[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 119 KB, 914x500, 3420022021191913.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7444559 No.7444559 [Reply] [Original]

So do you enjoy the original Castlevania or the ones that introduced the RPG elements? Why?

>> No.7444561

>>7444559
I know how to enjoy both because I don't have the stupid or the autism like OP.

>> No.7444569

>>7444559
I like both because I'm not a fucking faggot. That being said it'd be nice if we had some more classic styled games the SotN ones got stale by the time DoS came out and you could tell even the devs were getting tired of it when they tried to change things up a bit with PoR and OoE.

>> No.7444575

>>7444559
The only time I have fun playing these games is in the extra modes

>> No.7444584

>>7444559
Anything past SotN is crap.

>> No.7444597

I prefer the classic Castlevanias because of the stronger level design.
The Metroidvanias rely too much on flat corridors with enemies sprinkled throughout. Order of Ecclesia is the post-SotN Castlevania with the better level design and it is also the one that strays a bit from its formula, so I don't think SotN was a good template to begin with.

>> No.7444602
File: 180 KB, 1122x527, virgin-chad-castlevania.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444559
2D linear Castlevania is the only good Castlevania.

FUCK backtracking and FUCK rpg cancer.

>> No.7444625

>>7444602
Found the bigot

>> No.7444638

>>7444559
I don't necessarily mind the metroid elements but the rpg stat grinding specifically has always killed those games for me, the difficulty gets sanded down to nothing by midgame, you can at least avoid getting all of the energy tanks in metroid.

>> No.7444642

>>7444559
>Super Castlevania Bros. 4
>classic Castlevania

>> No.7444651
File: 1.78 MB, 1534x2100, c3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444559
Castlevania I and III will always be the best ones

>> No.7444654

>>7444559
Classic castlevania is the best. But breezing through SOTN every other year for the audio visual experience is nice too

>> No.7444707

>>7444561
This. Both are pretty good.

>> No.7444748

Sotntrannies get the rope.

>> No.7444795

Bloodlines and IV are the best

>> No.7446567
File: 114 KB, 900x637, supercvbros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444795
>IV
>best
LOL no

>> No.7446584

>>7444559
My brother was into SOTN and the handheld games when they were releasing but I could never get into them
Wish there were more games similar to Rondo and Bloodlines, those are the peak for me personally

>> No.7446587

>>7446584
and as for the why, it's more satisfying to play through challenging platforming than to fuck around a castle grinding for stats, quite simple. No whip is also fucked up

>> No.7446747

>>7444559
I love them both, but I do like SotN clones more. It sucks that there wasn't a single attempt at making another proper, 2D, pixel-art big-screen metroidvania CV.

Just finished CotM. Didn't really enjoy it. Even moving and whipping didn't feel good. Double-tap is shit, and it's crazy how you have to get an artifact to run. You never even need to not run, it's stupid. It's a metroidvania, but it's not CV. I appreciated all-new, original sprites.
The DSS mechanic is interesting, but the drop rates are fucking stupid, and it doesn't belong in a Castlevania game at all. I got really lucky with Fallen Angel, took me around 10 tries, but it took me 64 fucking attempts to get Pluto. It's really retarded, and the candle is a pain to kill. Items are too scarce, there's no shop, but the armor and weapons just keep piling up.
The save and teleport room placement is horrid, you die a bunch of times at the last boss, and you have to move through a room and teleport four times to reach the fucker.
Also, no save point near the arena, which I didn't beat, because of the literal bullshit room.
The last boss is fucking bullshit, I only beat him by summon-dodging his attacks, but it only took me three tries. Can't imagine beating him without summon. It was overall pretty boring. The background art at the castle crumbling scene is beautiful. Aquarius was a nice surprise, and this Vampire Killer sounds very nice. There was also a theme from CVIV and a boss fight theme from CVIII or something.

>> No.7446758

>>7446747
Kinda felt like a chore to complete, but at least it was short.

>> No.7446791

>>7446747
Also, lore-wise, Nathan was too OP. Who the fuck needs Belmonts when you've got this guy?

>> No.7446849

>>7444561
Basically came here to post this.

>> No.7446928

>>7444559
My favorite "castlevania" game is Curse of the Moon because I'm a casual.

>> No.7446940

>>7446928
It looks like a great game, and the blonde has lovely tits

>> No.7447048

>>7444795
Man bloodlines is dope and has the coolest bosses but it took me a while to get into because of the tragic audio.

>> No.7447065
File: 918 KB, 512x288, SOTN.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7446747
>playing with double tap
>grinding cards
Oh shit nigger what are you doing

>> No.7447656

>>7446747
>The save and teleport room placement is horrid, you die a bunch of times at the last boss, and you have to move through a room and teleport four times to reach the fucker.
What, you didn't just use the save room near the center of the Stairway so you could go down some screens to get to the rites room? Granted there's a couple of wind demons by that point and it sounds like you'd hate those fuckers but still. CoTM's map might not be perfect but I would have to say the game's layouts really allow for easy entering and exiting areas and getting back to what's practically the hub. You really shouldn't be having to teleport at all to get to Dracula's room.

>> No.7447681
File: 41 KB, 360x360, Castlevania_CoD_Hector.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444559
I know it's already been said so many times, but yeah, it's perfectly possible to like both, OP.

That said, I prefer classicvanias and metroidvanias that take more influence from them i.e. anything that isn't SoTN, the Sorrow games, or the PS2 games to an extent. I mean I like them but I don't particularly love their subsituting rpg mechanics and rather droll exploration for decent enemy and level design.

Pic related, I'm enjoying it, but I recently realized that for some utterly fucking stupid reason, only Juggernaut battle-types can learn Brute Force lv. 2 and not the rad Liquid Golems they can turn into. That's just fucking stupid and has no place in any game, never mind Castlevania.

>> No.7447739

>>7446747
>and weapons
I meant accessories
>>7447065
Yeah, could've patched that out, but wanted to try it like the devs intended.
>>7447656
Yeah, seems like an easy trip. That was pretty dumb of me.

>> No.7447752
File: 772 KB, 597x600, 597px-Joypad_022_summer1993_CastlevaniaBloodlines.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7447759
File: 959 KB, 793x536, PlayerOne_033_summer1993_Bloodlinesscreenshot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447752
I found both of these screenshots in French magazines from Summer/September 1993.
Part of their cover of the 1993 CES.

Area is unknown, lot's of content I had never seen before.

tl;dr, if you're German, Italian, Spanish, anything other than American (because everyone's already checked american magazines), check your national video game magazines from summer and September 1993 for more potential info and screenshots on this particular build.

>> No.7447761

>>7447739
>That was pretty dumb of me
Eh, you say that, but it's probably pretty easy to end up doing things like that when a game is just not clicking with you, even the movement.

>> No.7447785

>>7446747
Some bosses were more interesting than the usual SotN bullet sponges.
Flaccid dragon bros were a bitch to defeat. Loved their design, and the way they cannibalize when you kill one.
I liked how the enemies were more than just targets, can't just run past them whipping willy-nilly, you need strategy and concentration.

>> No.7447791

>>7447785

Sotn is retarded, but the bosses are much better than the sequels.

in aria for example, bosses cannot attack you in one in the corner of the screen.

>> No.7447793

>>7447739
Not patched, it's just a gameshark code.
>developer intent
anon...
>>7447785
Fuck those dragons. If you kill one and not the other fast enough it will eat his brother and heal up.

>> No.7447794

>>7447761
I think it's a psychological thing, too. Even if it's a couple of rooms, it feels like teleporting is more efficient.

>> No.7447801
File: 530 KB, 493x394, crabcrusher.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447791
>bosses are much better than the sequels
Yeah, maybe when it comes to HoD and AoS. SoTN's boss lineup will always be cool in regards to what monsters you fight, but PoR and OoE will always beat it out when it comes to the actual fight.

>> No.7447802

>>7447681
So are these CV spin off games just par for the course button mashing beat em ups with CV story or are they actually interesting and do they try to implement CV flavour mechanics in them?

>> No.7447803

>>7447793
>developer intent
I'm not always like that, some games I just want to experience the way they are, like the JRPGs I beat with no dash-patching.

>> No.7447841

>>7447802
>CV spin off games
Do you mean all of IGA's games in general or just 2D vs 3D?
>CV flavour mechanics
This too, I figure you're probably asking something about stuff like if they balance the designs of their player characters, enemies, and levels between each other well like the older games, but that's just my assumption.

If that is what you're getting at, then by and large, no, not really, it's pretty much just like I said in my first post; Games like CoTM, PoR, and OoE do at least half decent and you might like those. They actually bother to try and balance out the rpg mechanics with the rest of the game especially with level caps so you don't just rely on your ATK stat. Honorable mention to both HoDissonance, not using even decent equipment can lead to getting two-shotted as you progress. That one really is more about solving the game's mystery and getting the good ending and focusing on a simple Belmont protagonist helps. Also honorable mention of HoDespair now that I think about it, it's funny how that one SoTN level ends up having some of the more difficult platforming and enemies. Still an awful grind, but friends do help alleviate that.

>> No.7447842
File: 2.91 MB, 960x540, 1589379007848.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447803
I'd rather eat bees than play COTM having to double every horizontal input I make. I played half the game that way and I hated it. Glad I looked up a fix because it's a great game otherwise.

>> No.7447857

>>7447842
kek'd at the webm

>> No.7447859

>>7447841
SOTN holds useful items in the second half of the game. If the game is poorly balanced, it's the designers' fault, the items should be accessible from the beginning of the game.

>> No.7447902
File: 166 KB, 647x437, dracmilf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447859
>useful items
Do you mean weapons like shield rod, crissaegrim and Alucard sword? Because I would agree with you if I hadn't beaten the game with dumb shit like basilard or whatever the tiny knife from the start of the game was. SoTN in general is poorly balanced, although
>the items should be accessible from the beginning of the game
this sentence does get me to wondering what the game would have been like if that were the case. Would it indeed be better balanced if it was made with having the stronger stuff from the start in mind? Heck, what's interesting is that CV3Alucard only had fireballs and bat transformation while SoTNAlucard is known for a sword and shield, but can pull off expanded versions of that from the start if you knew the button inputs. What would the game be like if it focused on Alucard the dark magic user rather than Alucard the swordsman?

>> No.7447920

>>7447841
I just meant the non CV64 3D games.
>CV flavour mechanics
I mean is there CV flavour mechanics that differentiate them from other beat em ups. Whether that's RPG or otherwise I don't really care but a beat em up wearing Castlevania's skin is not something i'm generally interested in.
If I sound ignorant or retarded it's because i've zero idea about these games so I apologize.

>> No.7447998

>>7447920
Oh, sorry for the wall of text then.
I mean Lament and Lords of Shadow tend to get compared to Devil May Cry and God of War respectively, if that's what you mean. I haven't played much DMC and haven't touched GoW so I can't really confirm as far as that goes.

If it plays like 2D Castlevania I can say something about, though. They're very much beat em ups, anon. They do incorporate Castlevania mechanics like sub crash, familiars and items powered by magic, but they're tailored to being a beat em up. You even have flat, repetitive copy/paste level design and getting locked into rooms to fight enemies. I'm not sure you'll like it.

Lords of Shadow 1 is more or less an evolution of LoI, though I'm also inclined to describe it as what would happen if something like the NES games and IV were translated into a modern 3D character action game (or beat em up, I guess). That is to say, you travel the countryside, invade a castle and hell on earth in a linear, story-driven game whilst picking up experience points and mobility upgrades to purchase new moves and expand how you interact with the environment and attacks you can do. Seriously, it almost feels like a metroidvania with how that plays out. There's a lot more platforming, but it's more for showing off beautiful views than challenging you. "On-rails" is a good way to describe it, honestly, but it gets better by the second third of the game. Everything gets better once you enter the second third, really.

>> No.7448203
File: 346 KB, 1107x1481, 1604035522264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447998
No worries anon.
>They're very much beat em ups, anon. They do incorporate Castlevania mechanics like sub crash, familiars and items powered by magic, but they're tailored to being a beat em up. You even have flat, repetitive copy/paste level design and getting locked into rooms to fight enemies. I'm not sure you'll like it.
Thanks for being honest, I think you're right. I took a good look at the LoS games as well the other day and i'm fairly certain they aren't for me. I'll probably try LoI at one point or another when I finish the DS games.

>> No.7448219

>>7444559
RPG elements, specifically being able to pick weapons, armor, accessories, let you choose how to deal with the challge. To some extent. So, from a critical POV, I prefer the metroidvanias. It allows me to get my head in the game more. The problem with the metroidvanias is they lose the simplicity of the other games. Actually, I'd argue SoTN, as much as I love it, doesn't feel like a CV game.

My biggest problem with regular CV games is I can't stand the slow movement. I was really disappointed to learn Richter's moveset in SotN isn't really in other CV games. Damn, at least give me the slide.

>> No.7448318

>>7444561
fpbp

>> No.7448473
File: 140 KB, 248x294, walter_was_behind_this_post.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7448203
>I'll probably try LoI at one point or another when I finish the DS games.
I was actually talking about the PS2 games specifically in that second paragraph, but I fucked up and forgot to say so. Still, if you end up liking the DS games, then LoI is more or less up your alley anyway. It and CoD arguably gave IGA and co time to polish their game design leading up to/during the DS trilogy and I think it shows a little. And as pointless as he was in the grand scheme of things, I'll always love hammy and egotistical Walter.

>> No.7448653

>>7444559
SotN execution makes it pretty damn worthless to play through. Limitations truly forced devs to produce good stuff.

>> No.7448716

>>7448653
Limitation ? What the fuck are you talking about. That game was one of the most advanced titles of its time.

It was an AAA game

>> No.7448729

>>7444559
I enjoy the original the most but I enjoy the RPG "series" more because the classic games peaked really early while there are more good RPG Castlevanias even if SoTN was really basic.

>> No.7448862

>>7448716
I think that anon meant that the classic games benefited from the limitations of the NES and the like, not that SoTN was hampered by limitations. If anything, having more leeway for things on PSX might've encouraged the development team to get carried away with stuffing the game with so much, well, stuff instead of tightening what they had. That's what I think that anon is saying anyway.

>> No.7448892

>>7446747
Like Dragon's Dogma vs Monster Hunter I feel it's the leveling that fucks it over. Progression though collecting loot to make items is one thing, progression where you automatically get more powerful any time you kill something changes things dramatically. With DD I had to heavily game things to get it to give me a challenge I found fun and even then I out leveled it far too fast. With MH I van always take a comedy set and have more challenge but still decent rewards. XP gain is the real villain.

>> No.7449029
File: 155 KB, 268x368, zeadmothafucka.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7448892
>Progression though collecting loot to make items is one thing
>XP gain is the real villain
You know, you might get something out Curse of Darkness and the DS games. Curse actually has crafting and even has a steal mechanic where you lock on to an enemy and find the one particular opening in their pattern to steal a particular item off of them like parrying a Skeleton Blaze's kick flip so you have a split second to steal before they're knocked out of your reach. Course, CoD still has a leveling system for you and your familiars, but it is better balanced than many of the IGAvanias before it, it that means anything. Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia flat out have level cap hard modes, including lv. 1. You'll get two-shotted to death but the movement options you have like backdash cancel along with rpg stuff like stoning/petrifying enemies actually have use now. You can even combine it with Richter mode where you only have fast movement and a handful of elemental attacks to juggle to beat the game, seriously one of the best gaming experiences I've had to this day.

>> No.7449039

>>7447759
>>7447752
are these levels not in any of the existing prototype builds that are available/documented?

>> No.7449041

>>7449029

It was the best invention of ps2 games.

The ability to steal, removed much of the rng that plagued portable titles.

>> No.7449082
File: 13 KB, 320x212, CV_dead_fencer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7449041
I think stolen items actually tend to be different from drops. These dead fencer dudes had one type of vein they only dropped and another that could only be stolen. Still, playing it now and it is a fun and useful mechanic. It's too bad only OoE really did anything to bring it to the 2D games and in limited cases as well, but it was something and it's not like you were utterly screwed out of useful glyphs and what not. You get Vol Secare from a set statue and Melio Secare as a rare enemy drop, for example. You don't need it even for hard mode, but it is great if you get it.

>> No.7449118

I like the classicvania formula, but i never finished one because of my lack of skill

>> No.7449157

>>7449118
>lack of skill
It only gets better with time, anon. You'll get the win one of these days.

>> No.7449218

Post-2000 Castlevania is pig disgusting.

>> No.7449248
File: 304 KB, 356x471, both.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444559

>> No.7449272

>>7449218
Post-4th gen*
ftfy bro

>> No.7449289

rondo and bloodlines were peak castlevania

>> No.7449619

>>7449039
I searched and nope, didn't find them anywhere; but make sure to search yourself also

>> No.7449721

replaying through all of them again I can't believe how bad rondo is. richter plays so much worse then SC4 simon and john and the level design is so flat and uninspired. Dracula X is so much better and I wish I didn't overlook it because of its rep3

>> No.7449739
File: 2.86 MB, 768x672, redaxearmor3.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7449721
Yet, Rondo is very unfinished, it feels like a beta, which is really obvious in some levels where the background are just the same bricks repeated over and over and the level design is super flat.

If you check some early screenshots you'll see that some other stages used to have that similar "all bricks" backgrounds, but ended up being more detailed for the final release. Yet, not all stages had that treatment, which shows it wasn't as finished as they would have wished.

DX is really fucking tight though. It may have a bit less content, but at least said content is polished.

>> No.7449926

>>7449721
The level design of DX takes such a nosedive after block 2 it isn't funny.

It's the game whish started it all for me, but you can't deny the Bloody Tears and Cave stage being sloppy copy paste work. The former consists out of floating blocks and sports the infamous knockdown pits which leads to the least enjoyable area of the game.

It desperately needed a good level designer, but got this mario maker tier levels.
Not to mention the fight against Dracula which could send you back to square one after a single knock back.
Like it or love it, but it is a sloppily made entry.

>> No.7449934
File: 2.27 MB, 768x672, glitchcut.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7449926
The backgrounds in 4' could be a little more varied but other than that the only thing I really don't like is the scroll with the Flea Men in the cave, that one is a real fuck you. I was attempt no-hits run (my record was getting hit 2-3 times throughout the entire game, both routes) and that single scroll made such attempt a lot harder when going for the bad ending than when going for the good ending, I'd rather face Death on the good ending route than face the Flea Men on the bad ending route.

>> No.7450214

>>7449619
no luck either. It's quite interesting as the proto with the most info available is from August of 1993, maybe the CES screenshots are from a build even earlier than the known ones
http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/2/bl-beta.htm
http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/PP/CVB/1.html

>> No.7450245

>>7450214
I found another magazine that says on the cover that it talks about the 1993 CES... but it's the only issue of said magazine that hasn't been ripped online

>> No.7450971

>>7444559

>Be me
>8 y/o
>Playing castlevania harmony of dissonance
>Hit zombie
>Drops armor
>WTF I CAN GET ITEMS FROM ENEMIES?
>Fall in love

>> No.7451825

>>7444559
Original. Fuck that gay backtracking shit. Only trannies love that shit. I ain't no tranny. I'm a chad that whips shit wit my dick. Ain't got time for no backtracking. Only thing I'll be backtracking is your mom's pussy. Also, Alucard is confirmed to be a fag bottom in the anime series. Even more reason to hate Tranny of the Night.

>> No.7451918

>>7444559
yes
>Why?
because

>> No.7451995
File: 21 KB, 175x212, danasty_grant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7451825
Doesn't...
Doesn't the clock tower in 3 have you backtrack up and down?

>> No.7452004

>>7451995
>going to the clock tower
>not doing Solo Trevor runs
What are you, some kinda filthy casual

>> No.7452021

>>7452004
>implying Grant "you killed my family now prepare to blow me" DaNasty is a fucking casual

>> No.7452034
File: 238 KB, 350x436, retrocard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7452004
>doing a Solo Trevor run
>instead of a Solo Alucard Hard Mode run
Brave words coming from a total puss.

>> No.7452042

the first games are "neater" and probably better paced but there's an aesthetic experience to be had with sotn. it definitely feels more expansive and engrossing

>> No.7452048
File: 56 KB, 1280x720, Me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7452034
>Playing all modes because you have no life

>> No.7452063

>>7452034
Pretty sure Trevor is harder, Alucard can cheese level design with bat form which is the hardest part about Classicvania.

>> No.7452107

>>7452063
Hard disagree, classicvania level design by itself really ain't shit most of the time, it's having to navigate it with asshole enemies, who also wouldn't shit without the level design, that make it hard. Trevor is well equipped enough to handle it alone, having range, power, and stamina. Alucard may have bat form, but it eats through hearts like hell, and that's on top of shit like having to upgrading his fireballs that hit like a measly knife and not being able to attack on stairs for who the hell knows why. Sure, it isn't all shit given you can use bat form while hit to escape pits and can even time the transition to avoid hits entirely, but it just isn't the all-around tool kit like Trevor has. Also come to think of it, I half-lied, I had to use Trevor to finish the second part of the final fight because Al can't hit the center head.

>> No.7453414
File: 6 KB, 256x232, Akumajou Densetsu (Japan)-8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

meanwhile, you can just sit a corner spam balls with Sypha.

Through the entire game.

>> No.7453418
File: 547 KB, 1280x1655, Electronic Gaming Monthly 057 - 003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Belmont
>Eric
>John

what did they mean by this?

>> No.7454056

>>7453418
Would it be out of the question that John and Eric were allowed burial in the Belmont family plot?

>> No.7454636

>>7450214
>>7449039
>>7447759
>>7447752
If anyone has Game Informer #011, July/August 1993; please check. There is apparently 7 pages of screenshots from the CES there.

I have failed to find a scan online.

>> No.7455039

>>7454056
Not at all. The Lecarde clan is related to the Belmont clan via Blood, and the Morris clan is an "offshoot" of the Belmonts. I think they'd be ok with it.

>> No.7455083

>>7449926
Dracula X making you beat Dullahan with the key, and then go through another stage without the subweapon without dying was so stupid.
"Mario maker tier levels" is a good descriptor for it. The game's got good visuals and sound design, but damn these stages are unpolished.

>> No.7455127

>launch HoD for the first time
>"weird, is something wrong with my rom?"
>enter the most kino gba title screen
Just completed it, my index fingers are jacked from 8 hours of dashing
Nice game, the castle layer thing is a bit annoying

>> No.7455172
File: 2.13 MB, 640x360, spearknightkey.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7455083
Dullahan is one of the easiest bosses in the game, the easiest behind the minotaur if you know the knife trick. also you gotta learn to use that damn key

>> No.7455175
File: 2.80 MB, 768x672, key (2).webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7455172
>>7455083

>> No.7455197

>>7455172
>>7455175
based DX autist

>> No.7455370

>>7455127
Why the fuck (and how) is he even dragging furniture from the deepest corners of this hell castle to a specific room, no less, when his (girl)friend is kept prisoner in this demon-infested maze? Tables, chairs, a tall clock, a bed, statues, a closet, etc. It's all pointless, too, he knows the castle will crumble. Is he fucking insane?

>> No.7455492
File: 291 KB, 459x1474, Draculascastle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7455496

>>7455370
it's dumb but it contributes to the eerie feeling of the game imo

as to why, iirc it helps to get the best ending

>> No.7455657

>>7455496
The compressed sound and oddly bright colors really did make the game eerie.
I loved the OST, Juste's theme is great.

>> No.7455726

>>7446567
>>7444642
Explain this meme

>> No.7455748

>>7444602
>mandatorial

>> No.7455764

>>7455726
I think it means 4 is as easy as a Mario game, since 4 is the easiest LinearActionvania.

>> No.7455765

>>7455764
mario games are not easy, but cviv is

>> No.7457549

>>7454636
bump for this, check your magazine collections dear CV fans

>> No.7457604

>>7444561
fpbp
how do they always do it?

>> No.7459678
File: 193 KB, 420x400, wtf-am-i-reading.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7455765
>mario games are not easy

>> No.7459690

>>7444584
no way. every single GBA and DS game are good.

>> No.7459693

>>7459690
No

>> No.7459707

>>7459690
>DS
no

>> No.7459840

>>7459707
Dawn of Sorrow's extra mode is solid. Portrait of Ruin is great over all except for a little too much cut and paste. Order of Ecclesiastia is weak though.

>> No.7461239

>>7459678
They're challenging to me, can't just breeze through them.
Now Ninja Gaiden, that's a hard fucking game.

>> No.7462317

>>7455765
Try beating stage 8 of CV4 without losing your mind.

>> No.7462328

>>7462317
calm down lovecraft it's just a bridge

>> No.7462418

>>7444559
Both. Classicvania is better overall though.

>> No.7462458

>>7462328
I didnt realize you could crouch under the spikes but the bridge is just fucked and most of the time I end up wiping before then because I looked at a spike

>> No.7463083

>>7459693
>>7459707
yes

>> No.7463151

>>7444559
Which is the best to start with, from a beginner's stand?

>> No.7463262

get the anniversary collection. It has save state if it gets too hard. You can also do this on the wii U with the gba games.

>> No.7463314

>>7463151
>Classicvania
Haunted Castle for Arcade.
>IGAvania
Circle of the Moon for Gameboy Advanced.

>> No.7463319

>>7446747
Didn't beat the Arena. Got filtered multiple times by Dracula.
Are you a child anon?

>> No.7463326

>>7463151
Castlevania Legends on game boy, Harmony of Dissonance on GBA, and Dracula X on SNES are all good starting points.

>> No.7463334
File: 23 KB, 475x361, 1375425392204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7459690
>Contrarian of the Moon
>Harmony of Easy of Mode
>Dawn of Gimmicks
>good

>> No.7463428

>>7463151
I, III for NES
Super Castlevania for SNES
If you liked these, play the rest of the 16-bit games, they're all good.
Rondo of Blood (Symphony is kind of a sequel of this)
Symphony of the Night for PS1

>> No.7463446

>>7463151
play all the 2d they all have good qualities about them

>> No.7463447
File: 909 KB, 850x1181, CV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444561
fpbp.
Both have their postives and negatives but can be enjoyable CV games either way.

>> No.7464191
File: 108 KB, 612x762, Weekly Famitsu - No. 159 January 3rd 1992_0151.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>he didn't listen to the official OST of CV4 on CD in 1992

pleb

>> No.7464485

I'm personally more fond of the classic style over SoTN. I like the linearity. My favorite one's a tie between 3 and Bloodlines.

>> No.7464634
File: 393 KB, 749x746, super-castlevania-iv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

spooky jungle beats, so cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVN8CA-Ufkk

>> No.7465030

>>7444559
Metroidvania >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Originals >>>>>>>> new shit that it's neither

>> No.7466571
File: 35 KB, 700x300, best-and-worst-castlevania-games.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ywn have taste in CV games this good

>> No.7466592

>>7444561
Im sorry bros but I cant play castlevania without savestates.

>> No.7467052
File: 10 KB, 110x137, nogger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7466571
>SCV IV
>"worst" category

>> No.7468636

>>7444561
Same here

>> No.7468648

>>7467052
Classicvanias pride themselves on their difficulty, it's the entire foundation of those games, so the easiest one is the shittiest one by default.

>> No.7468664
File: 90 KB, 600x550, jojo liar taste.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7463326

>> No.7469605

>>7468648
It's the hardest to speedrun. Because of all the small optimizations it allows. Playing casually with no goal besides "me see the end" doesn't mean much for challenge. People who play for challenge play with goals beyond default seeing the ending while spamming continues.
So your post shows you're an amateur at games, also difficulty isn't enough on its own to equate to quality by itself, what a silly poser thing to say.

>> No.7469625

>>7468648
It has a hard mode ya know

>> No.7469636

>>7444795
HoD is IV.

>> No.7469643

>>7448473
Based

>> No.7469954

>>7469636
IGAshit isn't canon, only Akamatsu's Castlevanias are.

>> No.7470075

>>7468648
IV has a hardmode, which makes it as difficult as other classics.

>> No.7470104

>>7469954
Wrong n your opinion don’t matter

>> No.7470135

>>7470075
Not as hard as 1, 3, X68k, Haunted Castle or Bloodlines' expert mode.

>> No.7470143

>>7444559
A metroid style exploration game does not benefit from overly complex RPG stats. Fuck this game.

>> No.7470161 [DELETED] 

>>7470143
It's metroid, but now with numbers on the screen for no reason. Wow so good, great job Kojima!

>> No.7470164
File: 153 KB, 270x236, damage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7470143
It's metroid, but now with numbers on the screen for no reason. Wow so good, great job Kojima!

>> No.7470230

>>7470135
yet better than all of those minus bloodlines

>> No.7470231

>>7470104
Ok IGAcuck.

>> No.7470530

>>7469605
What about playing it because the music is great and the game is fun

>> No.7470541
File: 44 KB, 486x510, full time gaming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7470530
>playing for fun

>> No.7470582
File: 1.40 MB, 696x1049, 5A793F0E-A3CB-4F83-A662-AD5900D35AB5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7444559
Originals.
Love super and the original
Bloodlines is aight.
Not too into Simon’s Quest
Castlevania 3 is for masochists

Currently getting filtered in Rondo.
Speaking of Rondo, is there a solid sub weapon to stick by?

>> No.7470640

>>7470582
Rondo is the easiest.

The bible breaks the game.

>> No.7471047

>>7470640
Then don't use it, scrub.

>> No.7471496

>>7444559
I've always been a bigger fan of the RPGy ones. Mostly because I enjoy the exploration aspect and the more casual pace and gameplay of the games since I was never a huge fan of the arcade style retro ones (or whatever you call it).
I did like Rondo of Blood though.

>> No.7471524

>>7470231
Keep wanking Classicfag

>> No.7471865

>>7444559
>lets continue making the same stupid clunky side-scroller game for the rest of our lives.
of course i enjoy SOTN. the right direction for the franchise

>> No.7471904

>>7470640
>easiest
How? Super castlevania is definitely easier

>> No.7472629

>>7470541
is that aquas?

>> No.7473821

Idk because I actually just started playing through the series in release order. So far I’ve been 1,2, Adventure, and almost done with 3. I can not beat level 7 with the falling blocks. It’s so so and tedious that it’s a chore to retry.

>> No.7473854
File: 26 KB, 300x400, simon-belmont2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7471865
You will never be a chad.

>> No.7473856

>>7473821
If 3 ends up being too hard for you play the Japanese version, they butchered the American release so you couldn't beat it with a weekend rental.

>> No.7473873

>>7473856
I’m trying very hard to just beat this version. I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I gave up. I almost opted to play the Japanese version due to the incredible music. But I made my bed and now I must lay in it.

>> No.7473895

>>7473873
>I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I gave up
Don't worry about it, you're playing the equivalent of a lazy shitty hardmode romhack, not the original developers intended vision. No shame in switching to Japanese version as it is the true Castlevania 3. Beat it and if you really like it then play the US version as a bonus.