[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 135 KB, 512x448, 12958328482.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
696849 No.696849 [Reply] [Original]

Now I understand the hoopla for rpgs. After the gnawing experience of early DQ and FF games I stumble upon titles like pic related and Secret of Evermore. Which are just beautiful and loads of fun. It seems to me all the rpgs that I've played that I disliked were turn based. Most of them had a bunch of grinding and in general the approach of turn base is just much less interactive and boring.

What does /vr/ think about action rpgs vs turn based rpgs?

>> No.696873

1st of those are JRPGs
Secondly, I was never sure what an Action-RPG was.

Like Zelda?

>> No.696890

>>696873
Zelda is an action-adventure and not an RPG.

>> No.696896

>>696890
Star Ocean?

>> No.696901

>>696873

zelda, secret of mana, illusion of gaia/terranigma/soul blazer, souls games, TES games.

i like both equally in the end i guess, but the best of "action-RPGs" are more appealing to me. turn-based games (especially JRPGs with random battles) can be great but that shit gets fucking annoying. the souls games are the perfect mix for me personally (sorry for not retro on that front).

>> No.696947

>>696849
Tales of Phantasia isn't much better than DQ/FF in this respect though. Most of the "interactivity" in battles is that you mash the A button to fight instead of pressing it once per character per turn.

>> No.697034

>>696901

Zelda is not an RPG. Well, maybe Zelda II.

I'm fine with turnbased as long as it requires/allows some actual tactics. Nothing kills my enjoyment as quick as random encounters where I'll just mash attack to win.
I personally prefer turnbased where you can move around your characters to take advantage of positioning, range and the like. More Fallout than Final Fantasy.

If you want an rpg with good combat that is more action oriented while still allowing tactical decisions, try out the Infinity engine games. Baldur's Gate is pretty sweet, especially 2.

>> No.697050
File: 500 KB, 500x381, 1353090441460.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always thought action RPG's were just bland. They weren't as good as action games nor did they usually have as many skills as turn based RPG's.

They are just so mind-numbingly repetitive. Sure in action games all you are doing is shooting guys or punching them, but it only lasts for thirty to sixty minutes and they tend to keep it as fresh as they can within that time span and not over welcome their stay.

>> No.697072
File: 91 KB, 385x351, Untitled-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>696849
>Boggle

>> No.697083
File: 3 KB, 185x175, rufio jizzing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tales of Phantasia is one of the most annoyingly grind-laden games in the circle of "good" 16-bit rpgs.

It's not even that long of a game, you just have to keep endlessly mashing "swing" and getting stronger for the next just-complicated-enough-to-need-mapping dungeon. It's an extremely amazing game, but I just wish somebody would make a rebalance patch of something.

Honestly OP, I don't understand how you can complain about tedium of early final fantasy, and then praise ToP. It's like saying Pharaoh Sanders is terrible but Tomasz Stanko is the greatest musician who ever lived.

>> No.697105

>>697083
You can just play on easy modo and go through the entire game without grinding.

>> No.697137

I generally prefer turn-based RPGs. At the lowest levels, they become puzzle games.

>> No.697213

I do love a good turn based RPG where you are challenged and thinking ahead to what the AI is going to do and based on your characters speed you will need to come up with a strategy for your attacks and spells. The only thing in traditional turn based games that kills me is random battles in dungeons. On the main map it's okay but in dungeons it's so easy to lose your place. This is why Lufia 2 is my favourite turn based RPG game.

>> No.697234

>>697105
i don't remember there being a difficulty setting...

is that only on the GBA one?

>> No.697231

>>697213
>On the main map it's okay
I like it the other way around. Getting stopped by low level random encounters while im travelling pisses me off.

>> No.697236

>>697234
There is one in the PSX version at least.

>> No.700004

If the game uses parties then I prefer turn based. I don't like AI controlled characters.