[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 21 KB, 284x177, sega.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
666512 No.666512 [Reply] [Original]

Could SEGA be successful if they made a comeback in the console market?

>> No.666523

No. No investor who likes money would sign up for that after their history in the console market. Sega would have to reinvent themselves a la Apple.

>> No.666526

Sega makes games for the iPhone now.

They're going to have to sell a lot of worthless in app purchases to even come close to having the money needed to build a prototype.

>> No.666532

Nope.

Would this topic even be considered retro?

>> No.666534

depends what you mean by success.
they could certainly make a quick buck off the nostalgia market, but to genuinely compete in the current market would take a huge risk

>> No.666557

>>666534
in the nostalgia market, I think they could reformat the genesis, and make fast cash off of it

>> No.666569
File: 499 KB, 425x315, FUCKING COFFEE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They could if you hopped in a little blue box and crossed a dimensional plane to a world where Sega wasn't retarded.
I do not remember what happens in this image

>> No.666618

Sure
>sega parters with microsoft to allow them to buy SEGA
>Next XBOX is developed partially by microsoft, partially by sega

>> No.666639

>>666557

They are still selling the Genesis in South America. I wish they will just consider to make Saturns or SegaCD's.

>> No.666659

>>666618
You know that the XBox 1's library was partially created from canceled DC games, right? The DC could optionally run a Windows CE environment to make porting to/from PC easy. Before they really got it ready, the DC tanked. The games that were going to be DC WinCE games showed up on the XBox instead.

>> No.666667

>>666639
It's not manufactured by Sega anymore.

Also, the Genesis is a very simple system. The Saturn is a monster.

>> No.666675

>>666618
>Sega merging with Microsoft
No, don't let those fucking gaijin butas anywhere near glorious Sega.

Sega should merge with SNK Playmore and acquire Treasure, and make a deal with Capcom to release their fighters as timed exclusives.

>> No.666676

After their series of terrible marketing, maybe they would realize what NOT to do.
They took risk after unnecessary risk.

Could they throw their hat in the console wars? Sure.
Would they win? Doubtful, not based on technological aspects but more or less would people be willing to gamble their money with a company that has a monumental record of ignorance?

>> No.666691

>>666659
[citation needed]

>> No.666702

>>666676
>Could they throw their hat in the console wars? Sure.
Current Sega can't afford a console launch. They've been in financial troubles for years, and they're in a lot of turmoil right now over the whole Aliens fiasco.

>Doubtful, not based on technological aspects but more or less would people be willing to gamble their money with a company that has a monumental record of ignorance?
The Genesis is still extremely fondly remembered by just about everyone. Everyone I know who is my age up to 10 years older fondly remembers the Genesis, and Sonic before it became blatant trash. All Sega needs to do is get some new blood working on Sonic and launch a console with a hard reboot of the franchise that has the same appeal it did back then, along with a new Virtua Fighter and deals with Capcom and Namco. Sega's biggest strength was always in arcade-quality experiences in the home, they really should band together with SNK and give that brand of gaming one last hurrah.

>> No.666742

>>666702
I really think they should try and spring for the 16 bit sonics. It's the style everyone wants, and after seeing how successful Mega Man 9 and 10 is, it might be worth a shot.

>>666676
Yeah, this is another thing. Sega has enough failed marketing experience to (hopefully) know what works and what doesn't.

>> No.666749

I'm waiting for the industry to crash.

>inb4 pessimists say it wont

>> No.666750

>>666742
>I really think they should try and spring for the 16 bit sonics. It's the style everyone wants, and after seeing how successful Mega Man 9 and 10 is, it might be worth a shot.
I don't. I think they should just stick with the classic levels from Generations and make an entire game out of it with a hard reboot and a new look for Sonic that isn't so edgy and furry pandering.

>> No.666752

>>666702
>The Genesis is still extremely fondly remembered by just about everyone. Everyone I know who is my age up to 10 years older fondly remembers the Genesis

i was born in 94. how am I supposed to remember that?

>> No.666757 [DELETED] 

>>666752
gtfo out this board and go back to /v/, scum

>> No.666761 [DELETED] 

>>666757
He's not underage

>> No.666769 [DELETED] 

>>666752
Obviously if you weren't around to remember something, you're exempt from remembering it.

>> No.666763

>>666752
Two words:

Lurk

Moar

>> No.666767 [DELETED] 

>>666761
nobody born after the 80s should be on here

>> No.666768

>>666750
I disagree. The Classic levels from generations would be an awful direction to go . The levels in generations(for classic at least) were poorly designed and allowed for very little momentum. If they went for classic sonic in terms of level design.

It felt like I was playing Popful Mail or something.

>> No.666773 [DELETED] 

>>666767
Oh boy here we go

>> No.666782
File: 40 KB, 656x500, cryinginspace.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Imagining a world where a triumphant Sega are market leaders with their mix of arcade experiences in the home and eclectic console titles of various genres.

>> No.666779 [DELETED] 

>>666773
it's true. /v/ is where 90s shitbabbies should all go to.

>> No.666785

>>666779
If he wants to post here, what's the problem? The site rules say 18 and up and he's 18.

>> No.666791 [DELETED] 

>>666785
>not being old enough to even remember the 5th gen

>> No.666810 [DELETED] 
File: 46 KB, 377x298, Rodney_King.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>666791
>>666779
>>666773

>> No.666832

>>666767
Stop doing this shit. You can't even remotely enforce it and most underageb& aren't even going to come here in the first place.

>> No.666859 [DELETED] 

>>666832
The majority of the board is underage.

>> No.666862
File: 77 KB, 317x266, unbelievable.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.666867

>>666675
>SNK merged with Playmore
>Sega merging with SNK playmore
>buying treasure
yes

>> No.666874

>>666867
I'm glad you, too, see the light Anon. It's combining all of their strengths.

>> No.666932

>>666691
>[citation needed]
>Google Sega games on Xbox
>Almost all of the early Sega games release on Xbox were original IPs, put out right after the Dreamcast failed
>the Xbox was the most compatible design-wise to the Dreamcast, right down to the design of the controller minus a place for VMUs

Not that hard to figure out.

>> No.666981
File: 53 KB, 500x573, avatar..gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>666675
snk and sega would be the greatest thing to ever happen.

>> No.666997 [DELETED] 

>>666859
>this is what underagers think about every board

>> No.666998

>>666981
>Sonic
>Shenmue revival
>Virtua Fighter
>Shining Force reboot
>Phantasy Star (offline) revival
>Jet Set Radio revival
>Space Channel 5 revival
>Toejam & Earl revival
>Thunder Force revival (developed by Treasure)
>Gunstar Heroes revival
>Skies of Arcadia II
>KoF
>Samurai Shodown
>Metal Slug
>all on one console

Sega could do really fucking well if they just tried.

>> No.667005

>>666981

Funnily enough, SNK came very close to being bought by Sammy at one point

>> No.669028

>>666702
It was more of an opinion, I wasn't going to dig deep into their finances

>> No.669045
File: 72 KB, 600x450, eggs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>666512
The less consoles on the market, the better it is for consumers. To a degree anyways. A 2-way split ensures competitive prices and a good strong push for content.

I don't want to see a 4 or even 3 way split anymore. Honestly, I would prefer every game I enjoy just to come out for PC so I never have to go back.

>> No.669139
File: 56 KB, 320x240, sometimes dead is better.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sometimes dead is better.

Sometimes dead is better.

>> No.669143 [DELETED] 

>>666512
>comeback
Yeah, their comeback would probably be "ur mum".

>> No.669152 [DELETED] 

>>666526
They have the money. That's not the point. It just wouldn't be profitable to have their own console.

We don't have a Sega console right now not because Sega can't, but because Sega won't. They would have to spend a shitload on development, and then they'd be losing even more money because their software will have to be exclusive to their own Creamfast or whatever they'd call it this time. It's just not worth it.

>> No.669156 [DELETED] 

>>666981
>snk and sega would be the greatest thing to ever happen.
Yeah, they'll make Metal Slug 2006 for PS3 and XBOX.

>> No.669159
File: 615 KB, 831x1463, Jap Cover (2nd game).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When was the last time Sega produced something truly "great" anyway

feels like these days even as a software company they're really not doing so great.

All their amazing IPs dying from disuse, but at the same time I wonder if said IPs simply couldn't function in contemporary gaming. Ecco sure couldn't, much as I'd love to see it

>> No.669160 [DELETED] 

>>669045
>The less consoles on the market, the better it is for consumers.
Wrong.

Competition is always good for the consumer.

And flooding the market only causes natural selection outburst like 1983, where only the fittest survive, and new great companies are given way.

The video game market crash was horrible for shareholders, but for video game players it was a godsend.

>> No.669170 [DELETED] 

>>669159
>When was the last time Sega produced something truly "great" anyway
Sega's products have always been flawed. Great, unqiue, but flawed describes both Sonic 3 and Sonic Generations in equal proportions, you know. Sonic 3 was more coherent, but Generations has absolutely stellar, unprecedentedly beautiful visual design. The whole thing is an unrivaled modern arcade-like experience, however flawed... just like the old Sega games.

They were always a weird company.

>> No.669174

>>669170
Sonic Generations was... I guess unremarkable. It didn't have the same problems 2006 and Unleashed had, and it was a more varied game than Colors, but it didn't quite match the experience Sonic Adventure gave.

>> No.669190 [DELETED] 

>>669174
>but it didn't quite match the experience Sonic Adventure gave.
Uh, Adventure was a mess worse than 2006.

Get over your fucking nostalgia. Adventure ran like a tech demo. It was absolutely embarassing to play.

>> No.669194

>>666752
So do you also not know what dinosaurs were?

>> No.669208 [DELETED] 

>>669194
>So do you also not know what dinosaurs were?
To be honset, having been born in the NES era, I have absolutely no taste for the pre-3rd gen games, so I can sort of relate.

What I'm saying is, the 90s kids can not be helped and should be put out of their misery.

>> No.669218

>>669190
I honestly disagree, Adventure was fun to play, varied but never frustrating (except for Big)

>> No.669241

>>666512
> Could SEGA be successful if they made a comeback in the console market?
If they released a console yes.
If they made a comeback yes, by definition.

That being said, no company can be successful at making games in this day and age. They can be successful in the business of selling software and hardware. But it has shit to do with making good games and successfully.

>> No.669245

>>669241
>If they released a console no
fix'ed.
Derp, one sentence ahead of where I was typing.

>> No.669562
File: 68 KB, 720x480, Sonic_Adventure_-_Sky_Chase_-_Screenshot_-_(4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>669190
>Uh, Adventure was a mess worse than 2006.

Are you fucking serious?

>> No.669598 [DELETED] 

>>669208
People born after '91 shouldn't be banned from this board.
There's nothing worse than a 15 year old saying he likes retro games. It's like those 10 year old kids on youtube who say they like 80s music.

>> No.669603

>>669598
>shouldn't
Fucking SHOULD, what's wrong with me today.

>> No.669610

>>669562
Not the guy you're replying to, but the original Adventure was a poorly designed, glitchy, ugly mess. Worse that 2006 is a hyperbole, though, but it's a shitty game that deserves no respect.

>> No.669613

I don't think SEGA has that kind of money to make a risky decision like that. its only a matter of time before somebody buys them out, and then either we'll get even crappier games with our favorite characters or they just kill all of our favorite characters from ever having a game again.

>> No.669618 [DELETED] 

>>669598
People born after 85 should be banned from this board. If you can't remember a time before Sonic, Neon Clothes, Zoobas, and Trapper Keepers, you're just a poser.

>> No.669628

SEGA hasn't made a good game in ages, and has a shitty history as far as consoles go.

If they got back into consoles, here's how it'd go:

1. SEGA releases the SEGA Andromeda.
2. Sonic furfags and other idiots buy it.
3. Every other company releases a superior console.
4. SEGA stops supporting the SEGA Andromeda a year after its release, but not before introducing a ton of crummy add-ons (that they've also stopped supporting).
5. Nobody really cares.

Right now, they're really good at milking what little they have by producing shitty iPhone games people only buy because it's Sonic and they're bored on the bus.

>> No.669635

>>669208
>>669598
>>669618

Go fuck up a different board.

>> No.669638

>>669618
>If you can't remember a time before [...] Trapper Keepers
Trapper Keepers are a 1970's thing. You'd have to be born in, like, 1960 or earlier to remember a time before Trapper Keepers.

>> No.669663

>>669638
Kinda my point. Guy is trying to set guidelines because he thinks he's more legit than some kid who really likes stuff. I say welcome anyone who likes retro. Maybe we can inspire some young people to make more games that are as good as the old ones we remember.

A /videorenaissance/ if you will. Either way, it doesn't hurt if young kids enjoy something retro. Educate the young. People who remember these games when they came out are old enough to have kids anyway. Nothing sacred lost due to sharing great things.

If it's an argument about shitposters, shitposter will post shit. This arbitrary cutoff line that these late 80s early 90s kids seem to think separates "legit" from "posers" is what's grating.

As if some kid born 2 years later is going to be somehow less in-the-know about the SNES/GENS era than you. You didn't even come into a new console generation where you had full faculties of your brain until the PSX.

It just irks me when kids are fighting with kids over what they think is old enough. Polite sage and all that.

>> No.669676

>>666512

It's not that they couldn't. The problem is mainly money.

It's more of a factor than it ever was

For consoles you are expected to push hardware as much as possible even though it will be out dated within a years time due to PC standards. And your games will need to be big budget triple A titles that appeal to the lowest common denominator to actually make a return profit

Sega should make a handheld. The handheld market is cheaper, more cost effective and more devs are willing to take a chance. But a 3 system handheld market would be weird

>> No.669695

>>669676
A two system handheld market isn't working, never has. And now they're losing out to iWhatevers and Android phones.

But we've had multi-handhelds in the past. GB/GG/Lynx, GBA/Tiger.com/NGP

>> No.669716

>>669695

As far as dedicated handhelds I'm ok with it, even though I'm not getting a Vita any time soon

But yeah smartphones have definitely stood their ground because of their ability to appeal to the LCD of intelligence

I loved having a PSP and DS

>> No.669724

>>669676
>Sega should make a handheld.

Why? Smart phones have made handheld gaming consoles obsolete.

Sega should try to make a good game before it even considers a new console. Unfortunately, they have Sonic tied around their neck, and they can't get rid of him because that's really the only thing they have that people recognize.

>> No.669738

>>669724

I meant in the realm of possibility of them making a console, that they should do that instead.

Smart phones suck though, you can't actually play real games on them. There's no buttons or controller

>> No.669748

>>669676
Tell me, as a Nintenfag, what is a Vita good for? All I've ever heard people say about it is emulators.

>>669695
Well, casuals, y'know. Casual ten-year-olds and their Antagonistic Aves.

>> No.669759

>>669748

I'm a bit of a Nintendude as well.

But I really like all systems.

Anyways, Vita is nice because it's a little more powerful than 3DS but still cheap/easy to develop for

The problem though is the high cost of the system and the asinine prices of the proprietary memory cards sony makes you buy

There's a lot of ports but good ports like Persona. And Gravity rush looks really cool, as well as cross play/buy with PS3 stuff

Honestly it's a neat little system that has me interested but until there's a significant price drop I'm sticking with 3DS

>> No.669790

I think alot of the people in this thread don't realize that this is a resounding "NO".

Everyone that made up the sega you cherished are all dead or gone from the company, current sega is just struggling to keep itself up and you might remember all those layoffs and major restructuring they did over the past year. Sega has almost no internal talent worth making anything that you would care about anymore, they are now pretty much just a publisher outside of a few and far between self-developed games of varying quality.

Again. No.

>> No.669854

If Sega want to make a new consule this would be the worst possible time. Everyone is looking a the 720 or PS4; after spending 500$ on one of those consoles they won't want to spend more money on a Sega console.

If Sega wants to make a comeback here's what's going to have to happen.
1. They wait 3-6 years depending how well the PS4 and 720 does.
2. Team up with Namco or Capicorn
3. Have 10+ great games set to release at the same time as the console and have games under 40$ a game.
4. Wait a year or so and than redo the hits
5. Spend a load on adverstiment even after the console has been out for over 2 years

>> No.669924

>Sonic is their only major first party franchise
>Everyone has already taken a side
>R&D costs of developing a new console from ground up
>Won't get anywhere enough 3rd party support
>The 'Call of dooty' generation won't even know who Sega are

I hate to say it, but no, a new Sega console would flop. Maybe in 10 years or so they might look at it if they can build up the company strength again, but for now they are even less equipped for making a games console than Activision, EA and even Ubisoft.

>> No.669990

>>669159

Not retro, but Virtua Fighter 5 is an absolute masterpiece. Easily my favourite fighting game in years.

>> No.670002

>>666998
Let's fuck all these up

>Sonic
>Instead of making an actual sonic game, they make Sonic Adventure 3

>Shenmue
>They have nothing to do with the previous games

>Shining Force
>Now a third person hack and slash action game

>Gunstar Heroes
>Reboot as a First Person Shooter

>Space Channel 5 Revival
>Ulala has been replaced with a new protagonist

>> No.670026

>>670002
>Making Sonic Adventure 3

But this would be a good thing, tripfag.

>> No.670134

>>669628
>SEGA hasn't made a good game in ages
Yakuza would like to have a word with you.

>> No.670176

>>666512
>Could SEGA be successful if they made a comeback in the console market?
Maybe as a co-branding thing; otherwise, no. The SEGA Ouya?

>> No.670183
File: 47 KB, 640x480, 1358365617321.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>670002

Let's fuck this better.

>Sanic Adventure 3 included modarn Sanic gameplay and online multiplayer racing

>Shenmue 3 has nothing to do with the previous games, and in fact isn't even released, marketed or even announced as a Shenmue title - until the introductory chapter ends and Ryo Hazuki becomes the protagonist.

>Shining Force is now a third person hack n' slash developed by Platinum.

>Gunstar Heroes is rebooted as an FPS using Oculus Rift and maintaining frantic twitch reflex gameplay in every conceivable direction.

>Space Channel 5 - the new protagonist is a resurrected Michael Jackson, and you must use his funky lich powers to battle social injustice and re-aquire his Sega arcade collection.

>> No.670208

>>670026
But that game already exists. It has a werehog. Also, fuck chao minigames. Go play digimon.

>> No.670214

>>670183
>Michael Jackson
>funky lich powers
get agdg on this asap!

>> No.670230

>>666512
Considering this generation of consoles is mostly "everyone has the same games with some rare exclusives, so we have to be more than consoles and provide videos and shit", I don't see why Sega would be anything more in the market.

They need to bring back some games though. Make a goddamn Shenmue HD collection that goes with a Shenmue 3 for instance.

>> No.670427

Just rerelease the Dreamcast for $50 with a FOSS SDK.

>> No.670518

I could make it work in someway
>Team up with Take Two Games
>Release GTA V Special Edtion with Red Dead Redemption 2.
>All 2K Sports games exclusive to Sega
>Two Sonic games: First one is a Adventure remake with polished graphics, better control and level design with only Sonic, Tails, Knuckles required to get to the last story with Amy, Gamma and Big for extra mini games and side quest, Chao Garden compatible with iOS and Androids system for multi player and shit. Next Sonic game is something that uses the Adventure formula but no other gameplay styles with Boosting as an upgrade for later in the game and isn't spammable
>Jet Set Radio Remixed with songs produced by Daft Punk and Flux Pavilion
>Shenmue 3 with an HD re-release
>Bayonetta 3 with Anarcy Reigns characters as unlockables
>Resurrect older franchises like Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, Streets Of Rage, Comix Zone, Gunstar Heroes as a 3 rd Person Animu Shmup
>Skies of Arcadia sequel
>Sega All-Stars Racing 3
>Virtua Fighter 6
> A new Shinobi game made by Platinum and. Crossover game with Capcom to make a Shinobi and Strider game

>> No.670534

>>666512
I'm going to assume that they could. But at this point it's too late for them. Sonic is on every console and on iOS/Android. If you just make him exclusive to a new Sega console a lot of people wouldn't be happy about it.

I'm a Sega fanboy, but I don't see them making another console.

>> No.670537

>>666702
> get some new blood working on Sonic

They did that, Sonic Unleashed was developed almost entirely by university graduates who were SEGA fans as kids.

>> No.672252

>>670026
agreed

>> No.672528
File: 1.25 MB, 1920x1200, 1362334722211.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>666675
That is a world I would like to live in

>> No.674280

I don't see why they wouldn't. They have a more diverse range of successful IPs than Nintendo ffs.

They also need to re enter the arcade scene. Imagine all the theme restaurants and movie theaters that have one cabinet of buck hunter and maybe a crazy taxi or hydro thunder, and its been that way since they got the machines in 2003. Instead those thousands of places have one sega machine, that can have new games downloaded to it by the operator at any given time, keeping interest in the cabinet fresh at all times. Something like a internet neogeo with xband, where you could play a co-op game of HotD with someone in a movie theater 2000 miles away, where you would normally have walked by the machine thinking "well I'd rather play through this with someone else, but theres no one around"

>> No.674305

>>670537
Hiring fans of a franchise to reinvent it is the worst idea imaginable. How are Sega that retarded?

>> No.674317

>>674280
Co-op would be a clusterfuck. Imagine putting in four or six bucks or whatever bullshit price they charge for games now and having inevitable connection issues. "Sorry your game has dropped out. You want refund? Fuck you."

>> No.674341

>>674317
They've had that fail-safe in place for 50 years. You make a call and if there's a busy signal you get your quarter back. The credits wouldn't be subtracted until you complete a game. Use your imagination!

>> No.674352

>>674317
further using my imagination, if all players in a game drop out, they would just be replaced by AI so you could finish your match in offline mode, or additional players can join into the game.

>> No.674417

>>666867
Maybe if Sega never touched the business, and SNK did something...what did they do successfully in the last decade?

>> No.674614

It would have to be a niche console like the Neo Geo built in low numbers for a specific audience. Sega was always good at making arcade fans happy with their style of games and ports. Would be really hard to keep at what they do best with any modern market outside of Japan.