[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 312 KB, 589x392, Darknuckle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7364636 No.7364636 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any meaningful difference between a Darknut and an Iron Knuckle, or are they just translations of the same thing? I've heard that Darknut might be a mistranslation of Dark Knight, but I can't confirm that for sure.

>> No.7364664
File: 6 KB, 134x90, cuntrat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364636
Darknuts in Japan are called Tartnucs while Iron Knuckles are known as Ironknacks.

It seems Darknuts are usually dwelling dungeons whose alliance lies with either Ganon or whoever created the dungeon, they might be just moving knight suits or created entirely by magic.

On the other hand, Iron Knuckles are actual knights whose lifespan and ability was enhanced through magical means, the ancient King of Hyrule set them in the palaces to test the ability of anyone daring to claim the Triforce of Courage, led by their superiors Rebonack and Jermafencer, it would seem.

Adding to this "knights/people augmented by magic" is the Ocarina Iron Knuckles who are Gerudo women brainwashed into absolute obedience.
From a gameplay perspective, it seems Darknuts are better guarded, than Iron Knuckles.

>> No.7364675
File: 86 KB, 850x602, muda.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364636
Their japanese names end in the same word (Tatonakku and Aian Nakku) so they're the same "family" of enemies. But the darknuts in WW work basically like iron knuckles in the previous 3D Zeldas, so they're somewhat indistinct by now (they are flesh-and-bone knights in WW btw >>7364664)

I'll get zoomer'd down to death, but I love the multi-darknut battles in Wind Waker; that shit could get really epic.

>> No.7364682

>>7364664
Ah so it's mostly lore reasons. Seems to be a strange distinction for Nintendo of all companies to make
>>7364675
Yeah I thought those were pretty fun. That game isn't half bad

>> No.7364695

>>7364675
>>7364682
Darknuts in general seem to fall into the Demon Clan, what we have known in the west as Ganon's followers, the ones in Wind Waker seem to support this, while Iron Knuckles seem to have all been humans at one point. I liked how the Valiant Zelda comic played with this concept and had an Iron Knuckle take off his helmet to talk to Link. It was a neat touch, Valiant Nintendo comics are quite under rated imo.

But I agree, it is a strange thing Nintendo, of all companies, decided to do it for lore reasons. Probably the scenario writers did it since it didn't interfere with Miyamoto's "gameplay first" mentality in any way.

>> No.7364719
File: 126 KB, 395x293, YOLO.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For me, it's Rebonack. He leverages the most fearsome tactic in the game: abusing horizontal sprite visualization limit

>> No.7364726

>>7364719
Fuck you and your sci fi hover horse motorcycle, Rebonack.

Shouldn't his name be Rebo Knuckle?

>> No.7364735
File: 12 KB, 96x144, ALttP Soldier.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So if Iron Knuckles are possessed/magically warped soldiers, does that mean that pic related could count as an Iron Knuckle?

>>7364719
That boss was pretty sweet. Zelda II has some pretty sweet enemies. Say what you will about the game's quality (though personally I love it), it has some crazy and memorable bosses. I'll always remember horsehead or that guy more than I remember that weird fucking disk with the eye in the middle from Zelda 1

>> No.7364750

>>7364735
Officially, these enemies are called Soldiers. Japan never reffered to them as anything other than royal knights in some unofficial guide books as far as I know, but since they're under the control of Agahnim/Ganondorf the same way Gerudo are in Ocarina, I do believe they count as Iron Knuckles.

>> No.7364754

>>7364750
>>7364735
I mean, officially in English materials.

>> No.7364762

>>7364735
>>7364719
I think a lot of zelda 2's setting has a lot of novelty purely because all the temples were constructions of the royal family and the bosses were trials, not typical ganon made monsters.

>> No.7364787
File: 37 KB, 330x143, 0ed7c362aa1fa4a947ae6c9330776f7d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364762
I don't want this to become a Zelda 2 circlejerk thread, or even worse a Zelda 2 debate thread, but yeah it has a pretty interesting concept. I think that's where they started thinking of the series continuity and lore, having the City names foreshadow some of the sages and characters they later used in OoT. It's up to you weather they actually thought that far ahead or not. It does make me wonder, though, who the fuck is Kasuto?

>> No.7364808

I don't know. I think a lot of the games kind of muddy the water about any differences. Like Darknuts are usually implied to be animated armor, except for in Wind Waker, where they're doberman monsters. And both WW and TP'S Darknuts have the "shed armor" trait that was created for OOT's Iron Knuckles.

I guess if you had to make a Zelda with both enemies, it wouldn't be too terribly hard to differentiate the two in some ways.
For example
>Darknuts
Soldiers in heavy armor. Vulnerable only from the back and immune to arrows and stuns. Only carry shortswords and shields. They move at a surprisingly brisk pace and can easily overwhelm Link. These usually only appear as bosses or mini-bosses.
>Iron Knuckles
Also heavily armored soldiers, but these guys are vulnerable from all angles. They carry Spears and Two-Handed weapons like greatswords and axes. As they take damage, their armor will fall off causing them begin moving much faster. These are bit more common and a little weaker. Then compared to Iron Knuckes their armor also looks more eastern or tribal, Darknuts looking more like standard Medieval Knights of Yore.

>> No.7364815
File: 8 KB, 480x360, you-can-hear-this-image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364762
>The plot is about preventing the bad guy's resurrection
>You DO prevent the bad guy's resurrection

That was pretty mind-fucking

>> No.7364835

>>7364808
I personally chalked up the doberman knuckles as being a callback to the bulldog moblins from the first few games

The main reason I wondered if they were just the same thing with different names is because they, to my knowledge, have never appeared together, and the mechanical differences could be simply because they appear in different games.

>>7364815
Kek. They could have easily gone down the route where you fail and have to fight Ganon in a last ditch effort, and I'm glad that's not where they went with it. Younger me was still convinced that he was in the game somewhere, though.

>> No.7364836

>>7364735
I think in addition to being a brainwashed person, being equipped as a ‘heavy’ with certain gear is a requirement. They’ve always seemed like their own class.

Who knows if the brainwashed part is even a requirement.

>>7364787
Nintendo devs when making oot:
>lets name the sages in this game after the towns in zelda 2, to make it seem like the towns were named after the sages
>thats a cool idea
>lets leave one of them out so people will agonize over the mystery
>thats cool too

>> No.7364854

>>7364836
Lmao. It's especially cool after the recent reveal that Mido may have been intended to be the forest sage, but there's already a 64 beta thread to discuss that. It was always weird to me that Mido got a town despite not being a Sage. Does make you wonder if they planned on having a Sage named Kasuto at some point. weird that they've never revisited or mentioned that name again to my knowledge.

>> No.7364858

>>7364735
Alttp's soldiers drift too far into cannon-fodder territory for ke to ever associate them with iron knuckles or darknuts, the former two generally being the most "fuck your shit up" enemies in the franchise, alongside Blue Wizzrobes, Lynels and Oot's Stalfos Knights.

>> No.7364879
File: 80 KB, 262x370, EL MORENAZO September 1997.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364787
I like to think Kasuto might have been this nigga if he wasnt Mido the Shadow sage before sheik's role was merged with Zelda's.
This art and the 1997 overdump are a treasure trove.

>> No.7364882

>>7364879
Sigh. What could have been.

>> No.7364884

>>7364854
>>7364787
Would kasuto translate to anything similar to an existing character's name?

>> No.7364892

>>7364884
I don't know if the name is written in Katakana, if it is, it might've actually been Cast village.
However, it is really similar to the Japanese name "Kazuto", and the whole "hidden village" shit has always been a ninja trope in Japanese media before Narutard, so it's possible they already were toying with concepts that would eventually evolve into the Sheikah.

>> No.7364897

>>7364879
Reminds me, have any of the leaks discovered whether or not Fado was originally a wind sage in oot? Or any at least explaining why she's so weirdly unique among the non-mido/saria kokiri?

>> No.7364904

>>7364892
The two kasutos kind of fits with tp's two kakariko villages

>> No.7364912

>>7364892
That would make sense, actually. Is it possible that Kasuto became Kakariko in future games? Seeing as that's where the Sheikah are from.

>>7364897
Nothing to my knowledge. I wish there was something about her because it confused me that she was unique and had a name but did absolutely fucking nothing. The Kokiri in WW being called Fado brought some closure, at least. Why not ask over at >>7362232

>> No.7364916

>>7364897
Unfortunately there's absolutely no evidence Fado was a sage at any point. We know, however, it is implied even in the final game they might be siblings or some shit so probably originally she had a larger role leading into Mido becoming a sage, since the overdump lists the Sage's "seals" with Mido instead of Impa being one of them.

>>7364904
Exactly. Now that we know how much shit from Zelda 2 was supposed to be in some form in OoT (like the Fairy Spell) and how much shit TP did that OoT couldn't due the N64 limits, it's possible the hidden Kakariko is a deliberate note to New Kasuto.

>>7364912
It's entirely posible at least starting with OoT Kasuto and Kakariko sort of merged into the "ninja trope village in european fantasy" thing Zelda did.

>> No.7365453

>>7364726
Levi Knuckle. Because his horse levitates.

>> No.7365471

>>7365453
That fits, but if that was the case, wouldn't it be Rebinack? Since Levitation in engrish is Rebiteshon.

>> No.7365518
File: 220 KB, 662x998, 08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7364695
The Iron Kuckle in the comic was Rebonack in specific. Bear in mind in the 80's that the boss boss Rebonack was just called Iron Knuckle in official NA materials, Jermafencer was Helmethead, Volvagia was Barba and Mazuri was Horsehead. It wasn't until the release of Art and Artifacts the Japanese names became canon.

>> No.7365536

>>7365518
That reminds me: the Iron Knuckle in Captain N is also Rebonack.

>> No.7365552

>>7365536
He's a pretty cool boss fight, all things considered. No wonder he was used in these two pieces of media.

>> No.7365647

>>7365552
Funny enough "The Quest for the Potion of Power" becomes more obviously the writers just playing Zelda 2 and writing down everything that happens, because it's pretty much the way the game plays from start to Maze Island.

>> No.7365683

>>7365647
I mean at least they tried with that.
God knows they didn't even knew who Samus was and they kept saying the games "had no story" because they couldn't be bothered to read the manuals.

And fucking Mega Man's attrocious design. Yuck. I honestly believe Quint's design was done by Inafune out of spite torwards Captain N.

>> No.7365697

>>7365683
I read an interview which said that the Captain N creators were "not video game guys, they were cartoon guys," which was their explanation as to why the source material wasn't held to dearly and the designs were fucked with. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Potion of Power episode was made from gleaning a walkthrough in Nintendo Power. They didn't care about representing games and the characters, they cared about making a cartoon /about/ games. You'll know that standards were much different back then for vidya media.

Captain N sucked ass anyway. I'd always be so bummed when I wanted to watch Mario or Zelda but Captain N would air instead.

>> No.7365702

>>7365697
I don't think Captain N is complete ass, I think it can be fun due camp factor, some weird designs and I think The Most Dangerous Game Master is a genuinely good episode...

But fuck me, they should at the very least had someone more game savvy as a sort of advisor like the Beast Wars guys did.

>> No.7365704

>>7364916
>it is implied even in the final game they might be siblings or some shit
Really? Where? Never found anything about this but I never talked to the kokiri kids much.

>> No.7365709

>>7365704
It is more of a speculation sort of thing but Mido and Fado are both named after the musical scale (Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si), Fado's tone in Japanese seems somewhat more demeaning (in english sarcastic with the whole "oh you're a real man aren't you" at Link, and when you talk to get she either threatens with telling Mido you're bothering her or asks you to not tell Mido if she likes the mask you have.

>> No.7365729

>>7365704
Not him, but he might be reffering to how Fado will say "I'm telling Mido!" if you talk to her in a mask. Not sure if that means they're /siblings/, but it does imply they're related in some way.
I would have assumed it's because Mido is their "leader", or he acts like he is. There also could be something in the new leaks that I missed.

>>7365702
Yeah, but as I said, standards for video game related stuff were pretty low. They knew kids would watch it just because of brand recognition, and they were absolutely right.
I have similar feelings you do about N but about the Zelda cartoon. It gets flac now because Link speaks and is pretty annoying, but the expectation that Link would never have a proper voice wasn't there yet, and compared to some other Fantasy cartoons the show was pretty good. I was just happy to see Zelda characters and scenarios onscreen, no matter how consoomer that might sound now.

>> No.7365745

>>7365697
>Mario and Zelda aired afternoons monday through friday
>Captain N only aired Saturday morning

>I'd always be so bummed when I wanted to watch Mario or Zelda but Captain N would air instead
It's fun to roleplay I guess.

>> No.7365764

>>7365745
It depends where you live. Not him but here in Mexico both cartoons would air weekdays and weekends on Channel 5.

>> No.7365773
File: 242 KB, 1080x510, Screenshot_20210202-034138_Chrome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7365745
Who's roleplaying now?

>> No.7365862
File: 1.36 MB, 1100x1492, The mullet's kinda cool ngl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7365729
>It gets flac now because Link speaks and is pretty annoying, but the expectation that Link would never have a proper voice wasn't there yet, and compared to some other Fantasy cartoons the show was pretty good. I was just happy to see Zelda characters and scenarios onscreen, no matter how consoomer that might sound now.
People really need to watch that cartoon with the perspective of the time. The Triforce wasn't exactly known as a relic of the gods, just a powerful artifacts, there was no Golden Goddesses and no major lore, they only had Zelda 1 and I think the upcoming info on 2 (was it out already) to use as groundwork.

Not exactly retro, but with voice-acting now being a thing in the Zelda series with Breath of the Wild, I would LOVE Cyndy Preston to reprise her role as princess Zelda. I don't know what the fuck voice direction they had for BotW but I find Zelda's actress' english voice acting to be absolutely wretched. I hated it. Fuck, you know the meme cry scene how in literally every dub she's distraught to the extreme she screams but the english voice acting is just "sob sob i guess".

And I know this is a longshot, but I wouldn't mind Jonathan Potts to voice Link again. Even if it was just for "HYAAAA".
Of course, it'd still be a matter of... Would they even want to? The backlash the cartoon had as Lorefags crew in prominence thanks to ALttP and OoT might've bittered them to the series, I don't know.

>> No.7365892

>>7365862
Even without any fear of blacklash, nintendo wouldn't go for it. The obvious reason is that it's a japanese company, they don't give a flying fuck about some cartoon from the mid 80's that they leased one of their properties out to.

>> No.7365896

>>7365862
If Link has to talk, they should keep his dialogue as brief and to-the-point as possible.

>> No.7365917

>>7365862
>>7365892
Even if they did come back, zelda lorefags would bitch and whine that "le shitty bad Link and Zelda are in the game!!! Literally h*ckin unplayable!!!"
It's not that the show is all that great. It's cheesy as fuck, a product of its time, and has that 80s/90s quirk where the characters weild swords but use them as lazer guns. The DnD cartoon and I think He Man did that too because actual swordfights would have been "too violent".
At least in Zelda it actually worked, since the sword beam existed in the game.
The it's not an amazing show, not a bad one either. If it wasn't Zelda, it'd probably be forgotten, but the show isn't the evil Hellspawn that people make it out to be.
God. This conversation us reminding me of that horrible Dobson comic where he implies the DiC cartoons came first.

>>7365896
Agreed. I like being able to imprint onto him. His voice acting would never please anyone anyway.

>> No.7365946

>>7365917
>has that 80s/90s quirk where the characters weild swords but use them as lazer guns
As you mentioned, in Zelda's case it worked on their favor rather than their detriment, at least this had basis in the actual game with Link at full hearts, Lynels and in the second quest, Stalfos' themselves.
>DnD
IIRC DnD's violence was more explicit which is a reason why it got cancelled. Really popular in LatAm, I heard especially in Brazil they went nuts for it.
>Dobson
He can rightfully fuck off.

Although I doubt people would go "LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE!". Way too many years have passed since, I doubt anyone gives a fuck anymore beyond "Huh, that's cute/neat" if Cyndy Preston returned to Zelda's role.

I would very much love to hear her again than whoever currently voices Zelda. God damn it.

>His voice would never please anyone anyway.
Exactly. Unless you had him in the Japanese voice option voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama, absolutely NO ONE will ever be pleased no matter the choice. Might as well go for Potts since he can do a serious Link pretty well (like Captain N's version of Link which was surprisingly more in-tune with the Link we expect now.)

>> No.7365984
File: 271 KB, 960x720, LinkCaptainN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7365946
>He can rightfully fuck off
He has. The fag took a "break" from the internet a while ago and thankfully hasn't rematerialized since. He's probably lurking in some inflation forum right about now.

>Captain N's version of Link which was surprisingly more in-tune with the Link we expect now.
N Link's design was pretty chad. His portrayal was okay. I had to google to make sure, because I seemed to remeber him being super muscular and tall for some reason, but he's like 1" wider than Zelda Cartoon Link

>> No.7365996
File: 27 KB, 280x525, 2EDEA3DE-3E12-46D2-9057-DE3DE42E5DA6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7365702
I definitely rubbed one out to Princess Lana back in the day

>> No.7366001

>>7365984
His portrayal imo was a huge improvement compared to his original portrayal methinks.
Still pure 80's cheese, though.

>He has.
Thank god.

>>7365996
She's just Palutena with Peach's color palette.

>> No.7366020

>>7365996
Based

>> No.7366204

>>7365773
Good to see you own that fucking retard autist who thinks his perfectly memorized childhood is the only one that took place. Dumb bastard peaked in grade school.

>> No.7366219

>>7365862
>I don't know what the fuck voice direction they had for BotW but I find Zelda's actress' english voice acting to be absolutely wretched
The English voice acting in that game is so laughably bad it's honestly hard for me to understand how no one at Nintendo gave a fuck at all. I get that Japan is their first thought since they're from there but shit if I had a product that sold the most in a foreign language I would at least hire some actors from that country who don't sound like retarded grandmas with offensively untraceable accents.

>> No.7366246

>>7366219
I'm personally mad in latin spanish they had Hyrule being pronounced "ee-roolay" , when a fantasy name like that would have it's pronunciation preserved. They did for Hyrule Warriors and the fucking Zelda cartoon. Apparently the order came from NoA themselves to the dub studio. I despise it. It being pronounced with spanish syllables makes me think of the wretched spaniard LotR dub where they pronounce Isengard as "ee-sen-gar".