[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 852x480, 6E821E7E-F5E5-433E-8522-B158FD770253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7068041 No.7068041 [Reply] [Original]

Why do people say MGS Twin Snakes was a fuckup of a remake?

>> No.7068043

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=why+is+mgs+twin+snakes+a+bad+remake

>> No.7068078

I think most that don't like it think it's overly cheesy and action movie-esque. Shit like Snake kicking off the missile during the Hind-D fight.

>> No.7068085

>>7068078

I like the theory that its otacon recollection of events. Thats why its like an anime.

>> No.7068091

>>7068085
I like your line of thinking, anon.

>> No.7068107

>>7068041
>script rewrites (to make it more JP accurate, but as any good sub player knows Japanese script writing is filled with dry descriptive language and repetitive redundant motifs, which were bad enough in Kojima's first English translation)
>redirected cutscenes to make them more dynamic and high-octane, making them either amazingly stupid or just stupid depending or who you ask
>redundant MGS2 features tacked on, like non-lethal options, meaningless dogtag collecting, and first-person aiming breaking difficulty over its knee in more than one area

>> No.7068135

Because disc rot

>> No.7068141

It has nothing to do with the cutscenes (although they're grating as fuck).

It's that they just put MGS2 Snake inside MGS1 maps. MGS1 maps weren't made with first-person shooting in mind. I remember an old EGM interview where one of the designers said that the only thing that they ABSOLUTELY had to change was the corridor where you fight Sniper Wolf the first time, because the original's length was so small that you could beat the fight with the pistol. They tripled the length of the corridor in Twin Snakes.

Look at boss fight videos on youtube. It's so dumb that the guy beats the Ocelot fight by hiding behind the pillars, peeking and shooting. Doesn't even move.

>> No.7068146

console/brand wars

>> No.7068164

>>7068141
>MGS1 maps weren't made with first-person shooting in mind
This is such a retarded complaint. No one forces you to use first person aiming, no one (who is not autistic) cares if you use it. It is a QoL improvement for a remake, I do not understand why people care about this so much.

>> No.7068194

>>7068041
The gameplay was designed around your point of view. First person aiming without changing the levels made everything ridiculously easy.

Worse redubbing of all the dialogue. Everyone sounds tired, those who did fun accents drop them and a lot of the script was re written to be more dull. No more muktuk joke for example.

The cutscenes are even longer and more ridiculous to the point it takes away what you're doing as the player.

It doesn't even look that much better. The original had a grainy sort of aesthetic that really worked and for a ps1 game it looks amazing. Twin Snakes is higher res but everything ends up looking bland and rushed.

I think it's worth a playthrough just to see the trainwreck but it's nothing like the original experience.

>> No.7068213

>>7068164
>No one forces you to use first person aiming
This is retarded, and you know it. It's like playing Tony Hawk and saying you're not forced to use manuals.

You have to understand. MGS1's maps were flat with some obstacles here and there. MGS2's maps where multi-level maps, where you could shoot what was above or below you, and that played a part in how they were designed. There are a few multi-level maps in MGS1 too, but they were completely separated sections (an enemy above or below couldn't see you). Just look at the beginning of the tanker level in MGS2. That room with the bar. None of the MGS1 maps are like that.

You probably didn't play MGS3 when it came out, but there was a change like that too: the original MGS3 still used the top-down view that was a staple of the series since MG1 (MGS2 had some fixed camera angles, but most of it was a top-down view). The Subsistence version of MGS3 introduced the new camera angle that's been used since then. It made the game a lot easier, because they didn't have the time (nor they needed to, to tell the truth) to change the gameplay to accommodate for the third-person camera.

>> No.7068217

>>7068164
No one forces you to use the sword in Zelda games too.

>> No.7068221

>>7068213
>You have to understand. MGS1's maps were flat with some obstacles here and there
I know. I played the shit out of the game when I was a kid back in 2000.
>MGS2's maps where multi-level maps, where you could shoot what was above or below you, and that played a part in how they were designed
I know, I played the shit out of MGS2 when it was released in 2001 or 2002.
>None of the MGS1 maps are like that.
I do not care.
>You probably didn't play MGS3 when it came out
I did. I played the shit out of MGS3 when it was released. I still remember the first time I rented it from the local game store. It was an incredible weekend.
I just dont care that you can aim in first person in MGS1 remake. I already had my fun with the original, and want to ability to shoot people in the head in the remake. You seem like an original hardware retard who will sperg out if people emulate.
Do not care.

>> No.7068228

>>7068217
You can still use guns in TTS without first person aiming though you sperg.

>> No.7068240

>>7068228
You can attack in Zelda without the sword too, you mong. Can even finish the game. Not using first-person in MGSTS is just gimping yourself, like not using the sword in Zelda is.

>> No.7068282

>>7068041
Everybody else has explained it well but I personally find it unforgivable they changed the music.

>> No.7068297

>>7068240
I bet you cry about the fact that the cape is a thing in SMW.

>> No.7068361

>>7068078
i can get that adding MGS2's mechanics broke the game but i always felt that the cutscene argument was stupid when you consider everything after MGS1.

>> No.7068374

>>7068041
it wasn't a fuck up. it's a legitimately good game, though the first person view really does break it a little (it's really fun shooting camers in 1st person, though). I think most of the complaints are about the retarded cutscenes which actually became a norm in subsequent MGS games after that point.

>> No.7069308

>>7068107
/thread

>> No.7069503

>>7068374
It's still a decent game because MGS was so good. Sure you can play Twin Snakes and ignore the first person aiming but you're still stuck with a lazy remake that mostly actually looks worse than the original with a lackluster recording of worse script and ridiculous even for Metal Gear cut scenes.

Really, unless you don't have access to the original or have played it so many times you want a different take even if it's worse there's literally no good reason to waste time on Twin Snakes. It's truly one of the worst video game remakes of all time.

>> No.7069530

>>7068107
>script rewrites (to make it more JP accurate

I think this explains why MGS1 has the only good script in the entire series. It was heavily reworked by actual English speakers.

>> No.7069641

>>7068221
You are really dumb.

>> No.7069928

>>7068041
Ask yourself why you want to play MGS. For the gameplay? Twin Snakes is worse. For the story? Twin Snakes is worse. For the graphics? I guess it's debatable since the remake is higher resolution, bit ot looks far more lazy. For me, Twin Snakes is worse.

>> No.7069950

>>7068240
>Not using first-person in MGSTS is just gimping yourself, like not using the sword in Zelda is.
Yes, so?
You can argue that you gimp yourself either way, unless you go for optimized speedrunner strats.

>> No.7069996

>>7068361
I think fans of the first game liked that MGS struck a balance between zany mecha anime and Japanese spin on Die Hard/True Lies that no other game in the series has been able to do

>> No.7070037

>>7068041
The only thing Kojima took from the remake was the voice recordings, and only because the original PS1 audio was notoriously low-quality. Whenever Shadow Moses is referenced otherwise, it's always in the form of the PS1 game.