Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 103 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690282 No.6690282 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Why do people give so much shit for N64 graphics "looking bad" when PS1 games looked considerably worse?

>> No.6690290

Console warring, faux nostalgia by zoomers (fueled also by modern console wars)... not much else.

>> No.6690293

Because Nintendo is bad.

>> No.6690294

You do know that Sega fanboys would side with Sony just to shit on retro Nintendo right?

>> No.6690295
File: 235 KB, 960x720, 52528-WipEout_2097_(E)-1482928766.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690295

Blurry visuals and lack of glow FX, the N64 couldn't do any of those visual FX that the PS1 could like glows, addictive transparencies, particle effects, buffer effects, etc

>> No.6690297

I don't get it either. I like the smooth look of the N64 more than the jerky jagged look of the Playstation. I think most people at the time felt the same way, which is why they would often sacrifice a good framerate to achieve it.

>> No.6690301

>>6690294
Sega fan here. Nintendo was a more honest rival.
Sony was just the rich guy who forced his own place in the industry by just having more money.

>> No.6690305
File: 413 KB, 800x600, wipeout-64-09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690305

Look at the light trail, it's opaque because the N64 couldn't do glows.

>> No.6690307

>>6690301
There's some really weird Stolar schizos that would side with anyone to hate on Nintendo.

>> No.6690308

>>6690301
And a better product.

>> No.6690310

>>6690305
ok. The 3D isn't juddering all over the screen though.

>> No.6690313
File: 79 KB, 1280x720, SS Wipeout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690313

Saturn is by far the shittiest, they actually used a mesh for the light trail lmao

>> No.6690314

>>6690307
>schizos
It's just 1 guy, and he just doesn't even like console gaming anyway. His bitterness about Nintendo is because he's super mad about the 1983 crash narrative about "nintendo saving video games" while people ignore euro computer stuff.

>> No.6690319

>>6690305
The lines on the floor look straight though. Look at the zig-zag shit on the PS1.
Anyway, N64 was released almost 2 years after the PS1, it's not exactly a surprise that it had more solid 3D that didn't seem like it was an origami that would collapse any time.

>> No.6690326

>>6690313
Stretched screenshot from a youtube video, but still I think this looks better than the PS1.
I can live without some glow effects if that means the 3D is better.

>> No.6690330

>>6690307
Yeah, I've met one of those. Literally autistic. Would get loudly annoyed if you referenced Mario in a positive light, and had to inform you that Sonic and Crash Bandicoot were better,
What the fuck, man?, you're almost 30. Get over it.

>> No.6690332

>>6690282
>Why do people give so much shit for N64 graphics "looking bad" when PS1 games looked considerably worse?
Why post a pic of game that came out before the 64 even debuted? Wouldn't something like wipeout 3 be a better comparison? Also am I crazy or is the Saturn wipeout better than the psx version?

>> No.6690337

>>6690314
He's an OI ME SPECCY nigger?

>> No.6690338

The n64s blurry textures looked like it had applied gallons of vaseline ready for the ass fucking of the century

>> No.6690342

>>6690295
So you're saying PS1 is more powerful?

>> No.6690347
File: 151 KB, 320x240, goemon-4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690347

>>6690338
looks fine to me

>> No.6690348

>>6690305
?

>> No.6690350

>>6690330
It's fucking hilarious because Sony was responsible for Sega's death. Nintendo alone would have never driven them out of business. They can blame it on Nintendo fucking over Sony but eh

>> No.6690360

>>6690338
>Vaseline
Ah yes the go to complaint for shitters

>> No.6690361

>>6690347
Yeah the console is infamous for being blurry as fuck in part due to its shitty memory handling of textures and demented implementation of anti aliasing but you know that already you fuck stick

>> No.6690364
File: 193 KB, 500x387, goemon2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690364

>>6690361
mhm.

>> No.6690367

>>6690360
Sorry your shit box outputs video that resembles the view out of a dead man's cataracts

>> No.6690369

>>6690364
Ah yes took that screenshot on real hardware did you

>> No.6690373

>>6690367
Let me guess, you use a PVM or RGB modded a CRT

>> No.6690376
File: 466 KB, 608x416, Goe1460820-gorgeousmc02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690376

>>6690369
If anything it'd look even better since it'd be less stretched.

>> No.6690380

>>6690373
I astral project into the minds of the original designers in order to see in their minds eye their true intention of how the game should look

>> No.6690393

>>6690282
Probably because PS1 stuff cleans up really nicely on emulators and that's how most people are playing those games these days instead of original hardware.

>> No.6690394

>>6690380
The only actual issues is the low frame rate and the low res textures

>> No.6690404

N64 was a more expensive console back then. Not the system itself, but the games were expensive.
There was a clear social division between N64 kids and PlayStation kids. Over time, the PS kids developed resentful feelings toward N64 users, and in turn, projected said feelings toward the system itself and its games.
They're also probably angry about the fact that, despite N64 having a smaller library, people talk more about N64 games compared to PS games. Or at least the discussion is pretty even. In their minds, they can't comprehend that a system that sold much less and has so much less titles is basically on par (if not more) in terms of popularity.
As someone who isn't a big fan of 5th gen in general, I can say that you can be cruel about any of the 3 system's graphics, if you want to, but all 3 systems got some really good games. I just think the notion of PS being "the winner" and having a seemingly unlimited library damaged the Sony fan's perception, because on one hand they think that they are immune to criticism due to PS being the "winner" of the generation, so there's a sort of short circuit going on in their heads when that narratives isn't reflected in reality (people actually having as much love for the N64 as for the PS)

>> No.6690405

>>6690294
The Sega fanboys I knew switched over to microsoft out of hatred of both Nintendo and Sony.

>> No.6690407

>>6690282
Not wanting to pull that bullshit, but I guess both are bad on their own manners

>> No.6690413

>>6690405
I wonder where Sega fanboys shall go when Microsoft stops with Xbox?

>> No.6690415

>>6690413
Playing on PC probably

>> No.6690419

>>6690405
western Sega fans maybe.
In Japan, Sega fans are cool with Nintendo. The real enemy is Sony, always was.
Microsoft is not even a big factor over there to have into account.

>> No.6690428

....sega is going to come back someday
r-right bros?

>> No.6690432

>>6690428
The first Xbox was the last SEGA console

>> No.6690438

>>6690428
It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen, Sega already participated during the best era of home video games, the 4th gen. Sony fans wish they had a 4th gen system.
>>6690432
Never. Sega's games were split between Xbox, GC and PS2, but none of them is a Sega console.

>> No.6690446
File: 369 KB, 500x494, 646631235.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6690446

>>6690438
>It doesn't matter if it doesn't happen, Sega already participated during the best era of home video games, the 4th gen. Sony fans wish they had a 4th gen system.
It's unfair. I want the death of Sony, bros... I mean, not like Sega would destroy them, but still

>> No.6690448

>>6690438
>panzer dragoon
>jet set radio
>toe jam and earl
Just to name a few exclusives

>> No.6690452

>>6690376
>oh yeas gotta love the ugly fucky outline bug effect from emulators given to sprites.

>> No.6690454

>>6690428
What would we really get out of it at this point? Do you want to buy another piece of plastic just for a measly handful of games?

>> No.6690459

>>6690342
Yes, solely because the n64 is an architectural disaster and despite it being basically 3 times faster on paper in practice it came short every time.

>> No.6690465

>>6690452
Yeah N64 emulating has always been iffy but parallel is way more accurate now

>> No.6690472

>>6690282
>Holy shit why do PS1 games look so bad, look here's a PS1 game from 1995 before the N64 was even released to prove my point

>> No.6690494

>>6690472
>d-doesnt count

>> No.6690838

>>6690295
>>6690305
>emulated screenshots
End urself my man.

>> No.6690852

>>6690282
I imagine the haters like textures better than gouraud shading.

>> No.6690873

>>6690852
I can think of many instances of gouraud shading beyond Mario 64 and maybe Kirby 64?

>> No.6690876

>>6690282
Because they are retards

>>6690301
Feelspost. nice

>> No.6690880

>>6690404
one of the best and most objective descriptions of the 5th gen situation, thanks.

>> No.6690965

>>6690428
They aren't coming back. Each passing gen I feel more and more like console games are dying. But maybe I'm just getting older.

>> No.6691419

>>6690310
vertex jitter is something that is only really noticeable with very small movements, if you're playing a game normally and not just messing around seeing how slowly you can make the camera turn around, it's really not that visible

>> No.6691426

why does everyone talk about wipeout, but not rollcage?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dDuePOa20

>> No.6691432

>>6690282
apples and oranges. PSX could push more polygons, N64 had perspective correct texturing. Both had merits, both had drawbacks. both were successful in their own rights

>> No.6691438

>>6690313
ps1 always looks the worst for any game. Saturn TombRaider has better graphics than the PSX TombRaider.

>> No.6691443

>>6691426
because sony fans don't know what games are. All they care about are trailers

>> No.6691458
File: 2.93 MB, 584x476, Tomb Raider Saturn JUST 2.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691458

>>6691438
>Saturn TombRaider has better graphics than the PSX TombRaider.

>> No.6691478
File: 280 KB, 720x480, 1578201299127.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691478

>>6691438
>>6691458

>> No.6691483
File: 2.94 MB, 584x476, Tomb Raider Saturn combat.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691483

>>6691478

>> No.6691484
File: 313 KB, 720x480, 1578201154452.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691484

>>6691438
>>6691458
>SONY

>> No.6691494

>>6691443
what?

>> No.6691558

>>6690282
Unironically that looks much better than N64

>> No.6691732

>>6690282
nice cherry pick pic :^)
you probably never saw Wipeout 3 running on a RGB CRT in perso

game's still beautiful to this day

>> No.6691779

Just admit that Nintendo lost to Sony. You will start to feel better soon.

>> No.6691783

>>6691779
Or the other way around, just admit that just because Sony forced their way into the industry, that doesn't mean that saturn and N64 are bad consoles like sony loyalists want people to believe.

>> No.6691794

>>6690282
>how to tell it’s a zoomer thread
Puerile console wars bullshit

>> No.6691798

>>6691783
They are certainly not bad if you set your standards low enough

>> No.6691801

euthanize ninteniggers

>> No.6691818

>>6691798
Classic sonygger

>> No.6691830

>>6691818
>being this childish
Stop browsing 4chan if you can't handle opinions

>> No.6691846

>>6691432
>PSX could push more polygons
Wrong by a wide margin, N64 pushed more polys

>> No.6691852

>>6691830
I even like the ps1 too, I just think sonyggers are the most uneducated of the video game population.
>my console sold more (high failure rate ensued many people bought the system twice if not thrice, since anyway games were cheap or free thanks to piracy) meams it's the best and the competition sucks!
Reality is that saturn and N64 still have many of the best 5th gen titles, much to sony fans' dismay.

>> No.6691863

Because one was released in 94 and the other looked worse several years after.
Also the playstation had games. 64 didnt outside of nintendo IPs. Dont forget frame rate. 64 games usually have crappy frames and shiity graphics.

>> No.6691868

>>6691852
Sounds to me like you are making up a bunch of conspiracies on why PSX was supposedly bad in order to justify your hate of the sony fanbase. It is common knowledge that the PS1 had better titles than its rivals and did more to progress videogaming than them.

>> No.6691870
File: 448 KB, 577x390, wr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691870

>>6690295
Who needs glow when you have devs who who do wave physics in 1996 that are still unmatched in 2020

>> No.6691874

>>6691868
>PS1 had better titles than its rivals and did more to progress
Except several N64 games belong on Greatest Games of All Times lists while PSX is clogged full of mostly shovelware. 1000+ games doesn't come without a drawback. Quality>Quantity.

>> No.6691882

>>6691868
>PSX
>PS1
Nice schizoposting there

>> No.6691883

>>6691863
>PSX had games
outside of Squaresoft IPs, no.

>> No.6691893

>>6691874
Nah dude, these lists are made by nintendo fanboys like yourself. The cold, hard facts are that Sony won.
>Quality>Quantity.
Funny, because PS1 had both.

>>6691882
Sorry if I triggered your autism.

>> No.6691903

>>6691893
>Funny, because PS1 had both.
Unless you're an incel faggot, you didn't play even a third of the library. And if you're a disingenuous faggot you'll say a majority of it good. Outside of Square/Konami, there's jack shit. True games players know Sonys place.

>> No.6691909

>>6691893
See? You sony cockroaches are obsessed with "sony won".
No shit sony "won" they owned the CD factories, sega had no chance despite being a more honest video game company and not a monster corporation that had its tentacles in all sort of media.

>> No.6691926

>>6691903
>if you haven't played the entire console library you can't praise it!
The thing is that PSX had so many games I can choose what to play based on my tastes. The N64 had like a dozen games so it's very easy for you to gloat that you have played the entire N64 library and you can be """objective""" about it.
I can safely say that based on my experiences with PSX games and with the use of simple mathematics, we can arrive to the conclusion that the entire PSX library is at the very worst above average.

> True games players know Sonys place.
Yes, at the very top.

>>6691909
Shouldn't you be jacking off to cartoon hedgehog porn? Sega lost, get over it.

>> No.6691935

>>6691926
>300+ games
>a dozen
imagine being a disingenuous sonygger thinking that having a library mostly chock full of shit you'll never play is what makes something good
>muh variety of game tastes
only a handful of games in any library are actually good. 90% of everything is shit. Nintendo just cut the fat.

>> No.6691948

>>6691883
There are game genres outside of nip shit frendo.
Sony reaped the fruits of the western devs having computer science skills due to popularity of home computing. Nintendo aside from a few cases kept most thing nice and nippy.

>> No.6691949

>>6691935
Sorry, unless you can provide me proof that you have played the entirety of those....300+ (lol) games, you are in no position to be in this thread.
I'll be waiting for a bit. Don't disappoint me.

>only a handful of games in any library are actually good. 90% of everything is shit
In a non-Sony console library, you mean.

> Nintendo just cut the fat.
They also cut the profits and the good games.

>> No.6691968

>>6691949
1000+ games is pointless if the number of good games is certainly no more than the N64s number of good games.

>> No.6691973

>>6691948
PS1 is literally the home to tons of JRPGS, they make up most of your so called best games. most of which aged like milk and are so antiquated they aren't fun to play, unlike Mario 64.

>> No.6691982

>>6691968
Still waiting for that proof. I don't think you know how arguing works.

>>6691973
>Mario 64
>not aged like milk
lol Crash Bandicoot was light-years ahead of Mario 64.

>> No.6691989
File: 203 KB, 778x602, space_harrier_compared.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6691989

>>6690282
Gen zitter myself, I honestly just got used to the graphics after a short while and appreciate the technology despite it being outdated. I like to imagine or research how the 3D models were made and I appreciate the labor put into them. Zitters have placebo effect issues, everyone else says PS1 GOOD so they get delutions that it does look better. PS1 is more well known, so the association cause the placebo of imagining the graphics look better than they really are comapred to N64, it is also lack of understanding in the area.

I had social engineering classes, and it was pointed out that when people were given coke and pepsi, without the label, everyone preferred pepsi for the taste. But when they did the same thing with the labels visible, everyone suddenly said that coke tasted better due to associations of "coke more popular therefor coke = good. Pepsi = bad." Same situation here.

>> No.6692015

>>6691973
>PS1 is literally the home to tons of JRPGS, they make up most of your so called best games
No, this isn't the truth. Only people who have never played a PS1 say this.

>> No.6692017

>>6692015
>Only people who have never played a PS1 say this.
Or ninteniggers as I like to call them

>> No.6692051

>>6691989
that nes title screen is awful!

>> No.6692090

>>6691989
The only problem with your theory is that it is fact that ps1 looks better than its rivals.

>> No.6692110

>>6691973
lol, i only owned one jrpg for my playstation

>> No.6692124

>>6692090
Not really, Saturn had better 2D and N64 had better 3D
>b-b-but muh glaring effects!

>> No.6692131

>>6692124
Too bad both of them looked like shit lol

>> No.6692140

>>6692131
hahha right? high-five fellow SONY fan!

>> No.6692148

>>6692140
Thanks bro. One day the nintendo fanboys will not shitpost so much. We will make them learn.

>> No.6692149

64 had large open spaces the PS1 couldn't do. It's only fairly recent you can emulate properly what the actual output looked like.
It is blurry with their texture filtering and the blur applied to the output. The harshness of the PS1 with differing does have more of a retro feel I guess

>> No.6692150

>>6692148
hell yeah, fuck nintendo, fuck sega and fuck video games.
long live sony and movies!

>> No.6692156

>>6692150
Yes.

>> No.6692178

>>6692124
Saturn did not have better 2D, the thing could not even do transparency

>> No.6692179
File: 551 KB, 500x375, bof3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692179

Show me a nintendo 64 game that looks better than this.

>> No.6692184
File: 308 KB, 1600x1200, vampire-savior-disc-only-edition-sega-saturn-ss-japan-game-vg-condition-94118b7f7ef14971c8656d12fd380f1e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692184

>>6692178
>muh transparencies!
awful sony cope

>> No.6692187
File: 194 KB, 391x307, wonderPj2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692187

>>6692179
N64 has some good 2D games like pic related, but its forte was 3D.
If you want the best 2D of 5th gen, you must look into Saturn, check out Princess Crown or Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari
BOF3 has some really cool setpieces and sprites, although a lot of it is also a weird mish-mash of low poly stuff and lots of brown.

>> No.6692192

>>6691982
>lol Crash Bandicoot was light-years ahead of Mario 64.
crash bandicoot barely counts as a 3D game since the entire thing is on rails. are you a fucking retard?

>> No.6692195

>>6692192
>IT'S NOT 3D BECAUSE....BECAUSE I SAID SO!

>> No.6692196

>>6692179
bitch I can show you SNES games that looks better than that.

>> No.6692208

>>6692184
I am an Idort, I have all 3 systems and like them for the games but the Saturn is not better at 2D

>> No.6692216

>>6692208
ok

>> No.6692223

>>6692216
I will agree it’s arcade ports were better though

>> No.6692226

>>6692196
No, you can't.

>> No.6692253

>>6692179
This has to be a joke. There is no way someone could actually be this dumb.

>> No.6692262

>>6692253
It's just irony bro, Capcom are famous for their subpar pixel art.

>> No.6692276

>>6692253
Is this a meme that people think BoF4 is an ugly game?

>> No.6692278

>>6692195
Having a fixed camera did wonders for Crash's performance. It meant they could precompute all the Z sorting and occlusion. It even let them do per-pixel occlusion for polygons occluded by textures with transparencies. That would have been unthinkable to do at runtime. Crash is basically half-prerendered. According to the devs themselves, it let them have 3x as many polygons as they could have had with a free camera. It also let them stream huge levels that were several times larger than memory. Crash was a 3D game, but comparing it graphically to a free-roaming 3D game like Mario is stupid. There was no way you could make a free roaming game like Mario 64 that looked as good as Crash and ran on the PlayStation.

>> No.6692320

Man i really hate 4chans seemingly inherent hatred of the 64. I grew up with that baby though. Anyway perfect dark looks better than anything the ps1 had. One last thing, the controller IS NOT as impossible as everybody shitposts about. LEFT HAND ON MIDDLE GRIP, RIGHT HAND ON RIGHT GRIP, LEFT THUMB CONTROLS MOVEMENT. Not hard. Now an honest question to you ps1 chads. How did you put up with a fuckin d pad?

>> No.6692332

>>6692320
I always thought Nintendo fans were defensive, but it increasingly seems like Sonyfags just can't deal with people liking the opposition at all. Where does this behaviour even come from? It's bizarre.

>> No.6692347

>>6691870
Even if its more impressive technically, it still looks less appealing.

>> No.6692351

>>6690438
The Xbox was Sega's dumping ground for cancelled Dreamcast games.

>> No.6692356
File: 72 KB, 680x622, 8B5F1543-878E-4489-9F43-07169E7A7400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692356

>>6692347
>waverace
>not visually appealing

>> No.6692359

>>6692332
It’s from /v/, Sony fanboys are a scourge that post nothing but wojaks and are the most brand loyal people in gaming, I’m glad there are some people who play games on whatever system they want

>> No.6692372

>>6692356
i don't really find jumping around at 10fps in blurry, pointy water to be all that nice to look at, either

>> No.6692374
File: 20 KB, 460x276, 1577810530162.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692374

>>6692356
>waverace
>visually appealing

I mean it's a fun game, but holy fuck does it look bland.

>> No.6692379

>>6692374
but muh jelly water

>> No.6692421

>>6691484
lol

>> No.6692424

>>6692379
No other way to do it

>> No.6692437

>>6692374
>I mean it's a fun game, but holy fuck does it look bland.
I'd say that Wave Race 64 surprisingly looked more like a Sega Arcade than the usual bland Nintendo sports. It felt like a Sega & Nintendo collaboration years before F-Zero GX.

>> No.6692458

>>6691989
>they had to put the hero on the ground because of Speccy's attribute clash.

>> No.6692460

>>6692437
i don't consider "it looks like a sega arcade game" to be a compliment

>> No.6692462

>>6692437
I agree. N64-era EAD sports games do have a very AM2 feel.
>>6692460
Of course you wouldn't, Sony fanboy.

>> No.6692472

>>6692437
>looked more like a Sega Arcade
I don't think this is the case. It's a little congested, Sega arcade games are comparatively minimalist. WR64 has meters, constant buoy management, generally greater noise to signal in its presentation and game play. That's not very Sega.

>> No.6692505
File: 55 KB, 320x240, ss3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692505

>>6690282
Nice bait.

>>6690305
I think Wipeout 64 looks pretty nice, reminds me of podracer except I don't suck at it.

>> No.6692536

jaggy shit > blurry shit, that and the best looking 64 games ran at like 12fps
the simple fact is though, i own 64 n64 games and 180 psx games, and the 64 collection contains things that are basically repeats like the whole nfl blitz series

>> No.6692669

>>6692536
>complaining about repeats
>references NFL Blitz
>3 games
>all of which at least noticeably different
>ignores literally an entire decade of sportsball current year titles on psx

>> No.6692678

>>6691870
Cool bro wave physics in one game changes everything

>> No.6692680

>>6692472
>I don't think this is the case. It's a little congested, Sega arcade games are comparatively minimalist. WR64 has meters, constant buoy management, generally greater noise to signal in its presentation and game play. That's not very Sega.
Well, it doesn't look 100% exactly like a SEGA arcade game, but the perfectly captured summer feeling, the blue skies, the over the top annoucer and the colorful palette remind quite a bit of some Model 2 or 3 games. In the end it was a Nintendo game and it shows, but to me it could almost pass a a Sega & Nintendo collaboration. Even more than F-Zero GX.

>> No.6692746

The issue is that people who played N64 are now well-adjusted and don't believe covid-19 conspiracies and sony fans cannot stand it.

>> No.6692761

>>6692669
?
i'm talking about games i personally own

>> No.6692768

>>6692678

We all know the N64 could have solved world hunger while simultanously giving blowjobs and would still be behind the PS1 for you.
Such is the nature of the soldier in the grim war of consoles. Godspeed, soldier.

>> No.6692797

>>6692768
>We all know the N64 could have solved world hunger while simultanously giving blowjobs
the way you guys act you'd think that was the case

>> No.6692817
File: 2.88 MB, 640x480, Wave Race 64 waves.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692817

Did someone say Wave Race 64? It does have a very Sega AM2 vibe and that's a good thing.

>> No.6692849
File: 21 KB, 640x576, 79129545_601539347247209_4581960811764776960_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692849

>>6690301
>Nintendo was a more honest rival.
You're fucking delusional if you think nintendo was an honest rival.
They did everything they could to fuck over their competition, they went as far as to bar retailers from selling competing consoles if they wish to sell nintendo consoles.
I get that was during the 80's but, nintendo is still a dirty as fuck company.
>Sony was just the rich guy who forced his own place in the industry by just having more money.
You do realize that was during the era when everyone was trying to make a console right?

>> No.6692852

>>6692797
That’s the joke

>> No.6692857

>>6692849
I thought this. Sega was maybe the only "honest" company. They put out consistently high quality games and consoles.

>> No.6692872

>>6692857
Nah both sony and sega were pretty "honest" to each other.
The worst sony did is undercut the saturns price with the ps1 but, they never did anything to actively sabotage their competitors like like Nintendo did.

>> No.6692919

>>6692817
so blurry and choppy that you don't even notice it only renders a few metres of water at a time

>> No.6692923

>>6692817
Looks really good desu

>> No.6692929
File: 2.88 MB, 640x480, Daytona USA Advanced.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692929

>>6692919
Don't talk about Daytona USA like that. They did the best they could.

>> No.6692957

>>6692929
it's difficult to criticise leading-edge games, of course they're going to be rough
i wouldn't call it a bad game, but it is terribly obsolete

>> No.6692968

>>6690965
>Each passing gen I feel more and more like console games are dying.
What makes you feel like that?

>> No.6692982
File: 16 KB, 480x360, where.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6692982

>>6692957
>obsolete
Also it's still fun

>> No.6692996

>>6692982
yea, i guess
there's other racing games i'd rather play, though

>> No.6693007

>>6692996
Sometimes you're just in the mood for everything daytona usa provides and there's nothing else quite like it out there. Music, tracks, physics. It's a sweet little game even with its shortcomings. CCE didn't quite recapture it, changed the tone a bit and that's a solid game on its own, but it's no Daytona USA. Sure a decent 30fps version would have been awesome, more stable 3D, I'd be all over that, but we didn't get that. People sell this game so short because it's not a perfect package but there really wasn't a perfect home version of the game until the 7th generation.

>> No.6693094

>>6690295
The texture popping and warping alone makes the PS1 incredibly inferior, almost borderline unplayable.

>> No.6693152

>>6693094
your opinion

>> No.6693482

>>6692817
>sonyggers really do exaggerate blur and fps
This is a very good looking game. Had it run at 480p it could pass as an arcade title. The physics still hold up really well.

>> No.6693494

>>6693482
I swear I'm being gaslit by a lot of this N64 talk. I find I go back and play some old game, and it's actually a lot smoother feeling than I thought it was.

>> No.6694080

>>6692849
My reasoning for thinking Nintendo is a more honest rival centers in the fact Nintendo wasn't a monster corporation that could burn money like it's nothing. They were a video game company, like Sega. And they relied only on quality games and hardware, as Sega did.
Both Nintendo (of America) and Sega (of America) had some dirty tricks under their sleeves, what with Sega's "nintendon't" ads and stuff. But when it comes to it, both Nintendo and Sega were able to co-exist no problem (and even if Sega wasn't as popular in Japan before Saturn in terms of home systems, Nintendo and NEC were able to co-exist, too).
Then enter SONY, this monster that had electronics, music, movies and more, they learned what they could about console manufacturing from both Sega and Nintendo, and then decided to enter the market. They tried to trick Nintendo into the SNES CD with a contract that said that 100% of the profits for the CD games would go to Sony, even if the IP was form Nintendo (so that means that for example, if Super Mario CD came out, 100% of the profits would go to Sony), no wonder nintendo "backstabbed" them.
Sony owned the CD factories that pressed the CDs, meaning that Sega was indirectly giving money to Sony for each Saturn game they sold. How is that fair?
Sony IS the rich guy who just stepped in and swept the competition under the rug with only money.

>> No.6694216

>>6690282

Because poor people are still bitter about having to play pirated shovelware

>> No.6694227

>>6692332
I feel the tide turning. People are beginning to realize how unbearable Sony fans are

>> No.6694237
File: 1.68 MB, 800x1866, shitgamer_alliance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6694237

>>6694227
>beginning to realize
Sony fans have always been voted as the most annoying fanbase on /v/

>> No.6694268

>>6690290
First post covered it although I don't think zoomers had much to do with it besides the youtube-fuelled shitposting resurgence.

Both consoles had ugly graphical limitations which console warriors inflated as though they represented the worse graphics ever.
PSX had that integer math and affine texture jank, while N64 had not a lot of resources for textures compounded by that distinctive tri-sample bilinear filtering.

To be fair, if you had those consoles you were used to those respective flaws so they really weren't a big deal to you, so it was an easy thing to argue about. Those sneaky japanese really were playing us like fiddles

>> No.6694325

>>6692919
Thats only the pal version https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3QqPtdA0wpw

>> No.6694697

>>6694325
idk about draw distance differences, but that speed difference in horrendous
given where i live, i've only played the pal version, so that probably doesn't help my opinion of it

>> No.6694897

>>6690282
N64 looks like absolute garbage due to that stupid antialiasing filter. What the fuck where they thinking.

>> No.6694909

>>6694897
They were thinking it was a low resolution system that was going to primarily be displayed on shitty CRTs.

>> No.6694918

>>6694909
Even on a 14inch TV is was clearly blurry as fuck compared to ps1 or saturn.

>> No.6694931

>>6694918
But that was clear in contrast only because those systems had such severe aliasing.

Which I prefer, personally, but people talked about it very negatively at the time.

>> No.6694939

>>6694931
it was supposed to be an advantage, like "look what we can do, you can't even see the jaggies!", but it's not a "true" AA like MSAA, it's a post-process effect like FXAA, so it softens the whole image
many people would agree that a consumer tv hooked up with RF/Composite (what 90% of people used) is soft enough as it is, and it really didn't need to be any softer

>> No.6694958

Why do you dumb kids care about graphics at all?
You're all now forced to play only Atari VCS games for six months until you learn that graphics don't matter in gaming.

>> No.6694963

>>6694958
Atari games don't have gameplay, either.

>> No.6694971

>>6694958
>stop discussing thing i personally don't care about

>> No.6694986

>>6694963
More gameplay, better controls, and much more fun than any fucking modern so-called "game" does.
Again, go play them. Now. You're required to for the next two years, exclusively. Don't flap your fucking mouth again until you do.

>> No.6695017

>>6694986
Is this some sort of fetish thing for you?
Your posting is like reading some cringey cyber chatlog

>> No.6695023

>>6694958
Games are a visual medium dummy

>> No.6695074
File: 2.92 MB, 640x480, 1080 Snowboarding.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6695074

1080 is another great looking N64 game that mogged all other snowboarding games at the time.

>> No.6695246

>>6695074
what boring looking levels
>your file contained an embedded file
fuck off, 4chan, i use the exact same command every time but it only posts maybe 40% of the time
https://a.uguu.se/whfijw.webm

>> No.6695250

>>6695246
(ps. this came out the same year as 1080)

>> No.6695273

>>6695250
>>6695246
Eh, not as technically impressive. There's no trail left behind your board, the draw distance is worse, and no dynamic lighting. I guess the skybox is better but I can't get over the PSX's jiterry ass polygons

>> No.6695316

>>6692768
I hope you are not an actual adult who still clings to Nintendo as a security blanket. You sound like a complete loser.

>> No.6695942

>>6695316

I am and was Switzerland in the Great Console War. Console warring is stupid and I even thought that as a kid. Right at the beginning when they came out - okay, maybe a little, you are little Johnny Everykid, you were only going to get one console from your parents for the next years, so of course you are gonna defend your choice violently, because reality will shift before you admitting you made the wrog choice - but even later when you could get the other one used for a reasonable price and even today? Jesus Christ, how absurd. I had both an N64 and a PS1, both were good, I liked the instant play of the N64 with no loading times but PS1 games really often felt like they had more content because more space, they were also often a bit cheaper and later there were those bargain displays of then when you could get them for down to a tenner - no chance with N64 carts. You can like more than one console you know?

>> No.6695969

>>6695246
That not only looks considerably worse it visibly is way more stiff to control.

>> No.6696003

>>6690282
It's a proven fact that Nintendo stopped having good home consoles after the SNES.

>> No.6696016

>>6696003
PS1 isn't really any better, though.
5th gen and onwards just didn't live up to the golden era of home consoles that was 4th gen.

>> No.6696018

>>6690282
That awful blurring was just stupid and pointless.

>> No.6696236

>>6691989
why was a sega game on Nes and not unlicensed?

>> No.6697443

Grainy/Jagged graphics > Blurry/Muddy graphics

>> No.6697462

>>6690282
5th gen in general has hideous visuals and bad performance across the board for 3D. N64 gets extra shit for having a bad controller and small library

>> No.6697481

>>6696016
Sure thing nintenpleb.

>> No.6697487

>>6696018
>>6697443
These, PS1 jaggies just look nice on crt and clean, muddy n64 textures are just annoying. That being said both consoles have good looking games.

>> No.6697507

>>6697487
I love the look of the Sega Saturn on CRT. The quad polygons have a special look to them.

>> No.6697661

>>6697481
Not a console warrior, I just don't think 5th gen was as strong as 4th gen, not even close.

>> No.6697716

>>6697661
5th gen definitely has more variety, SFC has a big catalog but most of it is just rpgs or samey platformers

>> No.6697719

>>6697661
Not gonna lie, I think this is the lamest cop-out possible and just shows how little you know about the libraries of the consoles.

>> No.6697739

>>6697716
5th gen was plagued by bad games that are failed proof of concepts but still got greenlit just because people at the time would buy anything with 3D graphics and FMVs. You have all sort of variety in 4th gen too, what genre is missing?
>>6697719
Sorry I offended your childhood memories

>> No.6697765

>>6697739
>5th gen was plagued by bad games that are failed proof of concepts
zoomer meme, 3d games were fine overall, western shovelware is shit but so was in 4th generation
>You have all sort of variety in 4th gen too, what genre is missing?
All that were spawn on 5th generation, even 2d stuff on 5th generation overall had more quality.

>> No.6697828

>>6697765
Claiming 5th gen had better 2D games than 4th gen is just dishonest. There's a reason why people see 2D games on 5th gen as something exotic, and sort of "hidden gems", there are very little 2D classics from 5th gen. SOTN was even a sleeper hit that started gathering more cult following when people started getting nostalgic for 2D, but even if we have SOTN into account as a classic, there's a lot of criticism for it, both from the people who prefer Classicvanias (which were absent during 5th gen), or from people who actually enjoy the Metroidvania genre and find SOTN too easy and unbalanced.

>> No.6697829

>>6690432
Actually the PC is the last Sega console because all of their best games have been ported to the platform and anything else can be emulated.

>> No.6697831

>>6697765
Also, what genres did 5th gen spawn? Enlighten us.
I can MAYBE think of rhythm games, what else?

>> No.6697959

>>6697828
>Claiming 5th gen had better 2D games than 4th gen is just dishonest.
No it's not, you are just being a 2d hipster, 5th had just less quantity as developers wanted to make 3D games as well, but it didn't lack in quality,.
>There's a reason why people see 2D games on 5th gen as something exotic
Just a deviation in public interest, the innovation aspect was big back then.
>Classicvanias (which were absent during 5th gen)
Classicvania isn't really a genre, and even then you are wrong because Castlevania Chronicles exists. As for 2D action sidescrollers they weren't even that abundant on the 4th generation, 5th still has a bunch of solid ones, more Rockman games, Rayman, Klonoa, Leynos 2, Strider 2, Metal Slug, Astal, Goemon's Great adventure, Rapid Reload, Elevator Action returns. Mischief Makers, Silhouette Mirage, Shinobi X (looks cheesy but plays fine), Little Ralph etc. Not to mention tons of classic arcade ports that are pretty much perfect.
>or from people who actually enjoy the Metroidvania genre and find SOTN too easy and unbalanced.
I'm not the biggest fan of this meme genre but this is dishonest considering Super Metroid is piss-easy as well, they are just chill and explore 2d platformers really, not meant to be super challenging.
>>6697831
3D platformers, survival horror, 3d racers, 3rd person shooter/action and adventure, 3D fighters, fully realized stealth games, rail shooters that don't play like a slideshow, rhythm games, unique sports games Street skater and THPS, whatever the fuck Nights is etc.
Sure, some of these were in a sort of archaic form in previous generations, but 5th gen was when they matured and consolidated. And no, 3D platformers/racers/fighters are nothing like their 2D counterparts.

>> No.6697982

>>6697959
>you are wrong because Castlevania Chronicles exists.
Not him but that's a 1993 game for the Sharp X68000. I think it counts as 4th gen.

>> No.6697990

>>6697982
Yeah but who the fuck had a x68000 anyway, also the PS1 version has more features.

>> No.6697991

>>6697959
>more Rockman games
yeah, shit ones

>> No.6697996

>>6697990
I think this isn't about who had it or who didn't though? It's about generations, not personal experiences. That'd be like counting Sonic Jam on Saturn as the Genesis Sonic games being 5th gen, they aren't.
The PS1 port is flawed, even the original mode. I'm sure the anon who knows the details will arrive soon, but they fucked up various things about it in the PS1 version. Emulating the original Sharp version is the best way to play it other than actually owning the Sharp computer.

>> No.6697997

>>6697991
another bad meme, go be a 8-bits hipster elsewhere

>> No.6698021

>>6697996
>It's about generations, not personal experiences
Fuck off the nig I quote clearly was basing his opinion on impressions and public reception.
>That'd be like counting Sonic Jam on Saturn as the Genesis Sonic games being 5th gen,
No because Sonic was widely popular and available in the second best selling console of 4th gen, the x68000 is just an outlier of 4th gen really.
>The PS1 port is flawed, even the original mode.
Eh dunno about that but I'll trust you I guess, either way never liked much any version of the game.

>> No.6698024

>>6697959
>Shinobi X (looks cheesy but plays fine)
At the point you have to make excuses to make games on your lists get a pass, you know you're bullshitting your way through.
Look, I don't hate 5th gen 2D games, some of the ones you mentioned are very good, but you and I both know that it can't compare to the quality AND quantity that 4th (and 3rd) gen had.
During 5th gen, AAA teams were tasked with the new thing, 3D games, and 2D games were relegated, often, to smaller, more budget teams. There were some exceptions like Goemon and Klonoa (3D graphics), but neither Strider 2 nor Shinobi Legends lived up to their predecessors. Not even close.
I'll give you the arcade ports, but that's a more grey area as many of the boards these games ran on are pretty old. 5th gen systems just were able to get more faithful ports than previous systems (mostly the Saturn).

>> No.6698053

>>6691870
The PS1 literally does that in Crash Bandicoot 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tW5cBdkn6k

And the Saturn does a similar kind of effect in NiGHTS into Dreams, though it's using the terrain wave/distortion effect to simulate walking on a bouncy castle like thing instead of ocean waves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q2eNeBPxWs

>> No.6698071
File: 2.89 MB, 640x480, Wave Race 64 that counted.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698071

>>6698053
Those waves don't look as good and the physics are way more basic.

>> No.6698079
File: 33 KB, 1024x512, photo-1522140243784-a1df85e3c0f4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698079

Texture sizes were a bigger deal back in the day.

Jumping from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048, it's a welcome difference but it's not going to make or break the game's look. 32x32 to 64x64 is proportionately the same jump in size, but the difference is much more obvious visually.

>> No.6698097

>>6698024
>At the point you have to make excuses to make games on your lists get a pass, you know you're bullshitting your way through.
Why, because you are just a dumb graphics faggot? I included it because it's a good game that gets overlooked by retards like you just because of how it looks.
>Look, I don't hate 5th gen 2D games
Sure thing 4th gen hipster
.>but you and I both know that it can't compare to the quality AND quantity that 4th (and 3rd) gen had.
Learn to read already stated that 4th wins in quantity of 2D games for obvious reasons (and even then it just limits to certain genres), for quality though, no, you are just being delusional.
>but neither Strider 2 nor Shinobi Legends lived up to their predecessors. Not even close.
I'll grant you Shinobi X mostly for the presentation aspect, but Strider 2 is much better than the original you tasteless cunt.

>I'll give you the arcade ports, but that's a more grey area as many of the boards these games ran on are pretty old
Ok so let's remove all arcade port from 4th gen consoles as games: voila, much more boring library. See how you are being a biased faggot?

>> No.6698123

>>6698097
Shinobi Legends is still mediocre when compared to the previous Shinobi games, not even counting graphics.
>for quality though, no, you are just being delusional.
Not really. At most, some of the best 5th gen 2D games may be on par with some of the best 4th gen ones (debatable, very debatable), but in no way any 5th gen 2D game can beat some of the classic stuff from 4th gen.
>but Strider 2 is much better than the original you tasteless cunt.
>tasteless
Ironic.
>Ok so let's remove all arcade port from 4th gen consoles as games
Sure, no problem. Most 2D sidescrollers were exclusive to consoles anyway.
>voila, much more boring library
No?

>> No.6698135

>>6698097
Strider 2 isn't even better than the true sequel to Strider: Cannon Dancer.

>> No.6698157

>>6698123
Whatever you say dumb hipster, I also like how you conviently limit the discussion to sidescrollers because you know 5th gen destroys 4th gen in stuff like fighters.
>>6698135
Meh Cannon Dancer is all right but more of the same, Strider 2 is what a good sequel is about, modernizing the formula without distancing too much from the original.

>> No.6698160

>>6698157
Strider 2 is too easy and it looks like crap.

>> No.6698163

>>6698160
post your 1cc then faggot

>> No.6698167

>>6698163
Why would I bother 1CCing a boring, ugly game?

>> No.6698189

>>6698167
Because you could do much worse like playing overhyped shit like Strider 1.

>> No.6698195

>>6698189
>starts shittalking a classic as his only defense of the inferior sequel
Typical.

>> No.6698204

>>6698195
>having 0 arguments to justify your shit taste
Typical, not to mention you are defending the inferior MD version here.

>> No.6698209

>>6698204
I have said nothing about the Genesis version. Also you're clearly the one with the shit taste here.

>> No.6698225

>>6698071
The waves look the same, the camera angle is just different. Also Wave Race 64 runs in a letterboxed window at 20fps, Crash is fullscreen at 30fps, same with NiGHTS.

>> No.6698229

>>6698225
>The waves look the same
No they do not. The effect isn't nearly as convincing in Crash 3.

>> No.6698235

>>6698229
Sure they are, what's wrong with them precisely?

>> No.6698243

>>6698235
Too flat, too transparent. It doesn't look like there's anything under the water.

>> No.6698251

>>6698243
>Too flat
It depends where you are in the levels, the wave intensity is dependent on the area of the stage. Keep in mind it's a full 3D game so it uses the waves as an obstacle and at times a mechanic for the platforming, you observe the patterns and figure out how to progress past it safely. It's not a closed off linear racing game like wave racer.
>It doesn't look like there's anything under the water.
It usually does though? Because there often is, hidden crates you need to figure out the physics of the water to get to. Your critiques are too vague and flat out wrong.

>> No.6698256

>>6698209
Okay then play the better port of it on the ps1 while we superior people play Strider 2, everyone is happy.

>> No.6698269

>>6698251
>It depends where you are in the levels, the wave intensity is dependent on the area of the stage
It is always significantly more flat and less convincing as a result.

>> No.6698276

>>6698269
>It is always significantly more flat and less convincing as a result.
I don't see how? Objectively it's not flat. It's also 5th gen 3D, it's never going to be convincing. The orange jello & whipped cream water here: >>6698071 isn't exactly "convincing."

I think you need better arguments.

>> No.6698297
File: 2.86 MB, 640x480, Wave Race 64 cold.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698297

>>6698276
>Objectively it's not flat
I didn't mean it was completely flat. Just more flat and therefore less convincing than the water in Wave Race 64. It's just not as animated and realistic looking.
>It's also 5th gen 3D, it's never going to be convincing
That sounds like a cope.
>I think you need better arguments.
Said the guy whose counterargument was that realistic water looks like jello and whipped cream. Don't make me come to conclusions as to why you thought of food upon seeing a realistically rendered body of water.

>> No.6698307

>>6698297
>I didn't mean it was completely flat
Oh so you're not being honest. Got it. Disingenuousness comes to you naturally?
>It's just not as animated
It is.
>That sounds like a cope.
Sounds like you can't think of a retort.
>realistic water looks like jello and whipped cream
you didn't post realistic water. Your follow up is another compressed webm of antifreeze ocean. I'll be sure to stop by there instead of autozone next time I need to fill up.

>> No.6698316
File: 2.93 MB, 640x480, Wave Race 64 skill.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698316

>>6698307
>Oh so you're not being honest
No I never said it was completely flat, just more flat.
>It is.
Prove it.
>you didn't post realistic water
Yes I did.
>Disingenuousness comes to you naturally?
Yes.

>> No.6698318

>>6698157
>limit the discussion to sidescrollers because you know 5th gen destroys 4th gen in stuff like fighters.
Does it? I dunno. I still consider Street Fighter II to be the best fighting game of all time. That or Fatal Fury Special.
Both from 4th gen era.
You just seem irrationally angry that people bring up the fact that 5th gen was more about the 3D than the 2D. Let people who like 2D better prefer 4th gen, will you?

>> No.6698320
File: 88 KB, 1280x720, download (27).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698320

>>6698079
>n64 games load faster
n64 games look like they never finish loading

>> No.6698328

>>6698320
PS1's games look like they're constantly loading, shaking about

>> No.6698371
File: 292 KB, 570x465, MGS1SnakePP.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698371

>>6698320
uh...

>> No.6698378

>>6698371
>emulator screenshot

>> No.6698379
File: 34 KB, 512x358, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698379

>>6698371
Sorry honey. Your onions console has zero redeeming qualities.

>> No.6698383

>>6698379
>emulator screenshot

>> No.6698384

>>6698379
>more emulator screenshots

>> No.6698392
File: 50 KB, 350x240, PLAYSTATION--Metal Gear Solid VR Missions_Jun3 12_36_08.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698392

>>6698383
>>6698384
I can taste the desperation.

>> No.6698396

>>6698392
Cool tech demo.

>> No.6698402
File: 398 KB, 723x520, eva0164.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698402

>>6698392
Is that the most complex PS1 has to offer? Dead or Alive girls on Saturn look better.

>> No.6698415

>>6698402
Except they don't.

>> No.6698418

>>6698318
>I still consider Street Fighter II to be the best fighting game of all time.
Good for you, 4th gen consoles don't even have the best version of it, let alone a port that's close enough to the arcades.
>You just seem irrationally angry that people bring up the fact that 5th gen was more about the 3D than the 2D.
This isn't what the discussion was about, lying retard.
>Let people who like 2D better prefer 4th gen, will you?
Sure, just don't be an attention whore with your shit opinions as if they were universal.

>> No.6698449

>>6698418
>4th gen consoles don't even have the best version of it, let alone a port that's close enough to the arcades.
The home ports were surprisingly good, and they don't have loading times, which is a plus. Also I don't think SF2, the arcade game, qualifies as a 5th gen game.
>This isn't what the discussion was about, lying retard.
So angry all the time. The discussion is about you getting angry that some people don't think that highly of 5th gen and prefer 4th gen, and your arguments are games like Shinobi Legends and Stider 2.
>Sure, just don't be an attention whore with your shit opinions as if they were universal.
Likewise.

>> No.6698479

>>6698449
>The home ports were surprisingly good,
No they aren't, stuff like the SNES port doesn't even allow the chain combos from the arcade.
>and they don't have loading times
Neither the Saturn version of those games, and they play, look and sound much better.
>Also I don't think SF2, the arcade game, qualifies as a 5th gen game.
Super Turbo, the best SF2 iteration is from 1994 and only released on 5th gen consoles, get fucked retard.
>The discussion is about you getting angry that some people don't think that highly of 5th gen and prefer 4th gen
I don't give a shit about what you prefer, the problem is that your arguments for it are just cringeworthy retro hipster crap with 0 basis
>Likewise.
Except you were the faggot saying 5th being bad because "muh early 3d is baaad", stupid hipster cunt who just parrots bad memes.

>> No.6698496

>>6698479
You are waaay too angry.
Saturn did have good arcade ports, that's undeniable. I also love Vampire Savior on it.
>Super Turbo, the best SF2 iteration
I actually always preferred the original World Warrior.
>I don't give a shit about what you prefer,
Neither I do about your taste, to be quite frank, but here we are.
>Except you were the faggot saying 5th being bad because "muh early 3d is baaad"
I never said that, I only ever said that I think 4th gen had more quality 2D titles and the 5th gen iterations, for the most part, didn't live up to their predecessors. I'll give you arcade ports on the Saturn, though.

>> No.6698505

>>6698449
>some people don't think that highly of 5th gen
Isn't it just retards who refuse to like good games?

>> No.6698507

>>6698505
not thinking that highly =/= refusing to like

>> No.6698510

>>6698496
>moving the goalposts this bad
Okay at least you are indirectly admitting that you were wrong all the time, that's an advance.

>> No.6698512

>>6698479
>shits on the 16-bit ports of SF2 for not having arcade perfect gameplay
>praises the 90s console ports of Super Turbo
Your bias could not be more obvious.

>> No.6698514

>>6698510
I'm not moving any goalpost, I stand by my conviction that 2D games thrived during 4th gen and were an afterthought at best during 5th.

>> No.6698525

>>6698507
Sounds like pretty clear rejection to me, usually their knowledge caps out around crash/spyro/nintendo titles everyone played and maybe the daytona usa port

>> No.6698526

>>6698512
If you want to get extreme then any fighting game port is worthless compared to the arcade, doesn't change that at least 5th gen gave products that were closer to the actual thing.

>> No.6698531

>>6698525
Sounds like you're just angry that other people don't think 5th gen is the best ever and just project your own knowledge onto others.
The fact some people prefer 4th gen doesn't mean they can't like 5th gen or viceversa.

>> No.6698538

>>6698514
yawn, already replied that here >>6697959
>>6698525
This, "early 3d is bad!" tards are just clueless 2d retro hipsters.

>> No.6698543

>>6698538
>already replied that here
Yeah with Shinobi Legends and Little Ralph... ok.

>> No.6698552

>>6690282
I feel like PS1 held up slightly better desu.
Blur looks worse than pixelation in hindsight, even if blur is more technically impressive.
(this isn't a console partisan thing either, this is also my preference for PC games when extra draw distance, etc, isn't also a factor. annoyingly some software makes you take the blur with the other advantages hardware rendering etc might give you.)

>> No.6698554

>>6698543
Funny part is you diss on those games while prefer to play some run of the mill platformer or some trashy SNES rpg instead.

>> No.6698557

>>6698554
How so? No, I prefer to play a good Shinobi game, like Super Shinobi, or an above average platformer, like Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
I was never big on RPGs either, another reason 5th gen (particularly PS1) wasn't too hot for me.

>> No.6698558

>>6698554
Is that a tacit admission that Shinobi Legends and Little Ralph are worse than a run of the mill platformer?

>> No.6698571

>>6698557
Yeah I get it you like games that look flashy despite being nothing special.
>I was never big on RPGs either, another reason 5th gen (particularly PS1) wasn't too hot for me.
As if the whole rpg shit didn't start with the SFC.

>>6698558
sure schizo

>> No.6698576

>>6698557
There's more non-rpgs than there are rpgs, anyone who took a serious look at the platform can tell you this.

>> No.6698583

>>6698571
>Yeah I get it you like games that look flashy despite being nothing special.
Both Super Shinobi and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are very special.
Are you implying they aren't and that they only rely on graphics?

>> No.6698586 [DELETED] 

>>6698576
This is how I know you are just a dumb retro hipster, SFC is fucking plagued with rpgs, easily the most prevalent genre maybe along platformers.

>> No.6698589

>>6698571
>As if the whole rpg shit didn't start with the SFC.
Huh? It started way before the SFC.
5th gen kids are so stupid and ignorant.

>> No.6698594

>>6698586
>easily the most prevalent genre maybe along platformers.
Are you sure about that? I can guarantee there's more platformers than RPGs on SNES.

>> No.6698602
File: 45 KB, 242x584, 1397115252031.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698602

>enter thread expecting to see another classic Nintendo vs Sony /v/ console war shitposting fest
>it's actually a 5th gen kiddie getting triggered by 4th gen chads

>> No.6698608

>>6698602
I'm just seeing two people that have no idea what they're talking about. a 4th gen hipster who doesn't know anything about the 5th gen, and a 5th gen kiddie who doesn't know anything about the 4th gen. Neither seem to care to learn about either.

>> No.6698609

>>6698583
Sonic series was always shit, it relied mostly on gimicks and graphical effect so yes, it's even more apparent in S3&K. Shinobi games are good not gonna lie, but you are shitting too much on X just because your retro hipster pixel art bias.
>>6698589
FC RPGs don't even compare on how much of a plague it was for the SFC, retard.

>> No.6698613

>>6698608
>and a 5th gen kiddie who doesn't know anything about the 4th gen
At least you admit it.

>> No.6698615

>>6698613
I don't get it.

>> No.6698617

>>6698608
I know way more than you do, newfag cunt.

>> No.6698618

>>6698609
Shinobi Legends is an ugly game no matter what your opinion is on pixel art.

>> No.6698621
File: 63 KB, 1000x1192, 1472852731879.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698621

>>6698609
RPGs started before the FC...

>> No.6698625

>>6698617
I'm not convinced when the hottest titles being mentioned are a ps1 import everyone knows and an early saturn 2d game that actually got released in the west

>> No.6698627

>>6698609
>Sonic series was always shit
Opinion immediately discarded, especially when you list average shit like Little Ralph

>> No.6698632

>>6698621
Yeah and per and paper way before, this is about the mainstream popularity of RPGs, midwit.

>> No.6698637

>>6698632
>this is about the mainstream popularity
Talk about moving goalposts.
Just cope with the fact people who prefer 2D games have just more (and better) of it on 4th gen systems. This isn't even some kind of controversial opinion.
Yes Saturn has some really good arcade ports, and there are a few really good 2D games on 5th gen, but a 2D fanatic won't have a 5th gen console as his primary source of 2D games.

>> No.6698643

>>6698627
Little ralph at least has platforming, Sonic is just a pile of shit that's about the "experencie" and you can play blind. At least mention Mario or something if you want to talk about good popular 4th gen platformers.

>> No.6698647

>>6698637
>more (and better) of it on 4th gen systems
I disagree, much less choice when it comes to 2D games in the 4th gen overall

>> No.6698664

>>6698643
Little Ralph has very basic level design, the fact you're trashing Sonic speaks volumes of how biased you are in order to defend 5th gen.
>>6698647
The only choices are low budget platformers like Little Ralph, or good arcade ports on Saturn. Saturn ports are good, Little Ralph is not bad but also not better than any average 4th gen platformer, in fact it gets mogged by most.

>> No.6698668

>>6698637
>Talk about moving goalposts.
Except I didn't, retard? Wouldn't use terms like "plague" if it was just a irrelevant genre that nobody produced nor cared about.
>Just cope with the fact people who prefer 2D games have just more (and better) of it on 4th gen systems
This is actually moving goalposts, and even then it's wrong because that depends on the genres that you like, not everyone is a retro hipster faggot who's only criteria for playing games is wether it's 4th gen or 2D.
>but a 2D fanatic won't have a 5th gen console as his primary source of 2D games.
You'd have to be a retard to limit to only one console or generation to enjoy games, to begin with, doesn't surprise me coming from the 4th kiddie though.

>> No.6698670

>>6698664
>The only choices are low budget platformers like Little Ralph,
nah, but I'm surprised that's all you know. I'm waiting for you to mention something else.

>> No.6698674

>>6698664
>Little Ralph has very basic level design
Literally says nothing, and even then it's still better level design than Sonic, a game that's more about visual scenarios than gameplay itself.
>the fact you're trashing Sonic speaks volumes of how biased you are in order to defend 5th gen.
No, it just says that I don't give a shit about your meme game that you are desperate to defend just because it's popular.

>> No.6698685

>>6698668
>Except I didn't, retard? Wouldn't use terms like "plague" if it was just a irrelevant genre that nobody produced nor cared about.
So angry. PCs were plagued by RPGs before FC.
>This is actually moving goalposts
How so? It's what I've been saying since the beginning.
>You'd have to be a retard to limit to only one console or generation to enjoy games
Having a preferred generation of systems that's mostly 2D games doesn't mean I don't enjoy other kind of games/generations. Learn to stop thinking in absolutes and you will be less angry.
>>6698670
I mention Little Ralph because it's what the 5th gen kid could come up with when implying 5th gen has better 2D games than 4th gen.
>>6698674
So you're just shitting on Sonic because it's popular and defending Ralph because nobody gives a shit about it? What a hipster...

>> No.6698690

>>6698685
I know, I'm not impressed by his or your lack of knowledge. It's better than most praised 4th gen platformers people talk about, but it's not my first pick, or my tenth.

>> No.6698704

Why are there always perpetually bitter and butthurt manchildren who say "X classic game is shit, Y obscure piece of crap is way better!" on this board? This mentality effects basically every thread these days.

>> No.6698712

>>6698704
I don't know anon, why are there always perpetually bitter and butthurt manchildren who say "X classic game is shit, Y obscure piece of crap is way better!" on this board?

>> No.6698714

>>6698685
>So angry. PCs were plagued by RPGs before FC.
>he thinks PC game sales even compare to the millions sold by shit like SQ or FF
Clueless retard.
>How so? It's what I've been saying since the beginning.
Yeah and conveniently forgot about your other shitty argument dissing 3D games as a way to downplay 5th gen.
>Having a preferred generation of systems that's mostly 2D games doesn't mean I don't enjoy other kind of games/generations.
So this is how brainlets think?, they don't care about games themselves but just the "team" they are on? pathetic
>>6698685
>So you're just shitting on Sonic because it's popular and defending Ralph because nobody gives a shit about it? What a hipster...
Shitty strawman attempt, I'm shitting on Sonic because it's a shit game, you are the one desperately defending it with ad populum fallacies.

>> No.6698715

>>6698704
In this very case it's because someone who grew up with 5th gen is angry that someone who likes 2D games prefers 4th gen.

>> No.6698718

>>6698704
>ad verecundiam fallacy
Double digit iq.

>> No.6698765

>>6698714
You're too angry and thinking irrationally.
>they don't care about games themselves but just the "team" they are on? pathetic
This is how you're thinking, getting angry at the fact 4th just offer more 2D, but since you're "team 5th gen" you need to defend it at all cost. Even if that means mentioning Shinobi Legends.

>> No.6698775

>>6698765
>You're too angry and thinking irrationally.
>coming from the dumbass who's just throwing throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks
you aren't fooling anyone.

>> No.6698793

>>6698775
That guy was clearly on the money on you being cucked into some fanboy mindset for literally everything. You're acting like a fanboy for fucking console generations at this point. What's next third party controller brand fanboy wars?

>> No.6698828

>>6698793
>That guy was clearly on the money on you being cucked into some fanboy mindset for literally everything
Retarded strawman, all I'm saying is that despite not being the main focus, 5th gen has a bunch of good 2D games, my position has always been the same, meanwhile you faggots insist on comparison and changing the goalposts all the time, from
>3D games are shit
to
>2D 5th gen games are shit
to
>4th gen has better 2D games
to
>4th gen has more 2d games
You niggers are fucking pathetic.

>> No.6698843

>>6698828
>all I'm saying is that despite not being the main focus, 5th gen has a bunch of good 2D games
And you just so happen to call every 2D game that wasn't fifth gen mentioned ITT a shit game. Just by sheer chance and not at all motivated by a team mentality.

>> No.6698852

>>6698843
>And you just so happen to call every 2D game that wasn't fifth gen mentioned ITT a shit game.
Not my fault if your taste is shit, most people don't care for the actual good 4th gen games.

>> No.6698860

>>6698852
Do you enjoy acting like a hipster with a stick up his ass?

>> No.6698869

>>6698860
Not as much as trolling faggots who believe they have good taste just because they pretend to like the overhyped shit.

>> No.6698896

>>6698869
Now liking bad games because it gives me a truly pathetic feeling of superiority, that's good taste right there.

>> No.6698912

>Be used to BallisticNG
>heck Out Wipeout again
>realise how SLOW the originals were

>> No.6698915

>>6698896
You didn't even give valid arguments as for why you think it's bad outside of "m-m-muh grafix" like a pleb would, as if Shinobi 3 was a perfect game when it has some lame stuff like the flashy auto-scrollers and low challenge. Your appreciation for games just lie in shallow shit which is why you have bad criteria.

>> No.6698927

>>6698915
Nobody said anything about Shinobi 3.
>Your appreciation for games just lie in shallow shit which is why you have bad criteria.
Why are you perpetually assmad?

>> No.6698937

>>6698927
>not being able to follow discussion
Oh so you are just retarded.

>> No.6698957
File: 52 KB, 320x240, download (7).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6698957

>>6698396
that's a screenshot from MGS1

>> No.6699138

>>6698957
>pixely textures
>block proportions
>brown
yeah looks like shit

>> No.6699281

>>6698664
>Little Ralph is not bad but also not better than any average 4th gen platformer, in fact it gets mogged by most.
Imagine being this desperate to shit on a game you never played just because it's on a console you don't like. Adventure of little Ralph is top tier arcade platforming you gigapleb.

>> No.6699856

>>6699281
It's very good. 5th gen also has the best umihara kawase game, which is the best platformer of all time.

>> No.6700818

>>6690282
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on original hardware with the low draw distance fog was SOUL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVpcC8GwXM

>> No.6700837

>>6699281
>just because it's on a console you don't like
Projecting.
>Adventure of little Ralph is top tier arcade platforming you giga
It's a cute little game but come on now.
>>6699856
True, Umihara Kawase is good although debatable if it's better than the SFC game, I actually don't think so, but I'd need to replay both again back to back. It is one of the best platformers on the PS, at least.

>> No.6700870
File: 717 KB, 619x640, goemonuchuukaifrontci2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6700870

>>6699856
Don't forget PSX also has the best Goetroidvania of all time.

>> No.6700879

>>6700870
>Goetroiodvania
Well, that isn't saying much, but how is it better than Goemon 3? Always felt Akogingu was kinda knockoff-y.

>> No.6700884

>>6690295
I been hooked on transparencies since I was 14 man. they really shouldnt let kids have easy access to such addictive graphical effects.

>> No.6700889

>a console released two years later
>in a time when 3d was evolving lightning fast
>has better graphic capabilities
WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!!
Still the PSX mogs the N64 in every category when it comes to games.

>> No.6700895

>>6700879
>but how is it better than Goemon 3?
Well, Akogingu is actually finished, for one.
For two, the Impact fights are much more challenging.
For three, the new characters are better than Yae and Sasuke.

>> No.6700904

>>6700895
>Well, Akogingu is actually finished, for one.
Explain?
>For two, the Impact fights are much more challenging.
I don't remember them being challenging. The only Impact battles that were a bit challenging were the ones in GGA (because of the switching factor between Impact and Miss Impact), but other than that...
>For three, the new characters are better than Yae and Sasuke.
In what way?

>> No.6700908

>>6700879
>Always felt Akogingu was kinda knockoff-y.
It wasn't made by the main Goemon team.

>> No.6700914

>>6700889
Every category? Certainly not FPS games, racing games or 3D platformers.

>> No.6700923

>>6700837
>It's a cute little game but come on now.
This is what a retard who never played it would say, it's not even comparable to generic cute games from the 4th generation you talk about, as it's more of a Rastan style game and challenge.

>> No.6700927

>>6700923
Starting up the fanboy shit again I see.

>> No.6700930

>>6700837
Shun has the rocket jump, the original does not.

>> No.6700936

>>6700914
>FPS games
Eh I'll give you a pass tho playing a FPS in 15fps isn't anything to brag about
>racing games
Not when R4, Gran Turismo and Wipeout exist
>3D platformers.
n64 had no platformers only boring colectathons that are reminiscent of today's open world games filled with boring objectives to hook off a checklist.

>> No.6700937

>>6700927
I'm not the faggot shitting on a good game for retarded reasons, retard.

>> No.6700941

>>6700904
>Explain?
Did you not play it? Goemon 3 has 2 incomplete dungeons that just lead to a boss fight. Also the final area is just a boss rush, pretty lazy imo.
>I don't remember them being challenging.
You can't just cheese them by bombspamming like in 3, is what I meant.
>In what way?
They have more interesting gameplay. Goroku can move/smash large objects and has the highest attacking damage, and Baban has jet-powered jumping and hovering, and his rockets are cooler than Yae's gun or Sasuke's bombs.

>> No.6700953

>>6700927
This thread quickly devolved into Sony fanboys overrating their games, as usual.

>> No.6700954

>>6700936
>R4
Ridge Racer 64 is better in some ways. I'm not sure which one I prefer right now but 64 allows you to race any car on any track unlike R4 which only has real racing roots and time trial modes. It also has more special cars.
>Gran Turismo
N64 has World Driver Championship if you're into more realistic racers.
>Wipeout
Not even close to F-Zero X.
>n64 had no platformers only boring colectathons that are reminiscent of today's open world games filled with boring objectives to hook off a checklist.
That's just incorrect and sounds like something you've read from someone else (who is also wrong for assuming every 3D platformer is Donkey Kong 64).

>> No.6700961

>>6700953
As if SNES/Genesis babies didn't overrate the shit out of a lot of games.

>> No.6700967

>>6700937
>I'm not the faggot shitting on a good game for retarded reasons
You aren't the one who said Strider was "overrated shit" because someone told you Strider 2 wasn't as good as the first game?

>> No.6700968
File: 93 KB, 223x218, 2016-04-08_0914.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6700968

>>6700961
>calling SNES and Genesis fans "babies" while being a 5th gen fetus
This board would be much better without 5th gen.

>> No.6700980

>>6700930
Always felt Shun had wonkier hitboxes/detection though, and somehow slower gameplay. But, I played it on PSP, which apparently was a butchered port, I'd need to play the original PS1 release some time to judge it fairly. But even without the gameplay in mind, I also remember not enjoying the level design as much as the first game. Still, both are good games I guess, up to personal preference.

>> No.6700982

>>6700967
Because he gave retarded non-arguments such as Strider 2 being "boring and easy", when everyone who isn't a "omg 2D retro!!!" retard knows it's both more exciting and challenging than the first game.

>>6700968
Nah it's retro hipsters like you who are killing thinking everything has to be NES and SNES which is pathetic.

>> No.6700991

>>6700982
Strider 2 is boring and easy though. You're blatantly only praising it because it's on your "team" in your epic fanboy war mindset. Nobody is falling for it though.

>> No.6700994

>>6698320
I bet you thought that was funny in your head.

>> No.6700995

this thread is such a waste of time
look what you people are fucking doing with your lives

>> No.6700996

>>6700982
So it WAS you. Holy shit you're obsessed. Get over it, 5th gen wasn't a 2D goldmine. It had some good arcade ports on Saturn, many of which were actually from 4th gen era, but 5th gen is famously known for its 3D games, and 2D during the era was more of an exotic, niche thing, mainly budget titles by B teams.
You thinking that people preferring 4th gen stuff are "hipsters" makes you look like a desperate lunatic who wants everyone to think 5th gen is actually the best thing ever, guess what: most people don't even like 5th gen even for its 3D.

>> No.6701000

>>6700991
Meh already replied your sad cope before bro.
>>6698256

>> No.6701004

>>6700996
>nooooooo 5th gen can't have good 2D games!!!
Ok, keep being pathetic.

>> No.6701009

>>6700941
I think both Goemon 3 and Akogingu had rather boring level design as a whole, but those new bootleggy characters were actually the deal breaker for me, they weren't fun to play as.

>> No.6701012

>>6701004
Never said 5th gen can't have good 2D, in fact I said Saturn had some good arcade ports.
On the other hand, this is you:
>nooooooo stop liking 4th gen!! you are a baby if you don't prefer 5th gen!! you're just a hipster! There's no other way around it nooooo!!

>> No.6701017

>>6701012
>more strawman
You aren't even trying anymore dumb hipster.

>> No.6701018

Notice how this 5th gen fanboy is actually a PlayStation fanboy, right?
It's ALWAYS Sonyggers making autism spectacles.

>> No.6701023

>>6701018
>muh boogieman
I'm an idort, not my fault if you faggots direct your hate towards the PS1 because of you being dumb /v/niggers

>> No.6701027

>>6701023
If you really were an idort you wouldn't get so triggered over people not thinking Strider 2 and Little Ralph are some holy masterpieces that overshadow the best 2D platformers of 4th gen.

>> No.6701028

>>6701012
>>6701018
What's with this deflection autism from nincels lately?

>> No.6701029

>>6701023
Segafags and Nintendorks will never ever stop seething over Playstation btfo'ing both of them back in the '90s and will always have Sony living in their heads rent free. It's hilarious.

>> No.6701032

>>6700980
Shun's level designs often get revisited in the series (they're in sayonara and fresh.) It's usually considered the best in the series.

>> No.6701038

>>6701027
I get triggered by any retard who recur to shitty fallacies and bad excuses as a way to shit on some good games, you are no exception.

>> No.6701043

>>6701038
Except nobody shat on those games, you were just mad about the truth, that is, that those games, despite not being bad, are not masterpieces that overshadow actual 2D masterpieces from 4th gen.
I'll also remind everyone that this Sony fanboy right here said Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't a bad game. Talk about "shitty fallacies and bad excuses as a way to shit on some good games".
You are the person you hate.

>> No.6701049

>>6701043
>Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't a bad game.
is a bad game*

>> No.6701056

>>6701029
I see it the other way around, I agree more with what this anon posted: >>6690404
In short, Sony fans are the ones that are most obsessed with this whole notion that there HAS to be a winner and that you're ONLY allowed to like the "winner" console, therefore they get very confused when they see people actually liking N64 and Saturn, and react in hostile ways.

>> No.6701057

man I like the playstation but... yeah, I don't really like to be associated with its fans. embarrassing stuff to read.

>> No.6701059

>>6701056
>>6701057
Cringe.

>> No.6701071

>>6701043
Nigga you are just too low iq to keep this discussion going, really. Whether those games are "masterpiece" (another retro hipster meme term) or not just depends on what you are looking for in a game, not everyone is a npc like you who base his opininion just on public reception rather than actual personal experience playing games.

>> No.6701073

>>6701056
I don't really know why any playstation fan would be mad. Sounds like a baseless accusation.

>> No.6701075

>>6701071
So basically: If you like the games you do: you're a hipster NPC.
If I like the less popular games that I like: I am high IQ and totally not a hipster.
Gotcha.

>> No.6701081

>>6701073
>I don't really know why any playstation fan would be mad.
Some guy in this very thread got extremely angry when people suggested that PS1's 2D platformers might not be as good as the stuff on Genesis or SNES.

>> No.6701089

>>6701043
Sonic games are pretty lame, though. Like Mario, they're intended for new and inexperienced players, and if you still like playing them as an adult, you probably suffer from autism.

>> No.6701091

>>6701089
ok

>> No.6701094

>>6701089
Finally, the Mature Gamer has arrived to the thread. We needed you, guy. Actual experienced Adult Mature Players play Little Ralph Adventures, not Sonic!

>> No.6701096

>>6701075
>convenient caricaturization
Your double digit iq is showing. I don't mind if you like popular games I do too, the problem is you can't give proper arguments as for why you think they are good or even "masterpieces superior to any 5th gen game", and recur instead to ad verecundiam and ad populum fallacies. That's the actual meaning of hipster, someone who has no real passion for his hobby and only is on it because he thinks it makes him look cool or knowledgeable.

>> No.6701105

>>6701081
I don't think that's what is happening at all.

>> No.6701106

>>6701096
Yes anon, you are SO high IQ. After all, you know terms like "ad populum" and also like 5th gen 2D games, right? Not like those hipsters who pretend to like SNES and Genesis 2D games.

>> No.6701116

>>6701089
Sonic is shit but Mario is pretty alright, has proper level design for one and isn't on autoplay half of the time for one.

>> No.6701462

>>6701105
That is exactly what happened here. What other kind of fanboy would sperg the absolute fuck out about fifth generation 2D games being better than fourth?

>> No.6701473

>>6701462
I think it's time to take your meds.

>> No.6701478

>>6701473
I think it's time you faced facts and stopped sperging out.

>> No.6701485
File: 2.97 MB, 426x240, Wipeout 3 SE Terramax.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701485

>>6690282
>worse
that's literally a launch title

>> No.6701491

>>6701478
>I think it's time you faced facts
I did that's why I just let mentally challenged people like you just run your mouth at this point.

>> No.6701492

>>6701491
You got told off by a mentally challenged person?

>> No.6701493

>>6701492
>this is how an autistic fantasy looks like

>> No.6701502

>>6701493
The only autistic fantasy going on in this thread is the one you're living in. The one where Little Ralph and Strider 2 are better than Sonic or Strider.

>> No.6701520

>>6701502
If you were so sure of your shit then you wouldn't be so insecure parroting it over and over, I get it you like (or pretend to like) X more than Y, good for you.

>> No.6701523

>>6701502
Strider > Little Ralph > Strider 2 > Sonicshit

>> No.6701529
File: 2.17 MB, 1329x997, Bakushou Jinsei 64 - Mezase! (Japan)-.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701529

Always thought the PS1 looked like it was about to crash at any second

>> No.6701531

>>6701520
I'm reiterating what you said because it's so absurd and blatant exactly what kind of fanboy would say such things.

>> No.6701535

>>6701529
What does that even mean?

>> No.6701540

>>6701531
Whatever you say sperg, already stated that PS1 has both Strider 2 + the best port of first Strider. Strider 2 is still the better game.

>> No.6701569

>>6701540
Not him, but at the end of the day, what are you defending, 5th gen, or just the PS1?

>> No.6701604

>>6701569
I'm defending good games, they have nothing to do with generations nor even muh 2d.

>> No.6701613

>>6701604
Ahhh... ok. For defending good games, you sure seem very adamant about getting the last word that the 5th gen ones are better than the 4th gen ones, though.

>> No.6701634

>>6701613
That's just bullshit you made up cuz you are a desperate autist, I just stated there are games that are just as good even if they are less in quantity. In cases like fighters or shmups though there 5th gen has the edge due to hardware and software improvements.

>> No.6701637

>>6701604
>X classic game is shit, Y obscure crap (conspicuously always a PlayStation game) is way better
Just "defending" good games, nothing else going on here.

>> No.6701649

>>6701637
This is like the 5th time you used the same fallacy, don't you get tired, baby?

>> No.6701653

>>6701649
That makes it the fifth time then you've cried over muh fallacy or some other whiny excuse when I'm clearly correct.

>> No.6701661

>>6701634
What bullshit? You keep repeating over and over that any game that's on 5th gem is better than the entries on 4th gen.
Strider 2? Better than 1 according to you (but you're still not mean to 1 because it has a port on PS1).
Sonic? Shit, it's not on PS1, so it's shit.
It's pretty obvious. I mean, this IS a console war thread after all, and one that started with OP attacking the PS1, so I'm not surprised to see Sony fans here but holy shit, I never thought they'd be so desperate as to want to convince random people online that PS1 has better 2D platformers than 4th gen systems.

>> No.6701665

>>6701653
>calling out blatant fallacies is bad
>being a desperate autist who can't into proper arguments is good
Ok champ.

>> No.6701671

>>6701665
How is what I said a fallacy and not entirely accurate?

>> No.6701679

>>6701661
>What bullshit? You keep repeating over and over that any game that's on 5th gem is better than the entries on 4th gen.
Stopped reading there, you are just too desperate trying to caricaturize me, breath deeply and try calming down first.

>> No.6701690

>>6701671
You are dumb enough to not even figure that out? I already stated it over and over you retard, you haven't given a valid argument as for why those games are bad/inferior, just popularity and authority fallacies (it's TEH sanic we are talking about here guys!!")

>> No.6701692

>>6701690
not him but you never ever gave any reasoning as to why you think any of the games you listed are better than Sonic.

>> No.6701693

>>6701690
>you haven't given a valid argument as for why those games are bad/inferior
Neither have you.

>> No.6701698

>>6701692
Bullshit I gave some if you follow the discussion, I could go on but the kiddo doesn't know/want to talk about actual gameplay because he's stupid enough to dismiss games just based on popularity.
>>6701693
I did more than you, retard.

>> No.6701706

>>6701698
All I see is a perpetually assmad Sony fanboy sperging out about better games. You know the usual.

>> No.6701709

>>6701706
see >>6701493

>> No.6701710

>>6701709
Once again I have to ask, how is what I said not accurate? You are clearly A: mad as all hell and B: a Sony fanboy.

>> No.6701718

I just played a bit of Little Ralph for the first time, to see what the fuzz is all about.
It kinda feels like a mix of a DOS platformer, and a SNES platformer. Ultimately not bad, but I don't see this as being part of any list of the best platformers ever or anything. There's better stuff on PS1, such as Mega Man X4.

>> No.6701723

>>6701710
>how is what I said not accurate?
Do you have memory loss friend? see >>6701690

>> No.6701732

>>6701723
I don't see how that post is relevant short of being further evidence of you being both mad and a Sony fanboy.

>> No.6701747

>>6701732
Your existence isn't relevant but whatever.

>> No.6701753 [DELETED] 

>>6701718
Platformers is a bit genre, you may like it less or more depending of the type of platformers you prefer, in Ralph's case it was made from arcade veterans to arcade fans.

>> No.6701768

>>6701718
Platformers is a big genre, you may like some less or more depending of the type of platformers you prefer, in Ralph's case it was made from arcade veterans to arcade fans.

>> No.6701779

>>6701768
Little Ralph has some pretty shitty level design. Ghouls n Ghosts had less boxy levels in 1988.

>> No.6701780

>>6701768
Really? Because I'm getting a DOS vibe from it, the opposite of arcade.
Who are these arcade veterans who made this game? I'm checking mobygames and it seems it was made by a company called NEW Corporation, doesn't ring a bell. Doesn't seem like they have many games under their sleeve.

>> No.6701783

you niggers STILL talking about that ralph little game? stop giving entity to the sony fanboy

>> No.6701792

>>6701779
>i'll use big words like level design without any proper argument
yawn, keep trying
>>6701780
>Really? Because I'm getting a DOS vibe from it, the opposite of arcade.
Just shut up and keep playing, it gets pretty tough later on.
>Who are these arcade veterans who made this game?
These fag http://shmuplations.com/chippokeralph/, it was a passion project from seasoned arcade players.

>> No.6701796

>>6701783
>still this desperate to shit on a game you never played
kys

>> No.6701802

>>6701792
>Just shut up and keep playing
Don't tell me what to do, idiot. I'm giving your little game a chance and you act like this?
>it was a passion project from seasoned arcade players.
I thought you meant it was actual arcade developers. This is a bunch of literal whos.

>> No.6701804

>>6701792
I told you the reason why, the way every level is comprised of 90 degree angle boxes. Quality platformers started moving away from that shit in the late 80s. It being in a 90s game is just laziness or inexperience, maybe both. Either way it isn't a sign of quality.

>> No.6701806

>>6701779
t. got filtered by the minecart stage and blames it on the level design instead of him sucking ass

>> No.6701808

>>6701792
>These fag http://shmuplations.com/chippokeralph/
Ah, now I see why you namedropped Rastan. You've read it on this interview. I bet you haven't even played the game yourself, you're just using Ralph as a token for 2D platformers on your beloved PlayStation by SONY.
The game is mediocre and it isn't challenging.

>> No.6701818

>>6701806
minecart stage... that doesn't seem very arcade, if anything, it's a console platformer trope.

>> No.6701821
File: 17 KB, 636x358, gokiburi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701821

stop feeding the sony cockroach

>> No.6701826

>>6701818
Why, because the only other game you know of to do minecarts is DKC? Lol.

>> No.6701836
File: 28 KB, 256x224, sonic-2-minecart.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701836

>>6701826
Are you serious? It was everywhere in the 90s. What arcade platformers have a minecart stage?

>> No.6701841

>>6701826
>sony fanboy projecting his fanboyism onto Nintendo
predictable.

>> No.6701848
File: 229 KB, 1885x697, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701848

>all these high resolution screenshots in which the lower res hud textures clash and seams could be seen
Take the nativepill

>> No.6701863

>>6701802
>I'm giving your little game a chance and you act like this?
I don't give a shit about what you do retard, if you want to play something just do it by your own will.
>muh fame
Are you watching celebs or playing a game? come on.
>>6701804
This isn't even what makes a platformer good or bad retard, there are tons of platformers that try to be visually intrincate and still are shit, thinking level design consists in wether the levels are 90 degree angled or not is the most stupid shit I've read in a while.
>>6701808
>Ah, now I see why you namedropped Rastan. You've read it on this interview.
Nah you'd have to be stupid to not notice the mechanics from Rastan on it.

>> No.6701870

>>6701863
>This isn't even what makes a platformer good or bad retard
Level design is what makes a platformer good or bad. And if the levels are lazily constructed box messes in the mid 90s then that is bad level design.

>> No.6701871

>>6701863
>I don't give a shit about what you do retard
You clearly give a lot of shit about people not thinking your little PS1 platformer is on the same level as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

>> No.6701883

>>6701818
>>6701836
lmao you nigger must be joking, whether it's minecart or not is irrelevant, it's an autoscroller with platforming and combat challenge, tons of arcade games do this shit.

>> No.6701892

>>6701883
Autoscrollers suck in any context but especially in arcade games. You basically just have to tolerate their existence in the good games they're in.

>> No.6701894

>>6701883
wetback please

>> No.6701906

>>6701870
>Level design is what makes a platformer good or bad.
Yes and whether the level is 90° angled or not have little to do level design as a whole, retard.

>> No.6701917

>>6701906
Everything being 90 degree angles obviously limits the level design. It's why every good platformer after the late 80s moved away from such limited and simplistic levels.

>> No.6701920
File: 22 KB, 400x350, Animaniacs - Dracula.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
6701920

>>6701883
I'm not joking, minecart stages are very common in console platformers, but I don't remember any in arcade games. Maybe there are some, but I can't remember any. Certainly not in Rastan!

>> No.6701928

>>6701892
>Autoscrollers suck in any context
Wrong, it depends on how you handle it.
>>6701871
I wasn't the one who put the sanic shit as opposition dumbass, it's a bad idea in the first place because sonic isn't even an action platformer.

>> No.6701929

>>6701836
Not a scotformer per se, but there is Konami's Labyrinth Runner from 1987. And besides the trope comes from Indiana Jones, not console games, lol.

>> No.6701937

>>6701920
>Maybe there are some, but I can't remember any.
Play more then, newfag, the fact that you are still bringing the thematic thing (minecart) rather than the functional part (autoscroller) just shows how stupid you are.

>> No.6701942

>>6701928
>it depends on how you handle it.
Let me guess, Sony (pbuh) game does it perfectly and everything else does it wrong?

>> No.6701945

>>6701929
>scotformer
Oh, it's you.

>> No.6701947

>>6701917
Then why og Strider is mediocre compared to much better 90 degree games like Ninja Spirit? fuck off retard, you couldn't tell good level design if your life depended on it.

>> No.6701949

>>6701937
Just admit that guy is right and you are wrong. Stop getting so butthurt.

>> No.6701952

>>6701937
>Play more then, newfag
Well, can you name any?
At least the scotformer guy named one, but you didn't. So there's Labyrinth Runner from 1987, which others are there?
>the fact that you are still bringing the thematic thing (minecart) rather than the functional part (autoscroller) just shows how stupid you are.
Minecart levels are by default autoscrollers.
>>6701929
I know it comes from Indiana Jones (in fact the Animaniacs level is a big Indiana Jones reference as a whole), but I mean specifically in video games. I get that we're on a thread about PS1 so talking about movies seems natural, though.

>> No.6701953

>>6701949
Try harder samefag.

>> No.6701963

>>6701953
The post above your is clearly the guy you were talking to. More than one person knows you're a moron, many more I'm guessing.

>> No.6701979

>>6701947
What is good level design? We know what bad level design looks like: 90 degree angles past the late 80s.

>> No.6701980

There's really not many good 2D games for PSX, most of the ones people bring up are always OK 6/10 games at best. I don't even get why someone would get mad about this because the best games on the system are 3D anyway.

>> No.6702045

>>6701952
>Well, can you name any?
Off the top of my head, Gunforce 2 and Mystic Warriors. Autoscrollers are totally fine as long as they are challenging and not overdone like in Shinobi 3.
Not reading the rest of your shit, done with fucking stupid newfags.

>> No.6702051

>>6701963
Ok, try harder samefag.

>> No.6702129

>>6701747
I know this is 4chan and its some unspoken rule that 95% of posters have to be cruel, and malicious to their fellow man, but really?

>> No.6702131

>>6702129
That's the absolute state of a sony fanboy when confronted about his claims, pay him no mind.

>> No.6702148

>>6702129
If you think that's too much I don't think you are prepared for the internet.

>> No.6702153

>>6702148
I think he means it more like the comment is fedora-tier/unzips behind you-tier.

>> No.6702156

>>6702131
I love how you deliberately stopped shitting on Shinobi X to paint me as the evil Sony fanboy, nigga you are just too easy to read that it's sad.

>> No.6702163

>>6702153
Ahh the autistic wishful thinking again.

>> No.6702167

>>6702156
Maybe because, since Shinobi X isn't on a Sony system, you didn't care much about defending it? Also I never mentioned that game ITT, you're thinking about another anon.

>> No.6702172

>>6702167
Then stop being retarded and read the thread before making stupid claims,

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action