[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 321 KB, 800x1016, 21771-star-control-ii-dos-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6750529 No.6750529 [Reply] [Original]

/vr/, I'm a zoomer who doesn't know enough about the retro world of gaming. But I recently finished Star Control 2 and... damn. This game had a sense of freedom and exploration I've just never felt in other games.

Where do I go from here? I've always been curious about the first System Shock game, would that be an okay next game?

>> No.6750538

>>6750529
System Shock 1 is an absolute gem imo, but it plays like a futuristic dungeon crawler rather than an fps with traditional controls.

>> No.6750558

>>6750538
>but it plays like a futuristic dungeon crawler rather than an fps with traditional controls
That might be okay. SC2 was a bit odd at first, but I eventually got use to it. Though things seem quite a bit more complex in system shock 1

>> No.6750592

>>6750529

Fallout 1 gives a strong feeling of freedom while also, like Star Control II, having an interesting story for you to discover.

In a sense, almost every game is blown away in this respect by NetHack, so maybe try that if you can muster a sufficiently enduring resolve to accept its learning curve. (Or maybe you've already had that kind of aesthetic virginity taken away by the likes of Spelunky.)

>> No.6750614

>>6750558
Complex? Yeah, considering movement, i.e. turning, strafing, leaning, crouching, looking up/down, UI management, puzzle/problem solving, and cyberspace segments. Can be a handful at first but gets better with time

>> No.6750813
File: 12 KB, 320x200, DreamWeb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6750558
Since you played SCII all the way through you'll handle just about any computer game of the era, but I'd recommend going with the System Shock: Enhanced edition as the controls are a lot better than the original, they've been the major source of complaints about this game since day one.

It's got a really great dark lofi grainy aesthetic and along with a strange mix of exploration and survival it creates a really unique atmosphere. It was an instant cult classic.

I'd also recommend you look into DreamWeb on the PC/Amiga, it's also a very atmospheric game with a lofi pixel cyberpunk aesthetic, it's a point and click adventure in most sense but in a unique way, so don't let that deter you if you don't like that genera. It's freeware and can be played on the ScummVM engine.

>> No.6751106

>>6750529
Deus Ex 1 is better than any of the System Shock games.

>> No.6751298

>>6751106
True, but that's in large part because it was very influenced by the System Shock games and further built upon them with the advantage of being a more modern game at release.

But the OP has an interest in playing System Shock 1 and it certainly is a game very worth playing through in it's own right, and he should definitely take the plunge, it's one of those mile stones in PC gaming and a certified cult classic.