[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 7 KB, 221x117, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
711191 No.711191 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there,
I am actually really new to thus whole emulator thing and I would like to play some SNES games, specifically some RPGs. What is the best emulator to use? Or what are the pros and cons behind each? One of my friends told me that ZSNES is the way to go, will give me the best performance, and is the easiest to use. But I don't know, what does /vr/ think?

>> No.711194

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Emulators
Be aware it is a flameware-bait topic on /vr/. Try all three, choose the one you like.

Have a good gamepad for it?

>> No.711201

I go with bsnes, but don't use it if you have a shitty computer.

ZSNES looks cool though, it's what I used when I was a kid.

>> No.711265

>>711201
>bsnes

Why are people still calling it that, hasn't it been higan for months now

>> No.711269

>>711194
I have USB adapter for a playstation controller. I hope it will work.
So if I am correct, BSNES emulates the most closely to the SNES?

>> No.711282

>>711265
bsnes 070 - 072 are the preferred versions by many. There haven't been any tremendous improvements to the emulation since then and everything has gotten more complicated.

>> No.711429

>>711282

what has the author been doing since those versions? just tweak the gui?

>> No.711436

>>711429

Adding coprocessor LLE using the recently dumped coprocessor ROMs

>> No.711440

>>711191

Any will do for most of the games

>> No.711443

>>711282

I'm not sure why people think the current higan is complicated, all you have to do is Library>Import Game, and it works with both .sfc and .smc ROM types

>> No.711449

SNES9x is the best overall SNES emulator

RetroArch lets you use all 3 versions of bSNES, SNES9x, and the speed optimized SNES9x-Next

>> No.711450

>>711191

Sorry for being unrelated but where can I find an SNES controller with the colorful buttons? I only ever see them with the grey and blue. I guess I could just get a super famicom controller but i want it to say Super Nintendo. I realize that's picky as fuck and so I'm sorry. I'm just curious.

>> No.711495

I've been using ZSNES for almost 12 years now. It's a solid emulator.

Shit. Now I'm having flashbacks to when I couldn't understand a word in Tokimeki Memorial.

>> No.711505

>>711450
Try ebay.

>> No.711507

Snes9x.

>> No.711525

>>711191
Zsnes is the most inaccurate one, but you can use it if your computer is shit. Bsnes is the most accurate but it is MUCH more demanding than the other two. Snes9x is all around good.

>> No.711521

I really liked snes9x but I did use that for years and years. ZSNES is a good choice if you're into romhacks and the like. I just recently started using Higan and I like the GUI and I like how it forces the proper aspect ratio, but I've literally JUST started using it so I can't say in great detail what is good or bad about it.

Another note on ZSNES: it's basically a complete system of its own. People have programmed romhacks and the like that will ONLY run on ZSNES.

>> No.711523

whats a good controller to emulate with?

>> No.711528

>>711523
I use a DualShock 3 and have been very happy with it. Decent D-pad, buttons in the proper places.

>> No.711570

>>711528
actually have one of those lying around, i'll give it a go

>> No.711604

Your friend is behind the times. ZSNES was the best emulator... 6 years ago. Nowadays, Snes9x and bsnes demolish it in pretty much every way. And while it's technically still the fastest emulator, it only matters if you're still using a Pentium III. Any computer made in the last 5 years will run Snes9x at full speed.

>> No.711612

>>711429
Pretty much.

The biggest things were:
Switching from qt to phoenix, dropping support for headered roms, adding low level dsp emulation. (073-074)
Adding new systems to the emulator. (083)
Dropped support form traditional single rom files. Now requires cartridge folders. (089+)
Rename to Higan. (092)

The other big things along the way include adding support for LLE of the other dumped chips (ST-0010, ST-0011 & ST-0018), and the addition of cydrak's DS emulator. Many of the other changes in the same time period have been very focused on the GUI or minor bug fixes for certain obscure titles.

072 is popular due to its ease of use. Since the addition of LLE of the various DSP chips, the emulator requires the program roms of said chips in addition to the game you're trying to run.
072 still uses the gambatte core for SGB emulation, before it was replaced with the author's own (buggy) gb emulator.
072 supports headers and all the common SNES rom file extensions, which is convenient for people that just download any GoodTools era smc rom with the 512 byte header intact. Getting rid of headers altogether was a good thing, but Higan now requires cartridge folders (bad thing).

I think if you must use any version of bsnes, 070 or 072 are the best you can get. Higan is still in a very transitional stage but probably won't be changing for the better any time soon.

Retroarch is the future, but feel free to use whatever the hell you want.

>> No.711697
File: 21 KB, 128x252, autiauticultist.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

JOIN US

>> No.711718

>>711612

Thanks for the info

>> No.711954
File: 3 KB, 240x224, portopia.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For what its worth, Nestopia is the only NES emulator that I found is able to run the fan-translated ROM for The Portopia Serial Murder Case, despite the fact that it isn't even that complex a piece of software.

Higan's NES emulator ("ooh my programs are soooo accurate") doesn't run it at all. FCEUX or whatever its called, fucks up scrolling the menus.

>> No.711965

>>711954
Higan isn't that accurate on the whole, it's misleading.

the SNES core (what was bsnes) and some other stuff are super accurate. The NES and GB core sucks right now. It's pretty much "It works for now we'll make it better"

>> No.711979

>>711697
Fuck you and your "accuracy".

>> No.711989

>>711965
>It only runs about 20% of games but it runs them more accurately.

>> No.711998

>>711954
That's because Nestopia is actually a very accurate emulator, while the NES core in Higan is basically an afterthought, tacked in as a result of work on the bsnes core. Byuu himself would tell you this. The only core worth using in Higan is the SNES core.

>> No.712015

>>711965
How is it misleading? Byuu has always been upfront about Higan's emulation, namely that everything that's not SNES is very incomplete. The only people who would call the other cores in Higan "accurate" are either misinformed or trolls.

>> No.712020

>>711998
SGB sucks as a result of the shitty GB core and isn't cydrak still making progress with his DS emulator?

>>712015
Every time a new core appeared it was marketed as being cycle accurate by the dude himself.
>First cycle accurate GBA emulator
It definitely happened.

>> No.712025

>>711989
it runs about every game
though I know you are trolling

>> No.712028

>>712025
Talking about all the non-SNES cores.

>> No.712037

>>712028
it's still an SNES emulator at heart and should still be used as such, everything else is still in development, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out

>> No.712038

>>712020
Isn't the CPU the only thing that's CA on the GBA core? After all, the only reason he added the GBA core in is because one of the special chips used by SNES games is an ARM chip similar to that used for the GBA's CPU or something like that.

>> No.712050

>>712037
Except that none of it is in active development any more. For the past few years he's been far too busy with his own little side projects. Most of the actual fixes come from the likes of cydrak and jonas quinn.

>> No.712059

>>712037
It sucks, because you know byuu doesn't really give that much of a shit about the other cores on Higan. He is and always will be an SNES fanatic, and that's where his focus will always be. If the other cores ever see improvement, it will likely be from other developers. And even you never know if he won't decided to go ahead and reinvent the wheel in his own way anyway, like when he took out the Gambatte core in place of his own.

>> No.712070

>>712059
>>712050
this is an SNES emulation thread though

>> No.712073

I have never found the zsnes GUI to be easy to use. The mouse support is wonky as shit. That said, I managed to miss the zsnes craze, not getting into emulation until around SNES9x 1.42 and I stuck with it.
Having to use zsnes with Mario Gives Up (a romhack) was obnoxious.

I've also given bsnes a spin. It takes some power, and the chip games take some more power, it's usable, but it's not necessary for the average person. Yes, some games do have benefits, and it is good to have a software replica of a system, but "accuracy" isn't for everyone.

I got to thinking, and I started wondering, if people bitch about the performance of bsnes, why don't they try editing the source and going for faster code. It's my understanding that byuu wrote it for readability above performance, surely there's a way to speed it up.

>> No.712081

>>712070
Retroarch is a godsend. It provides all the mega accuracy of higan without the other crazy shit.

>> No.712098

>>712073
It's readable for him because he wrote most of the damn thing. and there's not much point rewriting half the program when Snes9x isn't too far off the compatibility core for compatibility anyway.

>> No.712121

If you have a nice gaming computer, bsnes (or higan) will give you the most "stable" experience. If not, any computer can run Snes9x. Zsnes is pretty outdated (as in, hasnt been updated since the 90s outdated), so you may want to avoid that.

>> No.712135

>>712098
I mean he said he took the "I want people to be able to read this in 20 years" approach instead of "I can read it, good enough", else it would be a little 'faster' as opposed to 'readable'.

Fair on the latter half, but most people seem to praise zsnes over bsnes in their complaints and SNES9x is just left out despite the fact it's the best inbetween.

>>712121
Rumor has it there's an update coming, but I don't care.
I know SNES9x has been updated in the GIT and 1.54 is on its way. It's exciting.

>> No.712145

>>712135
The readable code vs speed thing is bullshit btw.

>> No.712182

>>712073
The Performance profile is pretty fast and even more accurate than Snes9x. I could only see a shitty netbook having issues with it.

>> No.712221

>>712182
Any special chip game (SFX or SA-1) will really show the difference between the two.

>> No.712481

>>712135
You know, I actually kind of do want ZSNES 2.0 to come out, so the people who swear by it will at least update to something much more up-to-date.

>> No.713093

>>712135
>people seem to praise zsnes over bsnes

I have never, ever heard this happen myself. I mean, personally I don't hate any single emulator at all but ZSNES is easily my least favourite.

>> No.716175

>>711191
>emulator recommendation
>mentions zsnes

troll topic

>> No.716181

>>711495
My sides

>> No.716187

>>712015
It's not misleading. Retards will pick any kind of flaw in order to discredit byuu.

They think that higan's other cores being unable to run games correctly is a flaw, despite the fact the team pretty much just started developing them.

>> No.716197

>>712081
>crazy shit

Such as? You cannot possibly be bitching about cartridge folders.

>> No.716209

>>716197
I can see the point of cartridge folders, but its far from a necessary change. I used to like having one single folder for saves that I could share across SNES emulators, but forcing everything into one folder is a pain, especially when it insists on placing all the cartfolders in %APPDATA%.

Retroarch is nifty for allowing people to use the emulation core without having to adhere to specific things like cartridge folders.

>> No.716217

>>712145
Yeah? Why do you think zsnes has fallen behind? There hasn't been a single update in years. Maybe the devs lost interest, don't have time anymore or simply can't understand their shitty code. You think anyone will pick up a dead deprecated project nobody cares about? Written in unportable x86 **assembly** ? Using shitty programming practices? zsnes is dead, kid. It's been dead for years, and it isn't about to revive. It's gone. Every developer has moved on to snes9x, and even that, in time, is going to get deprecated in favor of higan because it's just that good.

TL;DR you have no idea how software development works. Shut the fuck up.

>> No.716221

>>716217
What the fuck are you talking about? The dude you replied to didn't even mention ZSNES.

>> No.716226

>>716209
>%APPDATA%

I think it only does that when you temporarily import ROMs to play them. Try converting everything to cartridge folder format; then you can organize them neatly in any way you want.

>> No.716242

>>716226
I think my roms are all in the cartfolder format anyway after running them through CLRMAMEPRO a few years back.

Wait actually, I remembered another really annoying thing about the cart folder stuff; the fact that all the individual files within the folder are named so goddamn generically. cart.rom, save.ram, etc for every single game.

>> No.716261

>>716242
That's actually a very smart way to organize things. Think of the cartridge folder as the ROM itself. Let's take Super Metroid as an example. You'd then have:

Super Metroid / cart.rom
Super Metroid / save.ram
etc

Byuu is an UNIX person, and any other UNIX person will instantly be comfortable with the file-based, easily-accessed, hierarchically-organized layout of the cartridge data.

Might take a while to get used to for Windows users, but it's really good, trust me. If another emulator like snes9x introduced support for it, that's when it would really shine.

The emulators would neatly share data with each other, and you can copy the folder and all that data will be copied along with it.

>> No.716262

Which is the fastest, most accurate emulater, in the end? ZSNES still or Higan?

>> No.716263

>>711450

What you talk about is the classic euro-pad

>> No.716265

>>716262
bsnes speed profile.

>> No.716272

>>716265
Thanks.

>> No.716285

>>716261
Try using a frontend that searches for files with the .rom extension and you'll end up with several hundred files called cart.rom.

Sticking with the same hierarchy without the bland naming would have worked fine for most people. Why not name the file and save the same as the folder? To inconvenience and piss off as many people as possible.

Appending the DSP firmware to the roms themselves was another pointless move. Did that ever end up happening?

>> No.716292

>>716285
Sounds like poor handling on the frontend's part. Why's it looking for .rom extension? Why is it even looking for files, instead of only folders?

It's quite puzzling why this would be a problem, actually. Looks like a bug to me.

>> No.716298

>>716292
Fuck you. No serious program opens folders as files?

>> No.716312

>>716298
Deep down, there isn't much difference, actually. You can pretty much treat the game folder as a file.

>> No.716320

>>716312
This is also the main reason I don't use bsnes any more.

>> No.716338

>>716320
Hey, it's your loss. It's really simple to wrap your head around the format byuu's created and apparently you're all too stupid for it.

>> No.716346

>>711191
Here's the rundown

Higan/BSNES if you're outputting to TV or are a hipster for accurate emulation, expect no bells and whistles in a slightly wonky package.

Snes9x if you want actually play shit.

Zsnes if you love messed up sound, glitches but have macro support or want to play multiplayer but suffer from over 60ms ping, expect plenty of desyncing and glitchiness.

Retroarch if you want any and all of the shit above all wrapped up in one of the shittiest interfaces and configuration schemes human kind can muster, but it's modular and supports various filters if you really really have to dick around with them.

>> No.716351

>>716338
If Retroarch hadn't appeared when it did I'd now be debating whether to use Snes9x or ZSNES.

Or not, bsnes 072 was actually pretty solid.

>> No.716357

>>716338
Format? It's insulting to real programmers to call a folder with files in it a "format".

>> No.716404

>>716357
A format is a protocol for storing data.

You can store it as separate named objects which actually have some kind of meaning we humans can understand. Each file corresponds to a component of the cartridge, and they're all nested under the game's folder, creating a "belongs to" relationship. The folder represents the cartridge, so naturally the emulator, which represents the SNES, should load the folder, not the files within. Byuu's game folder format is analogous to being able to disassemble your cartridge in real life.

Or you can work in terms of arbitrary offsets in file address space and save ram as well as other relevant metadata segregated by emulator and not by game.

Nice no true scotsman, by the way. Like you would know anything about real programming.

>> No.716410 [DELETED] 

>>716338
So far your only defence was "it's better because byuu's autism says so".
Making things different for the sake of being different.
Hopefully it will never catch on, like how MAME came up with their own official filenames for every Genesis rom but no emulator site ever bothered to change it.

>> No.716416

>>716338
So far your only defence was "it's better because byuu's autism says Making things different for the sake of being different.
Hopefully it will never catch on, like how MAME came up with their own official filenames for every Genesis rom but no rom site ever bothered to change it.

>> No.716425

>>716404
>if (faggotdetected) {
> return true;
>}

True.

>> No.716426

>>716425
I probably shouldn't have used greentext for that.

>> No.716431

>>716410
>>716416

Not really. Any UNIX person could easily come up with something similar. It's a time-tested approach that works and really is objectively better, both for programmers and users.

And unlike most of you and even bsnes's fanbase, I actually do know what I'm talking about.

>> No.716437

I use UME for everything. Tell me why everybody doesn't do this please.

>> No.716441

>>716425
>>716426
>not simply return faggot_detected;

Now I really know which kind of programmatically-inept casuals I'm dealing with.

>> No.716446

>>716431
There is evidently nothing wrong with the method used by almost every single non-Higan emulator there is.

>I actually do know what I'm talking about.
lel

>> No.716449

>>716441
It's not too bad considering I don't program for a living. I'm a bicycle salesman.

>> No.716464

>>716446
It's okay to use .sfc rom files instead of game folders, but they are very objectively inferior. Hence, "your loss".

>> No.716474

>>716431
It only really benefits programmers, nice try.
Also, do you browse /prog/ by any chance?

>> No.716476

>>716464
Inferior how?

It just seems to be two different ways of doing the exact same thing. It's annoying that he'd choose to do it a different way from absolutely everyone else.

>> No.716548

>>716474
Nope.

Users get the benefit of centralized SRAM, which means its shared between emulators.

Emulators can also store their own game-specific settings, like controls, cheats and patches, in their own folder in the game folder. Copying the game someplace else now brings your emulator settings and customizations with you, along with your save game.

It's in no way more complicated than a .sfc file. The entire folder can be treated as a file. You cannot possibly be stupid to the point of not being able to wrap your head around this.

>>716476
That's the beauty of it. It looks the same and you can think of it as the same, but it's also a lot more powerful.

Like I said, when you open the game folder, you are effectively "disassembling the cartridge". You get direct, easy access to everything inside it. This is extremely useful to programmers, emulators, rom hackers, advanced users. You, on the other hand, can treat the game folder as if it was the .sfc rom file, because it actually does represent the game's cartridge.

It's all very simple and neatly designed so that it benefits everyone. It annoys you because it upsets the status quo.

>> No.716574

>>716548
You make it sound like an end all solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

>> No.716582

>>716548
RE: the 1st part:

Which non-Higan emulators support that?

>> No.716614

>>716574
I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have 3 different versions of Super Metroid SRAM, in three different folders, each associated with a particular emulator.

I'd also like not having to configure endless folder-related options. Such as where the emulator is to save its SRAM. Or save states. Or screen shots. Or movies. Or game-specific settings. The answer to all these questions is both intuitive and obvious, yet all emulators in existence get it wrong. And no, emulator defaults are not reasonable. Putting save games inside the emulator directory is not reasonable; it means I'll lose all my progress if I uninstall the emulator by deleting its folder. Putting it inside the same directory as the ROM, with the same name as the ROM, makes an unholy mess of things, and the only thing worse than that is REQUIRING that your SRAM be in this format. I'm looking at you, you fucking piece of shit VBA.

I'd also love an easy back up solution. I mean, I can simply copy the game folder and it's done. It also means my save games, and all other game-related data, are part of my ROM collection. They won't go away if I uninstall (delete) my emulators.

The fact you can't see a problem doesn't mean there is one, it just means you're blind.

>>716582
Which is quite frankly retarded. It should be relatively simple to add support for the format to snes9x. The emulator is open source, might even be free software.

I bet it won't be added due to political issues. Shit like this. You people's closed minds, and their own.

Doesn't mean the format is a bad idea. It's how things should have been done from the start.

>> No.716632

>>716614
Prior to cartridge-folderization, it was easy enough have all the emulators use the same folder for saves.

>> No.716647

>>716614
>All emulators in existence get it wrong.

Everyone else is wrong, Higan is the only one that does it right. WAH! WAH!

>> No.716656
File: 7 KB, 259x194, notimportant.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

zsnes is the only emulator that allows me to use the dpad and left joy stick at the same time

>> No.716686
File: 130 KB, 500x333, sad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>716632
Yeah, it was enough. It's still nothing but a hack that shouldn't be necessary in the first place. Why do I have to create a damn sram folder? SRAM is part of the cartridge; just put it in the cartridge folder. Making me choose is just poor usability.

To say nothing of all the other improvements it would bring to users I've been talking about in literally all these posts. I won't even get into details regarding the massive improvements it would bring to developers.

>>716647
That is the level of your argument? It's really sad.

>> No.716697

>>716686
Nothing you've said has convinced me cartridge folders are a good concept.

The only positive that I see is that it is fairly representative of the physical cartridge itself.

Other than that, why fix what isn't broken?

>> No.716714
File: 109 KB, 300x533, CT-comparison.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Be sure to use the correct aspect ratio.

>> No.716715

Figured I'd ask, but for all the things RetroArch emulates with the cores, is there any reason to use other emulators outside of RetroArch (for the things that it covers). Like, Snes9x and bSNES take care of my SNES needs. Nestopia works pretty good. Other than not having good graphics, Mednafen PSX plays everything I throw at it. PCE seems to be just fine. It has VBAnext, which, IIRC, is based off of VBA-M? And GenesisPlusGX is still the only emulator I've seen that runs Pier Solar just fine with the SegaCD music.

Really, other than the fact that, for some reason, I get some weird graphical glitches with bSNES that don't happen with standalone higan, it seems to just be the best overall.

Like, are there any individual emulators for these systems that anyone here recommends or is using RetroArch just fine?

>> No.716724

>>716715
Retroarch is pretty solid because it's one way of doing things that works for everything. Now that you mention it, I've realized I do actually use it for every system it supports.

The only missing console is N64, but it might only be a matter of time.

Only system where you'd be better off using a standalone emulator is probably the Saturn, where SSF is king and Yabause isn't.

>> No.716725

>>716697
We're not fixing, we're improving. There's literally no difference for users besides the file/folder dichotomy, and it's better in every way.

The way emulators currently do things does work, but it's annoying as fuck to manage. Here's a better way to do things that isn't annoying as fuck to manage, is better in every possible way and introduces very little change to the users.

There's no reason not to switch.

>> No.716732

>>716729
If other emulators supported it, would you use it?

>> No.716729

>>716725
>Higan supports the cartridge folder format where saves are in the same folder as its rom, every other emulator there is does not support this.

That's reason enough for me not to use it.

>> No.716735

>>716732
I'd have to. :)

>> No.716737

>>716735
Although the file naming really bothers me. If I had the option I'd stick with the traditional way.

>> No.716770

>>716737
If I were to design the format, I'd do it like this:

<game name>/rom
<game name>/sram

No need for extensions.

>> No.716775

>>716770
Don't you think having x amount of files called "rom" would be a hassle?

>> No.716810

>>716775
No, because they would all be inside their respective game's folder.

It also establishes a neat "belongs to" relationship. The super-metroid/rom file refers to the data stored in the read-only memory chip of the Super Metroid cartridge.

If you're concerned with searching, try matching the game folder name as well, as if it was part of the file's name.

>> No.716834

>>716810
Bah, too much hassle.
He really should have chosen a container format that wasn't just a simple folder. Maybe tar or something..

I think I've ran out of things to say on the subject.

>> No.716883

>>716834
What's the difference between containers and folders? There are technical implications, but how does using containers as opposed to folders make it any easier?

It's far simpler to open folders and manipulate their contents than it is to do the same on archives.

>> No.716896

>>716883
Single file vs Multiple files.

Neither is a good idea, 'twas just a suggestion.

>> No.718235

ZSNES because

- it just werks
- best UI
- best options
- recognizes every gamepad in existence
- reads every ROM format
- hundreds of hacks only work on ZSNES
- 100% autism-free

>> No.718270

>>718235
> - best UI
Jesus, no. Other minor issues aside, this is the reason I don't use it

>> No.718285

>>718270
>getting baited

>> No.718356

>>716298
You should open folders as files if that is the specified format on how things actually work.
Especially if you are looking for a package that should have been a .7zip file instead of being raw uncompressed folder.

>> No.718358

>>716548
>It's all very simple and neatly designed so that it benefits everyone. It annoys you because it upsets the status quo.
It annoys him because his frontend and higan is not doing a good job at working with its own spesified file structure.

>> No.718360

>>716614
>I'd also love an easy back up solution.
Ignore enviroment variables and just use raw on disk storage.
Only thing that annoys me is that very few emulators are self contained, they always assume everything is written by absolute paths instead of relative paths. So instead of saying everything is located in the folder the emulator was started in, it claims its located C\Somewhere\Notreally. Which is a weak solution.

>> No.718365

>>718270
>Baiting by reaction to the UI instead of mentioning the file manager

>> No.718364

>>716810
>>716810
>No, because they would all be inside their respective game's folder.
Only if the emulator supports .7zip and .zip archives as folders.

>> No.718368

>>718365
>ZSNES file manager

Never again. Even when I used ZSNES and thought it was the best, I hated that shit.

>> No.718370

>>712020
>SGB sucks
What the hell would be the point of using SGB in a SNES emulator other than "because you can"

Just use a fucking GBC emulator or something.

>> No.718375

>>718370
You DO know some games had SGB-exclusive extras other than just borders, right? AFAIK you can't get those on any regular Gameboy emulator. You have to fully emulate the Super Gameboy for those.

>> No.718380

>>718375
Wasn't that just color related shit?

>> No.718381

How the hell does SGB emulation even work, in Retroarch in particular? I never could get that to work.

>> No.718389

>>718380
Mostly, but there definitely were games that had more than that. Space Invaders, for one, turned into a full-fledged SNES game when played on the SGB. The only way to play that is with proper SGB emulation.

>>718381
http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/RetroArch#How_to_use_Super_Game_Boy_ROMs_on_RetroArch:

Ignore the part about the SGB-capable cores, though. AFAIK the cores provided by RetroArch now have SGB functionality integrated.

>> No.718439

>>712020
Pretty much. For SGB it's probably better to use the older bsnes that used Gambatte.

>>718370
Donkey Kong '94 or Mega Man V are worth checking out under SGB, Link's Awakening is alright too.

>>718380
For most games, not even that. The SGB was severely underutilised.

>> No.718440

>>718389

Cool, I'll go check that out.

>> No.718443

>>718439
Was reading up on some SGB features. Holy shit bomberman has 4 player mode with a multitap.

Don't think anyone is going to be able to top that for SGB features.

>> No.718449

>>718443
I dunno, cramming an entire SNES game on top of the normal Gameboy game as per Space Invaders is really up there.

>> No.718454

ZSNES = Less accurate, but works on anything and plenty of people are used to it. If you play romhacks frequently it's also the better option as most of them are tested on ZSNES and may break in different emulators.

SNES9X = More accurate, however it may give you issues. Or it may not. Gotta try it out.

SNESGT = Less options, more accurate than the previous one but buggier. And like ZSNES there haven't been updates for ages.

Higan (previously known as bsnes) = Even more accurate, has 3 accuracy/speed profiles, it's the best option for purists and a few games that seem to have issues in other emulators. However even with a mediocre current gaming PC there's a chance it might not be as smooth as the previous ones.

>> No.718456

>>718389
>>718440

Right, so that works now, but I can only use the bsnes cores with the shitty GB emulation for this? I tried Donkey Kong and Wario Land II, which both had problems. Is there an old bsnes core I could use somewhere?

>> No.718458

>>718456
Unfortunately, AFAIK there is no bsnes core with the older Gambatte core for SGB emulation built in. Older bsnes RetroArch cores did not have SGB functionality at all.

>> No.718461

>>718458

Oh well, I guess that's something to look out for in the future. I mean, if Retroarch can now implement a fucking Doom engine and Dosbox, I suppose the sky's the limit.

>> No.718462

>>718454
The issue with higan is that you have to run the tool for determining the optimal refresh rate, otherwise you're likely to get sound popping or even slowdown. RetroArch has dynamic rate control, which does this on the fly, making it the more efficient and elegant solution, which is why many people report bsnes running better on that than in Higan proper.

>> No.718468

>>718461
Shame that the DOSBox core is currently broken. There's a 32-bit only core floating around, but some games like Jazz Jackrabbit cause it to crash.

>> No.718476

>>718456
Get bsnes v070 and use that for SGB. The novelty will wear off pretty quickly anyway.

>> No.718961

>>718358
Fair enough. Programmers are shitty UI developers. This should be considered and presented to the development team as a bug.

>> No.718996

>>718360
Yes, it is annoying. That's the result of plain old shitty programmer syndrome. Thankfully, not all emulators are actually that retarded.

>> No.719761

b-bump

>> No.719904

>>718365
>file manager

Who gives a fuck about that? Associate ROMs with ZSNES and you never have to touch it.

>> No.719924
File: 368 KB, 673x680, laughing-sorceresses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>719904
>he closes and restarts the emulator when he wants to play another game

>> No.719941

>>719924
>playing another game before finishing the current one

lol casual faggot scum

>> No.719942

>>719904
As if the file manager was the only issue with ZSNES. If the idea is to not have to ever touch the interface of an emulator, why stick to the inferior solution?

>> No.719949

Come on guys, this is obvious bait.

>> No.719958

>>719942
>As if the file manager was the only issue with ZSNES.

There are absolutely no other issues with the UI except for not being le shiny transparency vista aero.

>> No.720024

>>719958
I was talking about the quality of emulation. Once again, if your advise to someone that doesn't like the UI for ZSNES is to associate the ROMs with the program, then what is the goddamn point of using ZSNES in the first place for that person? Other than having greater compatibility with shitty romhacks, Snes9x trounces it in every respect.

>> No.720070

>>720024
I can't believe we're arguing with retarded zsnesfags. It's universally accepted that it's a shitty legacy emulator that was superseded by snes9x years ago.

>> No.720082
File: 4 KB, 512x448, Zsnes-gui.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh man, that ZSNES UI, that's some nostalgia

>in b4 underaids

That snow effect, that colour, that font. I played all the classics on that thing.

>> No.720087

>>720070
The lengths to which people go to defend it is astounding to me. Like, I get it if you've been using it since 2002 and it has never given you any issues (that you can perceive), so you see no reason to switch, or maybe you do feel nostalgia for it and the DOS UI gives you the fuzzies, but why would you recommend it to others knowing full well that it is outdated and trounced by other alternatives? Speed isn't a concern in this day and age.

The only thing ZSNES is objectively better at than other emulators is compatibility with many ROM hacks that don't work on real hardware and accurate emulators, and I guess netplay, but even then you need an older version, and there has been headway into a GGPO-like system on RetroArch.

>> No.720109

>>720082
I'm old enough to have used the command line version in the late 90's. And I did use ZSNES for many years, up until about a year ago when I found out there were better emulators.

The UI does give me some nostalgia, but my nostalgia for the games is greater, and ZSNES never got the sound emulation right on many of them.

>> No.720127

>>720087
So what does Snes9x do differently to ZSNES? I've never tried it.

>> No.720132

>>720087
I agree. The fact that various ROM hacks depend on zsnes is one of the reasons that drove byuu to write bsnes in the first place. That's why I respect him as a visionary. He saw it was shit long before any of us did.

Zsnes is outdated, unmaintained and essentially dead software. There hasn't been a single update in years. I seriously doubt the developers give a fuck anymore, and nobody will want to take over an unportable x86 assembly project most likely full of garbage spaghetti code.

>>720127
Then try it, faggot. I won't bore you with technical details and accuracy bullshit. Even at the most superficial level, snes9x is superior to zsnes.

>> No.720142

>>720127
For one, its UI is much better and doesn't look like an old DOS program, but like any regular application.

As for emulation, the most readily visible difference is in the sound. ZSNES had pretty inaccurate sound emulation, but snes9x gets it almost perfect to the real thing. In fact, it has the same APU core that bsnes has.

Other than that, it's just more accurate and has less bugs and issues while still retaining speed, so even toasters and netbooks should have no issue with it. I personally use bsnes since my PC can handle the Balanced profile with no issue, but Snes9x is great as well.

>> No.720152

>>720087
Honestly for ages, even with current hardware zsnes has always been faster for me than SNES9X, and most of the time I would have an issue with stretching which caused it to go at least at 10% speed when fullscreen, only 100% using original resolution. It doesn't help of course that in the last years I've been using a 120hz monitor which works fine with things like kitchensync, but just doesn't work with vsync on snes9x in a proper way, or it looks like it has that jitter effect that makes it look horrible in motion.

In accuracy too, cycle accuracy on SNES9X isn't much better than ZSNES.

>> No.720160

>>720152
>cycle accuracy

Of course it isn't. Snes9x isn't cycle accurate, except for the sound emulation core I think. Snes9x still does a lot better than zsnes in the accuracy department, though.

>> No.720164

>>720160
Any examples?

>> No.720171

>>720164
AFAIK it doesn't have the issues ZSNES has with Star Ocean and Super Mario RPG or, well, most special chip games in general. Star Fox also runs at the proper speed.

>> No.720175

>>720164
No, only some technical information I understand but won't really bother explaining at length here.

I know bsnes emulation superiority examples, but only because byuu went to the trouble of documenting just how technologically irrelevant shit like zsnes is.

>> No.720182

>>720171
>star fox runs at proper speed

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. The issue is also related to legend of zelda I think.

Zsnes tried to employ game-specific hacks which probably didn't even work and broke more stuff in the process.

>> No.720209

Can somebody describe how Nestopia and ZSNES are inaccurate? I don't have much knowledge on the subject

>> No.720226

>>720209
I would like to know this too, and at the same time ask for an accurate NES emulator. Because I've been using Nestopia for like forever.

>> No.720229

>>720209
I'd link it to byuu's articles, which explain a great deal of technical details, but... I can't find them.

What happened to his fucking website? Where's his blog? Did he delete fucking everything?

>> No.720236

>>720229

I had the same thought. He's migrating:

http://byuu.org/bsnes/

>> No.720258

>>720236
http://web.archive.org/web/20130116020841/http://byuu.org/articles/

Here they are. Those articles are filled with sound technical information and directly confronts zsnes and the snes emulation status quo. It will show you exactly why zsnes is shit and also why it ascended into popularity and why we don't need it anymore.

>> No.720373

I knew the thread was a bait thread even without opening it, lol.
Well since everyone is throwing feces in here, let me throw in mine. ZSNes and SNES9x can pretty much play all the ROMs available. Who gives a shit if it's not accurate down to the perfection? Unless you're the kinda dude who pays 1000USD for a unopened box of first production Super Nintendo(the kinda guy who lines up his garage with thousands of game paks), zsnes and snes9x will do the job fine.

>> No.720390

Go for SNES9

I ran into several problems with ZSNES.

>> No.720396

>>720373
The argument over the file folder format was a pretty good one, actually.

>> No.720413
File: 39 KB, 277x277, 1369440070109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>720258
>Those articles are filled with sound technical information and directly confronts zsnes and the snes emulation status quo. It will show you exactly why zsnes is shit

So you need to read an article that tells you it's shit because the program itself actually runs so well you can't tell it's "shit" on your own?

>> No.720426

>>720413
Not to mention

>Written by the guy who is making what others are claiming is the superior product

>> No.720427

>>720413
I don't need to use bsnes to be convinced that zsnes is shit. For that purpose, snes9x will work just as well. It's actually what I use.

>> No.720486

I'm not an expert, but basically ZSNES, SNES9x and BSNES are the big three, and in that order you basically have increasing accuracy and performance requirements. So BSNES is technically the best but ZSNES can run on a toaster. I use SNES9x but really they're all fine. Just try them all out and find the one that suits you.

>> No.720539

>>711191
I have been using Snes9x for a long time. I used ZSNES back in the day, and it worked, but now... just try something else, that thing is way too outdated (but it works).

Just test the other ones, and if you don't like them for some reason, then just use ZSNES.

>> No.721297
File: 106 KB, 281x256, idontwantthat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ZSNES
>FFVI intro sequence
>What's supposed to be howling wind is "woooo wooOoo WooOOOOooOoooo"
>for the longest time I thought this is how the game really sounded

>> No.721314

>>721297
For fuck's sake, this.

And people act like demanding ANY accuracy from emulators is anal or pointless. Emulators dicked up sound in major titles for DECADES because nobody gave enough of a shit to fix it

>> No.721328

>>721314
And when people like byuu give a shit, we call them autists, ridicule and ostracize them to the point they break down and stop trying to make awesome shit for everyone.

>> No.721337

>>721328
Byuu is a giant faggot, though. I still remember when he decided to 'make a statement' by pretending that he made a DQ3 SNES translation.

>> No.721341

>>720209
What? Nestopia is quite accurate. Not as much as Nintendulator and puNES, but it's damn good. It's shit like Jnes that's bad.

>> No.721342

>>721328
The problem is when the users of bSnes/Hygan start shitting on everyone that doesn't use their emulator.

Also, do i really want to get an i7 to play SNES games?, it's more cheaper to get an actual SNES and Earthbound than doing that.

>> No.721356

>>721337
DQ3? I really don't have a clue about any of that. Personally, I'd love to see all the trolling people subjected him to all these years in all those forums. I love some internet drama.

>>721342
It's also shitty when blind zsnesfags think their emulator is perfect and flawless and everyone should use it, except for the fact it's the exact opposite.

And no, I don't use Higan, even though I consider it technologically superior in every way. My computer runs it at only 21 frames per second. I use snes9x.

>> No.721354

>>721342
You don't need an i7 to play SNES games. Only the Accuracy profile needs such power, and it only makes a difference on like two games. A decent Core 2 Duo is good enough for Balanced IIRC.

>> No.721358

>>721354
I admit I haven't tried the balanced profile. Let's see how much speed I can get with a 2.4 GHz Quad Core Q6600.

>> No.721364

>>721358
Wow, it runs at full-speed. I'm impressed.

What's the difference between the accuracy and balanced profiles, from a technical standpoint?

>> No.721363

>>721358
Yeah, Accuracy is overkill personified. Again, only like a game or two need it. Balanced is like 99% as accurate but twice as fast.

>> No.721369

>>721354
It runs like crap even on performance mode, that's what i get for buying a cheap laptop with an Athlon processor.

>> No.721370

I don't care who the fuck did what to byuu or what he did, we need SOMEONE pushing for accuracy and archival in console emulation

When I first found byuu's shit I basically said "Oh, someone's trying to do what MAME's been doing for years, for consoles. It's about time."

We need to get back on the ball. Is Retroarch helping?

>> No.721375

>>721369
>athlon
>runs like crap

well come on son, why would you ever blame the software for that

>> No.721396

>>721369
Wow, that is sad. My hardware is from 2007 and it can run balanced Higan at full speed.

>>721370
I've always wondered why the MAME emulation culture was so different from the console's. Until I read byuu's articles, I didn't understand why.

It's because MAME devs have this deep respect and love for the hardware; they want to emulate it so thoroughly, Capcom themselves could use their software as documentation for their arcade boards.

Whereas console emulators are made explicitly for casuals who want nothing but to play their little games. Because we absolutely must get that fucking Super Mario World running on people's computers, no matter how.

>> No.721397

>>721364
Accuracy draws every frame by rendering every single individual pixel in the image. Balanced takes a shortcut and draws the frame by rendering per scanline. This makes zero difference on all but one or two games that rely on mid-scaline changes for certain effects.

>> No.721408

>>721397
So, the difference is his cycle-accurate video renderer, which I recall is 3 times slower.

>> No.721409

>>721370
RetroArch's focus is on portability, not preservation.They want it to run on every platform under the sun, with as many emulators and applications as possible ported to the libretro API. They're not at all opposed to the preservation aspect, of course, but it's not their primary goal.

>> No.721413

>>721396
I wouldn't be so quick to cast judgement. I have massive respect for the MAME devs but the console emulation scene, or at least those implementing emulators, shouldn't be demonized.

MAME just solidified into a single, united effort. People made the push to unify and they had a clear goal. And it's not just an emulator; if anything MAME's *massive* archives are a part of why they maintain such order.

On the other hand, console emulation's lone wolves and hack-friendly attitudes gave us the translation scene and put many games english-speaking (and now other languages as well) people would never have gotten to enjoy otherwise.

>> No.721417

>>721409
That's cool. We really need preservation somewhere though.

I love what byuu is doing and I want mommy and daddy to stop fighting. It IS frustrating, especially when higan is so user-unfriendly.

>> No.721423

>>721417
Well, in that sense, RetroArch does help, I suppose. It gives us a more user-friendly interface for bsnes.

>> No.721437

>>711191
Go with SNES9x, zsnes is out of date and bsnes is too hardware demanding.

Plus if you're not an old fuck like me, zsnes is going to look like MSDOS and that can leave a sour taste in your mouth.

>> No.721438

>>721356
Byuu announced a DQ3 translation then went "LOL JOKES ON YOU!" on the release date.

Predictably, people were mad.

>> No.721443

>>721409
That's okay. RetroArch isn't really an emulator. It's actually just the stuff that's common to all emulators. User interface, configuration, input handling, hardware-accelerated rendering, filters, netplay.

It lets you install emulator cores, which are the parts that actually emulate the hardware. Through libretro, they talk to RetroArch, receiving the player input and passing the frame buffer to it for rendering.

Accuracy depends on emulator cores, not on RetroArch.

>> No.721497

>>721443
Oh, RetroArch is a frontend? I should google this shit, sorry.

>> No.721602

>>721497
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is.

>> No.721620
File: 153 KB, 959x721, 1369343036923.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

literally anyone who still uses zsnes has either never tried higan, or the higan file structure was "too complicated for them to use"

>> No.721797

>>721620
Agreed. Those who cite weak ass computer as the reason for not using higan are too stupid to use the balanced/speed profile, or even snes9x.

>> No.722023

>>721620
zsnes has support for controlling the GUI via gamepad.

>> No.722217

>>720182
>>720152
Olny thing special about Zsnes is that it seems to understand something very basic: Slowdowns is unacceptable. A frame is a frame, you do not drop or extend a frame.
As much as that also causes much fun in some games, its rather odd to turn it on turbo mode and it does not run turbo uneven.

>> No.722239

>>721396
>Whereas console emulators are made explicitly for casuals who want nothing but to play their little games. Because we absolutely must get that fucking Super Mario World running on people's computers, no matter how.
Its only true for certain emulators. N64 is still just emulation for the core libary, and broken everywhere as much as a step outside of that.

>> No.722250

>>722239
Well, N64 emulation has always been shit. Even Saturn emulation seems to be better.

>> No.722259

>>722250
Well, Mario and Zelda work, so by that in itself, I guess all emulators had reached their goal.

>> No.722267

Just get a real console.

>> No.722301

>>722267
Inferior.

>> No.722331

>>722239
Thankfully, that is finally changing. There are efforts at hand to fully emulate every aspect of the console accurately.

>> No.722532

>>722259
That's the worst attitude to have when writing an emulator. To me it's not that bsnes can run a mediocre Sonic clone or mediocre racing games or golf games, it's that the author and everyone else involved care so much about emulating the hardware, that you can throw basically any game at it and it'll work.

>>722250
I'd go as far as to say even Dolphin or PCSX2 are superior, if only because the scene is healthy, and not a fragmented mess.

>> No.722574
File: 98 KB, 640x480, 1368883382668.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ZSNES

>> No.722587

>>722532
They really are.

Dolphin may have problems with its 17 BILLION REVISIONS, but PCSX2 is chugging along just fine.

>> No.722946

Alright guys. Since this is an emulator thread, I need help. I am trying to get the original Grand Theft Auto working, PlayStation.
The track files are .bin, then there is one .cue file, which I assume is what I am supposed to run. Now, I have PAL, USA and JP BIOS. They all work, but every time I attempt to run GTA, I am just met with a black screen. I even mounted the drives to a CD and attempted to run from CD ROM. Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be working and I have no idea what to do. I'm not exactly new to emulating (understands certain games had mp3 tracks on them and they won't play from anything but a properly ran .ISO)

>> No.722963

>>711191

>specifically some RPGs

Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2). You will not be disappointed.

>> No.722968

>>722946
Have you tried a different emulator?

>> No.722970

>>722968
No, I haven't. But that's because up until now I've not had an issue. It's ePSXe

>> No.722980

>>722946
>>722968
>>722970
I'll tell you what I did. I even went into the ePSXe's settings, just to make sure that the CD ROM it was booting, was the drive I set up, for example, G (virtual CD/GTA) just to make sure. Not sure what else I can do, that is why I am asking. Someone is bound to know.

>> No.723339

>>722980
Head on over to /vg/'s emulation general. Someone is bound to know something.

>> No.727034
File: 158 KB, 960x717, 224950_3933626069326_201675944_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FYI
They DO sell USB SNES controllers now.
Fucking perfect for emulating

>> No.727040

>>727034
Those always suck, just get an adapter for the real controller

>> No.727046

>>727040
Mine's actually spot on, besides the start/sel buttons not being rubber-y
Which means they get stuck less

>> No.727126

>>727040
>>727046
Yeah, reviews I've seen of Tomee ones claim that they feel almost the same or exactly the same as the originals.

>> No.727146

>>727034

USB is a polled interface.

If you don't know why this is significant, don't ruin things for yourself by researching it.

>> No.727152

This thread reminded me that I need to get an USB controller or some shit 'cause playing platformers with a keyboard is a bitch.

>> No.727286

Snesbox.com

>> No.727313

I just use retroarch

>> No.727331

>>711523

Anything that doesn't have a circle-shaped d-pad is good for retro games.
I use a Wii classic controller with a USB adapter and couldn't be happier.

>> No.727425

>>727146
Checking Linux's drivers/input/joystick/xpad.c driver and the Mad Catz SFIV Fight Stick XBox360 controller's USB descriptor, it's polled every 4ms, which is good enough IMO. I expect other good USB controllers are similar, although bad ones could easily have default 10ms polling.

>> No.730662

>>727313

This. I use that for pretty much all retro console games. It has some very nice display options, like the ability to specify which monitor to use for fullscreen. It also has a huge selection of pixel shaders.

>> No.731046

What is the better console for emulation? Xbox or Wii? I don't want to hook up the pc to a tv.

>> No.731070

I like ZSNES myself, just easy to use/customize.

RPGs: Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, FF4-6 are really solid. I personally like the Breath of Fire and Lufia series too, but they're not as well made as the others.

>> No.735540

>>718454
>SNESGT
my nigga

>> No.737578

Apparently byuu is worse than Hitler to some people:

>>>/vg/36956841

>> No.737597

>>731046
Wii for sure, since it has no problems doing 240p (or any retro resolution under the sun)

>> No.737598

>>737578
Poor babby can't afford a modern PC

>> No.737601

Anyone who thinks that byuu is not important to the SNES scene should go back to 1999 and play Dragon Quest V in English since byuu was the first to translate it.

>> No.737626

>tfw byuu stole all his SNES code from MESS

>> No.737638

>>737601

Squarepusher, one of the RetroArch devs, thinks otherwise.

http://nth.pensivenonsen.se/vg/thread/35268718/#35728798

>> No.737648

>>737638
Looks like you'd better get used to the bsnes core in RetroArch now since byuu will hoard all future updates for his Higan project.

"SquarePusher" is a fucking asshole and incompetent. Any time ANYONE talks about progressive output, native sync rates, or native resolutions he'll ban you and call you "that one troll". He can't deal with pushing anything OTHER THAN square pixels, that's his name. He hates native console resolutions and their non-square pixels, and he hates people who like accurate emulation.

It's no wonder he hates the person who makes the most accurate emulator, he's full of himself and incompetent and someone else is full of himself and competent.

>> No.737659

>>737638
OK, so he shits on bsnes there and says accuracy is not important. He calls upon people to note differences in actual emulation between SNES9x and bsnes and ignores anyone who knows about the ability to shade between scanlines and generate shadows beneath helicopters in certain games.

Then he ignores another person who kindly accepts SquarePusher's offer to code a more accurate libreto core for RetroArch / snes than bsnes. I fail to see him doing anything in this thread unlike his bitching on themaister in which he bans anyone who discusses 240p or accurate pixels.

>> No.737664

>>737638
Also, why would I ever listen to someone who lets Muslims take over his country and institute Sharia law?

>> No.737673

>>737648
>>737659
>>737664

So I take it you've dealt with him in the past.

>> No.737689

>>737673
Not any of them but squarepusher is quite outspoken on many different forums

>> No.737703

>>711191
I use SNES9x. I feel like I'm the only one who does though. BSNES is thet most accurate emulation, and takes greater hardware to run well. ZSNES has the best compatibility from what I gather, but since I've never run into issues with SNES9x I never really felt the need to use it (though it does have netplay, which was broken in some versions of SNES9x a while ago).

You can't really go wrong with any of them though, they're all pretty straight forward.

>> No.737721

>>737703
>though it does have netplay, which was broken in some versions of SNES9x a while ago

Zsnes has broken netplay too.

Just use bsnes performance if you're worried about needing a beast computer

>> No.737735

>>737721
I'm pretty sure it's fixed in SNES9x, but the only time I used ZSNES was for the versions that netplay was broken in SNES9x in.

I have a good enough computer to run bsnes with no hiccups, but I could just give less than a shit about accuracy. I have an SNES for that, and a flashcart for games...

>> No.737729

>>737648

Actually, he thinks HQ filters make games look better and that liking the original output is just "rose tinted nostalgia"

http://nth.pensivenonsen.se/vg/thread/35760315/#36090063
http://nth.pensivenonsen.se/vg/thread/34191815/#34193815

>> No.737945

Use the BSNES core if you have the computer and like dealing with Byuu's new standards and file location and hierarchy bullshit.

Use Snes9x if you want a super easy to setup and straight forward emulator that runs really well.

Use ZSNES if you computer is a toaster from 1999. Go grab NESticle while you're at it since you're living in the stone age.

>> No.737962

>>737945
You forgot #4: Using Retroarch with bsnes core. No need to change ROMs around, better GUI and plenty of features.

>>737721
SNES9x is the better performance option as bsnes/Performance doesn't run Cx4 games.

>> No.737968

Higan's SNES core only works if you use the ROMset that byuu dumped himself from his collection of cartridges. He recently sold them for over $25,000 after first taking high quality scans.

Of course, he refuses to release either the ROMs or the scans. So if you want Higan to work just dump the ROMs yourself using byuu's method (undocumented).

>> No.737979

>>737968
[citation needed]

>> No.737990

Just thought I'd ask here, but does anyone get small graphical glitches here or there while using the bSNES core in RetroArch? It's usually some leftover overlay or some graphical inconsistency during a black screen. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this problem since I don't see it happening in stand-alone higan, stand-alone SNES9x, or the SNES9x core in RetroArch.

>> No.738000

>>711191

I use both Snes9x and Zsnes. I use Zsnes only for fan translations, though. I have no issues with either.

>> No.738024

>>737979
He's grossly misinformed or trolling of course.

>> No.738425

>>737638

I guess he's forgotten that RetroArch started off as SSNES, a frontend for libsnes, which was bsnes in library form.

Without byuu, RetroArch and libretro wouldn't exist today

>> No.738454

Just use ZSNES or SNES9x.
If you run into a problem emulating in one of those, try Higan.

Or vice versa, Higan's got its share of compatibility issues also. Those are the big 3 though, download/use. There's also Retroarch but that is basically just a batch loader program for the other emulators.

The big thing I'd suggest is getting a $10 gamepad, or using a 6th/7th gen controller if you already have one/several- PS3 are bluetooth compatible, 360 has a wireless USB dongle or you can just plug a wired 360 straight into the USB port. Make sure you get drivers for your PC if you're using a console controller; just use a controller, don't play games with a keyboard. A $10 investment will make your life a hell of a lot easier.

>> No.738526

>>738454
>There's also Retroarch but that is basically just a batch loader program for the other emulators.

It's more than that, it's more of an alternative frontend (that runs better than most standalone versions thanks to some clever implementations) for stripped down emulator core in libretro API format.

>> No.739894

>>737979
>>738024
News
US Super Nintendo collection sold2013-05-11

Much to the chagrin of literally hundreds of armchair price commentators on eBay and various gaming forums, my US set has now sold. It would appear that never is equivalent to just under six months.

Very happy with the sale, I recovered my losses and obtained what I wanted most (full board mappings and scans of every game), and the buyer received a great deal as well (valued by people with a clue about these things at $25K)

A million thanks to everyone who helped make this project a success, through donations, searching, etc!

Also, I now have images and scans of Mountain Bike Rally + Speed Racer (courtesy of FitzRoy) and Donkey Kong Country Competition + Star Fox Super Weekend (courtesy of Evan) as well. So the US set is now 100% complete, sans a few revisions here and there, which I'm not too worried about yet.

You're misinformed, learn to use Google's cache sometime.

>> No.739908

>>738526
one of the best improvements is that it implements v-sync in a way that reduces/eliminates input lag across the board. Play a game on Nestopia standalone vs. Retroarch's Nestopia core to see what i'm talking about.

Also make sure you disable desktop composition ala Ootake

>> No.739996

>>739894

He dumped all that months ago and released the hashes, retard. He's only just now selling the cartridges he dumped.

>> No.740145

>>739996
Fucking retarded assfucking homosexual nigger chump gook bitch I'll kill your mother FUCK YOU he dumped the hashes so he could stop his emulator from working with any dumps other than those matching his hashes YOU LOST YOUR OWN ARGUMENT loser.

>> No.740170

>>740145
Worst post in /vr/'s history.

>> No.740848

>>740145
Correction: He won't accept bug reports for unverified ROMs. It'll still run them though as it has always done, by generating a "good enough" mapping if a verified one doesn't exist.