Can we just talk about MML in general?
The first game has a lot of really startling implications, like the empty cities near the end. When you read on their lore, it says they were designed to house something called "Prototype Anthro Unit" (Original Human Unit in Japanese). However, when Trigger arrives in those cities, there's no one around, except the guard system.
By going back to the origins of the Humans in MML, I realized a sort of parallel between MML and an anime series called Combat Mecha Xabungle. In Xabungle, the Earth is devastated by a nuclear war, and the original humans (called Innocent) live in domes that protect them from the outside. Their bodies don't seem to acclimate well to the new atmosphere. To make Earth habitable again, they created two races:
- Hanawans, which are some sort of fish-like people, and
- Civilians, which look just like humans, but are more "rugged", so they can live on the planet outside of the domes
In Xabungle, the Innocent employ the Civilians to search for "blue rocks" (actually nuclear fission material) to send it to space in a pillar of light. Probably to make Earth habitable to themselves again. The parallels are:
- Innocent are the Original Humans (like Master in Elysium)
- Hanawans are Prototype Anthro Units (a failed race that lives underground, and the Innocent want to exterminate them)
- Civilians are Carbons/Decoys (look just like humans, but are better suited to the environment)
- Blue Rocks are Refractors (although Refractors are energy sources, contrarily to blue rocks)