[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 36 KB, 490x350, japan-surrenders.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
779812 No.779812 [Reply] [Original]

In action/adventure games (Zelda, Metroid, IGAvanias),
- best powerups add new gameplay mechanics,
- good powerups add new ways to tackle problems,
- boring powerups unlock doors,
- and shit powerups make the game easier.

Do we agree that these are the criteria by which to judge gameplay in zelda/metroid type of games, while music, story and other stuff is secondary? Do we agree that if the game built around these mechanics only has the stronger swords and door unlocks, it's a shitty game first and foremost, regardless of character design, soundtrack etc.?

>> No.779815

There's always Zelda and Metroid threads on this board. No need to start another

>> No.779816

>>779815
Thanks for your advice, but you should read the whole post and not just the first line before replying.

>> No.779831

I don't agree because blindly applying set guidelines like this will fail to account for the game as a whole.

>> No.779832
File: 1.48 MB, 379x342, 1343090014344.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>779812
I agree that your list is correct, but this isn't the only way of judging gameplay. I agree gameplay as a whole is the most important with a game, but "music, story and other stuff" do matter as well.

And what about games without power-ups? Are they shit because they do not have power-ups?

>> No.779837

>>779831
So, gameplay is not panimportant? Or these aspects are not panimportant for a Metoid game?

>> No.779838

>>779832
Games that rely on diferent mechanics are to be judged based on those mechanics, obviously.

Obviously.

>> No.779857
File: 861 KB, 2961x1662, 1364105513469.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>779838
Fine, but let's go back to Zelda and Metroid then.

The gameplay in Metroid can not be judged solely on power-ups. The gameplay is about discovery/searching and shooting/action. If Metroid were a linear game where you went through one long tunnel from left to right, but with good power-ups, that would not have been a good game. The whole aspect if discovery would be gone. A major part of the gameplay would be non-existent.

Same with Zelda; take away the temples or bosses or the big world or whatever, the game would suffer more from that than from having great power-ups.

My point is power-ups are good additions to a game, and may make a good game into a great game, but it is not the most important criteria of what constitutes a great game.

>> No.779909

>>779812
threads like this are why /vr/ is gradually turning to shit, its no different than /v/.
Subtle little
>hur dur lets cock mongle about which zelda game is better by setting the "DEFINITIVE /VR/ GUIDE" to judging zelda games
Here, I'm going to settle this for you.
Your favorite Zelda?
Its shit.
Now back to /v/

>> No.779924

>>779857
>The whole aspect if discovery would be gone.
Except the whole point of discovery is finding new abilities. It's not a travelling game.

Right? The sense of discovery is there, because new places actually bring new stuff.

>> No.779926

>>779909
Ironically enoug, you sound like you're fresh from /v/. Seriously. But I digress.