[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.65 MB, 4608x3456, 20201125_210245-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7146123 No.7146123 [Reply] [Original]

So I got my hands on one of these recently, the scratches on it look worse than they are because of the flash from my camera.
Otherwise it's in pretty good shape, it has the starfox/mario cart and the donkey kong/super bomberman carts in em.
My only issue right now is the keys to open the front panel. I don't really want to force it open. I actually managed to find out what the bitting to the keys are and the code of the keys, but I don't know yet if a locksmith will make me a key based on information and no present key to duplicate yet, will have to see about that.

Anyone here with collectibles like these? I've always loved these kinds demo play/kiosk systems. I've got a few console demo pods as well.

>> No.7146136

Neat. I think somebody on here owns one of those Blockbuster Pokemon Snap machines but they may have just been posting someone else's. Cool thread OP

>> No.7146146
File: 3.88 MB, 5001x4143, game shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146136
I've got two different PS2 demopods, a DS demopod, and a DS download station as well.

But it's incredibly difficult to find information on these damn things.
Someone recently messaged me for a spare part and keys for one of these, and it made me get back into trying to find information on them again.

But it's really scarce, even moreso for the european models.

>> No.7146251

>i don't know if locksmiths can make keys if I don't have the key
Unless it's some super specialized special snowflake key(it looks like a standard tubular pin tumbler lock to me), any licensed locksmith with half a brain will be able to open it, and make a new key for it without needing to know shit beforehand. It will probably take longer for him to cut the new key than to open it.
You learn things like this when you go outside.

>> No.7146262

>>7146251
No, I know the exact depths the cuts need to be, he wouldn't even need to open it, the problem is that from what I've been reading online it seems that a lot of locksmiths don't cut to "depth", but only cut these to some official code list or duplicate keys.
Also it's a miniature tubular lock, still a standard size, but much less used than the 7.5-8mm key ones.

>> No.7146326

>>7146123
You're a pretty serious collector. You almost certainly already own a Super Famicom and Super Nintendo, and can't do much else you couldn't do with this thing, since the only thing you can do with any of them is, well, play games. I get that it's a novelty collector's item, but it seems like you're never going to use it. I get collecting if you play what you collect, but spending any money or time on this just to have it collect dust on a shelf and not even see use, to say nothing of how much something rare and elusive like this must have cost you, just doesn't make any sense to me. How does it add happiness and fulfillment to your life in any tangible way, besides just the idea that you own something rare?

>> No.7146340

>>7146326
It's actually worse than you assume, since it uses special huge carts, and only 4 different carts exist, holding a total of 8 different games.
I won't lie and say I'll get a lot of use out of it, I doubt I'll use it a lot, but I just like stuff like this, just like the demopods, I don't use them a lot because they're not that practical, but they look really good and are cool to have standing in my room.
But I don't really understand your argument to begin with, what you're saying applies to every single collection out there.
You don't "do" anything with a coin or stamp collection other than either put them on display or shove em in a folder.
Most people that have games in their collection don't regularly play all those games and they just collect dust.
So it's not any different at all.

>> No.7146393

>>7146262
>from what I've been reading online it seems that a lot of locksmiths don't cut to "depth", but only cut these to some official code list or duplicate keys.
This isn't a car key. Pro's use a special tool for these locks that tells them exactly how to cut the key. You can buy one yourself for $90.

>> No.7146579

>>7146393
They're actually a bit more expensive, I looked, but also those seem to be for the regular size tubular keys and not the miniature ones.
Anyways, I'm just saying what I'm seeing online, I plan to take it to a locksmith in the near future, I just need another part to arrive first, because without the rubber feet under it the sharp screws that stick out damage everything i lay it down on.

>> No.7146612

>>7146123
I honestly thought this was a joke post with a DIY box. I'd be embarrassed to put a company logo on this.

>> No.7146632

>>7146612
You're kidding, right? That's a collectors item. Might be of no interest to you, but i like that OP posted here.

>> No.7146642

>>7146632
The only thing more embarrassing than this uh collector's item is how much OP paid for it.

>> No.7146730

>>7146612
Sounds like you're in the wrong board.
>>7146642
But you have no idea how much I paid for this, though?

>> No.7146762

>>7146146

>widescreen CRT

based

>> No.7147818

>>7146123
>I don't really want to force it open
Yes, that would be very stupid. That you even considered it is retarded.

>>7146262
How do you "know the exact depths the cuts need to be" when you don't even know how locks or locksmiths works and don't have keys to measure or the tools or skills to do that? Any locksmith worth a pitcher of warm spit could cut a key given the code or depth and convert from one to the other. But you likely don't have accurate information for either.

>> No.7147836

>>7147818
Goddamn man you're passive aggressive as fuck.
You keep going on about "every locksmith who knows what they're doing" but you seem to be very uninformed because almost no locksmiths have tools to cut tubular keys because they're expensive and rare and most locksmiths don't consider them worth the investment.
Even then there's different tools just for duplicating keys or cutting to depth, and I'd have to find a locksmith that has the right tools to even be able to do so.
And I know the depths of the cuts because I know the standards for how deep the cuts on tubular keys are per step, I have pictures of the keys and known measurements on the key itself so I was able to measure the depths of the cuts from the pictures. That means I have the depth of cut or the "code" for the key, but that's only for depth of cut.
lock and key manufacturers give their keys specific codes corresponding to the bitting, and if you order a tubular key online they more often than not ask you to put in the code there for them to cross reference to a database to cut your key to, and not the depth code itself.

So please anon, keep passive aggressively bullshitting.

>> No.7148132
File: 26 KB, 500x375, SnapStationInside1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7146136

Might have been mine. It had a fat lightning cat in it.

>> No.7148180

>>7148132
Oh, that's cool, I've never seen one of those in person, did they even have em in europe?

>> No.7148248

>>7146123
locksmith here, if you in a hurry but don't ant to trash the lock you can easily hope it with a small tube of cardboard. Cut it to length (circonference) and then push it in hard then while keeping tension just turn it to unlock.
If you're handy you'll get it at first try, if not just try again (the cardboard is usually good for 2-3 tries max, after just cut another chunk and try again)

>> No.7148250

>>7148248
damn autocorrect

>> No.7148264

>>7148248
Are tubular locks that prone to tampering? wow.
I'm not in a hurry to open it, really, I know what's inside of it, I just want keys made for it to complete the thing itself.
considering the depth code for the key should be 2111, i'm actually sure what you described should work.

>> No.7148275

>>7148264
Oh it'll work.

>> No.7148331

>>7148264
7148248 OP here, yes tubular locks are the weakest of them all, take a look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQIJpOhV4c

>> No.7148338

>>7148331
What are even the advantage of these things? Theyve always seemed shit. More compact than normal locks?

>> No.7148341

>>7146123
I have the controller for the Sharp SF1. It's just a regular Super Famicom controller, except it says Sharp instead of Nintendo. Even on the plug. Second party controllers normally had the same plug except with the area that normally said Nintendo being blank.

>> No.7148350

>>7148331
That's hilarious.
Is this a thing only for the regular tubular locks? or just tubular locks with fewer pins?
I don't see this working on pin in pin locks.
I don't see these locks used all that often, mostly on stuff like older vending machines.
>>7148341
I think I saw a controller like that for sale recently. It does look better having the logo on there.
I'm still looking to get a Sharp super famicom TV someday.

>> No.7148376

>>7148338
Small footprint, cheap to make and they match a certain threat model.

>>7148350
It's a thing for pretty much all tubular locks, the more the pins the least easier is to pick with cardboard, but still manageable. Of course it's easier to pick it with the right tools.

Tubular lock can be made much harder to pick with a simple steel cover like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QmeG-N8Bw

>> No.7148394

>>7147836
I was the guy you were talking to earlier, that was another poster. That being said, you sure went on a long rant about how you knew what you were doing only for a real locksmith to show up and say "use cardboard to open."

>> No.7148409

>>7148376
Oh, I just saw this video recently, yeah that does look like it would improve its picking resistance a lot.
>>7148394
I don't see your point? My goal was never to just open the lock, my goal is to have a key made for it so that it can be used normally. I don't want to replace the locks either, I want to keep it as original as possible.

>> No.7149194

>>7146762
>reddit spacing
>shit taste
Go back, faggot

>> No.7150775

>>7147836
>i'm retarded as fuck
yup
>I know nothing and call it everything
yup
>I have never left my moms basement
yup
>all that googlesmart stupid
lol
>all that cope
kids. lol

>> No.7150789

I always wanted one of those GameBoy kiosks with the CRT monitor that had a yellow/green overlay. Passively looked for one many years ago but never got it, and I'm sure prices are ludicrous now so I'll never get one.

>> No.7150793

>>7150789
you mean the ones that had a monitor attached that shows what you're playing? I've seen that in a youtube video before, must be absolutely impossible to find. I'd love to get one of those as well, the design of it is so cool, shaped like a giant gameboy.

>> No.7150825

>>7150793
Yes, I remember playing one at a Toys R Us back in the day, most notable title I played that way was Mario Land 2. I think I also played Wario Land and Link's Awakening on the same type of kiosk, but I'm not sure, those might have been on ones that just had the GameBoy (which aren't nearly as interesting).
A bit tangential, but I wonder how often US stores had prototype carts of games up for play. While I certainly played demo kiosks back then, I wasn't immediately aware of if I were playing an in development game or anything like that. It seems like this practice indeed occurred in Japan, but I've never seen confirmation of whether or not it took place in the USA. I kinda doubt it, but on the other hand I wouldn't be too surprised if big stores could've gotten early demo builds to generate hype, especially for licensed shit.

>> No.7150834

>>7150825
I didn't know that was a thing in Japan, I know that demopods often contain demo's of games, sometimes several games on a single cart, but also sometimes they'd have full games in em with timers instead. This is the first i've heard of demopods containing early builds.
Like I know that the DS demopods have like a series of cartridges meant for this, i forgot if it was just to play on the available unit, or also for the download play options.
I also honestly don't know how many of these kinds of demopods exist in europe, I think I've seen some snes pods for sale, and maybe ps1, but i've only ever seen ps2 and later in stores myself.