[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 290x344, sc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7811943 No.7811943 [Reply] [Original]

Can we have a Star Control 2 thread? on /v/ you can only get threads going if you talk about the Orz. but I want to talk about the game itself because it makes me happy and there's not a lot of people out there talking about it.

I enjoy this game's writing especially for 1992 standards. The way the Spathi are portrayed as complete chickens is hilarious, and I like games that have a combat element but keep it to the side of player exploration. I get a star trek feeling playing this game also mixed in alongside Space Engine.

So what is your favorite group/civilization in this game and what is your favorite memory of it /vr/?

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

>> No.7812060

>>7811943
My favorite race was the Arilou, discovering them and the creation of the Chmmr were my favorite memory.

One of the best games I have ever played.

>> No.7812062
File: 633 KB, 1024x768, thorianurquan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7811943
I only played Star Control 2 a couple years ago because people kept comparing Mass Effect to it, but I also love it and wish more games were like it. I'm not a fan of the combat, but everything else is excellent. In a way, my dislike of the combat was also a fun incentive to solve as much as possible in a diplomatic way since being thrust into combat felt like a genuine negative outcome unlike most other games.

>> No.7812165

>>7811943
My favorite memory is when I sold some of my crew and actually got called out on it the next time I visited Earth.

>> No.7812314

Thraddash dialogue will always be the high point of the game for me. Someone had a lot of fun writing them.

>> No.7812354

In the original DOS version, did the Ilwrath permanently change their words if you pranked them into it? I know with the voice acting that wouldn't have been possible, but the text-only DOS version could have some word-substitution code in it, right? Just curious if they took it that far originally.

>> No.7812819

>>7811943
I find it ironic that the developer of this game is called "Toys for Bob", and they went on to develop Skylanders, which is also ironic

>> No.7812845

>>7812819
>I find it ironic that the developer of this game is called "Toys for Bob"
Why is that ironic?

>> No.7813908

>>7811943
I played SC 3 before I ever had the chance to play 2, and for that reason alone, I don't hate it. Having finished 2 multiple times, I can't imagine the utter disappointment that must have settled in after hearing all of the recycled dialogue while ugly puppets shook around. The Ur-Quan were always my favorite in 3, and now I realize how dirty they did them.

>> No.7815575

>>7811943
>The Spathi ship [...] is most dangerous when running from the enemy and launching BUTT (Backward Utilised Tracking Torpedo) missiles directly into its pursuer's path. The Spathi commander's main job is to entice his opponent into chasing him. Taunts and jeers work well.
Great game. I still suck at combat despite the practice I had with Super Melee. Maybe I should give another shot to the latter then try with the campaign

>> No.7815731

>>7815575
I sucked badly at combat with anything other than Vux really. You don't have to get good at winning those equal-footing melees, you just have to live until you get your ship upgraded with that one broker alien's better weapons and gear, after finding some rainbow worlds. When your main ship fires a spread of shots that home-in on the enemy and you kill most in one shot or two without even being that good at aiming, you're fine for the rest of the game.

>> No.7815748

>when you find out that the androsynth were wiped out by some unmentionable eldritch horror.
good shit.

>> No.7815768

Brilliant game, I think probably in the top 10 of all time. The best ship is the Mrrnhrrm Transformer. Everything about the game lore and story is pure genius. The music is exceptional. I have the Pkunk theme as my phone ringtone.

>> No.7815782
File: 3 KB, 125x103, proxy-image[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7815748
>when you *tell stories* too much about the *silly* androsynth
No more androsynth stories.

>> No.7815787
File: 103 KB, 723x600, tumblr_n6eaopuN4j1ro2bqto1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7811943
I hope, OP, that you played the original Star Control first, before SC2. The game's story is so much more impactful if you did. Even if you played SC2 first, I still recommend emulating the original, playing the campaigns through and enjoying the cool art and lore in the game manual.

>> No.7815797
File: 72 KB, 720x690, 1460688906523.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7815782
Nooo, *Squishy*, I'm sorry! I was just curious!

>> No.7815798
File: 119 KB, 467x487, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>no update for 3 years
Bros...

>> No.7816097

>>7815748
On one hand they had such a cool and close-to-home backstory that I was disappointed they were gone, but the writers' choice to have our closest and physically nearest friends be mysteriously disappeared by whatever Orz is was still a good one. It drove home that this could easily happen to us and it's already in our fucking backyard. And no one would know what happened.

>> No.7816105

>>7815798
Bruh no one would leave a message like that one hanging for this long if it weren't a suicide note. They're dead.

>> No.7816190
File: 34 KB, 698x400, turbo-button-pc-case.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7815575
I remember the combat being slower when I played it originally, compared to Ur-Quan Masters where it's really fast
Maybe I played it on a slow PC at the time
Makes me wish for a button I could press to slow down Ur-Quan Masters

>> No.7816192

>>7815787
>playing the campaigns
I didn't remember SC1 even having campaigns
I only ever played it 2-player

>> No.7816212

>>7816190
Perhaps that's it, I'm playing The Ur-Quan Masters and it's ridiculously fast. Maybe I just need to git gud though.

>> No.7816273
File: 10 KB, 374x135, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Out of pure morbid curiosity, I decided to try out Star Control Origins, just to see if it really is bad or if it's just fanboyism.
It's... really, so mediocre that you can't even get mad.
It plays like a clone of SC2 in every way. Except that the graphics and voice acting all look and sound like they fell off the back of a cereal box. It's really, really childish.
Perhaps the most insulting part of this game is that, in a game where talking to aliens is the main appeal, the actual voice recordings have zero quality control. None of the voiceclips in the game are properly trimmed, so there's a random delay from 0 to 3 seconds between each sentence, so everything that an alien says sounds very awkward and clunky, like the VA had to stop and read before each line. Also, several lines had obvious recording errors, like the VA saying the line twice, or the line having a solid 30 seconds of silence at the end.

The aliens themselves are... I can't say for sure how bad they are, given that I only played it for 5 hours, but they're also mediocre and childish.
The first alien you meet is The Race Of Perfectly Nice And Friendly slugs whose personality gimmick is that they're considered "the uncool kid in school" by other races (for no actual reason) so they constantly suck you off for agreeing to be their friends, and their half-assed verbal tick is that they say slug-related words a lot.
The second alien is The Race Of Perfectly Nice And Friendly squids whose personality gimmick is that... uhh... they really want to be your friends but you have to do a fetch quest before they let you. That's really it. Their verbal tick is that they say squish and splish a lot.
And the last race that I met before I gave up is The Race Of Baddies Who Bully Other Races whose personality gimmick is that they're evil but like, really apologetic and like, really nice guys and just following orders, oh and they like to kill themselves. Their verbal tick is that they say rarg rarg a lot.

>> No.7816327

>>7816192
It didn't, the story was entirely in the manual.

>> No.7817717
File: 37 KB, 480x224, utwig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

don't mind me, just bumping the based star control thread

>> No.7817735
File: 174 KB, 1100x619, matt-heuston-starcontrolalienconcept2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7816273
I finished it, here's my useless two cents.

I sort of liked the repetitive gameplay and overall feel of the game, but after playing SC2 I realized how bad it was. The combat was tight in my opinion, the soundtrack too - despite being overly generic at times - however, I really can't stand the writing, the new aliens and the art design they gave to them (even the humans. That Cruella De Vil ripoff for a commander is just laughable and I really don't want to know for who they wanted to pander with her). The only ones I found vaguely, vaguely hilarious were the Scryves themselves, but mostly because the Ugandan accent they gave to them was so out of place and yet so greatly done with all the autotune shit that they grew up on me. That "SAVAGE" will haunt me for years; they're still light years away from the awesome Ur-Quan of course, but still. The Trandals, not the normal kind but the ones possessed by an AI had an interesting backstory because of that, but they didn't take advantage of the full potential. The Menkmacks or as I like to call them the Space Jews are also wasted potential. Actually, this is a recurring theme of the game: wasted potential. From the very few secondary quests that are all the same, to the very mediocre, uninspired and even downright bad aliens (especially the ones you mentioned - and some more) but some could've been great. Like the Phamysht, the cannibals who are unironical trannies in space that adore vore - if it wasn't for that last part and the way they talk, again, it could've been slightly better. Finally the Xraki, the full-psychosis aliens whose sole reason to exist is just to be your average, crazy neurotic who got banished into another dimension by the bad guys because they were even wose. Eh... I don't hate this game. Considering 99.9% of videogames reboots are just bad, this is a mixed bag. I would've just preferred the original creators directed it - now THAT would've been something else.

>> No.7818821

bump

>> No.7819375

I just can't enjoy games with a time limit.

>> No.7820676

>>7819375
That's the only thing I don't like about this game, I agree

>> No.7820969
File: 16 KB, 412x512, OIP (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7815782
>>7815797
>>7815748
mfw

>> No.7821116

How the fuck do I do anything in combat, im getting so filtered so early on.

>> No.7821304

>>7819375
The time limit is pretty generous and enables you to fuck about plenty, and still get a good win. And if you screw up the first time you play and let some civilisations get wiped out, well, that's replay value

>> No.7821847

>>7815782
ok but what happened to androsynth

>> No.7823258
File: 2.05 MB, 2016x1512, Makes_Solar_Winds_great_because_I_wanted_more.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7811943
It is one of my most favorite DOS games. I think it has a compelling story as well, and I've thought Mass Effect was pretty much the same but updated from SC2. I liked the game so much I registered Solar Winds just because it was somewhat similar. I have been putting off playing Subverse, but I hope that is more of the joy I had in playing Star Control 2.

My favorites are Yehat for the cool looks and music but for combat, definitely Chmmr. I remember getting the game pirated, and it already had a .nfo from the pirate group with hints to the game. They even had a save well past the point of no return where almost all the races were killing each other off, which I never got to on normal playthroughs.

>> No.7823750

>>7821304
>And if you screw up the first time you play and let some civilisations get wiped out, well, that's replay value

it's 2021, you're supposed to win the first time and never play the game again

>> No.7823794

The zoq fot pik aliens dialogue still makes me smile/chuckle to this day, especially the silent one eyed alien in the back who would never say anything and just look back and forth at the other two . Pure genius (like much of the game) *chef kiss*

>> No.7824932

>>7821116
Get a good button setup and practice. A for thrust, B for shoot and C for special; forward for thrust isn't so good. There is a paper-scissors-stone aspect to the game; some ships simply cannot beat certain other types of ship if they have a reasonably competent pilot. Learn what does and doesn't work.

>> No.7824963
File: 1.54 MB, 1000x758, 1622654954952.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7821116
>>7824932
Or just use this graphic

>> No.7825014

This thread is awesome. Don't know if you guys knew this, but Ur-Quan Masters just pushed its first update in like.... 5 years? Probably more.

>> No.7825719

bump

>> No.7827420

>>7825014
I wasn't aware. What changed?

>> No.7827489

>>7824963
>Spathi D rank versus Slylandro
The guy who made this doesn't know how to pilot.

>> No.7827945

>>7827489
It says right on the image that this was done with AI vs AI battles.