[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 15 KB, 259x194, download (49).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7447367 No.7447367 [Reply] [Original]

Sure, there are a lot of old games that have never been improved on, or that are perfect enough that they're timeless. But other times, the tech was REALLY holding devs back, and isn't so much any more. What are some genres that you always prefer modern to retro, when you can get it?
Racing games spring to mind for me. I can't think of any old racing game I'd prefer to modern ones, except maybe ReVolt (and that's just because nobody has bothered to update that formula). But for everything else, cart racers to simulation, the current stuff beats the old hands-down.

>> No.7447395

>>7447367

Retro arcade racing games are still fun because devs were not aiming for realism. Retro racing simulators on the other hand are not even close to modern ones due to the fact that physics engines are getting better and better and modern PCs are more capable of running physics-heavy games.

>> No.7447409

>>7447395
They may still be fun, but there are better arcade racers now with tighter controls, better graphics, etc. Mario Kart 8, for instance, is better than earlier mario karts by almost any metric other than speedrun glitchability or "soul". The new Need For Speed games are better if you're into that kind of shit also.

>> No.7447425

>>7447367

It's really only the ones that strive for any kind of realism (either in terms of gameplay or aesthetics) that age badly. Games like F-Zero X, Episode 1 Racer or the assortment of 90's kart racers all play fine to this day. For others like Crazy Taxi 3 or Outrun 2 I'm not sure what else could be done to improve them.

>> No.7447445

>>7447367
Not necessarily a genre but I can't play anything 3D that isn't from the 7th gen up. The graphics themselves don't even bother me that much but I can't stand to play anything 3D below 30fps.

>> No.7447447

>>7447367
I still enjoy some racing games like Outrun as I think they have a specific style that doesn't exist anymore. Racing on essentially a 2D plane feels different.

Sports games spring to mind though. Outside of nostalgia for games I played as a kid there's no reason to go back to them over modern games.

>> No.7447448

>obsolete
>dated
>aged

>> No.7447456

>>7447367
>But for everything else, cart racers to simulation, the current stuff beats the old hands-down.
zoom zoom

>> No.7447460

I find the old Tomb raider games are unplayable. The experience of raiding tombs has been far improved since then.

>> No.7447476

I can’t even think of any modern racing games i’ve enjoyed since around 2010 besides the dirt games and not the sim garbage. Everything wants to be realistic nowadays and realism isn’t fun.

>> No.7447481

>>7447448
>op
>bt
>fo

>> No.7447498

i'll play nobunaga's ambition 14 over the older titles any day.

>> No.7447539

>>7447409
>Mario Kart 8, for instance,

Man, that soulless shit? Nintendo games have been bland for at least a decade man. That's the game you're gonna hold up as some amazing new experience?

>better graphics

The hell you here for hommie?

>> No.7447554

>>7447539
>the hell you here for
There are a lot of things retro games do that new ones just don't, and an extremely well made is extremely well made in any context. But some genres just don't age well

>> No.7447558

>>7447367
>Obsolete
>I can't think of any old racing game I'd prefer to modern ones
Worst thread I've seen on here in weeks, there's a retro racing game general on this very board you blind faggot

>> No.7447569

>>7447367
fzero
mario kart
donkey kong racing
gran turismo 2
beetle racing
cruisin usa
wipeout
All better than modern racing

>> No.7447581

>>7447367
if anything racing regressed as a genre, at least arcade racing did. NFS was better in the 90s/2000s, midnight club doesn't even exist anymore, genki haven't made a game in over a decade, wipeout and fzero don't even exist anymore. we got some indie arcade titles in recent years that were good but that's about it.

furthermore modded RBR is still one of the better simulators out there.

>> No.7447598

>>7447569
Uh, nope. All of those have been easily eclipsed by later sequels or successors, and no amount of nostalgiafag circlejerking will change that

>> No.7447602

>>7447581
oh and I forgot forza horizon, that was decent but there's only so much open world racing you can do before you get bored

gran turismo 1/2/3/4 are still better than the newer ones. IDK about Forza, I never got around to playing it

>> No.7447613

>>7447602
oh and I forgot PGR, Enthusia, etc etc etc. the late 90s and 2000s were the king of racing games,

>> No.7447646

>>7447598
Buddy you're just going to have to admit you're on the wrong fucking board. Nobody agrees with you.

>> No.7447648

>>7447598
nah

>> No.7447651

>>7447646
racing games didn't even evolve much from the late 90s anyway (unless we count social media integration and having an annoying open world in everything), OP is probably just trolling

>> No.7447714

>>7447554

Honestly you sound like some stupid kid who owns a switch. Your premise is wrong and stupid. There's a lot of good old racing games and a lot of good new ones. If anything, it's the genre that saw the least meaningful changes.

>> No.7447765

>>7447367
Who cares if it's "rendered obsolete"? I can still enjoy a text adventure game regardless of the existence of modern RPGs. I can play Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat competitively with my friends because we're familiar with the roster. Pong.

There are autists here that will debate until they're blue in the face because they believe their system of choice has the best audio hardware, not because of specifications but because of style. There is such a variety of style to enjoy that people now debate what style is best. No matter how advanced technology gets, appreciation for limited hardware will always exist. No matter how far game genres progress, people will always appreciate the classics for what they are.

>> No.7447863

>>7447765
Everyone who takes this position assumes "rendered obsolete" means "an external authority tells you its bad now", which is retarded and obviously not what it means. Only insecure people read judgement into a statement like that. What it actually means is "you'll probably have more fun playing a newer game".
If you're playing a racing game, the satisfaction comes from either:
>The mayhem and dynamism of a cart racer
>The smooth speed and action of an arcade racer
>The detailed simulation of a racing sim
All of these things are done better by later games, so you'll enjoy yourself more if you play a new one, unless you're EXPLICITLY looking for "soul" or some other nostalgiafag stuff

>> No.7447871

>>7447581
>at least arcade racing did
It just kind of died.

>> No.7447873

>>7447367
No zoomie "racing game" can compare to classic shit. You're a sad little confused zoomer. I pity you for never being able to enjoy the fast moving blocky scaling of the old sega masters.

>> No.7448028
File: 104 KB, 245x315, 1590713826585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447863
The only assumption that happened is you assuming I used comparatives. What I actually said was regarding how new, "better" experiences aren't particularly attractive to a classic gamer because these old games are *still effective entertainment.* That doesn't dismiss the value of the new, and there is nothing wrong with enjoying an older game when there are objectively better choices *because* it is still enjoyable; I know a modern RPG would technically be an objectively better experience because it's pretty and the music is fully orchestrated and all that guff, yet that doesn't devalue the experience you can still have with a text adventure as they engage your imagination differently (imho more) and you can put on whatever background music you want. It is still effective as an adventure game and as entertainment, so long as you can appreciate the now-antiquated design within the context it existed.

It's like watching silent films. They may not be as impressive outside of their intended venue, but you can still appreciate them for what they are and not what they lack (like aural dialog).

If you wanted aural dialog, what are you doing watching silent films?

>> No.7448076 [DELETED] 

>>7447367
GT and GT2 were the peak, GT3 and later were gimped in various ways.

>> No.7448120
File: 27 KB, 800x600, QDIHRDeNVcUDxsJT.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Besides sims on PC, I've no reason to go past PS2 or backcompat PSX games
>enjoy older Gran Turismo games to the PS3/4 games
>prefer Burnout 1-Revenge over Paradise
>SegaAges Outrun and Coast 2 Coast have no modern analogue
>Micro Machines is dead
>NFS Underground games reflecting an era when Fast and The Furious was still about street racing are more fun than the newer trash that EA shits out
>alternative racing titles like SSX, Splashdown, and Downhill Domination, are better than that Steep shit
>older F1 titles portray a better time in the sport

>> No.7448128

>>7448028
>silent films
That's a fair point, but it's also not very controversial to say that filmmaking has evolved to be "better" than in the silent film era along many non-trivial axes. Citizen Kane, while not silent, is so well regarded in large part because it pioneered a much smoother form of cinema; Breathless even more so. But compared to a modern Paul Thomas Anderson movie, they both move like molasses. Games are the same way. There's intellectual entertainment to be found in old games, but if your goal is "enjoy the experience of racing a virtual car", the barrier to entry and the ceiling of enjoyment will be much higher for a newer game because the elements that make up that experience are highly technologically dependent. Conflating "firsthand" enjoyment with nostalgic/intellectual/hobbyist enjoyment is silly, and inhibits productive conversation by fostering a circlejerk.

>> No.7448229

I actually haven't played Goldeneye ever again since Perfect Dark was released.

>> No.7448261

>>7447367
For me granturiso 1 feels pretty good, the physics are pretty exagerated so you can do fair bit of drifting and the way it leans around corners but real enough so you feel like you are controlling something. In 2 they toned it down a bit but still enjoyable.

>>7448076
In the gt3 its pretty realistic for the time but if you compared it to something like asseto corsa, the cars just feel like you are controlling wooden crates, just feels crap. Even daytona on dreamcast just feel like an immitator.

>>7447367
Retro classic collections on ps1 etc but still interesting to try atari pitfall in the mayan adventure just to see how close they got.
Also games where you need to type a lot.
Those old drift games on saturn and ps1 also control and look pretty bad, just skip to tokyo extreme racer on dreamcast.

>> No.7448283

>>7447367
Most of the best racing games are from 6th generation and earlier.

F-Zero, X, GX
OutRun, Outrunners, OutRun 2
Sega Rally
early Wipeout series
Daytona 1, 2, 2001
most of the best Mario Karts
Rad Racer
Ridge Racer 1, Rage, and Revolution
Hang-On, Super Hang-On
Wave Race
plus a ton of less popular arcade and console games

Modern racing pales in comparison

>> No.7448294

Turd based combat. No excuse for that shit after the 5th gen

>> No.7448302

>>7447460
Please provide examples, I want some actual tomb raiding.

>> No.7448526

>>7447367
There is literally no genre that modern does better than retro, get out of here bro. The best racing games ever made were made 20 years ago. As far as mechanical simulation and physics we have barely moved past Gran Turismo 4 and that is technically retro here now.

If virtual reality can be considered an umbrella genre, then that is the only one I could give to modern, but in all honesty I’ve had more fun with a Virtual Boy.

Honestly you should receive a three day ban for this post, it’s that belligerent.

>> No.7448530
File: 111 KB, 1488x1392, 1576069681654.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7448128
>the obsession over "better"
Nobody's forcing anyone to play Test Drive 3 as their only choice of racing game, and yet some choose to play anyways for the same reason some still watch older film formats. They still retain entertainment value.

You did watch Citizen Kane, didn't you? That should clearly illustrate how we can enjoy works within the context of their creation; Productive conversations about these works are entirely subject to an individual's experience with, and by extension their understanding of the given medium; Creating an arbitrary standard for discussing and enjoying purely innovative works will not improve conversation quality here because innovation doesn't necessarily determine what an individual values and therefore discusses. While innovation allows for more refined expression and therefore "better" works, you can still find entertainment value in standard definition.

By assigning objective value to countless games in a given genre from your anecdotal opinion on a "better experience", you've missed the whole point of playing classic games. If you don't like a design choice an older game made, that's completely understandable. To then say those older games have less value than newer games with more innovation on a board for appreciating old video games is hilariously lacking self-awareness. Seriously, why are you even here?

>> No.7448568

>>7448530
>Citizen Kane
Not the person you're talking to, but FUCK Citizen Kane. Fucking underhanded low-class below-the-belt attack that was rightfully panned by the audiences when it came out. Fuck Citizen Kane and every asshole who blindly repeats it was a "classic" when it was politically motivated.

>> No.7448585

>>7447367
racing is broken up into genres:
- arcade
- simulator
simulator always ages poorly. arcade racers aren't focused on the realism, which has given a lot of them longevity.

>> No.7448602 [DELETED] 

>>7448568
Therein lies the core of my point: Classic does not necessarily mean "best". Am I going to deem every single old game as good simply because it's old? No, but I can enjoy a game regardless of its age if it's a good game. It doesn't have to be "the best", it just has to serve its purpose as entertainment. With that reasoning, I can appreciate novel concepts for games that didn't take off as well. FMV games come to mind.

>> No.7448643

>>7447409
>Mario Kart 8, for instance, is better than earlier mario karts by almost any metric
Double Dash, wii, DS, and even N64 are all better than 8. You're a delusional shill for believing otherwise.

>> No.7448708

>>7448568
Therein lies the core of my point: Classic does not necessarily mean "the best", if nothing else it communicates being outstanding to some degree. Would I deem every single old game as amazing simply because it's old? No, but I can enjoy a game on its own merit regardless. It doesn't have to be "the best", it just has to serve its purpose as entertainment.

As for Citizen Kane, regardless of what you claim audiences thought, it remains a significant film in American culture.

>> No.7448771

>>7447409
>MK8 is better than earlier Mario Karts
That's a fucking joke. MK stopped being good after the Wii.

>> No.7448786

>>7448643
Super Mario Kart = 64 = 8 > the rest

>> No.7448795
File: 18 KB, 355x355, 71rK84kQMyL._SY355_.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447409
Mario kart 8 has pretty unfun physics and is insultingly too easy. I loved how the karts felt in 64 plus the battle mode was awesome. Even remakes of 64 tracks don't feel the same at all like Toad's turnpike is unrecognisable and the road is now super wide open and the npc traffic is now much smaller, taking out much of the intensity of the track.
They got rid of last man standing balloon battle too so nobody is ever left out not being able to play. Lame. Could've made it a option but its been missing since wii

>> No.7449909

>>7447409
>The new Need For Speed games are better
This is the worst post of all time. All of the Ghost era NFS games are terrible.

>> No.7450205

>>7448643
This couldn't be more wrong.

8 > Wii > DS > 64 > DD > Super

Never played 7 or GBA but they'll probably go by 8 and Super

>> No.7450973

>>7447367
If you prefer "arcade style racing" then the older games are going to absolutely blow away the modern stuff.

>> No.7451006
File: 91 KB, 861x635, cd4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447367
>What are some genres that you always prefer modern to retro, when you can get it?
>I can't think of any old racing game I'd prefer to modern ones
>implying Super Hang on, Outrun, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Ridge Racer, and Rush still aren't fun
Of all the genres to single out you picked the one that's the most fun. This is like saying arcade sports games such as NBA Jam and NFL Blitz are outdated because modern EA "sim" trash is more technologically advanced. Kill yourself post haste.
>>7447409
>The new Need For Speed games are better if you're into that kind of shit also.
NFS has been eating raw ass after Most Wanted 2005. >>>/v/ and fucking stay there.

>> No.7451010

>No Ridge Racer since 6,7
Feels bad man, also fuck you that wanabee burnout game is not ridge racer.

>> No.7451016

>>7447863
>The mayhem and dynamism of a cart racer
Cart racers fucking suck ass now.
>The smooth speed and action of an arcade racer
>All of these things are done better by later games
Name one modern arcade racer that isn't warmed over indie trash aping a better arcade racer from 20 years ago.

>> No.7451030

>>7447554
>and an extremely well made is extremely well made in any context
Which applies to racing games, especially arcade racers. Unironically eat a shotgun.

>> No.7451078

>>7447367
I'd still take GT's simulation mode over any modern racing game's progression system. Win money by racing to buy whatever car or upgrade you can afford so you can win bigger money and join bigger races at your own pace. And name a new racing game where you can find your parent's '92 Mazda Protégé in a used dealership and make it race worthy just because you can.

>> No.7451286

>>7447602
Forza also peaked by the 4th game.

>> No.7451351
File: 542 KB, 1920x1080, 1607541243384.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447460

>> No.7451375

>>7447367
Man, Outrun is still fun as fuck.

>> No.7452285
File: 1.04 MB, 960x539, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447367

baby RPGs that don't even have guns in them.

They have been throughouly obsoleted by adult RPGs have have guns in them

>> No.7452290

>>7447460
>>7451351
raiding wombs > raiding tombs

>> No.7452297

>>7452285
God Fallout 4's gun models look so retarded.

>> No.7452325

>>7448294
Filtered

>> No.7452341

>>7447409
> Mario Kart 8, for instance, is better than earlier mario karts by almost any metric other than speedrun glitchability or "soul".
That's where you're wrong. MKWii has the best roster of maps, the best driving physics, and imo the best artstyle. MK8 started adding too much pseudo-realistic stuff and veered into an awkward territory between cartoony and realistic while Wii was 100% unambiguously cartoony. Also, coins were a retarded idea that never should have been added to the series.

>> No.7452405

>>7452341
Coins were there since at least the GBA game. I forget if they were in the OG one. I agree that Wii is the best though

>> No.7452493
File: 697 KB, 1400x932, Hearst-hibernia-yell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7448568
imagine taking the side of william randolph hearst in literally anything lol
at least his granddaughter was cool for a bit

>> No.7452537
File: 572 KB, 1280x960, autobahnraser_trabant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7453685

>>7452405
> I forget if they were in the OG one.
They were.

>> No.7454178
File: 182 KB, 738x900, zoom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447409
>The new Need For Speed games are better

The ABSOLUTE FUCKING STATE of modern NFS:

https://youtu.be/1t5Qu3j51l0?t=283

So bad he literally risked his life playing it.

>> No.7454245

>>7452537
I’ve always wanted to use a trabant in a racing game. What game?

>> No.7454284

>>7447367
Need For Speed Hot Persuit, Porsche Unleashed, and Carmageddon are still quite playable.

Crazy Taxi, though a different kind of driving game rather than racing, is also still playable.

And as somebody else mentioned, Episode I Podracer is also cool.

>> No.7454287

>>7454245
I would too.

I got Trabant mods for San Andreas.

>> No.7454289

imagine being retarded like op lmao

>> No.7454343

>>7454289
People on the board do almost nothing but argue yet I've never seen an OP so thoroughly eviscerated in my life, I don't know what he expected

>> No.7454395

>>7454245
filename.jpg

>> No.7454428
File: 82 KB, 600x337, Virtua-Racin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Help me understand, why is Virtua Racing so fun? It's almost literally a tech demo game, and the physical arcade machine itself was really impressive, with its force feedback steering wheel and such. But now 3D is standard and I'm playing it on a standard controller. There are only three tracks and one car. I have no strong nostalgia for it. It's not completely distinctive from more modern games the way that super scaler games are -- logically, later 3D racers should be a 100% improvement. Why is it this so great?

>> No.7454879

>>7447460
Modern Tomb Raider isn't about methodically exploring tombs anymore.

>> No.7455674
File: 717 KB, 435x500, 1583357364228.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7454428
Because you personally enjoy the mechanics, specifically how they feel to play. That's the core of classic gaming.