[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 648 KB, 1680x1050, just like my pubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7224857 No.7224857 [Reply] [Original]

The chad stride

Previous >>7172865

>> No.7224862

I've had this game since it was first released, but it's amazing how much stuff I still haven't seen or done in it.
I've never played it online. I've never had a SoJ. The furthest in I've gotten so far is to the start of Act V in Hell difficulty with a summonancer.
While I do love the game, it isn't my absolute favourite. If I could only play one game for the rest of my life, it's probably be Diablo 2.

>> No.7224869

>>7224857
>chad stride
That would be the warrior's town walking anim from D1 in running mode.
Screw that, the steps are still too large.

>> No.7225076

>>7224158
You're doing a fury druid I assume? I recently started one myself and I'm running nightmare on it now. How viable do you think is the Rain runeword for an early build?

>> No.7225203

>>7225076
not the other poster, but If I had a Mal on hand, I wouldn't use it to make a Rain. Prudence in an ethereal base would probably serve you much better as an armor, and is even easier to make rune-wise than Rain, though I would prefer a Treachery over both.
If you're playing ladder or have ladder runewords enabled, I would personally save the Mal for Hell and start looking for an eth weapon base to make an Oath in.
Or you could farm 2 Ko runes from countess and make a Sanctuary shield if you're playing with a one-handed weapon. You could also save it and work toward making a Kingslayer. Act 1 of Hell can get you there if you don't mind grinding 2 Ists from hell countess to cube up to a Gul rune. And given the time that would likely take, you'll probably get both a Fal and Um on your way to the Ists. You can also farm good bases in the Crypt and Mausoleum, though you will have to deal with specters in both the tower and the crypts, so that may not be too appealing an option, given their physical immunity, so maybe one of the pits would be an option.

>> No.7225258

>>7224857
PlugY getting updated for 1.14!

>> No.7225774

What's the best way to experience D1? Should I go vanilla or is there some mods or reworks for a smoother experience?

>> No.7225803

>>7225774
You should play vanilla. I don't know if there's any pure qol/bugfix kind of stuff, all the mods make major changes to the game.

>> No.7225947
File: 363 KB, 800x600, wolf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7225076
Yessir, I am. Like >>7225203 said, I wouldn't save for Rain. It would be great to have, but I think you're better off saving your mal. As you can see I'm still stuck with sigon's, but I'll probably be making a treachery soon since I was lucky enough to get a lem yesterday just doing my quests. Thanks for the reminding me about that runeword, I completely forgot about it.
I'll never get this build completed, and I'll never have the means to get keys to actually attempt ubers, but I just like having the goal anyway. Also in case you were wondering, it basically feels like a worse zealot/smiter (the only other uber capable character i've done), but at least it's different. zooming around at warp speed with feral rage is fun.

>> No.7225973

>>7225076
>>7225203
Duress looks pretty sweet too, if you can swing an um off your h-hellforge or something.

>> No.7226035

>>7224158
I would rather make Fortitude and save the Ber for good stuff like Enigma and Infinity to use with another character.

>> No.7226131

>>7226035
Well im not getting my hands on a Lo either, so what I really meant was what budget armors I should be thinking about. Like the other anon said, treachery is looking litty, maybe duress or smoke. Hell, even lionheart might work.

>> No.7226365

>>7226131
In that case I would go for Treachery. It is cheap to make and always good. Don't know about ASPD breakpoints on a fury druid but those 45% are bound to help a bunch and the Fade autocast is awesome. Good armor.
The thing with high runes is that they do drop in the most unexpected times. I wouldn't be afraid that you never find a Lo, or even a Ber or Jah if you kill a lot of monsters.

>> No.7226603

>>7225258
cool

>> No.7227096

Is there any particular reason to do elite zones in Nightmare difficulty of median XL? Theres some drifter something cave in Act 5 and a couple packs got immediately pulled to the door of it and they're just sitting there. If I go in the area I immediately get fucking stunlocked and die.

>> No.7227192

>accidentally turn my Akara's Robe into a War Cloak because I missed the "cannot be upgraded" part of its description
>but median xl decides this means "turn it into an entirely different item"
Well, fuck the armour I was using I guess. Time to learn proper fucking crafting. A bit salty, not gonna lie, since I also don't see a way to upgrade a magic item to rare, but you need sacred rare to use shrines. So non-rare sacred items are useless I guess?

>> No.7227280
File: 114 KB, 862x680, 1590503801682.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7226365
If I'm understanding the spreadsheet right it looks like ias from non weapon sources with ribcracker/fury/wolf cannot possibly get me to a new break point. Only socketing a shael or jewel would help me there, so unfortunately the ias from treachery wouldn't help. Still though, it's cheap like you said and price is definitely my limiting factor. Fade is godlike, treachery is basically good enough for that alone.
>high runes drop in the most unexpected times
I mean, you're right insofar as one never expects them to drop, but damn man I've been playing for over a decade and only ever had one vex drop for actual high runes.

>> No.7227464
File: 7 KB, 106x118, 1584482383361.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7224857
This game is gonna kick ass when it finally arrives in the mail in 24 hours time, the anticipation is killing me!

>> No.7227470
File: 378 KB, 942x1200, 0002804623_10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7227464
My nigga
Enjoy

>> No.7227641

Yeah I think I'm about done with Median XL. It wasn't too bad on normal/nightmare, but some of this shit on hell is just effects on top of effects and shit everywhere and I legitimately can't fucking see what's happening

>> No.7228363
File: 39 KB, 604x402, 1557585062685.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7227464
>buying Diablo II

>> No.7228438
File: 56 KB, 166x205, can't wake up.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7228363
Battle chest is best

>> No.7228591

>>7225203
I made a Prudence for the time being and it's definitely been helpful, at least while I'm still at a lower level, thanks.
>>7225947
The only real downside I've noticed so far is that your attacks are interruptible. A non-interruptible fury + non gear dependent attack speed would be godly.
I think the attack speed initially depended only on your wolf skill level but they eventually changed it or something.

>> No.7228603

>>7225203
What's a good one-handed weapon you would recommend for this build?

>> No.7228606

>>7228438
all the d2 devs left blizzard years ago, just pirate this shit

>> No.7228615

>>7228606
I took a picture of a CD-Key on a copy at a Goodwill and registered it to my account with Blizzard — devilish.

>> No.7229143

>>7228591
Isn't attack speed in wereforms calculated with some screwed up special formula that's different from the normal?

>> No.7229198

>>7228603
for the mid-game? Fleshrender should be decent and shouldn't be too difficult to find off NM Andy. I'm partial to equipping flails on SS druids for the base speed of the weapon class, so that could be anything from an upgraded tan do li ga (slows target 50%. good for boss fights) to just a Strength for the CB, to even an Honor knout (or naga if you find one). If you're getting CB from other gear, an Aldur's Rhythm with 3 Shaels in it might work well. I don't know the weird werewolf attack speed breakpoints off the top of my head so depending on that the 90 IAS may or may not get you to the next nearest one.
there are a quite a few decent midgame uniques to play with like Butcher's Pupil, Islestrike, Guardian Naga, Headstriker, Ginther's Rift, etc.
on the elite side, something like Lightsabre, Baranar's or Razor's Edge should do well.

>> No.7230656

>attack freezes target does nothing if the enemy is above your level
>as in 99% of the time during regular gameplay
What were they thinking?

>> No.7230773

>>7230656
>running reduces your defense to literally 0
The game has some weird fucking design decisions that feel like they're bugs no one wanted to fix.

>> No.7230824

>>7230773
I think it's meant to give some utility to walking rather than solely being a detriment.

>> No.7230829

>>7230824
I figure thats the concept, but the problem is it shouldn't put it down that far. Especially since the base walk speed in vanilla is slow as fuck.

>> No.7230886

>>7230773
>the skill that increases your defense is the synergy for a skill that sets your defense to 0

>> No.7230919

>>7230886
>increases your defense
Increases everyone's defense

>> No.7230952

>>7230886
What ones are that?

>> No.7230959
File: 43 KB, 424x600, 163234523423454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7230886
>he doesn't play barb by maxing Iron Skin and Increased Speed with 7 combat mastery GCs while exclusively walking everywhere at very high speeds.
>he doesn't play paladin by maxing Defiance for its Holy Shield defense bonus while walking with max level vigor with 7 defensive aura GCs.

>> No.7231001

>>7230952
Berserk and Shout.

>> No.7231574

>>7230959
unequivocally based
that reminds me of one time where my and my two buddies made wanted to make uber capable characters. My and my one friend made smiters like a sane person, and my other friend made a concentrate barb. Pure immovable zero damage autism.

>> No.7231641

>>7224857
>the white men ar ebeing defeated
>women are hiding
>MUH AHISTORICAL BLACK PALADIN COMIN TO SAVE DA WHITE WOMEN

Why does this nigger shit infest fucking everything.

>> No.7232128

>>7227096
to learn how they work before jumping into it in hell since monster stats will be lower also great xp for lving keep in mind you might need some Oskills or items or etc like being max lv with god tier gear before entering or you will get instantraped same goes with fucking around and summoning bosses like for real some of these fucking end game maps can take an hour to clear and kill a boss

some areas drop sets but others also have a much much higher chance of dropping rares, runes or TU/SU(hell)'s its good to know which maps have a drop bias for farming

>> No.7232160

>>7231641
>nigger
south american* same thing I know also no shit the women are hiding one is a mage who do not like getting hit the other rapes everything with pouncing hit and run tactics

cringe lrn2lore /pol/tard inb4 rent free

>> No.7232161

>ask if anyone has ravenfrost for trade
>"wug"
>2 sojs
>"okay join (game)///(game)
>immediately log off
eat my shit and waste time you greedy fuck

>> No.7232341

>>7232161
calm down boomer he got disconnected

>> No.7233019

>>7231641
The art is ludo-accurate
>women hiding at the edge of the screen cheesing the boss with ranged spells
>the most broken class coming in to save the day
>necro missclicked on Diablo's xbox hueg hitbox and ran into melee to swing with wand
>barb forgot to read patch notes

>> No.7234102

>>7229143
Wereforms are literal monsters, so yes, they do have very different ways of determining attack speed. If I remember correctly:
>character base frames + monster base frames are added together (which is why they are so slow without any speed modifiers)
>there is no upper limit on weapon attack speed, so in some mods it is possible to reach retarded rates that are so fast that you do not even animate, instead you deal a constant stream of instantaneous damage
>non-weapon attack speed only applies (this one I'm not completely certain on, it might be wrong) to the character portion of the base frames, so it hits the cap relatively quickly (which is why werewolves don't need any non-weapon IAS)

>> No.7234456

what is good cookie cutter amazon build?

>> No.7234607

>>7234102
Not him but wow this seems confusing. I was thinking on running a shapeshifter druid in vanilla (or wait for PlugY to update), but unsure what build to run with it. Maybe rabies, but I don't know enough about diablo 2 to know how to handle immunities well.

>> No.7234638

>>7234456
charged strike/lightning fury.

>> No.7234664

>>7231641
Because jews.

>>7232160
why do you jews hate white people?

>> No.7234768

>>7234102
>character base frames + monster base frames are added together
This is one of those "were the devs on pcp" -kind of mechanics.

>> No.7234826
File: 35 KB, 825x776, Goofed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7229143
>>7234102
>>7234768
Yeah the drood shapeshifter attack speed formula is goofy. This is for non upped ribcracker, but it seems like as long as your weapon has *some* ias on it, ias from other sources is basically worthless.

>> No.7234851

>>7234826
Does this mean its basically pointless to use Treachery for its massive IAS on a SS druid? Or does it help but only if your weapon doesn't have IAS? what about amulets like Highlord's and Cat's Eye? Is it pointless to use these items for their attack speed?

>> No.7234884

>>7234638
cool, thanks

>> No.7235084

>>7234826
That table looks like IAS from non-weapon sources is worthless whether the weapon has it or not, I guess it's because the IAS from just the werewolf form reaches the maximum non-weapon IAS or something?

>> No.7235591
File: 35 KB, 764x767, stalag.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7234851
Yeah the ias from treachery would be basically pointless. It might make a difference depending on your weapon though, you'd have to check. For that particular weapon that I chose, it is useless. Treachery is still good though for the godly fade proc. FHR might make a difference too, don't know about those breakpoints.
>>7235084
Yeah you're right, I had it mixed up. This pic is the table for an upped ribcracker. Stalagmites have a lower base attack speed than quarterstaves, I guess. In my original pic, you're right: ias from non weapon sources wouldn't do a lick of good. Here it does no good again, but that's only because ribcracker has 50ias on it out the gate. The only way I could reach a new breakpoint is by socketing a shael into it. But if I was just using a white stalagmite with no ias on it, the ias from my gear would make a difference.

>> No.7235714

>>7235591
I have a shapeshifter druid on bnet with all the goodies of collective ladders past and have been trying to get up a decent attack speed on an eth warpike botd, which as you can imagine is slow as molasses. No matter how much IAS I seem to add, foregoing Fortitude in favor of Treachery, wearing Highlord's and Nosferatu's, nothing ever seems to increase it. I've often thought about sticking a 15 IAS jewel in my Jalal's hoping that the next breakpoint might at last be just over that threshold. But you're now telling me that it's all for naught. and all that extra IAS from the other gear literally doesn't matter? (botd of course already has 60 IAS, but the warpike remains an extremely low speed once in wolf form)
Would a way to increase attack speed be to go for maximizing the level of werewolf itself since it increases attack speed by 1 every level? In which case maybe a Chains of Honor would be a better choice than both Fortitude and Treachery. Or does the skill level also become pointless after a certain point?

>> No.7236036
File: 37 KB, 809x748, BotD warpike.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7235714
Yeah, sorry bro, looks like it. Since your weapon is a runeword to begin with, and therefore cannot have a jewel or shael socketed into it, no amount of IAS will increase your attack speed.
>Would a way to increase attack speed be to go for maximizing the level of werewolf itself since it increases attack speed by 1 every level?
I checked first werewolf skill 20, then 25, then 50, and nothing changed at all.
So if this table/calculator is correct, you're hardcapped at a 9 frame fury. Maybe a pally bro with fanaticism might increase it, idk. I'm also really dumb though, so there's a strong possibility I'm misinterpreting the results of the calculator, misinputing things, or the calc is just incorrect.

>> No.7236130

>>7236036
Great, another game mechanic that's set up solely to handicap melee characters even more. Why does Blizzard hate them so much?
I'll still play them though. I started a barb on bnet the other day, and this thread made me want to start a shapeshifter on SP yesterday, and I was fortunate enough to find a Bane Ash on my way through the tower, it absolutely destroyed in A1. Then Andy dropped a Gull dagger which is a very fast attack speed weapon with surprisingly decent damage and let me farm Andy for some halfway decent gear, so with Hsarus' boots now and Stealth my wolf runs like a madman.

still, thanks for your info. It's better to know than keep throwing more and more IAS gear at the problem.
>Maybe a pally bro with fanaticism might increase it
A1 Faith merc here I come, I guess

>> No.7236423

>gull dagger
Completely unrelated to the druid discussion but since this thing was mentioned, for people who want to find this thing, instead of Cold Crow or Tristram runs, just gamble it from Gheed lmao. IIRC you need level 11 character to guarantee that every gambler dagger can be unique and about 50-100k gold. Like the anon above said it's an ok early game weapon and casters can use it for the mf bonus for a long time. Especially summon necro.

>> No.7237075

>>7236423
I suppose the only hurdle to overcome there would be getting 50-100k gold that early on in Act 1

>> No.7238003

>>7230656
>the slow attack that stuns for a short duration is weaker than the large area of effect, ranged stun that has a long duration
>the mammalian druid summon that has the lowest investment requirement is also the strongest summon
>the piercing necromancer bone deals more damage at high levels than the single target bone
>skeleton mages are so weak that a few necroskeletons/revives are stronger than all of your mages
>Lightning Sentry deals more damage more consistently than Charged Bolt Sentry and also still deals more damage assuming every single Charged Bolt hits
>assassin blade skills, one of the few cases in the game where it would make logical sense to use a two-hander, have a hidden 1/2 damage multiplier for two-handed weapons
>Phoenix Strike charge 1 deals more damage than all the other charges of all the other elemental charge-ups, despite being by far the fastest charge to release (you attack almost 2x faster with Phoenix Strike than FoF/BoI/CoT)
>the skill that decreases your chance of being interrupted interrupts your action to prevent you from being interrupted
>Glacial Spike deals more damage than Ice Bolt despite requiring less investment and having area of effect and freezing
>Inferno ostensibly deals far lower DPS than Fire Wall despite needing a synergy and being incredibly awkward to use
>Meteor has the highest burn damage per second despite also dealing the most hit damage and having a large area of effect

>> No.7238040

>>7238003
>the piercing necromancer bone deals more damage at high levels than the single target bone
Not to mention the defensive skills also synergize the offensive skills so there's objectively no point to leveling spirit or teeth.

>> No.7238047

>>7238040
Doesn't bone spirit have some use in PvP? Since it is fire and forget kind of skill.

>> No.7238676

>ten gorillion AR
>STILL ~87% chance to hit basic bitch act 1 zombie
>STILL miss like 10 times in a row

>spells always hit
I'll never not seethe about this.

>> No.7238776

>>7227192
If you're playing sigma, use the sacreds as bases for runewords. Just use a renewal potion on a magic item to roll it back to superior, and use an enhancement potion to roll it to magic if it rolls subpar. Repeat until you get a good superior base. Runewords are always good if you don't have a better item. Check online to see the jewel craft recipes.

>> No.7238785

>>7227641
Play sigma.

>> No.7238891

>>7234456
Guided arrow/multishot as well.

>> No.7238981

>>7238003
>druid summon
You talking about the first wolf summon? I've been wondering what to dump my extra points in, is it decent?

>> No.7239008

>>7238676
Are you playing on bnet? As crappy as untwinked melee builds are, they're ten times worse online because the enemies are constantly desyncing everywhere and nothing is actually on the places where they show on your screen.

>> No.7239086

>>7238981
No, that is by far the worst and most expensive druid summon. You have to max out Dire Wolves and the bear for it to be effective, but it'll still be way weaker despite the increased investment requirements. The only excuse for using spirit wolves is if you are going pure summoner, in which case spirit wolves are ideal from 1-30, after which you swap to the bear. If you have Oak Sage (which most druids do), Bear >>> Dire >>> Spirit.

>> No.7239205

>>7238785
I was playing sigma, I don't even know where to get the other versions. I was mostly just salty from the Infernal Contraption special zone in Hell which summoned a few packs of Trap Rats and those centaur things. Fuck those trap rat machine gunning fucks. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread (or a previous), it may also have to do with me playing a vessel neutraldin, which seems jank at times.

>> No.7239228

can't wait for plugy 1.14 to restart holy grail on new pc

best game

>> No.7239274

>>7237075
Lol right?

>> No.7239295

>>7239205
Oh, that's the problem. I just want to inform you that i would wait until i got the SU dagger for neutraldin before speccing it. I honestly prefer unholy caster as a paladin.

>> No.7239313

>>7239295
Yeah someone else told me its pretty much the worst 'new player' spec. I may go back into Median XL in a bit and try out a different build entirely.

>> No.7239602

>>7239313
To be fair, back before ultimative, the neutraldin using the magister long staff was good. You could try adopting it for yours to salvage/carry it forward. You're going to need fire damage/pierce.

>> No.7239653

>>7239602
Fire damage and pierce? Odd, since I thought vessels did physical damage. Either way I'll probably just shelve the build for now. I'm playing other games but maybe I'll come back with a new character for the 1.8 update thats on Jan 8th or so. How are druid shapeshifter builds in sigma?

>> No.7239676

>>7239653
It's for the screen-wide apocalypse from the magister staff.

>> No.7239691

>>7239653
Sorry, as for the last part, the werebear is great.

>> No.7239743

>>7239691
I'll give that a try then. Was thinking about making some sort of shifter for vanilla but no idea when PlugY will be updated and I may as well set aside vanilla until that's done.

>> No.7240034

>>7239743
Know this: the druid wearbear set, combined with the craton boots runeword, dragonheart armor runeword, and good poison/fire pierce, is literally sex.

>> No.7240070

>>7240034
In median xl I take it?

>> No.7240104

>>7239008
Yep, I'm on bnet, that's gotta be a huge contributor to the frustration.

>> No.7240178

>>7240070
Median xl sigma. It's all the good accumulated from median with the renewal of the better parts of d2 lod. It's good.

>> No.7240792

>finally got an armor base for duress
>used my only thul rune on the socket recipe
FUGG

>> No.7240871

>>7240792
I'd give you a thul bro, but from the look of it you're single player otherwise you wouldn't be too bothered at the loss of a thul.

>> No.7241547
File: 1.85 MB, 1600x1200, 1592697564805.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7224857
that looks a lot like the old EQ art

>> No.7241558
File: 782 KB, 2246x1158, eruditeamerican.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7241547
I bet you thought he was checking out her cleavage but he was actually just planning to mug her.

>> No.7241712

>>7241547
Is that supposed to be an ogre and a troll? Would've been bad ass if they actually looked like that in-game.

>> No.7241812

>>7241547
This looks like classic Dragonlance art. Nice.

>> No.7242506

>>7240871
>you're single player
Yep, I'm going back to Potatos Tower to get my thul rune.

>> No.7242513

>>7241547
Same artist, bro. The late Kieth Parkinson.

>> No.7242527
File: 626 KB, 1488x1500, 1453777439500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7242513
I have long suspected that Bliz cropped his signature out of the diablo poster, or told him not to sign it in the first place.
At that time, things had been getting draconian in the gaming industries for artists since the 80's. They had long been getting famous and companies were desperate to stop people knowing who made the good stuff thus driving up their value.
It's part of the reason a lot of game art sucks now. They forced out the really talented people and no one new learned thier skills. So its all low-rent deviant art photoshop users shitting up the pages of every RPG.
But that's a whole other thing.

>> No.7242729

>>7241558
>filename
https://www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/who-are-the-gypsies-and-what-do-they-believe.html

According to this link, literally every european is a gypsy. Gypsies exist in europe, therefore every european is a gypsy.

>> No.7243396
File: 1.29 MB, 1200x1261, 1602365588634.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>enter into trade with someone
>they either lowball me, haggle, or are overly generous
>one way or another I spill my spaghetti and offer to give them free or something
>before any transaction I close trade window and exit game for an hour
How do I shed this autism?

>> No.7244201
File: 75 KB, 480x533, 1505966137154.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7243396
You don't, you just start playing self found or SP instead.

>> No.7245186

>>7238676
Also doesn't help that half the monsters in Act 1 and 2 have block (which doesn't apply to 99% of spells of course). Melee is suffering.

>> No.7245251

>>7245186
On the bright side the monsters get stunned by the block animation like the player, I noticed it while farming hell countess on a crappy melee character.

>> No.7245290

I'm playing a skelemancer for the first time and I have some questions now that I've reached Nightmare. How do I keep scaling my damage now that I have 20 points in both Skeleton Mastery and Summon Skeletons? I'm using a Spirit crystal sword and a Homunculus, so the skills are at 24, but the damage seems a little lacking. Is Corpse Explosion the way to go? Also, is it true that skeleton mages are really bad?

>> No.7245717

>>7245290
fishymancer is the way to go, it uses corpse explosion and amplify damage

>> No.7245823

>>7242729
This link and you are fucking retards

>> No.7246130

>>7245290
>Also, is it true that skeleton mages are really bad?
Unfortunately yes, also they're prone to despawning unlike the normal skeletons for some reason if you aren't teleporting everywhere.

>> No.7246389

>>7245290
curses?

>> No.7246417

>>7246130
>also they're prone to despawning unlike the normal skeletons for some reason
I think it's based on their life and/or damage. The game seems to auto-calc fights for minions when you get too far away and they get warped away from a fight, which is dangerous for necromages since they have terrible life and damage, and so the game always auto-calcs them as losing.

>> No.7246475

>>7246417
I don't think that's it, the wierd despawning happens to revives too and probably even more than to mages. The normal skeleton warriors are a lot better at snapping back to the player's position when they get too far away instead of just disappearing for some reason.

>> No.7247061

>>7245717
>>7246130
>>7246389
I have a couple curses now and my corpse explosion has a way bigger radius, so I'm having a good time in nightmare. Thanks for the advice!

>> No.7247247

>randomly find vex on sp barbarian
>no ladder runewords so no Death
Only a zod rune to go until botd, no problem am I right guys

>> No.7247353

>>7247061
I know everyone already covered it and you're already doing it, but I just wanted to chime in anyway. Definitely max corpse explosion, it's a top 5 spell in the game. 1 point in amp damage, 1 in decrep, one in clay golem and summon resist, and then dim vision and revive are good dump skills in that order. You're a summon necro, but neither your skeletons or your merc or your godly iron golem (should you choose to go that route) will ever out damage or out screen clear corpse explosion. You're summons are just a meat shield and means to provide a corpse so you can begin chain detonating. It's so incredibly good and important.

Unrelated, but what are your top 5 skills in the game? It's gotta be something like
>teleport
>smite
>corpse explosion
>battle orders
>fade

>> No.7247510

>>7247353
> what are your top 5 skills in the game?
Teleport
Corpse explosion
Battle orders
Lightning fury
Decripefy

>> No.7247542

>>7247247
just use plugy bro

>> No.7247607

>>7247510
>Decripefy
why decrepify? amplify damage is superior

>> No.7247669

is the best way to get a 20 fcr circlet (even a blue garbage one) to gamble starting about level ~33 (should be about a 3% roll)?

>> No.7247797
File: 2.73 MB, 800x600, thunderstorm.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>>7214394
It's finally done after having re-worked it a few times to work out some kinks. Bug testing this monstrosity was very unpleasant since it's split across 10 skills, 3 monsters, 3 monprops, 12 missiles, 5 states, a few new stats and 80 unique items. It's probably still buggy as hell. The webm shows it at level 1 with a 15% chance to hit per target.

It won't be possible to tack on additional bolt target checks on initial casting, it's only possible to have one variable ctc check per target skill per skill, and the variable ctc check per target is already used up by the periodic bolt spamming. Also, constantly re-casting the skill breaks it pretty badly, so even if it were possible it would be awkward.

>> No.7247883

>>7247607
Not him but you're right in the sense that amp damage makes the target more vulnerable to phys damage and can even break immunities, so it usually results in higher damage dealt. But decrep has the absolutely busted slowing component to it, and is basically the only reason summon necros can even beat act bosses. Decrep plus clay golem means the boss does like 1 attack every 3 seconds.

>> No.7248142

>>7247797
Looks good, it's pretty much what I was thinking of. Since the extra hits from recasting aren't possible, it'll be fine without a replacement mechanic.

Now that I can see it in practice, I guess the strike chance could be tweaked down to (12 + slvl/5) %

>> No.7248856

Trying out Werebear druid in Median XL, but some of the numbers confuse me. Other than not knowing what to focus on (since the last major guide for this build was back in 1.3), the Wildfire skill damage seems out of whack. The skill says it does 3-5 fire damage, but the character screen shows 205-285. I'm level 20 and don't have any fire damage. I remember hearing D2 had a screwed up character screen calculation but I can't imagine it is causing this.

Otherwise, this build feels really neat though I don't know what to focus on. I assume mainly I'm just using Rend at all times?

>> No.7250279

>>7248856
>I remember hearing D2 had a screwed up character screen calculation but I can't imagine it is causing this.
Display calculations in Diablo 2 are a mess, most modders (and Blizzard) don't even bother making them accurate, or make weird assumptions for how much damage is dealt. And the character screen is always the worst display, since it calculates a value based on a few pre-made formulae, most of which are inaccurate garbage even for Blizzard's original uses (e.g. Inferno's special damage calculation formula is off by 2.4x). You can probably assume the tooltip display is off too, fire patch skills are by far the most difficult to determine, since an accurate DPS calculation is based on enemy size, fire duration, fire pathing and usually requires an empirically derived multiplier which takes into account how many fire patches actually hit a given enemy.

>> No.7250729

>>7250279
Yeah I kinda gave up on Wildfire since it seemed to do the exact same thing as Rend but less reliably.

>> No.7252314

Decided to keep at playing ww barbarian, found a couple of barely viable rare elite swords, made some progress and only hell act 5 to go now. By going swords instead of just about any other mastery, I chose the way of extreme pain but it's almost ogre.

>> No.7252361

>>7252314
What's the usual go-to mastery for WW barb? I've never played it but it seems fun.

>> No.7252417

>>7252361
I thought pole arm was good just cuz the range. Not him though

>> No.7252478

>>7252361
I'm not an expert but I think it's usually maces or spears, because the 2h hammers and pikes have huge base damage and the slow attack speed can be partially nullified by making short spins. Also the blunt weapons have access to Black and all the unique 2h hammers are pretty good.

>> No.7252889

>>7252361
You put one point into each and then respec when you find a good weapon.

>> No.7253410

>>7252361
For poorfag barbing (with ladder runewords), you go for polearms since Obedience is overpowered.

>> No.7253450

>>7252478
Weird I remember them using 2xebotd collosus blades

>> No.7254716

>>7252361
Spears or polearms are great because of the huge range (although not all of them have this) and because a lot of the uniques can reach the last attack-speed breakpoint, something few axes can do. The obvious downside is that they all need absurd amounts of dex to use.
Swords have an advantage in that they have different breakpoints and need less IAS to cap out.
Maces have low to non-existent dex requirements and have quite a few good options both for 1h and 2h, and you can abuse the dance of death to circumvent the shit attack speed many of them have. Maces also include staves, and elite staves happen to have similar damage to other elite items despite still having normal-tier attribute requirements, hence why up'd Ribcracker is such a standout item.

>> No.7254719

>>7254716
Aren't you gonna need dex anyways to have enough AR to hit anything?

>> No.7254787

>>7254719
Just toss on Angelic's for infinite attack rating.

>> No.7255190

>>7247607
Decrep + clay golem + hit slows target on a Merc + ice damage, plus stacking a million revieves with CB on an act boss will make them take ages to finish a single attack. You basically freeze them in place and step away as you watch their HP drop to nothing.

>> No.7255209

>>7245290
Summonmancer is all about corpse explosion. You really only need your skeletons to do enough damage to drop a few guys and act as a shield. Corpse explosion fully leveled will let you wipe an area larger than the screen in a few casts on hell with no + skills. It's fire and physical damage and amp damage will double the damage and break immunities.

Just keep decrep on hand for fast enemies and always have blind ready for areas with gloams or other heavy hitting casters. You can blind them and it basically gets rid of them.

All the damage from the build comes from CE. For acts bosses you use revives with CB.

In Act I hell you can start buying teleport staves and that will let you stack your army on a spot and move quicker. A necromancer with no + to skills wearing all P topaz gear and other MF stuff can still clear the Pits pretty quickly with teleport and CE. It's also pretty safe because your army is a giant shield.

>> No.7255217

>>7255209
Although it no longer scales with more players, CE with just a point scales with monster health and is easily doubled by just 1 point in amp damage, making it easily out damage characters with elite gear. Really the highest output spell in the game. If necromancers came with teleport I think they'd be the go to over the sorceress.

>> No.7255310

>>7255209
You can already buy teleport staffs in act 3 normal. As an added bonus you can do a neat trick to save time while shopping for one if you're under lvl24, because then you only need to check the staffs that are red in the shop.

>> No.7255592

>>7255217
>If necromancers came with teleport
Everyone comes with teleport except poor shapeshifter and amazon niggas.
>I think they'd be the go to over the sorceress.
Uh-oh. Watch out there, anon. You will anger resident autists.

>> No.7256602

>>7253450
Why would you use colossus blades over berserker axes?

>> No.7256646

>only need Eld or 2 more El to build Passion
RUNE STUCK

RUNE STUCK

>> No.7256685

>>7254787
>have angelics ring+ammy
>one 54 AR grand charm in inventory
>p diamond socketed in Jalal's
>lvl 24 werewolf and fury
>ravenfrost
>demon limb on switch
>STILL. ONLY. ~85% CHANCE TO HIT ANYTHING
AAOEHFOIGHD
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO

>> No.7256723

>>7256685
You should be well over the hit chance limit with that kind of gear, your issue is being severely underleveled. The hit formula weighs relative level and AR vs defense equally.

>> No.7256783

>>7256723
Correction: 77% chance to hit on act 3 hell trash mobs. I'm lvl 77, is that seriously not enough? When I had a paladin ages ago he had no problem hitting everything with zeal, I barely even knew what AR did back then I just didn't think about it. He was only like lvl 80. Are the zeal AR and fanat AR bonuses just that op?

>> No.7256791

>>7256783
How much AR do you have as a number?

>> No.7256816

>>7256783
Never mind, I'm completely misremembering how shitty melee is in this game. The formula I remembered was off by a factor of 2. Your best option is to throw on another Angelic's ring, and even still that'll probably only put you at 90%, still shy of the cap.

>> No.7256820
File: 90 KB, 336x393, Burgers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7256791
The 77% must have been a unique or something. It was after a pack of beetle guys.

>> No.7256971

>>7256685
time for the Blessed Aim A2 merc.

>> No.7256972
File: 88 KB, 324x402, stat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7256820
Your AR is a bit better than my barb's lol

>> No.7256995

PlugY 14.01 is out, you nerds

>> No.7257040

>>7256685
>85% chance to hit

Those are good odds, my nigger.

>> No.7257329

>>7256971
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.
>>7256816
I can't let go of ravenfrost for the CBF, although I do have a duriel's shell laying around that could work. If I did that then I'd take a 30 res hit in light fire and poison though, and that'd hurt more than the AR gainz I think.
>>7256972
Do you hit anything? Where are you at in the game?
>>7257040
I play online so that 85% feels like an effective 65% with all the BULLSHIT desync or whatever.

>> No.7257405

>>7257329
>Where are you at in the game?
At hell ancients, though I mostly just run past shit not worth fighting like guest monster infidels. I think I could beat ancients already, if I set up a lot of extra potions on the floor and rerolled their mods until it's a good setup, but I want to get atleast one actually good weapon before finishing the game. Value point in battle cry is one hell of a drug, untwinked barbarian would be literally unplayable instead of just figuratively unplayable without that skill.

>> No.7257420

>>7256820
>No AOE damage
>Have to get close to monsters
>Need decent weapon
>Still do less damage than a level 60 synergized Sorc's AOE spells which hit 100% of the time while you miss a third of shots.
What was Blizzard thinking with melee?

>> No.7257535

>>7227470
Ok Aaron

>> No.7258000

>>7257420
>physical hit chance is based on the difference of levels between the player and the enemy
>normal Baal is level 60

>> No.7258267

PLUGY 1.14 OUT!

I REPEAT

PLUGY 1.14 OUT

http://plugy.free.fr/en/index.html

>> No.7258326

>>7257420
With DS, CB and to lesser extent OW melee characters do shitload of single target damage which is comparable to strongest casters. It's probably even higher when dealing with act bosses, ubers and some high HP superuniques. The lack of AoE and heavy dependency on equip is bad but on the other hand melee characters have more survivability. Also they don't depend on +skills equipment that much.

>> No.7258546

>>7258000
Just pull out Malice and drain his defense to zero after 4 hits.

>> No.7258573

>>7258326
But they depend on gear on general way more. A necromancer and sorceress can solo nightmare naked. Melee is an absolute slog from Act 5 normal on without getting twinkled with a handful of unique weapons or getting early rune words because damage mods for items around level 24-55 are ass.

Untwinkled I've only find auradins do ok, and that's because the damage comes from a spell, and you still need a hit ignores defense weapon to make good solo progress.

>> No.7258624

>>7258326
Bosses is where they shine. If you fought Baal on the mountain of corpses you fight before him, or if Diablo came out with all the corpses still around, a necromancer could absolutely shred them.

I have to imagine play testing is why Baal's elite minions can't be revived too. Imagine having 25+ ultra high HP stun+CB revives to stack on him? Even better if the corpses stayed too and you could amp him and rapid cast dozens of 34,000 damage corpse explosions that cover the screen and then get doubled by amp damage.

>> No.7258627

>>7258573
>nightmare
That's not much of a feat. I would have to think really hard to come up with a build that would have problems finishing the game on nightmare.
Also I don't know how literally you've meant the naked thing because if we are talking, like, really naked, it also means no FCR. If you meant "naked" then the comparison fails a little bit because there are some blatantly overpowered low level runewords that make the game rather easy for a melee character. I mean, everyone can make Insight, which thanks to high ED, critical strike and AR bonus actually does hilarious amount of damage, or Obedience. All for the price of few runes that drop all the time.

>> No.7258645

Is attack rating and 'chance to hit' really even necessary in ARPGs like Diablo? Spells never miss, so it just seems like a holdover from old-school RPGs that gimps melee skills.

>> No.7258664

>>7258645
Yes, but only because crushing blow exists.

>> No.7258719

>>7258664
So add a cap to CB% or make it work more like static field
Then melee builds can be free to have hit things and wear gear other than gore riders/Gface

>> No.7258754

Is there a guide/list for Diablo II essentials? Thinking about getting back into it again because PlugY updated.

>> No.7259028

Has anyone tried the new plugy yet?

>> No.7259152

>>7245290
An easy runeword that will get you a +1 to skills is a Lore helmet. Also try to get some +skills amulets and what not.
But CE with an increased radius is what you want to aim for. Getting that first kill is all you need, the rest is easy.

>> No.7259164
File: 621 KB, 2536x3265, Mathis_Gothart_Grünewald_011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7231641
>he doesn't know about St. Maurice
back to school with you faggot

>> No.7259170

>>7257420
they should've increases the chances of magic and elemental immunes in the later stages of the game to equal the playing field

>> No.7259235
File: 98 KB, 700x754, 1508931200970.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7240104
boof yourself with a Demon Limb Tyrant Club for 218% bonus attackrating. You can store it in the stash and reboof every 11 mins. Also, look for a -25% and up target defense to a full blown ignore target defense.

>> No.7259251

>>7245290
Since you're on Nightmare, a good place to farm for +skill charms is the Zakarum priests, they have the highest possibility to drop such items in the game.

>> No.7259262
File: 625 KB, 800x600, sword.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Found this while trying to get an Eld rune from hell Countess, pretty ebin.

>> No.7259441

>>7259262
wow 2 sockets too. will you boost it to 60 IAS with those shaels in your inventory? very nice find.

>> No.7259485

>>7258627
I've run the Pits and the Act II level 85 area with a level 80 necromancer with absolutely no gear on.

Get summons in the Blood Moore. Because of how mercs and summons scale they can take down zombies and you can slowly trigger the AI. Grab some revives as extra meat too.

Then head down to your destination. A full base army is capable of downing a few bodies even with a bad unique around. Use CE/amp to screen wipe and just stay focused on maintaining a full complement of summons for safety.

Hardest part is mashing Mana potions from the inventory and ensuring you don't chain CE too fast and leave corpses for summons.

Making decrep + clay golem makes everything safer, but slower. Aside from gloams being a risk, you can grind your way through almost all of hell with absolute garbage gear or even no gear on.

>> No.7259519

>>7258627
Obedience is not cheap. You'd have to run the Countess dozens of times to have a shot at those or Kurast and you'd be hard pressed to do so without a good weapon already.

Aside from that, it takes away holy shield as an option.

Insight in a staff is a fine option, particularly for Druids and Barbs. The fact is, for decent balance there should be words like Insight, with IAS for every weapon type or weapon base damage and speed should be radically altered. Cruel should also spawn at lower levels. Blues and rares are mostly worthless from level 15-60 on melee because the mods are all trash.

>> No.7259718

>>7259441
I think it's already at -35 which is the highest breakpoint for one-handed WW weapons. I threw a random +14 max damage jewel I had on it and put a perfect skull in the other socket. Slight brainfart but I didn't really have anything better, oh well atleast I have Hel runes to spare in case I find some nice jewels.

>> No.7259803

>>7228606
any pastebn, etc like with the DOOM thread?

>> No.7259813

>>7245823
Nah, the eurogarbage that think everyone in the usa is brown and that the whole country is like Los Angeles are retarded. I enjoyed playing a poison/bone necro back in the day. Bump.

>> No.7259828

>>7259485
You've chosen a single build that indeed doesn't need literally any equip. Now try to do the same with PSN or bone necro. It's gonna be shit. Same with sorceress.
>>7259519
If we are mediocre equip, sorceresses with close to zero +skills are not that hot. Now look at some low level weapon runewords. I've already mentioned Insight, which is level 27 (fucking lmao I didn't even realize that). Then there is Honor, which can be made in any kind of weapon. That's also level 27 with 160ED, +9 dmg, deadly strike, AR, life leach. That's a lot of damage and other useful mods. You also can't discard normal and exceptional uniques. There are plenty of good weapons which will carry you at the beginning and in the mid game. Unique short sword, axe and mace are awesome at the beginning. If you didn't find these, you can make Strength. Then you can find unique maul, battle sword, cleaver or other exceptional uniques. You would have to be really unlucky to not find one of these somewhere along the way.
You don't exactly have to run countess only. Fal and Ko runes drop often enough and you can also cube them up from lower runes.

>> No.7259836

>>7259803
I've seen people say you can just download the installer files from Blizzard's official website and use whatever cd keys you can find, obviously won't work for online play.

>> No.7259884

Has anyone done a Dagger Necro in a while? I've thought about doing it but not sure how viable it can be.
I'm on 1.14d

>> No.7259936

>>7259519
yeah magic weapons really got shafted. virtually every other item slot has some kind of viable combination of magic rolls that could potentially be part of a well-geared, and in some cases even endgame, character
>armor: sockets/life potential
>helm: sockets/ life potential + GG circlet potential rolls
>rings: more MF potential than even perfect Nagel ring + high res/stat combos and FCR potential
>amulet: 2/10 and 3/10 potentials as well as highest single slot MF potential at 50
>boots: 40 FRW boots already useful enough to be used with no other mods, but can additionally roll a good res mod as a bonus. also good MF potential that is easily shopped for
>gloves: 20 IAS gloves also useful enough to use on their own with no prefix, but also hold the potential of the best-in-slot rolls like Lancer's and Kenshi's 3/20 gloves
>shield: Jeweler's Monarch of Deflecting, naturally. But magic shields as a whole also got pretty screwed over
>belt: life = res potential and able to shop for
>Weapon:
I suppose there actually is some potential in rolls like 300 ED/40 IAS, and for a time these were actually sought after. Socketed Cruel Colossus Blades were even once the law of the land. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a melee character these days who seriously uses a magic weapon over the other options aside from amazon. The only decent weapons you can shop for barring wands are magic javelin combos like 2/40, 3/40, or even increased stack and replenish quantity mods which I've found to be useful playing on single player. Anya makes shopping for these very possible.
You can also shop some good rolls on war scepters for hammerdins since scepters have FCR in the affix pool, but melee builds are once again shafted unless you're going for something like holy shock and find a 6+ shock 40 IAS scepter or something. the fact remains that you don't really have much hope of finding viable physical damage on a magic item on a casual playthrough, especially on one-handed weapon.

>> No.7259992

>>7259028
Restarted Holy Grail today. Wish there was a loot filter for 1.14 but I'll manage.

>> No.7260073

>switched over to killing normal countess
>killed her a couple dozen times so far, still no Eld or a third El
(can't wake up)

>> No.7260075

>>7259828
I've been playing more than a decade and literally had about 2 fals and 1 ko drop. I would never count any rune above sol as a reliable drop. You overestimate how easy it is to make mid tier runewords. Um or mal? Forget it.

>> No.7260129

>>7260075
You are doing something terribly wrong. Just killing monsters should drop you more of these you would ever need. But I kinda understand you. I also thought it's virtually impossible to find high runes like Ber by myself but then actually started hunting for runes properly and voila. Finding Fal-tier runes really shouldn't be that difficult, though.

>> No.7260168
File: 631 KB, 800x600, goddamn eld rune.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finally, not amazing but my powerlevel is acceptably high now.

>> No.7260384

>>7260073
I think El is the least likely rune for Normal Countess to drop. You may have better luck setting players 8 and running norm tombs.

>> No.7260434

Finally killed hell Baal with my 100% self found WW barb. Somehow completely stomped hell ancients without breaking a sweat, immediedly proceeded to almost die multiple times to random unique packs on WSK1 lol

>> No.7260476

>>7239228
what are the changes in 1.14

>> No.7260557

>>7260129
>but then actually started hunting for runes properly
Alright anon, let's hear it. All I know is that rune drops are not affected by magic find, and it's all about quantity over quality, i.e., kill loads of shit in hell mode. Unlike mfing for uniques/sets, champions/uniques/act bosses don't really help your hunt for runes unless it's the countess. She can only drop up to ist iirc. Oh and hellforge obviously, but that's a one time thing.

>> No.7260581

>>7260557
>he doesn't run 2x campfire LK on P8 and rake in the runes

>> No.7260635

>>7260168
CHALAN HEAD-CHALAN
Nani ga okite mo kibun
wa heno-heno kappa

>> No.7260668

I swear runes confuse the fuck out of me and I never played enough to get a hang of them. Reading this thread is confusing. I know how to look up runewords, but runes (by themselves) I'm terrible at figuring out which ones are worth saving and which to vendor.

>> No.7260684

>>7260668
Install Plugy and hoard all of them.

>> No.7260685

>>7260557
A) Do LK runs like a pleb. Fuck that.
B) Next time you gonna run Bhaal or Diablo, don't just teleport to the end of the quest but clear all of the CS or WK. Applies to pits and all other lvl85 areas. This is for characters with good AoE like sorc or necro.
C) Cows, obviously.
D) For characters without AoE, run hell council. Works very well with barb because of find item.
Always play with /players to 3, maybe players 5 or 7 but only if it doesn't kill your clear speed.
Besides runes you will also get a lot of whites and greys for runeword bases, yellows and if you are running lvl85 areas, also those shitty lvl87 uniques you've probably never seen.

>> No.7260718
File: 302 KB, 1920x1080, 1593660690772.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>literally found a ko immediately after making my posts

>> No.7260723

>>7260684
That's what I'll be doing, I was holding off on jumping back into vanilla until PlugY 1.14 hit, so as soon as I'm done with this one median xl character its vanilla (-ish) all the way. Just gotta figure out what build to play.

>> No.7260729

>>7260685
the funny thing about running LK is that I've probably found more mid and high runes out of the billions of logs, skeletons, regular chests and other poppables than I have out of the actual campfire chests

>> No.7260741

>>7260718
CG. Also, that's the Charles Bridge in Prague, right?

>> No.7261615

I've never gotten anything even remotely good by doing LK runs, barely even see low runes from popping the superchests.

>> No.7262145
File: 465 KB, 800x600, Screenshot001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7259992
What a nice start.

>> No.7262219

>>7260075
Also playing for a decade and have seen every rune drop multiple times. What setup are you running? I don't remember which one increased rune drop rate, think it was 1.13 patch? The patch is consistent, every character I farmed with got high runes enough.

Use AOE classes like corpse explosion necro, sorc, and hammerdin and focus on lvl 85 areas with mob density plus Cows. Cow level is 81 but can drop up to Zod! LK runs are boring as fuck, but yield Mals, Ohms, Surs. Last year I played on 1.13 and had enough runes to build Last Wish, Infinity, BotD, with few to spare. Also depends on how much time you spend farming, I had about 2-3 hours daily, sometimes more. And remember #1 of Diablo 2 farming
>never search for particular item
The game knows and it will fuck you up royally.

I would also advise getting loot filter to notify you when something drops especially for LK runs because chests drop a ton of shit which you have to sift through. I don't want to think how many times I didn't see something drop. Recently Dbrunski had a Andariel runs with Gul dropping in blood pool chamber, only saw it because of loot filter.

>> No.7263190

>>7260434
>Somehow completely stomped hell ancients
They are the most inconsistent fight in the game. They have randomized equipment, so sometimes they end up with retarded amounts of damage.

>> No.7263230

>>7257420
Spells were weaker than melee very early on before buyable mana pots, synergies etc.
The only nerf to spells was the introduction of monster immunities, but then you have shit like Hammerdin that has like 5 monsters in the game to worry about.

>> No.7263269

>>7263230
Melee is still potentially very strong but needs far better gear to scale like that.

>> No.7263278

>>7263230
>Spells were weaker than melee very early on before buyable mana pots, synergies etc.
Nah, not really, that's only maybe true for PvP. You used to be able to spam Blizzard endlessly with no cooldown and ignore immunities with Cold Mastery, as far as farming is concerned melee was irrelevant. Melee has only been able to compete with spells after the introduction of synergies thanks to Enigma and the Ubers.

>> No.7263331

How would you go about building around Iron Golem? It's one of my favorite skills but I've always passed it over for clay

>> No.7263387

>>7263331
Never used any other golem than Clay but if I remember correctly Iron Golem keeps properties of the item used for summoning and it will not disappear when you exit game. Therefore you can effectively use it as an aura carrier. Basically you can have a single additional active aura. I would create a build with this in mind. That being said, I don't think it can be used effectively as a primary fighting force. Shit damage, shit aspd.

>> No.7263461

>>7263331
From IK Maul to have Crushing Blow. Then you immediately cast Clay Golem :) or golem just decides to get stuck and despawn. Never bothered much with it although it's a fun spell. Cool thing it's eth if you spawn it from eth items.

>> No.7263484

>>7263387
I imagine they could be quite useful if they were made out of things like Kelpie Snare, 3x Shael Hone Sundan, and Woestave. Even a Malice might be effective and extremely cheap. not sure if the Drain Life mod on a Malice would kill it though.
Or if you want something meme-tier and not at all worth the investmentDelirium Iron Golem

>> No.7263573

Fire Golems' aura draws aggro away from the merc.
Clay for bosses.
Beast iron golem for richfags
Insight IG for big brains
If you run dkeys, Tomb Vipers will eventually kill your IG so I never bothered with a Beast IG even on bnet.

>> No.7263609

I should add, the Blood Golem used to steal health with Iron Maiden and made the nec pretty much invulnerable. It was fixed in the release of LdD, and no one has cast a Blood Golem with a straight face since 2001

>> No.7264096

>>7260741
No idea, just a sick pape I picked up from /wg/.
>>7262219
Alright, so I haven't been playing consistently since high school. I get the itch every year or two and play like a madman for a couple of months and then let it rest. While I'm playing I'll do like an hour or two of farming a day. I always make either a meteorb sorc or a summon necro. If sorc, it's hell meph, andy, and ancient tunnels/pit. With summon necro it's 85 areas, no hell meph. I've done tons of WSK and chaos sanctuary clears lately. Here is my complete list from memory:
>Zod through Ohm
Never seen them drop once.
>Vex
I've had one (1) drop
>Gul
One off of a hellforge
>Ist
One or two off hellforge/countess
>Mal
One off hellforge
>Um through Ko
Can probably count on one had the amount of each I've seen drop. So 2-5 of each over the years.
>Lum and below
who cares a bunch

I'd call myself a lucklet, but I had two soj's drop last week. If you have found all the runes you say you have, then I'd call you very lucky.

>> No.7264321
File: 511 KB, 800x600, Screenshot003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7264096
These are leftovers after building all good runewords. I would say 2 hours daily play on average throughout 6 months or so with consistent drops.

>> No.7264332

>>7264321
Literally what the fuck
Go play the lottery

>> No.7264340

>>7264332
>dood youre so lucky
>playing mod
lol

>> No.7264349
File: 521 KB, 800x600, Screenshot004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7264332
You think? Look at this boy.

>> No.7264351

>>7264340
PlugY doesn't change drop rates but is essential mod. Game is unplayable without it.

>> No.7264359

>>7264351
*Holy Grail but I guess it extends to entire game anyway.

>> No.7264435
File: 364 KB, 800x600, swag.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7264332
It's really nothing that exceptional, you know. Even on battle net someone needs to drop these to trade them later.

>> No.7264747

>>7264349
nice

>> No.7264775

>>7264435
You are severely downplaying the astronomically low chances of these items dropping. You must be aware of it or just modded them in, and I would guess are trying to elicit a reaction of awe.
>even on bnet someone needs to drop these to trade them later
I don't know if people can dupe on bnet still, but it's bots. Automated characters running every. single. thing. 24/7. Far far beyond the human limit to grind. That's where runes come from online. They might as well not exist for the offline player.

>> No.7264923

The fuck do I put points into as a werebear druid in median XL? I put points into werebear form, rend, hunger, idol of scosglen, and barkskin any time another base level is possible, but I'm drowning in unspent points. At level 52 I have 10 unspent points. I have 2 in the crawly dudes, and I guess I may as well dump the rest of my points there seeing as how I have so few skills I can even use in this build.

>> No.7265395

>>7260668
>which to vendor.
none.... you can uptier runes in the cube gotta hoard em all dude

>> No.7265428

>>7264923
with a lot of builds before lv90 because of the skill lv cap youll have a bunch of unspent points till you can dump them into skills like lets say at lv 55 you're able to lv like 5 skills by 3 lvs and then maybe be able to lv one at 58/60 also keep in mind you are able to get endgame stuff that adds to the skill maxcap lv by 1

>> No.7265836

>>7264775
Empirically speaking, you are wrong. I didn't cheat in any of my drops and I don't think the other dude did, either.
I wouldn't even call the odds astronomicaly low. Numerically they are kinda low (still many times higher than winning a jackpot in lottery, by the way) if we are talking ordinary monsters but you are also slay thousands of monsters every hour. Then there is LK, where the chance of getting a Ber from every single campfire superchest is estimated to be 1:65k, so about 1:11k with 6 chests available. Every hell council member drops Jah with chance of about 1:210k, so about 1:23k with 9 council members present and you can even raise the chance by using barbarians's find item.
One dude told me that he could get one Ber per day by running a bot doing LK runs all 24/7. This means that I could do the same in about 20-30 days by doing the same for one hour per day.

>> No.7266093

>>7265836
>the chance of getting a Ber from every single campfire superchest is estimated to be 1:65k, so about 1:11k with 6 chests available. Every hell council member drops Jah with chance of about 1:210k, so about 1:23k with 9 council members present
This is not how probability works

>> No.7266101

>>7264351
if you seriously think diablo 2 is "unplayable" without a mod, you are the biggest faggot on planet earth.

>> No.7266158

>>7266093
For the sake of the argument it's close enough.

>> No.7266558

>>7264096
Don't waste your time farming bosses. This is why you aren't seeing as many runes. Killing mobs is the best way to find runes. Check the river of flame every game, often enough it spawns with no cold immunes.

>> No.7266605

>>7266558
Unless you're farming Mephisto, in which case always kill all the council members in the Durance and always pop the chest in back of the area.

>> No.7267401

>>7248142
>I guess the strike chance could be tweaked down to (12 + slvl/5) %
Okay, it's in, and you'll be able to get a better idea of what it should be at when you get to test it.

As for the rest of the changes, it's mostly done. There are just a few more obnoxious to implement things that will take a while to get working while minimizing how hideous they look. Do you have the item changes thought out? If so, we could get started on that.

>> No.7267893

>>7267401
>Do you have the item changes thought out?
I've almost got the elemental damage socketables and magic affixes sorted, there's just some numbers I initially made too high that I need to adjust first.

>> No.7269082

>>7264775
>You are severely downplaying the astronomically low chances of these items dropping.
Nah, he's right. 1.13 rune drop rates are absurd, they increased the odds by an order of magnitude. I've never seen an HR in my life until 1.13, and I've gotten at least one HR on each of my two single pass /players 8 clears.

>> No.7270478
File: 46 KB, 645x773, 287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Rancid Gas Potion

>> No.7270647

it's too bad the combat potions are totally worthless past normal. I've always wondered if there was some kind of sorc build that could actually get decent damage out of exploding potions by pumping fire mastery, fire faceting all other gear and getting conviction from merc. I don't know if enchant increases fire potion damage, but if it does, that could also be cool.
I wonder, could a mod actually make potions semi-useful by giving them 'hidden' affixes like the inherent properties of paladin shields? poison potions could have things like prevent monster heal that lasts a little beyond the poison itself, or varying degrees of minus target defense or minus enemy poison resistance. maybe exploding potions could have open wounds, so even though they still wouldn't do much damage, they would at least have some kind of utility and someone might conceivably keep one on switch to tackle monsters or bosses with high rates of healing, like Lord De Seis.
Maybe you could introduce magic rolls for potions altogether and give them access to the fire and poison damage affixes accordingly (among other mods, not just those) so you could have a chance of rolling pestilent rancid gas potion of anthrax with some actual damage on it. still wouldn't be anything massive since 450ish damage is not a lot in Hell. but at least it would be something.

>> No.7270678

>>7270647
I was actually about to ask if there was a thrown potion build, because it seems like that would be fun as hell to try. Then again I've never tried a thrown build because it seems like you'd get this nice weapon but it only has X uses then its fucking gone. Unless there's a way to replenish uses of thrown items.

>mad bomber barb dual wielding explosive potions

>> No.7270704
File: 9 KB, 106x100, 3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7270478

>> No.7270708

>>7259884
bump for interest

>> No.7270717

>>7270678
even regular throw barb isn't that great of a build unfortunately
your ammo runs out too quickly

>> No.7270726

>>7270678
If poison charms added their damage to thrown potions, then maybe a barb with a full inventory of maximum poison damage small charms, wearing Bramble, and holding a Death's Web in his off hand could be semi-viable. but yeah the quantity issue would be a stumbling block. You'd have to give them the ability to replenish or let blacksmiths repair them and not have them disappear when they reach 0 like the other magic throwing weapons. Maybe all the potion sellers could have a modified "Repair All" button on their merchant screens called "Refill All" or something. If that's even possible.

>> No.7270737

>>7270717
I figured as much. Honestly is there really any downside to just making ammo infinite for that kind of stuff? I can't imagine that would ever be that overpowered.

>>7270726
Ah, so magic (and above) thrown weapons don't just poof out of existence? At least theres that, though you need to leave to 'refill'.

I feel like "thrown weapon' affecting stuff would be something neat for mods to add, but Median XL removed thrown potions entirely, and PlugY doesn't touch stuff like that at all.

>> No.7270761

>>7270647
+% Skill Damage doesn't work with potions, only -enemy resistance%. The only way you'll ever get a decent potion throwing build going is with mods, although of the hundred something mods I've played I've seen zero with competent throwing potions. It was never meant to be.

>> No.7270765

>>7270737
There's axes that replenish quantity on their own but no way to make the ammo infinite as far as I'm aware.

>> No.7270792

>>7270761
>+% Skill Damage doesn't work with potions, only -enemy resistance%
that's unfortunate, but at least the -resistance of facets could offer something. I guess wearing Bramble would be pointless then.
Fire mastery does increase exploding potion damage, though, doesn't it? I always thought it did because of the way lightning mastery can dramatically increase your melee damage if you pick up one of those wands with 400+ lightning damage on them.

>> No.7270816

>>7270792
>Fire mastery does increase exploding potion damage, though, doesn't it?
As far as I'm aware they don't synergize. Potions are all regarded as throwing weapons and the damage doesn't stack unfortunately.

>> No.7270847

>>7270816
that's so weird, I always thought it did. I'm guessing Enchant doesn't effect exploding potion damage either, then?

>> No.7270852

>>7267401
>>7267893
Alright, I have the numbers for the equipment elemental affix and elemental damage from socketables changes. I'm not sure if they're implementable as is, as in whether having variable ranges and level scaling are compatible.

https://pastebin.com/4dHepz27

>> No.7270908

>>7270678
Trapsin spamming Fire Blast is the closest you will get to a working potion build.

>> No.7270913

>>7270847
not sure but I assume it doesn't

>> No.7270928

Shit I didn't remember that Median XL 1.8 is releasing today along with a new season. Just got my werebear to Nightmare last I played, but may as well abandon it for now (since its SP anyway) and make a seasonal character. Now what build to try. Thinking some form of Necro.

>> No.7271159 [DELETED] 
File: 540 KB, 800x600, the shown stat values are for display purposes only and not representative of the final product.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7270852
That should mostly work, the only issue is the gem stat displayer is hardcoded garbage. It forces all the stats on the same line and erases commas from combined stats. It goes well off the screen even if I shorten the stat descriptors. As such, you should reconsider the stats for Chipped/Flawed Sapphires/Rubies. Everything else should be fine.

>> No.7271179

>>7270928
Started a Totem necro, seems like it'll be really fun once I get a more reliable teleport than teleporting to my brainless (and skill level 1) skele.

>> No.7271310

>>7271179
Slam a Nef rune in to a staff and get yourself Blink.

>> No.7271329

>>7271310
Yeah I saw that in a totemancer guide so that's going to be my top priority early on. Though it was also partially solved when I tried out an Iron Golem... that motherfucker is aggro as shit and he runs around punching anything on the screen at all times as if he'd be deleted from the game if he didn't do so. So I can just teleport to him in most cases.

>> No.7271368

>>7270928
>Median XL 1.8 is releasing today
>https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?t=60099
oof look at those barb stats that nerf just slaughtered ever rolling a barb
also god damn just look at the drop rate for those ultra rare items fucking one of them got 0 drops all season

I mean just look at this shit only 1 dropped https://median-xl.fandom.com/wiki/Storm_Blade fucking savage sin weapon 5% chance jav nova >-70% enemy cold/fire/poi rez fucking minus S E V E N T Y 50% IAS and it gives you pounce lv3-9 as an oskill for insane teleport kill speed if I got one of these to drop I would instantly start grinding a sin to lv 120

azurewrath is also pretty cool its damage is based on vitality and dex really weird item you can only deal cold damage everything else gets hardcoded to 0 https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/items/sacreduniques
I'd make a meme amazon build based off the hailstorm oskill which you can only get from a zon helm runeword its the skill Izual uses its one of the really cool "secret" builds normally you use a war axe(rainbowcleave) till lv 100ish you end up with godly defense and block sanic fast speed plus rip and tear everything with massive cold damage with crazy -cold rez add in azurewrath I think you will out damage every build by a huge sum creating an ungodly glasscanon to bad its so fucking rare rarely if ever even dropping a ladder

>> No.7271384

>>7271368
>also god damn just look at the drop rate for those ultra rare items fucking one of them got 0 drops all season
The Buried Hawk? Someone mentioned in that thread that the item was removed entirely in the last patch/season, so it just couldn't drop at all.

>> No.7271397

>>7271384
ah it was removed that makes sense sometimes things do never drop a ladder tho

>> No.7272517

Is there some info or stuff we should put in the next thread's OP?

>> No.7272573

>play the hell 2 ironman mode
>goat shrine room
>carefully aggro lightning shooting goats and pick them off one by one
>seems pretty safe, let's walk in-
>three fuckers emerge from the shadows and instantly gangrape me

well that's a couple of hours wasted!

>> No.7272578

>>7272517
Warning to not bother with the PD2 trashpile.

>> No.7272708

>>7272573
>goat shrine room
>carefully aggro lightning shooting goats
Those guys are such a surprise difficulty spike compared to other base enemy types at those floors

>> No.7272807

>>7272573
>wasted
but unexpectedly losing your character to ridiculously high lightning damage is an integral part of the Diablo experience.

>> No.7272958

>>7272517
>https://pastebin.com/7EaAeCeW
Here's a pretty basic list of stuff for Diablo 2. It could probably be expanded with a list of different game versions (including the major changes, and how farming changed in each version), as well as mod recommendations.

>> No.7273095

>>7265395
at some point you should just stop picking up anything lower than an ort

>> No.7273160

>>7272958
That's a pretty nice paste, when the time comes whoever makes next OP should include it.

>> No.7273179

>>7273095
>lower than Ort
>passing up Rals

>> No.7273904

>>7260668
What I did was I just wrote all of it down on a piece of paper and I look at it whenever I'm confused.
Depending on the build you're trying to make, there should only be a few runewords that you'll need.
The good thing is every rune can be upgraded so even if you hoard a bunch of useless ones you can at least transmute them.

>> No.7273984

>>7273904
It's a bit more complicated than just runewords, there's also the upgrading/socketing recipes that require diffent types of runes, there's runes below the ones needed (for combining), and for the rune upgrades past Thul there's the different types of required gems some escaped mental patient who snuck into Blizzard's offices put into the recipes.

>> No.7274008

>>7273984
>some escaped mental patient who snuck into Blizzard's offices put into the recipes.
I assume that person is also responsible for some of the balancing & game mechanics in the game as well.

>> No.7274397

>>7273984
an easy way to remember the chipped gems recipes is that half of them share the first same letter as the rune they upgrade
>Thul/Topaz
>Amn/Amethyst
>Sol/Sapphire
these three will probably be your most common runes that take chipped gems to upgrade, but after Sol they drop this letter convention with Shaels taking rubies, Dols taking emeralds and Hels taking diamonds.
I've memorized all the gem/rune combos up until you get into the flawless recipes, because very rarely am I ever in a position where I'm transmuting runes that high, so on the rare occasion that I ever do need to cube up some Surs or Chams, I just look online to see what I need.

>> No.7275686

>>7274397
>I've memorized all the gem/rune combos up until you get into the flawless recipes
I still have to look it up every time I combine any runes that require a gem.

>> No.7275904

the only way to REALLY play and enjoy d2 is in hc ssf, not talking about that menal illness mode called ironman but regular ssf.

>> No.7276219

>>7275686
another way to remember is that the pattern of gems repeats through each tier of quality
It always goes
>Topaz
>Amethyst
>Sapphire
>Ruby
>Emerald
>Diamond
So if you know the order of runes, you can take a moment to work out what you'll need for anything given recipe. Io is the first rune that takes a flawed gem, so you can know by remembering the pattern that it needs a flawed topaz, Lum comes after Io, so of course Lum needs a flawed amethyst, Ko needs flawed sapphire, and so on and so on.
Flawless diamonds would pair with Zod, but since there's nothing after Zod, Flawless Diamonds become the one flawless gem that is never used to upgrade runes.

>> No.7276596

>>7272573
I'm in level 14 of a diablo 1 ironman run with a warrior....and there are witches. I can't decide to ditch my magic resist gear or not so I might actually have a chance to block....although blocking could kill me. Decisions decisions...

>> No.7276874

>>7276219
you also can't make a rejuvenation potion out of a diamond, but you can with every other regular gem
I guess the diamond is the odd one out

>> No.7276906

>>7276874
interesting. and of course, the regular diamond also has a unique graphic among gems.

>> No.7276918
File: 2.19 MB, 800x600, generating random ilvl 99 polearms.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7270852
Those changes are now in. It ended up requiring some weird workarounds, but it works (the exact scaling might be slightly off, but it should be accurate within 1 point of damage). The description cannot display poison damage/lvl properly, so I had to make up "Poison Bite" which has to be manually calculated to determine the normal damage calculation (poison bite * duration / 256 gives the equivalent of the vanilla poison damage display).

>> No.7277117

>>7276918
Nice, I guess the stuff must have been easier to do than I expected. One thing, would it be possible to make the poison affix damage display as damage per second instead of raw bit rate? If it's possible and doesn't require some major spaghetti, I think it would look a lot cleaner. Also, I noticed that was a lot of bad luck rolling the tiers of those mods, that's the D2 experince right there.

I'm currently figuring out all the Attacker Takes Damage stuff, after that I have some pretty good ideas for crafted item changes already.

>> No.7277335
File: 574 KB, 800x600, 1584313390703.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7277117
>would it be possible to make the poison affix damage display as damage per second instead of raw bit rate
Yeah, that's a good idea. I didn't even consider it since the solution costs a lot of available stat space, but this mod doesn't really need many new stats so it should be fine. The biggest danger of this method is that it involves a ton of new display stats that describe invisible stats, so if I fumble a number somewhere it won't be obvious how fucked it is without very carefully looking at the LCS.

>> No.7277502

>>7277335
I was more thinking the way that webm shows it, where it shows the bitrate (replaced with the calculated dps, like bitrate*25/256 or however it works) and duration as a separate lines where possible multiple poison sources on the item are added up. If everything needs it's own extra stat to display it and all the poison sources on the item display separately, the initial bit rate solution you came up with might be less messy.

>> No.7277520

>>7277335
>>7277502
Or actually did I misunderstand, is that image what it looks like without any of the hidden display stats?

>> No.7277637
File: 1.21 MB, 800x1200, top is fixed, bottom is not.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7277520
All you are seeing in that image are stats that display for the hidden stats (the hidden stats being poison duration/poison bit rate).

>>7277502
It isn't possible to do complex calculations with stats. You have a value and two strings, that's it. The only exceptions are hardcoded (e.g. damage ranges on damage stats, and the poison duration on the poison damage stat are hardcoded).

Also, it turns out that the poison damage/lvl stat is bugged in that since it has no direct relationship with a poison duration, it will add all sources of poison damage (like how the bugged 1.09 poison bows work). So to properly calculate such that it will not create comically gigantic cumulative poison values, I'll have to also add in a tiny amount of flat poison damage to every poisondmg/lvl affix and item.

>> No.7277708

>>7277637
Alright, I had no idea what's possible and what isn't with the item mod stuff. I think just showing the bit rate and duration like in that initial one might be the best/simplest option then, considering the actual damage is still visible on the character screen so it's pretty easy to check by re-equipping the item.

>> No.7279220

bump