[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 643 KB, 480x540, namco-museum-archives.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6536048 No.6536048 [Reply] [Original]

>a newly created 8-Bit demastered version of "Pac-Man Championship Edition" makes its world premiere as a bonus!
>an 8-Bit consolized version of "Gaplus" is included as a bonus!

Are you excited about these brand new NES games?

>> No.6536094

I'm excited to play them on real hardware eventually; I made some ROM packs of the rest of collections for my everdrive. It really is a great selection of FC/NES games.

>> No.6536205

Where can we find the ROMs?

>> No.6536217

>>6536094
It's cool to see Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti get an official western release. Namco seems to understand how much boomers over here love that series, despite the remake being botched.

Not too psyched about all those arcade ports, though... don't think any of them have much on the originals? Wish they'd do a volume 2 of arcade games, I'm still trying to climb the leaderboards in the arcade game museum.

>>6536205
I don't think even the Kunio Kun collection ROMs got uploaded yet and that's been around for months. Might need to be patient.

>> No.6536235

>>6536217
The whole idea of this collection is that it was the NAMCOT Famicom ports, they're intentionally not the arcade versions. That said, they're excellent ports, Galaga and Galaxian, which I've played the most, play wonderfully. Also worth noting that Dragon Buster is better on the Famicom than in the arcade version, particularly in the control scheme. Dragon Buster II is a Famicom original and worth a play as well, it's an action dungeon crawler.

>> No.6536306

That's one of the cooler gimmicks I've seen from a Namco collection in a while.

>> No.6536329

>>6536217
according to some hackers, the Kunio Roms are patched on the fly. i really dont see how they can beat that.

then again, i cant see either why Arcsys is ONLY releasing the already localized games as separate versions for the E-shop instead of the non localized games.

>> No.6536921

>>6536048
Wikipedia article mentions official English releases for Mappy Kids and Libble Rabble for a "Namco Museum Collection" on a plug-and-play console. Pretty sure these never got any official translations either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_Museum#Namco_Museum_Archives

>> No.6537020

>>6536921
Valkyrie no Densetsu has a translation in one of the PS1 Namco Museum games that's still not in MAME (MAME does include other ROMs from compilations like Taito Legends). I suspect it's because a lot of the Namco Museum games are source ports of the arcade games and not emulations, though I don't know for sure if the PS1 ones are.

>> No.6537298

>>6536048
>$25 a pop for a few watered down ports and some original games + 1 new demake
sure the new stuff is cool but it seems like a pretty bad deal to me

>> No.6537982

>>6536094
Fair warning tho, i dunno if you noticed, but on the case of Pacman CE, assuming the roms get properly dumped, its possible its not gonna work properly, and if it does, its not gonna have sound effects.

Why? The music and sound effects from PCE are externally added thru the emulator, no Nes console can output audio in the way the game is doing, since the emulator was made by M2, such a hack is clearly within their skills.

>> No.6538000

>>6537982
I figured there would be some kind of hackery / extra features like that going on. I haven't actually bought / watched any videos of the collection yet since I actually own most of the Famicom carts on them.

>> No.6539041

>>6537298
It's pushing up to the limits of my financial irresponsibility but I'll have to pass until the price drops. at least it's not just a lazy cash grab... it's a cash grab that had some effort put into it.

>> No.6539867 [DELETED] 

reported and saged

>> No.6539898
File: 105 KB, 500x364, 1476928964362.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Downloaded the Namcot Collection on the Japanese eShop so I can get the Japanese games that won't be in the American version
>Turns out they fucked up the digital version of the game and uploaded the wrong games in the wrong indexes
>Bamco took them down and haven't put them back up yet

This is the dumbest fucking mix up since the two times they released two of their games for free instead of correctly uploading their demos.

>> No.6540274
File: 378 KB, 800x800, 1592717619048.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6536048
>yet another motherfucking half assed quarter compilation with missing games BUT HEY HERE'S ONE TOTALLY NYU NEVAH BEFORE SEEN GAEM GAAAAAYYYYYSSS!!

Havent you catch the pattern yet fags?

>> No.6540374
File: 250 KB, 1203x850, legendofvalkyrie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'll eventually pick this up, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the US release and the Japanese. I hear the US version takes away the cool window dressing like virtual shelves, which is part of the point of these namco museums.

And I'd like to play Valkyrie no Boken and Quest of Ki but I don't know if those will be on the US releases. At the same time, the US versions will have translated stuff like legacy of the wizard, and it'll be easier to assemble packs instead of pick-n-choose DLC...