[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 196 KB, 1024x768, Z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
733434 No.733434 [Reply] [Original]

So in my past I played FF 1,4,7 multiple times and loved them. So naturally I wanted to play FF6... I have to ask. When does it get good?

I've finished almost finished 2 scenarios when you split up at the river but this whole adventure so far is boring. People say it picks up so I want to know when it picks up?

I want to fall in love with a new FF but this is failing all expectations and hype so far.

>> No.733475

a little while after that. By the Opera house/Zozo (?) you gain espers which make it a lot easier to tweak

I remember the river was a pain in the ass

>> No.733492

It never really hooked me. Could really make it or break it by the World of Ruin. Though honestly the start of it was just a bunch of busy work. I'll probably never finish it as well.

>> No.733507

>>733434
>I want to fall in love with a new FF

Then stop asking shit like this:
>When does it get good?

Experience the game for yourself.

>> No.733795

>>733507

I did, it's crap so far. You also suck balls for re-arranging sentences to make a pointless point you discarded foreskin of a boy.

>> No.733821

We already have an FF thread.

>> No.733823

Weird. I've played 1, 2, 7, 8, 10, and 12 before 6 and it was almost instantly my favorite. I honestly liked it from the very beginning.

>> No.733846

>>733823

yeah seriously. The only FF that captivated me more than 6 was 9.

>> No.733858

Try playing V. If you don't like VI you'll probably like V because it's almost the completely opposite of VI and focuses on the adventure.

>> No.733870

OP, I was wondering the same thing, and the thing is, it really doesn't get much better.

I would actually say it gets worse when you have to do a boring slog through the World of Ruin. I would recommend playing FF5 instead.

>> No.733974

At least wait until you get access to espers.

>> No.733978

I tried playing FF6 a while back, too, since it seems to be so popular. I got to some point after the opera house and the esper facility and some fucked up town to where I was flying Eastward and it seemed like something important was finally going to happen soon but I just couldn't stand it anymore and gave up. It just felt so boring. The story just kind of... kept going on and on without really getting anywhere. The battles, including boss battles, were so mindless and easy that they just ended up being really tedious and it felt like the game would have been better off without constantly running into enemies that weren't actually fun or challenging to fight. I found the magicite system annoying, too.

>> No.733990

If you don't like it, you don't like it. It takes a very strange approach to FF gameplay by removing the concept of a 'main character' and having the game instead focus on the main villain and how much of a menace he is; he's got his fingers in everyone's pie as it were. If you don't like it by the time you're done with... we'll say Zozo, you're probably not likely to be hooked. The World of Ruin, which is the game's Big Turning Point and ultimately the reason many idolize it, probably won't do much to change your mind.

If you can't slosh through it, watch a playthrough. Kefka is, at the least, an incredible villain.

>>733795

It might also help if you weren't 14, of course.

>> No.733995

>>733858
>focuses on the adventure.

Do you mean focus on the journey more than the destinations? I would agree there but the places you end up in FFVI are so much better

>> No.734008
File: 37 KB, 432x520, thepain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Low-level run
>Opera house sequence
>Those rats
>Those fucking rats

>> No.734020

>>734008

>reminding me of that shit
>ultros fights
>the Mag Roaders and that boss afterward
>running desperately from everything

anon pls
pls
anon

>> No.734024

>>734008
>>734020
I don't even "low level run", I just like to get to the world of ruin quickly so that I spend more time leveling with better espers, and those parts suck. Especially the mag roader.

Though, if you know what's coming, its easier to prepare. For example, low level against Atma and he's raping you with his high level spells he casts when close to death?

kill him by draining his mana

>> No.734042

>>734024

what, by using Rasp on him? Doesn't that take absolutely forever?

>> No.734043
File: 156 KB, 525x613, phil_spector.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>734020
>Those fucking cranes
>Having Gau rage that monster who casts Aqua Rake that's vital for standing a chance
>He fucking punches them 3 times in a row

And I haven't even got to the Imperial Air Force part yet. Oh, the unlordly fuckness that awaits me.

>> No.734048

>>734042
It takes a very long time, but it lets you kill him at a very low level without worrying about being 1 hit KO by his best spells.

>> No.734053

>>734048
He does only have 5000 MP compared to Magic Master who has 50000.

>> No.734061

>>734048
>>734053

huh, I thought Atma Weapon had much more than 5000

>> No.734094
File: 17 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>734020

You mean this guy? I was stuck on him forever as a kid during my first playthrough.

>> No.734819

I did a LLCESG (Celes/Edgar/Setzer only in WOR), and it wasn't too hard since I cheesed everything with max mblock and other bullshit. It's all about preparation.

I also did a LLNMG (Natural magic - basically no espers and weapons which teach spells) and it was a lot of fun (aside from the fucking IAF since you can't use Siren). There was a lot more variety in strategies, involving rage, tools, blitz, mimic, etc.

If you're planning on replaying FF6, try a natural magic game; the lack of magic makes the characters actually unique.

>> No.734838

>HEY NERDS, YOUR SHITTY GAME IS FAILING TO PLEASE ME, JUSTIFY IT TO ME

No, fuck off. Why the hell do people think we care about them enough to "convince them" to like a game. If you don't like it good for you, stop this pointless dickwaving.

>> No.734958
File: 916 KB, 765x777, 1019.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Personally, I thought the game picked up pretty well when I first played it when I suplexed a fucking train with Sabin.

>> No.735006

>>734958
I know this is hardly original anymore but I'm still not tired of it.

Game spoilers ahead if you're one of the fine young folk playing this game for the first time.

You guys ever heard the theory that Sabin, Shadow, and Cyan were all dead? Goes something like...Sabin actually drowned in the Lete River, and Cyan died to the poison (him being the only survivor was suspicious anyway). They travel together, board the ghost train...and make such a fuss rampaging around it beating up other ghosts and fighting the train itself that it literally drops them off early, leaves them back in the world of the living alive again.

Of course there's massive problems with this, not the least of which is that it means Kefka and the Imperial Camp were attacked by ghosts, but...it's interesting. I could see it being part of a remake or something.

>> No.735087

>>735006
Almost all Final Fantasies have theories about characters dying.

>> No.735103

>>735087
Almost everything has a lazyassed "EVERYONE WAS DEAD/IT WAS ALL A DREAM ALL ALONG" theory. It pisses me off, mostly because it takes zero effort to apply and it's never supported by anything actually in the work itself.

Which I admit this isn't either but it at least attempts to draw specific connections to specific things instead of basically being an alternate universe.

>> No.735154

>>735103
Have you heard the "theory" about gogo being adlai stevenson?

>> No.735162

>>735154
>Have you heard the "theory" about gogo being adlai stevenson?

Yes. Here, in fact.

>> No.735441

I couldnt agree with you more. i got halfway through 6 and quit. it bored the shit out of me.

>> No.735449

>>733434
Basically when you get espers. FFVI is pretty boring before that

>> No.735478
File: 124 KB, 798x797, 1369790054387.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It gets good after the mountain battle, then right to fuckin' shit as soon as World of Ruin hits.

I swear to god, this and Chrono Trigger are the biggest offenders of childhood nostalgia I've ever seen.

>> No.735483

>>735478
Except that the world of ruin is better than the first half, is filled with optional non-linear dungeons to complete, and is post-apocalyptic goodness you rarely see in these sorts of games.

>> No.735506

>>735483

Shame the story goes to hell, completely disregards all previous plot points besides the fact that Kefka is the "villain", it makes well over half the cast pretty much pointless gimmick characters and you're better off with Celes/Sabin/Locke/Terra/Edgar than any other party combination, but of course you actually got to use those half hearted characters so you won't get totally fucked in the final dungeon.

The second act in this game is a weaker act than Final Fantasy VII's ending, third disc onward in Final Fantasy IX, and pretty much the entire moon segment in Final Fantasy IV. It's such a lame attempt at being a large scope game that, just like the actual cast of the game, there are too many ideas and plot threads causing the entire experience to be spoiled.

No game is more fitting of being "perfectly average" tier more than Final Fantasy VI.

Should have emulated Final Fantasy V and the Dragon Quest game by trying to be minimalist or atleast attempt to stick with a solid idea rather than changing the plot thread every 10 minutes.

>> No.735518

FF3 NES via Neil Corlett translation patch is GOAT FF.

>> No.735526

>>735478
I swear the people who talk shit on Chrono Trigger and FF6 (and Earthbound) as being anything worse than slightly overrated just don't like charm.

I mean nothing wrong with that, some people like crunchier mechanics like FF5 or whatnot and if you go into a fluffy win-while-asleep RPG like CT expecting gameplay depth you're going to be sorely disappointed. But man, it sounds like peoples' inner child have died when they write games off entirely for "only" offering a charming fantasy world to run about in.

>> No.735528

>>735506
What plot points got disregarded?

And no, you can beat the final dungeon with 1 party. Or 2, if you had a second party of characters who'd picked up a bit of skills when you were forced to use them. You just do each section one by one with the same party. So you're definitely wrong on at least one point.

As for "perfectly average", now you're just trolling. I've played 95% of SNES RPGs. I know average when I see it, because most of them aren't that great.

I don't think FF6 is perfect by any means, but I'm kind of curious as to what you expect. Do you even play many JRPGs?

>> No.735536
File: 85 KB, 500x375, cb8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>733434
>When does it get good?

I had the same feeling as you did, bro. It never got good. The whole game was a huge letdown. There wasn't any epic feel to the game. It's like the Squaresoft exhausted all of its creativity near the end of the SNES era and vomited out a lukewarm FF as a result.

The motive of the main antagonist was simply DIE CIS SCUM!

>> No.735860

Starting to absolutely hate this board when I see some of stupid shit you guys post. It's a great game. Fuck off already if you pick up the game totally distracted with your ridiculous expectations and cynicism. Quit playing it, take your shit taste elsewhere, and pick up where you left off in Call of Duty.

>> No.735891

>>735860
Are you saying it is objectively a great game?

>> No.735905

>>735860

I've never played a Call of Duty. I just wasn't expecting an RPG to be so damn boring. I don't play oldschool RPGs for the story or characters. It's a piss poor medium for that. I play them because I'm fascinated by the evolution of their mechanics. Honestly none of the Final Fantasies are deep. Not their stories, game mechanics, themes, or worlds.

Considering FF6's completely generic battle mechanics, it's pretty much a shitty child's novel with repetitive encounters. To Kill a Mockingbird had better characters and story telling, and it wasn't even fantasy or particularly good.

>> No.735930

>>735905

>I once had to read a book in high school, I'm gonna say it's better than this

>> No.735956

>>735905

> I don't play oldschool RPGs for the story or characters.

Why are you playing then? Did you ever really think you would like the game? Also, the battle mechanics are too boring? What, 14 unique playable characters and the esper system isn't good enough for you?

>> No.735982

>>735930

Sorta, I chose TKAMB because it's something you illiterate mules could at least recognize without feeling intellectually inadequate.

As for the other Anon, it's the same deal as almost any other RPG from that era. There is almost no point in using spells aside from healing/damage, and even then your generic attack will take care of 99% of the game. Overlevelling is way, way too easy. I have to fucking sprint between bosses to feel any sort of challenge.

>> No.735987

>>735982

I guess what bothers me is that after 5 games, buffs/conditions are still pointless. Haste/protect/shell are only useful against optional bosses.

>> No.735990

>>735905
>To Kill a Mockingbird wasn't even particularly good

Holy fuck I have never seen someone this fucking stuck-up. Get over yourself.

>> No.735993

>>735987
I guess it'd vary from game to game. FF1 buffs are pretty gnarly in challenge runs and are essential in FF11 and even 13 to an extent.

One could easily ignore them otherwise in most of the titles.

>> No.735995

>>735982

Just stop playing old school RPGs. You're getting no enjoyment from it. If you were really that 'fascinated by the evolution of their mechanics' (pompous bullshit) you would at least have an appreciation, much less an understanding, for the game's battle system.

You're only here to feel special for being critical of a well-loved game.

>> No.736016

>>735982
A serious suggestion, but you might have to drop most JRPGs and FF then, because you won't find it there outside of experimental titles like SaGa and other unusual titles. Console JRPGs tend to follow a certain design mindset.

Stick with some early CRPGs to see where the real foundational mechanics kick in. Check out Wizardry 6--7 which did the whole crazy multiclassing thing long before FF ever did, complete with awkward imbalance.

>> No.736029

>>735995
>You're only here to feel special for being critical of a well loved game

This. Can we fucking start deleting these "WHEN DOES THIS GAME GET GOOD/AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE THIS GAME/GUYS PROVE TO ME THAT I SHOULD LIKE THIS" dickjerking shit, it all boils down to "durr pay attention to me"

>> No.736048

I played it back when it was ported to the PS1. I just couldn't get through to the end. Those ugly monochromatic colours, that ugly ass World Map, the interminable but tedious gameplay, random battles every milisecond. Sorry, if they'd cleaned up the graphics and gameplay a bit it would have been perfectly fine but ultimately I found it too boring.

>> No.736058

>>733434
You're probably too old for FF. I'm serious. When I was younger, I was scatter-brained. I didn't think deeply that often, which made it much easier for me to enjoy these kinds of games. As I got older and started to think more, I began to analyze these RPGs, eventually realizing that most of them have fairly simplistic storylines and game mechanics. The game designers didn't worry about the consistency of the world or the stories of the games in general. They just string events together haphazardly, hoping that players would have short enough attention spans and low enough critical thinking skills to interpret it as a grand, epic story.

When things started to become predictable for RPGs, that's when they became boring to me.

>> No.736059

>>736048
I guess time is better spent reading To Kill A Mockingbird.

>> No.736062

>>736059
Yes, flipping through page after page of fresh text is way better than mindlessly grinding for hours by spamming spells and moves and staring at the same monsters over and over again.

>> No.736067

Why does it seem like every kid under 17 years old has ADD anymore?

>> No.736125
File: 38 KB, 213x213, it is dancing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>To Kill a Mockingbird
>Good writing

>> No.736138

>>735483
I disagree. I felt the game fell apart once you hit the World of Ruin because the drastic change of progression and having to regain everyone again. The way it presented World of Ruin just made me feel disinterested, and even if it was open it still felt like my hand was being held compared to other Square series.

>> No.736161
File: 5 KB, 107x107, 1369636715114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>736067
>Why does it seem like every kid under 17 years old has ADD anymore?
>has ADD anymore?

>> No.737695

>>733978
>The battles, including boss battles, were so mindless and easy that they just ended up being really tedious
This is by far the biggest problem with FF6 - and FF7. FF4 and 5 didn't have this issue because bosses would fuck you up if you weren't paying attention.