[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 225 KB, 800x764, 1356699130029.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
743102 No.743102 [Reply] [Original]

What's /vr/'s general consensus on retro game resellers?

>> No.743121

So long as I have the opinion of shopping around, I really don't care how those guys make their money. It's not like I can't emulate nearly any /vr/ I want.

>> No.743138

>consensus
stop that.
I would say however, in my experience, its a catch 22. Most retro sellers I've met try to gouge you, and I've yet to meet one that sells -below- ebay prices. However, they are pretty good at stocking rare games (probably because of the price), know what they're talking about (why its so high) and can cut you a few deals here or there by -their- priceguides. I remember one decent guy who got me a great condition skies of arcadia with decent copies of Twin Snakes and Panzer Dragoon for less than $50, and when my Secret of Mana save didn't work, he exchanged a fresher copy at no charge or hassle. However, trying to get a retro game store to be REASONABLE about prices is just insane, I bought DragonForce a few weeks back and paid an extra $20 than I should have, and only felt marginally good about it because the guy's asking price was $50 more than it was worth.

>> No.743148

You're paying a premium for the convenience of not having to shop for specific deals.

It isn't jewing if they are offering a service. You could use ebay, after all.

>> No.743170

>>743148

They don't offer anyone a service. They get up at 5AM to buy all the games from my local garage sales so they can sell them for triple what they paid.

>> No.743285

>>743170
This.

There are two video game shops in my area. I'm convinced that they're out every weekend trying to buy up games from every yard sale in the tri-state. Hell, I even see the owner's son posting on Facebook groups trying to buy games from people.

>> No.743306
File: 40 KB, 460x500, 1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>/vr/ shitting all over free-market capitalism

>> No.743317

Get a good relationship and rapport going with them, OP. You'll be surprised how quickly they'll offer you deals if you shop regularly. Still hit the flea markets and yard sales. You'll see them there trying to get deals themselves.

When I was doing this during my college days, I was able to get all the SNES games I wanted in no time. Sure, some were expensive as fuck, but how much do you want them? Since I was a regular customer, they were willing to cut the price in half sometimes in order to keep a loyal customer.

If you're looking for a certain game, they'll keep a lookout for it for you. There was an SNES game I really wanted from my childhood. However, anytime it came it, it sold very very quickly. Not to mention, it was a very rare game. Next time they got a copy of it, they hid it in the backroom for the next time I came in.

Since I was also into anime at the time, they also kept a bunch of anime DVD's and VHS around for me to buy up for cheap. They would've sold the DVD's regularly for $9 each (with VHS's at $4, but discounted it for me down to $5 ($1 for VHS's)since I was shopping regularly.

>> No.743340

>>743306

Free-market capitalism is about getting paid for providing a service. Reselling provides no service.

>> No.743353
File: 51 KB, 814x500, tljncfom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743340

>> No.743363

>>743353

Do you actually think capitalism is about making money in any way possible?

>> No.743368

>>743340

This is true. My father owns a hydraulic cylinder company. He sells directly to customers and he also sells to companies who simply rebrand the cylinder his company makes and then sells it for higher. He says he doesn't care if they're resellers because their money is just as good as anyone else's, and that their customers are his customers by extension. Essentially all they've done is make him more money even though they don't do jack shit. It's different from selling games privately of course, but the idea that resellers do little is consistent across most markets

>> No.743574

>>743170
Then get up at 4:30 - otherwise, you've gotten out-capitalisted.

They (and I) get up at 5:00 because that's what I do. I sell them for 3x (or more) than I paid because that's what the market will bear, and all the 4Chan autists in the world ain't gonna change it.

>> No.743580

>>743363
Do you actually think anyone gives a shit about your opinions on economic systems when you say ignorant shit like that?