[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.93 MB, 1200x1645, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7178110 No.7178110 [Reply] [Original]

Why does the videoretro community consider Super Mario 2 Bros. - Mario Madness to be the worst 2D sidescrolling scotformer in the Mario franchise?

>> No.7178114

It's better than the New Super Mario Bros. games.

>> No.7178121

>>7178110
The mayors aren't enough of a challenge, and there are too few terror zones in the game.

>> No.7178125

>>7178114
The new super mario games are unironically better than world but it's hard to that with the same graphics and the amount shat out. Wii, wii u, and Luigi u all are fantastic.
>>7178110
Also super mario 2 usa is awesome

>> No.7178135

>>7178114
Its the best fucking Mario game. And stop saying Scotformer OP.

>> No.7178207

>>7178114
I thought Wii was really meh especially compared to DS which I enjoyed alot.

>> No.7178285

>>7178110
Did you know? Not enough of a retro feel. But what did I think of it now that the dust has settled for you

>> No.7178332

>>7178110
It's not "Mario enough", so gotta whine about this timeless classic. For some reason, it's easier to praise shit that's even less mario like, like the flashy 3D games and their nonsense that are completely divorced from the franchise roots and philosophy.

>> No.7178338

>>7178110
I haven't played the new Mario games past the wii games but personally I didn't like how it all amounts to pick up and throw gimmicks. I like my Marios to be about running and jumping, I don't need no stupid throw gimmick.
The blocks you throw in World are also kind of gay but I can cope a bit better.

>> No.7178357
File: 90 KB, 565x352, aussielead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's the aussie skitzo poster again
>lol It's the aussie skitzo poster again

>> No.7178396

it's the quintessential shitflinger

>> No.7178406

>I know, if I shitpost hard enough, even though everyone can tell it's a shitty forced meme by just me, then maybe, just maybe, kids in the future will derail SMB2 threads with mario madness scotformers!
Not how memes work, guy.

>> No.7178882

>>7178110
Dare I say this topic is /vr/'s quintessential shitpostvania?

>> No.7179565

>>7178110
Because it wasn't marpig-adjacent.

>> No.7181169

imagine my surprise the first time I went to jump on a Shy Guy's head, and instead of instantly dying, he took me for a ride

>> No.7181181

>>7178110
Most people really enjoy it, but some people think it's too different. Also all the other games are so good being the worst wouldn't mean much.
>>7178114
I agree, but the NSMB series is still great and underrated.

>> No.7181185

>>7178406
Honestly that is how memes work.

>> No.7181326

>>7178110
Doki Doki thing aside. I grew up in the 1980's and actually played it on the NES as Super Mario Bros. 2. I never knew about the history of this game. Nor did I care why it was different. I mean... most NES sequels were pretty different from their first games. Zelda to Zelda II. Castlevania to Castlevania II. TMNT to TMNT2: The Arcade Game (though I did see the arcade machine as a kid). I never really questioned why the gameplay was different. But when Super mario Bros. 3 came out, I felt like SMB3 was a step backwards from SMB2 in some ways. Yeah, SMB3 added the world map, and larger maps in general. But the "Grab and throw anything gameplay", the alternate characters and in some ways, the graphics didn't look as good. I didn't know about Doki Doki Panic until Super Mario All-Stars with "The Lost Levels". Doki Doki Panic was made as promotion through the Nintendo Disk System service in japan for a large event. Nintendo resold the game on a cart in Japan as Mario USA. The Mario 2 reskin is more polished than Doki Doki Panic. Apparently EAD in Japan were localising Doki Doki Panic at the same time they were finishing Super Mario Bros. 3 for Japan. SMB2 (USA) and SMB3 (Japan) came out weeks apart or so. NOA decided to hold off on Super Mario Bros. 3 until 1990. Which was like a last big hurrah for the NES. Because Super Mario World came out one year later in 1991. Which was really weird.

But SMB2, I like the different character traits. Princess floats. Luigi jumps high. Toad is strongest. Mario is in the middle. The grab and throw gameplay is interesting. Super Mario Bros. 2 is also a very vertical platformer. I used to be very good at speed running through this game on the NES. The dream sequence is a weird touch.

>> No.7181331

>>7181326
>most NES sequels were pretty different from their first games. Zelda to Zelda II. Castlevania to Castlevania II. TMNT to TMNT2: The Arcade Game
This guy knows what's up. Fuck zoomers.

>> No.7181482

>>7181331
>This guy knows what's up. Fuck zoomers.

It was weird enough that Mario was in a fantasy land in Super Mario Bros. So, Mario being in a dreamscape wasn't any stranger. Super Mario land on the original Game Boy was strange in its own right. But when I did play Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time. I was a bit confused why this game went back to the Super Mario Bros. 1 formula (to a degree) while dropping many 'Mario 2' elements. But in reality, Mario 3 adopted some gameplay mechanics from Doki Doki Panic. But then again, Link to the Past on the SNES went back to the style of Zelda 1, and Super Metroid returned to the NES formula after the linear gameplay of Metroid 2. Game sequels released in the NA market from this era are very loose.

>> No.7181486

>>7178110
They don't, Mario 2 is great. Not many platformers like it either. I love picking up and throwing things, and the game has a bunch of cool secrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhwqi10EkI