[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 78 KB, 576x1024, 6E410F9D-F180-40D8-8BF6-9FF660E0AABB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7191858 No.7191858 [Reply] [Original]

A lot of people seem to credit Majora's Mask with introducing mature themes into the Zelda series, but I've always found OoT's story to be incredibly be very melancholy. Link begins the game as a young child in a beautiful, lush world, his only concern being a looming threat that he believes he can defeat. Link risks himself to save his homeland, only to realize that his own actions allowed evil to take root in the world, and despite the purity of his intentions, he caused the very thing he wished to prevent by pulling out the master sword and giving Ganon access the sacred realm. Link eventually becomes an adult and awakens in a world that is very much the opposite of the one he left as a child -- a dark world filled with dangers, one where even safe and sacred places like Kokiri have been infested with evil. Realizing what happened, he seeks to undo his mistakes and destroy Ganon -- but in the process, he is forced to travel back in time, undoing all of his original efforts and preventing anyone from ever knowing of his sacrafice. A selfless hero who traveled through time to right his own wrongs, only to be forgotten.

To me this echoes a sentiment many of us feel in adulthood -- the beauty and safety of childhood is replaced by awareness of the world's cruelty, and the many poor decisions we made in our youth come to define our adulthood and present obstacles we must overcome. We grow up, we have children, and we make many sacrafices of our own that those around us may never recognize. Maybe I'm reaching and giving the devs too much credit, but I feel this game has a very subtle and poetic statement to make about the struggles of adolescence and the pain of becoming a man.

Thanks for reading my gay post.

>> No.7193741

Was gonna say tldr but meh, decent write up

>> No.7193815

>>7191858
Just consume and consume more, you don't need to care about anything :-*

>> No.7193847

>>7191858
oot is the best game of all time and I feel sorry for those who don't experience the same joy the game brings me. If I could I would share that feeling with them fully. oot is proof games are art, what a wonderful game

>> No.7193896

>>7191858
Ur welcome faggot

>> No.7193908

>>7191858
>dude Zelda is like so deep and shit
yikes

>> No.7193972

>>7191858
This: >>7193908
You should consider actual cinema and literature, OP. I don't mean Harry Potter either, I mean real live grown up books like Dostoevsky, Chekov, Melville &c

>> No.7194383
File: 39 KB, 431x450, D4EEA014-046C-4438-9A74-40F452C4D523.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7193972
>video games can't be poetic, read my jewish books
no thank you, faggot

>> No.7194819

>>7193908
>>7193972
Saying that works of fiction have tone and theme isn't the same as projecting depth where there isn't. Obviously Zelda isn't going to be a great work of literature, but that doesn't mean that having an emotional connection to it is the behavior of the ignorant and pedestrian. Pretty sad that you've (allegedly) read so much about the human condition and yet can only relate to others through disdain.

>> No.7194860

>>7191858
>Maybe I'm reaching and giving the devs too much credit, but I feel this game has a very subtle and poetic statement to make about the struggles of adolescence and the pain of becoming a man.

Should've started with this sentence. You're a manchild and projecting your crisis on a children's story

Only thing fucked in zelda was knowing when you woke up at the end of links awakening you're going to kill everyone on the island, and you do it anyway