[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 34 KB, 300x268, Super_Mario_Land_2_box_art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7293579 No.7293579 [Reply] [Original]

Nobody seems to like Super Mario Land 2, but I actually think its a really good game

>> No.7293582

>>7293579
and i think your mom is really good in a missionary position

>> No.7293584

what it lacks in gameplay and level design it makes up in art style and soul.

>> No.7293593

>>7293579
i like it, it was probably the best game for the gameboy that wasn't pokemon. Well, that, and Wario Land

>> No.7293596

>>7293593
and link's awakening

>> No.7293609

>>7293579
Really? I thought it was widely recognized as a classic.

>> No.7293617

>>7293579
>smart guy
Probably in my top 3 games of all time.

>> No.7293683

This was a childhood classic for me & upon finding this game again I remembered why I loved it so much. This game is so fucking weird, most enemies would be spat on by the current clean NSMB-esque standards of Nintendo, where 1-1 must be goombas! Final bowser must have a twist where he comes back... but big!

It's so out there but that's what makes it great. Even the powerups, I mean a fucking carrot that gives you bunny ears? Why hasnt that returned? If they can implement their cancer squirrel suit in newer mario platformers alongside the propeller cap, why not the carrot?

>> No.7293713

>>7293579

I like 6 Golden Coins. It was a fun little Super Mario World inspired platformer for the GameBoy, arguably better than Super Mario Land 1 in a lot of ways, as it doesn't feel like a SMB1 clone. Though SMB1 is still one of my favourite Mario games, and I like Mario Land as well. Plus the game introduced Wario.

>> No.7293737

it's not perfect but i always have a good time playing it. the gameboy itself bottlenecks it. i'd like a remake but i prefer not using a monkey's paw.

>> No.7293750

>>7293737
and i always have a good time playing with your mom's tits

>> No.7293780

I liked it much better than SML1, and it was interesting to see how much they improved between them, like a jump from worse than SMB to better (in terms of content not actual playthrough) than SMB3

>> No.7293790

Too short and easy, great game otherwise.

Lot's of soul

>> No.7293797

>>7293579
>Nobody seems to like Super Mario Land 2
Really? I've never heard anything but praise for it. The game successfully transitioned Mario World style Mario into Game Boy, had its own original gameplay ideas, themes and area types and executed them well, even had good boss fights and a more compelling enemy in the new character Wario that had a series of satisfying boss fights where he used the same powerups Mario had been using in the game. They didn't even do that again until what, 3D World with cat powerup Bowser?

>> No.7293843

Still my favorite Mario game. SM3 is a close 2nd

>> No.7293856

>>7293737
>it's not perfect but i always have a good time playing it. the gameboy itself bottlenecks it. i'd like a remake but i prefer not using a monkey's paw.

I would have liked to see a DX version of the game for the GBC. Which would have fixed the slowdown of the original, and added colour. But there is a fan hack that does the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegaW5v1XDg

>> No.7293876

>>7293856
i meant being a proper console mario game. the gameboy limits what you can do with the level design.

>> No.7293909
File: 142 KB, 800x792, 14479-the-legend-of-zelda-link-s-awakening-dx-game-boy-color-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7293876
>>>7293856 (You)
>i meant being a proper console mario game. the gameboy limits what you can do with the level design.
There is a DX version of Links Awakening, and they still followed it up with a remake. I would imagine that a Mario Land 2 remake would look like New Super Mario Bros.

>> No.7293964

>>7293579
I once saw a kid playing it on the playground and I then spent literally years trying to find the same game. Turns out it was this.

>> No.7293984

>>7293964
Oh, it was only that obscure most famous game boy game of all time? (Maybe second to Pokémon). You must have been stressing your brain really hard trying to track down a Mario game, the most notorious video game series ever created

>> No.7293991

>>7293984
>most famous game boy game of all time?
That's a pretty huge stretch desu

>> No.7294016

>>7293964
i remember playing this for a whole day at a wedding or something and the whole thing seemed like a weird dream to me until i saw a playthrough as an adult. Weird because i don't remember who's wedding it was nor i remember who lent me the game. Probably one of my older cousins gave it to me, but i was really into it, so much that is the only thing i remember from that whole day and don't recall anything else about it.

>> No.7294080

>>7293683
as a kid mario land 2 was the entirety of the series to me and when I finally got a chance to play the traditional entries they all seemed weirdly sterile and lame.

>> No.7294086 [DELETED] 
File: 232 KB, 1177x835, gameboybestsellers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7293991
>That's a pretty huge stretch desu

Going by the sales numbers on Wikipedia (and these are accurate) SML2 sold 11+ million ccopies worldwide. Makimg it the 6th best selling game on the system/ Also, the Original Super Mario Land sold 18+ million copies. But keep in mind, that it was a launch game, and the only Mario platformer for the console before SML2.

>> No.7294093
File: 232 KB, 1177x835, gameboybestsellers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7293991
>That's a pretty huge stretch desu

Going by the sales numbers on Wikipedia (and these are accurate) SML2 sold 11+ million ccopies worldwide. Makimg it the 6th best selling game on the system. Also, the Original Super Mario Land sold 18+ million copies. But keep in mind, that it was a launch game, and the only Mario platformer for the console before SML2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Game_Boy_video_games

>> No.7294156
File: 724 KB, 726x572, wario.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That US TV commercial was something else...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZm5cXRShO4

>> No.7294159
File: 742 KB, 726x572, wario2.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7294156

>> No.7294171

>>7294093
So you were wrong.

>> No.7294214
File: 350 KB, 496x437, dadidsu-7da478cf-4d0f-4706-96a3-4e1bd5f87698.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7294171
>So you were wrong.

I'm not the anon that said it "was a huge stretch". A different anon just posting some facts on the game sales. Super Mario Land 2 sold more copies than Donkey Kong Country did on the SNES. People always underestimate the popularity and userbase of the original GameBoy. I had a Players Choice copy of the game

>> No.7294218

>>7293609
It is. This is a troll thread and all you fucking idiots fell for it.

>> No.7294371

>>7293579
It's my favourite game of all time, probably my most beaten game too. SML was the first game I ever played so this was just a step-up in every way and it blew my mind to go from the graphics of the first to this one.
Every zone is short and sweet and damn creative, Wario's Castle is an awesome final level too and he's a great final boss. SML and Wario Land have more challenge but this one is just perfect to me.

>> No.7294439

>>7294218
>It is. This is a troll thread and all you fucking idiots fell for it.

The original Super Mario Land series only ever had one re-release from Nintendo, through the 3DS virtual console. The original games are still exclusive to GameBoy, but all three did get Players Choice re releases and were popular with the Super GameBoy adaptor as well. Physical copies can only really be obtained second hand. These games are some of the best selling classic Mario games out of all of Nintendo's consoles. Mario World still sold 20 million copies, and it was a pack-in game and even included with a version of All-Stars. But the GameBoy games still sold 18+, 11+, and 5+ million units per game. Just about anyone I knew with a GameBoy either had Super Mario Land 1, or Super Mario Land 2... or sometimes both. Kirby was popular too. Dr. Mario as well. Pokemon lit up the sales charts at the end of the GameBoy's life. Not rare to see Links Awakening. The GameBoy Color was a big hit too because of Pokemon. I would like to see Nintendo re-release the GameBoy game library.

>> No.7294446

>>7294214
its true that everyone understimates how much gameboy sold but if you look closely Tetris and Pokemon still have more that 3 times the sales each than SML. Most people really only remember the gameboy as that tetris and pokemon device, nothing else comes close.

>> No.7294490
File: 87 KB, 700x525, 653ce30c-e22b-11e6-9df3-1479e7479c31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7294446
>its true that everyone understimates how much gameboy sold but if you look closely Tetris and Pokemon still have more that 3 times the sales each than SML. Most people really only remember the gameboy as that tetris and pokemon device, nothing else comes close.

The thing with Tetris is that it was a pack-in game for most of the original GameBoy's life. They did sell a unit without a pack-in game, the Play it Loud series GameBoy's didn't come with Tetris. It was like the Super Mario World SNES pack-in game. or SMB1/ Dunk Hunt on the NES. But outside of this, Super Mario Land 1 was the best selling GameBoy game before the Pokemon phenomenon hit the machine. SMB2 was the second best. Dr. Mario 3rd and Kirby 4th. Super Mario land 1 and 2 were some of the most recognised games outside of Tetris. The Pokemon games were big, just look at that sales chart.

>> No.7294495

>>7294490
Faggot.

>> No.7294558

>>7294495
>Faggot.

Did I piss you of somehow?

>> No.7294864

I started gaming with nes and I never even knew this game existed until recently trying to go through all the older Mario games on emulator. I knew there was a Mario or two for Gameboy but I didn't know whether it was a gimped port of the nes games or something else. I played SML 1 and 2 and they were enjoyable. Gonna finish up the Wario series eventually including gamecube. Never played any of his games.

I made this post based on the discussion above about how well known it is. I'm just one person but I have followed gaming closely since mid 90s.

>> No.7295202

Been ages since I played it so I didn't remember much of it. I could never beat it so I would always lose the Golden Coins upon game over. Replayed it recently and was surprised how incredibly fun it was.

Also playing SML and SML2 back to back really shows how much of an improvement this game was over the predecessor in every possible way.

>> No.7295380

No one gonna talk about how piss easy the game was(by far the easiest mario game I ever played), then the last castle is pretty much on par with SMW's? Bowser is a lot harder in SMW but the lead up to him is much easier too.

>> No.7295870

>>7294864
>I started gaming with nes and I never even knew this game existed until recently trying to go through all the older Mario games on emulator. I knew there was a Mario or two for Gameboy but I didn't know whether it was a gimped port of the nes games or something else. I played SML 1 and 2 and they were enjoyable. Gonna finish up the Wario series eventually including gamecube. Never played any of his games.

I wasn't criticising anyone who didn't know about this series. Lots of people didn't own a GameBoy or probably thought these games were just ports of the NES games. They may have been a bit obscured over time do to the lack of re-releases. But Mario Land 1 and 2 were two of the best selling games on the system for the longest time. The series is a pretty weird , especially the odd themes of the first game that never come back in any later game. The series gets handed off to Wario , with Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. Then after that, there is Wario Land 2 and 3 for the GB/GBC and GBC.

>>7295380
>No one gonna talk about how piss easy the game was(by far the easiest mario game I ever played), then the last castle is pretty much on par with SMW's? Bowser is a lot harder in SMW but the lead up to him is much easier too.

Super Mario Land 1 was criticised for being too hard. It was also very strict in its game design. No backtracking (like SMB1) and rigid platforming. I like the original SML. Super Mario Land 2 is an easier game to give it more universal appeal. The game has overworlds like SMB3/ SMW and levels with backtracking/ multiple exits. Gameplay borrows a lot from SMW.

>> No.7295976

>>7294093
So....not the most famous game boy game then?

>> No.7295993

>>7295870
I was both comments. I didn't think you criticized anybody, I just added my perspective to the conversation. I also thought there was a third possibility, that they were just simple and not very good because it was on very dated hardware and old so just forgotten. I was pleasantly surprised playing them. I didn't mind that they were easy either. A game could be easy but still a fun challenge. I got a game over on the 2nd last world my first run of SML but beat it easily the second time. I just found it weird how much the difficulty jumped in part 2 with the final castle. The segments themselves weren't hard, but having to beat the entire castle in one go was. I especially found the jumping in it to be more inconsistent than the nes/SMW games where I felt confident with every jump.

I also didn't know that's where Wario came from. Because of the games I wanna play all his too. It is weird that Nintendo seems to not care much about SML or Wario much though(they are not shy about re-releasing their classics), I think that's the biggest reason it's not super well known today.

>> No.7296049
File: 229 KB, 528x983, smbsales.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7295976
>So....not the most famous game boy game then?

It's the number six best selling game on the system overall, out of a library of 1000+ GameBoy games. Tetris was a pack-in game for a large part of the system's life. Nintendo counts Pokemon, Red, Green and Blue as one entry, even though they are three different cartridge releases. Same with Pokemon Gold and Silver. Mario Land 2 is one of the best selling stand-alone cartridges for the system, though Super Mario Land 1 did sell even better than the second game. The first Mario Land game sold more copies than Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES. Super Mario Land 2 sold 700k units less than Mario 64.

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Mario_games

>> No.7296086

>>7295993
>I didn't think you criticized anybody, I just added my perspective to the conversation

Same. And I agree with your "just forgotten" sentiment. That is true, and yes, lack of re-releases made these not as well known over time. But they were incredibly well selling games for the Platform. Wario is an interesting character, as he started as a polar opposite doppelganger to Mario. The character wanted Mario's success and fortune (and oddly, Mario's castle that nobody talks about). But the series shifts over to Wario as an ati-hero in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. Wario Land may be my favourite in the original series. I like how the coins are there for Wario to collect, so you can use them to wish for a better house at the end of the game. This adds a lot of replay to the game. It's a very original spin on the classic Mario formula. And a nice spin-off concept to boot. Wario Land 2 was released on the Original GameBoy as well, but also got a second black cartridge release on the GameBoy Color and is also backwards compatible with the original GameBoy. Wario Land III is a GameBoy Color release.

>> No.7296651

>>7293991
no it's not. It's either Mario World, Pokeomon, or Tetris. You're an idiot for thinking otherwise

>> No.7297157

>Nobody seems to like Super Mario Land 2
Are you high? At least during the early 2010s, people raved about this game as one of the hidden Mario gems

>> No.7297781
File: 227 KB, 436x384, Tatanga_in_Pagosu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>final stage is a shooter

y tho

>> No.7297796

>>7293582
Everybody's mom is good in missionary position anon! Not yours ?

>> No.7297894
File: 280 KB, 1112x1600, Tatanga Takes Daisy Unaware.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What was his problem?

>> No.7297958

Link's Awakening is better (and the best game on the Game Boy).
Kirby's Dream Land is better (2nd loop only).
Gargoyle's Quest is better.
Donkey Kong 94 is better.
Even SML is better if you pretend the shmup sections don't exist.

>> No.7298134
File: 70 KB, 495x500, 61Idfz1641L._AC_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For me, it is Super Mario Land 3.

>> No.7298490

>>7297958
>Even SML is better if
No need to qualify this. It's just better fullstop

>> No.7298536

>>7293579
it's fun but it doesn't feel like a mario game

>> No.7300446

>>7293579
Why?

>> No.7300474

Ok game but the last level is gae

>> No.7300501

>>7293579
>Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 2 is one of the best, the opinions of seething Super Mario 2 fanboys are void and shit.
Playing SML2 on my cousin gameboy is one of the best childhood memories I have.
SM2 was a fucking slog.