[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 58 KB, 550x413, 1089195_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
700668 No.700668 [Reply] [Original]

Yo /vr/!

I got a question: what's the best way to get into collecting for the TG16/PC Engine? I've always thought it was a really neat, semi-obscure console that would be cool to collect for, though I'm honestly not very well versed in the specifics of it (region lockout, Japan only releases/accessories, neat mods, availability and price of games, etc.)

What's the best route to go to ensure that I'm able to enjoy the full library of the TG16/PC Engine? Am I opening up a can of worms here?

>> No.700691

>>700668
>what's the best way to get into collecting for the TG16/PC Engine?

It depends, what do you want to collect. Only card games? CD games? Maybe both?

As for Japanese only releases, most good games on the system were only released in Japan with some few exceptions.

If you really want to enjoy all the library you can try learning some japanese, that will also help you looking for some games online or at least reading the names of the games, since something they appear online and the seller doesnt even know which game they are selling.

>> No.700695
File: 215 KB, 425x539, turboeverdrive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.700703

>>700691
>It depends, what do you want to collect. Only card games? CD games? Maybe both?

Yeah, both! Like I said, I would ideally like to enjoy as much of the library as possible.

>you can try learning some japanese
I'm not sure my white piggu brain could comprehend the moon rune language of the superioru people, but all I'd really have to do is learn some Kanji, right? I hear it's fairly simple, and was used in most games back in the day.

>> No.700710
File: 96 KB, 480x480, 1338772294117.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>700695
Neat, I didn't even know there was an Everdrive for the TG16. Thanks!

>> No.700713

>>700703
>but all I'd really have to do is learn some Kanji, right? I hear it's fairly simple, and was used in most games back in the day.
There are thousands of kanji. You are thinking of katakana/hiragana. Most game titles should be in kana, but I'm sure there are at least a few that are in kanji.

>> No.700716

>>700703
>Yeah, both! Like I said, I would ideally like to enjoy as much of the library as possible.

Well, without entering too much into another language... the PC Engine offers a lot of shooting games, plattformers and arcade games, specially some from Namco that were never released in other consoles, like Wonder Momo.

>I'm not sure my white piggu brain could comprehend the moon rune language of the superioru people, but all I'd really have to do is learn some Kanji, right? I hear it's fairly simple, and was used in most games back in the day.

Kana+kanji, simple games will just require kana since they mostly use just that. Of course learning some gramatic will be useful. This will also help you to save some money, for example, the japanese version of Cosmic Fantasy 2 is just 9-20 dollars, while the american version goes for over 200-400 dollars.

>> No.700717

Getting a Turbo Duo a Turbo Duo R should be your first option. The CD games have no region lock, but the Hucards are, so you'll need some kind of card kit for that if you get a Turbo Duo from your region. The systems are pricey nowadays. expect to pay around $300.

Start with a genre you like. Shmups, RPGs, and side-scrollers were what the PC Engine had in spades. Know that the best games are going to be in Japanese.

Head on over to pcenginefx.com. A great community of fans over there.

>> No.700724

>>700716
Speaking of Momo - how the fuck do I deal with those annoying flying turrets/robots/whateveritis? They are outside of jump kick range and they move around too erratically to hit with jumping hula.

>> No.700736

>>700713
Oh, yeah, got 'em mixed up. All I know is that one/some of them is hard as dicks, and one/some is pretty babby, or so my weaboo friend tells me. I am not exactly an expert on things Japanese.

>>700716
Yeah, I guess some Japanese would be useful to learn for retro game collecting in general. Also, regarding what you said about Cosmic Fantasy 2, do the Japanese releases generally tend to be cheaper on the PC Engine, or is that just one of the exceptions? I'm sure there are plenty of variables that factor in, but I'm just curios.

>>700717
Thanks for the advice. Shmups, RPGs, and side-scrollers are exactly what I'm looking for, though collecting any good games on the console is good by me. Thanks for the website link, too, I'll be sure to check it out.

>> No.700742

>>700736
curious*

>> No.700747

>>700736
Japanese releases almost always tend to be cheaper, regardless of console. This is especially true if the localized version of a game had a limited print run.

>> No.700751

>>700747
Ah, thanks! Just wanted to make sure. In that case, I guess it would really do me some good to learn a bit of Japanese.

>> No.700778

Oh, I should also add, what are some of the must-have games on this console (in general)? Including some of the lesser-known games, too.

>> No.700798

>>700778
Price aside:

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
The Dynastic Hero
Comic Fantasy 1 & 2
Snatcher
Ys Book 1 & 2 (Ys Chronicles on Steam and PSP is better, though)
Wanderers from Ys
Tokimeki Memorial - you may not like dating sims, but this is the first in the series and a great game in its own right
Lords/Gate of Thunder
Blazing Lazers (HuCard)
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari - remake of River City Ransom
Cotton
Military Madness (HuCard)
Popful Mail - (also on Sega CD US)

>> No.700807

>>700778

Hu Cards
Bonk games
Wonder Momo
Star Soldier series
Legend of the Valkyrie
Gekisha Boy

CD Games
Downton Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom CD)
J.B. Harold Murder Club (This one is in english and japanese)
Castlevania Chi no Rondo
Snatcher *
Lords of Thunder
Kiaidan 00
Tengai Makyou, the first one isnt really good.*
Private Eyedol*

Games marked require japanese knowledge.

>> No.700856 [DELETED] 

>>700807
>>700798
Thanks, fellas.

>> No.700861

>>700798
>>700807
Thanks again! I'll be sure to check 'em out.

>> No.701050
File: 16 KB, 600x338, PC-Engine-Duo-R.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One piece of advice about hardware:

I would recommend not getting a Turbo Duo/PCE Duo because of the faulty capacitors, which are going to break sooner or later(if they haven't already) unless you are willing to replace over 20-30 of them.

Getting a PCE Duo-R is the most reliable option, while not requiring system cards to play Super-CD games. There is also the Super CD-ROM2 add-on, which gives you the same compatibility, but has the same capacitor problem plus they are pretty expensive.