[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 42 KB, 404x395, segata.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
735661 No.735661 [Reply] [Original]

Favourite Sega system?

For me it's the Genesis since it has lots of platformers. I'm on the fence between Saturn and Dreamcast for second place.

>> No.735790

Genesis, though the Dreamcast is great. I've always wanted to try the Saturn.

>> No.735817

Genesis > Dreamcast = Saturn >Game Gear > Master System

>> No.735825

Saturn, because I love fighting games. For me, Last Bronx is my go-to.

>> No.735863

Genesis, since I have the most games for it, along with a Sega CD, probably around 25 games total between them. I only have like 4 Dreamcast games and I don't have a Master System, 32X, or Saturn. I'm a Nintendo fan

>> No.735875

I would say Genesis but they were all great imo even though the master systems controller was absolute shit. I still need to try a Saturn though, what is a good price for one the local retro store has them for $45 and I don't see any on craigslist and I have never encountered one at yard sales either. Should I drop $45 on one?

>> No.735912

>>735875
$45 sounds like a reasonable price.

>> No.735918

>>735661
Dreamcast just has the bigger and better library.

>> No.735923

>>735875
$45 is about right in all honesty you might as well get it local and save yourself the shipping charges.

>> No.735932

>>735912
Thats what I thought too but I wasn't so sure so I tried hunting around at garage sales but never found one so I guess I'll pick one up some time this week. It really seems like Sega consoles are looked over where I live, Dreamcasts are $35 and Genesis's cost $30 but nintendo 64s cost 50 and up and gamecubes are 40. The saturn and dreamcast games are also relatively cheap while nintendo and sony games are at least priced with ebay or more.

>> No.735941

I was introduced to the Saturn right as my life started to be a little better than a slow march through eye-deep, burning shit, so I'm a bit biased towards it. Knowing Sega's history, and having seen it as it happened, what Sega of Japan did was fucking bullshit. The 32X was a bastard child with potential for greatness, and Sega of Japan smothered it in the crib when they rushed the Saturn out ahead of schedule with no real plan, all to beat Sony's PSX project to the store shelves.

I pity inanimate objects that were treated badly, like they were animals.

To me, the Saturn was like the dog you got from the shelter when your puppy "disappeared", and no one would tell you why. Nobody else liked the dog, so you grew attached to it.

No, I've never owned a dog.

>> No.735948

Genesis was the only one that was ever relevant. Nobody even talks about their other consoles when they reference console wars, and if they do it's just a quick nod. "Oh yeah, and there was the Master System/Saturn/Dreamcast for like a month before it disappeared."

Never saw the appeal of Sega personally. Nintendo completely redefined what video games were after the arcade/Atari era, but it seemed like Sega was still in that old mode of quarter-grubbing and high scores. I guess if you just really liked beatemups it could've been your bag, but meh.

>> No.735954

>>735932
It's like that in a lot of places
I work at a retro shop and it's a pain in the ass to move any Sega products at all. We can't keep a Mario title even if we tried but we have 20+ copies of all the Sonic games on the Genesis as well as 10 Genesis systems, however Snes systems will normally sell the same day it's traded in.

>> No.735959

1. mega drive
2. game gear

they're the only sega consoles I've ever played

>> No.735962

>>735941
My personal opinion is the 32X was just a bad idea as a whole.

>> No.735963

>>735875
Unless you can be lucky enough to get one in usable condition or can repair one for cheap, then yeah, that's a good price. Ebay sometimes has better prices, but you never know for sure if it will work or not (I got really lucky with being able to get a 'broken' one for $25 total and getting it to work.)

>> No.735971

>>735948
Well, Sega was more into the arcade side of gaming than Nintendo, so it makes sense they would have more ports of arcade games and more arcade-styled games than Nintendo.

>> No.735989

>>735971

Fair enough, but arcade-style games were made with an arcade in mind. They make for a fun rental, but they're not deep enough to really justify owning them imo. That's why Sega stuff never sells; you play it once and then you're done.

>> No.736031

>>735989
I can understand where you're coming from but I disagree, I play and replay a lot of my sega games. They also make for a fun time when you have friends playing with you. I'm always happy with my sega purchases. Phantasy Star, Nights, Shenmue, Sonic, Powerstone, Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes, great games worth owning in m opinion, but like I said I can see your point of view as well.

>> No.736069

>>735962
SOJ was not going to let go of the Mega Drive, and the 32X was the only way to move forward with that anchor dragging behind. Then SOJ said LOL FUCK IT, SATURN HURR HURR and left SOA holding the bag after SOA had been ordered to make the bag.

>> No.736103

The Saturn was like the 32X CD+. Same layout with the battery-powered RAM save. Thankfully the Action Replay is reliable and gives you 8000 blocks of memory.

>> No.736120

Dreamcast = Genesis > Saturn > Game Gear > Master System

I can't decide between Dreamcast and Genesis because Shenmue and Vectorman.

>> No.736163

>>736031
I agree, and in my opinion Sega games were always the best in their genres.

>> No.736172

MOTHER FUCKING GENESIS. Possibly my favorite console of all time. Just too many great games to play.