[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 144 KB, 312x319, Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7278538 No.7278538 [Reply] [Original]

This sucks. Why is it praised? I wonder how many people even got to the inverted castle or even got the bat ability.

>> No.7278542

>>7278538
is alright

>> No.7278549

>>7278538
>This sucks.
Why?

>> No.7278567

>>7278538

You play SOTN for the visuals, music and exploration, not the gameplay. I agree that inverted castle is not great, with far less unique music and the bat powerup invalidating exploration, but the first half of the game is a lot of fun to play through.

It can't hold a candle to something like Hollow Knight, but if you play it for the overall experience rather than the gameplay you'll have a good time.

>> No.7278579

>>7278567
True, the normal castle is an OK walking simulator. Where you walk really, really slow.
But the inverted castle is such cancer, they just gave up on game design. There was no thought put into level design or enemies. So I doubt most people even got there.

>> No.7278634

It was fine. The Inverted Castle is a fun idea, but is really not that great.
Post SOTN Castlevanias feel to do it way better, but I can see how amazing this must have been when it came out.

>> No.7279336

Too many abilities you get are just unbalanced and permitted because they're button combo stuff the game would never tell you. Both the unbalance and the lack of telling are poor design. Later games with wide varieties of abilities managed to make them feel less like cheat codes.

>> No.7279367

the inverted castle was stupid, but the first half was cool

>> No.7279437

>>7278567
>hollow knight
>gameplay
fucking please
That trash heap handles like baby dev's first flash game. They couldn't even maintain quality consistency among character design, I don't know why I expected more from gameplay.

>> No.7279454

>>7278538
I enjoyed it at the time and play through it every five years or so. I didn't find the inverted castle on my own, but I find find the bat in the late 90s.

>> No.7279485

>>7278538
Not an argument

>> No.7279554

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night/Weapons
wtf I thought the shield rod was the only thing with a special ability, at least the description hints at its ability

>> No.7279557

>>7279336

This is the biggest problem I have with the game. It becomes wildly unbalanced and easy, when for the first half it is just right.

It really needed a hard mode or a third castle or some options to even out the unbalance and increase the difficulty later in the game.

>> No.7279693

Super metroid is also too easy, only the bosses can really take lives off you, and you also become a flying death ray at the end of the game.

>> No.7279707

>>7279693
But Super Metroid is actually fun to play. SOTN is just a slog.
>>7279557
Inverted castle is the hard mode. If you don't spam the secret abilities.

>> No.7279713

>>7278538
It was the first castlevania game that was metroidvanian with rpg elements. Ergo it was betraying it's original money/users/buyers/etc but was more to the liking of normal people that like easier games.

I never got to the inverted castle but who would not get the bat?

Like with the gba versions of which are more fun than this first type of castlevania, the 'special'/proper endings are harder to get.

>> No.7279720

>>7279693
Ridley is not easy. It takes like over nine thousand missiles.

>> No.7279721

>>7279693
>and you also become a flying death ray at the end of the game
That's supposed to be the reward for finding all the powers and making it to the end of the game.

>> No.7279724

>>7279720
I too only read first sentences

>> No.7279771

>>7279713
>It was the first castlevania game that was metroidvanian with rpg elements.
That's actually Castelvania 2.
>Ergo it was betraying it's original money/users/buyers/etc
The gameplay is just shit. Nothing to do being easy.
>but who would not get the bat?
I should have say mist ability. But you need it to get bat, which is the main point.
There's a 50% chance the door is open when you get back to the clock room. There's a chance some people might have problems with it. It's basically hidden behind a secret.
>>7279720
That doesn't make it hard. He's one of the easier bosses, just spam missiles. And he's the only boss vulnerable to bombs. Make the fight much easier. The two invulnerable cunts before him are much worse.

>> No.7279776

>>7279336
SotN is power trip-vania wether you like it or not.

>> No.7279789

FUCK YOU

>> No.7279792

>>7279724
He wasn't being logical. The bosses are part of the game.

>>7279771
Castlevania two is not easy.

The gameplay is better than the clunky old kind. For people that didn't like it they liked the new. Metroidvanian became a format for a reason.

And he's the only boss that wrecked my shit.

>> No.7279806

>>7279792
>He wasn't being logical.
The game spiking to normal difficulty doesn't make it normally difficult

>> No.7279821

>>7279792
>Castlevania two is not easy.
Besides the retarded cryptic shit, it's much easier than the others. It's the SOTN of NES.
>And he's the only boss that wrecked my shit.
Ridley is just jump, hold right trigger and spam missiles.

>> No.7279883

>>7279821
>just jump
>>oh shit oh shit where is it where is it wh--AAAH
>falls into lava
>tries to shoot with missiles
>it flies back up

I've beaten it but last time I decided to have a leisurely replay I noped at that point as I had nothing to prove and it wasn't fun.

I probably wasn't timing when it flies at you properly and when I beat it I might have.

>>7279806
Normal is relative so your post is kinda pointless.

>> No.7279932

>>7279883
>>just jump
>>>oh shit oh shit where is it where is it wh--AAAH
>>falls into lava
>>tries to shoot with missiles
>>it flies back up
I think you are just retarded.
>he flies right
>shoot right
>he flies left
>shoot left
And you have to be actually retarded to fall into lava.
Getting grabbed can be easily avoided in ball form.

>> No.7279941

>>7279883
>Normal is relative so your post is kinda pointless.

So is "not easy", but you had no problem using such terms before until it became a problem for you.

Also It doesn't matter what your personal measure of easy, normal, and hard are. As long as you know that a game briefly becoming more difficult than normal doesn't typify the difficulty of the game, and that tripcodes are for faggots.

>> No.7279943

>>7279707
>Inverted castle is the hard mode. If you don't spam the secret abilities.

I mean it is and it isn't. There are all these powerful items, weapons and abilities you get, and there is really no reason to have them since by the time you probably get them you've already beaten every enemy in the game, and if you didn't you take it down easily. There is no challenge with those weapons, thus they really aren't needed.

FFX is a game that did this right. Even with maxed characters the final boss still is hard and takes over 15 minutes to beat. SOTN needed something like that.

>> No.7279970

>unequip weapon
>equip healing item
>throw healing item on the ground
>walk over it to get healing
>reequip weapon

>finally get a good subweapon
>attack candle
>subweapon falls through the screen and you are stuck with some unusable shit

>> No.7279979

the gameplay absolutely rocks, land cancels, shield dashing wingsmashing tech make i so fun to blow through areas.
Key words 'blow through', as SoTN is crippled by being easy. If you put in the effort all Igavania have such in depth high apm mechanics that are mind blowing to master and every game post SoTN you can actually die in

>> No.7279986

>>7279979
I can just spam the OP sword attack of the shield rod. That doesn't make the tedious gameplay fun.

>> No.7280006

>>7278538
>Not 200%-ing this excellent game
Fuck you.

>> No.7280034

>ITT: secrets bad!
>this game is too easy! but doesn’t spoonfeed enough

>> No.7280037

>>7278538
Maybe those three letters “PAL” have something to with it, because the NTSC version of that game is fire

>> No.7280042

>>7279943
The point of grinding in games is to nullify any challenge. How new are you?

>> No.7280132

>>7278538
Start with two Crissaegrim and two Rings of Varda. Problem soved.

>> No.7280739

>>7278567
It would have been nice if they had good music tracks and more variation than some asshole slamming on the keyboard and some phantom of the opera asshole going for 8 minutes nonstop.

>> No.7280759
File: 106 KB, 358x477, 1419452414898.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7278579
>walk really, really slow.

You mean you didn't back dash around the entire castle faster than the walk speed? Get a load of this fag.

>> No.7280779

>>7280739
I'm sure you can make better music, Mozart?

>> No.7281070
File: 53 KB, 150x150, SOTN_Basilard_2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7279707
>Inverted castle is the hard mode. If you don't spam the secret abilities.
SoTN is only ever remotely difficult if you go far out of your way to make it so. Forget the secret abilities, my first playthrough involved me bashing in everyone's face with just the holy rod until I picked up the alucard sword, and I didn't even know about the secret spells and abilities. Even something like basilard or even bare fists can take the piss out of the game, even in luck mode.

>> No.7281875

It's an easy game, but honestly I still enjoy it, not my favorite from the metroidvanias but it can still be a fun time

>> No.7281963

>>7279932
I probably went into a ball and never shot up but only horizontally and won anyway.

>>7279941
Normal is normal. It's already on normal so really the comment "it's normal difficulty" does not make sense in that context. It was on normal and then games ideally get slowly harder as time goes on to keep you from getting bored but sometimes they spike too much, and that's ironically normal for older games but for better gen 4/5/6 games it's not necessarily coveted a thing. Well, 4 it often did do that. Of which annoys people. They feel proud when they get past x thing but really all you did was waste your time because it halted your progress rather than make you simply try harder. If you were really good you'd not lose so many lives nor similar mechanic such as resetting to save points. Trial and error any retard can do that isn't good at something. If I replay it and I suck worse than odds are it didn't exactly make me better at it, so the difficulty spike is a bit much.
>trip
Ad hominem.

>> No.7281979

>amazing art
>based bonuses
>cozy controls
OP sounds like a miserable little bundle of sticks

>> No.7281994

Played this game because
>"its like super metroid bra"

Yeah well, it was ok. But it wasn't no super metroid.

>> No.7282094

>>7281994
you filtered yourself from a game that routinely makes top 20 in greatest of all time lists because you don't understand comparisons.
good job.

>> No.7282209

>>7278538
>Why is it praised?
Visuals, animation, music, trinkets.

SotN is a game that's only praised for it's shiny coating, no one ever dares defend the actual game because they know it's a completely unbalanced, glorified backtracking session. Why do you think speedrunning is the most interesting way to play the game?

>> No.7282218

>>7282209
>no one ever dares defend the actual game
it was fun to play and beating the enemies and bosses felt fun. It wasn't super hard or super deep, but it didn't need to be to be a good time, get over it.

>> No.7282220

>>7282218
Enter the apologists.

>> No.7282223

>>7282209
>no one ever dares defend the actual game
fuckin wut? just about every 2D platformer since SOTN has tried to emulate its gameplay and are eventually weighed against it
>completely unbalanced
this. is. a. single. player. game.
>glorified backtracking session
so you're saying it's a metroidvania??? no way...
but seriously, this shit has minimal backtracking unless you have zero attention span
>speedrunning is the most interesting way to play the game
ooooooh, i see your issue. you don't know if you should be another weird aspie fag or go full tranny

>> No.7282230

>>7282094
>some fat neckbeards and gaming journalists put on lists!
Played it to completion and thought it was overrated as fuck. Why should i give a fuck what some other faggots think.

>> No.7282232

>>7282230
why should i give a fuck what you faggot think

>> No.7282235

>>7282223
>just about every 2D platformer since SOTN has tried to emulate its gameplay and are eventually weighed against it
People will praise the gameplay, visuals, music, but no no one defends having to play through it, because it's completely worthless, it's just a tour of the castle.
>this. is. a. single. player. game.
How is that even an argument? The NES entries that aren't Simon's Quest (the proto SotN, another worthless thing that sadly can't hide its lack of worth behind any nice coating) are well balanced single player games.
>so you're saying it's a metroidvania??? no way...
>this shit has minimal backtracking
Let's take SotN first metroidvania sequel as an example, CotM, this thing has very minimal backtracking, SotN forces you to backtrack many times.

>> No.7282238
File: 6 KB, 890x973, gratis-png-pepe-la-rana-pixel-art-bit-pol.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7282232

How about because you replied to my first post? get rekt

>> No.7282247

>>7282235
you seem way too concerned about "balance" in a single player game where you "just tour a castle."
>cotm better than sotn
a truly unsalvageable mind

>> No.7282259

>>7282235
>because it's completely worthless, it's just a tour of the castle.
aren't all castlevania games tours of Dracula's castle? what the fuck does this even mean? what the fuck do you think should be worth. You get through the levels and fight some really cool bosses, you have fun doing it, the end.

>> No.7282284

>>7282247
>you seem way too concerned about "balance" in a single player game where you "just tour a castle."
Balancing is everything, there's no point to have a sports car if you're not allowed to take it beyond the block. SotN is the equivalent of collecting fancy games you don't play. SotN is reduced to a tour of the castle because it failed horribly at being a dungeon crawler, you're just picking trinkets, then backtracking to collect more trinkets, and all these trinkets are worthless because the game isn't balanced well enough to make these relevant.

>cotm better than sotn
CotM is the complete opposite of SotN, it has no fancy visuals, no cd music, no smooth animation, but it has a very solid core experience that have you battle your way through a dungeon, CotM is a true dungeon crawler, it is interesting to play, SotN isn't. CotM cares about the essential even if it's not the shiniest thing, SotN cares deeply about the superficial with a total disregard for the essential.

>what the fuck does this even mean?
See the above.
>You get through the levels and fight some really cool bosses, you have fun doing it, the end
The Nes entries (not SQ) are fun, because they're well designed and balanced, SotN isn't interesting to play, because you're not conquering the castle, you're just checking rooms for trinkets, murdering bosses, and just trying to figure how to check more rooms.

>> No.7282286

>>7282259
>>7282284

>> No.7282296

>>7282284
This shit reads like you just came from an egoraptor or a similiar youtuber meme analysis video

>> No.7282298

>>7278538

I love when zoomers play some 25 year old game and then go "wut, why is this good?"

The game end up being victims of their own success, where what they do new ends up being copied by everyone else. And it's followed up by newer games which refine the formula.

See also:
>Resident Evil
>Silent Hill (there's a SH2 thread right now)

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

>> No.7282338

>>7282296
You've reached the point you can't defend the game anymore, so let's keep going.
How do we verify that SotN has a worthless core experience? We have two ways for that, Simon mode and Igarashi's closest sequel Harmony of Dissonance.

Simon mode eliminates backtracking and trinkets, what happens? The game not only becomes more interesting to play with limited options, it also show how stupily bloated with nonsense the main mode is.

Harmony of Dissonance is literally SotN without all the superficial stuff people like about it, no Alucard, no fancy animation and visuals, no cd music, just rooms to check and trinkets to grab in a backtracking quest to check for more rooms. What happens? Absolutely no one talks about it, not in bad nor in good, it is absolutely ignored. Take away Sotn fancy stuff and see the nothingness that's left.

>egoraptor
I guess you're still crying about his OoT video? Very overrated game for such a misstep in the franchise that led it on a path of increasing irrelevance. Egoraptor should have been more careful with how he presented his ideas since many idiots only focused on semantics while failing to get his point.

>> No.7282691

>>7281963
>Ad hominem.

It wasn't meant to be an argument. I was personally attacking you because you deserve it.

>> No.7282718

>>7280759
>SHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFFSHFF
>Anon what's that noise? If there's nothing on the TV just turn it off!
>MOM I'M PLAYING VIDEO GAMES ITS NOT STATIC OH MY GOD

>> No.7282796

>>7282691
Trips are better than normal users that are here to post baits as you can simply filter me. I increase board quality, mister Illogical.

>> No.7282845

There's 2 kinds of runs through SOTN. One is where you get the Crissaegrim randomly and then destroy everything without getting hit. The other is where you don't, and might actually die at some of the later bosses.

Dual-wielding Crissaegrims sure is a fun replay, though.

>> No.7283690

>>7278538
filtered mongrel

>> No.7283741

>>7278538
STOP.MAKING.MULTIPLE CASTLEVANIA THREADS!

>> No.7283903
File: 183 KB, 378x199, Dracisfinewiththis.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7282338
>Harmony of Dissonance is literally SotN without
HoD is no more similar to SoTN than CoTM is when it really comes down to it. You want a real way to verify these games' core experiences? Try going through while using shitty or no equipment. All 3 GBA games are far more balanced and way more enjoyable to play like this than SoTN, which does its damnedest to make you to invalidate its own game design. Death and his bigass green skulls, should you even bother to let him pull them out, best captures this. The DS games flat out actually give the rpg mechanics some import for once.

The real reason people rarely talk about it is because SoTNfags in particular are the most scurrilous, zealous fucks in the whole fandom, with a nostalgic aestheticwhore bent and a burning hatred for dissension. While individuals have varying dispositions, there's some who write off the handheld games as not being real sequels in terms of story and gameplay just because they weren't on home consoles, just like they typically do with the 3D games. I don't know where >>7282209 has been where they're not like this, but we didn't get people en masse call SoTN fanboys out on the kinda shit gameplay until fairly recently, and even then, they'll either double down on it, change the discussion to about aesthetics so they can still feel good about calling SoTN the best, or even try to appeal to series' legacy, whether it be game mechanics or which director worked on what game, ignoring that SoTN itself does fuck all to make those ideas work for itself and misses the spirit of things.

And the sad and fucking stupid thing of it all is that it's not like it makes SoTN utterly unenjoyable even if you prefer games with better overall design. My favorite game at least when it comes to the metroidvanias is OoE, and not only do I still get some fun from SoTN, I find something new to appreciate about it every playthrough. People just can't be honest about pros and cons.

>> No.7285460

>>7281994
Super Metroid is a better yet even easier game

>> No.7286361
File: 30 KB, 220x302, 220px-Shadow_of_the_Ninja_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Superior SotN coming through

>> No.7286362

why do you keep making this thread repeatedly?

>> No.7286391

>>7278538
I'm currently playing through the Saturn version using the recently released English translation. It's fun. Has a lot of slowdown, but the Saturn exclusive stuff is interesting to see.

>>7279970
The nice thing about the Saturn version is you get a "third hand" to use for items, so you don't have to unequip your weapon, equip a potion, drink the potion, then reequip your weapon like you do on the PS1.

>> No.7286470

>>7279437
Hollow Knight has simple but fun and engaging gameplay though and lots of chances to test said gameplay. Try a different shit posting tactic next time.

>> No.7286478
File: 38 KB, 499x338, 1585738933273.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7279943
>FFX is a game that did this right. Even with maxed characters the final boss still is hard and takes over 15 minutes to beat.
What? You aren't talking about the story boss you literally can't lose to, right? Cause the Ject (or however you spell Tidus' dad's name) fight before it isn't hard at all

>> No.7286621

It's fookin cool that's why

>> No.7287419

>>7282338
>You've reached the point you can't defend the game anymore
not much of a point defending against your criticism of the game. it's mostly incoherent rambling, with random paragraph breaks, in which you repeatedly contradict yourself.

>> No.7287852

>>7286478

No. The final bosses in the coliseum or whatever it's called. It's been 15 years since I played it.

>> No.7288121

SotN is great, but not the best Metroidvania. Aria of Sorrow takes the cake, the Tactical Soul system is fun as fuck and the new standard to be beat.

As far as Castlevanias go:
4.SotN
3.Dawn of Sorrow
2.Rondo of Blood
1.Aria of Sorrow

>>7278567
>It can't hold a candle to something like Hollow Knight
LMAO

>> No.7288129

>>7288121
nah, he's right. Hollow Knight is another level.

>> No.7288139

>>7288129
Hollow Knight feels hollow as fuck. Boring (little variation on gameplay) and easy, I couldn't even bring myself to keep playing it.

I swear someday I'll discover saying Hollow Knight is great is a meme and I've been trolled for years.

>> No.7288597

>>7287852
Not sure if I'd compare an optional super boss to a normal game's difficulty

>> No.7288603

>>7288139
Not that guy but nope, I love Hollow Knight and think it's great. Maybe you should try to actually beat it or make real progress in it since by your own post you admitted that you didn't

>> No.7288620

>>7288603
I played four hours of it and had zero fun. Not gonna play it again, you can keep your shit game for yourself.

>> No.7288625

>>7278538
>God tier music
>God tier artstyle
>Great mechanics
>On-point story for a cv game
>Zero challenge and difficulty
And that's why it went to shit

>> No.7288648

>>7278538
Game absolutely commands your attention early on with sick visuals, cd quality music, cheesy voice acting, and a final boss fight.

More games need to start with this energy instead of a boring tutorial.

>> No.7289916

>>7288597

I'm not. What I am saying is there should have been an optional harder part of the game. Bosses, extra mode, levels, etc. Just SOMETHING to give you a challenge after grinding and getting all those awesome weapons.

SOTN reminds me and suffers from the same problem the 3D Zelda's had. You explored a lot of places to find hidden treasures, and it was more often than not just rupees, when you were already maxed out on them and had nothing to buy with them. It really diminished the drive to explore and killed the late game fun. Same with SOTN.

>> No.7289919

>>7278538
Every save point should have been a warp point.

>> No.7289926

>>7278579
>True, the normal castle is an OK walking simulator. Where you walk really, really slow.
Imagine playing SOTN without shield-canceling backdash recovery and zipping around the castle
Or even realizing you can turn around and mash a button to go faster than walking
Holy fuck

>> No.7289935

>>7288648

You called it.

I remember first playing it after being very disappointed in PS1 games because I was a N64 guy. Graphics-wise.

But this was mostly a 2D game, and seeing basically an upgraded SNES game with that music and nice 3D effects thrown in was pretty amazing. I knew there that 3D wasn't going to be the way forward for every game. 2D still had a lot to offer.

>> No.7289945

Does anyone really like the loading rooms? I know they're there for technical reasons but they brought them back in some of the portable games for no reason.

>> No.7289956

>>7279943
>FFX is a game that did this right. Even with maxed characters the final boss still is hard and takes over 15 minutes to beat.
That final boss was piss-easy lol
Literally just have Yuna doublecast flare a couple times and then overdrive summon Bahamut
It's a 5 minute boss battle as long as you're not retarded

>> No.7289957

>>7289945
>Does anyone really like the loading rooms?

Yes.

>> No.7289963

>>7280779
Not how it works. If someone puts a pile of dogshit on a plate and tells you that's dinner, you can still tell them to fuck off even if you aren't a chef.

>> No.7289968

>>7289956

What are you talking about? You could only take 99,999 out of an enemy, each hit, right? Didn't that boss have over 100 million HP or something?

>> No.7289991

>>7289968
60k dumbass
Flare from a fully gridded Yuna hits for 9999 and Bahamut is exempt from the damage limit
Ezpz