[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 105 KB, 800x809, halo_ce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7081297 No.7081297 [Reply] [Original]

I just beat the first level in the spaceship and it was horrible. It was like a maze where everything looks the same and you just wander around shooting aliens with your overpowered weapons until you happen to find the exit. There's no challenge to it and it I'm already tired of it after 20 minutes. Does the game get any better, or was it just a "you had to be there" kind of thing for people who grew up with it?

Oh, and just a side note, but the remastered graphics are horrible. Not that the original was any sort of masterpiece, but the remastered mode utterly demolishes what little lighting, atmosphere, and artstyle the original has.

>> No.7081328

The lazy as fuck copy pasted level design actually gets much worse as the game goes on. It was many peoples first FPS so they didn't have anything to compare it to at the time and now those feelings for the game have been solidified with nostalgia.

>> No.7081341
File: 42 KB, 192x192, 1595541855208.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7081297
I can tell you're playing on Normal, you fucking faggot. The game will open up more and allow you to explore Halo's sandbox to its fullest extent. If you go into this thinking you're gonna be playing le bewmer shooter you will die (again, unless your casual ass is on Normal). You'll have to learn how each weapon functions and then make a choice as to which you want. The only OP weapon is the pistol. If you want something more balanced then try Ruby's Rebalanced mods. Takes what Halo originally had and shines it to perfection. As for what >>7081328 said, there are 3 times where it can drag on a bit too long (The Library being the worst case) but never gets to a deal breaking point. Again, stop playing on Normal and git gud, faggot

Also:
>le remastered grafix sux guize
Wanna know how I know this is bait, you're a nostalgia boomer, or trying way too hard to fit in?

>> No.7081352

From what I remember it gets a bit better and then gets much worse. Halo was all about the MP back then and still is. It's still very much alive on PC

>> No.7081371

>>7081341
Not op, and I play Halo CE a shit ton, but the remastered graphics are fucking awful.
>>7081297
IMO, all games have a "you had to be there" factor to them. The level design is repetitive and you also need to be playing on Heroic at minimum. The levels Truth and Reconciliation, 343 Guilty Spark, The Library, and Keyes always feel like a chore to me with Keyes and The Library being my least favorite. Assault on the Control Room and Two Betrayals are literally the same map, but are my favorite levels.

>> No.7081375

>>7081297
Level 3 has great design and level 4 is good too. Most of the game is actually even worse than the first level though.

>> No.7081376

>>7081341
> Wanna know how I know this is bait, you're a nostalgia boomer, or trying way too hard to fit in?
It's not bait, it's fucking obvious if you have a modicum of taste. I never played this game before today and the original graphics look far better. The remastered completely changes the artstyle. Everything looks brighter and warmer compared to the original that looked darker and cooler in terms of color palette. There are rooms that are nearly pitch dark in the original but completely lit in the remaster with lights everywhere. It changes the artstyle from something at least a little bit interesting to the most generic modern scifi look.
> I can tell you're playing on Normal, you fucking faggot.
Yeah, and? I can't imagine how turning the enemies into bullet sponges and forcing you to hide more to regenerate health is going to make this thing more fun. It just isn't that satisfying mechanically.
>>7081328
Are the other games in the collection any better or did I waste $40 on this thing? I thought it would be better than this for how acclaimed it was. I was expecting something more like Metroid Prime for Xbox but more linear. But it feels much more similar to Half-Life. That's not a compliment by the way. I hate Half-Life.

>> No.7081379

>>7081371
In maybe 2 areas, sure. But otherwise if you're telling me that everything in the last half of the game is good "artistically" then you are completely wrong

>> No.7081392

>>7081376
see
>>7081379
Kinda funny how you know entirely about this game's style and what it was going for despite never playing it until recently.

>Normal
Fucking called it.
>bulletsponge
Again, if you're a retard and use nothing but the AR and pistol then you'll be doing a lot of that. Protip: the Plasma Rifle depletes enemy shields. Another tip: the Needler causes splash damage. The devs themselves said Heroic is the way to go. If you're gonna be this autistic then might I suggest SPV3.

>> No.7081394

>>7081297
the first half of halo is pretty good but i felt that it shits the bed once the flood are introduced.

>>7081341
not him but i felt the remaster was on the lazy side. an example of what I'm talking about is how a firefight map in reach looks alot better than the remastered version of the halo 1 level it's based on despite using the same assets.

>> No.7081407

>>7081392
> Kinda funny how you know entirely about this game's style and what it was going for despite never playing it until recently.
I'm judging entirely off the first level. Original looks far, far better there. I suppose remastered could get better later, but I doubt it. Anyone who's incompetent enough to completely destroy the artstyle of the first level like that probably won't do any better on the rest.
> The devs themselves said Heroic is the way to go. If you're gonna be this autistic then might I suggest SPV3.
Noted. If I decide to play more I might bump up the difficulty to see if it gets more fun.

>> No.7081413

>>7081376
>Yeah, and? I can't imagine how turning the enemies into bullet sponges
Changing the difficulty changes more than the enemy health. Enemies are more accurate and will act more aggressively for example.
>>7081379
I'm not even sure what you mean. I'm just talking about levels I like/dislike game play wise.

>> No.7081427

>>7081407
>completely destroy the artstyle of the first level
>replaving gray square hallways with some detail is destroying an artstyle
I'm guessing Spyro Reignited triggered you too?

>> No.7081484

>>7081427
Yeah I like how 343 thought “You know what, nothing is supposed to be dark actually. There’s just no way Bungie used certain color pallets and lighting so we should probably go ahead and change all of that.” That’s not even mentioning that they didn’t line up the geometry all over the place. It sure is fun sniping at stuff only for your bullet to hit an invisible wall so you switch over to classic graphics and see that there’s actually supposed to be a tree or something there. They slapped the remastered graphics together like some kid making a shitty fan game.

>> No.7081496

>>7081297
No, cuz Western Developers :-)

>> No.7081525

>>7081484
>invisible wall
Literally a non issue that might happen once or twice.
>color pallet and lighting
Again, you talk with your head up your ass for someone who only played maybe 20 minutes of a series you never touched before. And again, a color pallet of what? Grey? lolok bud

>> No.7081538

>>7081525
>Literally a non issue that might happen once or twice.
Still happens to me every time I decide to give the remastered graphics a shot.
>Again, you talk with your head up your ass for someone who only played maybe 20 minutes of a series you never touched before.
Stop assuming I'm OP. I played Halo shortly after release and have easily put thousands of hours into CE.

>> No.7081821

>>7081328
Halo has an extremely well paced and well engineered campaign. It was so memorable and iconic in fact that M$ decided to cash in on it again for Gaylo:Infinig . Halo is the "Star Wars" of FPS for a reason and the more time goes on, the more opinions split on this game and the gayer it's fanbase becomes.

I got Halo the Christmas it launched, and weather you consider it console peasant garbage or baby's first fps, it earned it's perfect scores and changed all of gaming forever, for better and for worse.

I understand /why/ some people don't like some levels, but what I think what they fail to understand is that you need those tight corridors and endless caverns in order to appreciate when you finally reach the sunlight again. The game is an interactive journey, the design of the levels and how they progress are imperative to the mood it's trying to set, much like a film. I think The Library for example isn't a bad level, it just feels bad to play. It's a never-ending corridor of flood and it's boring and goes on forever but that's exactly the impatient tension needed in order to progress the atmosphere forward into the wide open snowfields of two betrayals.

t. 28 y/o cultured halofaggot

>> No.7081841
File: 175 KB, 960x955, 6e36929198917fe722ba1a087ab04e550f9a403ed2e1dfd76fa03ad701a4162a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7081821
>I think The Library for example isn't a bad level, it just feels bad to play

>> No.7081846

>>7081821
> The Library for example isn't a bad level, it just feels bad to play.
This is approaching Neil Druckmann "We don't use the word fun" level of cope

>> No.7081848

>>7081297
>Oh, and just a side note, but the remastered graphics are horrible. Not that the original was any sort of masterpiece, but the remastered mode utterly demolishes what little lighting, atmosphere, and artstyle the original has.

Fun fact. The "original graphics" you are seeing are not the original graphics. The game is supposed to be bump mapped, but the effect is missing (unless you directly shine a flashlight on a surface) in every single version except the original xbox release. Most transparencies are also broken. The game had better graphics than you think.

But no, the level design is pretty bad and many levels get boring.

>> No.7081849

>>7081848
desu original graphics would be nice if gearbox didn't fuck them up

>> No.7081850

>>7081821
>I think The Library for example isn't a bad level, it just feels bad to play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

>> No.7081853

>>7081849
Of course. I never understood why people considered the game to have good graphics because I first played it on PC. I assumed consolefags were retarded. But it actually does look great for a 2001 game on xbox and would look just fine in high resolution/framerate.
Gearbox fucking sucks.

>> No.7081882

>>7081853
> Gearbox fucking sucks.
How are they still in business at this point? Is Borderlands really that much of a cash cow? Because everything else they touch seems to crumble under their incompetent grasp.

>> No.7081947

>>7081821
i like halo but the first 2 games are far from perfect...

H1's first half is great but once the flood show up it immediately goes downhill.

H2's earth levels were the highlights but the rest of it is basically a rehash of 1 with the arbiter.

>> No.7082153
File: 796 KB, 498x466, benis.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7081297
That first paragraph you wrote describes literally every FPS that came before it.

>> No.7082249

>>7081297
You’re an idiot.
Also you are going to get filtered by the library if that messed with you.

>> No.7082272

>>7081297
>overpowered
where you playing on anything below Legendary?
the level designs become better from the second level on
also
>playing anniverary

>> No.7082342

>>7081297
Nope

>> No.7082463
File: 32 KB, 500x500, 5681bd111d7e7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7081297
Remember when it was a /vr/ joke about zoomers and Halo eventually invading this place and staying for good?
Here they are, lads

I hate gook moot even more than before for doing this shit with /vr/

>> No.7082550

>>7081341
>You'll have to learn how each weapon functions and then make a choice as to which you want.
No you don't you dumb faggot. All you need to know is the plasma pistol fully charged will one shot elites shields, and then you keep the pistol with you for headshots. That's literally 90% of the game on legendary. Throw the shotgun into the mix for flood. Halo is pretty terrible.

>> No.7082569

>>7081376
>i hate halo and half life

Get off my board little zoom zoom

>> No.7082703

>>7082550
>uses the most basic bitch cheese tactics
>on legendary
>the mode meant to be unfair
>wonders why the game isn't fun
You're like a retard that stands a thousand miles away from an enemy in Quake 1 spamming the shotty 20x until an ogre goes down. Git gud, faggot

>> No.7082950

>>7082569
Zoomers love those games.

>> No.7082969

>>7082550
>then you keep the pistol with you for headshots
You don't even get enough ammo for this on Easy.

>>7082463
I'm glad Halo is finally here, faux-boomers have always tried to weasel serious sam into this board while Halo chads patiently waited. It's not in their nature to be sneaky, unlike musou sam players.

>> No.7082970

>>7082703
>Git gud, faggot
Already good enough to finish the game on legendary, dont feel the need to play it anymore than I already have on account of most of the guns feeling like shit. Who designs an fps game where the only guns which can even do headshot damage are the pistol and sniper rifle? The assault rifle is fucking garbage and I dont care about your niche strat for when to use it. It fucking feels god awful and is one of, if not the worst weapons ever in a fps. If you think the gunplay is satisfying enough to keep playing then good for you, but I am blown away by how awful the weapons feel in Halo. The campaign was fun back in the day with friends, and it was fun to play through it once when it was released for Steam a year ago, but the gunplay is just too garbage to keep me interested.

>> No.7082987

>>7082463
Halo is a boomer game now and it's time for you to accept that. Anyone who played Halo CE on release is probably in at at least their late 20s or early 30s by now. Just look at the state of the franchise. It's reached the terminal state of stagnation where it no longer innovates and instead just focuses on nostalgia pandering to adults who played it as kids. See: Halo Infinite being marketed as a throwback to the old games and MCC being ported to PC for Xbox kids who grew up and now have a job and $2000 gaming PC.

If you asked any actual zoomer nowadays, they'd probably think Halo is old hat. Something their parents would play. They're all onto battle royales like Fortnite and MOBA-shooters like Overwatch now.

>> No.7083158

>>7081297
>Halo
>Maze

>> No.7083167

>>7082987
old =\= retro

>> No.7083205

>Pillar of Autumn
Neat introductory level.
>Halo
Probably the most memorable level in any FPS I can think of.
>Truth and Reconciliation
The second half in the ship kind of sucks but good level up to that point.
>Silent Cartographer
Excellent level, easily the best in the game.
>Assault on the Control Room
Indoor bits are repetitive but the outdoor segments are kino.
>343 Guilty Spark
A good, atmospheric horror level.
>The Library
Worst part of the game but I've played worse.
>Two Betrayals
Kino level, probably the toughest in the game too.
>Keyes
Short but neat I guess.
>The Maw
Warthog run kino.

>> No.7084214

>>7083205
This

>> No.7084459

>>7083205
Based though for some reason the first half of Truth and Reconciliation sticks out to me, at least in classic visuals mode. Something about that early 2000s idea of aliens with games like Destroy All Humans or cartoons like Invader Zim. It's weird how it immediately triggers my mind back to nearly 15 years ago despite playing the game for the first time when it first came to PC

>> No.7084598

>>7081297
Oh boy, wait until you get to the wide open empty levels, because that's what you gonna get for the most part. The level design gets actually worse.

>> No.7084621

>>7081297
I've never cared for the design of Halo:CE. It just kinda felt like a boring slog, none of the levels had much personality, outside the introductory Flood level. That one was pretty tight.

>> No.7084627

>>7081821
I love the Halo campaign, and played the fuck out of it when it was released when a friend. Played through it again with the MCC Steam release and thought that the campaign was still great. The issue with Halo is 90% of the guns being fucking trash. I believe that the only weapons in Halo 1 that are actually capable of getting headshots are the pistol and sniper rifle? Is that wrong? If so, who the fuck would design a fps like that? It is absolute insanity. The assualt rifle is literally useless over a range of at most 2m. Needler is garbage, plasma rifle is okay I guess, shotgun is good against flood but shitty otherwise, rocket launcher sucks, plasma pistol is necessary for one shooting elites shields on legendary. The gunplay is miserable and ruins the game for me.

>> No.7084657

>>7081297
The game is pointless after Silent Cartographer. Get ready for nothing but hallways and ONE neat outdoors snowy area that is ruined by having to go through it twice in a stupid backtracking sequence,

>> No.7084669

>>7084627
The pistol is OP as fuck but all the weapons have their use. You’re just bad at the game

>> No.7084681

>>7084669
Yes the pistol is fun to use. It was one of the only guns I enjoyed. I beat the game on Legendary, what more do you want? The gunplay is just not interesting enough to play the multiplayer, and you can only do the campaign so many times before you get bored. Seems like you are a shitter who can't play a real fps.

>> No.7084702
File: 64 KB, 300x360, mag.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7084627
Every gun has a utility, it was never trying to be a mil-sim. It's also worth noting if you aren't playing the game on Legendary, you aren't playing the game and that's the truth. Mastery of the sandbox and weapon utility is the game single and multiplayer, and not having your favorite weapon combination at all times so you can pull nothing but headshot multipliers. You're supposed to be a survivalist super soldier trudging through an unknown world fighting a barely known enemy and that translates into the game mechanics forcing you to use your brain and plan tactics around what's available to you.

>AR
Flood infection spray - Shield Melter
>Needler
Super Combine guaranteed to kill all Elite ranks
>Shotgun
Flood - Close quarters
>Magnum
The all-arounder
>Sniper
Boom headshot, 1-shot Hunters
>Plasma Pistol
Ultimate shield melter
>Plasma Rifle
Shield melter
>Rockets
Boom

>> No.7084720

>>7084702
>>AR
Too bad it is so prominent in the many levels before the flood.
>Needler
Yeah it is alright against elites, but I still prefer plasma pistol + magnum 1 shot to the head for elegance.
>Shotgun
Only useful in flood levels, yes, I agree.
>Magnum
The saving grace of this first person "shooter"
>Sniper
Needs to be in more levels with more ammo. The other saving grace of this game.
>Plasma Pistol
Unsatisfying as fuck to use, but necessary for melting shields. I know what it does.
>Plasma Rifle
Too bad it's not as efficient as the plasma pistol and therefore trash.
>Rockets
Not the worst rocket launcher I have ever used, but it's pretty shit
You typed all that out assuming I did not already know all this. I have already finished the game on Legendary and it is really just not that fun because every gun except the pistol and sniper rifle are not capable of getting headshots, which is just garbage fps gameplay lol. I enjoyed Halo for what it was, but are you really trying to defend its gunplay in 2020?

>> No.7084750

>>7084702
>it was never trying to be a mil-sim
Neither were Quake and Unreal, but they are satisfying gunplay. Hell, even CS was not trying to be a milsim and it had satisfying gunplay.
The campaign in Halo was fun, but the gunplay is simply atrocious.

>> No.7084829

>>7084720
Yes I am defending it. Halo's weapon sandbox, physics and gunplay is not only what propelled it into pop culture phenomenon, but what continues to separate it from the pack.

I wasn't implying you didn't know how to play the game, but I am implying you dislike it based on subjective taste rather than objective bad design.

>> No.7085685

>>7081328
It also wasn't an uncommon technique for early 3D level design at the time - particularly FPS'. And Bungie was a PC-only designer up until H:CE, and you can see some of the dated design techniques in it. Also, I believe the head level designer for H:CE was an architect who had no experience in game design.