[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 4 KB, 230x163, retroconsoleswiki.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
694016 No.694016 [Reply] [Original]

http://retroconsoles.wikia.com

A few days ago, I made a thread about an idea I had for a website about repairing and modding retro game consoles, and after some suggested starting a free wiki, Retro Consoles Wiki was born. In addition to guides on repairs and mods, the goal is to collect detailed information on the hardware of each console, including high-res motherboard scans, identification of the chips, and links to their documentation or even pages on the wiki about them. Other topics such as controller mods, flashcarts, modchips, homebrew programming information, and anything else like that will be a part of it as well.

Right now, the wiki is at a very early stage with only 4 pages, all written by me, and all far from complete. So far I've only written a couple of hardware-related articles, but I think they give an idea of what I'm going for:
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Hardware
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Cartridge

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

-Write an article (obviously)

-I can understand not wanting to jump in and start contributing to some nubile, ambitious project that could be dead by tomorrow, so I just ask that if you think you could use or contribute to something like this in the future that you bookmark it and check back later.

-I need quality motherboard pictures for all retro consoles! Please help me track them down. Ideally you should be able to read the text on the chips and the board itself.

-If in the future you perform a repair for which information was difficult to find, please consider writing a brief article about the problem. This applies to anyone whose ever relied on info from a forum post dated before 2005.

-Please give me design advice! I don't know anything about choosing pleasing color schemes or layouts, and so I would like your input on how the wiki should look and what kind of navigation features there should be.

I'll appreciate any feedback you can give me!

>> No.694820
File: 1.48 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where are the system board photos coming from? I'm loathe to take my systems apart even when necessary, and since I live in the dark, my photos are always blurry and/or grainy. I don't want to make a lightbox, and my portable lighting options are minimal and/or shit.

I DO have a pretty radical scanner, a BlackBerry Z10, a Sony Mavica MVC-FD200, and a massive collection, buuuut like I said, shit in the way of lamps, and nowhere in my house is suitable for taking studio-quality photos.

>> No.694838

Very cool, OP. I'll bookmark this for sure. Hope it comes along.

>> No.694842

>>694820
You know lamps are pretty cheap right?

>> No.694853

>>694842
No shit, but to make a proper lightbox, you need more than cheapass desk/table lamps.

>> No.694896

>>694820
All the Genesis motherboard photos on the wiki right now came from Google and Wikipedia, and there's more to be found there for other consoles. I've been trying to find a good setup to take pics of boards I have, but I've also run into lighting issues. However, with one desk lamp and a steady camera I can take clear pictures of small circuit boards easily, so that's an option for people with bad camera setups who wanna help. Speaking of which, I'm also looking for board pics of all controllers and accessories.

>> No.694912

This is a great idea. Originally wanted to do this in the Emu Gen wiki, have a bunch of technical details and links to hardware documentation, so that way anyone starting out on an emu project could easily find info, but I don't really know too much about that myself so..
As for the layout, seeing as it's really focused on each console, I'd just put links to each console on the front page (which you should unlock, nobody's really gonna vandalize it) like:

Nintendo <-Heading 2
NES/Famicon <-Heading 3
SNES/Super Famicon <-etc.
SEGA
SG-1000

And then from branch out into more detail like you're doing, Genesis page is like in intro to Genesis that links out to Gen hardware, cartridges, modding, etc.

>> No.694914

>>694896
/toy/ and probably /po/ have good guides on how to make lightboxes, but the thing people forget is that you need an almost painful level of light to properly illuminate a subject in one. You can make the box with a cardboard box and white paper, and use rice paper or tissue paper to diffuse the light, which will be shining in directly from the sides and top. That's fine for Transformers, but taking a top-down photo of a motherboard without getting light reflected directly into the camera is the hard part.

Well, until we get that part hammered out, we should probably just set up a content request list, so people can pick something to do, rather than stare at the daunting void outside of the Genesis hardware section.

>> No.694919
File: 11 KB, 800x600, meh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>694912
Similar to my original proposal for the hierarchy.

>> No.695029

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2008/11/25/new-kit-fuzebox-an-open-source-8-bit-game-console/

>> No.695049

>>694912
>unlock the front page, add links
Okay, I've done that.

>>694914
>content request list
Good idea, I've made a page where people can make requests:
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Requests

And cool, I see someone is starting to give this thing some bones. Thanks, I appreciate it!

>> No.695201

>>695049
Groovy. I'd start thinking up stuff for the list, but MerchanTube is pissing me off. This has sufficiently motivated me to pirate every goddamn thing I am even casually curious about.

>> No.695225

>>694016
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Game_Console

>> No.695249

Wikia a shit, OP.

If you'd like, I could host a Mediawiki wiki.

>> No.695261
File: 13 KB, 300x64, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>695249
OP while the idea is good... there are better wiki's about it already

http://wiki.megadrive.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

>> No.695270
File: 24 KB, 300x300, SVHS plug to composite RCA socket adapter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just a tip, If you are modding any consoles for better video output. Instead of adding a composite output, just use S-video then use one of these adapters for composite.

Makes the job so much easier not having to wire and drill for the extra input.

>> No.696223

>>695225
I can't believe I haven't seen that website before. It's pretty close to what I'm going for, but it looks like it is only concerned about repairs, and so I think RCW will still have something new to offer. I will however steal the idea to have "teardown" pages that just explain how to completely disassemble a console.

>>695249
>Mediawiki
Maybe, I don't know too much about wiki hosts. What does it have over Wikia? My biggest concern is image storage capacity and bandwidth allowances.

>>695261
Nice wiki, but it's only about one console.

I'll put up another article or two tonight. I recently did some work on a 3DO, so I'll probably put up some stuff about that next.

>> No.696336

>>695270

Legit. Literally all there is to composite is splicing chroma and luma signals onto the same wire.

>> No.696587

My N64 power connector acts up and the console doesn't run games unless i jiggle the connector and turn it off and on a bunch, any suggestions?

>> No.696704

>>696587
Disassemble the system and check the power connector to see if it has a loose connection, or broken solder. This is the typical cause of "won't turn on most of the time".

Alternately, test with another N64 to see if it's your AC adapter. It's a good idea to have two of every system if you plan on repairing any. One should be used as a control system. First rule of technical troubleshooting is to replace suspected bad with known good.

>> No.696723

>>695270
What about the chroma and lumi signals shorting each other when the cable isn't connected? Nothing to worry about or do I have to be extra careful not to let the adapter inside?

>> No.696740

Will do, just curious if it would be the console or the actual power connector.

>> No.696790

>>696740
Entirely possible. If it's feeding the system the wrong voltage, anything can happen.

>> No.696798

>>696587
Try measuring the voltage with a multimeter if you have one
I had 2 adapters die on me for no reason.

>> No.696837

>>696790
It should be the right voltage, but we'll see.

>>696798
I think my father might have one, I'll see what I can do.

>> No.696964

>>696837
You can get digital multimeters DIRT cheap online. Not high quality ones, but if you don't need insanely accurate readings, you'll be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=dmm&_sop=15

>> No.697134

>>696964
Thanks, was playing a game.

>> No.697327

Didn't feel like making a new thread, What's the best s-video cable to buy for snes/ n64? Also, did they make one for genesis?

>> No.697374

>>697327
SNES, N64, and Genesis all have s-video cables, and pretty much any you find on ebay will do. Generally the only thing to worry about with s-video is keeping the cable length short. Luckily the SNES, N64 both use the same a/v connector so you only need one cord for those to share.

>> No.697628

Added the basic framework for Nintendo, basically just links to pages not yet created and info copied from wikipedia, but it's a start.

>> No.698280
File: 1.20 MB, 2140x1675, 3DO_FZ10_mobo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>697628
Nice, it looks good so far. The Yakuman page is a nice touch.

On the topic of taking photos of system boards, I took this pic of a 3DO FZ-10's motherboard with a desk lamp, an ipad, some printer paper, and a stack of books. It's not perfect, but most of the text is legible, and that's all I'm really looking for.

>> No.698342 [DELETED] 

Hey guys, looking to get a soldering iron. Coming across too many Pokémon games with dead batteries; rather fix them semi-professionally over using electrical tape to hold them in. Any suggested brands/models? Should I get a pencil solder or a station solder?

>> No.698383

>>694820
That's the same model of Mavica I have. That thing has bitchin' macro, but I've noticed that it doesn't handle dark situations very well. I always have to haul my stuff out back if I want to take a clean picture of it.

It's amazing how good of pictures it takes for a floppy camera.

>> No.699291

You guys might wanna take a look here

http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive_PCB_revisions

>> No.699315

I don't have anything to contribute, but just wanted to bump because this is a great idea

>> No.699323

>>699315
You can contribute to the wikia if you know your way around wikis.

>> No.699360
File: 879 KB, 1600x1200, DSC00147.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>698383
I have a SIXTEEN MEGABYTE memory stick in it now, so I can take more than four hyper-compressed photos.

>> No.699531

>>694016
The wikia fixed-width is pretty limited for tables and photos for this ambitious project. You might want to consider alternatives.

>> No.699689

OP here. Here's my first attempt at some OC on the wiki: http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Panasonic_3DO_FZ-10_Teardown
It's just a guide to taking apart a 3DO FZ-10. I figured I'd do it as a warmup to a more useful guide about lubricating the rails the lens assembly rests on. I'll probably make some more teardowns soon since they're easy, so if anyone has any requests let me know. If you're looking for something obscure other than the 3DO FZ-10, I have two Colecovision (different motherboards) and an Atari 2600, which I think is a 2600 Jr. model. I also have most of the regular consoles, so just let me know what you're looking for.

>>699531
Wikia does have its limitations, but I think it'll do for now at this early stage. If this wiki gains some popularity and becomes a useful resource for people, then I plan to move everything to my own website to liberate everyone of the ads and limitations. Unfortunately at the moment I know more about repairing old consoles than I do about running a website, so this period is also a little bit of an introduction to that.

>> No.699767

>>699689
Very nice guide for the FZ-10.

The photos are good, but may look better (without shadows or overexposure from the desklamp) in natural light. Don't suppose you can take them next to a window or even outside on a support and photograph them.

I'm a rookie in electronics but know more about websites.

>> No.699808

OP I applaud your ambition and will be glad to help out any way I can. Pictures? Not really my thing. But when I get a bit of free time I'll be glad to write out some articles. In the meantime I'd recommend setting up your own forum for this project. /vr/ is great and all but to be able to have extended discussions with people will be immensely helpful

>> No.699820

>>699808
Not OP but i don't think that is feasible for the moment. We don't even have most console hardware yet.

>> No.699945

>>696723

Doesn't do any harm. They're both high signals, so no significant potential across them.

Besides, every console with composite or RF out shorts them together inside the console anyway.

>> No.699974
File: 11 KB, 297x223, svideo fake cable.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>697374
>pretty much any you find on ebay will do

Not so.

Most of the cheap AV cables with svideo on ebay are wired improperly.

Especially any that feature both svideo and composite leads. I recently bought one for my SNES that had no luma signal. The description was for a proper svideo-only cable too, so I filed and got my money back.

What they had done was put composite on the SVHS connector's luma pin to avoid running another pin to the SNES.

The result is that you do get a picture on svideo, but it's there's a shitton of interference that makes it look worse than the composite output.

I had to crack open the AV connector, desolder the composite pin, move it to the luma position and re-solder the wire.

The composite out was now black & white since it was carrying luma only, so I just cut that lead right off and turned it into a dedicated svideo cable.

Worked fine after that but I'd have been stuck if I were shy about modifying shit that displeases me.

>> No.700067

Hey OP, was /diy/ useful in the end?

>> No.700286

I browse /gd/ and I could help out with a little logo to get you started.

What would you like to see in it?

>> No.700319

>>694016
Wikia? Disgusting.
If you've got the dosh ready (~$150) you can get hostgator to host it for you. Then you can run the standard wikipedia-style paage and put up a donate link on the side bar. Kinda like what /g/ did.

>> No.700342

uh, is a SNES 2 easy to repair? I think this is the second one that's died on me. And I don't know what to do here really.

>> No.700373

Couldn't find this info on the wiki but is there a list of what kind of batteries can be used to replace GBA carts' internal batteries?

I know that CR1616 and cr2016 are popular among the net but some also use cr2025s.

Could I use a cr2032? Those are cheaper where I am from and they are 3V too.

>> No.700427

OP (and others), if you'd like, we can discuss setting up a /vr/ wiki (Wikimedia), I'd be willing to pay for hosting.

>> No.700929

>>699767
I agree that natural light would work better, but I live in a small apartment and neither of my windows gets much light. I may try to find another lamp so I can at least light things from two sides or set something up under the bright light in my kitchen. I'll do some experimenting.

>>699808
I would like to have a forum set up at some point, hopefully soon, but as >>699820 said, it's probably a little early to worry about that since RCW is still getting on its feet. There's also the issue of finding a place to host the forum.

>>700067
I forgot to ask /diy/, thanks for reminding me. I'll make a thread there later today.

>>700319
That sounds ideal, but I can't really afford to start throwing a ton of money at this project right now, and I'd need to read up on how to manage all that. It's an option, though.

>>700427
I'm interested in this idea. I don't foresee Wikia being the permanent home for this site, and so it would be best to move to a better location sooner rather than later. How much would hosting be? I wouldn't want you to have to pay for all of it. Shoot me an email and let's discuss it.

>> No.700948

>>700286
My bad, overlooked this in my last reply. Some kind of logo would be great to have. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something with the name in some retro looking font. Anyone is welcome to throw out ideas for this.

>> No.700959

Fuck everybody shouting out alternate hosting options this late in the goddamn game, and to hell with paying for hosting until it is needed. Overambition leads to failure.

>> No.701032 [DELETED] 

>>700959
I agree. Just keep it on wikia for the time being and get real hosting when you start to need it.

Here's the logo I put together. Under the NES colour palette you see the font Apple Kid Regular from Earthbound. Quite fitting, I thought.

>> No.701036
File: 4 KB, 1083x333, retroconsoleswiki.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>700959
I agree. Just keep it on wikia for the time being and get real hosting when you start to need it.

Here's the logo I put together. Under the NES colour palette you see the font Apple Kid Regular from Earthbound. Quite fitting, I thought.

>> No.701310

>>700959
>this late in the game

there's like a dozen pages, chill

>> No.701568

>>701036
Awesome, that's perfect! It's on the wiki now. I gave you credit under the name you posted it with, so if you want it to be something different let me know.

I've been thinking about moving the website to a different host, and for now I tend to agree with the sentiment that it's too much too soon. The idea for the wiki isn't even a week old yet, and so for now let's stick with Wikia and see if people are still interested in a month.

By the way, when moving a wiki like this, is there a simple way to copy everything over or do you have to go page by page?

>> No.701891

>>701568
How about if there's a more media-intensive wiki in the future, just call it Super Retro Consoles Wiki, and keep the original up (and up to date as possible).

>> No.702959

>>701891
>media-intensive wiki
i fail to see what good will do to spam videos all over it

>> No.703095

>>702959
High-resolution how-to videos for mods, repairs, and other stuff. Youtube likes to randomly kill accounts, and modern Sega is a pack of faggots. Nintendo, too.

>> No.703134

>>703095
It's a bit too early for it. Almost nobody knows this wiki outside of /vr/ or if they search by some exact terms which show up on Google. For now more raw content is needed.

>> No.703178

>>700373

The cartridge doesn't particularly care what kind of battery it has, as long as it's 3V.

What you need to worry about is whether the larger battery will fit.

>> No.703418

>>703134
Knowing the intended shape helps fill in the blanks.

I recorded a short video on cleaning controllers that my fucking capture card is CHOKING on, making the video stutter and skip constantly. I had to use VHS, because I don't have a digital video camera beyond my phone, and it has no tripod mount because duh. Barf. I'll have to think of another way to contribute.

>> No.703432

>>703418
A video shot in VHS equivalent would add to the retro-ness though hehehe

>> No.703551
File: 408 KB, 1874x768, svideo bad cable interference.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>699974

>> No.703567
File: 205 KB, 1761x972, SNES AV connector - top pins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703551

>> No.703568
File: 154 KB, 1834x898, SNES AV connector - bottom pins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703567

>> No.703570
File: 277 KB, 1110x1064, composite on luma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703568

>> No.703575

>>703551
cheap bastards

>> No.703602

>>694853
You can use a sheet. It's a wiki, not a real encyclopedia. But that's neither here nor there.

If you're seriously considering taking pictures of boards, the scanner would work pretty damn well actually, assuming you can scan with it open.

>> No.703609

>>703432
Yes, but imagine this being the second-counter of the video.

1 2 3 4 234 5 4 5 7 67 8 9 10 12 8910 11 14 12 13 15

Un-fucking watchable.

>> No.704284

bumpity bump

>> No.704810

Someone already did this... http://console5.com/wiki/Console5_Tech_Wiki

>> No.704834

>>704810
Damn, they even got schematics and sell repair kits.

/wikia

>> No.705007

>>704810
I actually came across that wiki for the first time shortly after starting work on RCW. It's a great resource and is right along the lines of what I want to do, and I almost gave up on the project when I found it. However, I think RCW still has a broader scope than that wiki and in time will exceed it in content. This is actually the reason I started with a 3DO guide - they don't have any info on it. Of course, they do have the advantage of selling parts, but then the wiki is managed by an online store, and I want RCW instead to be more community-focused eventually. Besides, they haven't updated since September.

Shit like this is why I'm sticking with Wikia for now.

>>703551
That's good to know. It should go on the wiki.

>>703095
I like this as an eventual idea. It only seems natural to have videos eventually.

>> No.705057

>>705007
>I like this as an eventual idea. It only seems natural to have videos eventually.
It'll be a simple way to stand out and provide useful information, as most of the stuff available is low resolution, choppy, blurry video from 2007 or so, or some nasal 16 year old talking incessantly while fucking up a NES10-disabling "mod".

>> No.706045

>>700342
Consoles that take cartridges usually die because their pint connector died. It's probably the easiest part to fix. Really though it depends on what done broked.

>> No.706084

>>706045
pin* I can't brain.

I cracked open an SNES game to pop in a flash cart with. I may or may not have something to contribute at some point...

>> No.706137

>>694016
I have a Sega Genesis Model 2, Model 1, and a PS1, I could take apart and photograph if people want, the Model 1 isnt working so I'd love for someone to write some easy solutions for model 1's if possible.

>> No.706257

>>706137
That would be great. For the Genesises (Genesii?), check http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Hardware to see if we have your motherboard revisions yet or if you think you could take a better picture. We've almost got a complete set. What model Playstation is it? I only have pics of SCPH-1001 and SCPH-9001 so far, although the 1001 pic could be better.

What's wrong with the model 1?

>> No.706301
File: 29 KB, 350x274, sharp_pc-7000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>694016
I'd like to be able to contribute if possible. I don't really have a technical knowledge, but I have a bunch of consoles which I know how to take apart, a backyard with plenty of natural light, and I have a friend with a really nice camera.

If you want pictures of any of the following systems just send me an email and I'll try my best to get some good photos of the insides:
Atari Video Pinball
Atari 2600 six switch
Sears Tele-Games heavy sixer
Intellivision
Fairchild Channel F
Sega Genesis (model one and two)
SNES
N64

I also have the following systems, but have never opened them, so I can't say with any surety that I'd be able to open them up and take pictures of everything without completely fucking it up:
Sega CD (model one)
Sega Saturn
3DO FZ-1
Dreamcast

I also have an Atari 520STfm computer, a Commodore 64, and a Sharp PC-7200 computer if you'd want some pictures of those taken as well.

If you're interested just send me an email. I don't check this account very often, though, so I might not get back to you immediately.

>> No.706313

>>706301
Saturns and Dreamcasts open up and go back together easy-peasy, I know that from experience.

>> No.706318

>>706313
I'm not surprised. From my experience so far Sega systems have by far been the easiest to open.

>> No.706461

>>706301
Thanks a lot, I sent you an email with a list. You have a lot nice stuff. I'm particularly interested in the more obscure consoles like the channel F and FZ-1. The computers would be a nice addition as well.

>> No.706532

>>706461
Yeah, I'm hoping I can get the Channel F fixed one of these days. It only displays a green screen, which is probably an easy fix, but I just haven't taken the time to look into it because I have so many other things I'm working on. I'm thinking contributing to this project will give me the kick start I need to get going on them.

I checked my email and I haven't gotten anything yet. I'm not sure if there is a sizable delay between sending and delivery, but you might want to check to make sure you typed it in right (that period in there is easy to overlook).

tnk.adventureclub@gmail.com

>> No.706612

>>706532
My bad, I totally missed the tnk part. I sent it again. If you figure out how to fix the Channel F, you should post about that too.

>> No.706627

>>706612
Got it. I definitely will. I just had my last day of school today, so now I have more time to go about diagnosing and fixing my consoles.

I'll be sure to take photos and document everything along the way.

>> No.706665

>>706627
What else do you have that's broken?

>> No.706736

>>706665
Sega CD doesn't turn on. I think it's a blown fuse. I bought the parts I need, I just to sit down and do it now.

I don't know if the Saturn works because I don't have the power supply yet. I'm waiting on a guy from Atariage to send one.

The paddle in the Video Pinball is jittery. I replaced the pot, but it still jitters more than I like, so I'm going to open it up again and see if I can't smooth it out a bit.

I have a SNES with a broken part. It's that stupid plastic nib in the AC port. Mine has broken off. I'm going to have to replace the whole back plate there to fix it. I have a junk SNES I saved for parts, so I'm going to get the part from there.

The Sharp PC-7200 isn't quite working. I'm going to have to test to see if it's the internal floppy drive (which I expect it is) and see if I can either replace it or rig it so that I can hook up an external floppy drive.

That's all I can think of gamewise. I have some other pieces of technology I'm trying to repair as well. A CED player, a Laserdisc player, and a Beta VCR in particular, as well as a couple other small items.

>> No.706779
File: 1.32 MB, 2592x1944, DSCN7217.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does this have anything about repairing Famiclones?

I seriously need to get mine fixed, I think something went wrong inside it.

>> No.706959
File: 270 B, 16x16, 4chan_famicon_favicon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got bored and made a favicon for it, using the famicon's color scheme.

>> No.706974

I'm going to maintain the neo geo section.

>> No.707157 [DELETED] 

>>706736
That's quite a backlog. Let us know if you manage to fix any of that. What's the situation with the Saturn though? Do you mean the internal board? I have a model 2 Saturn, and it just uses one of those generic square-and-circle AC cords.

>>706779
Not yet, but it should.

>>706959
Thanks, I added it to the wiki. I think. It says I did, but for some reason I can't get Firefox to reload the icon, so could someone confirm this for me?

>>706974
Good, because I know nothing about it sadly.

>> No.707163

http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/3DO_FZ-10_Repair_-_Lubricate_the_Laser_Sled

I just finished the first repair article on the wiki. It needs some more work, but as it stands it is a complete guide. I'm not sure what repair I'll do next.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is having wiki articles not just for the repairs themselves but for diagnosing a general problem, like an article about what to do if your 3DO won't read games and how you go about determining the cause of the problem. Maybe that's what I'll do next.

>>706736
That's quite a backlog. Let us know if you manage to fix any of that. What's the situation with the Saturn though? Do you mean the internal board? I have a model 2 Saturn, and it just uses one of those generic square-and-circle AC cords.

>>706779
Not yet, but it should.

>>706959
Thanks, I added it to the wiki. I think. It says I did, but for some reason I can't get Firefox to reload the icon, so could someone confirm this for me?

>>706974
Good, because I know nothing about it sadly.

>> No.707187

>>707163
My mistake. I'm actually waiting for a Saturn AV cable to arrive. It powers on, so I have high hopes.

>> No.707336

>>707157
>Thanks, I added it to the wiki. I think. It says I did, but for some reason I can't get Firefox to reload the icon, so could someone confirm this for me?
It's up, hit Ctrl+F5, or restart FF.

>> No.707951

bump

>> No.708090

>>707163
Thank you. I have an FZ-10, and I wasn't wanting to do any hardcore gameplaying on it without seeing what needs to be poked at first.

>>706974
If I bother cracking the shell on my AES to determine which board revision I have (and maybe s-video and/or RGB modding it), I may be of some use.

I have DAMN NEAR every console and handheld released in the US through 2007, not counting some of the more strange and exotic options. My problem is having both the time to do something, and also not being in a shitty mood, and these are often mutually exclusive states for me.

>> No.710961

bumpsky

>> No.711356

Guy who made the flashcart image here.

Do you guys want to make a choice on whether or not to include newer consoles? Because I can provide plenty of info regarding softmods and hardmods.

>> No.711425

I wrote a small article on the Expansion Pak. Nothing major, more or less something for people to edit later.

>> No.711492

>>711356
>newer consoles
Go for it, no reason to be excludin'

>> No.711503

>>711492
On that note, I'm currently helping a friend fix his Retron 3. If we can get it to work I could probably put something up about how we did the fix. Might as well include those things too, eh?

>> No.711603
File: 1.35 MB, 1400x3000, flashychips.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>711492
Works for me, I just didn't want to do something and have everyone pissed at me.

Regardless I will work from earlier generations forward for as much as I know. I have plenty of knowledge I can contribute and hopefully convey in an easy to understand way.

I should have a lot of free time coming up.

As always, criticism is welcomed, please direct all comments, questions, suggestions and concerns to the flashcart page on the wiki.

>> No.711685

>>711503
As much as I dislike them and would not use them personally, yes they should get a section.

>> No.711743

>>711603
A few suggestions for additions

>USB Smart Card 32M for Game Boy/Color with Mottzilla's fixes and menu http://thegaminguniverse.org/ninjagaiden4/mottzilla/smartcard.html
>Flash Boy Plus for Virtual Boy http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4155&forum=7
>Divide 2k11 for ZX Spectrum http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=25
>Fairchild Channel F Multicart http://atariage.com/forums/topic/149932-fs-fairchild-system-channel-f-multi-cart-pre-order-now/

>> No.711770

>>711603
DC-SD is shit because of the bottleneck of Serial port.I can't wait for a way to play DC games off of a External HDD.

>> No.711878

>>711503
That definitely belongs. Is there a general term for these remake systems?

>>711603
Feel free to do what you want with what's already written on the flashcart page. I just threw it on there to have some text for the page, but I don't know what I'm talking about flashcarts so I'll leave that to you.

>> No.711896 [DELETED] 

>>711743
Was going to make a seperate handheld image due to space concerns, afterwards I may combine them and add more consoles. It really depends for me, I mean I don't want a fucking 5000x8000 pixel image this early on, and I like the sizing of this at the moment so I'm not ready to tweak it yet. I want to cover all possible consoles eventually but right now it's not realistic so I'm trying to cover consoles many people know and are comfortable with.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/ This is a great list to work off of until that. In fact I'll add it to the flashcart page in a few minutes.

>>711770
Yeah, I know, I'm slightly hyped for it too. Slightly only because it's going to be awhile before we see some serious progress.

>>711878
Thanks for creating the page for it, I usually don't dabble in wiki stuff, though you'll know it's me by the username on the wiki matched the image name, it's more for convenience of keeping track of shit

>> No.711905

>>711743
Was going to make a seperate handheld image due to space concerns, afterwards I may combine them and add more consoles. It really depends for me, I mean I don't want a fucking 5000x8000 pixel image this early on, and I like the sizing of this at the moment so I'm not ready to tweak it yet. I want to cover all possible consoles eventually but right now it's not realistic so I'm trying to cover consoles many people know and are comfortable with.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/ This is a great list to work off of until that. In fact I'll add it to the flashcart page in a few minutes.

>>711770
Yeah, I know, I'm slightly hyped for it too. Slightly only because it's going to be awhile before we see some serious progress.

>>711878
Thanks for creating the page for it, I usually don't dabble in wiki stuff, though you'll know it's me by the username on the wiki matches the image name, it's more for convenience of keeping track of shit

_

Any specific requests for what I should go into detail for first for the wiki?

>> No.711927

>>711878
There's no general name for them that I can think of, but I usually just refer to them as 'clones' if they only play games from one system, and 'multi-systems' if they play multiple systems. Not very creative names, I know.

>> No.711960

>>711905
I added a link to the flashcart page on the front page.

Do you think instead of a flashcart page there should be just one page for both flashcarts and modchips? I think it would make sense since each console has one or the other, but you know more about this so I'll let you decide.

>>711927
"Clone" is appropriate. For now I'll use that as the blanket term for all that. I made a stub for it and linked to it from the front page.

>> No.711973

>>711960
I think both would be fine, though I'm still deciding on whether or not both should be included in the title to avoid confusion.

I generally group them though, I'dd add more shit but I'm still trying to figure this shit out, might watch a few videos to see if I can start making this look pretty.

>> No.711980

>>711960
>>711973
Also, I can't see any of my posts in the chat.

Wonderful.

>> No.712034
File: 7 KB, 200x53, 3DO_logo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

3DO logo.

>> No.712753
File: 802 KB, 1920x1080, DSC00501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MM3 modchip.

>> No.714176

Hey guys, I'm checking on the wiki every now and then and I must say you're doing a marvelous job. It's fan-fucking-tastic, seriously. Thank you, and sorry for not being able to help. I'm extrememly busy at the moment. I'll try and help (my knowledge on these subjects isn't much) in about a month.

Keep it up, it's awesome. And thanks again.

>> No.714184

you need to add some contrast to the company select screen ASAP. I can't even see the Sony button on my screen.

>> No.714187

I don't know much about the technical side of things, but I would be happy to add some pictures of the consoles themselves. The pages look quite bland without images!

>> No.714195

I've given up on getting a NES for a reasonable price here in australia and am considering buying a Famicom from japan (i can get one in decent condition for $40 including postage) and adding AV jacks to it.

Anyone have a tutorial for it?

I usually use Damomonsters but he doesnt have a tut for Famicom.

>> No.714743
File: 2.34 MB, 1356x2200, Top of board [splice] [jpeg].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Serving as a 'bump'. Here's a Atari Video Pinball board. We should have something up on the console very soon.

I'll have a better picture after I get a hold on my friend's t3i.

>> No.714814

OP, I'll get to taking apart and scanning my dreamcast.

I am very much on board with this project. I've always been interested in modding consoles. and resources are out there, they're just all in different places and use different conventions.

My name's s3krit, pleased to make your acquaintance. I'll make an acct. on the wiki after I've done these scans.

>> No.714904

>>714814
crap, my scanner doesn't handle depth at all well. I've bookmarked the wiki and will use a digital camera and tripod at the next available opportunity.

Well, since I got the DC out of storage... rayman 2 it is!

>> No.714983

>>714195
Apparently the original Famicom craps out some interference when you add composite to it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYl6f4jLc6I

There's a discussion on it here:
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?121751-Famicom-AV-Mod-vertical-lines

>> No.715000

Don't forget to make use of the request article. I'm really just waiting for someone to ask for pictures or scans of something I may own. I'm really short on specifications and wiki-writing finesse, though, which is why I'm not writing articles.

I tend to write how I speak, which can be somewhat laconic unless I force myself to pad everything out.

>> No.715091

>>715000
Well, what are you looking for. We're here right now, I can see if I have anything you need.

>> No.715239

>>715091
Ya got it backwards, mate. I'm waiting for something to pop up in the requests page so I can scan/photograph it. The vast majority of my collection is sitting in boxes in my office at the moment, and I have today off of work.

>> No.715262

>>715239
Oh. I misread what you wrote.

You could take the pictures and then drop them in their page with some placeholder text? It'll give some incentive for people to write about them if they have images for the hardware.

>> No.715413

>>715262
I basically do nothing unless there is a need to be fulfilled. Anything I do on my own initiative always turns into wasted effort, like my webcomic, my "retro" website, my online art galleries, and my Youtube channel.

Now I just wait for people to say "I wish there were some pictures of X; ll I can find are old GIFs from 1995 on the wayback machine".

>> No.715459

>>715413
Ok, how about this? I'm getting a Panasonic 3DO FZ10 in the mail soon, and the picture there is pretty small. If you have one, can you post a larger image of the motherboard, top and bottom, and some of the laser assembly? Case top and back would be good too, for wiki purposes.

>> No.715728

>>715459
Sure.

Also I tossed up an article for the Game.com with photos.

>> No.715895
File: 1.48 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000093.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>715459
I photographed the mainboard in detail. I'll make a Flickr gallery, put everything up on the Wiki, and then take photos of the reassembled system.

I swear to fuck I am NEVER taking a working 3DO apart ever again. Four goddamn ribbon cables and two power cables.

>> No.716170

>>714184
Yeah I've noticed that too. I let Viper handle the design so I'll let him fixed it. For some reason I only get the dark background on my ipad but not in Firefox, but maybe that's adblock.

>>714743
That looks great, keep 'em coming.

>>714814
Glad to have you on board!

>>715459
I've got a lot of pictures of the laser assembly coming up soon. I'm actively looking for a replacement so I've taken a lot of pictures of it to help identify it in other devices. I'll put them up later.

>>715895
Oh nice, that looks better than the one I put up. How did you do the lighting?

Thanks everyone for your help so far, especially viper for taking care of the front page design and a lot of the stub pages. I'll be busy this weekend so I won't have much time to contribute until Monday, but next week I'll get to work on some new guides. Anything specific requests? I have a lot of consoles so just let me know what you're looking for.

>> No.716196
File: 1.11 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>716170
>Oh nice, that looks better than the one I put up. How did you do the lighting?
Typical cold, overcast Ohio day. The cloud cover diffused the sunlight. Used a dry-erase board for the background. In some of the photos, the reflection of my porch can be seen.

>> No.716218
File: 1.05 MB, 3264x1836, Tiger Game.com anterior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Derp, just realized I forgot to photograph the laser assembly. Glad it's already being taken care of. I HATE ribbon cables.

>> No.716236

>>716218

>game.com

Oh god do no remind me of that piece of shit.

I begged my parents to get it for me because I thought I could browse the internet with it.

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU TIGER!

>> No.716318
File: 1.32 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000078.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How are videos on the wiki going to work? MerchanTube is becoming unbearable, what with the modern Sega and Nintendo stomping all over review and gameplay videos, and anything 3DO-era and newer setting off MerchanTube's CONTENT MATCH because the background music of a game that cannot be muted is still interfering with the sales of out-of-print albums in spite of the fact that car engines and people screaming attack names are playing overtop of it. But I digress.

What kind of videos are needed, where should they be hosted, and other such stuff?

>>716236
The Game.com was at least ambitious. If there had been a better budget for it, the screen would have shit all over the Game Boy, and if the infotainment megaroad weren't still an obscurity at the time, the online component could have taken off.

Similarly, the Virtual Boy could have been revolutionary if fucking Nintendo would have waited until blue LEDs became economical. 3D RGB graphics in the nineties? Ho-lee-sheeyit.

>> No.716773

Several comments from /vr/ itself show that this project is not well known even within this community. That shall not stand.

Alas, I know NOBODY else in meatspace who is capable of contributing, and I don't socialize anywhere outside of 4chan these days, since most "normal" forums are egofaggotry and modsucking. Crud vapors!

>> No.716838

>>716773
I'm going to try contacting a few people I know on Atariage. There's one guy on there in particular who I know repairs Game Gears and would probably be willing to take some pictures of the board or offer some technical knowledge of the innards.

We definitely have to get more word out about this project.

>> No.717787
File: 1.51 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000074.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>716838
Groovalicious.

>> No.717842

>>714184
Hmmm sorry about that, seems to look different in FF/IE10, but when i tried Chrome yeah the gradient is different.

Going to fix it soonTM

>> No.718182

>>717842
Well, removed the shitty gradient because it was a clusterfuck for cross-browser gradients and tended to look different in each one and even across various versions.

Interface is still in beta-ish, minor improvements from time to time but I'm focusing on article content and hardware hunting.

>> No.718452

How about an article about connecting your consoles to a PVM or BVM with RGB output? I had to search all over the internet for information about this recently, and it would have been great to have it consolidated into a single place. I could draft an article if people felt it was an appropriate subject for the wiki.

>> No.718509

>Absolutely no mention of NEC consoles, but a 3DO page exists

I closed the tab in disgust.

>> No.718518

>>718509
Then add one, the only content so far is what each of us has laying around.

>> No.718712

the shame ;_;

http://retrojunkie.net/

>> No.719184

>>718452
That would be very welcome. The whole purpose of this wiki was to be a one-stop-shop. Cite your sources on the resulting article page, a la Wikipedia, and everybody wins.

>>718509
3DO information is far less accessible than TG-16/PCE information.

>> No.719283

I just put up a page for the 3DO FZ-10 laser. I'll add some more to it later, including pics. If anyone knows more information about it and could add/correct the page, please do.

>> No.719646
File: 1.50 MB, 3072x2304, DSCF0140.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We still need more requests for information and/or media.

Pinouts.ru has a lot of valuable information, but there's a special warning for the Saturn's pinout data:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:saturnav

If I didn't have to get to work shortly, I would have started prepping my TG-16 for modification. That means shots of the outside, the teardown, the mod board, port installation, and the wiring. Ah, ideas, ideas... too bad work makes me stop thinking, so I can forget the day as it happens.

I need to re-take this photo anyway. The JPEG artifacting is horrific.

>> No.720698

>>715895
>little grounding reminder silkscreened on the board

Nice.

>> No.720718

>>716838

There's a lot of variants of the GG's PCB, so a guy who does repairs regularly would probably be the only feasible way to get pics of all of them.

>>717787
>that microswitch

Jesus.

>> No.721782

>>720718
I have never even played the Genesis that shot came from. Bought it at a thrift store and cleaned the outside, and it's been in a box for years, only hauled out into the daylight upon request before this Wiki was created because someone had never seen a VA2 board with that wonky filter chip on it.

>> No.722284

>>716318

Some of that solder work is kind of atrocious. Sega is infamous for these sorts of post-production fixes. Normally it's just jumper wires snaking everywhere though.

You don't need to do much trace following to figure out what that filter IC is doing, considering that the output is going directly to a cartridge pin. Which pin is is connected to?

>> No.722294
File: 1.68 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>722284
Beats me; never took a close look at it. It's not capable of being s-video modded, so I give zero fucks about it. Cheapass video encoder chip...

>> No.722327

>>722294

Looks like it's going to the RST pin. So it's there to fix a glitch or design flaw. They either had the wrong signal going to that pin somehow and needed to invert it, or it wasn't stable enough on its own for reliable operation.

>> No.723763

>>722327
That was the assumption of everyone who had looked at it, but it seems like Sega had set up an SEP field generator so nobody would care about it. Eerie.

>> No.725092

>>694820
>>716318
>>717787
>>722294
I remember you. Thanks for all those MD photos.

It would be seriously cool if you'd end up doing more galleries of your consoles, the same way the guy at http://retrojunkie.net does. There are so many unique Sega boards, one day I'll get my own database online that lists all known one of them.

>> No.725268

>>723763

There weren't exactly a lot of people dismantling their MDs in the 90s, and there's little interest in the VA2 board in the first place because of the shit tier encoder.

All the more reason to save pics of the insides though, since they're not common.

>> No.726717

>>725268
I'll clean it up a bit and take some outdoor photos a la my Game.com and 3DO FZ-10 photos when I get in the mood, now that I'm more familiar with tech photography. I have several other Genesis 2 models that are ripe for photography, but I am not wanting to disassemble any more CD systems.

>> No.726751

>>725092
No prob, I'll be taking more, and better (read: not on my goddamn project desk) photos in the future if my mood doesn't go shit-shaped. My profile on the wiki has a link to my Flickr gallery, and the 3DO and VA2 pictures are in their own respective sets. Now that Flickr allows free downloading of original-resolution shots, good times for all.

>> No.726818

Dumping some images of a 4-switch atari right now since they're on my phone anyways. They are extremely shit but I'll replace them with better one's in a few days.

>> No.728638
File: 1.66 MB, 3264x1836, FZ-10 mainboard underside 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fishing around for repair guides for systems... found some valuable info on the Racketboy forums for replacing the Goldstar 3DO's laser. Depending on how my finances roll, I may make a pictorial guide on the process.

Or maybe I'll just take photos of my Sears Video Arcade, Atari VCS "Vader" (black, no woodgrain), 5200, 7800, XE... Bah, this is feeling like pie in the sky. One step at a time. It would be nice if people would make requests, though. This is playing like Qix. With no targets, we're just randomly chipping away at the dearth of information about random systems.

>> No.729118
File: 1.12 MB, 2571x1490, 2600jr_board_top.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just took some pictures of the board in my 2600 Jr. and threw them up on the wiki. I might take some Saturn pics next and do a teardown guide for it.

We need to start getting the word out about the wiki. I guess the best thing to do would be to go on some modding forums and post threads about it. I'll start with AtariAge and benheck.com, but I don't know of any other places to go.

>> No.729304

Okay, I made a thread about the wiki on AtariAge:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212783-a-wiki-for-repairs-mods-and-hardware/

I tried to post a thread on the benheck.com forums, but I don't have an account there and it looks like registration has been disabled.

Also, check this out:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27684
Someone's already cataloged many of the N64 motherboards, so if anyone's up to copying this info to the wiki, be my guest.

>> No.729563

>>729118
Which Saturns do you have? I mean, by serial number...

>> No.729689

>>729563
I have a US model 2 Saturn. The serial number is 065025382, and it was manufactured in June, 1996. I also have an off-white Japanese memory card.

>> No.729748

>>729689
I see; it should be a VA5 (aka VA SD) then, not particularly rare, though I guess that's good if you are doing a guide. It's a late model 1 put in a model 2 case by the way (reusing stock was of big importance).

>> No.729812

>>694016
Do you need more board pics? I have several consoles I could photograph the boards from for archival purposes.

>> No.729930

>>729812
Absolutely. What do you have?

>> No.731402

>>729304
I just posted on your thread. I'm hoping that we can get more attention to it if we have more than just the OP in there.

>> No.731418
File: 72 KB, 800x600, 1365678187315.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>731402
It's not just the OP in here

>> No.731941

>>729118

Huh... the mosfet in my Jr wasn't tacked with thermal adhesive or even screwed down, it was just sort of sticking out over the ground plane there.

I wound up soldering it down while I had mine open. Unfortunately it's no longer good for reference pics. I had the thing open in the first place for AV mod surgery and now it has a C/Y filter board mounted with wires snaking everywhere.

>> No.732889

>>731418
I just meant in the Atariage forum thread.

>> No.735396

bump

>> No.735560

I've been busy over the weekend because of an anime convention, musical performances, and an out of state friend visiting.

This week I'm going to take some better pictures of my Atari Video Pinball and take some pictures of my other systems and put them on Mega so anyone can grab the pictures if they're working on an article which could use them.

I'm not so hot at writing information on consoles, so I'm just going to focus on getting pictures of the older/more obscure ones I have at the moment.

>> No.735579

>>735560
No anime conventions around here ;_; & pictures of the atari pinball would be great

Good news: The wiki is growing steady.

>> No.735587

After a horrible weekend spent working, including Monday, I'm spent for a bit. Hell, I've been staring at the preceding sentence for about 15 minutes. We'll see how things go by my next day off of awful work. It may be best if I line up my Atari XE for photography. Part of the reason I feel like hell is because I found that my relatives who had helped me move to the city thought it a good idea to throw away many of my boxes, so in addition to some odds and ends, I lost a friend's entire C64 collection, including data written by a friend of his who had passed away a long while ago.

I'll just say that it's probably good that I don't know precisely who is responsible for this, since my gun collection outweighs my game collection, if only in dollar value.

>> No.735623

>>735587
Damn relatives throwing out whatever the hell they don't like/need from others things.

I had a few boxes with old comics (mickey mouse / donald duck) and some famicom cartridges which got tossed into the trash for the perfectly sane reason "they were OLD and i grew up so why would i need that old junk".

>> No.735640

>>735623
The difference is, the people who threw my things away didn't live with me. I was not beholden to them for anything, and they were only helping me load boxes into a truck in exchange for favors I had done for them. But thinking about this only makes me angry, which will not help me get to sleep before dawn.

While "every classic console" is a fine general order, I'd like to know what's next on the list. Having a directive is a suitable substitute for me being in a good mood, when it comes to getting anything done in my limited free time, since being in a good mood comes as often for me as the 32nd of any given month.

>> No.736189

http://nes.wikia.com/wiki/NES_Wiki

I just coincidentially found this, it doesn't look like it's a really strong webpage, but perhaps they can help or be a source of info. I haven't lurked enough though, it might be shit.

>> No.736194

>>736189
>Wikia

>> No.736198

>>736194
Well our wiki is wikia as well.

>> No.736235

>>736189
>Founded in 2008 and barely updated once every few months
We could ask them to merge with ours.

inb4 they have more pages than ours but many are for the games... http://nes.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_NES_games

>> No.736287

>>736235
That's actually a better idea than mine, basically I was thinking of stealing a few articles from them.

However, they do seem like they're extremely biased towards the system and their eyes seem stuck to a rose-tinted microscope.

>> No.736329

Hey OP. This may sound weird, but do you think there could be a section on power supplies for the Wiki?

For example. The Mega Drive had about 5 power supplies for the different models, and additions, and it would be nice to have a page detailing the voltage, amps, and anything significant (such as not plugging in something with too many volts, or too little) for the power supplies?

I was also thinking if there could be a section for other power supplies that can be used for the systems, such as the Power Supply for the Saturn could be used for the Dreamcast etc?

>> No.736335

>>736329
This I think would be extremely useful. Not only power supplies though, all wiring and cables as well. For example, I believe the NES, SNES, N64 and GameCube all use the same TV connector.

>> No.736342
File: 15 KB, 272x233, 1361023526300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>736335

Well, I would do a page on them, but I really don't know much technically. All I really know is that the Saturn, Dreamcast and Xbox original all use the same power supply, and it is incredibly common, the PS Vita even uses it for it's recharger.

As for the Mega Drive, I don't know much, except that the model 1 has a different supply than the 2 and 3, and the Sega CD, 32X and other additions all use different outputs.

Oh, and for the TV connector, the N64 and the Gamecube use the save TV connector.

>> No.736347

>>736342
And the SNES. When I got my SNES, the connector didn't work, and I used my GameCube one. It works perfectly. I've also heard that SNES and NES share the same one, so I've just guessed all Nintendo consoles do (up to the Wii).

>> No.736353

>>736347

Huh, I didn't know that.

All I'd really care about knowing is if there are any other power supplies available for the Mega Drive 2, since it had a specific one that outputs 10V or something, and they cost about £11 to buy, and finding a similar one is damn near impossible.

>> No.736382

NES through 64 all use the same RBY connector cord.

>> No.736419

>>736235
they seem to have been invited already to join the Nintendo wikia to which they didn't reply.

http://nes.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:SlashMan#Nintendo_Wiki

>> No.736823

There's more wikis with info that regards Retro Consoles Wiki.
For example,
http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/BootlegGames_Wiki

>> No.736862
File: 51 KB, 640x480, snes49qj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I ordered some switches to do the region mod on my PAL snes, but the seller sent me ON/OFF/ON switches instead of ON/ON

Will these be ok to use?

I dont want to short out the SNES if i accidentally put one of the switches in the OFF position.

>> No.736875

>>736382
No, SNES through Gamecube.

>> No.736968

>>736875
website for various mods http://www.chrismcovell.com/gotRGB/<wbr>

>> No.737147

>>736862
I'd like to hear a bit about that mod, I own a PAL SNES and would like to play some NTSC-only games as well.
Does it have any consequences? Also, is there a way to fit american cartridges without having to make the slot larger? It looks horrible.
And anything you can think of that might be important would be appreciated as well.
Thanks in advance.

>> No.737170

>>737147
Some games wont work with the chip disabled, but I think there will be no problems as sure as you add switches so the change isnt permanent.

>> No.738984
File: 309 KB, 2016x539, saturn-power-board-angle1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>736329
That's a great idea. For power supplies, we could list known safe voltage ranges, the size and type of connector, and any common replacements. I know for instance that an NES can be safely powered by a model 1 Genesis's power supply, and lots of consoles use that common square-and-semi-circle AC cable with no box. What's the proper name for that anyway?

>>736342
>Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox
The Xbox actualy uses a slightly different cable; instead of the square-and-half-circle, which is polarized, it uses two semi-circles and is unpolarized. I'm pointing this out because an Xbox power cord will fit in a Saturn or Dreamcast (or FZ-10, PS1, PS2, etc.) and could damage those consoles if they do not receive the correct polarization. My Saturn came with an unpolarized cable by mistake, and I remember that I powered it on with the wrong polarization and saw the BIOS screen, but the video was dark and flickering, but the more distressing effect was that the disc started spinning backwards at an unusually high speed. I only left it on for a few seconds and it survived, but I doubt it would have lasted much longer.

>>736862
ON/OFF/ON should be fine. When you use ON/ON, you still would have wanted to use break-before-make (brief period of no connection when switching) instead of make-before-break (both selections connected very briefly), and break-before-make is basically a fast ON/OFF/ON.

I've taken the pictures for the Saturn teardown, so I've just gotta write up the guide. I also took pics of every board, top and bottom. And yes >>729748 , it was a VA SD. I didn't take apart the drive, though. I'd rather not touch that until I need to.

After the Saturn guide, I'll do a controller teardown and a cleaning guide, probably for a 3-button Genesis controller since I have one I need to clean. I'll get to work on power supplies soon too. I'll try to take legible pictures of the text on the power supplies I have, but I'll also transcribe the text in the articles.

>> No.739023

>>738984
>I didn't take apart the drive, though. I'd rather not touch that until I need to.

No worries, I already made ample amount of those myself. Even managed to find the Hitachi drive. Only missing the final two Sanyo drives I believe.

>> No.739850

Doesn't seem to be anyone adding content anymore on the wiki

>> No.739902

>>739850
The most recent activity was ten hours ago.

That is nowhere near long enough to be complaining about nothing being added.

On a different note, I would like to contribute, but all I have on my repair queue is a FZ10 3DO, and that's already got a teardown guide.

Not to mention someone walked off with my camera's SD card and the data cable, but left the camera.

>> No.740613

I have my original gameboy open right now.

If someone tells me how to get the worn buttons I can give pics.
So yeah that black stuff under he buttons that touches the motherboard when you press down what is that and how to make it work again ?

>> No.741096

>>740613
>what is that and how to make it work again
Those are the contact points, and they usually gather dust and various grime, which interferes with button function. Some alcohol on a q-tip will clean them up nicely.

>> No.742001

>>740613
This >>741096 is the thing to do. Dirty contacts look shiny. You only need to clean them until they look dull, not necessarily until your q-tips stop turning black. Clean the contacts on the board too. While you're at it, you should clean the sides of the buttons and the part of the casing where they sit. You'd be surprised how close to new a properly cleaned controller can feel.

>> No.742028

This is just a suggestion, because I know how we love to hate on Reddit here, but some of the guys over at /r/GameCollecting would probably be more than willing to contribute to the wiki if you were to post there about it. Some of those motherfuckers really know their shit.

>> No.742035

>>742028
It's not a bad idea. I'm on there every day and there's quite a wealth of knowledge.

>> No.742092

>>738984
Polarized plugs exist so that the HOT line is always connected to the same spot inside of electronic devices, so when shitty engineers don't mirror diodes on both "pins", you won't hyperfuck your hardware by dumping HOT into the side that was meant to face NEUTRAL until a power switch was turned on, or somesuch.

So never use a non-polarized cable in a system that has a polarized power input.

>>740613
The conductor pads do wear down a bit. In gamepads, I would typically rotate them 180º to extend their life, but I forget if the DMG-01's crosspad and button pads are made that way.

>>742028
Any talent would be appreciated. This isn't an exclusive club, but a much-needed, open and public resource.

>> No.742115

>>742028
http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/1fcnnr/retro_consoles_wiki_a_new_wiki_for_repairs_mods/

>> No.742445
File: 277 KB, 1204x1702, MYSMD2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.742505

>>742445
What does overclocking the Z80 accomplish?

>> No.742514

>>742445
>VFD tubers that say SEGA
oh dear lord

>> No.742524

>>742445
now that's a real ghetto mod

>> No.742536

>>738984
>and I remember that I powered it on with the wrong polarization and saw the BIOS screen, but the video was dark and flickering, but the more distressing effect was that the disc started spinning backwards at an unusually high speed
really, I thought all that would happen is that it would short out the system

>> No.742542

>>742524
>blood mod :P

>> No.742983
File: 1.06 MB, 2560x1920, DSCF3015_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>742514
small time.

>> No.743748

>>742092
>Any talent would be appreciated. This isn't an exclusive club, but a much-needed, open and public resource.

Good to hear.

>> No.743762

>>699974
>>703551
>>703567
>>703568
>>703570
Pretty cool to know. What third party cables are good though?

Can this be avoided if you just get cables with RCA only?

>> No.743763

>>742983
That's pretty cool

>> No.743771
File: 34 KB, 250x161, mario_repair.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You've made me proud OP

I made the repair threads of /vr/ in the beginning days.

>> No.743787

>>743762
>What third party cables are good though?

What, 3rd party S-Video cables?

None of them.

There's not a single modern manufacturer on the planet that makes them correctly.

The only way to get proper S-Video from a multi-av cable is to track down a first-party unit or make your own.

>Can this be avoided if you just get cables with RCA only?

The composite RCA connector is actually hooked up to the proper pin, but that's not the signal we're looking for.

>> No.743793

>>743787
Alright then

I was just wondering if getting RCA exclusive cables without S-video would work

>> No.743807

>>743793
I mean would it prevent the lines running though the picture.

I'm not looking for the S-video connection

>> No.743852

>>743807
>would it prevent the lines running though the picture.

The picture quality will be substantially worse on composite but there should be no outright video artifacts like the diagonal lines. That only happens to the s-video output on a fake cable because the TV isn't receiving the proper s-video input it's expecting.

>> No.743987
File: 20 KB, 640x480, 1359549032792.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>743852
I don't think the average person will be able to tell and it isn't that much worse

>> No.744003
File: 72 KB, 378x363, likemuch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Everyone in this thread is doing god's work thank you guys so much!

>> No.744013

>>743987
The reason I'm asking is be cause I have some consoles I need to get Nintendo video cable replacements for and most people have RCA jacks on their TVs

>> No.744290

>>744013

The whole bit with the fake svideo cables having horrible picture has nothing at all to do with composite cables.

I'm not sure how they could actually screw up running a single signal pin and actually have the thing still produce a picture.

>> No.744302

>>744290
So avoid the all in one cables, got it

>> No.744343

>>744302

The composite on the all in one cables works fine. The problem with those cables is that the composite pin is incorrectly connected to s-video as well.

You can just not use the svideo connector or even cut it right off.

>> No.744350

>>744343
Alright

That might be a plan

Is there a guide to testing these cables?

>> No.744437
File: 43 KB, 472x576, SNESAV pinout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>744350

You can check the pins in the connector against the AV pinout, and test them against the plugs with a multimeter to make sure each one is going to the right place.

>> No.744464

>>744437
Thanks

I imagine this is the same for the N64 cable, correct?

>> No.744474

>>744464

SNES N64 and GC all use the same cable.

>> No.744479

>>744474
Nice, thanks

I knew they all worked together, but I wasn't aware if the cables where the same

>> No.744486

>>744479
>>744437
I think I got it. I'll try it on some cables tomorrow

It would be cool if this was added to the wiki

>> No.745805

Electrical diagrams of consoles would be useful to post if you have them.

Maybe I'm slacking on my google practice, but the only fz-10 diagram I can find is in a 3 part RAR, and part one is listed as an EXE that is flagged as malicious.

>> No.745850

>>745805
Another reason why we need to centralize most of this data

For now we don't have pages for important consoles.

>> No.746237

MODS -> http://www.gamesx.com/index.php
Damn good looking Wiki -> http://sonicfamily.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive

>> No.746383

>>745850
Arguably, the more obscure systems are more important to cover, if only for the dearth of readily-available information on them.

If I didn't feel magically shitty at the moment, I'd photograph my TG16 and my Neo Geo AES.

>> No.746474

I just picked up a Sega Pico at a thrift store. Would anyone be interested in pictures of the insides?

>> No.746674

>>745805
electrical diagrams are mostly from service manuals, and very few of those are scanned because they are in the hush-hush dev hardware hoarder scene. (they are "return to the manufacturer" type of documents, only made available for specialized repair stores)

>> No.746862

>>746674
http://www.smspower.org/Development/SegaMasterSystemIIServiceManual

>> No.746979

>>746862
I was one of the guys who donated for that batch of Sega manuals, and they are practically the ONLY ones actually scanned - and they all come from fax copies to begin with, so a lot of details are unreadable.

>> No.747442
File: 1.25 MB, 2592x1936, saturn-teardown03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A new guide is up! Sega Saturn Teardown:
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Sega_Saturn_Teardown

I've added some info to the front page to try to get the point of the wiki across to people who aren't already involved. The main points:
- Every console, computer, or electronic gaming device, however new or old, is allowed, although for computers I really only mean ones like the C64 or Amiga (old gaming computers basically).

- You can edit or rewrite guides written by other people, and in fact this is encouraged if you can add useful info! I'm tentatively calling this the "nothing is sacred" policy. I'm hoping this will prevent a future build-up of poorly written but badly needed guides that no one wants to fix because they're worried about the ego of the author. Guides will be treated like any other page of the wiki - they are open to everyone and should contain detailed, accurate information.

>>746862
Oh hell yes, service manuals are like gold. I have the Colecovision service manual already and some docs for the 2600 and Saturn. Someday when the site is post-Wikia, I hope to host all these documents, pending legal intervention of course. For now, if anyone has a service guide that can't be found online, please email it to me, and I'll hold onto it for the eventual move to paid hosting.

>>746474
Definitely. I don't even remember what that is, but yes!

So I'm trying to decide on what to do next, maybe some power supply stuff or a controller cleaning guide. Here's some of the more exotic stuff I have if anyone want to make a request for pics:
- Two Coleco Visions (different motherboards)
- Expansion Modules 1&2 for the Coleco (Atari 2600 add-on and steering wheel)
-Sega Saturn lightgun
-Interact brand lightgun for Dreamcast
-Namco lightgun for PS1
-Fishing rod for DC
-Steel Battalion controller for Xbox (I've actually replaced a few LEDs in it already)

>> No.747519

>>747442
Nice, it's the flashcart guy here, I should have more time to improve some things and maybe add some additional info/guides on flashcarts and modchips.

Hopefully I can work on the wiki actively for awhile.

>> No.747738

I have some boxes and documentation for a couple systems and a handful of games, which is surprising, considering how many times I've been down to the clothes on my back. My problem is as ever, whenever I have time to photograph or scan anything, I tend to feel like shit, so I don't want to do anything. Like today.

>> No.748530
File: 810 KB, 2321x1194, ps1motherboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey guys, I've got a scanner that handles depth really damn well, and I've been playing with my PS1's guts lately. Here's a scan, sadly I can't scan the bottom because I modded in a s-video jack (I'm planning on writing up a little guide on how to do this) and the ribbon cables cover a bunch of tracks. I've also made a pretty crappy full PS1 disassembly video. I've also found some service manuals for both the PS1 and PS2 and could upload those to the wiki. My handle on wikia is Latin Geek.

>> No.748606

>>748530
>I modded in a s-video jack

Doesn't it already provide s-video via the multi-out?

>> No.748612

>>729930
I have an Atari 800, a 2600 light sixer, and a 5200 2 port.

I also have a ColecoVision

>> No.748635

>>694820
>and since I live in the dark

Are you john carmack or dracula

>> No.748865

>>748606
It does indeed! But I didn't feel like paying $10 for an AV Multi-Out to S-Video cable when I had the parts and a long ass shielded S-Video cable. And it was good soldering/pinout research/board research practice.

>> No.749230
File: 68 KB, 691x658, up vs down.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Feedback required: does the first half look better than the second half ? (goal being having less clutter)

If none apply, then suggest a way to make it look less cluttered to improve readability, considering people usually close the page if they don't find what they want under 5 seconds.

>> No.749231
File: 505 KB, 1008x1605, Nor-Cal Ranger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>748635
I am Carmacula. BLEAH! I WANT YOU TO REGISTER YOUR COPY OF QUAKE TODAY!
THE CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, WHAT ROCKIN' MIDI COMPOSITIONS THEY MAKE.

No, I work all day, and work aggravates me so much, I often have to stay up until 5AM so I am chilled out enough to sleep for more than four hours. Which is why I haven't gutted all of my game systems and accessories to photograph them all in one shot.

>> No.749252

>>747442
>Two Coleco Visions (different motherboards)

They had different PCB revisions? I thought all they did was remove the ground wire going from the RF box to front ground plane in later revisions.

>> No.749261

>>749252
Nope, http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/ColecoVision/colecovision.htm

>> No.749268

>>749261
>Rev-D-of-US-VERSION-Mother-Board

Okay no, that's clearly the PAL model with the RF daughter board at the front of the controller tray. It even has an Australian RF unit on it.

>> No.749286

>>749268
NTSC uses a 7.15909 MHz crystal, not sure on the PAL

>> No.749303

>>749286

Same thing. That oscillator is not used by the video subsystem anyway.

>> No.749612

>>748612
The 2600 is covered, although it isn't specified if it's a sixer or not.
All the others need pictures of their boards, so if you could provide those, it'd be perfect. Hell, the Atari 800 and 5200 don't even have their own articles.
So yeah, if you could do that, it'd be highly appreciated.

>> No.749634

I have to ask; why are the Vectrex, Fairchild Channel F and Magnavox Odyssey on 'other links' and not on the same box as the others?

Also, I wanted to make a request (I'd do this myself but my knowledge on the matter is very limited, and I'm hella busy): Someone could make a 'General console cleaning' article, explaining how to clean systems. Then, each system could get a specific one for them explaining certain special stuff that other systems don't have.

>> No.749637
File: 99 KB, 655x548, 1st100x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a PS1 (SCPH-1002) that i tried to install a modchip in but i can't get it to read burnt games.

I programed the 12f629 PIC chip with the Stealth 2.8a HEX used this diagram to wire it but i just get an error everytime.

I also tried the MM3 HEX but that wouldnt even let me play original games.

>> No.749647

>>749634
Okay, the wiki answered my own question for me. They'll eventually be added to the layout.

>> No.749649

>>749634
Because we need to make them logo's, or add them in another category by Console and not by Company as it is right now (there are loads of companies manufacturing them, some which only created one console and went back to toys or whatever.)

For now they are hosted on "other consoles" page to keep from filling the frontpage with text links.

Feel free to edit if you have any ideas on improving the wiki.

>> No.749650
File: 1.18 MB, 2084x1724, 2013-06-01 20.49.38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>749637
This is how it is wired.

That's the Stealth 2.8a

>> No.749945

>>749637
I thought you are supposed to only use 4 wires for those old modchips?

>> No.749971

>>749612
Ok, I will get pics taken when I can, and figure out how to upload them.

>> No.750086

I've been really busy this week, but I plan on doing a mass photo shoot tomorrow to knock out a few consoles.

I'm going to reshoot the Atari Video Pinball because I noticed that there was a smudge on the lens which made parts of the shots blurry.

I also plan on shooting the Atari 2600 heavy sixer, a Fairchild Channel F, and a Sega Pico.

I want to get some of the less common systems out of the way before hitting the ones everyone has.

>> No.750190

>>750086
The rarer the better. I seen some consoles/clones at a local store i never heard of so far like Voltmace Database / VC 4000 / MBO - Teleball Cassette. At over 200Euro each, i'm not looking to buy them but maybe the guy there will let me take some photos.

>> No.750212

>>750190
Speaking of rare AND privey http://www.stevenread.com/art/adventurevision/adventurevision.htm

>> No.750407
File: 26 KB, 600x400, 795-panasonic-3do-ide-adapter-allows-loading-isos-from-an-internal-hard-drive.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>711603
>>711770

Running games from a IDE HDD through the optical drive connector has been achieved on the 3DO too. Useful alternative for a console with a dead laser. Really would like a DC to be able to do similar.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/panasonic-3do-ide-adapter-allows-loading-isos-from-an-internal-hard-drive.html

>> No.750413

>>750086
the hell is a sega pico?

>> No.750417

>>750413
>sega pico
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Pico

>> No.751006
File: 198 KB, 800x600, segapico.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>750407
Awesome. Too bad my FZ-10 still works, haha... If I weren't trying to save up right now, I'd get a couple, if they're still being sold, for the sake of preservation.

>>750413
Essentially a Master System, but modified (can't play Master System games) made for young children. The majority of the titles are storybook and educational activity titles. I have three Pico systems (all different colors) and a stack of boxed games for it.

>> No.751098

>>751006
>Essentially a Master System, but modified (can't play Master System games) made for young children.

Megadrive, actually.

>> No.751137

>>751098
Derp, all I had in my head when I was typing was "Sega M", and got stuck on Master System.

>> No.751437
File: 2.36 MB, 2592x1936, saturn error.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know if the Saturn uses the colored spheres in teh system menu to display error codes? After doing the teardown guide, I went to play a game, but nothing will boot and for some reason the left sphere is yellow and the right one is red. Sometimes both will be read.

I've tried several discs and the same thing happens every time. Oddly, the Saturn can read the number of tracks and length of the discs but none of the data itself, including playing audio tracks. I think it might be a loose connection between the power and system boards. It looks like I'm going back in.

>> No.751458

>>751437
Sometimes both will be RED I meant.

>> No.751826

>>751437
Those spheres are just fancy UV meters. However, they'll behave oddly if the CD drive is not properly connected, so try reseating the drive ribbon. Maybe you put it in reversed?.

>> No.751897
File: 241 KB, 707x1119, coleco-power-brick-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>751826
I reseated the ribbon and made the power board's connection tighter and now it's working again. I'm not sure exactly what was going on.

Also, I've started taking power supply pics.

>> No.751981
File: 242 KB, 828x1178, genesis-model1-ps-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>751897
And here's one for a model 1 Genesis. Do you guys think this is good enough in terms of readability?

>> No.751995

Do you need pics of NES innards? I have one opened up right now.

>> No.751996

>>751981
Its fine

>> No.752016

>>751981
A+ m8

>> No.752030

>>751995
Yeah, we don't have any yet.

>> No.752105
File: 77 KB, 692x480, parkingsupplies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752030
Great! I'll grab my stuff!

>> No.752362
File: 2.13 MB, 4000x3000, IMG_0715.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752105
Okay, I took some test shots for the controller ports, and I want to know what folks think.

Here's a first one, just the entire port and wiring. I purposely used a white balance that made the background very bright white compared to what it actually appears, so do tell me if you like these few I took with bright white backgrounds, or if you prefer the later pictures without this white balance setting.

>> No.752367

>>752362
jesus that's blurry as fuck. Sorry folks. I really need to get a tripod or something...and preview these before I post...

>> No.752375
File: 2.10 MB, 4000x3000, IMG_0716.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752362
>>752367
okay, better one here. Similar picture, thought not quite as good for showing the wires connecting to the controller port itself.

>> No.752394
File: 1.91 MB, 4000x3000, IMG_0719.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752375
And here's another one, this time of the business end that plugs into the NES mobo. This one uses the more accurate white balance I mentioned. This particular shot I tried to get a clear view of each wire going to each port.

If I am spamming this thread too much, please tell me and I will instead upload my shots to a zip folder or a photobucket or something.

>> No.752393

>>752362
When you are taking closeup shots, try to find a function on your camera called macro and turn it on.

>> No.752402

>>752393
I did, I think I just moved or something. Again, sorry that photo is shit, I'll double-check before I post again.

>> No.752435
File: 68 KB, 1000x750, 1370133833006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752394
That's a bit dark, I brightened it up.

>> No.752508

>>752435
Alright, I'll be sure to use the more ideal lighting setting. in future pics.

>> No.753161

>>749650

Both PCB revisions of the 1002 are only 4-wire mods. What the fuck diagram were you following?

>> No.753686
File: 1.18 MB, 3264x1836, FZ-10 top 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>752508
What works for me is taking photos outdoors. Free nigh-omnidirectional light source out there in space, just there for the using. And the light it gives off looks so... natural!

>> No.753703

>>753686
That’s not bad。I might inevitably be using the sun, though I like using whitespace and a flash to get my shots.Will try sometime the sun though.

>> No.753718

>>753686
This is one of the best photos online for this model.

>> No.753739
File: 1.34 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>753718
Easy to do with a new phone with a decent camera. Much cheaper than buying a mid-range digital job with a proper lens.

>> No.753751

>>753739
I took some decent pics with an old (2009) Nikon S210 8MP (~100Euro)

>> No.753787

Seems this wiki is growing pretty nicely. We might even need a new thread soon-ish.

>> No.753901
File: 500 KB, 1296x972, collection.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.753926
File: 1.33 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_00000037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>753901
Here was a quick and dirty shot of mine. I have other systems that aren't in the photo, and a large part of my collection is LOCATION UNKNOWN. Just the main systems in this burrovision shot.

>> No.753967

>>753161
see
>>749637

>> No.754012

>>749637

Do you have a PU-7 or a PU-8? The wiring is different despite both being 100x consoles.

>> No.754031
File: 176 KB, 1000x750, 5b4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I know Dreamcast technically doesn't count but I trust /vr/ way more than /v/.

I picked this up at a yard sale for 3 bucks today despite the fact the buttons are hilariously bad and need replaced. The Joystick is flawless, and the rest of it is appears to be okay. I've never replaced buttons in an Arcade Pad and if someone could hook me up with a good tutorial I would appreciate it.

Also, what is the best place to get some OBSF-30 Sanwa Green Silent buttons for a good price? Best I can find is from Video Games New York for around 20 dollars + shipping = 6 buttons. I can pay that but I don't want to pay more than I have to.

>> No.754034
File: 125 KB, 1000x750, 5654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>754031

Also I have another concern. Someone did not take care of it and it rusted a lot on the metal inside and you can even see on the right side. Opening it up I see that none of the rust is touching the circuitry thank goodness, but I'm concerned because it is rusted around the holes where the buttons go. This wont affect the buttons as long as it's not touching circuitry right? I don't want to purchase buttons only to find out they wont work because of the rusted metal surrounding them.

>> No.754054

>>754034
If that's a steel plate on the face of the stick, then don't worry. That level of rust can arise from it being in a humid environment. If it works, it's fine. Also, if you took it apart, it should be very obvious if you can use off the shelf joystick parts with it.

>> No.754070
File: 63 KB, 500x580, 100x.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>754012
PU-8

This is the 4 wire diagram for my motherboard.

>> No.754083

>>754031

The original buttons are smaller than Sanwas and use 2-pin mini molex connectors. You will need to bore out the holes to 30mm and replace the connectors with individual 0.110" quick disconnects.

>>754034

Rust is a largely cosmetic concern. You can unmount everything and sand the plate if it bothers you.

>> No.754108

>>754054

Good. This is going to be for personal use so to be honest a little ware on one side that's hardly noticeable is no problem for me.

>>754083

>The original buttons are smaller than Sanwas and use 2-pin mini molex connectors. You will need to bore out the holes to 30mm and replace the connectors with individual 0.110" quick disconnects.

Darn, that sounds much more complicated than I hoped it would be. I'm guessing they don't sell any the size I'm looking for anywhere? I'd rather it be a simple swap job but if I have to do what you say, I will. They don't need to be Sawnwa, I just heard those are the best for quicker input and I figured they'd fit.

>> No.754525

I suppose this is what we're aiming for in the end http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/index.html

>> No.754535

>>753926
Do a full PCB gallery of the Sega CD.

>> No.754708

>>754525
There are lots of free wiki hosters, wikia being the most limiting due to the fixed width of 650px, and shitty batch uploading.

We should look into which one would be a proper free host and move our operation there.

>> No.754716

>>754708
I think it would be better to keep them both synched if we go that path.

>> No.755397

Hey OP, I hate to be that guy, but did you ask /diy/?

>> No.755404

Nothing has been done about the programming articles, can someone work on that? I'd do it myself if I had the knowledge.

>> No.755412

>>755404
That's the problem at the moment, we're about 2-3 people adding content.

>> No.755450

>>754535
I'll see what I can do.

>> No.755492

>>753901
>2 Vectrex
>Nomad

So jelly right now.

>> No.755494

>>755412
Reading this makes me mad.
Especially because I'd love to be working on it, but I'm busy as fucking hell. I've added some (albeit little compared to what others have) content as an anonymous wikia contributor, in three weeks or so I'll sign up and help almost full-time. I'm sorry, and good luck.

>> No.755506

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=43034&sid=52206d026e5862be61937243de8cf8f6

>> No.755571

This sounds like a really good idea OP. One concentrated wiki for all the consoles would be useful.

I don't know if this has already been suggested or not, but guides for getting the best inputs for consoles would be really useful. Things like modding PAL consoles to run in 60hz and what cables are supported by certain models of each console would be a really great resource.

>> No.755619

http://www.retroage.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1276&Itemid=120

>> No.755646
File: 787 KB, 1838x1089, n64-us-ps-top.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>755397
I made a thread but didn't get any replies.

>>749634
>'General Console Cleaning' article
I'm gonna start working on this today along with a general controller cleaning article.

>>754708
Since I'm planning on moving to paid hosting at some point (i.e. in a couple of months), there would need to be a very compelling reason to switch free hosts in the meantime. Wikia was a poor choice I admit, but it seems fine for now despite its cosmetic limitations. I will switch hosts however if we run into bandwidth or storage limits.

By the way, pic is the last power supply I have access to right now that isn't just a regular AC cable. Due to my apartment being cramped as fuck and in an area with lots of burglaries, I left many of my consoles at my mom's house, so I won't have access to them for a couple of weeks. When I do, I'll have access to an NES, an SNES, a Genesis 2, a Sega CDX, an older PS1, and a Gamecube. I'll bring back to my place whatever hasn't been covered by then.

>> No.755650

I've got an Intellivision sitting next to me; I don't have any knowledge of taking consoles apart, but I'm willing to learn and take pictures to contribute; but in case that doesn't happen,is anyone else able to?

>> No.755678

>>755646
What I was thinking of was a 'Cleaning Generals' article, which had sub-sections for consoles, controllers and others. I might've explained myself wrong on that one before.
What do you think about this?

>> No.755702
File: 848 KB, 1600x1200, DSC00144.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>755646
I still say skip paid hosting until there's a genuine need for it. Right now, we're still filling out the framework.

Also if there are any power supplies you need photos of in the next, oh, forty minutes, I can take care of them. I have NES, Genesis 2, TG16, Neo Geo AES 10V (Japanese), Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800, and Gamecube within eight feet of my chair. I just need to know what shots are required.

>> No.755734

I am just adding a bit about the Atari 8-bit family so it isn't empty.

>> No.755738

>>755678
The general rule for cleaning is, disassemble item, and if it has no stickers, immerse in hot, soapy water and wash with a cloth and a toothbrush, rinse, then shake the water out of it, and let air dry. You may need to blow water out of screw slots with a sharp blast of air.

Had to do this with my Sega CD because some dorkass spilled SOMETHING in it that was jamming the open mechanism.

Anything else, toothbrush and alcohol or window cleaner, paper towels.

>> No.755772

>>755650
It's usually not too difficult to open older consoles. Basically just go slow and take pictures before you remove things so you can retrace your steps later if you forget where something goes or in what order. I've never opened an Intellivision, but here are some general tips:
- Keep different sets of screws (bottom, RF shield, etc.) separate and take note of different sizes even in the same set.
- More often than not, you will see "fake" screwholes on the motherboard, and so take a picture before you remove the screws so you don't get confused later.
-If you feel like you're going to break something, stop and ask for advice. It's not worth breaking things over.

Also, be aware of fragile plastic. When I put the 2600 Jr. back together, some of the screwholes shattered as I screwed the case back together. Just be gentle and don't ever overtighten the screws.

>>755678
Yeah that's a good idea, then we could just link to the one article on the front page. For consoles, I think I'll split that into three separate sections: cartridge/expansion slots, laser lenses, and the plastic shell/casing of the consoles. Then there will also be sections for controllers, cartridges, and CDs (anyone know about toothpaste scratch removal?). What am I missing?

>>755702
>paid hosting
Right, I actually forgot to mention in my last post that the current lack of contributors as >>755412 pointed out is the main reason I don't see the need to switch hosts at all. Moving to paid hosting hinges on the wiki gaining steam.

>Power supplies
The power supplies you see in this thread (N64, Coleco Vision, Genesis 1) are the only ones we have picture of at the moment, so everything else would be great. Could you take top and bottom shots of the power supplies?

>> No.755805

>>755772
Sure, I have few minutes left before work, so I'll haul my whiteboard out to the porch right now.

>> No.755881

>>755772
Given memory cards count as cartridges, and controller ports are included in the slot section, I don't think you're missing anything from cleaning.

>> No.756051

>>755772
>>755805
Uploading now.

>> No.756086
File: 735 KB, 1836x3264, Nintendo Gamecube power supply 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756051
aaaand done. Now to race to awful work.

>> No.756092

>>756086
Damnit, forgot the TG16 power supply. It'll have to wait, as by the time I get back home, the sun will be in Japan.

>> No.756139

NES Innards Guy here, I'm gonna pick up a tripod tonight or tomorrow and get back at it with some better shots. Come tomorrow or the 4th I plan to have uploaded shots of the two controller ports, mobo, cartridge tray, and the power/reset buttons.

Any particulars you want me to focus on, like specific parts of the mobo or something?

>> No.756142

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/index.htm

Just found this. It has pics of the hardware of several consoles, many of which I had never heard of (Pong consoles, mostly).
Can use it as a source of info, or even photos, if we ask for permission.

>> No.756187

CONGRATS EVERYONE, WE'VE PASSED 100 PAGES! Several of them are just stubs, but hey, not bad for just a couple of weeks.

>>756086
Thanks, I've added your pics to their respective pages.What type of 2600 is that power supply for? Also, is your 5200 the type with separate power/video cables or the one with one cord that leads to a separate box?

>>756139
For the mobo, just try to get clear full pictures of the top and bottom of the board. It might be good to get some close shots of the connectors on the board, including the underside of the expansion port so the soldering points are clearly visible. That would be useful for pics that identify pin functions.

I've started working on the cleaning page, but not much is done yet:
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/General_Console_Cleaning
I'll be adding to it throughout the day though.

>> No.756201

Is there any place to get a price check on what certain consoles are worth?

>> No.756207

>>756201
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

>> No.756206

>>756201
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

>> No.756215

>>756206
>>756201
Keep in mind these are averages using eBay prices, etc.
You can, however, use it as a reference.

>> No.756213

>>756187
>http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/General_Console_Cleaning

I hope this page will have some information about how to clean Mega Drive connector pins, mine needs this.

Also, I think pages like this should be accompanied by videos, maybe someone should make a youtube account to put all these videos on so linking and creating can be simple?

Also, maybe there could be a FAQ type page for problems with retro consoles, since it's usually the same problems (console won't turn on, problem with plug/console, console won't read games, problem with pins/connectors etc.)

>>756206
>>756207

Pricechartingmind

>> No.756224

>>756213
Is there something wrong with Pricecharting?

>> No.756232
File: 1.05 MB, 320x240, 1370196819949.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756206
>>756207
>>756215
Thanks a lot.

>> No.756312

>>756213
>Mega Drive connector pins
Are you talking about the controller port or the cartridge slot? Either way, the section I just added might help. tl;dr scrub it with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol

CLEANING PROTIP: The answer always involves isopropyl alcohol.

>> No.756360

>>756312

Cartridge Slot.

>> No.756365

>>756360
Then a thorough scrubbing with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol should do the trick, although you will need to clean any cartridges you use as well to maximize the benefit. If that still doesn't work, you may need to retension the slot.

>> No.756383

>>756365

Would Vinegar do?

When my Dreamcast started resetting randomly, I opened it up, and I wiped some Vinegar on q-tips on my Dreamcast connector pins, and when I started playing it again, it didn't reset.

>> No.756402

>>756383
I've never heard of anyone using vinegar before and I don't know its effect on copper, so I would caution against using it. Just get a bottle of isopropyl alcohol; they're only a few dollars, and one will last you a really long time.

>> No.756412

>>756402

I see, so apart from the isotropy alcohol there isn't any other method I could try?

>> No.756418

>>756383
>>756402
From my knowledge on Chemistry and a little research, ethanoic acid (the main component of vinegar) doesn't do much to Copper. I mean, it does nothing if after applying it you remove it completely. Over (a long period of) time, and in the presence of oxygen, it'll corrode the metal.

However, I don't know about the other chemicals in vinegar, and I might even be wrong.

>> No.756428

>>756402
>>756418

Well, I wiped it off straight after, I just remember someone saying that Vinegar can do as well, but if it corrodes the metal, then it may not be a good idea.

>> No.756446

>>756418
>>756428
The thing to keep in mind about alcohol is that it evaporates very quickly so you don't have to worry about liquid sitting in places you can't reach.

An alternative to rubbing alcohol is something like Windex.

>> No.756456

>>756446

The one with or without Ammonia, and would that evaporate quickly similar to Alcohol?

>> No.756478

>>756456
>with or without Ammonia
I never paid attention to that. My gut says to go without ammonia. I'm pretty sure the active ingredient you want in Windex is actually alcohol. As for evaporation, it's been a while since I've used it, but I think a thin layer of Windex will evaporate in just a few minutes.

>> No.756494

>>756478

Ah, okay.

So, it's just dip a bit of a q-tip in the windex, wipe the pins in the consoles cartridge slot thoroughly, let it dry, then do it to the cartridge, and test it.

If it works, then that's the problem solved, if it doesn't work, the consoles pins are fucked?

>> No.756512

>>756494
Yes, but use a toothbrush on the cartridge slot and a q-tip on the cartridges. A q-tip will not work well on the slot since you won't be able to get it very deep.

But yeah, if that doesn't work, the pins might be fucked. Could you explain the problem you're having with a bit more detail? Like, do games boot at all? Do they sit loosely in the slot?

>> No.756543

>>756512

The games boot, but sometimes I'm just greeted with a black screen, other times it'll play the game for a few seconds before freezing, the games themselves can move slightly, but I guess that's natural, you can nudge them slightly while they're in the slot, but it doesn't do much to affect the game.

Yesterday when I got the power adapter, I left Shinobi in there, and it was running flawlessly, it would play the demos, and such for about 20 minutes before I turned it off, and when I did turn it off and try it again, I started having more problems such as black screens, and freezes.

I might have bent the connector pins when I tried to fix the console in February, I accidentally slid a credit card wrapped in tissue (a method someone told me for cleaning the cartridge slot) from side to side about 3 times before I noticed I was doing it wrong, and I had to do it up and down.

>> No.756589

>>756543
It sounds like it's far from being a lost cause. I'd be surprised if a good cleaning of everything involved didn't result in significant improvement. I had similar behavior with my Genesis, but after I cleaned it, I could wiggle most cartridges back and forth in the slot without anything freezing. Of course, it's not a great idea to do that because it weakens the pins in the slot, but it feels very satisfying to do.

If you need to retension the cartridge slot, here's a good video for that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuKsbvr3PM

By the way, I emailed Damo Monster and got permission to link to his videos and website on the wiki. I haven't added any yet, but will soon when the appropriate pages are up.

>> No.756603

>>756589

Thank you Anon, I wish I could repay you and become your friend IRL or Online.

Still, I'm just happy the console turns on, at least it means it isn't broken.

>> No.756636

>>756603
It was no problem at all. The main reason I made the wiki in the first place was to help people extend the lives of their consoles. Let us know what happens after you try cleaning everything.

>> No.756694

Hey guys, by the way, I apologize if you come into the chat and I don't respond to you. The chat is in its own window, and it does nothing at all to alert me to someone being there or sending a message, and I'll forget to check it.

If what you're thinking right now is "What, there's a chat room for this?", well, there is. There's a link to it on the front page of the wiki. I'll warn you though that it's usually just me in there, idling for hours and hours.

>> No.756718

>>756636

Sure, I'll probably give an update in a few days though, so if this thread is still alive, or another one is up due to this one 404'ing. I'll post it.

>> No.757546

>>756187
I'll have to check when I get home. Posting from my BlackBerry at work, and I hadn't yet taken my 5200 out of the box, so I don't know which type of RF box it has yet. The Atari 2600 power supply is from a 4 switch model that did about 30 years of kid labor at my grandparents' home until they gave it to me.

>> No.757709

>>756142
As it says on the photos, they can be used if left as they are with the watermark. Also we're already using a few pics

>> No.758030
File: 241 KB, 1600x1200, PICT0025.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>756187
>>757546
Alright, it's the kind that plugs into the stupid RF box, model CX-522. 4 port 5200. The rear storage compartment over is snapped off. I have another 5200 in MUCH better shape SOMEWHERE in the house, as seen in this old photo.

>> No.758712

>>756428
It doesn't really corrode the metal. It has to stay there for a long period of time to do any damage, and you'll be probably retired when the damage starts to be noticeable. Ethanoic acid is a weak acid and Copper is extremely unreactive. And whoever told you was right, traditionally vinegar was used to clean all kinds of stuff. However, as >>756446 pointed out, alcohol or Windex are better options.

>> No.759371
File: 904 KB, 1458x844, console.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I added some stuff about the Atari Video Pinball. Nothing major or too in depth, but it's some basic info.

I have to go do some stuff right now, but I have some photos of the Sega Pico board ready to go when I get back. I also have a 2600 heavy sixer which is just about ready to go, so I'll put those photos up soon.

I also have pictures of the Channel F board, but it's so fucking massive that I had to take four pictures to cover everything with my shitty 2MP camera and I think it'll be too complicated to splice them together, so I'm going to hold off on that one until I can get my hands on a real camera.

>> No.759420

>>758030
I can't believe they made a console bigger than the Xbox. Is it heavier too?

>> No.759491

>>759420
The back third of it is storage for the controllers. It's not light, but it's not as heavy as the compact computer that the Xbox is.

>> No.762065

>>756187
115 pages / 300 photos

>> No.762110

>>762065
I'm glad that we have such a project to all collaborate and create something good as a community.

It's like if /v/ was a real board.

>> No.762120

>>762110
/v/ could accomplish many things as they are in greater numbers, too bad most consider COD/Halo as the first game ever made. At least we have the /vr/ safe-heaven.

>> No.762143

>>762120
I imagine still more are simply stuck in 'new /b/' mode.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a 'blue b' or /b2/ by now, you'd think it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for an imageboard to have multiple 'off-topic' boards considering 2ch has six of them IIRC. Then again, perhaps /v/ is just the blue /b/ anymore.

But that's off-topic, so I digress.

>> No.762161

>>762143
on-topic:
- need more content in the wiki, like rare console photos (especially the guts)

>> No.762263
File: 972 KB, 3000x2000, collection_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not having a room for your retro systems

>> No.762290

>>762263
You could even have shelves and be able to use the room

>> No.762304

>>762263
I wouldn't even enter the room, being afraid of stepping of something and ruining a piece of history.

>> No.762314

>>762263

the hell is with that 3D0 in the back?

>> No.762323

>>762290
I'm with this guy. Be smart about your retro room.

>> No.762363

>>762263
Hmm, pretty underground/rare systems you have there. The room looks more like an ebay trader rather than a collectioner
>club exclusiv 2000
I don't even want to know what you did to get your hands on that piece.

>> No.763572
File: 206 KB, 900x1200, not cabinets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>762290

>> No.764386
File: 549 KB, 2006x928, vb-cart-board-back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Got some Virtual Boy cart pics

>> No.764579

>>764386
haha, having the connector on the cartridge side could've been an expensive design fuckup - if the Virtual Boy have sold more than 5 units.

But that reminds me, we don't have nearly enough rom labels archived online. 8 billion roms but only a few have actual images of their ICs, or even the rom labels noted down, not counting MAME.

>> No.764627

>>764579
I'm currently testing vectoring some cartridge photos, not really great but a bit better than the original 400x300px

>> No.765465

>>764579
If someone would divide NES games into PCB layouts based on memory mappers used (I think that's how it works, usually), we could have people photograph or scan the PCBs, rather that doing this for every game ever made. Unless that, too, is a goal.

My problem is, I have a fuckload of hardware and software, but no drive to do anything, because the task is still too vague.

Also, ironically, the sun is too direct at the moment for me to photograph that TG-16 power supply, or any of my game systems that aren't covered in scratches and cigarette burns. If there was cloud cover, the sky and clouds would not clearly reflect in my whiteboard that I use as a background.

>> No.765472

>>765465
NES carts are already done that way.
http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/home.php

I'm talking about every other cart based machine out there.

>> No.765509

>>765472
Doable. I'm pretty sure /vr/ owns every game every put in a ROM. I'm not going to fuck up my Atari cartridges by ripping the label to open them, though, and my only Neo Geo cart is a pirate 38-in-1 shitfest that only has maybe 12 games on it that aren't broken.

>> No.767831

bump, we were getting dangerously close to the edge.

>> No.767863

>>767831
If only the reason was that people are too busy with the wiki...

>> No.768101

>>767831
> close to the edge

you mean like, we are in Britain, in the summertime? (HEY!)

>> No.768132

Brace yourself for maximum RAGE http://imgur.com/a/of18u

>> No.768141
File: 39 KB, 850x690, 278694121.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>694016
Hey! If you're looking for some modding and repair stuff to add to the wiki, I may be able to help.

I've done a bunch of system repairs as well as just taking things apart and taking pictures to catalog what's there to be seen.

But more on point, I've got experience with the Virtual Boy oven repair method for a malfunctioning LED display. I'll make a note to add some of that if you haven't gotten it already.

>> No.768149

>>768141
Would be great if you could add the info to the wiki.

>> No.768305

>>756636

Well I just finished cleaning up the Mega Drive, although I may have fucked it up due to my lack of knowledge with the system, but I'm still letting it dry.

Anyhow, I opened it up, and used the toothbrush on the cartridge slot, a lot of bubbles came about for some reason, but I knew windex was bubbly, so I just dismissed it, it eventually dried up, but the problem was I manually tried to dry it, I stuck some tissue in there and some pieces of it got stuck and fell to the bottom.

I got most of them out using compressed air and a paper clip to get most of it out, and then let it dry.

I put it back together, and tried a game and it sort of glitches up and freezes, it did it twice, so I'm going to let it dry a bit more hoping I didn't fuck it up, even though I think I did.

Oh, and I cleaned the cartridges too, all that fucking black dirt.

Oh, and for some reason, all my games apart from Shinobi have no sound, I've tried Sonic 1, Vectorman and Sonic 2 via a universal adapter and they don't have any sound coming out at all for some reason, would anyone know why?

>> No.768361

>>768305
1. dont ever stick paper into the cartridge slot as it's a bitch to remove
2. be sure it's well dried before plugging it; as in leave it somewhere warm for 2 hours minimum. (I dropped my phone in the sink and even though i disassembled, dried it with a hairblower and it seemed dry, once i started shaking it small drops of water were still falling.)
3. was it working prior to the cleaning?

>> No.768373

>>768361

1) Yeah, I know it fucking is, I just hope I got it all out.

2) Hmm, okay well I put it back together again, and I've just left it where I had it last, do you think I should leave it somewhere warmer, under a pillow or something?

3) Yes it was, the games were just freezing and sound didn't come out for some of the games.

>> No.768382

>>768373
Not "under" anything if you want anything to dry. Just out in the air/sun.

Either a bad solder connection or a short-circuit.

>> No.768389

>>768382

Ah okay, well I guess I'll just leave it where it is, I might put it on a shelf or something so it'll dry.

>> No.768505

>>768132
It's just a power supply. There's no neat way to get into most of them unless you use a Dremel tool to crack them open with a wheel cutter. Better than simply throwing them out.

>>768389
If you have the alcohol to spare, you can use that to flush out the stray paper, and use a needle or a knife to gently dislodge anything stuck in the cart slot. Also spray contact cleaner can be used pretty liberally, though in many cases there is not much need for it. The wiki has a pretty good set of leaning guides on it, but any improvements or additions will forever be welcome. I tried to record a guide on cleaning controllers, but my cheap Chinese video capture card (1 star on Newegg, lol) sucks at video from nearly every VHS tape I use, making the video skip and run micro-loops for no reason, when playing the tape through to an actual TV has no such issues. Maybe I'll rig up a shim and attach my phone to it. All I need is a nut of the proper threading for tripod mounts, and some plastic or wood, to form into a drop-in slotted frame. Sounds like a trip to Lowe's is in order.

>> No.768546
File: 125 KB, 500x750, ccamwip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I should finish the crystal clear audio mod (CCAM) for my MD2 later - pic related is where I'm up to so far. I've been checking the wiki every few days and I see there's still a lack of info on Mega Drive mods. I'm not sure where you want the link, but I could add some info and some diagrams collected from around Sega forums to make a sort of guide for doing this

>> No.768567

>>768546
Ergh. The CCAM is what is making me seriously consider getting back into board etching, as solder bridging and masses of jumpers are an inelegant solution. Information from wherever is cool, but we don't want copy-paste from other sites without explicit blessings.

Still, kudos for having more initiative than myself! I have a Genesis 2 that's full of loose components for an s-video mod that I cannot be assed to finish, after five years.

>> No.768671

>>768567

Yeah, you're right. It is inelegant and it takes a long time too because it's so awkward

I want to PM a guy from the sega-16 forums to ask permission to use his diagrams on the wiki, but for some reason although I've never had an account there my email is banned from registering... I emailed the admin a couple of weeks ago but I haven't heard anything back

You should finish the s-video mod! You just need to get started and then it'll be smooth sailing

>> No.768728

>>768671
Let's hope you're lucky. We definitely need more on hardware mods; also stuff on software and programming, but that's another issue.
Thing is, most of what the wiki has now can be found on wikipedia, except, basically, for the cleaning and console-opening articles.

>> No.768781

>>768728
Most of what's already up is just skeletal data, to give the wiki a framework so that more exotic information can be added without being ten billion random articles with no parent articles.

>> No.769487

>>768305
Oh dear... you used Windex on the pin connector?

Windex is a big no-no. It's a fairly abrasive liquid (same reason you shouldn't use it on glasses) and can leave a residue behind. Not to mention it dries much slower than isopropyl alcohol. And if you've also got paper in there...

When cleaning pin connectors of any stripe you should use isopropyl alcohol. I use the 91% mixture and haven't encountered any issues. Like others have said, make sure it dries. Don't use anything else and don't waste money on special solutions marketed toward game collectors.

>> No.769710

>>768546
who's got the CCAM schematics?

>> No.770089

>>768141
All we have for the Virtual Boy is that cartridge board photo, so that be a great addition to the wiki.

>>768546
I was going to do this before I found a model 1 with a VA4 board. This would be great to have on the wiki as well.

What the wiki really needs is more guides, especially for mods and repairs. Right now the breakdown of the guides on the wiki is
>2 teardowns
>1 repair
>0 mods
>1 general advice article (cleaning)

For those of you who want to submit a guide and aren't sure where to link it, you should add a link on the article for the console. Either make a sections for the guide category (repairs, mods, etc.) or add it to a "see also" or "related links" section at the bottom. You should also add a link to the appropriate list. On the front page I've added links to a list of repairs and a list of teardowns. When mods start being added, that list will also be created.

>> No.770675

>>768546

What the fuck is with these MD mods? That is an absolutely ridiculous number of discreet components for an audio filter.

>> No.770693

>>749231
>Carmackula
It was too perfect. It had to be requested.
And delivered!
>>>/vg/37691082

>> No.771651

>>770089
We could always ask http://forums.modretro.com/ for help and support, as we already asked Reddit and Atariage. I've never really been into this forum but on the surface it's kinda nice. Let's see if there's any luck.

>> No.771963

>>771651
It's funny to see how many people posted on every thread / link that they would help the wiki by maintaining a certain console or article, but in reality they made one single edit and never came back.

>> No.772037

>>769710
The scematics are here: http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/t33-tiido-priimagi-s-crystal-clear-audio-mod#37

And the diagrams of the layout I'm following are here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7686-Crystal-Clear-Audio-Mod-for-Sega-Mega-Drive-2-amp-Genesis-2-version-1-0&p=511814&viewfull=1#post511814

>> No.772072

>>771963
You mean in the threads of the forums, or in this one?

>> No.772196

>>772072
On reddit i think there were 3-4 people eager to help, of which one did an edit and never seen him again.

At least on this thread we back-up words with actions.

>> No.772230

>>772196
Oh okay. Yes, you're right. Not much came out of other places we've asked helped for. But I guess one more try won't do wrong, and anyway, if they don't help directly, we can still use it as a source of information for lesser-known mods or whatnot (I don't think /vr/ needs help on normal or well-known mods).
Although after looking into them further it isn't like it's the modders' paradise or anything.

>> No.772358
File: 167 KB, 596x840, ps1manual1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>750407
I am forever jealous I can't have this for a PS1.

>> No.772562

Too many of my consoles are unpresentable and unfit for "hero" photography, but tomorrow I should be able to take more photos, since Friday is my only true day off.

My Virtual Boy has no stand, and won't power up anymore. Might be a capacitor issue, but I am loathe to take it apart, index capacitors, buy them, install them, for what is likely to be a waste of effort. Leave it to me to find the cloud in front of the silver lining. It's on my to-do list, though. I'll try to document it if I get to repairing it.

I'll try to get the TG-16 stuff done today, but I don't have time to get any mainboard pictures as the RF shield is partially soldered on, and I'd rather not take that thing off until I'm ready to add s-video to the system.

But I'm still slooooooowly contributing. Hard part is, I'm not good at writing wiki-style articles. Or anything other than meandering head-trips.

>> No.772663

>>772562
> I'm not good at writing wiki-style articles
Even a few points thrown there are ok. Someone else will "consolidate" the info into something more readable at a later point.

>> No.772701
File: 457 KB, 640x960, aISo6sE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>703551
Doesn't anyone have a capture card?

>> No.772738

>>772701
Most people don't. I do, but its usefulness is limited.

>> No.772854

>>772701

>that stage

Which Mega Man game is this? It looks interesting.

>> No.772902

>>772854
Mega Man X.

>> No.773112
File: 1.69 MB, 2592x1936, dc-interact-light-gun-02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got some free time today so I'm gonna work on getting more content up. I'll flesh out the controller cleaning section later, but right now I'm in the mood to work on my Dreamcast's "Interact StarFire LightBlaster" light gun which just doesn't work. I picked it up a few months ago because I've always wanted to play House of the Dead 2 with a light gun, but you have to rapid fire and point all over the screen just to register one shot. HotD2 is the only light gun game I have to test with, and I can't even get past the gun calibration screen. I usually can shoot the target in the upper-left corner, but not the lower-right except after intense rapid fire. If I soft-reset and try to recalibrate, I can't even shoot the upper-left corner. If I manage to get to the screen that lets you see where you're aiming, I get a very jittery crosshair that randomly jumps off the screen and that moves up as I angle the gun down.

I haven't been able to find any info yet regarding repairs for this light gun or really any light gun for that matter. This is the only relevant thread I've found, which describes my problem exactly but only gives customer service level advice (play in a dark room, clean the lens, etc.) : http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/93781-Dreamcast-lightgun-Problem

Since this seems to be a common problem, I'm wondering what else it could be and that it might not be a problem with the light gun itself. I've tried 2 different CRTs, but I've been using a VGA adapter (and outputting composite or s-video), so maybe it does something to fuck with the video signal. I'm looking for my regular composite A/V cable to test with but no luck so far finding it.

>>771963
I figured that was to be expected. And least we spread awareness of the wiki. On the bright side, the wiki can only grow; it doesn't matter if it's slow at first as long as it's not completely forgotten.

This thread is getting close to maxing out. I'll make a new thread once we get around 450 posts.

>> No.773208

>>772701
>>703551
The scrolling diagonal lines come not from the cable, but the fact that you are using a camera to record the TV screen. If I take a picture of my FullHD plasma driven with HDMI out from my computer, I also get those lines.

Some minor "ghost" overlay can indeed come from poorly shielded cables though, but not the diagonal stuff in that picture - and you have to use really, really fucking weak cables to have that kind of interference.

Now SCART however, that one is a total bitch to properly shield interference out of.

>> No.773737

NESGuy here again, sorry I took so long getting internal photos. I'm making up for lost time now though, currently touching up pics for the wiki. Some are too large to post here so I'm going to make a zip folder and upload everything to a download spot, or I'll just put them up myself. Either way just give me a shout if there needs to be more photos, better photos, etc. and I'll see what I can do.

>> No.773847

>>697374
>Genesis
Surprised nobody replied, but the Genesis never got an official S-video cable. You'd have to mod it.

>>699974
>SVHS connector
Nintendo of America c. 1991, do you see what you've done?!

>> No.774101 [DELETED] 

>>773847
>Genesis never got an official S-video cable
Not the model 1, but the model 2 did. I have one.

>> No.774260

>>773737

http://www.mediafire.com/download/911hr7rggy0usjo/keepers.rar

Okay, here's a zip archive of pictures of NES internals. I labeled them in the filename, and touched them up some, but other than that they're pretty as-is. If you need any more pics let me know and I'll take care of it.

I know that I want to go back and get some better pics of the IOCorner (A/V Out and Power) as well as the connection points for the Expansion Port. Also, if you can help me see which chip is the lockout chip (I have forgotten over the years) then I can get detailed pics of that and maybe tear open my already-modded NES and take a pic of that as well, make a quick and dirty lockout mod guide.

>> No.774694

>>773208
>The scrolling diagonal lines come not from the cable, but the fact that you are using a camera

The lines are visible to the naked eye and are not the sort of side-effect (like the screen refresh) normally captured only by recording/photography.

>you have to use really, really fucking weak cables to have that kind of interference.

The interference isn't coming from outside the cable. It's coming from the fact that the cable is incorrectly pushing the ENTIRE COMPOSITE SIGNAL to the Luminance pin on the TV's svideo input.

>> No.774863

>>774860
http://retroconsoles.wikia.com/wiki/Neo_Geo_Pocket_Color

forgot page

>> No.774860
File: 892 KB, 2592x1944, CameraZOOM-20130606210250839.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just added this page plus some board pics. NEEDS updating, as it is all just from Wikipedia, but I just got a NGPC today, and decided to take board pics with it.

pic related. Already uploaded the board pics to the wiki

>> No.775076

>>774260
Thank you, got the photos, and edited them lossless-ish to occupy less space. I will upload a few of them (mainly the mainboard) and the rest can go into the tear-down section i suppose.

>> No.775084

>>774260
The NES locking circuit is on the cartridge...

>> No.775097

>>775084

Those couple to an IC in the console (10NES).

>> No.775109

>>775097
Ah, ok then... in your photos, there is a chip marked 3198A (has 2 capacitors under it). That's the lock-out.

>> No.775283

If you guys have any "underground" consoles (specially pongs) a photo of their logo (and name if it features any type of style) would be appreciated a lot.

There are lots of company logo's which only have 120x50px gifs online and it's making my goal of turning them into SVGs a living hell by retracing them manually (nobody seems to have attempted this for older systems, newer ones have logos all over the internet).

Example of "style" manually retraced from a crappy 150x70 px GIF
http://images.wikia.com/retroconsoles/images/9/91/Mentor_logo.png

>> No.775312

>>775283
I have a version of the DMS Tele-Sports pong system called Tele-Action Mini. Looks identical to this, but instead of SPORTS, it says ACTION.
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=3&c=680

Only Pong system I own, and apparently it was one of the last released. I'll put it in the photo queue with my TG-16, provided the weather doesn't suck butts tomorrow. Old Computers also needs more photos and info, so perhaps we should not only update our wiki, but contribute to Old Computers' database as well? I've been going there for over ten years.

>> No.775314

>>694016
Hey OP, we could form a partnership with http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki//v/%27s_Recommended_Games_Wiki
We link the game section of our console to theirs "aka read more about the games here" and they could link "for technical information click this".

As much as /vr/ supposedly dislikes /v/ we have a common-ish goal here as they have games for consoles ranging from the PS3 to the NES.

>> No.775340

>>775312
That's basically where i find the old logos using google. Perhaps they have higher res "gifs" than what's on the website which i could use.

I sent them an e-mail regarding this. Now I'll just wait i guess.

Damn that DMS is pretty rare. http://www.pong-picture-page.de/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=44

>> No.775478

>>775340
>Damn that DMS is pretty rare.
Doesn't seem to be terribly rare since one can be had on eBay right this minute for fifteen moneys. Six goddamn AA cells. I'd record video of it in action, but it appears to be dead. No video. Not like it would be impossible to repair, but it's yet another case of CBA.

>> No.775594

>>743762
>What third party cables are good though?

The other guy is embellishing. There are several good third-party s-video cables for Nintendo's pre-Wii multi-av port. Most of the best-designed ones were made during the GameCube era for sale in the U.S.

I have Monster 300s for my SNES, N64, and GCN (Monster-bashers, save it - as long as you don't overspend and you realize that their technical marketing is all fairy tales, they're nice and durable cables with a *legit* lifetime warranty). The Monster 100 was a combo s-video/composite cable and I have one (or several) still sealed somewhere, but since I've never actually taken one out of the package, I can't personally attest as to whether it was wired properly for Y and C with composite completely isolated from both. Those kinds of cables are pointless anyway, unless you often move your system back and forth between displays with a different input type.

>>774694
>+ other posts upthread
Guys, the term is "cross-chrominance." The visual effect is similar to moire but is actually an artifact of the Y and C interfering with each other. It's the reason you do *not* want to use something passive like this when converting s-video to composite: >>695270

>> No.775627

>>775594
You're still getting merchanted when you buy Monster cables from anywhere but the "wires 'n cables" bin at Ye Olde Thrifte Shoppe, Nowe Withe Moere Eeeeese.

Anybutts, my 3rd-party no-name multi-system s-video cables are 2legit2quit, though my PS3 didn't like them for audio for some reason. Of course that POS3 is out for repairs after a run-in with an abusive previous owner. Poor baby.

Maybe about time for a new thread? I forget what the bump limit is, but it can't be too much more. Off to sleep for now, as the sun is rising, and I detest the day.

>> No.775678

>>775627
Mine were all purchased from an authorized dealer with packaging and codes intact for less than Nintendo first-party cables. So I saved money, the cables are more durable, and the warranty is intact. If any of them go bad near the connectors and I choose to forgo Monster's warranty, I can also repair it myself without wasting the RCA and mini-din connectors and buying new ones, because they are the reusable screw-on type.

>multi-system s-video cables
Dude! No thanks. The artifacts that these cables produce is called "ringing." This is when the signal travels throughout the entire length of the unterminated cable, including the connectors for the other systems (whether systems are connected to them or not), and the reflections of the signal back to your display from each of these unterminated points produce mild to severe ghosting or doubled edges. An ideal video cable has two ends, and that's it. Say no to multi-system cables, my friend!

>> No.776093

NEW THREAD >>776092