[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 13 KB, 316x363, kpkzpet3mm811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6995339 No.6995339 [Reply] [Original]

What are you fags' thoughts or experiences on Nintendo pushing GBA connectivity in the Gamecube era? What games were worth it for connecting? What cool extras could you get with certain games?

And more importantly, Why didn't Nintendo just bundle the connector cable with the GBA or Gamecube?

>> No.6995373

If you're going for legit pokedex completion it's necessary to get Jirachi

>> No.6995376

They bundled it with four sword adventures.

>> No.6995387

I think it was bullshit. Just give me what I paid money for.

>> No.6995398

>>6995376
Talk about retarded. There already nearly two years worth of connect ready games and they wait right up to when people were sick of Nintendo pushing it constantly.

They really should've bundled it with the GBA.

>> No.6995419

it was basically on-disc DLC, plus a handful of the same controller-with-screen gimmicks that made the WiiU such a POS

>> No.6995424

>>6995339
Fucking retarded
4 swords adventures should just be splitscreenable

>> No.6995480

>>6995339
Shit kind of ruined what could have been great multiplayer games by forcing a barrier of entry. FF Crystal Chronicles and ZFSA come to mind.

>> No.6995486

>>6995339
four swords and crystal chronicles were good games, but tetra's trackers not being international was a disgrace. At the same time, you couldn't have possibly played it as-is, you'd have to force names on people or something, and then redub all of the lines too. I say force names because the original just used hiragana, and that's phonetically consistent, but English isn't consistent at all.

>> No.6995539

>>6995339
Used it to make swastika clothes in Animal Crossing. It was worth every penny.

>> No.6995548

>>6995339
Nintendo has always been trying to force the dual screen meme.

>> No.6995559

Tingle Tuner was kinda neat. Also in Animal Crossing you could download the unlockable NES games to the gba and even disconnect the gba and take them portable as long as you didn't turn off the power. I used to do this for Balloon Fight.

>> No.6995582

I got the cable exclusively for Pac-Man VS

>> No.6995638

>>6995339
More interactivity than the vmu with dreamcast.

Tingle could bomb everything. Makes Windwaker two player, not that I had a friend with a gba when I played the game and yes the game is easy to begin with without a helper.

But with the vmu and ps mini thingy it was like digi-pet tier games, like having a tiger mini-game rather than a mini-game within a game for the second player. I imagine it was for little kids to help big brothers. The same shit caught up with the wii with kids pocking to kill enemies if I recall with a recent mario game on the wii-u. Gay, but they know how to make a room of kids happy.

>> No.6996501
File: 111 KB, 600x600, 1515019293597.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had one. Trading Chao between the Sonic Adventure and Advance games was too fun. I don't think I used it for much beyond that and Animal Island. You can use it so you can use your GBA as a controller for the Game Boy Player as well.

Was really pissed that they cut the Tingle Tuner from the Wii U Wind Waker rerelease. Player 2 gets the gamepad and Player 1 uses a regular controller. Duh. I only ever rented Wind Waker for GameCube, so my brother and I never really got to play through the game together that way. Was hoping to get the chance to with my girlfriend when they announced the Wii U version, but as usual with modern Nintendo, you just have to "please understand"

>> No.6997623

>>6995339
Based

>> No.6997680

Four swords adventures was fun as hell, I played ff crystal chronicles but we got stuck early on and couldNt figure out what to do, despite having a guide book, so we never went back to it. Using it for Pokemon coliseum was a must, it was the only way to get celebi in gen 3 games.

Do you really need to ask why it wasn’t bundled with a console? Nintendo is and always has been about hocking any retarded peripheral they could think of. You had to BUY that shit.

>> No.6997685

why does Nintendo constantly try to force gimmicky peripherals?

>> No.6997687
File: 634 KB, 1775x1966, Nintendo_E-Reader.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6997685
forgot pic

>> No.6997712

>>6997685
Because they originated as a toy company. in the 80s they wanted their brand image to communicate that they weren’t a computer company, the NES was more of a toy and was easy to use. They sold all sorts of peripherals like ROB the robot. That’s pretty much what they’ve been doing since. It’s more interactive and kid friendly. And obviously just because it generates more revenue selling more crap to people. I don’t know why you’d expect them to give this shit away for free

>> No.6997837

>>6995486
for years people said it was shown dubbed with the names changed to letters and that there was video of it, but now it's hard to find people mentioning this, and i never saw the video, so it was probably just a rumor.

>> No.6997950

>>6995339
The good thing are the multiplayer games that actually use it, like Four Sword and Pacman VS.. Tingle Tuner was a nice feature but nothing mesmerizing.
But it wasn't very great. It didn't add nothing to Crystal Chronicles which would be even better without it. Many times it was used just to unlock content (fusion suit and og metroid in prime, island in Animal Crossing) and it sucks.

>> No.6998206

Kek me and my wife are 1995 zoombers, i raided her old bedroom once she had a gba, dobkey konga and one of the cords for gamecube to gba unopened... I still got em

>> No.6998315

I liked playing GBA games on the TV with a gba as a controller (I still do this), but the only special things I used it for was unlocking Metroid galleries and the fusion suit in prime

>> No.6998479

>>6997837
I mean it would have been doable. Instead of choosing your own name, you'd choose from pre-made names, and the VA would just say that name instead of programmatically choosing the voice of the name chosen. I bet they just didn't want to bother for some reason.

I feel the same way now that we know that Pokemon Picross was basically done and then never released. You have to ask why it wasn't done, and the answer is probably something sadder to the ardent fan than the potential realities they can imagine.

The good thing is that we have it now, and you don't REALLY need to know moon just to play tetra's trackers. It would help but still, not impossible at all.

>> No.6998486

>>6997687
I sold mine a few years back, and I thought people paid a stupid amount for it, but then I found out mario party-e was stupidly rare apparently. I'm like, fine, game wasn't that good anyway. Appreciate them paying for my everdrives lol

>> No.6998507

>>6998486
>mario party-e
>stupidly rar
shit, you serious? wish i knew where my copy was now... Not like it'd be worth much, my family and I played it more than regular Mario Party desu

>> No.6998574

>>6998507
guess it depends on the day, but read'em and weep, the numbers are pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mario+party-e&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

>> No.7000379

>>6997680
>Do you really need to ask why it wasn’t bundled with a console? Nintendo is and always has been about hocking any retarded peripheral they could think of. You had to BUY that shit.
But if they were so adamant on people using it, they would've bundled it with one of the systems it connects to. I don't see why it couldn't have been bundled with the GBA.

>> No.7000634

Animal Crossing, Pokemon Colosseum, and Pokemon XD. I used the cable all of the time in those games.

>> No.7000725

>>6995339
gba and gc versions of rayman 3, for gba version it unlocks bunch of extra levels you cant access otherwise, and for gc version it unlocks extra minigames

>> No.7000765

>>6997680
>Nintendo is and always has been about hocking any retarded peripheral they could think of. You had to BUY that shit.
I'm pretty sure my gameboy and gameboy color each originally came with a gameboy link cable.

>> No.7000783

>>7000765
I'm still surprised they bundled the wirelesss connector with fire red/ leaf green.