[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 107 KB, 848x900, 1345765088565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
737779 No.737779 [Reply] [Original]

Is it me or does it seem like retro games are starting to drastically rise in price? About a year and a half ago I started collecting games. Most of them I found at yard sales/flea markets/etc. or bulk auctions on Ebay and Shopgoodwill. As of lately I've had no luck with finding games anywhere. Online prices for individual games are starting to become very pricey so I like to get a good deal whenever I'm short on cash.

Yard sales in my area have recently been a bust as well. I used to find amazing deals but now I'm literally finding nothing. Flea markets aren't too good either because they're a hot spot for resellers who like to swipe them clean.

>> No.737801
File: 11 KB, 214x250, 1340701357517s[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A video game shop at a flea market I go to wanted 80 fucking dollars for a Game Gear with a carrying case and 2 crappy games. I could easily buy the same thing on Ebay for under $20.

I really have no idea why resellers come up with these inane prices. Maybe because hipsters will fork up the cash for them because they're SO RETRO

>> No.737827

You want a collection then you pay the price.

I wonder if there is a correlation with /vr/'s creation recently...

>> No.737835

>>737827
Its totally possible.

I think it also has to do with the (kind of) recent idea of starting collections. If nobody wanted to have a collection then there would be retro games lying all over the place.

>> No.737842

at a convention I went to at the weekend super metroid carts were going for £45 each

I thought super metroid carts were one of the most common ones, I mean I have 4 of them at home for crying out loud, where's this sudden spike in value come from

>> No.737853

Let me ask you two, are you only going for SNES games and PS1 JRPG's?

>> No.737879
File: 666 KB, 1600x927, img_2150[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Learn Japanese
>Travel to Japan
>Swim in the used games and the GOAT used game shops

>> No.737975

>>737879
>don't learn Japanese
>travel to Japan
>drown in used games anyway
Don't tell me what to do you're not my mom

>> No.737986

>>737975
If you're buying text heavy games it's kind of a must.

>> No.738015

>>737801
Actually that's exactly why. When you have stupid uneducated people willing to spend money on something just to have it, why not see just how much money they'll spend to have it?

That said, it's primarily affecting SNES right now because every other faggot who plays video games is out to get an SNES and Super Mario World because "MUH CHILDHOOD".

>> No.738039
File: 34 KB, 500x273, Last-Temptation-of-Christ-1988-Willem-Dafoe-Harvey-Keitel-pic-7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>still keep many games and consoles from my childhood and teen years (including a pristine Sega Saturn)
>started collecting seriously back in 2002 (good god was it a great time to collect anything in the 8 bit-64 bit range, nobody cared about them, everyone was either into the new stuff mainly PS2, or older retro games like Atari or Coleco.)
>haven't bought anything retro-related in the past few years except for a couple deals I found randomly

The key here is waiting, OP.
Back in 2003, most serious retro collectors were into Atari and Coleco. Saturn and other Jap games collectors existed but they were a LOT fewer than the amount there is today.
Right now, most people who grew up on 8, 16 and 32/64 bit consoles are adults and want to spend their well earned money into their nostalgia. Just let them, they are the ones paying 200, 300 for a SNES cart when they costed no more than 30, 40 top 10 years ago.
Once their nostalgia or recent interest into collecting fades away, all the games will be back to being reasonably priced. The same happened with Atari and Coleco, back then people asked much more than what they ask today because their nostalgia reigned them. Now most of them are older, already passed through the nostalgia/collecting phase and only the most hardcore and serious collectors remain, and prices are back to normal.

The key here is patience, OP. And the question is if you are still going to be interested in collecting old games when you're over 35.

>> No.738054

>>737879
>buying anything from Super Potato
>

>> No.738968

>>737842

It's been around $40 here in America for at least 10 years.