[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 324 KB, 608x464, SailorSailor.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
708150 No.708150 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, so here's a place to talk about Sailor Moon fighting games, RPGs and related stuff.

>>699921
Get over here if you're still there.

>> No.708212
File: 31 KB, 256x223, anotherstory.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am still playing through Sailor Moon: Another Story (for the first time). I am not very far into it yet.

It started out very Earthbound/Chronotrigger-ish, but then sort of became a bit River-City-Ransom-ish, until the individual quests started in (I guess) Chapter 2.

Now it seems rather linear, and the random encounters are getting tedious (almost unbearable, except for fastforward). The difficulty curve is a bit jarring. After 2 levels up, all the area enemies are incredibly weak, but then the boss kicks my ass, and I have to restore from the last save point and grind about 5 more levels.

It does have a somewhat interesting story, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Sailor Moon media in general, so it is also a bit confusing.

For anyone who has played this game, and is also familiar with the Sailor Moon universe, is the story archetype and theme typical of the series?

>> No.708239
File: 37 KB, 426x372, Nemesis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>708150

Didn't realize that we were derailing that dudes thread. Feel kind of silly now.

If I were to jump into playing one of these, which would it be? Is there any for the Genesis, or are they all for the SNES?

>> No.708248
File: 69 KB, 473x700, tumblr_lpdq4knDxf1qeghpao1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>708212
I never beat this game, but I liked how it had them traveling over the world and stuff. Truthfully there wasn't nearly enough travel in the show; 99% of the show is in Tokyo. It's like Power Rangers. Basically it's a bunch of Japanese girls who go around doing Japanese girl things, and then a villain shows up and makes them fight a monster.

I loved this show, but it was pretty formulaic. Supposedly the manga story is a lot better.

>> No.708320

>>708212
I love the start of the game for the same reasons, I truthfully think it's the best opening section of any JRPG I've played and wish that the whole game was like that.

The game assumes you know the story of the first three seasons of Sailor Moon, so much of it will be completely lost on you if you don't know about the events and characters it throws at you. It also references things that exclusively occur in the anime and manga respectively, so it kind of works as its own pet hybrid canon.

>> No.708353

>>708248
The travelling to various places is one of those things I really hope is going to occur in the remake to some degree. At the very least the characters need to be able to split up, go off on their own subplots and do things independently, otherwise most of the characters will end up as dead weight.

The manga is honestly much weaker then the anime, unfortunately. Most of it rushes through everything so fast that it barely develops anything, the show has far more interesting characters and more worthwhile subplots. It does have a number of incredible ideas (Moon becoming suicidal, characters travelling to and blowing up celestial bodies, everyone's back-stories being explored), but it's generally dry and poorly written.

>> No.708390
File: 20 KB, 300x210, SM_011.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I only played 2 SM vidya: the first Megadrive game, and SuperS on the SNES.

First one was the MD game. I live in south america, so chinese bootlegs for Genesis were the norm here. I saw the box in one store one day, and while I wasn't interested enough to ask about it, the image on the cover was familiar to me in some way. I then got into the series when they aired on TV and went to the store to buy the game.
It's a beat em up much like streets of rage, not as good but not bad either... average ban dai quality I guess. I used to play this a lot with my best friend, we both were into salor moon, every male kid was into them they were the waifus of the 90s.
Enemies were from the TV series which I was watching at the time so it was awesome.
I particularly remember the amusement park level with its fat clowns jumping at you with your belly, the little train passing by... that stage was so awesome.
Favorite boss is probably the fight against Sioscite (?), the trap. But on the second time you fight him, when he's cosplaying as a dark sailor moon. The stage prior to that boss is great too.
It's really only a mediocre beat em up, but having played it at the same time as I was watching the series kind of left a great impression on me. Nostalgia, I guess.

Then SuperS. SNES pirate carts weren't as common here, not as the Genesis ones (finding originals was almost impossible here), but sometimes some stores or rental stores had some weird, differently shaped carts that would play SNES games, they were cheaper and they were in moon. That's how circa 1996 I got SuperS for SNES. A pirate version with box, no manual.
Baiscally a generic fighter, ban dai didn't really put much into this I think, but... graphics are very nice, and that's what mattered the most in this kind of games, they are basically fanservice.
I remember you could custom your character's stats on the VS mode, that was nice. But I wasn't much into SuperS at the time. Stopped watching SM after the first season

>> No.708481
File: 28 KB, 640x480, 1366696806101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A con near me has the beat em up arcade game every year. Another Story looks awesome though, I didn't realize there were more Moon games

>>708353
Have you tried the reprint manga? It's been retranslated and reads a lot better.

>> No.708485

>>708212

More or less. The kinda convoluted alternate-timeline/time-travel/wibblywobblytimeywimey stuff is par for the course from R on.

If you need any backstory, there's no shortage of sites to find it.

>> No.708494

Does someone want to play the fighting game with me? Dead serious. I think the game is legit.

>> No.708513

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsNAuHP8pR0&feature=youtu.be

There's something about watching other people explore Sailor Moon who otherwise have no idea what happens in it that's somehow exciting. It's like, yes that subplot is incredibly twisted and interesting, but it only happens in THIS particular version of the story, so it's unlikely that someone who casually saw a few episodes on TV would have any idea.

>> No.708525
File: 397 KB, 500x375, 1345965287050.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

finally an excuse to post this

>> No.708695

>>708513
That resembles my playthrough pretty much so far.

>> No.710018

>>708481
>Another Story looks awesome though
It has some decent sprite art, and an original story with characters not found in other Sailor Moon media.

As a JRPG though, it's pretty lacking. You pretty much have to be a Sailor Moon fan to enjoy it.

>> No.710037

>>708525
Minako was such a bro.

>> No.710063

>>708212
I remember having to save scum my way through the final boss of Sailor Mercury's area.

What an awful bitch.

>> No.710095

>>710063
It was taking forever so I thought she was one of those "You can't win this fight, just lose and get a cutsceen" bosses, so I let her kill me off, and them BAM, game over (well, auto-start-you-at-last-save-point).<wbr> And I was like wat. So I had to level grind for ~20 minutes, before I could fight her again.

>> No.710120
File: 2.14 MB, 200x107, smas.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>710063
Remember, Mercury Bubbles reduce the boss's attack power.
Just keep using those.

>> No.710227

>>710120
Looks great!!

>> No.711196
File: 419 KB, 500x380, luna_Internet.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>708525
>>708481
THAT FEEL when your cat it better with computers than you!

>> No.711247

>>710227
Looks Chrono Trigger