[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 28 KB, 220x354, 0548C633-2AB1-4038-BF9B-E752B452FD72.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7337823 No.7337823 [Reply] [Original]

Are the SNES Shin Megami Tensei games worth playing? A bigger question is which games are good and worth playing and which aren’t? I’ve played the Persona games and want to delve deeper into the series

>> No.7337868

>>7337823
Depends what you're looking for. The gameplay in 1 is pretty busted and while 2 is more balanced it's still not going to win any gameplay awards. You play both for the storyline and the world building and imo 2 is actually the best in the entire series, including modern games, for both the world and the storyline since none of the other games (besides some DLC in 4 / 4A) scale to the same insane level that one does nor do any of the others have anywhere near as interesting setting / world building.

>> No.7337883

>>7337823
I haven't played 2 but 1 is really cool.

The only thing being neutral is bullshit hard without a guide and the game is kind of budget in how it reuses assets.

>> No.7337893

>>7337868
>>7337823
Oh and If... is proto persona so if that kind of sounds interesting it might be worth checking out but understand before hand that the story is SUPER light compared to other SMT games, which is already saying a lot really, and it's pretty much just straight up dungeon crawling for 99.8% of the time.
It does do some neat stuff like having multiple routes you can play through and a NG+ partner option that radically changes the story. Something that would go onto obviously inspire the Snow Queen route in Persona 1.
>>7337883
It's more fun to just go by the seat of your pants in the early games anyways. It was pretty cool going chaos in 1 and getting to do stuff like pal around with Beezlebub and take part in a demonic baptism

>> No.7338386

>>7337823
1 is awful, 2 is pretty good

>> No.7338540

As far as gameplay goes, 1 is really rough. The encounter rate is really high, there isn't a ton of strategy to the bosses or fights, and some of the late game dungeons are enormous and tedious. Where it shines is the storytelling and worldbuilding, with one of the most unique RPG experiences on the SNES. If you're playing the translation, make sure you install the bugfix and R button map shortcut, which will make things a bit nicer.

>> No.7339107

Why play the SNES versions instead of the PS1 remakes? Or even the Mega Drive or PCE.

>> No.7339115

>>7339107
I don't think anything but the snes versions have English translations. Games are simple enough that it doesn't really matter though I think the...I want to say GBA SMT port has unique content.

>> No.7339120

>>7339115
Aren't the English translations terrible anyway?

>> No.7339314 [DELETED] 

>>7339120
Eh? I guess objectively I wouldn't know for sure but I never had any issue following what was going on in either name.

>> No.7339317

>>7339120
Eh? I guess objectively I wouldn't know for sure but I never had any issue following what was going on in either game.
The biggest downside is that items aren't explained AT ALL in SMT 1 and 2 so you pretty much have to grab a guide to see what the shit you're buying does.
Which later ports fixed but obviously no English translations in playable form there.