[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 242 KB, 1024x768, secret-of-mana[2].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
740474 No.740474 [Reply] [Original]

SoM Vs. SoE... which is best.. give pros and cons... Why is soe better than som? Settle it once and for all...

>> No.740475

>SoM
>get to travel with a harem

>SoE
>travel with some mutt

>> No.740506

>>740475
>get to travel with a harem
>one guy and one girl is a harem
SoE is better. Better graphics, better world, better magic system.
SoM is pretty good too, though.

>> No.740510

>>740475

Hey, fuck you pal that mutt turns into a toaster that shoots fucking lasers

and one guy and one girl doesn't make a harem.

>> No.740515

>>740474
Secret of Mana is clearly better than Secret of Evermore even if only for its multiplayer, which is the most important point in SoM.

As for 1p, I guess it's pretty subjective, even though I would say that Secret of Evermore had what >>740506 says, making it possibly better. Especially for the magic system.

>> No.740532

>>740474
I also think that SoM has got a better OST.

>> No.740542

>>740506
Evermore starts off better, then gets worse as it goes.

>> No.740571
File: 184 KB, 429x776, cover_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

SD3 is better than both of them, especially with the 3 player patch. inb4 someone blames SoE for us not getting SD3

>> No.740585

SD3 is pretty damn great. I have never tested the 3 player patch though.

>> No.740592

Neither. They both accomplish different things using what is basically the same engine (though Secret of Evermore uses a more updated version). They're both great games, and shouldn't be compared side by side. I love both games for their own merits.

Why do you type... like... an angsty teenager... who thinks that abusing... ellipses... makes you sound... cool?

>> No.740591

>>740585
It's nice having that third player. The patched rom even works on actual hardware if you have a reproduction cart, EverDrive, or SD2SNES.

>> No.740602

>>740571

It was Square's fault. They decided it was better to sell an americanized Action RPG than port the sequel. Hell, Square USA had originally planned to SoE simply as "Evermore".

>> No.740629

>>740602
Stop spreading this lie, it's older than >Saging with an image

>> No.740631

>>740602
No. The team that made SoE was a new team formed just for making that game, and didn't include anybody who worked on translating games. Evermore isn't the reason why SD3 didn't make it over.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/04/interview_with_brian_fehdrau_secret_of_evermore

>> No.740863

>>740629
>>740631
>denying the undeniable truth

>> No.741130

>>740510
>and one guy and one girl doesn't make a harem

the sprite is female in some versions of the game. I, for one, prefer it that way.

>> No.742248

>>740571
>SD3 is better than both of them

Frankly, it's not. The battle system is so clunky it might as well be turn-based and the story falls apart when you reach Wendell. The characters are also extremely unbalanced, with Kevin being able to practically solo everything blindfold. It looks prettier, but that's it.

>> No.742253

>>741130
>I'd fuck a little boy if some country said little boys are actually little girls!

>> No.742261
File: 182 KB, 1024x448, 1364835939358.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

SoE has better writing.

>> No.742268

>>740863
Really, they simply ran out of time. Some magazines even estimated an US date relase and called it Mana 2.

>> No.742397

>SoM
Greater selection of weapons.
Fantastic soundtrack.
Less frustrating - no bullshit labyrinths, no enemies that toss you back half a screen (Okay, may be slightly exaggerating here. Doesn't make the tiny dragons in Gotica or the flying skulls any less frustrating - they're not a THREAT, but they slow you down forever wherever they are).

Ludicrously broken magic system.
Ludicrously broken difficulty curve. Once you've access to your first magic, it is basically impossible to die.
A greater selection of weapons, sure but you only need (And do) use the sword, axe, whip and lance, anyway (Okay, and the bow, for precisely ONE BOSS). And of these, the whip is gimmicky.

>SoE
Vastly more engaging magic system. Vastly less broken magic system, too.
Infinitely better pathfinding AI.
Fantastic ambient music (Yes, I like both games' soundtracks equally, for different reasons).
Vastly superior art.
The protagonist's tendency to break the fourth wall nonwithstanding, incredibly immersive. You identify and feel with him a lot more than in SoM.
More sensible difficulty curve than SoM (Still not a GOOD difficulty curve, as the bosses in particular still become easier as the game goes on, but it's somewhat less broken than SoMs).
Speaking of which, overall higher difficulty. Sometimes forced (Labyrinth section, see below), but still.

Terrible, terrible dog-only labyrinth section in Gothica. Pretty damn close to game-ruining.
Non-threat enemies that are nonetheless incredibly frustrating (See SoM positives).

>> No.742401

>>742397
>Both
Incredibly boring final bosses, though I suppose that SoEs whole 'Final Sequence' was somewhat better. Ultimately however - in SoM it's just repetition and being unable to do anything for 90% of the fight, and in SoE you cast Aura and Bazooka/ Doggie the 'bot to death. Both are shit.

>Overall
Both are great games. Evermore has the greater potential, a lot of its ideas just left SoM in the dust. But on its tight schedule, with a new team, it ended up far less polished than SoM, having frustrating sections that simply didn't need to be such.

SoM is, in a way, much less ambitious than SoE. It's... 'Generic', a fantasy bubble afraid to get down and dirty in the way SoE did it. Yet, this limit in scope also helped it in becoming the polished end product it ended up being.

Personally, I prefer SoE, it's genuinely alive world that isn't just a pretty fantasy bubble, but a world with sewers and swamps and dirt. The game has weaknesses SoM doesn't have - but its strengths push it beyond SoM. This does not, however, mean that people who prefer SoM are wrong - it's simply different tastes. From a neutral PoV - both games are great while, despite all the superficial similarities between them, also being different.