[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 49 KB, 1200x400, 1200px-SEGA_logo.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7208152 No.7208152 [Reply] [Original]

SEGA was founded 60 years ago.

What are your favourite SEGA games/memories/consoles and more?

>> No.7208183

When the CEO died of shame because of the failure of the Dreamcast.

>> No.7208193

>>7208152
>2002
>dad asks me whether I want a GameCube or a Dreamcast for my birthday
>tell him I want a GameCube
>he gets me a Dreamcast
>given giant CD book filled to the brim with burned CDs, at least a hundred, all sorts of random shit including Japanese exclusives, seemingly picked at random
>spend hours and hours randomly going through them
>first game was Sonic 2, now shocked to find there were 3D Sonic games and I can play them, this fucking rules
>shitty game called Jet Set Radio that looks and sounds cool but it sucks to play, later becomes my favorite game of all time
>become obsessed with Marvel vs. Capcom 2, favorite character is Mega Man and this inspires me to play Mega Man games which I come to adore
Based dad.

>> No.7208236

Sonic is pretty cool. Also I liked Vectorman.

>> No.7208293

>>7208152
I swear Sega's had like 3 birthday events this year. Wtf is the deal?

>> No.7208301

>>7208293
Every time they run out of money and get bought out that date is considered a new birthday.

>> No.7208320

>>7208152
>Never the company
>Never drew a dime
>Never had a good game before 2005 and even then was carried by vastly superior games
>Never put anyone over
>Never had the balls to step out their Japan comfort even when Microsoft threw millions at them when the company needed it
>Instead, allowed themselves to get worked into a shoot by pachinko money marks
>Main evented the lowest drawing console generation
>Tanked the buyrate of Saturn outside Japan so hard it also tanked Dreamcast's buyrate, leading to the company quitting the console business
>Was barely ever supported by anyone because the company was never a big enough deal
>So stubborn it refused outside help from others when developing Saturn's architecture
>Only the 6th best arcade developer
>Only the 7th best console manufacturer
>Only the 9th best gaming mascot
>Only the 5th best rhythm game developer
>The company's mascot, Sonic the Hedgehog, was utterly BTFO by everything else and achieved nothing notable unless fans have 100% creative control on him
>Japanese and American branches constantly headbutts each other in backstage politics all up the ass
>Needed misleading performance enhancement advertising to beat SNES
>Bought Atlus, the company's only positive impact on the business, purely for the crossovers and weeb appeal
>Spent the rest of company's life carried by weebs and nostalgiafags
>Is the gaming equivalent of that one insufferably mediocre developer whose sole professional """""""achievement"""""" is staying in the same shitty business for years
>The biggest impact the company had on the business was sitting around in the back and telling one of their regional divisions to job to each other.

>> No.7208332

>>7208320
Why are people so obsessed with this company?

>> No.7208817

>>7208152
great arcade games. their consoles were wasted potential.

>> No.7208830

>>7208193
>given giant CD book filled to the brim with burned CDs, at least a hundred, all sorts of random shit including Japanese exclusives, seemingly picked at random
My dad did the exact same thing when I was a kid

>> No.7208839
File: 25 KB, 343x500, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7208152
>What is your favourite SEGA console?
Why, the Dreamcast, of course

>> No.7208943

What are your favourite Sega hidden gems? For me it's 18 Wheeler and Dirt Devils.

>> No.7208960
File: 135 KB, 850x1097, SEGACHAN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first sega memory
Probably playing Out Run on arcades when I was a toddler and barely reaching the pedals and the wheel simultaneously.
>favorite Sega memory
Probably the day I got my Genesis, turned it on, and played Thunder Force III and Sonic 1 for the first time
>games
All their racers, Space Harrier, Sonic (classic), Bonanza Bros, Shinobi series, Virtua Fighter series, Panzer Dragoon series, Castle of Illusion, Nights, Jet Grind Radio, etc
>consoles
Genesis>Saturn>DC

>> No.7208984
File: 612 KB, 1280x720, tublam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just imagine Sega and Nintendo teaming up to take on Sony...