[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 425x234, Final_Fantasy_IV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7097274 No.7097274 [Reply] [Original]

Looking into playing Final Fantasy IV.

Which version should I play?

>> No.7097289

SNES plays fine. GBA has more stuff but I dunno, I think the lunar cave things are dumb

>> No.7097297

Play the original on the NES. No point playing shitty ports.

>> No.7097303

SNES original. The graphics are cleaner, the sound is better. Bonus classes are pointless, you get them after the game is already over, unless you cheat.

>> No.7097319

>>7097274
translated japan version the us versions are easy mode

>> No.7097424

>>7097274
If you want The After Years, you might as well get the Complete Collection. It benefits from being the least awful of the PSP+ remakes. The GBA version is also serviceable if you just care about the extra content but it takes some hard hits to audio and is fairly buggy, even in the revision. The DS version is meant for returning players who want an extra challenge, not really recommended for first-time players, especially with the weird Augment system (regardless the 3D version of The After Years sucks magnificently). If you want just the original experience, then you might as well play the original game. You have only two real choices to play the original in English: Final Fantasy IV for Super Famicom with Spooniest's J2Evisceration patch (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2623/)), or Final Fantasy II for Super Nintendo with Rodimus Primal's Namingway Edition patch (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337/).). Neither is perfect, but either is fine. All other versions are basically a curiosity at this point. My personal assessment is PSP>SFC>DS>GBA>SNES.

>> No.7098096

Psp for authenticity and content. DS for... A challenge. :)

>> No.7098249

>>7097274
DS remake is fucking fantastic and actually more challenging