[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 69 KB, 640x646, nba-2k-series.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6976379 No.6976379 [Reply] [Original]

When playing sports games, whats the point of using any team other than highest rated ones?

>> No.6976385

What's the point of playing the game at all? Why not just let the computer take over and simulate everything while you watch? Or pull it up on YouTube?

Because it's a game.

>> No.6976416

>>6976379
Because I ain't a bitch.

>> No.6976426

>>6976416
This. Come here and get bopped by my LA Clippers.

>> No.6976439

>>6976426
I'd say at least pick a team that actually made the playoffs that season. But if you wanna have fun losing with your draft bust Olowokandi, then by all means.

>> No.6976448

>>6976379
Because it's boring.
When I play sports or racing games, I always pick the car or team that will give me a good challenge. I like challenge.

>> No.6976453

I’ve never played a sports game ever. I don’t understand how not works so if someone could help me..

Does it really matter what character you pick? Or team? Is there stats on players that matter during gameplay? Like if I chose an obvious choice like Kenton James, would be have the beat stats and just be a better character to choose in the game? Or is it an equal playing field and it truly matters on skill rather then who has better stats?

>> No.6976467

For nfl 2k, I always picked the best team for myself and the worst for the computer. Hail marys every play. Smoked em every time!! Fuck u cleveland

>> No.6976946

>>6976379
Play it enough and you'll have to lower your numbers so the computer/other player has a chance.

>> No.6976996

It's a good challenge trying to beat a sports game with one of the worst teams, so like trying to beat Italia '90 with China. This can turn into farce though where your players are so slow and bad and you're trying to use your intelligence and all the hacky tricks you know to try to beat the computer.

>> No.6977201

Its different from a fighting game, at least then even a low tier character might have a style of play that makes him fun for the player, but in sports games they all do virtually the same thing just better or worse.

>> No.6977215

>>6976379
This applies to all genres, retro or modern. It's called not being a meta bitch or tier chart bitch. Play what you want, play what you like and play well.

>> No.6977301

>>6976379
You gotta play as your shitty home team. Everybody likes an underdog story.

>> No.6978669
File: 2.08 MB, 2592x1944, Not_sarcastiball.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6976379
Sometimes I use it as a balancing method. For example, when playing against my cousins who did not play video games as much as I did, on the Playstation version of NBA Jam TE, I would choose the rookies team and stick with Dare and his 0 ratings for everything (like 3pt shot) though the game while she would choose a team like the Charlotte Hornets which has 2 players with very high stats in the 8s and 9s (Johnson, Mourning) and 1 tiny player (Bogues) allowed to substitute. It mildly tipped the balance in her favor a bit, but I'd still tend to win as I tend to increase her teams injury rating more than she would injure Dare. I could still get great open 3s and plenty of second chance shots such that I can overcome the balance deficit. We still laugh at it as it was fun with a somewhat balanced match rather than a fully dominated game session.

>>6977201
I tend to main mid-tier fighting game characters, like SF's dictator, because they fit my style and personality more. I am unhappy I have to work so much harder for wins than those who use the top-tier characters like Ken, but the character suits me more. Maybe in sports games, some could enjoy a dominating defense over a team with strong offense, a lean towards run over pass, southpaw over orthodox, etc. as that suits the player more.

>> No.6978715

in "soccer" games i have more fun with the slower teams, i have to play carefully and it feels more realistic. plus i like to make a small team win, it is satisfying.
but when i played online, i realized most people thought like you OP and it's sad

>> No.6978718

>>6978715
Never forget the PES master league default players. lol

>> No.6980017

>>6976379
SEGA, GET THOSE NIGGERS OFF YOUR COVER ART!