[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.27 MB, 1404x1000, shinobi_ng.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7014559 No.7014559 [Reply] [Original]

Which was the superior 6th gen ninja reboot, /vr/?

>> No.7014564

>>7014559
Ninja Gaiden. Shinobi PS2 was pretty solid though.

>> No.7014569

2D Shinobi is best though even though 2D NG is very good too

>> No.7014727

I prefer Shinobi, but Ninja Gaiden was definitely the more polished game. Shinobi PS2 needed more money and more time.

>> No.7014851

I feel like I'm supposed to prefer NG but I've only beaten Shinobi
I just REALLY don't like the core defense systems of Ninja Gaiden

>> No.7015001

>>7014559
It's easier to button mash in Ninja Gaiden than in Shinobi

>> No.7015036
File: 156 KB, 1600x1200, 5iRVYjp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ninja Gaiden was the better game all around, but Shinobi gets points for soul

>> No.7015113

>>7014559
*reimagining

>> No.7015132

>>7014559
PS2 Shinobi has better platforming design, less artificially difficult bosses, and no bow & arrow bullshit, so it wins.

>> No.7015137

>>7015132
I love both games equally, but it really sounds like you got filtered by NG

>> No.7015146
File: 392 KB, 672x525, tom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7015132
>Shinobi has better platforming design

>> No.7015156
File: 2.00 MB, 3860x2160, shinobi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I prefer the Shinobi reboot (i'm a biased Segafag and I love the atmosphere in Shinobi), but Ninja Gaiden was really good too.

>> No.7015163

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wf8jx6jWJM

Shinobi and Night Shade are both great. But they don;t compare to Ninja Gaiden/ Ninja Gaiden Black.

>> No.7015524

This is a fucking bait thread right? Did you even play them both? The answer isn't obvious? Which game has better level design, better enemy design, better bosses, better controls, better music, better weapons? Which one feels like the complete game?

>> No.7015529

Ninja Gaiden it's not even a contest. Shinobi is one of those games like Castlevania that couldn't cut it in 3d.

>> No.7015534

>>7014851
what about it is hard? If you stand in place blocking like an idiot, they eventually grab you. This is intuitive. You block attacks. Then you attack or you evade. Most of the time you evade by rolling from guard into a position that suits a counter attack. You don't even need to face the enemy head on for you to guard. In fact you may even have a 360 defense as long as you have enough brain cells to hold down the block button. What about it is hard?

>> No.7015537

>>7014727
what the fuck could you have honestly like more about shinobi than ninja gaiden? I always say it like this, it looked and felt and sounded and played like a fucking MOBA game for a iphone.

>> No.7015546

>>7014559
Xuboxu it must be

>> No.7015573

>>7015529
they could have made it work it just was a shit game. Why the fuck did they think in the 2000s it was a good idea to fill half of the already sparse bland levels with insta death bottomless pits? Who really wants to replay the *entire* level over because of that? The mobs are boring to fight. falling into the pits and going through the boring level again was masochistic.

>> No.7015687

I found Shinobi much more enjoyable. I've only played Ninja Gaiden Sigma, though, so I don't know if the other releases/entries are any better.

>> No.7015803

>>7015537
>it looked and felt and sounded and played like a fucking MOBA game for a iphone.
Where the fuck are you pulling this from?

>> No.7016904

>>7015803
there were itouch games in 2012 that had better textures than shinobi had. The environment is ugly. Have you paid attention to any of it? The indoor mall area or whatever stands out most. i think that is level 2 or 3. I am not a graphics whore, the ps2 games that had good textures are gorgeous. Shinobi felt like a bargain bin game. Everything is washed out and blurry looking. At times it reminds me of the worst of the n64 games. (I am a n64 fan but a lot of those game suffered from disgusting textures) What the fuck is the enemy design in Shinobi? The voice acting? So much of it just feels and sounds hollow and lifeless. In a bad way. Not by design for ambience but from a lack of effort.

>> No.7016909

>>7015687
You honestly found the shitty bosses from shinobi more enjoyable than the variety in NG? The bone dragon? The samurai on horseback? Fuck dude NG even did the TANKS better than shinobi. Doku? Seriously? Fucking how?

>> No.7016913

The only reason people even remember shinobi is because the player character looks cool. if it wasnt for
>woah cool ninja pretty red scarf
no one would ever play remember it. You can change ninja gaiden to have any other character and it would still feel great and be fun. Shinobi is so clunky and boring to look at, that if it wasnt for the main characters design and scarf physics, no one would care about it.

>> No.7017058

>>7014559
PS2 Shinobi sucks

>> No.7017437

>>7015132
>artificially difficult
lmao

>> No.7017671

>>7014559
Shinobi. Ninja Gaiden drags on too long while Shinobi's pacing is perfect.

>> No.7018062
File: 74 KB, 500x491, tonkapc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shinobi, in my opinion. It's one of my favorite games, from that generation. Extremely polished, tight controls, great boss fights, and one of the best soundtracks from that era.

I've never really understood the hype with Ninja Gaiden. I bought it when it came out, and I don't ever remember being that impressed by it. It's not bad. It's just okay, from what I remember. Just kind of a standard action game.

When it came out, I remember Ninja Gaiden receiving unreal levels of praise. After playing it, I just thought "This is it? It feels like I'm playing a different game." It was praised to the high heavens, and I don't think it was anywhere near the same level of quality as Shinobi.

TLDR: I like Shinobi, a lot. Ninja Gaiden is okay, but one of the most overrated games I've ever played.

pic unrelated

>> No.7018071

>>7015537
Calm down Itagaki

>> No.7018252

>>7014559
Is that ps2 Shinobi game that good? Standing next to fucking Ninja Gaiden is no small feat. Also, not retro, but is the 3DS one worth playing?

>> No.7018294

>>7018062
The actual is TLDR: You prefer ugly as sin PS2 games that are definitely worse

Shinobi looks ugly as shit on an actual PS2. Emulated, it's only a bit better even at 4k. That's what you don't understand, NG is an amazing action game that also looks great.

>> No.7018295

Ninja Gaiden. Great fucking game.

>> No.7018328

I wish Shinobi had come out on Dreamcast instead of PS2. It could have looked so much better with DC's sexy 640x480 VGA output.

>> No.7018332

>>7018294
I think both games look pretty good, if we’re going to discuss the graphics. Although Shinobi, is definitely more stylish/artsy. That part, is perhaps a bit subjective.
In terms of preferences, it’s not that I prefer PS2 games, inherently. I’m not sure why you’re jumping to that conclusion. I liked all the systems from that generation, pretty much equally.

>> No.7018349

>>7018252
All the Shinobi PS2 games are fun

Only Anglos hate it

>> No.7018665
File: 302 KB, 1440x810, 1489621483757.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7016913
>The only reason people even remember shinobi is because -headcanon-

>> No.7018698

>>7018332
>I think both games look pretty good, if we’re going to discuss the graphics.
Shinobi's visuals were considered dogshit even in 2002.

>> No.7018703

>>7015687
>I've only played Ninja Gaiden Sigma, though,
Indeed you played the shitiest version of the game.

>> No.7018783

>>7018698

I was an avid reader of gaming magazines at the time it came out. I don't remember that being the general consensus, at all. It's clear you dislike the game, but you seem to be projecting your own subjective views on it. If anything, I remember reading magazines saying it was very stylistic.
I wouldn't go as far as claiming it's the epitome of what the PS2 was capable of, in terms of graphics. But you're stretching if your argument hinges on the graphics being considered "dogshit" at it's release.

>> No.7018798
File: 140 KB, 1079x1080, 00 - VA - LEGEND OF JOE MUSASHI _SHINOBI MUSIC COLLECTION_-2009-Booklet Back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember being unimpressed with Shinobi at the time it came out, the environments and camera work are bland and forgettable. Everything about the stages and the game feel so much smaller than NG, or even DMC. Also the music did not live up to Shinobi standards.

I love the Shinobi classics, but this one was definitely not given the budget the series deserved.

>> No.7018820

Shinobi PS2 even if lacks variety in his envoirement has superior game design over all, Ninja gaiden looks like a generation ahead and the combat is really smooth, shame that the izuna dive ruin all the variety of combos in end game. Altough NG is a superior game I enjoyed Shinobi more

>> No.7018838

>>7014559
Shinobi was challenging but fair until the water level with instant-kill pits, that was just dumb af
The bosses each had "checkpoints" with unlimited tries so the old school excuse is not valid

>> No.7018841

As far as graphics go, Ninja Gaiden came out later, on much more powerful hardware. Shinobi holds up visually, because it was much more stylized.
I prefer the fast paced, arcade style gameplay of Shinobi. I don't hate Ninja Gaiden, but it plays very similarly to many other games in the genre, of that time. It doesn't stand out as much, to me. It's not terrible, but it's not spectacular, in my opinion. My vote goes to Shinobi.
Oh, and the music in Shinobi was phenomenal. To all of those saying otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about. I can think of several tracks off the top of my head, which stood out to me. But I cannot for the life of me, remember a single track from the Ninja Gaiden soundtrack.

>> No.7018858

>>7018698

shinobi looks better

>> No.7018874
File: 77 KB, 600x450, 1602798686497.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7014559

Ninja Garden. Even though it was one of the most difficult and demanding games I have ever beaten. Was this just me or was the game actually that fucking hard?

>> No.7018876

>>7018783
>I was an avid reader of gaming magazines at the time it came out. I don't remember that being the general consensus, at all.
I do. Most called out how jagged it looked and how barren the environments were.
>I remember reading magazines saying it was very stylistic.
Artstyle != graphics. Everyone thought Hotsuma looked cool. People were calling out the visuals on a technical level, and in that case Shinobi looks like ass.
It's clear you like the game, but you seem to be projecting your own subjective history on it. If anything, I remember reading magazines saying it was very bland. You're stretching if your argument hinges on "stylistic" covering up its objective technical faults.
>>7018858
Let me guess, because
>MUH STYLE MUH SCARF
It objectively looks like a subpar PS2 game. Compare it to the Rygar game that came out at the same time and looked really good for a early-mid PS2 game.

>> No.7018905

>>7018876
ok

it still looks better though

>> No.7018912

>>7018876
>It objectively looks like a subpar PS2 game.
We're retro, we're supposed to like shitty graphics

>> No.7018926

>>7018876
>Kek, hard to debate with you, if you're going to just post the opposite of what I'm saying.
Your theory about people only liking Shinobi, because of the scarf is so retarded, that I'm not even sure how to respond to that. You could apply that same logic, to almost anything.

>People only think they like Mario games, only because they like his moustache
>People only like Sonic, because he has red shoes.

It's retarded, but you can believe that, if you want.

>> No.7018927

>>7018876

I remember the environmental being empty when I played it so long ago. But, I do remember that what was there was very solid. But, it just seemed like the levels were too spaced out.

>> No.7020969

>>7017671
>pacing
i couldnt force myself to finish it. i tried 3 or 4 times. its boring. that boring. ive finished ng like 5 times.

>> No.7020972

>>7018062
>extremely polished

how are you managing to breathe and feed yourself what the fuck is wrong with you? literally WHAT is polished in shinobi? And how is it more polished than whatever is in NG?

>> No.7021000

>>7018252
its a shitty game, worse in every regard. No one here is making a strong argument for it or giving any concrete examples about what is better in shinobi.

Literally everything about it is worse. I could do a bunch of bullet points comparing it. It is a worse game. Off the top of my head i would say what should be most obvious, is that in NG you can replay the game using one of the weapons, and beat it. You can solo the entire game with whatever you want. They are all viable. You can replay the game with the staff, the nunchucks, the hammer, whatever. You can use what you like best and practice with it and beat the entire game with that weapon. Shinobi has a really unpolished hack and slash attack system, no attacks have weight behind them. and it has a weird timed playstyle gimmick where you have to kill enemies fast and keep progressing through the level to not get killed by your own sword. So you pretty much have to play the game in a narrow way everytime you play it. It is super shitty and a playstyle like that would have been better as an extra weapon. Funny enough, an extra weapon like that is unlockable in NG and is a cursed katana you get from a boss. The Kitetsu. (even has unique moves because it isnt a lazy game) Shinobi is a super amateur game. Nothing about it is better in any shape way or form that Ninja Gaiden.

>> No.7021008

>>7018665
im dead serious retard. What attracted people to the game is the eye catching character. the gameplay is dull. It basically only has a fanbase because it is a ninja game.

Ninja gaiden can have the main character replaced with anyone else and it would still succeed as an action game. It gets compared constantly to DMC. Not something I like really, but the point still is that the gameplay is liked by people regardless if they like ninja shit or not.

>> No.7021016

>>7020969
Stop lying.

>> No.7021025

>>7018798
shinobi had shit everything. The only good shinobi track was fate which i think was the menu theme. There may have been one other song that was interesting but they get fucking annoying on loop through the levels.

>> No.7021029
File: 695 KB, 294x233, 7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7021000
Why are you so butthurt by the fact that some people prefer Shinobi over NG? You are a fucking schizo, man.

>> No.7021037

>>7018328
Hey Joe. How's the post-Erin simping life going?

>> No.7021079

>>7018841
you are stupid as hell. Show those two games to anyone today and they will say they would rather play NG. Not because it looks slightly better, but exponentially. Not just the graphics - the DESIGNS of EVERYTHING. the items, weapons and enemies are more inspired. The bosses, levels, and themes are more diverse too. If ninja gaiden was made on the ps2, it would still look better because everything had more attention put into it. stop making excuses. Stylized? What about shinobi is stylized other than the main character. Those enemy designs were some of the laziest ive ever seen from a ps2 game. Go back and fucking look. fucking waves of floating bats or heads or whatever? Get fucking real. Copy and pasted levels that reuse the same limited art assets and stretch it across long tedious expanses of the same repeating textures? there were better and more interesting levels in mario 64. it isnt a fucking exaggeration. Every shinobi level suffers from the Halo library syndrome where it is the same environment that is interesting for a few moments, but it is repeated over and over until you are sick of seeing it. If you get turned around in half of the shinobi levels you will go the wrong way because there are hardly any landmarks. Its a lazy fucking game.

Ninja gaiden didnt play like anything else back then which is why it took off. There were games that were similar in that there was action but they didnt play as tightly or as well. Because of stuff like Dead or Alive, they added a shit load of tight weapon combos to every single weapon. And every weapon worked smoothly and predictably and fluidly, and you could beat the game with any of them. And they all felt different enough that it would make it fun to actually play through it again with just the staff or just the nunchucks etc.

The music in shinobi was garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_ncb7UiU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYo5FNIB4T8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VufKvPtPCfg

>> No.7021090

>>7021008
No you're a retard lmao, the game has a cult following for a reason, people know what they like about the game and it's not -HEADCANON-

>> No.7021110

>>7015524
Shinobi? NG is soulless and has shit bosses that require zero skill.

>> No.7021114

>>7021079
You are wrong, Shinobi has a far better and more memorable soundtrack. And reading your schizo rants clearly show you didn't even play it.

>> No.7021125

>>7021079
>which is why it took off.
If it took off it wouldn't have to migrate to different system and have to be ported two times to sony systems to survive.

>> No.7021137

Shinobi kept my interest long enough to beat it. Same couldn't be said about NG, I dropped that shit about halfway through out of boredom.

>> No.7021143

>>7021090
shinobi has a cult following because its a "ninja game", and ninja fans have stockholme syndrome because they have to take what they can get. If the main character wasnt a ninja, half of the people who are fans wouldnt bother finishing the game. or even trying it. The main thing it has going for it, is the ninja.

>>7021110
Dumb fucking retard. Give me an example of what you think is souless about ninja gaiden, and explain how shinobi did that thing better. oh wait you cant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ZO-yfnTm0

Shit like this is amazing and there is nothing like this in shinobi. Not even close. This is peak fucking gameplay.

>>7021114
post shinobis music tracks that are so memorable then retard.

>> No.7021146

>>7021137
>long enough to beat it
Most people drop it out of frustration on the last boss.

>> No.7021156

>>7021143
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8nDFPeSK0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mr6SyDUssI
Better than the entirety of the whole nu-NG trilogy soundtracks and anything you posted

>> No.7021161

>>7021143
>Give me an example of what you think is souless about ninja gaiden
A gay dude in a gimp suit trying to pass for a ninja for one lol

>> No.7021174

>>7021156
lmao that is a joke right?

If you want something with synth in it and guitar these are better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edZZMBE-E-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVZzOCtLC4

>> No.7021191

>>7021174
LMAO I have to check if schizophrenia also impairs hearing, as this shit would be horrible as either a battle or stage track.

>> No.7021201

>>7021191
The stuff you posted doesnt sound like action game music it sounds like 80 shmup music. which is fine for that genre but has no place in an action game. Its annoying when you have to listen to that for a half hour because you fall in insta death pits. Ninja gaiden also chances its music up depending on whats going on. I highly doubt you have listened to the NG ost because it is twice or three times as large and covers a lot of different themes and ambiences.

>> No.7021217

shinobi fans actually think there game has tighter "more stylish" and better gameplay than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_nQOSzT4A

The absolute state of retards

>> No.7021229

Shinobi’s a super fun arcadey style game. I found Ninja Gaiden...just kinda boring.

>> No.7021231

test

>> No.7021238

>>7021217
Rolling like a retard isn't and never will be stylish. And yes Shinobi was designed to be stylish that's why the hero stands in a show off stance, has a sword that kills him to speed up the flow of action, leaves projections of himself on dash, has a long red scarf trailing behind him, and ends his 10+ kill streaks in a sword tapping pose while saying his condolences to his fellow ninja. That is style, not throwing a shuriken into a izuna drop and rolling like a retard.

>> No.7021239

>>7021229
you found ninja gaiden boring and shinobi fun? NG gives you 10 different weapons with their own move sets and the ability to play however you want at your own pace. Shinobi forces you to play the same way through every level, every time you play it. How can you find shinobi fun but find ninja gaiden boring in comparison? How much of a reach is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn_nQOSzT4A

>> No.7021275

>>7021239
>NG gives you 10 different weapons with their own move sets
How many of those are just a reskin of the dragon sword? 3? 4?
>dragon sword
>plasma sabre
>wooden sword
>kitetsu
Talk about padding

>> No.7021303

>>7021239
whoops meant to post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0zfuwv-5bM

>>7021238
you think doing the same thing over and over is stylish? shinobi is impressive to watch for the first 5 minutes. watching his retarded nothing personel post gets annoying eventually. Every encounter is the same. every play through is the same. The tate system railroads you into a narrow playstyle you cant deviate from at all. and its absurd you can kill the boss in one hit by using that. bosses are pointless.

Whats stylish is a game like ninja gaiden where they give you different weapons with their own stylish attacks and look. YOU get to pick how you approach your fights and you get a large range of flexibility in how you do that. Ryu has a fighting game move list and the fluidity of that is more stylish than mashing the attack button.

>>7021275
>padding

ninja gaiden doesnt need padding, because shinobi only has ONE WEAPON

the point is that every weapon is fun in its own way to use. The wooden sword is a piece of shit and its awesome to get through a level with it.

The kitetsu has a bunch of unique attacks and depending on what version you play it has a life draining feature like shinobis weapon. It has unique moves. You can throw it and do thrusting attacks with it, you can do a health suck using it like the boss can do against you when he has it.

If you are going to criticize that some of them are clones or share attacks its pointless because ninja gaiden still has plenty of weapons without the clones. The clones are just extra to fuck with.

Dragon sword/ Wooden Sword/ Kitetsu

lunar

Nunchucks/ Vigoorian flails

dabi / war hammer / dark dragon blade

unlabored flawlessness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oh7tVsTflc

even if ninja gaiden only had the dragon sword, the nunchucks, the lunar, and the warhammer, they all work and they are all completely different. Even the nunchucks are dangerous if you mix in the kicks it has and the throws.

>> No.7021413

>>7021000
This is what I remember of PS2 Shinobi as a kid. And I say that as a huge fan of the 2D Shinobi games.

>> No.7021421

>>7021303
>shinobi only has ONE WEAPON
Quality over quantity, my dude.

>> No.7021446

>>7021303
>YOU get to pick how you approach your fights and you get a large range of flexibility in how you do that.
You are still just rolling like a retard no matter the "style" of weapon. There is nothing stylish in that.

>> No.7021451

>>7021421
it doesnt have any fucking moves though it just is the same one or two attacks ad nauseum, wow such quality

>> No.7021457

>>7021446
a hack in slash where you just repeat the same 2 animations over and over is stale- it isnt interesting, its lazy but your autistic mind thinks its a stylish gameplay somehow. this must be the biggest cope on /vr/.

>> No.7021473

>>7021451
>muh movesets
PS2 Shinobi is a platformer, not a gay DMC-like.

>> No.7021475

I didn't know itagaki posted on 4chan

>> No.7021484

>>7021457
You realize that the point of shinobi isn't to do 10hit combos but to construct a chain in such a way you can kill everything in one hit? You are supposed to optimize your run to perfection not whack a boss for 10 minutes like a retard.

>> No.7021498

>>7021473
doesnt matter if shinobi is a "platformer". OP asked what game is best. the sparse platforming in ninja gaiden is more responsive and smoother than shinobi, what mental disease do you have to prefer the stage 1 shinobi level and its drab vasoline environment, arbitary invisible walls, death pits, and evil black mist projectors, to this masterfully crafted ninja fortress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtlmpxTVhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDjSA7cba4s

what is wrong with you? Right off the bat ninja gaiden shows you that it is a quality game with ambience, tightly controlled action, and beautiful levels.

>> No.7021503

Ps2 shinobi games are good and im glad the gay retard meme "platinum games should do a shinobi game!!!" never happened.

I want a fun difficult ninja platformer not a faggot dmc lite clone.

>> No.7021518

>>7021484
yeah i understand that, doenst mean it isnt a shallow and boring gamestyle. The attacks like i said previously lack in weight or impact. You just sort of glide through them with the same dull attacks and finish with the same 4 mini cinematic clips, over and over again.

Doesnt mean it doesnt get boring to play and look at. You can never play it any other way than that. If you can kill the boss in 1 hit with a tate combo the bosses are moot. It is very impressive to watch for the first 5 minutes until you realize it has the depth of a puddle.

>> No.7021534

>>7021518
Nah saying Shinobi is bad is like spitting in the face of arcade classics like Legend of Kage. Only brainlets or retards would think so.

>> No.7021554

>>7021534
its average at best. It has ideas that are good but they are executed poorly. chocolate is nice but it sucks if you have to eat it as every meal. The tate system is fun but its annoying that you have no option but to use it. It's bad if you are putting it against something that feels complete like ninja gaiden. I think the reason the game forces you to progress at such a fast pace is to distract you from the fact that nothing feels like they put more than the bare minimum work into. If you were allowed to explore the levels at your leisure people would catch on even faster to how cardboard the world feels. You cant study or admire anything about the game or else you will die. Convenient because it has the textures of a mobile phone game.

>> No.7021567

>>7014559
both
both were pretty balls on the wall too

>> No.7021574

>>7018703
and that's going to get worse once the collection is out next year

>> No.7021587

>>7021574
sigma isnt even the same game which is the real tragedy, it uses the ninja gaiden 2 engine. Its still a good game but its deceptive that its presents itself as an upgraded NGB

>> No.7021596

>>7021554
>cries about graphics
>uses food metaphors
>dismisses simple gameplay mechanics as inherently worse
Yep, a zoomer and schizo in one package.

>> No.7021635

>>7021596
get your own personality and stop parroting what other people say on 4chan. its embarrassing. its obvious you get your entire worldview from here.

the graphics are a symptom of a larger issue, it isnt THE issue. it is one of many that synergize into a larger theme, that being a lack of effort and polish. a game doesnt need to be complicated for the sake of complexity. The issue is that everything in shinobi feels cheap and shallow and rushed. Everything. Its the entire package. The graphics music stages enemies bosses voice post game content the intro movie fucking everything.

>> No.7021650

>>7014559
Going back and playing them, Shinobi feels like the better game.

>> No.7021656

>>7021650
nice samefag

>> No.7021658

>>7021635
ok

Shinobi is still a better game

>> No.7021660

>>7018252
I enjoyed it. It's anime as all fuck.

>> No.7021670
File: 136 KB, 831x804, noanon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7021656
First post in the thread anon

>> No.7021704

>>7021670
doesnt prove anything. its not hard to fudge that on purpose or even on accident by resetting a phone or resetting a router. interesting how all of these shinobi fans came out at once after i listed all of the objective things about NG that are better. Things that are tangible. Somehow, miraculously, no one can actually articulate what it is about shinobi that would make it the better game. I wonder why that is.

If you want to say shinobi is fun or that you like it thats fine, but to say it is a better game is delusional in not just one but a multitude of senses.

>> No.7021761

One thing Shinobi wins over NG is that the combat doesn't get old or drag on because if you're good you one-shot enemies.
NG has no breathers, every corner there's a new hord of enemies ala Uncharted 1 that takes way too long to kill
Ninja Gaiden is a snoozefest with good visuals

>> No.7021774

>>7018912
the problem isnt that it looks like a shitty ps2 game, because there are ps2 games that look better than games today. This is through great texture work and intelligently made models, and a good art direction. The problem is that it has moments where it looks like a n64 game, and the levels in that ninja platformer on the 64 look better and are more interesting than shinobis. That is a huge problem.

>>7018926
>marios mustache
>sonics shoes
bro that is a fat reach. youre desperate. In shinobi the scarf takes up like 5 or 10% of the fucking screen, sometimes more. Its obvious that the game was designed with it in mind as a main object of interest. It has more physics than anything else in the fucking game. room temperature IQ for you to even make that comparison.

>> No.7021796

Shinobi is only good on the Genesis.

>> No.7021802

>>7021761
How does that make any sense? shinobis combat doesnt get boring BECAUSE you can kill everything in one hit? Once you beat the game once there is nothing else to do. Is that honestly your argument why shinobi isnt boring and ninja gaiden is? Does that really make any fucking sense?

There is no incentive to try anything new. In ninja gaiden there are a shit load of ways to handle every enemy. most enemies in NG have a optimal weapon to kill them with, but like I stated before, you can solo the entire game with any weapon and still win. That is a huge deal considering the different play styles between the weapons.

In ninja gaiden you can kill a human sized enemy with the sword in 2 hits if you want. You can extend that to 4 or 5 if you feel like it. And if you like you can extend it well past that. It all depends on what moves you use. And that depends on how you choose to approach the game. And what weapons you feel like using in that moment. If your benchmark for fun is time to kill, go play dynasty warriors.

In Shinobi, with no tate combo, you kill at the same pace ryu does, slower actually if you want to argue over semantics. You can launch an enemy and stab them while they are on the ground very fast. Its crazy you can call ninja gaiden a snooze fest when it also offers new enemies on every difficulty mode.

>> No.7021814

>>7021802
Ninja Gaiden is a soft fighting game, you don't do anything else but smash the same button for 5 hours.
Even God of War is less boring.

>> No.7021820

>>7021814
then you didnt play it. if you just button mash you will die.

>> No.7021829

>>7021796
Arcade Shinobi is miles better, pleb.

>> No.7021845

even if i agreed with shinobi fans for the sake of argument that its fighting system was more fun, or better somehow, why would that matter? All you can do is that one thing, and once youve done it, thats fucking it. There is nothing else to do than that, its like memorizing the track on a racing game and just competing for a faster time. i would get bored and still end up playing ninja gaiden anyway, and playing that more. Fuck killing the same bosses over and over with the same 1 hit combo tate bullshit. how fucking boring.

>> No.7021846

>>7021820
Yes I did in normal mode you can button mash and survive
Shinobi cannot be button mashed

>> No.7021865

>>7021845
>There is nothing else to do than that, its like memorizing the track on a racing game and just competing for a faster time.

Have you ever played a arcade game before or are you genuinely retarded

>> No.7021887

>>7021865
He sounds like he's too young for /vr/

>> No.7021976

>>7021846
button mashing wont get you far at all in ninja gaiden. The enemies block more than in shinobi, not only that but they have grapple attacks. In shinobi you can absolutely button mash because once you have a small combo you bypass everythings defense. In ninja gaiden you get flanked and if you are wildly attacking enemies exploit your openings.

>>7021865
go 1cc an arcade game then, the average person has no interest in autistically seeing a number go up playing score attack. diminishing returns is a thing. In any game, the more you struggle for a higher score, the more you playstyle converges with other players who find the optimal playstyle. This sucks even more in a game like shinobi that by design forces you to play in a already narrow specific way. non autistic individuals prefer to experiment and try new things.

>>7021887
you being a dinosaur doesnt justify lazy game design like bottomless pits returning you to the start of a level in a game from the 2000s. im probably older than half the people here.

>> No.7021985

>>7021976
>not liking instant death traps
Stick to brainless jarpigs, tranny.

>> No.7021998

>>7015146
Compared to a game that has none? yeah, it’s definitely better than NG

>> No.7022003

>>7021985
its retarded. its an outdated mechanic. If you want them in your game you can find an elegant way to place them sparingly. Shinobi uses them in almost every level as a cheap way to make you restart, because the platforming is unironically harder than the combat. Because the enemy ai is dynasty warriors tier.

>> No.7022007

>>7021887
Yeah, they’re just parroting bad faith arguments from YouTube.
Anyone who says cornball shit like bottomless pits are
>durrrr bad gameplay design
Wouldn’t know good design if it shit directly in their mouth.

>> No.7022021

>>7022003
Then stop falling into the pit, scrub.

>> No.7022024

>>7021846
>normal mode

well ignoring the fact you are lying about beating ninja gaiden purely through button mashing. the funny thing is that while even normal mode is good, hard mode goes the extra mile and gives you entirely new enemies with their own move list. The enemies that are the same get new skins and in some cases voice files. As if the game needed any more incentive to replay it. This is what a good game is like.

This continues into very hard or master ninja even. Despite the fact few people can even make it there, the producers still felt the need to reward that effort with exclusive content. This isnt just leagues more impressive than shinobi, but is a length that most games in general never bother with. Difficulty levels in other games just makes enemies into damage sponges.

>> No.7022036

>>7022021
>wouldnt make you mad if you got gud

well obviously you avoid them after you fuck up once or twice, but you are still in the long run going to extend the game an hour or two longer than it should be, purely through instant death traps like that. through this out dated mechanic. The game lacks in content and makes up for it with shit like that, because there are no checkpoints. it is a cheap lazy game. I can forgive a few instant death traps, and i can forgive a lack of checkpoints, but i cant overlook a game like shinobi that is so rough around the edges, for having no checkpoints, and having instant death traps in almost every fucking level. it obviously is there to pad the game out and make it take longer.

when every level looks like it was made by one dude in a day or two those things stand out a lot.

>> No.7022239

>>7014559
>Which was the superior 6th gen ninja reboot, /vr/?
Dunno but we sure know now which one causes autism in it's fans.

>> No.7022243

>>7022239
samefag

>> No.7022254

>>7016913
People like Shinobi because of the pacing of the game design and the controls. It has a unique premise that turns every combat encounter into an elegant puzzle mixed with the movement. This does not mean the game does not have flaws: the art direction is great but the graphics were underwhelming, the level design has a lot of strong sequences but it's often a little too samey, in terms of both structure and visuals, and the last boss is a brutal pain in the ass, and the camera could have been better in general.

But acting like the game lacks any merit is just bogus shitposting.

>> No.7022306
File: 265 KB, 1700x1200, art direction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7022254
Shinobi isn't meritless. But this is a thread about which game is better. I didnt make the OP. You can say that the game has unique ideas and thats fair. there is no reason there couldnt be a modern shinobi done right that would be better than any other ninja game in theory.

but to act like shinobi for the ps2 in its current state is better than ninja gaiden is illogical. its contrarian. its underwhelming.

The puzzle aspect you mention is interesting for what it is, i like the idea of it, but like I have said before, that is only good for one playthrough. Shinobi is a on rails game. The enemy placement doesnt ever change. And while you can say its an interesting idea, a puzzle approach is the opposite of what most people want or expect from a ninja game. Tenchu is another rough around the edges game that I wish I could praise but it is an unpolished mess as well. But the stealth mechanics are great when they work. At times better than MGS even. And the "puzzles" can be tackled in many ways. And to my knowledge it really is the only only ninja series that encourages stealth and finding unorthodox routes and sneaking up on enemies. It utilizes traps and grappling hooks. People want either Stealth or action in a ninja game. Tenchu has the stealth. Its action is lacking. Ninja gaiden goes all in on the action route. It abandoned stealth which is sad but the end result is still addicting to play.

The puzzle aspect is more interesting I would say, in a tenchu approach, where you can scope ahead and try to plan how you will get past certain enemies or how you will take them out. The way you describe shinobi almost makes it sounds more like a rhythm game. it feels like a tech demo to me.

>> No.7022361

>>7022306
What are you yapping about schizo shinobi is more action than NG was with it's insulting padding some dare to call puzzles. What he meant as puzzles is a logical order of enemies you have to watch for and exploit to obtain a perfect time and chain it's pure reflex not a chess match.

>> No.7022376

>>7022003
>outdated
Stopped reading right there. Git gud, retard.

>> No.7022384

Ninja Gayden was just proto-Soulsborne and thus sucked ass.

>> No.7022992

Who the fuck could even enjoy Ninja Gaiden LMAO

>> No.7023004

>>7014559
Just chimming in to say I love Ninja Giaden. Haven't played Shinobi sadly.

>> No.7023014

>>7022384
Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls are almost nothing alike.

>> No.7023018

>>7014559
NGB because graphics. that might be an unpopular opinion but Shinobi looked terrible compared to this game. they did seem to put more effort into story and gameplay as well and Shinobi didn't have that. it focused more on the arcade style game play. there also was one called Kunoichi focusing on a female protag coming from the Shinobi seires but it was also not as good as NG in the end.

>> No.7023250

>>7023018
>muh grafics
gb2 >>>/v/

>> No.7023374

>>7021143
Ryu clones are by far the best bosses i've ever fought in any action game, nothing even comes close. It doesn't follow the usual pattern of "dodge attack(s) and then whack them for a bit", you're constantly on the move looking for openings and any misstep gets punished instantly. Aside from their infinite ninpo being bullshit sometimes and the lame cheese tactics they're pure perfection.

>> No.7023594

>>7022361
there is no action to zooming into floating bat heads and hitting them once with a bonk on the head, and zooming to the next. Thats just lazy and retarded. It is closer to a rhythm game than an action title because of your retarded tate system. Almost no one finds that fun or interesting, and if you do, it becomes a burden once you realize its the only way to play.

Big enemy? OH better bonk the small bois first before i hit the big boi! That way i dont need to fight it! And it is this way every time i play! No need to think!

Wow what an adrenaline rush this is why the game failed retard

>> No.7023597

>>7023250
ninja gaiden could have been made on the ps2 and it would have had better graphics because the designs are all more interesting especially the fucking enemies. There are n64 games with better environment art than shinobi. Fuck graphics. there is just a point where something looks like ass.

>> No.7023610

>>7023374
The ryu clones were fucking impressive because it felt like you were fighting another human. After you fight them long enough you can see the small cracks that make it an AI, but they really are the most fun I have ever had fighting an Ai opponent. The fact that they can use the environment to chase you with your own acrobatics just makes it that much better. its pure action and reflexes at that point.

You are right about the ninpo thing, it can be bullshit but you can counter it by rolling or dodging behind cover. And personally I find it fun when you and the ai are doing a short ninpo battle, because it is the sort of thing that would happen if you were fighting another player honestly. I can easily see it.

Its very fun to see what moves the AI uses to kick your ass because you also end up learning a bit from them also which is an added bonus.

>> No.7023630
File: 493 KB, 634x792, ninja_gaiden_samurai_footsoldier_render_png_by_muraimustdie_dc5mi3t-fullview.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wow, you mean to tell me that ninja gaiden put the same amount of effort into the rest of the game and its enemy variety, as they did the player model? wtf i love games now.

>> No.7023636
File: 40 KB, 518x728, 16-Horseman_Archer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wtf

>> No.7023639
File: 31 KB, 420x792, 12-SAT_Grenadier.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what the fuck there are a variety of themes and they are all exciting? youre lying!

>> No.7023646
File: 19 KB, 284x526, Enemy_Guard_MSAT_Shield_074.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the enemies even change form on higher difficulty modes!? It cant be true!!!!

>> No.7023647
File: 57 KB, 510x588, Enemy_Berserker_062.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there are entirely new enemies with entire new MOVESETS on higher difficulties as well!? it isnt possible!

>> No.7023648

>>7016913
>The only reason people even remember shinobi is because the player character looks cool

This is why people bother with ninja games in the first place, dummy.

>> No.7023649

>>7021156
you know ninja gaiden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shinobi, right?

>> No.7023650
File: 2.78 MB, 900x506, whiffpunish.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7023610
In terms of AI the regular enemies are no slouch either . It genuinely feels like the enemies coordinate their attacks together sometimes, I can't even get mad when something like clip related happens to me.

>> No.7023652
File: 42 KB, 392x578, Enemy_Soldier_Brown_106.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7023648
yeah but you need actual content once you have the player hooked or its garbage

This guy right here will intercept your forward dash attack and will catch you on his bayonet, and he will shoot you while he lifts your ass in the air if you fuck up. Because the developers actually tried to make every encounter unique.

>> No.7023656

>>7023650
the regular enemies are fully capable of taking you out. which is why the game is so exciting. You never underestimate them or you get fucked. The AI can be unpredictable, and if you dont move they will exploit it and get sick of waiting for you, walk up, and throw your ass on the ground while the rest stab you.

The game puts you in the hardest shit right at the start with the ninja fortress, with a shit healthbar, and if you can beat that then you can beat the entire game. its just perfectly balanced. No bullshit. No gimmicks.

>> No.7023667

>>7018665
>>7021090
>jojo image
>retard/tranny responses
checks out.

>> No.7023668
File: 355 KB, 1623x960, image_ninja_gaiden-221-243_0014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how many cool designs did they manage to include in this game! it isnt fair!

>> No.7023674
File: 72 KB, 1024x576, 551806-561532_20040226_002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

enemies even punish you with unique grapples? NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

>> No.7023678
File: 173 KB, 1024x720, 665270-928401_20050729_002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

shinobi bros what the fuck it isnt fair! they even stole our costume and made it unlockable! they are just fucking with us now!

>> No.7023682
File: 30 KB, 468x640, 1332694-ishtaros.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

god DAMNIT bros they even have the coomers now! They fucking thought of everything! What the fuck happened!

>> No.7023685

>>7023652
Kerberos Panzer Cop lookin' motherfucker.

>> No.7023719

>>7021125
That doesn't mean much, character action games are niche. Aside from the ones that were funded and published by a console manufacturer basically all of them went multi-plat at some point.

>> No.7023728

Shinobi is better. Fast paced and laser focused on player skill. Also no crutch ninja dog difficulty to carry you through you either are gud enough or you get filtered.

>> No.7023838
File: 298 KB, 853x437, Screenshot_2020-10-25 Ninja Gaiden 3 Izuna Drop.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never understood the appeal of these games with ridiculously long moves lists with every single button combination.
Shinobi is better because it has just a few buttons that perform consistent functions allowing me to make my own combos.

>> No.7023919

>>7023838
Most long combos are rarely used in NG because they get interrupted more often than not.
NG has plenty of moves that aren't combos which you will use far more often
>X
>forward X
>Y
>forward Y
>charged Y
>rotate Y
>B
>jumping attacks
>running attacks
>wall attacks attacks
>counter attacks
>guillotine throw
>flying swallow
>essence techniques
>ultimate techniques
Some of the weapons also have short combos which are incredibly useful like XY for the dragon sword and forward YYY for the flails.

>> No.7024253

>>7023838
what is your idea of a long move? 4 attacks? 6? 8? Most of the long ones are niche and situational. id say 80% of the time your combos will be 4 or 5 hits long max.

the move with the arrow continues into a stab, depending on how your combo is going and what the enemy is doing, stuff like that gives you a small amount of control over whats happening once you are already in the middle of a combo. because the stab combos can end with kicks that can stun man size enemies.

in this video at 5:15 he shows those combos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIvfavFGH5I
your image is also a image of ninja gaiden 3. i think it is a shit game despite being a ninja gaiden fan. I think ninja gaiden black is far superior to shinobi but i would say shinobi is better than ninja gaiden 3 possibly. Not in terms of the content or graphics but just in the fluidity of the game. NG3 is janky. it seems more like a god of war game or something.

>> No.7024275

>>7023919
running xx with the dragon sword is fucking addicting.

>> No.7024318

>>7024275
For me, it's lunar running Y. It's nice how you can get running XX from foward X with the dragon sword though.

>> No.7024334

>One shitposting teen ruins a thread

>> No.7024339

>>7023728

if you think shinobi is faster paced than NG you're retarded. Block in place and some asshole will flip over you and stab you through the back. How much skill is there in a game where you have to attack the enemies in a predetermined pattern every time you play? You can memorize all of the encounters in a level and bypass the combat almost entirely. Just like the Bosses.

Most people just stop on the last level in shinobi because the game is so jank. So your point is moot. The last boss is terribly designed. People have argued this enough.

Ninja gaiden vanilla has no ninja dog mode. You just beat it or you dont.

Ninja gaiden black does, and it is a tough love scenario where the game teases you a bit for it, but lets you learn the ropes so you can tackle it on normal. Some of the best content is locked behind hard mode, which should tell you that the game is designed with improvement in mind. Enemies are new and old enemies even get new attacks so your old strategies need to evolve. The game rewards hard work. To me that is a better experience in the long run. Even very hard and master ninja even have their own bits of exclusive content. Most gamers dont feel the need to go that far, but its obvious the developers put love into the game so it never felt stale.

Hell, on very hard mode, the samurai on horse back boss even dismount and fights you on foot as a surprise half way through the fight. Its insane. Players think after normal and hard that this boss has no cards left up his sleeve and the game catches you off guard with little details like that.

>> No.7024345

>>7024318
the running y lunar is fucking kino. thats where you do a shin high sweep with it and flip over it right? I like to do that in the lunar duel with the ryu clone.

its been a while since ive played but i like the one where its forward x or something where you stand in place but spin it around you. Just to mix things up before a different move.

>> No.7024401

hmm............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgwnNFl42ic

>> No.7024420

hmmm....................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGXUDCk1HtA

>laser honed gameplay

>pure skill

what did the shinobilet mean by this comparison

>> No.7024453

>>7024345
Yeah it is.
>the one where its forward x or something where you stand in place but spin it around you
Like the second hit from the XXX string on the lunar? That's forward X yeah, it's pretty much the only way you can izuna drop with a non-lvl3 lunar. I always get blown up when I use that move because I don't really use lunar all that much, I'm more of a flail guy.

>> No.7024456

>>7024339
>The last boss is terribly designed.
Nice way of admitting you are scrub there. The last boss is the perfect amalgamation of everything you should have picked up during the course of the game all you need is the skill to execute it. Keep on rolling on the ground and pretending it makes the game fast chump.

>> No.7024459

Thx op now I feel like replaying some Shinobi. Should I play that sequel with the girl too or is it just a pointless rehash?

>> No.7024460

>>7024345
>kino
you have to be 18 to post here kid

>> No.7024461
File: 7 KB, 249x249, 1564464516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Holy fuck why are so many NGfags such massive cunts? I'm not even a shinobi fag, I haven't played the game yet but half this thread is pure cancer.

>> No.7024468

>>7024461
NG is a mental disorder it was proven time and time again on /v/ that it's fans are rabid schizos that can't stand living in the shadow of great games like Devil May Cry or Shinobi.

>> No.7024474

>>7024453
the lunar is a strange weapon coming from the dragon sword, but is great for range and crowd control. i think the difficulty is knowing when to use its fast combos and when to use its slower ones. Props to you for using the flails because while i can get by with it, i never really sunk the time into understanding the strategy of it.

That is the thing i love most about that game. Every weapon really lets you replay the entire story in a new way, but you have to invest the time to learn. I liked the new weapons in ninja gaiden 2 a lot but wasnt a fan of the changes to the combat pacing and the need for constant execution kills. If someone ever modded the falcon claws and scythe and everything else from ng2 into ngb i would die happy.

>> No.7024490

>>7024456
the majority of people who play the game drop it at that fight for a reason. There is a problem when most people drop your game at the final boss because it doesnt make any sense to them. There is a point where the game filtering everyone at the end is a design flaw. be honest with yourself. Ninja gaidens hardest level is the first level for a reason. you have the least health and have to die over and over learning the basics. From there no matter what happens your skill will get you through and there are no gimmicks.

>>7024461
the OP is about what game is better, and it should be clear through the footage of the game which one is the better game. Shinobi fans are just obtuse and weird and defend poor design choices. ng fans really have no issues with shinobi fans but when shinobi fans try to say that ninja gaiden is a worse game it just makes no sense.

>>7024468
shinobi fans ar autistic, you can defend shinobi all you want but saying that it is better than ninja gaiden is stupid. They make vague claims that shinobi is faster paced or has better gameplay and all of the video comparisons show how utterly wrong that is. The average person would think you are weird or retarded for saying that if they watched both games in action. go watch the boss videos i posted. They arent even in the same ball park.

>> No.7024514

>vasoline diarrhea environment
>somehow looks far worse than mario 64
>enemies are spiders with 4 polygons
>the same 5 rooms are repeated because they didnt want to make anything difficult
>everything looks like washed out toilet paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09VALNWBTGE

so this is the power of /vr/

>> No.7024546

>>7024474
Yeah the crowd control is nuts but I always knock away enemies before killing them. Chaining UT's is the most effective strat I've found with it but it's rather boring, I need more practice with it.
>Props to you for using the flails because while i can get by with it, I never really sunk the time into understanding the strategy of it.
It was tricky initially but it's really nice to be able to combo infinitely with it by staggering your strings. It isn't quite as good against heavier enemies like the armored soldiers and the crab fiends so it falls off later in the game but it's still really fun.
Cremator (forward during your XXX string) is super satisfying to use as you're basically invulnerable and you just shred through lighter enemies with it. The fiend sealer is also really strong, I don't know how much damage it does but it has to be one of the strongest fiend sealers in the game as counter + fiend sealer outright kills some enemies. Lastly the flying swallow is actually good even on Master Ninja because you can either chain it into a jumping Y or do an on-landing Y immediately afterwards. Finding a safe opening to use it can be a bit tricky though.

>> No.7024580

>>7015132
>mentions artificial difficulty

>ignores that shinobi places instant death pits towards the end of levels forcing you to redo 20 fights because you fell in a hole

at least be fucking consistent, most of shinobis challenge is in its jank platforming, ironically. Not the enemies. it sucks having to sleepwalk through 20 fights again just to re attempt the same jump.

>> No.7024593

>zoomers get filtered by Shinobi's hard oldschool style platforming so they retreat to the easier game

Why am I not surprised?

>> No.7024594

>>7024580
>nooo the game can't punish you for lacking skill
Nice cope but NG also has instant death falls.

>> No.7024597

>The Shinobi CHAD vs the Virgin Ninja Gayden
I think the choice is obvious. Shinobi.

>> No.7024602

>>7014559
Both are really good but I’d say Gaiden has the edge.

>> No.7024604

>>7015537
Tomonobu mad.

>> No.7024606

I love NGB but you shinobi fags really goaded that autist into spending his whole day typing up essays on 4chan lol based as fuck

>> No.7024653

Holy shit, I had no idea Ninja Gaiden fans were so thin skinned. Calm down, guys. They're just games. Anyway...

>People saying Ninja Gaiden had more weapons
More bells and whistles, doesn't make it a better game.
>Ninja Gaiden had better graphics.
It came out years after Shinobi, on a more powerful system. It hasn't aged as gracefully, as Shinobi.
>It's difficult, therefore a great game.
A large part of what made Ninja Gaiden difficult, was the camera. Shinobi didn't have this issue, because you could always re-position the camera, wherever you wanted.
By the way, just because Ninja Gaiden is "hard" that doesn't suddenly make it an amazing game. Shinobi was a challenging game, as well. Yet this is not the main appeal. The main appeal is that it's a finely tuned, well thought out product.
To everyone saying Ninja Gaiden had better music, you're really grasping for straws. Shinobi had a better OST, by a landslide.

I barely even remember anything about Ninja Gaiden, to be honest. It was pretty forgettable. I remember Shinobi, vividly, and I haven't played either in ages.

>> No.7024662

>>7024461
They just can't cope with Shinobi being more fun. I think it's just one guy samfagging defending Ninja Gaiden, anyway.

>> No.7024667

>>7021000
> it has a weird timed playstyle gimmick
Sounds like you just didn't understand how it worked.

>> No.7024676
File: 336 KB, 925x583, ITT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Basically this thread.

>> No.7024732

>>7024676
shinobi hardly classifies as a game. its basically itouch 2012 chang app tier gaming.

>> No.7024743

>>7024667
i understood it which is why i beat the game and was bored of it half way through. There is only one way to play so it isnt complicated.

>>7024662
autistic people do tend to like repeating the same thing over and over which is convenient for shinobi fans, who have to use the same play style every time they repeat a level for a higher score. its super fun which is why it has the same amount of fans as ninja gaiden.

>> No.7024760
File: 1.01 MB, 1310x1148, ryuface.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>shinobi hardly classifies as a game. its basically itouch 2012 chang app tier gaming.

>> No.7024771

>>7024653
You can play ninja gaiden with only the dragon sword and it is a better experience than shinobi. You dont need any other weapons. It just is icing on the cake.

You are delusional if you think ninja gaiden hasnt aged better than shinobi, screw graphics if that is your game just listen to these voice clip grunts when he gets stuck in the web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09VALNWBTGE

it feels like a studios first title

Ninja gaiden doesnt have a difficult camera at all, and if you play black you just press the left trigger to instantly move it wherever ryu is looking, so its more predictable than pretty much any other action game. You are always in control of it. Ninja gaiden isnt fun because its "hard" if anything, i would say shinobi is a harder game than ninja gaiden. The problem is the difficulty in shinobi mainly comes from tedium. The enemies arent as hard as the ones in ninja gaiden. But the jank platforming and bland levels make retrying after a death an absolute slog.

The music isnt relevant in most games but it is one of the many things about shinobi that culminates in it feeling like a rushed cashgrab when you keep in mind the absolute garbage level design and ugly enemies and horrible voice acting.

You say you remember nothing from NG but I remember almost nothing from shinobi. compare these boss clips, because almost any of these alone from NG are better than all the bosses in shinobi.

>>7024401
>>7024420

>> No.7024774

>>7024594
I already explained that part of a design is in the balance and nuance. Ninja gaiden uses them sparingly, it isnt in every level. And when you do fall off a ledge, you dont lose 15 or 20 minutes of progress either. The death pits are a super outdated design. But you can still use them if you implement them right. Shinobi overused them in almost every level and then made you restart the entire thing over when you fell in one.

>> No.7024780

>>7024606
the shinobi guy is just pretending to be a bunch of people, i dont have any reason to bother with that. its obvious because it is a flurry of posts all at the same time acting like they are different people. its day 1 /b/ tier shit.

>> No.7024785

>>7024760
>green eyes
wtf ninja gaiden man is white?

>> No.7024787

>Shinobi is bad because it's repetitive and has bottomless pits.

Cope. It's designed to be more arcade like, in it's design. Many of which happen to have bottomless pits.

>> No.7024791
File: 8 KB, 223x226, frogman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7024780
>Ninja Gaiden guy, has already been called out for samfagging.
>N-No! It's the Shinobi guy who's samfagging! Not me!

Based Shinobichad.

>> No.7024792

>>7024787
and this thread is OP asking which game is better. OP never stated his preference but VAST majority of people find copy and pasted level assets with n64 textures offputting to look at for 20 minutes while avoiding instant death pits. That isnt fun to most people and feels cheap, not in the unfair sense but in the sense of, wow this game really doesnt have much to offer so that are resorting to everything they can to stretch this out as long as possible.

>> No.7024797
File: 43 KB, 332x396, 1450488149082.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7024792

>> No.7024803

>>7024791
just because i reply to multiple posts doesnt mean i am pretending to be more than one person anon. nice reading comprehension.

everytime the shinobi posters agree with eachother it all is in the same 5 minutes. its obvious.

>> No.7024804

>>7024797
enjoy your chang app title. I dont care if you enjoy it, it has novel ideas. but dont say its a better game because its rushed and hollow and underdeveloped.

>> No.7024808
File: 24 KB, 1310x1135, ryujack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7024804
>enjoy your chang app title. I dont care if you enjoy it, it has novel ideas. but dont say its a better game because its rushed and hollow and underdeveloped.

>> No.7024835

>>7024785
The green eyes is a sign of his demon heritage IIRC.

>> No.7024849

>>7024594
NGB has like one death pit in the fire/ice caves that is actually designed for you to fall in if you mess up. The rest are just a result of you being retarded

>> No.7024858

Ninja Gaiden was only good on the Famicom, and even then those games paled to pretty much any 2D Shinobi game.

>> No.7024861

>shinobi fan hypocritically complains about ninja gaidens camera

21:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cDTZgKTtW8

the cognitive dissonance is massive. the camera makes every boss fight in shinobi a pain in the ass because you are rushing to get a tate combo up while the camera is spazzing out the entire time.

>> No.7024868

>>7024858
That's nice. We're talking about 6th gen 3d ITT.

>> No.7024887

>>7024849
Wrong, the first one is on the airship.

>> No.7024898

>>7024887
yeah dumbass with a fucking save 30 seconds before that. considering that the first two levels take place in the mountains and dont have any, and that this level is in the fucking sky on a blimp, you only have yourself to blame if you manage to fall off. The save statue is less than a minute away from that.

>> No.7024904

>>7024898
the point i was trying to get at with this is that not only are they rare, but when they are used in NG they at least fit some kind of theme. It isnt just a thing that cram into every other level.

>> No.7024908

Pits are bad game design. There's a reason Castlevania got rid of them when IGA made the series actually good with Symphony of the Night.

>> No.7024914

>>7024898
>considering that the first two levels take place in the mountains and dont have any
Wrong, you can fall to your death in the ninja fortress. Did you even play the game?

>> No.7024920

>>7024914
not him but where? are you sure you aren't talking about the trap door you're supposed to fall through that doesn't kill you?

>> No.7024923

>>7024908
i dont think its terrible if there are 1 or 2 in a game, they can stand out as memorable even if they are frustrating, but that really has to be the fucking limit. And ideally they should be worked into the environment in a way that seems like it makes sense or is believable. So much about shinobi just seems lazy and unimaginative. Like the floating rock talismans you have to hit to remove the energy force fields. In EVERY level. Like fuck. At least in Ninja gaiden they tried to mix it up by locking areas off with gates or collapsed buildings or something. Sometimes they used fire and other times things like elevators. Anything.

>> No.7024925

>>7024803
>Ninja Gaiden poster takes all day to respond.
>Shinobi poster shitposts at the speed of a ninja.

Okay, I think we have a winner here.

>> No.7024926

>>7024920
Seems being a Shinobichad has granted me more knowledge about NG than it's most ardent defenders LMAO

>> No.7024929

>>7024920
>>7024914
he has to be talking about the trap door. the funny thing is you have to fall in that to get an item anyway. kek.

>> No.7024931

>>7024926
can you answer my question?

>> No.7024937

>>7024929
>he has to be talking about the trap door
No I'm talking about a instant death fall in the first mission of NG1/B/S/whatever.

>> No.7024938

>>7024926
9:14

>>7024931
i think he is thinking of this. he is just retarded.

>> No.7024943

>>7024937
>>7024938
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDjSA7cba4s
9:14 whoops didnt post link

>> No.7024956

>>7024938
>>7024943
LOL NO. You guys are really pathetic, am I to believe not a single one of you explores the levels just going straight where the game tells you to go? LMAO what's the point of crying about Shinobi being set in corridors when you treat NG like a corridor?

>> No.7024958

>>7024908
Now this is teenposting.

>> No.7024961

>>7024956
if you watch the video there isnt a single area in the first level you can die. i doubt you are patient enough to investigate the link i sent but you are retarded or something.

>> No.7024967
File: 28 KB, 604x604, 1603659208134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7024956
>going out of your way to find places to purposefully jump off the map is a "death pit"
you must be fucking retarded my man

>> No.7024974

>>7024967
there isnt anywhere you can die in the first level even if you try because ive tried my hardest to explore that game. hes imagining it. you cant fall off the waterfall at the start and if you did that is the start of the game, there is no time to lose. the ninja fortress has no death pits, and the first level doesnt let you venture out of the ninja fort.

>> No.7024983

>>7024974
When you start the level there is literally a box behind your back try to jump over it and you will die. There case solved.

>> No.7025005
File: 69 KB, 935x587, 1601303697728.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7024983
there is nothing there ive played the game through 10 times, not only are you imagining something fictional, you are putting the burden of proof on us despite it not existing.

>> No.7025010
File: 68 KB, 600x551, af820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this topic

>> No.7025015

>>7024983
post your video as proof or gtfo

>> No.7025018

>>7024983
you are trying to say that this at 2:10 is a death pit? What kind of reach is that? Not only can you not fall off, if you did you would lose the first 5 seconds of the game. What a fucking reach. how the fuck can you even compare that to a mid or end level death pit? This would be a joke if anything to make the player laugh. Its apples and oranges.

>> No.7025023

>>7025018
forgot link 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByHCu-O1lz0

>>7025015
i think he is trying to talk about this box but from what i remember you cant fall off, and if you can why would it matter? It would be a joke at that point. to even bring it up is bizarre. A death pit in the first 3 seconds of the game wouldnt even be a death pit, it would be a laugh and a warning not to jump off a CLIFF.

>> No.7025031

>>7025023
actually im tired there is no box its a fucking rock. i guess i really wanted to believe this guy for some reason.

>> No.7025035

>>7025018
>how the fuck can you even compare that to a mid or end level death pit
Who said I did? I just said
>you can fall to your death in the ninja fortress
in response to your erroneous statement and you sore ass chumps piled on me for not even knowing such a obvious thing. I don't care about your butthurt tears of denial and COPE. Also Shinobi>NG

>> No.7025050
File: 3.71 MB, 1747x945, 1264165465465.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7025031
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the sigma version, there's a box there but you can't fall to your death there either because of an invisible wall.

>> No.7025054

>>7025035
there isnt any way to fall to your death and if there was and it was in the first 3 seconds it wouldnt matter. the complaint about shinobi isnt even as simple as it having *A* death pit. Or 2 or 3. The problem is that almost every level has more than one, and they are used in such a way that when you do die, it means you lose 15 or 20 minutes of your time. If the death pits in shinobi only made you lose a minute or two, it wouldnt matter nearly as much. You seem unstable and unintelligent. Regardless of you not understanding the reasonable nature of that, you imagined the death pit in the first level. it isnt there.

>> No.7025062

>>7025050
i never played sigma but im not surprised this guy who is reaching for straws is imagining shit. figures. it looks gorgeous but i got turned off when i heard it uses the ng2 engine.

Hell if you could die at the start it would be funny and clever. A none punishing way of telling you not to do it again.

>> No.7025078
File: 917 KB, 2731x2048, alex-colvin-shinobi-smol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7014559
Is that even a question?

>> No.7025087

>>7025062
>i heard it uses the ng2 engine
You sure it does? It plays just like NGB aside from stuff like back and side rolls being different because of the sigma changes. I don't have my xbox anymore so I can't really check it though.
Also the first few levels got most of the attention, Sigma Tairon doesn't look that much different from NGB Tairon. Tairon somehow has more loading screens too despite TN removing 2 shortcuts.

>> No.7025093

>>7025078
honestly as someone who thinks ninja gaiden is a far superior game, if they had a competent team make a current gen shinobi, theresno reason it couldnt be one of the best games of the year. I dont hate the premise or idea of it. Quite the contrary. I just think that the ps2 one was a chop shop hack job held together with the bare minimum amount of attention and effort. The underlying ideas are solid. the execution is what was bad. NG3 was hot garbage so i would have no problem with a new shinobi blowing ninja gaiden out of the water as it stands today. i am not biased against the franchise.

>> No.7025096

I just ordered a PS2, and a copy of Shinobi on Amazon. Thanks everyone for reminding me how much fun Shinobi was. I haven't played that it forever. Can't wait to replay it.

>> No.7025106

>>7025087
i had heard it did but i may be wrong. im pretty sure i had heard that the animations or frames or something were handled differently and that is why some techniques dont work the same way as they used to. IDK tho might be wrong.

if a ps3 is cheap i may pick one up just to finally try it. i had really mixed impressions and feelings with ng2 which was why that bothered me so much. Ng2 is a great game but has a lot of roughness to it that made me see it as an inferior experience, despite the better graphics and new weapons.

>> No.7025114

>>7025096
Enjoy it, bro. Also consider playing/replaying Maximo for that spooky retro halloween vibe while your at it.

>> No.7025121

>>7025106
You can always emulate it unless your PC is a literal potato. It's what I did whenever I needed my NG fix after having given away my OG xbox.

>> No.7025135

>>7025096
After you finish it and have a craving for more try Nightshade which has a cool bonus of allowing you to play as Hotsuma from Shinobi if you have a save from Shinobi (which you have to beat on at least normal) on your memory card.

>> No.7025141

>>7025121
i looked up a video of the first level and it really is a good looking game. The changes though to the background menus, and the apparent inclusion of the dual swords from NG2 does reinforce the feeling of it being made with the ng2 engine though.

my computer could probably handle it, but i feel like getting a ps3 would be a smart thing to do one day anyway. Since NG and NGB were made for the xbox as an exclusive, i wouldnt be surprised if there were quirks in ngb that would have prevented porting it to the ps3 after the fact. Using the ng2 engine probably made more sense if it had to change platforms.

I have only finished NG2 once, and have finished NGB probably 10 times. which one did you like more? some people like 2 a lot more and i like 1 more, but i feel like either answer is acceptable over 3.

>> No.7025143

>>7025141
forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhgovdS7Uk

5:25 mentions dragons fang

>> No.7025157

>>7025141
Never played NG2, the only console I ever owned was the OG xbox. That said the interconnected world was one of my favorite aspects of NGB and I never was very fond of the UT system in black as I though the risk-reward ratio was too skewed towards UT's so I'll probably go with Black. I'd still like to play 2 some day though, I'm considering buying a cheap OneX so I can use it as a NG + Ace combat 6 machine.

>> No.7025190

>>7025135
I think I'll try playing that, afterward. Thanks.

>> No.7025203

>>7024461
Every fanbase that deludes themselves into being "hardcore" gamers always attracts massive cunts. Eventually as the games fall into obscurity, it's only the massive cunts that are left.
Shinobi is more fun and less edgy so it's the better game.

>> No.7025218

>>7025157
the UT stuff was awesome when used sparingly, but i know that the score attack side of the game suffered for it. There was a XBL tournement for the game where people tried to get the highest karma score. Using UT was a big part of that. The reason I dont take scoring in games seriously is that at the top level you always have to abuse mechanics in some way that isnt in the original spirit of the game. basically i am just agreeing with you.

For the average player though, they arent good enough to really abuse them that much, because they get swarmed by enemies, and by the time you are good enough at the game to not get your shit pushed in, you dont really need the UT much anymore other than to spice things up. So i think it balances itself out the majority of the time.

The thing about 2 that sucked is they went balls in with the gore, and so you had executions that were animations that played where you were invincible during them even if you werent moving around much. Something about it just was tacky to me. Against 1 opponent they were cool, but it felt dumb when you were performing execution animations and you saw weapons clip through you and you didnt take damage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHvyWA3WJA

that being said, the new weapons they added were really cool. So i have always been torn about that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MkOW_A1kw

i think the combat pacing in NGB is perfect and i think ng2 goes a little too crazy.

>> No.7025224

>>7025203
>l

>> No.7025229

>>7025203
>less edgy
>your own weapon kills you

ok : )

>> No.7025237

>>7025203
ninja gaiden keeps getting support on every xbox console, there is nothing obscure about it

>> No.7025291

Ok, I'm buying a copy of Shinobi, right now. You guys are making this game sounds fucking awesome.

>> No.7025308

>>7025291
it was funny the first time, you overplayed your hand.

>> No.7025424

The fact that NG 2 and 3 were so poorly received, is proof Shinobi has aged better. Those two games, aren't too different from the first, so that illustrates that the first game isn't quite on the level many of you are making it out to be.

>> No.7025467

>>7025424
ninja gaiden black, ng2 and ng3 are incredibly different to ninja gaiden fans, who are critical of their own franchise, because they are unbiased. 2 and 3 did better with casual fans because there was more gore and blood. 2 sold well. it has a lot of eyecandy at the expense of clarity. 1 did better with the hardcore audience. you can look into it. 3 was more of a generic action game, it is the bastard child of the trilogy. The people you hear who say ninja gaiden black is a great game are saying that because of the pacing and combat tempo.

shinobi puttered out on the ps2 and has been dead since so i guess it wasnt quite as good as you say either then. They tried to abandon ship and go back to side scrolling and they fucked that up also. : )

>> No.7025476

>>7025467
btw 2 also introduced automatic healing between encounters, 2 was also made easier than 1. and 3 is made easier than 2.

>> No.7025484

>>7025424
The fact that you haven't played Ninja Gaiden makes your opinion worthless.

>> No.7025493

>>7025424
dog retarded if you cant see how different these are in the first levels of their respective games
ngb
1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswF7LuYNGo

ng2
3:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0luhGlxKs3M

>> No.7025520

>>7025484
I never said that. I played it when it came out, back in the day. It's fine if you like it, just explaining my rationale.

>> No.7025530

>>7025520
If you had played both games you would know there is no contest. I consider myself a Sega and Shinobi fan, but this game was complete trash. I pretended Ryu is Joe Musashi and all of my rage disappears. Ninja Gaiden is the best modern Shinobi.

>> No.7025531

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T9aPaFL0KU&list=FLqbfWJIgKK23nYV3tQgWWaw&index=39&t=39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNGagnfSfs&list=FLqbfWJIgKK23nYV3tQgWWaw&index=40&t=20s

I prefer Shinobi's music. Here's a couple of my favorites, to give same examples.

>> No.7025538

Shinobi > Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven > Ninja Gaiden, imo

All good games, but I enjoyed Shinobi the most.

>> No.7025573

>>7025538
tenchu had awesome ideas but was a shit pile. Pretty much everything in the game worked except the combat. which felt like you were fighting on the moon.

that having been said, the grappling hook, caltrops, poison, stealth, were great when they worked. stuff that could have benefited shinobi and ngb. if either game gets a new entry i hope they borrow at least some of that.

>> No.7025603

>>7025573
True. The combat wasn't as strong. I thought it still excelled at the stealth elements. An trait, which is strangely absent from most ninja games.

>> No.7025819

>>7025531
i dont get the appeal of the shinobi ost. the high pitched synths and annoying whistly sounds in those get really grating after 10 minutes of a stage. I get that they are colorful and arcadey but they get annoying really fast since they just play on loop for as long as you struggle with the stage. The synths they used just feel really cheap and flat. would have been better in shorter bursts i think.

>> No.7025876

>Everyone arguing for Ninja Gaiden is throwing a temper tantrum in this thread.

Yikes. I don't know why the Ninja Gaiden fanbase is like this. Judging by this thread, they're meanspirited and insecure that some people actually like Shinobi better.

>> No.7025943

>>7025876
nice bait

>> No.7025951

>>7025876
>everyone criticizing the ninja gaiden fans are samefagging because the unique post id never goes up

hmm really gets my noggin going

>> No.7026023

Ninja Gayden lol

>> No.7026047

>>7026023
nice samefag you couldnt even put the effort in to reset your router

>> No.7026085

>>7026047
stay buttmad ngbabby

>> No.7026119

>>7026085
/; o durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

>> No.7026651

>>7026023
ShrinkoBOI vs Nancy Gayness

>> No.7027240

Pretty sure this thread firmly established that Shinobi is the superior game. Ninja Gaiden fans made a valiant effort to present their case but it all fell short and became mired in delusions and insults pretty quickly.

>> No.7027337
File: 34 KB, 260x367, Shinobido_Way_of_the_Ninja.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

*blocks your path*

>> No.7027478

>>7027240
NGfags made good points even if they were childish about, Shinobifags haven’t really made any solid points as to what makes Shinobi superior to NG aside from it being up to personal preference.

>> No.7027491

Shinobi McDonalds and Ninja Gaiden is...I dunno...Applebee's or something not quite fast food but not fine dinning either.

Ninja Gaiden felt crafted and had a specific methodology to how you play. Shinobi felt like a basic action game with a cool scarf engine.

>> No.7027541

>>7027478
There have been plenty of points raised in this thread. The NG fans are just choosing to not acknowledge them. Covering their ears, while screaming their game is better.

>> No.7027554

>>7027491
That’s kinda the reverse of how I feel to be honest. Ninja Gaiden just feels like a fairly standard God of War style game to me. Although back then, I guess it was more so compared to a Devil May Cry clone.

>> No.7027573
File: 50 KB, 600x700, 1e981f20abea60c07b433d46f6065d3c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7027491
It's the opposite, really

Ninja Gaiden was made to appeal to everyone in just letting you do cool shit any way you want and still win. For most people this is a positive aspect, which is why it is the most popular

Shinobi, on the other hand, is crafted to play as a puzzle and specifically requires the player to be as efficient as possible to survive, being economical with both their attacks on enemies and even choosing what order to attack enemies in to chain the kills and prevent your own life from being drained. Because of this it has a more limited appeal and only players who enjoy such a challenge will be drawn to it.

Interestingly, only NGB on the Xbox seems to be praised, while all the other ports and sequels get a lukewarm response, almost as if the Xbox's lack of other notable action games has something to do with the fondness players have for NG. Shinobi on the other hand had to compete with several stellar new action titles that redefined the genre on its platform.

>> No.7027609

>>7027573
Well said. Unfortunately the Ninja Gaiden fans here, are just going to dismiss your arguments, like they’ve been doing for all the rest.
>>7027240
Pretty much. Civil discourse is impossible for them. I don’t know wtf’s wrong with that fanbase. Say you like another ninja game better, and they flip the fuck out.

>> No.7027674

>>7027554
It plays absolutely nothing like God of War, what the hell are you smoking?
>>7027573
>Ninja Gaiden was made to appeal to everyone in just letting you do cool shit any way you want and still win.

You can't have played the game if you feel that way. The very first boss would tear you apart if you just tried flailing around and it only got harder.
Shinobi was so mind-numbing I can't even remember most of it even though I know I beat it.
> almost as if the Xbox's lack of other notable action games has something to do with the fondness
And you just outed yourself. Saying the Xbox had a lack of action games is like saying the PS2 had a lack of JRPGs

>>7027609
No shit nonsensical arguments will get dismissed.

>> No.7027694

>>7027674
>Shinobi was so mind-numbing I can't even remember most of it even though I know I beat it.

You're just repeating the arguments used against Ninja Gaiden, and applying them to Shinobi.

>No shit nonsensical arguments will get dismissed.

There have been valid points. You only dismiss them as nonsensical, because it's more convenient for you than refuting them.

>> No.7027731

>>7027694
>Ninja Gaiden was made to appeal to everyone in just letting you do cool shit any way you want and still win.
Arguments like this are blatantly wrong, it’s like he never played ninja gaiden on anything above ninja dog. Funnily enough it’s not even the worst argument in this thread, there’s anons like >>7024653 claiming that multiple unique weapons in an action game are merely bells and whistles for crying out loud.

>> No.7027851

I like both. I don't even think they're particularly similar overall. Worth comparing, yes, but I still enjoy both games for different reasons.

>> No.7027859

>>7027731
That's like the very definition of bells and whistles, kek.

>> No.7027864

>>7027573
>Ninja Gaiden was made to appeal to everyone in just letting you do cool shit any way you want and still win
t. zoomer who doesn't remember how many fags got filtered by Alma.

>> No.7027882

>>7025424
>The fact that NG 2 and 3 were so poorly received,
Nigger NG2 was well-received, it was just considered slightly inferior to NG1. NG3 was bashed on its original release, Razor's Edge got a better reception.

>> No.7027885

>>7027864
>>7027674
You fuckers even said it yourselves:
>>7021000
> in NG you can replay the game using one of the weapons, and beat it. You can solo the entire game with whatever you want. They are all viable. You can replay the game with the staff, the nunchucks, the hammer, whatever. You can use what you like best and practice with it and beat the entire game with that weapon

Yes, you can do basically whatever cool shit you want and still beat the game. Shinobi needs to be beaten with a certain strategy and a certain playstyle

>> No.7027910

>>7027885
>Yes, you can do basically whatever cool shit you want and still beat the game.
Which still requires effort to do. You can beat the game with the Dragon Sword only if you want, but that still takes careful effort and maneuvering because mindlessly hacking away with it gets you killed.
>Shinobi needs to be beaten with a certain strategy and a certain playstyle
So you can can only beat it one way the developers determined you should. That's boring. Cope, seethe, and so on.

>> No.7027935

>>7027864
Alma's got nothing on the final boss of Shinobi.

>> No.7028002

>>7027910
One way? That’s not exactly true. Shinobi, had unlockable characters.

>> No.7028027

>>7027910
>Boring. Cope. seethe.

Ah, more mimicking of the responses used against Ninja Gaiden. This is like the 10th time you NG guys have just copypastaed the arguments the Shinobi guys are using.

>> No.7028118

>>7027885
>Shinobi needs to be beaten with a certain strategy and a certain playstyle
This is not a good thing for an action game, I can't even think of any genre where that's supposed to be a good thing.

>> No.7028428

>>7027573
a actual puzzle game has replaybility through either a randomized element, like tetris, or 100 levels, like monkeyball or something. shinobi is the sort of puzzle game you play once and then sell to gamestop when you finish the story. If shinobi had an actual randomized element to it, your "puzzle" aspect would have actually been fun.

Nope. You fall in a death pit and have to repeat the same "puzzle" fights over and over again. If shinobi had a open world element or something it could have been fun. maybe a asscreed style where you can pick your engagements or something. You cant railroad a game into a narrow playstyle like that and not have more content to make up for it. thats the issue with it. not that the ideas arent unique.

>> No.7028469
File: 1.94 MB, 320x222, tumblr_o0v2x3umeq1u6jjy9o1_400.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7028428
>>7028118
It's the same as the arcade and Genesis games, it wasn't a negative thing with those so I'm not sure how you see it as a negative thing with this

>> No.7028486

>>7028002
that is a reach considering you have to beat the game first to get that. While that would count in a lot of other games for more, most people with shinobi either stopped half way through, or at the final boss. Might as well have not been included for 9/10 players which is a shame. They didnt even change the models animations for Joe, so he is still in the hotsuma stance. Which shows how much thought they felt they should put into that. its nice they included it but most people who bought that game probably dont even know its there.

>>7028118
if i play devils advocate, a narrow playstyle can work, but the content and experience needs to be at a high and polished level for that to appeal to people. The level designs in shinobi, enemies designs, and jumping mechanics, and quite a lot of other stuff needed to get more work. The floating bat head enemies, floating talismans, and a lot of other things felt like stock assets from a different game. And those things are reused in practically every stage.

If you are going to make a game with an incredibly narrow playstyle, it forces people to basically observe the flaws of your game under a microscope, because there is no distraction from it. This is especially true when you have the bright idea to have instant death pits at the END of the levels, to force people to evaluate your poorly made maps 3 or 4 times in full.

Neither the games play style, or the games enemies or art assets by themselves are what makes the game dull, its the combination of the two. If you are going to make players repeat a 15 minute stage over and over again you better make sure it looks good. Its common sense. I dont know what they were thinking in that regard. Even including one checkpoint in the levels could have helped with that issue. Or they could have just said no checkpoints, but put the time into the levels to make them more fun to play and look at. Its a bad combination.

Old arcade games knew to vary the background art.

>> No.7028519

>>7028469
the old side scrollers are a product of their day. they are a genre with their own limitations. Today sidescrollers give you more tools and abilities to make up for the lack of 3rd dimension. Doesnt mean a barebones sidescroller isnt fun on occassion, but side scrollers in general are niche now, and to maintain interest they typically do give you more to work with than they did before. i think this makes sense and is understandable. the ability to replay those simple 2d stages in a different way or strategy i think is what keeps them interesting. more of a meal than a snack.

The old school 2d games are pretty bland at times because it is all on rails in one direction and you typically have little to work with, but at the time that was also the peak of what gaming had to offer, in not just gameplay but graphics as well. even if a game played like ass, if the graphics were good people tolerated it. just look at the state of things today. Im not saying the old shinobi games were shit. i just am making a point that the graphics of the time were also cutting edge as well.

People could see past that stuff because it was cutting edge. it was still fun, but the flaws are hard to see when there is nothing better than that. Of course people knew certain elements were bullshit, but there wasnt much else.

Old side scrollers like those now are like a good black and white film, they are classics and worth playing but they are a product of their time. and not what you would typically play. it may be a favorite film to you but there is a time and place for it. That is the analogy i would use to describe how it feels looking at those simpler side scrollers today. few people would want to play those on a regular basis.

>> No.7028581

as a show of good faith, as one of the ninja gaiden fans in this thread, i need to get my point across that despite the fact i think shinobi is inferior to ngb, shinobi as a concept with a lot of its ideas, today, could be amazing if it was done right with the correct budget and time. fully fleshed out.

If they reworked the game it could be just as good or better than ngb if they really wanted it to be.

>> No.7028632

>>7028519
There's so much wrong in this post I don't know where to start. How old are you? There's no possible way you're over 20.

>> No.7028640

>>7028632
I mean, if a game that looked and played like Revenge of Shinonbi came out today, you'd say it was shallow and had "indieshit graphics that looked nothing like REAL indie games", so he isn't wrong.

>> No.7028649

>>7028640
>you'd say
No, I wouldn't. You might. Other people might. I would not. Plenty of classic-ish 2D action games get made by indie developers and are well-received by the audience that cares about them. You're right that they're niche, but that's just what it means for trends to change over time. NGB is also niche.

>> No.7028650

>>7028640
>he isn't wrong because I can make baseless assumptions about your response to something that hasn't happened

>> No.7028729

>>7028428
>Puzzles
>Open World

Shinobi is an arcade styled 3D action game, with platforming elements. Having it be open world, wouldn't work. Puzzle mechanics, would throw everything else off.
It's fine to like puzzle and open world games, but your argument here hinges on criticizing Shinobi for not incorporating aspects better suited to other genres of gaming.

>> No.7028772

>>7028729
i just think the game needs something else thrown in, even if all it is was tossed up enemy spawns or something. there is a difference between open world and just branching paths. Just something.

>> No.7029637

As a guy who loved Shinobi and rented it like 3 times before finally buying it, NGB is, without a doubt, a much, MUCH better game. Like everything about it is just much better than Shinobi (except the story, maybe).

>> No.7029643

Sony always wins. Fuck xbots.

>> No.7029846

Okay, why is it the only Ninja Gaiden games I ever hear people talk about are the first NES game, and the first Xbox game?

I'm a fan of both Shinobi and Ninja Gaiden, but this part is strange. I hear Shinobi fans reminisce about the Genesis, arcade games, PS2 game, etc for their series. But when it comes to Ninja Gaiden, people seem to act like those two games are the only ones that exist.

Why is this?

>> No.7029912

>>7029846
NGB was a massive upgrade of an already great game (NG04)
NG2 is about on par with NG04 in terms of quality, content and polish but unlike NG04 it never got an enhanced re-release so while it's still liked it generally isn't remembered as fondly as NGB.
NG3 was a trainwreck because it chased trends that were diametrically opposed to what NG was about. The RE version was nothing but a band-aid on a gaping wound.
Yaiba is to Ninja gaiden what DmC is to DMC. Interestingly enough Inafune was responsible for both Yaiba and DmC to some degree.

>> No.7030037

>>7029912
Okay, got it.
So, the original NES game, the first Xbox game/Black and its first sequel?