[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 321 KB, 1820x1024, NESBros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
782250 No.782250 [Reply] [Original]

My new Ice Hockey cart isn't working very well. It has frequent graphical glitches and crashes, even with repeated cleanings. I don't think it's my NES necessarily either, though I admit I haven't tested many other games on it recently. Also, I find that repeated cleanings of the Ice Hockey cart continue to pull more dirt, some of it very dark brown and even reddish brown.

What would be a good next step for some intense cleaning of the cartridge? 5 or 6 good q-tips with rubbing alcohol and I'm still getting a decent amount of dirt off of it.

>> No.782267

disassemble the cart to get better access to the pins.
Rub the shit out of it with a soft cloth instead of a Qtip

>> No.782284

If repeated cleanings don't do the trick, I'd recommend replacing the 72 pin connector in your NES. It's very easy to replace, and you can get a new connector for only $10 on Nintendo's Amazon page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0MIRwQIQmk

And while you've got your NES open, disable the lockout pin too!

>> No.782291

>>782284
This. If the pins aren't solid, the cartridge can slide around, causing missed connections and graphical glitches, kinda like those Goldeneye glitch videos.

>> No.782297

>>782284
>disable the lockout too!

Beat you by about 7 years on that one. I have long avoided buying new 72 pin adapters though. Last time I did anything for it was a 'tightening' job where I bent the pins back into position. Dunno if I can remember how to do it anymore though.