Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 81 KB, 1024x768, sh3 maria.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7281193 No.7281193 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

I don't understand why SH2 is praised so much, finished it recently for the first time and didn't like it. Maybe it's because it's been overhyped. My main problem is that the game is boring as fuck and a slog to play, the gameplay is terribly repetitive, environments are bland and uninteresting, puzzles range from tedious to cryptic and there are too many dumb moments.

Let's talk about the story because that seems to be why people praise it so much, first off the presentation is hit or miss but mostly miss, characters are awkward in a bad way and don't act or speak naturally at all. The symbolism is very over the top and in your face, there's no subtelty, "haha a raping room with phallic objects thrusting into holes, get it? Cuz' sexual rape and stuff". You are mostly in the dark for the entire game too and wondering why you should even care about all these random people.

Now about the big twist, spoilers ahead so stop reading if you haven't played it.

Yes it's cool and thought provoking but I don't like how it's executed, a casette tape? Really? And somehow James doesn't remember anything? The game deliberately hides crucial information from you if not outright feeding you falsehoods (Mary died 3 years ago) just to make it work. I felt cheated, it would have been better if James was aware of his deeds but the player wasn't. It's quite underwhelming too, Pyramid head, other characters, the town, the whole rape and abuse symbolism, it builds up to some big revelation that James is some kind of monster but there is no payoff, "duh, I forgot that I euthanized my suffering wife, sorry".

To sum it up I felt like I played a shitty game that purposefully mislead me just to awkwardly drop a twist at the end that's supposed to retroactively make it good. Since the game is untouchable due to it's cult classic status I don't expect anything more than buzzwords but it would be nice to have a discussion that's not clouded by brainless praise.

>> No.7281201

Your main problem is that you're a zoomer who needs to go back to /v/.

>> No.7281206

>>7281193
He never said he didn't kill his wife.

>> No.7281207

>>7281201
fpbp
nobody put it on a pedestal except you, OP

>> No.7281235

You probably were dissapointed by no crafting and no battle royale mod zoomie boy.

>> No.7281249
File: 51 KB, 1024x929, 1581901114126m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7281249

>>7281193
>Mary died 3 years ago
>zoomer cannot comprehend the concept of a man breaking down and losing his mind after mercy killing his wife and losing all sense of time and the walls of reality shattering around him
Maybe horror is not the right genre for you

>> No.7281262

good game is actually bad pay attention to my hot take xd

>> No.7281268
File: 43 KB, 1024x768, The Fog Warning by Winslow Homer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7281268

>>7281193
>sh3 maria
>the game is boring as fuck and a slog to play, the gameplay is terribly repetitive, environments are bland and uninteresting...
It's not an action game, and the atmosphere/music/locations are A++.
>You are mostly in the dark for the entire game too and wondering why you should even care about all these random people.
I was able to deduce that James was responsible for the death of Mary like 1/2 through, its more interesting how & why it came about, how he deals with it, and the resolution (?) to it. The other characters are obviously coming from the same place as James but applied differently , i.e. another perspective.
> it builds up to some big revelation that James is some kind of monster but there is no payoff
I already knew the twist so i wasn't expecting something different, again I think its why it happened, how he deals with it, and the outcome.
>a shitty game that purposefully mislead me just to awkwardly drop a twist at the end that's supposed to retroactively make it good.
Nah bruh.

Idk what to tell you. You're definitely young otherwise I think you could take more from it. Are you familiar with the book "Crime & punishment"? That was a major influence on SH2, don't reduce the story so much and try to look at the nuances more. I thought it was a pretty good game personally but its because of the atmosphere and music.
1>>>>2>3 by the way. But you wouldn't care for the first one so don't bother

>> No.7281271

>>7281193

This happens with every game you didn't experience on release that you're going back to like 20 or 30 years afterwards. Nothing can live up to lavish praise and the image built up in people's heads. So people then end up comparing the game to that impossible to live up standard than games released at the time.

You should also play 1-2-3 instead of just 2.

>> No.7281303

lmao op, what a roast you've got, time for you to gtfo

>> No.7281324

Tank controls bad, needs more chest high walls , rpg elements and collectibles. -1000/10

>> No.7281374

>>7281193
>The game deliberately hides crucial information from you if not outright feeding you falsehoods (Mary died 3 years ago) just to make it work. I felt cheated, it would have been better if James was aware of his deeds but the player wasn't.
What the fuck story would that be. Why would he bother with the hotel if he knew the truth from the start

>> No.7281381

>>7281193
>Maybe it's because it's been overhyped.
So tired of seeing this. It's a NOTHING complaint. Don't get in expecting something to change your life regardless of what you said. All 'hype' should do is make you think it's worth playing, you shouldn't go in expecting a perfect 10/10 on ANYTHING. It's entirely a (you) problem and a shit thing to judge the game against.
Thanks for reading my rant. I didn't read the rest of your post cause I honestly don't care about generic take on why SH 2 is ACTUALLY bad for the 500th time. FYI SH 1 is better

>> No.7281443

>>7281262
>i said "hot take" so that means shut up

>> No.7281450

>>7281374
you're almost getting it

>> No.7281732

>>7281193
SH2 gets praised so much because it's the first game that makes people realize there can be symbolism and a deeper meaning to things in a video game. That's why most of the discussion about SH2 is trying to uncover the mystery of the town and understand what everything means. It does have some issues with gameplay though, I felt like the first half of the game in particular wasn't very fun to actually get through, but I enjoyed it a lot more once I reached the prison.

For the earlier parts of the game it seemed like the VAs were trying to give the dialogue a surreal feeling, but it just comes across as awkwardly done. People compare it to David Lynch movies but in those it seems like people talk naturally, it's just what they're actually saying makes things feel surreal. In SH2 they tried to use inflection to make things feel surreal but it didn't work that well. Once they drop that I felt like they shined though. Angela's final scene, James' final scene with PH, and Mary's letter still give me goosebumps.

I can understand feeling disappointed because of how many people say SH2 is literally perfect, but I wouldn't let that influence my opinion too much. The game still does some things very well, even if it's not perfect. Have you played SH1? It's a little more subtle with the symbolism at times and overall I think it plays better than 2, so you might want to give that a try if you haven't yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JArLC0oLB_Q

>> No.7281739

>>7281450
>no no no , you can't just have an unreliable narrator, thats cheating -100000/10

>> No.7282013

>>7281249
I love horror. Actual good horror, like Resident Evil and Carrier.

>> No.7282016
File: 72 KB, 680x622, 0c3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282016

>>7281193
>horror game with no good jumpscares

>> No.7282025

>>7281193
>haha a raping room with phallic objects thrusting into holes,
Where did this happen? I don't remember that at all. Maybe lay off the porn?

>> No.7282026

>>7282016
SH1 and 2 do have jumpscares, contrary to what SH fanboys tell themselves to pretend the games are "so deep bro".
For instance, cat in the locker, Red Pyramid appearing suddenly, etc

>> No.7282031

>>7281268
>It's not an action game

Survival Horror ARE "action" games. It's part of the definition of the genre.

Action as a genre means that you're directly controlling the character with responsive twitch based controls. Shooting and running away in Silent Hill = action. Shooting and fleeing in Final Fantasy = not action.

Even if there is no fighting/shooting and all you do is dodge enemies, that's still an action game as long as you have direct twitch based controls on what's going on.

"Survival Horror" games, before Resident Evil came up with that name, were called "action-adventure"; which is exactly what they are, action-adventure game with a horror theme.
You can get specific and say that it's "survival action", but it's still action.

If there was no action, then Silent Hill would be a point&click or text based adventure game.

>> No.7282106

Someone post that SH2 zoomer version webm.

>> No.7282110
File: 2.96 MB, 854x480, 1602190031878.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282110

>>7282106

>> No.7282118

>>7282031
agree, needs more over the shoulder shootout sections, dual shotgun wielding and James should do more sarcastic jokes and one liners after killing each enemy to show that he is fun and endearing .

>"Whoa easy there pyramid guy, whats with the get up? halloween is months away"
>"Yikes, i ask for sexy nurses and this is what i get? give me a break!"
10/10 perfect game, timeless classic

>> No.7282143
File: 1.19 MB, 220x220, 220[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282143

>>7282025
It's after the labyrinth when you find Angela and fight the abstract daddy.

>> No.7282154

>>7282118
Stop being obtuse, moron. That's not what he meant.

>> No.7282182

>>7282118
You're trying to be funny, but "dual shotgun" and "over the shoulder" aren't anti-thesis of "survival horror".
Resident Evil games have grenade and rocket launchers.
and Homecoming is "over the shoulder" and it has the tightest survival gameplay mechanics in the entire franchise, you can die in one hit, dodging AND killing is harder, supplies are actually scarce and there is a very tight limit to the max amount you can carry, unlike running around 250 pistol bullets, 120 shotgun shells, and 36 magnum bullets in SH1/2. Yet, it's "over the shoulder" so by your definition it's not survival horror I suppose which is exactly what every retard has been claiming since the game's release, despite the fact Silent Hill that always been action oriented and giving a lot of freedom to the player by adding strafing, melee combat with a guard, combo system and even fighting game type input in SH3, even SH1 has the same kind of QTEs as Homecoming when you have to spam X to get free of enemies

>> No.7282240

>>7281193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8Hay5J1uKc

>> No.7282245

>>7282182
Hell Yeah, BFGs and rocket launchers are what Silent hill 2 needed. maybe a chainsaw hand like in evil dead and shurikens

>> No.7282282

>>7281201
this but 3 > 2

>> No.7282304

>>7281324
>Tank controls bad,

2-3 actually gives you the option of 2D and 3D controls. Anyone who complains about "tank controls" in SH2 or 3 is an idiot since there's an option right there to change it.

>>7281374

It's called unreliable narrator and not having the narrtative tell you everything at the start.

>> No.7282319
File: 61 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282319

>>7282245
>maybe a chainsaw hand like in evil dead

There is already a survival horror like that

>> No.7282408

>>7282013
I suppose you also think RE4 is a horror game

>> No.7282412

>>7282013
>Carrier
>good horror
Kek, gtfo with that stupid bait

>> No.7282445

>>7282031
Ask me how I know your favorite RE game is RE4

>> No.7282448

>>7282408
>I suppose you also think RE4 is a horror game

They shift the focus to third person action, and about half way through the creators themselves seem to stop taking the narrative seriously. But it actually has some of the best horror set pieces, jump scares, and sequences, in the entire RE sequence. I never really got scared of RE1-3 but there's a few parts I felt unnerved in RE4.

>> No.7282462

>>7282448
I thought REmake 1 and RE3 were terrifying when they came out. RE4 never fazed me because I felt like rambo and had no reason to be scared. The basement part near the end with the regenerator or whatever it's called was a bit spooky, but other than that RE4 is a horror themed action game at best, as opposed to horror/survival horror.

>> No.7282492

>>7282462
Retrash was never creepy
3 maybe but only because of Nemesis
RE4 is the only real creepy game in the entire series

>> No.7282498

>>7281193
its' the only SH game Redditors and e-celebs played this is why it's overpraised
that's the reason don't let any fucking SH2 fag tell you otherwise
1 3 and even 4 (the game Redditors didn't play because it got low scores from the kike journalists) are leagues above that boring slog of SH2

>> No.7282503

>>7282492
>Retrash
Ah, I see you're a braindead zoomer who is playing these games 15+ years after release.

>> No.7282507

>>7282498
SH2 was already overpraised like the 2nd coming of jesus long before "reddit" and "e-celebs" even existed.

>> No.7282512

>>7282503
a great game can be still enjoyed no matter how many years passes by
i replayed RE4 last month and it was fantastic and fun just like when i first played it in 2008 but REtrash will always be tedious piece of shit
i enjoyed Deadly Silence (the true way to play classic RE1) more than that shitty remake

>> No.7282574
File: 702 KB, 602x671, 1594496863593.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282574

>>7282512
>REtrash will always be tedious piece of shit
>i enjoyed Deadly Silence (the true way to play classic RE1) more than that shitty remake

>> No.7282609

>>7282013
>actual good horror
>resident evil
what did this nigger mean by this

>> No.7282614
File: 48 KB, 1080x607, fb7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282614

>>7282512
>REtrash will always be tedious piece of shit
>i enjoyed Deadly Silence (the true way to play classic RE1) more than that shitty remake

>> No.7282615

>>7281262
This. I'm fucking sick of these posts.
I don't even like Silent Hill 2 in this case, but the contrarian "le ebic vidya gaem critic" roleplay gets so tiresome.

>> No.7282669

>>7282013
Zombies are always shit tier horror

>> No.7282670
File: 159 KB, 706x1000, Gentle+strong+snake_bcd3d6_7436673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7282670

>plagiarizes Lost Highway
Finally, video games are art!

>> No.7282680

>>7282448
Fighting a giant with machineguns made me shit my pants!

>> No.7282692

>>7282574
>zoomer fag can't play PS1 graphic era games so he only played the inferior version of RE1 with the 3D gamecube graphics

>> No.7282694

>>7282680
>Fighting a giant with machineguns made me shit my pants!
so basically RE3

>> No.7282714

>>7281193
Maybe play Silent Hill 1 and 3 next time.

>> No.7282716

>>7281249
>zoomer cannot comprehend the concept of a man breaking down and losing his mind after mercy killing his wife and losing all sense of time and the walls of reality shattering around him because he has no one in his life that could inspire such feelings if lost, no family, no real friends
maybe the real horror was the zoomer lifestyle

>> No.7282805

>>7282609
resident evil would be better if no character ever talked and the game had no text. if you didn't speak english you'd think it was a less-stupid game.

>>7282670
never seen Jacob's Ladder?

>>7282448
>and about half way through the creators themselves seem to stop taking the narrative seriously.
I actually think it's decent horror until just before the end of the village (so, pretty early on)

>> No.7283002

>>7282412
No bait I'm afraid. Carrier is a great game, and scarier than SH2.

>> No.7283008

>>7282609
Unlike SH, the monsters in RE are actually real in-universe, and they're far more dangerous too. RE games are also loaded with good gore and moments to make you jump

>> No.7283353

>>7283008
The silent hill monsters are in-universe too...

>> No.7283363

>>7282692
I like both actually, but REmake > DS

>> No.7283374

>>7281193
I disagree but can understand if you find the combat and puzzles boring; however, youre just objectively wrong on a lot of points. Bland environments? What other game besides Silent Hill depict an abandoned small town shrouded in fog & mystery, especially with atmosphere as rich?
>And somehow James doesn't remember anything?
Yes? Its a video game and he's been transported to a horrifying alternate dimension. Having amnesia shouldnt be hard to suspend your disbelief for.
>I felt cheated, it would have been better if James was aware of his deeds but the player wasn't.
That would ruin the payoff which you claim doesn't exist.
>It's quite underwhelming too, Pyramid head, other characters, the town, the whole rape and abuse symbolism, it builds up to some big revelation that James is some kind of monster but there is no payoff, "duh, I forgot that I euthanized my suffering wife, sorry".
The payoff is that James forgives himself and moves on.
>To sum it up I felt like I played a shitty game that purposefully mislead me just to awkwardly drop a twist at the end that's supposed to retroactively make it good.
Theres nothing wrong with a story "misleading" you in the process. Artists dont need to use kid gloves for autists that feel "cheated" when a story doesnt turn out exactly like they wanted.

>> No.7283697

>>7283374
>>7281193

It's open ended how bad James is. He may have euthanized her for her own benefit, but it's also heavily hinted he was just sick of her disgusting whiny ass and wanted to be done with her. He has tons of guilt over it which is why all the shenanigans are going on to begin with.

>> No.7283706

>>7283008
>gore
>scary

>> No.7283723

>>7283697
More like there was a very small part of him that was literally tired from taking care of her, and with guilt that he felt terrible about that.

But yes, it also depends on the ending you got and it's open to interpretation

>> No.7283735

>>7283353
No, in SH2 it's all in James' head which ruins the whole thing

>> No.7283740
File: 1.21 MB, 1200x675, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7283740

WHAT'S IN THE TRUNK JAMES

>> No.7283924

>>7281207
Lmao what,lots of people praise this game as one of the best survival horror ever.i too felt this game was overhyped before playing it.

>> No.7284343

>>7281193
Honestly the best part of this game is the sound design
Like, by far. From the music to the sounds the monsters make to even the beeps and boops on the menus, it's all top notch stuff.

>> No.7284519

>>7283740
Mary's freshly killed body.

>> No.7284546

>>7284519
>>7283740

Dumb. Mary is actually in Silent Hill or at least her soul. James has to battle and defeat Maria to visit her. In the In the Water ending he goes to pick up Mary and bring her back to the car.

>> No.7284659

>>7284546
I don't think that was meant to be taken literally. SH2 obviously makes a lot of things metaphorical. I would assume it was more like James becoming detached after he killed her and fantasizing about an ideal version of her before coming out of it and then moving her body if you want to talk about what would've literally happened.

>> No.7284730

>>7283740
I remember when everyone (including PC fags) thought this scene was peak realistic graphics lmao.

>> No.7284753

>>7281193
Your inability to properly contextualize a piece of work in its original era and to dig deeper with the symbolisms and the concepts that it introduces says a lot about your intellectual level. The problem is not your age, is your being an uneducated moron who thinks to possess the instruments to make a sensible critique. Which is unsurprising nowadays, considering the amount of imbeciles that are paid to do the exact same thing you're doing.

>> No.7284763

>>7284753
That's a lot of words for saying this game hasn't aged well and you shouldn't have any expectations for it.

>> No.7284830

>>7281193
Thematically it is a difficult game to top. It's worthy of being a classic based on that alone.

>> No.7284862

>>7282319
Are any of the psx or ps2 evil dead games worth checking out?

>> No.7284907

>>7281193
This is an issue with games when you believe the hype. It's an okay game if you like that type of survival horror. I learned to not take what people say too seriously when it comes to media. I let myself decide if something is great.

>> No.7284973

>>7281193
>The game deliberately hides crucial information from you if not outright feeding you falsehoods (Mary died 3 years ago) just to make it work.

Such is the nature of Silent Hill. James' trauma made him forget the incident, his sexual frustration as Mary grew sicker and sicker manifested as Maria, the lying figures and the nurses and his guilt and need for punishment became Pyramid Head.
The town turns itself into a crazy mindscape themepark as twisted psychotherapy for James that leads him to uncover the truth.

Of course that's only if a shiba-inu didn't orchestrate it all.

>> No.7285002

>>7284730
It did look that way on CRTs and monitors up to 1024x768px.

>> No.7285009

Funny how no one yet mentioned that the game's plot is a shameless rip-off of Bruges-la-Morte, in particular its stage play version Die tote Stadt. Including the names and everything.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruges-la-Morte
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_tote_Stadt

>When the opera opens, Paul, a younger middle-class man whose young wife, Marie, has recently died, cannot come to terms with the sad reality of her death. He keeps a "Temple of Memories" in her honour, including paintings, photographs and a lock of her hair. When his friend Frank pays him a visit at his house and urges him to honour Marie by moving on with his life, Paul flies into a rage and insists that Marie "still lives." He tells Frank that he has met a woman on the streets of Bruges who exactly resembles Marie (indeed, Paul thinks that she is Marie) and invited her back to his home.

>Soon the woman, Marietta, a young and beautiful dancer, appears for her rendezvous with Paul. They talk, she is put off by his odd behaviour, but persists in trying to interest him with her charms—she sings (Lute Song, "Glück das mir verblieb") and dances seductively, but eventually gets bored and leaves. Paul meanwhile is driven into a state of extreme anxiety.

>Torn between his loyalty to Marie and his interest in Marietta he collapses into a chair and begins to hallucinate. He sees Marie's ghost step out of her portrait and urge him not to forget her, but then the vision of Marie changes and tells Paul to move on with his life.

>> No.7285024
File: 48 KB, 480x640, s-l640.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7285024

>>7284862
Features both Bruce and Ted Raimi in yet another branching off timeline from Evil Dead 2.

>> No.7285642

>>7285009
It's a ripoff of Pride and Prejudice

>> No.7286227

>>7285009
It's because this has been mentioned in countless threads before this. There is barely any original works in these postmodern days, all work is inspired, adapted or copied from something else that exists

>> No.7286234

>>7283735
But is it though? Are Angela and Eddie part of his imagination too? What about the dead guy in the street at the start who left the pages of notes about the monsters?

>> No.7286557
File: 1.66 MB, 1920x1080, you mad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7286557

>>7281193
filtered

>> No.7286574

>>7283735
No its not. The gods of SH manifest whats in James' head into physical form. Its a hellscape thats tailored to him, but its real.
>>7286234
No, they're like James. Eddie receives his own torment and goes crazy from it. Likewise Angela succumbs to the various manifestations of her abuse and murdering her father. The only one who is spared is Laura. She's an innocent child so there's nothing to torture her, her SH is just empty because she's lonely.

>> No.7286584

>>7284546
>Mary is actually in Silent Hill or at least her soul.

BS, how realistic is it that she went there, sick as fuck? He killed her and went to dump her corpse.

>> No.7286626

>>7284546
Masahiro Ito confirmed Mary was in the car the whole time.
https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/196960739410460672

>> No.7286723

>>7286626

Be wary of some developer saying "actually" like 20 years later. They have regrets or change their minds when they wrote it originally. I always take these with a grain of salt. Matsudo says for instance that Ovelia doesn't die when she's stabbed in the end-scene even though that seems to be the obvious intention.

>>7286584

James kills Mary in the real world and she's a corpse on her bed at their house. But her soul moves onto Silent Hill waiting for James in a kind of purgatory. Maria is the main thing blocking James from accessing her and he has to kill her and get over his delusions to see her, to see the truth. When they do they have their last goodbyes. Or maybe she's a memory of Mary and not really the real person's soul. Whatever.

>> No.7286770

>>7283735
No it's not you fucking retard and this is a huge common misconception about how the supernatural threat in SH works. All the monsters are 100% real physical manifestations, and there are also no "alternate dimensions" or whatever. The games take place in the real world 100% of the time.

>> No.7286782

>>7286770

Then what happened to the town and the citizens? Why isn't the military surrounding the city?

>> No.7286783

>>7286770
It works that way in the other games, but in 2 Laura never sees any monsters except for James and Eddie, and Eddie never sees PH.

>> No.7286797

proof that allowing 6th gen on /vr/ was a mistake #21574

>> No.7286806

>>7286782
Silent Hill is a largely abandoned resort town inhabited only by cult members and those who have been "called" to the town, like James.
>>7286783
The monsters don't appear to non-guilty parties. Laura is just a little girl so she can't be guilty of anything. The monsters are still real, they're just "layered" onto reality only appearing to and interacting with those who have "business" with the town, just like the other aspects of the foggy and nightmare "worlds". As for Eddie and PH, they probably just simply never crossed paths. Why would the town send bother to send PH after anyone who's not James?

>> No.7286809
File: 139 KB, 749x1090, ELyfxgFVUAAzz8O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7286809

Nani?

>> No.7286810

>>7286806
>they're just "layered" onto reality
I see what you mean, although that kind of sounds like an alternate dimension. And I think the point of Eddie not seeing PH is because Eddie wasn't really remorseful for what he did, so he didn't have any kind of self-punishment figure.

>> No.7286817

>>7286810
If it was an alternate dimension, James and Laura wouldn't be able to interact with eachother with Laura seeing the non-spooky town and James seeing the foggy/dark version, as they do numerous times throughout the game.

>> No.7286834

>>7286817
An alternate dimension wouldn't necessarily have to be exactly like being on another planet. It's like how James sees a lot of water, while Angela sees fire, and the fight with Eddie takes place in a freezer with cold air. Angela said her world is always on fire, which might've just been a metaphor, but if that's how it really was for her in-game then it was like an alternate dimension that eventually opened up to James. Or maybe just "altered reality" is a more suitable description.

>> No.7287001

>>7286809
Wtf happened there.

>> No.7287003

>>7286806
>Silent Hill is a largely abandoned resort town

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

>> No.7287091

>>7287003
Number One: In 1945, Silent Hill's population was 50% tourists; now it's about 5%. Number Two: In 1900, 90% of Silent Hillians were self employed in tourist attractions; now it's about 2%... It's called consolidation; strengthen cults and drug dealers, weaken individuals. With magic, this can be done imperceptibly over time.

>> No.7287151
File: 34 KB, 359x499, 139.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7287151

>I dislike a particular praised game
>Now I must make biased blog post about my personal experience
>I need attention

>> No.7287192

>>7287091
>Silent Hillians

To this day I had never thought about what a citizen of that fair city was called until today.

>> No.7287682

>>7287001
Realized he was talking to a furry.

>> No.7288616

>>7287001
Japanese devs are fucking spergs and it's impossible to get a straight, honest answer out of them.

>> No.7288651

>>7285009
It's not a rip off. It's heavily inspired by it which actually elevates the game by drawing from plays and literature. Pathologic drew similar heavy inspiration from several dramatic pieces and books, and no one calls IPL hacks.

>> No.7288658

>>7287151
As retarded as OP is, you're asking people to not talk about video games on a video game board, you wojack spamming spastic.

>> No.7288662

>>7282031
>Survival Horror ARE "action" games. It's part of the definition of the genre.

You can't be serious

>> No.7288678

>>7281193
I dont think you understand the game at all and why it is ground breaking. You only understand everything youve been told. Let me guess, you are 14 yeats old.

>> No.7288683

>>7281193
>James doesn't remember anything?
you got it wrong, he was such a nutcase that he denied it enough to brainwash himself into forgetting

>> No.7288685
File: 256 KB, 1920x1080, 1279114.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7288685

>>7282182
I can understand if your favorite type of horror is the one that games like RE does, but SH at first was NEVER made to be another campy survival horror game. Sure it was asked to be like that, but the creators preferred to take an approach into psychological horror, and the use of imagery.

What makes the original SH games so beloved by many is the atmosphere, the music, the stuff that can be left to interpretation, the uncanniness of it all, amongst other things.

All of that is what makes people say SH2 is a top tier game feeling clunky, slow, and repetitive to a point. SH was never about the gameplay. The fact that every non-Team Silent SH game was basically trying to replicate 2 and 3 is part of why theyre never talked about.

>> No.7288698

>>7282026
I can remember a few jump scares in SH but it isn’t the main way to generate fear.

>> No.7288707
File: 17 KB, 879x421, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7288707

>>7281201
>>7281249
>>7282503
>>7282692
>>7282716
cope and seethe
this is 4chan's age distribution from a thread from 2020*, in just 5 years the left number will be above 50%
*source: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/502889391

>> No.7290328

SH2 is one of the few games where I really think anyone who says it's overrated is literally just trying to be contrarian on purpose - sure it might be dated now but it's a really fucking cool game

>> No.7290384
File: 468 KB, 500x400, 506.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7290384

>>7288683
Its not a lie if you believe it

>> No.7290716

>>7290328
It might just be a reaction to all the people who try to say SH2 is literally perfect. Could end up actually causing reactions like OP's because they end up feeling like they were lied to. I love the game and it is really cool, but I've always hated when I'd try to talk about its shortcoming and would get weird defensive responses. Kind of glad I played the game before knowing what the fanbase could be like.

>> No.7291881

>>7287001
Japs can't take the minimun criticism

>> No.7291892

>>7290716
The "SH2 is perfect" crowd doesn't even exist anymore and hasn't been relevant for years. There is no more circlejerk. The game is routinely criticized and ripped apart as any highly acclaimed old game has been.

>> No.7292084

>>7291892
>The "SH2 is perfect" crowd doesn't even exist anymore and hasn't been relevant for years.
Eh, it feels like it's been dwindling but even last year there were still plenty when I was trying to talk about it.

>> No.7292224

>>7291892
I noticed a lot more people like 3 now and say its their favorite. I liked 3 a lot but is curious how more and more people claim thats the best one.

I think the problem with 2 is that some people would pretend is perfect because the game is already praised but others will pretend is shit just to be contrarians. Whether you do it to fit in or be edgy, basing your opinions on the fandoms rather than the game itself is retarded and is a behaviour that plagues every videogame board.

>> No.7292230
File: 45 KB, 165x218, Crispydead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7292230

>>7292224
Well hey don't look at me, 3 has been my favorite since I was a kid. I imagine it's contrarian backlash against 2 that's making 3 more popular now. I think all of the Team Silent games are masterpieces in their own right, even 4.

>> No.7292257

>>7286227
>all work is inspired, adapted or copied from something else that exists
what a dumb comment, all work has been like that since forever, unless you count cave paintings and even that was a crude copy from nature

>> No.7292279
File: 36 KB, 680x470, eb1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7292279

>>7292224
Mostly see people just talking about how much they like Heather but I think some people like that it was more horror than 2. Not sure how many of them played 1 though, a lot of people only seem to play 2+.

>> No.7292293

>>7291881
or maybe he is tired of american furfags accosting him over lore details on an almost two decade old game, He probably said that after even more furfags started coming in the conversation,

There was one other director who they asked about his hostile demeanor on twitter and he explicitly said he was tired of westerners always repeating questions and talking about his older games when he really just want to talk about their current projects which japanese fans are more likely to ask them about. I think it was the viewtiful joe guy, he will just outright block you if you come at him with this type of stuff

>> No.7292306

>>7292230
i loved 3 and i can understand it being someone's favorite, just funny to notice how common consensus seems to shift over time.

>>7292279
1 is the most nostalgic for me, i had only good memories of playing that game with my best friend. I think you might be onto something with 2 vs 3, i personally liked the more depressed atmosphere and story of 2 but 3 was still fantastic on its own right and i would agree heather is a great character design. 4 is a bit more hit or miss for me.

>> No.7292592

>>7292257
... That's why I said all work is copied from previous ideas. It was only in the last 100 ish years that it was coined postmodern.

>> No.7292669

>>7286809
Holy shit this is golden. Based Masahiro Ito

>> No.7292706

>>7281193
For its time, it was a magnificent game. Every game at that point had sought to position itself in whatever genre it was in. This was among the first games to blur the lines.

That said, it is a clunky game but once you get your mind into it it can be rewarding as a story that unfolds.

At the end of the day, it's a video game. Take it or leave it. To look too deeply seeking something profound is obtuse.

>> No.7292707

>>7292706
>At the end of the day, it's a video game.

SH2 is more than a game, it's a masterpiece of true Art. It is bigger than Jesus.

>> No.7294765

>>7281193
I prefer SH1. Actually fulfills on the promise of exploring the town of "Silent Hill", with god-tier atmosphere/sound design. It's less character-focused than SH2 but there's nothing wrong with that. SH2 as a psychological/horror experience is less impactful and basically treats Silent Hill itself as an afterthought (it only gets interesting when it moves away from Silent Hill and goes off the rails).
Pyramid Head might be the most overrated antagonist in all of gaming, he is extraordinarily silly and non-threatening (outside of one basically scripted chase sequence). Sure the design itself looks cool, and there's some hamfisted symbolism to go along with it, but the execution was bad. Not even CLOSE to Nemesis, who doesn't have the same kind of "symbolism" but is far more memorable in his actual game rather than just on paper.
Silent Hill's gameplay in general is trash and is not even close to classic Resident Evil in any regard (controls, combat, resource management, level design, etc). That's not to say classic Resident Evil is perfect but it was made by people who actually knew what they were doing.
What made the original Silent Hill not simply a worse Resident Evil, to me, was exploring the town. Not quite an open world but certainly looser than RE's map design. It crafted an identity as a exploration-focused survival horror with stellar atmosphere in a mysterious illogical world, with less than stellar core mechanics. SH2 removed what made SH1 interesting in favor of a more conventional/cinematic character-focused plot.

>> No.7295262

>>7281193
>I don't understand why SH2 is praised so much
every day

every
single
day

>> No.7295315

GOOOOOOO FUCK YOURSELF
>tfw no mary

>> No.7295693

>>7281193
>Still keeps pasta copying the same shit
>Everyone falls to it
https://desuarchive.org/vr/thread/7094764/#q7095253
>didn't like it
>it's been overhyped
>boring as fuck
These are typical vague opinions based on personal taste that people use to attack games from a specific genre that they hate.
>the gameplay is terribly repetitive, environments are bland and uninteresting
At least this is a real argument and you are right, but you can't expect a psychological horror game to be fun and dynamic like other action games. The best horror themed game that gets close to that is Devil May Cry with the gameplay the environment and the voice acting to fit your taste and this is great for an action game but not for this genre because horror don't go well with fun gameplay and sexy looks, Resident Evil improved their gameplay and failed as psychological horror because of that.
>characters are awkward in a bad way and don't act or speak naturally at all
SH2 is a game full of people suffering of panic depression schizophrenia amnesia while being trapped in a foggy town full of weird things happening. How do you expect them to act naturally under those circumstances? The little girl (Laura) was the only one acting naturally and I will explain why.

>James doesn't remember anything?
But you also forgot about the other characters that repress their memories. Angela was repressing the father she killed for abusing her. Eddie was trying to repress the fact he was humiliated for being overweight for having excessive eating disorder. James was repressing his lust for his wife. Angela was repressing her wrath for her father. Eddie was repressing his gluttony for his pizza.

Laura wasn't repressing anything at all because she had no sin just like James' wife which is why the town had a different positive affect over them. Everyone is affected differently by the town depending on the sins they repress. Only after facing the sins they free themselves from their own nightmare

>> No.7295971

>>7295693
>characters are awkward in a bad way and don't act or speak naturally at all
>SH2 is a game full of people suffering of panic depression schizophrenia amnesia while being trapped in a foggy town full of weird things happening. How do you expect them to act naturally under those circumstances?
I don't think the problem is that they're acting unnaturally, sometimes it just comes across as awkward for the wrong reasons like a bad acting take and can feel a bit hamfisted. The quality goes up and down though and sometimes it's really good, just not always.

>Laura wasn't repressing anything at all because she had no sin just like James' wife which is why the town had a different positive affect over them.
I don't think the town necessarily had a positive effect on them. Mary is still dead and I don't think the game definitively says if James was really talking to her or if it was just in his head. But I think the point of Laura not seeing any monsters was to emphasize that James and Eddie were monsters in some ways since they're the only people she sees throughout the game.

>> No.7295978

>>7281193
It's a pseud game for pseuds.
I did not care for Silent Hill 2. It insists upon itself.

>> No.7295984

>>7295978
>It insists upon itself.
what did he mean by this

>> No.7296006

>>7295984
Something that insists upon itself is something that is pretentious and ostentatious.

>> No.7296017

>>7294765
You know what's better than both? Carrier on Sega Dreamcast. Imagine Resident Evil 1, but without the shit that makes it a pain in the ass to actually play. Plus the monsters are even more horrifying (humanoid plant abominations vs plain-old boring zombies) and it actually runs at 60 fps in some parts.

>> No.7296046

>>7281193
I got really into SH1 right from the moment the demo released and I and my brother and friends were obsessed with it. SH2 came out and it was also amazing. Now I always hear about SH2 and rarely about 1 and it bothers me because I think it's ok to think 2 is better even though I prefer 1 I just don't like that it's glossed over. That being said I don't hate on 2 now, it deserves its reputation.

>> No.7296067

>>7296006
That sounds like a really pretentious and ostentatious of saying that.

>> No.7296072

>>7281381
only thing that's 10/10 from sh 2 is the music and cutscenes, that's enough to make me content with the experience.

>> No.7296769
File: 47 KB, 480x270, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7296769

>>7295971
>sometimes it just comes across as awkward for the wrong reasons like a bad acting take
I agree to the fact that these were not the best dub cast. You can't expect them to afford a big movie cast like Kojima does. His games are called moviegames because of the good acting. But his good acting wouldn't fit well in a game with a weird setting like SH. So the weird acting was probably intentional.
>I don't think the town necessarily had a positive effect on them (Laura and Mary).
Mary wrote the later calling SH their "special place" and inviting her love one to join her. SH was literally a paradise to her. Laura could be seeing playing with toys inside creepy places like the hospital or walking happy in the foggy streets. SH was a playground to her. Both Laura and Mary did not see the monsters or even the creepy environment as the others saw because they had nothing to fear because their conscious were clear.
>Mary is still dead and I don't think the game definitively says if James was really talking to her or if it was just in his head.
The game is not supposed to say much. But everyone seem dead. You can at least see 3 graves named after some of them (James,Angela,Eddie) at some point in the game, and there was a reason for this. Which is why many believe the Water ending is the only suitable ending for James. Because it was a way to accept the fact he was already dead. Just like when Angela walked through fire on the stairs without feeling a thing. But this only happens after facing their sins and understanding what is happening. Only then they could join Mary's paradise perhaps.
>But I think the point of Laura not seeing any monsters was to emphasize that James and Eddie were monsters in some ways since they're the only people she sees throughout the game.
James, Eddie and Angela were monsters in a way. Because they were sinners. But their sins transformed into monsters that could only affect them. Laura can't see Mary though, but she is the one closest

>> No.7296940
File: 68 KB, 375x500, D_NQ_NP_782128-MLM41393178121_042020-O.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7296940

I thought 4 was better than 2 and I know I have good taste

>> No.7297483

>>7296940
Let me guess. You played 4 first

>> No.7297629
File: 59 KB, 840x473, rabbits-david-lynch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7297629

>>7281732
>I felt like the first half of the game in particular wasn't very fun to actually get through, but I enjoyed it a lot more once I reached the prison.
The game was never intended to be fun to play. Because this is not DMC and the player is supposed to feel bad like James. Call that a zoomer filter. The only thing that makes this game "fun" is the story, music and art design. And the reason why the game started to get interesting or fun to you later, is because you are a boomer patient enough to wait till you start to get the story.
>People compare it to David Lynch movies but in those it seems like people talk naturally, it's just what they're actually saying makes things feel surreal.
It's actually the exact opposite of that. I my self compared SH2 with Blue Velvet. I know many DL fans will hate me saying this. But DL movies it's not about "what" they say, its about "how" they say or how they show which they always hide. DL's "surreal" dialogue is made by long pauses and mix of words to leave most things unsaid just to create confusion. SH devs are fans of his work and added some of this technique specially in the dialogue between James and Angela. But in this case it didn't seem intentionally weird like in DL's movies because most of the things from their dialogue was actually hard to talk in a real conversation like abuse, death and monsters.

And also what makes the game more interesting than those DL movies is the deep story that connects to these dialogues. From most DL movies you just get empty symbolisms without deep connections which is fine if you'd rather see regular people talking weird just for talking weird. This is just to raise questions that can't be answered. In SH you at least get a few answers. So you won't see much discussions about DL's work or a whole wiki explaining his movies because he don't give enough answers for that. And when you miraculously find some answers they're not very surprising or interesting to talk about

>> No.7297802
File: 49 KB, 540x378, D7RG2F4WwAECawh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7297802

>>7297629
>The game was never intended to be fun to play.
I meant "fun" as in the gameplay has some kind of pull to keep me interested. 1 does that for me more than 2 due to it having more enemy variety, but in 2 it feels like the combat is a bit mindless and too easy. I like that the atmosphere, music, etc. can cause uneasy and bad feelings, but I don't think the gameplay should try to do that by feeling dull.

>But DL movies it's not about "what" they say, its about "how" they say or how they show which they always hide. DL's "surreal" dialogue is made by long pauses and mix of words to leave most things unsaid just to create confusion.
I suppose it's a mix of both. I had pic related in mind when thinking of how the way he speaks is a bit sinister, but other than that it's not overtly bizarre. But what he's saying makes you wonder what the fuck he's talking about rather than the way he said it. I enjoyed the symbolism of the exploding shack going in reverse in Lost Highway, although it wasn't particularly deep and didn't require much thought to figure out what it meant, it had a good presentation.

>> No.7298612

>>7286557
She looks just like him but in a dress. No wonder he killed her.

>> No.7298667

>>7296006
for a dumbass with 80iq anything above Halo is gonna come off as pretentious

>> No.7298761

>>7281193
SH2 did everything better than SH1, except the gameplay. That's why SH3 is my favorite, I feel like overall it's a better game
>>7296940
SH4 has the same problem. It has a great concept and good story, but the gameplay kinda sucks. Silent Hill fans always say "is just because you aren't a trained soldier" and stuff like that, but the truth is that SH always had bad or meh gameplay, and I say as someone who loves almost every SH game, even some of the post-Team Silent games.

>> No.7298829

>>7281193
>SH2
Overrated. Overhyped. SH3 is better.

>> No.7298946

>>7296067
Ssince when is quoting Family Guy pretentious?

>> No.7299254

>>7297802
>"We've met before, haven't we? At your house. Don't you remember? As a matter of fact, I'm there right now. At your house."
That scene on your pic. I just forgot about that. I freaked out when I saw that on TV. I wish that David Lynch added more of that in his movies. I was impressed how straight forward that was after all his subtle dialogue gets boring. This was also added in SH2. The only difference is that Mary says "our town" instead of "our house".
>"Well, I'm alone there now... In our 'special place'... Waiting for you... Waiting for you to
come to see me"

>> No.7299274

>>7298946
>quoting Family Guy
so its not that is pretentious, you are just retarded

>> No.7299357

>>7299274
The "insists upon itself" is from Family Guy, the definition is from the first page of Google when you search "insists upon itself meaning".

>> No.7299384

>>7281193
>knowing how much praise a game has before you play it
That is something most kids didn't do back in the day and we had more fun, and made our own opinions.

>> No.7299807

>>7281201
Not an argument

>> No.7299814

>>7299384
except this not true and gaming magazines informed much of the public opinion. Even the early internet did, even though people only pretend the internet only existed since facebook became a thing but even in the 90s people were sperging on it and kids were looking for info there.

>> No.7301142

ITT zoomies get filtered by Lost Highway: The Game

>> No.7301547

>>7282670
>soomer faggot doesn't know anything about anything
Shocking. Silent Hill was inspired by Jacob's Ladder.

>> No.7301972

>>7281249
>zoomer cannot comprehend the concept of a man breaking down and losing his mind after mercy killing his wife and losing all sense of time and the walls of reality shattering around him
Because that shit doesn't happen. Repressed memories are fake news and there has never been a single proven case of it. The WHO doesn't even acknowledge it as real. If you fell for this, you're the real zoomer.

>> No.7302157

>>7301972
>Because that shit doesn't happen.
It does, sort of. Not exactly how it happens in the game, but I remember reading a news article about this guy who was a caretaker for people with mental disabilities. He was driving one around in a van and parked while waiting for something, but had the air conditioner turned off and fell asleep. By the time he woke up the person in the back that he was driving around had already overheated and died because he was severely disabled and couldn't communicate or get himself out. He said when he realized what happened, he just panicked and rushed home to get a gun so he could kill himself, and only stopped because his mother was there to talk him down. I'm guessing during that time he wasn't thinking too much about what happened, he probably just went on autopilot while it felt like he was in a nightmare.

Obviously he would've been freaking out and wouldn't be calm like James was a lot of the time, but it wouldn't have worked well for SH2's story if you had James in a constant freakout state right from the beginning.

>> No.7302236

>>7302157
That's not repressed memory or anything even similar to it. That actually sounds closer to temporary insanity where he loses control of himself.

>> No.7302247

>>7301972
your uncle fondled you dude, just accept it and move on

>> No.7302253

>>7301547
both twin peaks and jacobs ladder have been quoted as reference. The latter makes more sense to me.

I actually tried to get into lynch after playing the games, i hate his movies and i hate twin peaks, but i still love silent hill

>> No.7302269

>>7301972
man imagina taking literal what is meant to just be metaphoric representation of grief and personal moral conflicts, yeah man, dudes with pyramid heads just don't attack people, doesn't happen , maybe is a literary resource, i dunno.

>> No.7302271
File: 162 KB, 500x648, 1398949201631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7302271

>>7281193

The actual gameplay, level design and challenge is straight up garbage, but nobody ever talks about that because it was babby's first subtext simulator.

SH1 was genuinely good all-round, though.

>> No.7302365

>>7302269
>doesn't happen , maybe is a literary resource, i dunno.
As a literary resource it's still shit because it's just a way to camp in two mystery/thriller sins into one, I.E. the Unreliable narrator + Chinaman medicine. It allows you to write your story as bullshit as you want, lie to the players face, then claim pseudo-science as your protection.

>> No.7302398
File: 46 KB, 447x387, 32.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7302398

>>7282110
every time, this shit is gold

>> No.7302798

>>7302271
this i see why japs hated it absolute butchering of the game portion

>> No.7302808

>>7302798
Japs hated Silent Hill 2?

>> No.7302817

>>7282110
lol

>> No.7302827
File: 54 KB, 739x187, sh2jp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7302827

>>7302808

>> No.7303265

>>7281193

my sister is playing SH2 r8 now she thinks it is cool af
https://clips.twitch.tv/LittleBlightedLobsterHotPokket

>> No.7303614

I think story is the only thing this game has going for it. I dont blame you for not liking sh2 op, I didnt either.

I did like the twist a lot and thought it was well delivered, at least. The rest of the game is just too boring.

>> No.7303659

>>7303614
SH2 is a really good atmospheric album video game. There's more to the game then just some twist, the tonal inflections from each moment is pretty engaging. Silent Hill is probably the only "ambient album" with a video game set to it and I think SH2 best embodies that concept.

>> No.7303735

>>7285009
Because I don't pay any mind to "rip-offs" unless I have reasonable evidence to believe the creator experienced the prior work before making the current work beyond a simple timeline. I don't believe that whole spiel about "every work is inspired, adapted, or copied", because I've seen bigger coincidences happen, and it's not like this story did anything that I haven't dissected in other thriller/mystery stories for years prior.

>> No.7303947
File: 543 KB, 809x867, 1587447250707.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7303947

>>7303735
You can dissect everything to death. Discovering that something didn't invent themes wholesale and dissecting everything to atoms is a cancerous way of going about life.

>Oh man, didn't you know that betrayal, tragedy and regret has all been done before, best not bother
You're not being critical or intelligent, you're just a cunt. Furthermore having a narrative like this translated into a video game is in itself novel because this medium does not have a wellspring of stories such as that. If I want to play a video game that conveys an experience like this the list is very short. SH2 might very well still be one of a kind.

>> No.7303993

It's not very good at being scary.
And I know it's not retro (neither is SH2) but Advanced Education with Viktor Strobovski is unironically scarier and more stressful than any Silent Hill, let alone 2.

>> No.7304167

SH2 was ruined by its awful fanbase that treats it like the second coming but it’s honestly an amazing and unique horror game. There’s very little else like it and it’s sad most zoomies are probably too ADHD to get it. For example >>7303993 talks about how some shitty baldi basic ripoff is more “stressful” and “scary” but those things have never been what SH2 is about. The game is more about a somber, depressive, nihilistic type of horror. Even OP talks about how boring it is. No doubt he probably thought it’d be like fnaf or slenderman or some other zoomie jump scare shit game.

>> No.7304172

>>7304167
>Even OP talks about how boring it is.
I thought it was boring the first time I played it too, because the first time I play a game I mainly focus on the gameplay which SH2 doesn't do so well with a lot of the time. It was only after replaying SH1 and still enjoying it that I figured I might as well replay 2, and that was when I was able to appreciate everything else that the game actually does well, even though I think the gameplay is still not great it was more tolerable since I had gotten used to it by that point and could just get through it quicker.

>> No.7304432

Will always be in my top 25. I don't see it ever leaving my favorites list.

>> No.7304456

>>7302253
>mentally suffering from your past crimes
Twin Peaks being some inspiration also is unsurprising. Probably inspired the setting.

>> No.7304486

>>7302271
This. How come all the people who suck off this game never mention the gameplay? There are two enemy types for the majority of the game, the boss battles are all terrible (fire a shot or two, run to the opposite corner, repeat), almost everything requires opening a menu, it's a broken lock simulator...

If they had actually focused more on making a game than an "interactive experience", it would be much more enjoyable to play, and this could be done without compromising le deep story too. As it is, they should've just made it a point and click game since there's almost 0 challenge in the gameplay. It's ironic that the same people who lambast modern "movie games" hold this game in high regard.

>> No.7304612
File: 37 KB, 300x451, nurses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7304612

>>7304486
>It's ironic that the same people who lambast modern "movie games" hold this game in high regard.

It's the first high profile game I can remember to prioritise story over gameplay to the extent that its gameplay barely exists. Yeah, it's pretty much the precursor of modern 'hold forward to win the story' games.

>> No.7304846
File: 797 KB, 1767x1387, SLUS-00594-F-ALL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7304846

>>7304486
>ironic that the same people who lambast modern "movie games" hold this game in high regard.

>> No.7304858

>>7302271
>>7281193
Because what it lacked in gameplay it made up for in atmosphere 10 fold.

It holds up very well today. Visually and as an experience.

>> No.7304865

>>7303735
>Because I don't pay any mind to "rip-offs"
you are just a teenager that is only now realizing everything is inspired by something else and goes "aksually i wikipediad some older shit that is similar ergo you can't like the thing." The most insufferable phase.

>>7302365
Look at zoomer, he just found Tv tropes! look at him go!

>> No.7304880
File: 316 KB, 1280x960, DSC00116.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7304880

>>7304846

MGS1 has ten times the depth, challenge, variety and player agency of SH2.

>> No.7305241
File: 32 KB, 256x389, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7305241

>>7304880
Try to imagine James running like a trained agent rolling on the ground, jumping far, grabbing ledges. Monsters acting like human soldiers, sounding alarms, calling reinforcements when you get spotted. Are you sure you are comparing the right genre?
>>7301972
>Repressed memories are fake news and there has never been a single proven case of it
Can't say for sure if this is possible but SH2 was never based on facts but fiction. Even Hitchcock made a movie (Marnie) about repressive memories and SH's Angela had much in common with the lady in that movie. You just reminded me of another inspiration used in the game

>> No.7305295

>>7304167
>The game is more about a somber, depressive, nihilistic type of horror.
Which translates as boring to zoomers. This is the best zoomer proof game ever created.

>> No.7305436

>>7304167
I played and enjoyed it, it just wasn't scary.

>> No.7305458
File: 10 KB, 229x220, rg45.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7305458

>>7304880
>MGS1 has ten times the depth, challenge, variety and player agency of SH2.
>walk 3 steps, listen to a half hour audiobook of
b movie overexposition
>the entire gameplay of the game is basically that part of Ocarina where you hide from guards on hirule castle
2deep4u

>> No.7305675
File: 426 KB, 540x543, tumblr_inline_pnf1xtspi71siuafn_540.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7305675

>>7305241
>Are you sure you are comparing the right genre?

One can compare any number of vastly superior horror titles to SH2 and watch it get roundly trounced in the gameplay department due to the discrepancy between solid risk/reward mechanics, difficulty and crucial decision-making. Even SH1 thoroughly fucks SH2 in the ass.

>> No.7305882

>>7304612
>its gameplay barely exists
Thanks for showing you never played it. What then were all those boss battles, or that ingenious part where you use the ketchup to fake your death?

>> No.7305892

>>7284730
It does look pretty kino still.

>> No.7305921

>>7305882

I'm talking about Silent Hill 2 you stupid fuck

>> No.7306340

>>7303947
>Discovering that something didn't invent themes wholesale and dissecting everything to atoms is a cancerous way of going about life.
This is both retarded and anti-science. The point of dissection is analysis. If you're too brainlet to even comprehend that, I genuinely don't think your opinion has any value to anything.

>>7304865
>you are just a teenager
lolwut? I'm literally advocating for the opposite, you authentic chimp.

>Look at zoomer
Also me, by the way. And not an argument.

>>7305241
>Can't say for sure if this is possible but SH2 was never based on facts but fiction
But it's a bad fiction tool used by the unintelligent or the lazy to force a twist past the reader without the good faith to present evidence or clues. It's only saving grace was that it seemed plausible, and the only way to became plausible as an idea was because of fringe psychology that was largely based on findings from hypnosis, which is already a contentious enough to begin with. The whole thing from top to bottom is shit on top of turtles.

>> No.7306369

>>7306340
>This is both retarded and anti-science
The fuck are you going on about?

>> No.7306451

>>7305921
No need to be a dickfaced niggerhead about it you retarded faggot

>> No.7306583

>>7305675
>One can compare any number of vastly superior horror titles to SH2 and watch it get roundly trounced in the gameplay department due to the discrepancy between solid risk/reward mechanics, difficulty and crucial decision-making.
We can compare games that better used the mechanics as you mentioned like Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry, but did gameplay helped them become I better horror experience than SH2? Should a horror title focus on gameplay like they do? Are you sure you still got the genre or you just want to score rewards to kill as much zombies as you can? You zoomies decide
>Even SH1 thoroughly fucks SH2 in the ass.
In gameplay YES, but in horror NO. It was a very short horror experience and RE2 still had better gameplay but not better horror. Do you get what I mean zoomie? Horror vs Gameplay?
>>7306340
>without the good faith to present evidence or clues
SH2 had clues everywhere from the start, from monsters design to subtle dialogues to items with symbolism, but these were meant to be subtle and not for zoomers to be spoon fed

>> No.7306681

>>7306583
>SH2 had clues everywhere from the start
Lying to your face is the opposite of a clue.
>monsters design to subtle dialogues to items with symbolism
Symbolism that only works retroactively after you discover how the game is lying to you. Not clue.

>> No.7307479

>>7306583
>Devil May Cry, but did gameplay helped them become I better horror experience than SH2?
In some ways, yes. With SH2 there's almost no tension from the combat, it actually just gets to be kind of boring because you never really feel threatened. With DMC1 even the basic puppet enemies can quickly take you down if you're not careful, so there's more feeling of tension and danger and I think that benefits the atmosphere. And most people seem to think of DMC as comical but halfway through 1 when everything gets dark there's a lot more feeling of dread and the gameplay didn't take anything away from that for me.

>>Even SH1 thoroughly fucks SH2 in the ass.
>In gameplay YES, but in horror NO.
I'm curious as to why you feel like 2 does horror better than 1. I like 2's bleak and depressing atmosphere and soundtrack, but 1 having more harsh industrial music just put me on edge in a way that 2 didn't. Same thing with the noises monsters make, in 1 they just sounded more visceral and disturbing to me.

>> No.7308298

>>7307479
Better battle gameplay spoil the horror experience. You could have a better battle experience in SH2 if you play in hard mode but I don't think that was intended. It was probably to please RE fans. In RE you play as a trained agent, in SH as a regular person in a bad state, so you can't expect a zombie shooter challenge.

I was a zoomer myself when SH first came up and hated the lack of challenge compared to RE games. But later on I learned that psychological horror don't need this kind of gameplay at all. You could avoid every enemy without any boss fights and enjoy the experience.

>With SH2 there's almost no tension from the combat, it actually just gets to be kind of boring because you never really feel threatened.
If you want a bigger challenge like a RE game try playing in hard mode. But if you want better horror experience try using only melee weapons and avoiding enemies as much as you can.
>I'm curious as to why you feel like 2 does horror better than 1.
1 is indeed more harsh and visceral and this is better if you're into quick scares. 2 is another type of horror. It's a more subtle deep psychological kind of horror. Not the one for quick scares but to keep you wondering long afterwards and this is what makes it more disturbing. You don't get scared at first but you get later once you start to realize some of the meaning behind the game.

>> No.7308553
File: 238 KB, 640x480, SilentHill_Nurses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7308553

>>7306583
>Should a horror title focus on gameplay like they do?

Um, yes? If a game fails at being a game, it's useless. If I want a horror experience without gameplay, I'll watch a horror movie or read a book.

But since you mention it, numerous Resident Evils, Dead Spaces, and Silent Hills have managed to offer solid gameplay and a superior horror experience to SH2.

>>7308298
>Better battle gameplay spoil the horror experience.
>But later on I learned that psychological horror don't need this kind of gameplay at all.

So you're pretentious, retarded, and illiterate too.

>> No.7308643

>>7308553
Horror in a game is supposed to cause fear of battle to make you avoid. Is more about being chased instead of chasing.

The only "gameplay" that is important in horror is:
>Looking for items
>Solving puzzles
>Hiding/escaping
>Focus should never be on how to kill the enemy but how to avoid it

SH2 as SH1 broke some of these rules to attract RE fans to their franchise by adding guns and almost turned the game into a Zoombie Shooter. Does a bad battle system ruins a horror game? No because there's no need of battle at all because. The focus should be only on survival and escape. This is what horror gameplay is.

When I play SH games I avoid battles and when I need to fight I just use melee weapons and save guns for boss fights. I do feel it is a shame that you are required to fight bosses though

>> No.7308652

>>7308643
older me knows SH1 has enough ammo for an army and that you don't have to kill everything. But young me was shitting its pant due to the atmosphere alone, like the radio static suddenly activating , thinking it was an enemy then it turns out is a harmless child ghost but then realizing, fuck, a child ghost in a school is fucking sad. Its definitely a narrative experience

>>7308553
go eat a cock you snob faggot, literally all the games you mentioned are shit as horror media.

>> No.7309334

>>7308643
>I do feel it is a shame that you are required to fight bosses though
The point of fighting bosses is overcoming the mental suffering. At least in the case of SH2. In SH1, you're not getting your daughter back without fighting.

>> No.7311071

>>7309334
>The point of fighting bosses is overcoming (James') mental suffering.
Yes. James had to face his own sins and stand up against his own enemy which was himself and fight it so then he could realize that what was happening was caused by himself. That was the only way to set him free from the horror. In a way he was spoiling the horror, because once he face his enemy all his fear was gone.

>> No.7311961
File: 13 KB, 262x225, Clock_Tower_(1995_video_game_-_screenshot).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7311961

Here is a good example of a true horror game for those RE fans that don't get the genre.
>Clock Tower is a survival horror point-and-click adventure game with 2D graphics.
>Jennifer cannot use weapons against Scissorman. Instead the player must find hiding spots throughout the mansion which are key to Jennifer's survival, or use traps placed in the environment.

>> No.7314527

I liked Homecoming. Someone tell me why it sucks.

>> No.7314620

>>7308553
I feel like you're too stupid to understand that gameplay does not necessarily mean fighting. You don't even understand what gameplay is, it's not just shooting stuff and you have such a naive view of "gameplay" that you aren't capable of seeing that a horror game can have interaction without it. Which is gameplay as well but like I said you just have no idea what you are talking about.

>> No.7314896

>>7314527
cons:
Lame retread of SH2s story
Dull colorless environments with the same repeated assets over and over which is not to say the previous game didn't have that SH3 reuses a lot but most rooms in those games feel unique in homecoming you'll find the same slashed body repeated over and over and over and it's just cheap
Extremely gory for no reason
TERRIBLE combat
Broken PC port
Retread of the monsters from previous games
0 cool imagery
pros:
Cool bosses
The otherworld sometimes looked nice especially that transition effect though it was inspired by the SH movies and people hate them so they hate it as well by association

>> No.7316015

>>7292293
He'll block you for being a foreigner, it doesn't matter what you talk to him about

>> No.7316226

>>7304880
I like MGS1, but it really just is a b-movie. Albeit a good one, but a b-movie none the less. The stealth gameplay wasn't even as good as Thief The Dark Project nor Tenchu Stealth Assassins, both were released the same year as MGS1.

>> No.7316252

>>7314620

I feel like you're too stupid to understand that at no point did I say that gameplay is purely about fighting.

>> No.7316293
File: 48 KB, 600x1480, ItoTwtSH3Action.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7316293

>>7316015
Despite being rude to dildo sucking furries. He gives good attention to bugger lover westerns.

At this tweet you can see that their high ups hated SH2 as well and wanted SH3 to be an action shooter.

>> No.7316321

>>7316252
And neither did I say anything about horror games with no gameplay as you stated

>> No.7317324

>>7314896
>The otherworld sometimes looked nice especially that transition effect though it was inspired by the SH movies and people hate them so they hate it as well by association
SH1 did it first though it just doesn't look as visceral with it's PS1 graphics but it had a twist where the world transformed before your eyes.

>> No.7317336

>>7316293
>Despite being rude to dildo sucking furries
so fucking based

>> No.7318217

and these are the zoomers that are now creating and developing games

Its no surprise that all games the industry is selling are garbage

>> No.7318414

>>7318217
I've seen plenty of older devs who previously made great games start churning out garbage, I think in general people aren't sure of how to advance the medium anymore.

>> No.7320401
File: 395 KB, 1280x720, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7320401

>>7318414
SHPT was great but too short. And if the project continued it could surpass even some of the first games if it had used the same idea of psychological horror in 1st person and deep puzzle and plot solving.

PT was the first SH game to abandon the old combat element that ruined the horror genre.
>P.T. is in a first-person perspective. There are no weapons or combat system because, as Hideo Kojima explained, when players have weapons in their possession it lessens the sense of fear and helplessness.
Kojima's MG was the first game to force the player into non-combat gameplay situations. But I will not go as far and say that Kojima created Stealth because this would be stupid as saying that Mikami created Survival Horror. But I'm sure that Kojima is much better than Mikami on non-combat gameplay and I believe he could make a better horror experience by removing the old RE gameplay that SH old devs were forced to use

>> No.7320408

>>7320401
a movie game, didn't care for it at all, fuck Kojima, he is hack and would have ruined it all anyways

>> No.7320505

>>7281207
>>7281201
>>7281235
>>7281303
>>7281324

These profound arguments are amazing, it’s almost as if it’s nostalgia blinding its crowd. In reality, anything Konami puts panders to pretentious neckbeards, and all their games play like ass. I really recommend you dolts actually open up a book, these games, just like Resident Evil, are cringe, and it would be fine if they could descend into the so bad it’s good territory except you mongoloids are so desperate to validate your tastes in videogames that they never do.

>> No.7320514
File: 32 KB, 710x515, 14f09e9792939ed74f2dfbc39fb9d0224d-wojak-06.w710.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7320514

>>7320505
>I really recommend you dolts actually open up a book
oh my we have a book reader over here

>> No.7320825

>>7320514

Imagine making fun of someone for being literate lmao. Though, reading a book wouldn’t seem so lofty if you spergs picked one up.

>> No.7321241

>>7320401
>when players have weapons in their possession it lessens the sense of fear
I suppose that sounds good in theory and it might true if a game has combat that's way too easy, but when a game has decent combat that can be a bit of a challenge it creates more tension for me. No combat at all ends up feeling like a tedious game of hide and seek and I've never been anything but bored by that.

>> No.7321261

>>7320505
>it’s almost as if it’s nostalgia blinding its crowd
I played this game just a few years ago for the first time in my life and i still loved it so no, nostalgia isn't a factor.

>> No.7321291

>>7320825
no one is making fun of you for being literate but for being a pretentious moron with a severe case of dunning krueger, literally the entire thread fedora tipping and bringing up retarded hipster teenager arguments like a walking cliche. Probably your favorite book is Infinite Jest or Finnegas wake or other such garbage shilled on /lit/ that only first year college pseuds pretend to like

>> No.7322980

>>7321291
>dunning krueger
Not him but throwing out random German words is the epitome of pretentiousness

>> No.7323310
File: 344 KB, 480x513, 1446336879609.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
7323310

I marathoned the first three games last year, and 1 ended up being my favorite.

How's 4?
I've heard it has a similar structure to first one, or that it plays similarly, something like that. One of the many things I liked about the game was that outside of the main areas (which looking back are pretty much dungeons), you could just walk around and explore the town. Going into that convenience store was so cool, even though it's practically irrelevant.

I knew going into 3 that it was some sort of sequel to 1, so I got kind of disappointed that it turned out to be even more linear than 2, on top of reusing a shitton of assets. The otherworld hospital was great though.

>> No.7324146

>>7323310
If 1 is your favorite then you might end up liking 4 a little more than most people. I thought its enemy design was closer to 1 than 2 or 3. It gives you a bit to explore too. The only issue is that it becomes really repetitive and half the game is an escort quest. I think it's still worth playing though, it does some things pretty well and I actually kept having dreams related to it about my room being like the haunted apartment which didn't happen with the other games, but it's also the only one out of 1-4 that I haven't really felt the desire to replay yet.

>> No.7324561

>>7292279
Is this a mod or something? As far as I remember this woman didn't have eyebrows

>> No.7325142

>>7324561
I saved the pic a while ago and don't remember where it's from but I think it's just a photo edit. She doesn't have eyebrows in-game.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action