buy the first press vinyl for a thousand bucks, you download it for free or for a small price. same goes if if you want to watch an old movie, you dont have to buy a VHS from the 90s. but with video games, somehow paying $100-$200 for an old as fuck games is a-ok and justifued? not to me.

>> No.7834973

>>7834817
freemcboot i sold mine for 120 but i live with it bc i ripped the iso directly to my hard drive

>> No.7834976

>>7834971
mate X3 was always expensive

i sold at around $100 in 2006
$300 today is $100 then accounting for inflation

its better to invest in something hell ANYTHING then trying to save cash due to depreciation in currency value

the slow boil is getting worse
buy and hold faggots

>> No.7835005

>>7834976
i'm not saying it wasn't, i'm just saying $300 for a loose cart for any game is beyond retarded.
>i sold at around $100 in 2006
>$300 today is $100 then accounting for inflation
$100 in 2006 would be ~$132 today. definitely not $300

>> No.7835053

>>7834971
there's some things I don't think you've considered:
video games don't suffer from outdated formats like other media. the technology used at the time is considered part of the experience, not a flaw. this is unlike VHS or cassette tapes where the blu ray or 320kbps album download is objectively superior.

collector markets have always existed. there are people who pay thousands for first press vinyls, special edition movies, 1st/1st books, etc. people who just want to play the game can do so, but the originals are now having the collector's value assigned to them.

video games are also more popular than ever, and keep getting more popular. as more people discover old games its expected that the prices would keep going up.

lastly, video games by far have the least amount of re-releases, making playing obscure titles more difficult. for example, any stupid bullshit budget movie you can think probably has a blu ray release, but good fucking luck playing Tomba without an orginal disc.

>> No.7835068

>>7835005
it is VERY retarded
the world of collectibles has made unprecedented growth in the past 5 years and is only gonna go in one direction

gamers are autistic
collectors are autistic
there could be a flood of repro carts and prices wont retrace by more than 20%

id rather have a cart than save cash long term

pricecharting dot com
exists for this very reason
the evil investors arent gonna leave anon

>> No.7835071

>>7835005
calculates are wildly inaccurate
were you an adult that was financially responsible in 2006? i was 18 and it was the first time i learned about investing/money

if you dont think inflation is bad in 2021 youre not being objective
look at how much $ the feds are printing
what percentage of bills in circulation were printed in 2020 anon

>> No.7835135

>>7835053
>collector markets have always existed. there are people who pay thousands for first press vinyls, special edition movies, 1st/1st books, etc.
but thats the fucking issue right here. in music and movies, there's a clear divide: collector market, and the regular market. in vidya though, just to play the game you'll have to compete with coomlectors. that's the whole issue, period.
and yeah i know, no one stops me from emulating. but what i mean is that there's a huge mentality that you need to buy the original, everything else is not "true", and plenty retards who say emulation is bad because it's piracy. (somehow people said the opposite about downloading mp3s, go figure.)
it's this retarded mentality that persists till today that irritates me to no end.
>video games don't suffer from outdated formats like other media.
in a way you're right, but you could also say exactly the opposite. video games are like trying to watch a classic movie, except it only ever came out on Betamax. you need to buy a $150 betamax player and a $200 tape from some jewseller to watch it. you say it's bad, some retard immediately shows up and says: "hurrdurr what is demand and supply! who are you to say price is bad? should have bought years ago! stop being poor!". and when you just want to watch it online, some other retard says: "piracy is bad ok, gotta buy the original and support the developer, or else you didn't experience the movie"—, and it gets taken down by copyright owner. that's just how retarded it is, but few admit it.

>> No.7835147

>>7835135
what is a flashcart!?

>> No.7835153

-NES: back a number of years ago maybe like 2011 i had a slim window of opportunity to get a copy of Little Samson for I think 250$ from a guy I know who runs some game stores. Also had another guy around same time who offered to sell me a BOXED copy of Donkey Kong Jr. Math for 30$ but I passed because my thought process was "lol why would I pay that much for an educational shit game?"

-SNES: from the same guy as above, I was going to get a copy of Final Fight Guy for I think 150$ and he was holding it for me but I slacked off and didnt pay for it and he ended up selling it to someone else.

-N64: This one annoys me because I had it in my hand: at a retro game shop in the bargain section, I found Stunt Racer 64, which was a game I knew about (not for being rare or anything at the time) and for some reason back then I had the thought process that it was a sequel to the SNES Stunt Racer from Nintendo, so I wanted it, but I also wanted more RPGs for the SNES and ended up getting fucking Wizardry 5 instead of Stunt Racer. Its not Sculpter's Cut level of stupidly priced, but the 5$ I could have gotten it for sure beats the 200$ i think it goes for now.

>> No.7835161

>>7835153
-Saturn: pretty much the entire library of stuff id liked to get back then. I had a Saturn I got off someone who sold it to get a Dreamcast and I really wish I would have focued on getting games for it back then instead of my utterly stupid logic of the time of just getting games if I encountered them in real life at a store or something. Super Tempo is the one I wish I had gotten for sure.
-Dreamcast: same with Saturn, had it fairly early on and wish I had gotten a lot of the Capcom stuff and Illbleed while it was cheap.
-PS1: Misadventure of Tron Bonne was a game I always wanted since I loved Tron in MvC2 and in the early 2000s when I found out she had her own game, I always wanted to get it. Ended up getting the Jap version but wish I had gotten english back in the day.
-PS2: when GameStop was getting rid of their games, I remember seeing a lot of copies of Haunting Ground for 50$ and maybe the occasional Kuon, but at the time didnt want to justify paying that much for a single used PS2 game.
-PS3: wish I had gotten a copy of that Capcom D&D collection when it was still like 30$, that one Jojo's Bizzare adventure fighting game and there is this one PixelJunk collection from China that is stupid priced now

>> No.7835162

>>7835161
-PSP/Vita: Lots of late release PSP rpg stuff i wish i had jumped on, like the Ys games. Also the first Neptunia remake for Vita I had on hold at a store for 15$ for like a day but they accidently sold it to someone else.
-Xbox/360: Metal Wolf Chaos and Steel Battalion (had a chance to get this locally complete for like 250$) and the Gold edition or whatever it was called of Marvel Ultimate Alliance on 360 with the DLC on disc which I had held at my local GS for a while till they sold it.

Other random deals I wish I had gotten: had a chance to get a boxed NES R.O.B. set with console and all parts + a Pikachu edition N64 for 150$
Not gonna say I was completly retarded over the decades, there were games I am glad I was smart enough to get back in the day, like when I was a kid deciding to get Wild Guns instead of Zombies Ate my Neighbors, entirely based on the cover art alone, but its always the shit you miss that gnaws at your memories.

>> No.7835165

>>7835135
>video games are like trying to watch a classic movie, except it only ever came out on Betamax. you need to buy a $150 betamax player and a $200 tape from some jewseller to watch it
My point is that video games are not like this. Betamax is objectively outdated inferior technology. Video games are designed for the technology of their respective platforms - it's a feature. Prices for originals games remain high not because of jew sellers, but because there's no replacement.

>some other retard says: "piracy is bad ok, gotta buy the original and support the developer, or else you didn't experience the movie"
Why the fuck do you care? Pirate it if you want, who gives a shit.

>> No.7835170

>>7834807
I had pretty much every SNES game I ever wanted until my dad got a new girlfriend. Her bastard children stole a bunch of my games, trading cards and toys, including a Kermit The Frog puppet I got when I was 3 that was very special to me. After that devastation, I stopped collecting as much.

>> No.7835176

Most of my regrets are childhood trades. The worst was probably trading conker's bad fur day for a shitty deck of pokemon cards. Honestly though I think I was on the better end of more of those deals than I lost on. Near the end of middle school other kids were going through their "too old for kids games" phase so I managed to scoop up a bunch of good shit for lunch money like several of each pokemon game and gamecube zelda disc with oot, mm, and ww.

>> No.7835267

>>7835176
i was doing the exact same from middle school through highschool. literally traded an orange juice container from lunch for a copy of Super Mario Land 2 and traded a shitty quality funny image i had printed out on a piece of paper to a kid on my bus for one of the DK Land games

>> No.7835320

>>7835267
>shitty quality funny image
What was the funny image

>> No.7835384

>>7835267
American entrepreneur spirit is alive with this guy, people like you bought the land from primitive tribes for shiny stones

>> No.7835393

>>7834830
>tfw i bought an EarthBound cart for $200 way back when

>> No.7835404

>>7834830
This. I used to do the same thing on neopets. Buy up limited items and sell to myself at crazy prices so others list their items higher, then I can scam losers by offering worthless items at a lower but still high price.

don't get scammed.

>> No.7835421

>>7835404
samefag

>> No.7835439

>>7835135
>and yeah i know, no one stops me from emulating. but what i mean is that there's a huge mentality that you need to buy the original, everything else is not "true", and plenty retards who say emulation is bad because it's piracy.
There was a time when this was true but these days I really only see this on /vr/ and isolated Facebook groups. Collecting becoming increasingly inviable + a generation of gamers raised on emulators + shitty company PR making people sympathize with pirates have changed attitudes about it. That CRTpixels account who kickstarted another wave of interest in CRTs emulates, for example. Almost everyone I know emulates too.
Anyway, if it's anything like the sports card/comic book boom then most people's "investments" are not gonna pay off. Only a small handful of stuff gets bought for decent money and some of that needs to be complete. Not a completely useless road to go down but it should be done with other investments, but this is /vr/ not /biz/

>> No.7835447

>>7834807
A few years after the 8 and 16 bit consoles life cycles ended, there were emulators available so I didn't see the point of buying games or holding on to them. I didn't think about them being worth thousands of dollars to coomlectors. And the prices seem retardedly high to buy in now.
I'm just holding on to everything I bought during gens 5-7. My biggest regret is opening the Tron Bonne with Megaman Legends 2 demo I bought new for 10 bucks. At that point I was playing PS1 isos anyways so it was stupid to use the disc.

>> No.7835465

>>7835320
it was just an image of Rare's mascot, Mr. Pants, but the kid i traded it to acted like it was the funniest shit he had ever seen

>> No.7835479

Probably just The Misadventures of Tron Bonne.
As for games that will go up in price, I think the entire Japanese retro market will be plundered even harder than it already has been by the west and prices will go up.

>> No.7835493

>>7835439
>Anyway, if it's anything like the sports card/comic book boom then most people's "investments" are not gonna pay off
Nothing alike. Not even remotely close to comparable. Don't understand why this is always brought up.

>Only a small handful of stuff gets bought for decent money and some of that needs to be complete
If you don't know what you're talking about just don't fucking post.

>> No.7835546

>>7835493
lol stay mad

>> No.7835614

I used to own a fair amount of now rare GBC games including Survival Kids, Metal Gear Solid and Shantae but traded them or sold them. Not that I kept the packaging or anything.

>> No.7835631

>>7835439
>There was a time when this was true but these days I really only see this on /vr/ and isolated Facebook groups.
good. thanks for telling me anon. i used to go on /vr/ in 2015 and maybe it was trolls but i saw that sentiment a lot. it's less prevalent now it seems, thank god. then again, the market also got fucked harder in recent years so it goes to show.
>Anyway, if it's anything like the sports card/comic book boom then most people's "investments" are not gonna pay off.
on the one hand, a game going up in price in just several years sounds tempting. but then again, you never know what will happen next. i played Earthbound in 2008 and I thought that game would never get discovered. if you told me that a fucking Silent Hill 2 would cost a lot in 2021 I wouldn't believe you.

>> No.7835659

>>7835546
enjoy paying $400 for symphony of the night in 2 years

>> No.7835664
File: 1.36 MB, 884x686, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7834807
>that smug feeling when your mom bought you a used copy of EarthBound only a year or two after it was released and you've held on to it to this day

>> No.7835685

>>7835631
>you never know what will happen next
>Silent Hill 2 would cost a lot in 2021 I wouldn't believe you.
It's not that hard to figure out my man. Horror games always go up. Even absolute garbage like Clock Tower 3 is selling for like $60.

>> No.7835803

>>7835631
All trends based around collecting junk ends up popping. We already have a video game example to refer to: how Atari 2600 prices went up like mad in the early 2000s, not that anyone on nu-/vr/ is old enough to remember it. Now 99% of 2600 games are worthless unless you have them CIB.
I will throw a bone and say there's one thing that could make this different and it's that the US is obsessed with reliving the past. Almost every popular video game and movie is part of a long-time established franchise. The Elvis collecting fad died out because people found other, newer artists to get into, but we have children getting into Mario, Zelda, Pokemon etc just as they were 10 years ago, perhaps in even larger numbers.

>> No.7835816

>>7834807
.hack// part 4

>> No.7835837

>>7835803
You are correct. Atari games crashed because they were junk. From NES onward, there has not been and will not be any crash.

>> No.7835934

using video games as a financial investment is pretty retarded. the us is the only country so rabidly obsessed with coomlecting vidya but its in financial decline, has been for the past couple decades. all of its manufacturing has been outsourced and its not coming back. as things worsen there will be less and less people buying vidya at retarded prices.
you're better off selling what you have now and investing in stuff that's viable in the international market.

>> No.7835950

>>7835614
i have a regular cart of Survival Kids and bought the "reprint" of Shantae that Limited Run Games did, but for Metal Gear, maybe like 3 years ago, you could buy complete sealed copies off ebay for like 50$ of the Brazilian copy, official licensed by Nintendo who I think even published it down there when they had a department there, and plays fully in english and everything.

>> No.7835954

>>7835161
I still got that JoJo Fighting Game sealed I bought on clearance for a fiver. Is it rare and sought after by stupid people now? Good to know.

>> No.7835958

>>7835837
But NES prices have gone down compared to a few years back, except maybe the stupid high ones that were always on the top

>> No.7835959

>>7835803
I wonder why americans are like that, though? It always seemed like a strange mindset in the USA. Like every movie from the states that gets released has some sort of nostalgia vehicle. I wonder why is that?

>> No.7835961

>>7835954
i see it like 80-100 on ebay and back when it was in GameStop it was like around 40 for a used copy

>> No.7835968

>>7835959
probably a lot of it has to do with company marketing stuff and drilling it into young people when it was new and keeping it alive in their memories after

>> No.7835994

>>7835958
No, not fucking really. Prices may have stabilized/corrected slightly since 2016/2017, but are still nowhere near circa 2010 prices. They are never getting that low again. Also, thanks to rona, everything has been skyrocketing again

>> No.7835995
File: 175 KB, 1080x1088, usfucked.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7835958
Eh? Pricecharting.com shows that they're gradually rising
>>7835959
This is verging into /pol/ territory but the US population is collectively fucked in the head from witnessing the US' slow descent from being unquestionably #1. 9/11, the bungled war on terror, the 2008 economic crisis, the mismanagement of COVID, etc. That memes like this get popularized really sums it up. So you have a bunch of people retreating into their childhoods as a way to cope.
But also its just safer for companies to stick to what is already known and established. To use a /vr/ example, the Saturn is an example of what can happen if you try to advertise your console with something new and daring.

>> No.7836003

>>7835994
yeah obviously i wasnt talking pre-AVGN, retro game craze levels, but a lot of the in between titles, like the stuff that was never super rare, but also not the shit no one cared about, the games you would see every flea market vendor selling for double or triple their price, those titles seem to have mellowed out a bit for their prices as collectors/nostalgia waved moved to newer stuff.

>> No.7836006

>>7835995
maybe thats from the cough then, but 2018/2019, prices seemed to have been settling down in both online and in-person sales.

>> No.7836019

>>7835995
Thanks Amerianon. That makes sense to me. Companies don't like take great risks anymore, which is why most stuff we see is something that isn't very new but tries to feel comfy for the people. For us from outside the US sometimes it feels really strange and when you look it at it the americans did this in the 80s and 90s, too with all the 50s, 60s and 70s nostalgia which always seemed kinda weird to us from the other side of the pond.

>> No.7836089

>>7835803
>>7835837
i could be wrong but to me it seems that generations are passing, and their culture with them. much like 90s had a lot of 70s nostalgia, it gradually ended because the people who grew up surrounded by the that culture got older. i think same happened here with Atari.
now, as time passes, people who grew up with NES and memed its classics to oblivion (e.g. AVGN) get older, start families and remove from hobbies. and i feel many zoomers and late millennials already feel detached from NES and look at it as outdated junk. to them, it's an old man's game console. that's why i assume NES market is not really exploding. especially since this generation has younger youtubers who likely dont care about NES as much.
now i guess SNES is still growing because millennials are at an age when they have money and nostalgia. but you already see zoomers being filtered by it. so my guess is that in 5 years or so SNES market may start to stagnate or even shrink.

>> No.7836109

>>7836019
it's simple, nostalgia is simply part of people's identity. nothing gets people going like "born in the 80s/90s/2000s" content. they simply realized better today that milking nostalgia works, because internet showed its marketing potential better. 90s already had a ton of 60s-70s nostalgia, with sideburns, fear and loathing in las vegas, That '70s Show, graphic design trends etc. it simply turned into a bigger nostalgia industry later.

>> No.7836154

>>7835803
The nostalgiafag market crashed for Atari, but the games might be worth something to antiquefags eventually, if the sellers hold on to them long enough.

>> No.7836234

>>7836089
You're overthinking things. Atari games are just bad. They don't have the ability to stand on their own without extreme nostalgia. They look bad, they sound bad, and were 20 minutes long if you were lucky. Not even the boomerest of boomers would tell you the Atari had any of the best games of all time. This may also be true to a lesser extent for NES, but that's a stretch, because it established so many basic formulas and franchises. It's like trying to compare a fork with googly eyes on it to a G.I. Joe. Worlds apart.

>but you already see zoomers being filtered by it
Where?

>> No.7836265

>>7836234
>Not even the boomerest of boomers would tell you the Atari had any of the best games of all time.
there are entire communities of boomers dedicated to atari. stop talking about things you don't understand lol

>> No.7836296

>>7836089
>i could be wrong
You are wrong.
>but to me it seems
You're not the first person to have this thought man. People have been saying this since 1995 or earlier. Even by that point people thought Atari was shit and few people cared about it anymore. People assumed that the NES and SNES would eventually go the same way - which was pretty plausible at the time.

Thing is as the years have gone on and on the NES and SNES have just gotten more popular than ever because they are actual quality.

If you're a kid playing SNES games, you're going to like them just as much as a kid back in the 1990s and you're going to appreciate how they were among the first really good games. You're not going to play SMB3 and not have fun because of when you were born.

The Atari market is a completely different thing as most people were only ever ironically collecting those games.

>>7836234
Based.

>> No.7836307

>>7836265
>extreme nostalgia communities support the video games that require extreme nostalgia to be enjoyable
No shit. Incomparable to the gens that came after it. SNES games will never have this requirement, and that's why they'll never be cheap.

I'll ask again, where are you seeing zoomers being filtered by the SNES? It's universally enjoyable.

>> No.7836317

>>7836154
Not even zoomers play atari

>> No.7836327

>>7836296
>The Atari market is a completely different thing as most people were only ever ironically collecting those games.
lol you're trying so hard to save face after being shown an example of a video game bubble popping
>>7836307
>doesn't count, they're just nostalgic!
queen of moving goal posts over here
as for the snes, the fact that snes games are rereleased with save state features and the like shows that they aren't "universally enjoyable" and require modifications to be appealing to today's zoomers

>> No.7836357

>>7836327
I said in my first post the extreme nostalgia was a requirement. Atariage faggots are faggots, but even they wouldn't try to pretend their console is anyway comparable to the SNES like you're doing now. Retards on /vr/ have been saying the retro gaming bubble will pop any minute now for the past 10 years. It's never going to happen.

>muh save states means it's not the same game!
Literally fuck off. Talk about moving the goal posts, jesus christ.

>> No.7836359

>>7836327
>lol you're trying so hard to save face
Save face? I don't know what you're smoking but that was my first post in the thread and neither was there anything to suggest I was the poster you were previously speaking to.
>after being shown an example of a video game bubble popping
bruh, I not only knew about your supposed "video game bubble popping", I know the origin of where you're getting it. It's from Pat the NES punk who started to bring this up frequently to give himself content and act like he had some sort of exclusive knowledge or take on the retro gaming industry. Nobody ever seems to have spoken or cared about it until recently.

The fact is, people only collected Atari games like they would baseball cards, they did not like the games or want to play them. A sort of cryptocurrency, if you will. NES and SNES games do have an inherent value so are highly unlikely to ever go the same way. There might be some sort of crash some time but it's never going to end up as Atari prices I can promise you that.

>> No.7836443

>>7836357
>Atariage faggots are faggots, but even they wouldn't try to pretend their console is anyway comparable to the SNES like you're doing now.
LOL yea you're very unfamiliar with atari communities, just stop man.
>Retards on /vr/ have been saying the retro gaming bubble will pop any minute now for the past 10 years. It's never going to happen.
i agree it won't be any minute now, but it will happen in our lifetimes. likely when the us goes deeper into decline because this specific culture of vidya collecting is almost entirely localized in the us. the rest of the world just emulates.
>Literally fuck off. Talk about moving the goal posts, jesus christ.
its not moving the goal posts in this case because its' a concession by devs that these games need new features to appeal to today's gamers. they wouldn't do stuff like that if they thought the games were still totally fine.
>>7836359
i don't watch e-celebs, i've been in and out of atari communities for a decade now, that's how i get my knowledge.
>The fact is, people only collected Atari games like they would baseball cards, they did not like the games or want to play them. A sort of cryptocurrency, if you will.
thats no different than what's happening with nes and onwards games right now. if people just wanna play games they can just get flash carts, or get the jpn versions which are often significantly cheaper. but no, they go for the english versions because of investment value. it has nothing to do with "inherent value"

>> No.7836506

>>7834807
Basically almost anything that's in the upper uncommon range is becoming scare and valuable.

I had a feeling that DS would start to get bad (and it has) this year - lots of the more obscure titles are starting to rise in price fairly quickly. I've snagged a few so far, but stuff like Etrian Odyssey III is now commands a pretty painful price for an entry in the middle of a series.

PSP is slowly getting going with price rises, as is original Xbox. Vita and PS3 got their bumps from the store shut down panic.

Xbox 360, Wii, and WiiU are pretty much the last places to collect cheap games - and I would expect the Wii to begin rising this year or next.

3DS is my current preference to collect - nothing worth having on the system is absurdly expensive IMO, but I think it had a long enough run so that one may build an interesting, deep library.

>> No.7836572

I'm unironically buying up everything Wii U I can get my hands on.

>> No.7836574

>>7835071
Lol, bills in circulation are a small fraction of the money supply, 1-2 trillion tops.

>> No.7836717

>>7836443
>thats no different than what's happening with nes and onwards games right now. if people just wanna play games they can just get flash carts, or get the jpn versions which are often significantly cheaper. but no, they go for the english versions because of investment value. it has nothing to do with "inherent value"
I didn't say "inherent value" had everything to do with practically playing the game, I mean that people actually like the product so wish to have it anyway. I realize this may be a foreign concept to people who collect Atari games. Having said that, several of the best SNES games and many NES games also are not playable on flashcarts as you need a special chip, so yes you will need the actual carts for those games. And no, some people don't want shitty Japanese text sullying their games, that's for weaboos.

>> No.7836741
File: 86 KB, 856x1229, 904FA154-D1AD-4F4C-AC40-C6C372105D59.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7836574
the game ends soon
40%+ isnt a small fraction anon

>> No.7836821

>>7836717
the point is there is no "inherent value" to video games. the only value they have is their use value and exchange value. people are not paying $300 to enjoy a nintendo game, they're doing it because they want to sell it for even more money.
>Having said that, several of the best SNES games and many NES games also are not playable on flashcarts as you need a special chip, so yes you will need the actual carts for those games.
lol when's the last time you looked into flash carts? they've had near perfect compatibility for a while, there's only a tiny handful of misses and they're all dirt cheap jpn only stuff. if you consider pachinko shovelware to be one of the best games for the snes then more power to you
>And no, some people don't want shitty Japanese text sullying their games, that's for weaboos.
gotta pay $200+ more dollars to understand the deep engaging plot of mega man x3

>> No.7836926
File: 118 KB, 781x767, sneslist.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7836717
Sailor Moon Stars Panic 2, widely agreed to be one of the best SNES games kek

>> No.7837173

>>7836741
Buddy, I’m talking about the printed money as a fraction of the money supply, not the fraction of printed dollars to those in circulation as currency. Almost all wealth within the US itself is in liquid assets.

>> No.7837567

>>7836234
>>7836296
i'm not saying generation identity is the main factor. there's a lot of them, such as overall "reputation" of a console.
but that's the thing: a reputation of a console is also not set in stone, it's defined by people's opinion. today's consensus on "classics" is in reality set by many things, among which are:
1) what millennials played back in the day
2) what they read from mags
3) modern journos, "top 100 GOAT vidya" lists and such
4) youtubers & other influencers
note how 3 of these are dependent on the generation.
once millennials gradually quit gaming, and zoomers will get new influencers, I can see how the "consensus" could change and NES and SNES will become "old man's console with outdated games".
you can already see AVGN and Mike Matei now being "old". gradually same will happen to GameGrumps and such. we'll eventually get new influencers who are in their 20s, so born past 1995, who don't even remember 4th gen, let alone 3rd gen. i can hardly see how they'll continue memeing the same 4th gen games.

>> No.7838020

>>7835995
>the mismanagement of COVID
By China?

>> No.7838457 [DELETED] 

>>7834807
warioware twisted.
can't use motion controls on flashcart/3ds. smartphone, yes, but it feels to hold.

>> No.7838460

>>7834807
warioware twisted.
can't use motion controls on flashcart/3ds. smartphone, yes, but it feels weird to hold.

>> No.7838463

>>7834807
Klonoa Wii
King Of Dragons Snes

both of them were stolen from me at different times of my life too

>> No.7838505

Why are people who don't care about plastic getting so mad about game prices? Its simple, its because you're trying so hard to cope with your poorfaggotry.

Its the ultimate example of sour grapes. If these games were at pricing you could easily afford, like they already are for some of us, you'd be buying some them with a smile on your face, because why not? But because you can't, everyone who can and does is a moron. Because games don't meet some random ideal in your mind of affordability.

>> No.7838562

>>7834807
I actually remember seeing Earthbound in the bargain bin of a Walmart. I remember it because the box was so fucking huge.

>> No.7838564

God Hand. My copy is scratched and I planned to replace it. Now it's over a hundred bucks for a copy. Fucking Youtubers spiked the price of it.

>> No.7838571

>>7838505
anon, you're just trying to exaggerate your worth on a basket weaving forum. we get it, you want to lecture people, but you're just an average literally who. maybe go to TED and give a lecture about it.
anyway, it's just high in comparison. $200 for an old game is just dumb. for $200, i can simply find more rewarding things to buy. games already cost a lot of money for basically just 40 hours of entertainment. old games on Steam go for $0-20, new good ones go for $15-60 depending if it's a sale or not. in comparison, it's not worth it for me to buy a $200 retro game no matter how i look at it.

>> No.7838593

I sold Misadventures of Tron Bonne for $100 like a decade ago.

>> No.7838608

>>7838505
You don't stay rich by paying more than what you need for things. Haven't you learnt anything from Scrooge McDuck?

>> No.7839090

>>7838505
>i'm so rich i can afford double reddit spacing
Yeah, that's totally how it works. Literally no one is laughing at your stupid broke ass right now.

>> No.7839138

>>7838505
the butthurt responses are proving you right. they don’t even understand why lmao

>> No.7839194

Traded in a complete copy of Phantasy Star for master system, a loose cartridge of the Punisher on Genesis, and a bunch of other genesis games at a local record/game shop for a grand total of about $15 off a loose copy of Splatter house Turbografx.
Dumb ape brain.

>> No.7841061

>the samefag responses are proving me right.

>> No.7841067
File: 26 KB, 499x243, Ra55db0dde23136a22c435e74b46de843.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7838505

>> No.7842489

>>7835664
feelsgoodman

>> No.7842539

>>7835959
People miss when the country wasn’t so shit. Simple as.

>> No.7844018
File: 3 KB, 208x216, 056016BF-357E-4A38-8E61-291D80AC1CD9.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7834807
Pic related. Parents had it for me for Christmas the year it came out. They asked if I still wanted since I rented Earthbound every weekend. Said nah, I’ll get it another time. Dumb dumb dumb. Probably got Shaq-Fu instead that year.

>> No.7844395

>>7834817
i had probably 2-3 copies of all 3 just picking them up as game stores dropped them. I had 8-10 milk creates of NES, SNES, and genesis games. nothing earth shattering probably 1-2 of ever dragon warrior for nes. Lots of shit that would sell these days like SMB, zelda, megaman, etc.

Lots of ps1 RPGS and FPS games. Duplicates never bothered me if i could get them for a few bucks. my brother sold it all for pennies for heroin in the early 2010s. I'm mad about it but he's dead so there's no point i guess.

I did completely dump my n64 collection at the height of covid for about $600. No regrets on that. I spent that in a month on retro PC shit these days.

I should just dump all my gameboy shit. I've got rarer GBA stuff that's just baking in my attic

the cheap games right now aren't retro. the crap you don't want was the same crap people didn't want back then and you could buy for pennies. ps3, xbox 360, wii, wiiu are all good candidates.

>> No.7844426

>>7835803
this. there are retro games (ps1, n64, ps2) that are entirely second gen anthologies. that shit was popular back then. The atari was going strong since the 70s and it took 40 years for people to lose interest. fuck, the first "retro" console I bought in 2005 when I was in college was an atari 2600 because they were fucking cool.

I played atari 15 years ago for the same reasons people play nes now, it was easy to get a game going, the games are easy to figure out, and the graphics and sounds were nostalgic. You idiots saying atari is different are full of shit.
The NES really didn't pick up steam in the US until 1986. the prices of the cartridges are stagnating already and to "muh everlasting nes" tards in this thread: not every game on the NES was a nintedo, konami, or capcom classic that gets re-released and marketed yearly. Most NES games are not going to stand the test of time. No one is going to play $150 for flintstones 2 or $20 for color dreams carts in 10 years when the NES is 40.

>> No.7844460

>>7834807
Sharp x68000 on ebay for $150 or so, decided against if because I thought it was just arcade ports that you could get on ps1 anyway. I doubt they would even want to ship from Japan anymore for something so big.

>>7839194
What year, even in 2002 Phantasy star sms was a pretty expensive game.

>> No.7844498

>>7844395
Sucks about your brother, but I'm sure the person you knew was gone long before he died.

>> No.7844617

Not a game but a handheld system... I wish I got GBA micro when it was twenty bucks. I can't justify spending 200 just to satisfy my curiosity, but I am curious at how it plays.

>> No.7844670

>>7834807
I've owned 2 copies of Earthbound in my life. The first I got for full MSRP when it came out. The 2nd, for $5 in a Walmart bargain bin. Said bargain bin was FULL of the goddamn things. They could've get rid of them.

Now though people think it's some kind of fuckin' masterpiece instead of an alright Dragon Quest clone with "le qwirky humor".

>> No.7844672

>>7844670
Couldn't get rid of them, I mean.

>> No.7844684

>>7834926
>Most videogames have performed better than the stock market for the past decade

Not to be pedantic but the odds of picking games that will appreciate in value is pretty slim. You need to have super rare games, as the name implies rare means unlikely you'll find it.

If you bought the S&P 500 you'd have seen a 200% ish return in 10 years. So trippling your money reliably.

Only reason I add this is please don't make poor financial decisions and justify it saying it's an investment. You will likely lose money.

>> No.7844708

psx games, the prices are getting completely out of my range now and it was my first home console

>> No.7844725

I regret nothing. All old consoles are easily hackable. You do not need the actual game if you want to enjoy it, just a dump of the game data saved somewhere.

>> No.7844830

Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters.

Basically any mid-to-late 90s English home release.

>> No.7844835

man dumb question: why aren't sega games worth more? does no one collect them event? even the most popular ones are like 50 bucks each when even common but well liked snes games are over 100

>> No.7844848

>>7844835
have you never seen sega saturn prices?

>> No.7845678

I wish I'd have picked up Shantae and also some of the genesis big name games like Centy and Musha before the prices took off.

I've never sold anything, but I'll always regret letting my brother convince me to throw out the cardboard boxes to half the genesis games we had.

I'm sure in 20 years the surprise expensive games will be from the 7th or 8th generations. It's not retro (yet), but I'm sure there's lots of obscure PS3 games that are cheap now that won't be later. Then again most of the "rare" games from that era seem to be special editions. Most of the Wii U games got ports to switch, so I doubt most of them will hold any value (except maybe Devil's Third), and 360 doesn't seem to have too many rare ones.

>> No.7845759

>>7844670
you play EB for the soul, art vibes and atmosphere. if you dont care for this, indeed it's "an alright Dragon Quest clone with "le qwirky humor"".

>> No.7846112

>>7845678
Wii U is going to be a sleeper hit for a long time. That console is going to be a collector's dream in the future because:
Low sale numbers
Multiple pieces to the console (think of all the broken tablets and tossed main consoles from people mistaking them for a wii)
Every release had tablet support so every multi plat had "special content". I'm sure a lot of games didn't do a lot with the table,but the splinter cell game and mass effect had tablet only features. That's the kind of stuff that people like to explore as games get older.
Automatic nintendo tax.

>> No.7847715

>>7844684
>the odds of picking games that will appreciate in value is pretty slim. You need to have super rare games, as the name implies rare means unlikely you'll find it.
omega wrong. most means most. rare games have gotten even more expensive but across all systems popular titles are also stupid money. symphony of the night is $100. paper mario thousand year door is $100. pokemon ss/hg are $200. and people are buying them.

if someone had invested 10 years ago in an average selection of gba/ds/gamecube/ps1 games they would have outperformed the s&p

>> No.7847753

>>7844426
>the prices of the cartridges are stagnating already
no they fucking aren't lol. the coof caused all games for popular systems (like NES and onward) to skyrocket in value and they aren't even close to coming down. funny, you know what games barely moved at all? atari games. because nobody wants to buy that garbage.

>> No.7847759

>>7845678
I had a crack at Crusader of Centy and Musha for 200 each with their boxes about 5-6 years ago.

It seemed like a lot back then but I'd take both in a heartbeat.

>> No.7848353

>>7847753
irrelevant because everything went up during covid. baseball cards became suddenly expensive again after 20 years. saying NES is some immortal power house and atari is trash because a pandemic made everyone stay at home it not a good argument. Look at 2018 and 2019 prices for a better idea of where things are heading. we're in the nostalgia power gap right now in the US because of the crash in the early 80s. Some of us have been "retro gaming" since the 2000s and it was around atari, inellivision, coleco, 8bit computers, etc. back then and people moved on an lost interest.

>> No.7848989

>>7848353
>everything went up during covid
everything except atari games LOL

>> No.7851361

>>7844684
>Not to be pedantic but the odds of picking games that will appreciate in value is pretty slim
that's why I watch pete's game room for all my buying advice

>> No.7851408

>>7836443
>rest of world just emulates
Wouldnt you rather play the real thing? If you werent poor

>> No.7851627

>>7851408
don't worry, most americans are gonna know what it's like to be poor in the next decade

>> No.7851631

>>7844426
>>7848353
There's not much continuity between the second generation of gaming and gaming today so for younger collectors the NES era might as well be the true birthplace of gaming

>> No.7851651

>>7835465
Based Mr. Pants enthusiast

>> No.7852324 [DELETED] 

>>7851631
>pete says to buy solatorobo 10 years ago
>lol nobody is gonna want this gay furry shit
>prices now
fuck

>> No.7852326

>>7851361
>pete says to buy solatorobo 10 years ago
>lol nobody is gonna want this gay furry shit
>prices now
fuck

>> No.7852340

>>7847715
$100? yeah sure, if you found these games for $5 or so, that would have been a good investment, except how many you will find? how many of them will never take of, how many hours you will waste looking for them, and getting tons of garbage with ebay lots? and if you bought the games for the full price, you barely broke even or even lost money due to inflation. i'm yet to actually see someone get rich from buying retro vidya.

>> No.7852343

>>7847715
looking at coomlectors i know, it's all just one big cope to pretend you're not a manchild hoarding games and chasing the feel you got when you were a kid playing SNES, but some "shrewd investor" or "preservationist".