[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 24 KB, 448x392, 1476498452895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7739115 No.7739115 [Reply] [Original]

Is there ever going to be a way to preserve (mostly) original hardware in a usable state for old light gun arcade cabinets, in the longterm? What happens when the suitable CRT's run out? No ones ever going to make new ones, no one would be stupid enough. So LCD/etc display conversions would be extremely desirable.

I've been curious about this topic and discovered some methods of making LCD's work by using a wiimote and an IR box, which functions on original hardware that has composite input, but the kits don't seem to be sold currently, and there's really no other option short of some really hacked together possibilities, and the wiimote option is mostly intended for console use anyway, it would require the defacing of cabinets, or an awkward wart mounted to them.

The original hardware feels like it will just rot until the CRT's run out, or just for good. Is there any hope for these machines getting a more convenient solution than hacky nonsense?

>> No.7739120

>>7739115
>No ones ever going to make new ones
Hoarders wish this was true so bad

>> No.7739138

>>7739120
The profit margins on making them can't possibly be very high, can they? I'd like to see more being made for this exact application, but I can't see them being anything other than an extremely expensive niche item if they were, so much more so now that things like the Sinden light gun are well known among people who emulate.

>> No.7739171

>>7739138
>The profit margins on making them can't possibly be very high, can they?
in the scenario you're pitching where there is next to none of them left, demand will still exist to enough of a point for someone, somewhere to start making them

>> No.7739252

>>7739171
do you understand how cathode ray tubes operate and are manufactured?

>> No.7739308

>>7739171
That theory doesn't really hold up with everything, and while I already mentioned that it is possible, they will still likely be prohibitively expensive. Granted, for preservation that's not a huge issue, but because of how CRT's are made it's unlikely that they'll ever be made by people attempting to appeal to an extremely tiny hobbyists market.

>> No.7739328

>>7739115
CRTs are not going to just run out. When one dies it can be repaired.

>> No.7739642

plenty of projects are working on this problem.
do some research before posting.

>> No.7739920

>>7739115
>all that childish speculation
wew lad

>>7739138
more childish speculation
wew lad. Towards the end of them being commonly used they were dirt cheap. Some time in the late 90's I bought a 36" Skyworth RGB for RMB1,500. That was a little over US$150 at the time. It obviously cost much less than that to make it and could probably sell for 10x that today. If you made slightly smaller ones for arcade machines, which would cost even less to make, you could sell buttloads at the going rate of ~$700. And extremely expensive niche item = high profit margin, fucktard.

>> No.7740156

>>7739115
Technology moves fast. Alternative solutions to the problem will be available long before the last CRTs become unrepairable.